Watership Brown - Red Hare Brewing Company

good

Red Hare Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Brown Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 11-25-2011)

Zach136, Jan 16, 2013

st9647v3, Jan 04, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -2%

LiLKube, Dec 08, 2012

Brandtmo, Nov 19, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -25.8%

Served from a growler into a tulip pint glass.

A: Slightly translucent brown with a slight hint of copper. It has a tight carbonation with a 1.5 finger head when poured that reduces very quickly to a light lacing.

S: There are slight roasted over-tones, slight with a little bit of hops though overall no strong characteristic comes through.

T: I will say upfront that when I see a brown and smell roasted malts I expect a little bit of a caramel like taste with a hint of chocolate roasted goodness. Not so much here. The front of the palate picks up the hops and they are very fresh, almost as piney as a dry hopped beer with some alcohol over tones. You have to fight this beer to get to the sweetness you expect. I will say that if you can let it warm a little the "brown ale" attributes begin to emerge.

M: Here again it doesn't have the feel you would fully expect form the style. There is a bright carbonation that lends to the bright taste.

O: I have to say I like Red Hare beers. I have been to the brewery and know they know their beers. Whether it was just this batch or the stuffy nose and allergy season I am suffering through, this beer did not live up to the style for me. I find myself taking one more swig hoping for the taste to change.

weeheavybutdieting, Nov 11, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +19%

mweso2000, Oct 28, 2012

Yodo, Sep 24, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -28.6%

Had this one during my buddy’s bachelor party! Tick all day, every day! Served from tap into a Samuel Adams sampler shaker. Poured a deep red brown with a one finger slight tan head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, bread, nutty, caramel, caramel hop, dark chocolate, and milk chocolate. The flavor was of sweet malt, bread, nutty, caramel, milk chocolate, and caramel hop. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly average brew. With that said, it has to be known that the bartender called this one ‘Watershit’. Based on the flavor I can see why… Not that it wasn’t complex or anything, but more along the lines that everything in this brew clashed with everything else so badly that it was hard to drink. The aroma wasn’t terrible so it was a little off-putting upon taking my first sip. I wasn’t able to finish my sampler if that gives you any idea..

thagr81us, Sep 13, 2012

Keith_R, Sep 05, 2012

Skelton, Aug 21, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

I had this on tap at TAP in Midtown Atlanta.

Served in a shaker, the beer is brown with red highlights and a massive beige head.

The beer has an aroma of toffee and lightly roasted grains.

The taste is sweet with some backend bitterness. The 7.2% is well hidden until late. Here is toffee, caramel, plums and wheat crackers. It is warming late.

The mouth is slick with low carbonation.

I liked this one and it went great with food. Not a session beer, but an enjoyable one.

Redrover, Aug 03, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +33.1%

fatbatcat, Jul 15, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +25.5%

Comes out of the tap a beautiful, barely transparent chocolaty brown with a fine-bubbled light tan head that leaves exceptionally generous lacing. Chocolaty, malty aroma has a hint of caramel and is slightly sweet - and very appealing. Rich, very pleasing flavor has malty and chocolaty tones with hints of caramel and wood. Texture has good body and plenty of fizz. I have spent months trying to catch this one, and it was well worth the hunt.

Cyberkedi, Jun 17, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours a dark brown with a nice creamy head really nice for a brown. Not a lot on the nose nothing offensive just nothing of note. Taste is great roasty slightly hoppy very plesant. Mouthfeel is creamy goes down really easy. Best beer ive had so far from this new GA brewer

alk3kenny, Jun 11, 2012

ColSanders123, May 26, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +33.1%

AlCzerik, May 25, 2012

coreyfmcdonald, May 11, 2012
4.7/5  rDev +31.7%

I can barely comprehend all the schmancy words and terms used to describe beer, so I won't try.

I first tried this on tap at Taco Mac in Johns Creek, GA while working on my Brewinversity Masters degree along with swimming Hot Wings, so I can't say I tasted much of it the first time, except to give it the thumbs up. I liked it.

Then I picked up a growler of it at Crafty Draught in Cumming. I'm not sure why I liked it so much, but this beer is excellent. I favor amber ales, chocolate stouts, and lagers. So this was somehow right up my alley. It was not overly complicated in flavor or particularly outstanding in any one aspect, but it just works. One frothy glass tasted just as great as the next and the growler was empty in short order. I've tried several brown ales before but they always seem sort of boring.

I will certainly seek this one out whenever I can get it. Glad to know there is yet another great craft brewer in the greater Atlanta area.

beeritswhatsfordinner, Apr 15, 2012

harrylee773, Mar 20, 2012
2.48/5  rDev -30.5%

Growler. Served at around 45F.

Pours clear reddish brown with a one finger tan head that leaves a few spots of temporary lacing and holds a light cap.

Aroma is coffee, nutty and bready with citrus and floral hops. Some cherries? Kinda weird. Mild strength.

Flavor has some nutty, bready malt with a bit of caramel and chocolate, quite a bit of hops for a Brown, dunno if it fits really well. Also some Cherry Coke & Root Beer. Kinda weird.

Mouthfeel is light/medium bodied with mild carbonation.

Not really blown away by this one...come across sort of odd for a Brown Ale...too hoppy for the style and the hops they use don’t fit well. An oddball.

elgiacomo, Mar 03, 2012

OldTime, Jan 28, 2012
2.98/5  rDev -16.5%

16 ounce pint - $5.25 at Taco Mac in Canton, Georgia. The Taco Mac menu denotes an ABV% of 7.2.

Appearance: Served up a clear, fairly bright mahogany body with a slim, ivory-hued head. Looks like an amber ale. Taco Mac staff has been known to goof now and again, though, a quick double-check was made to confirm that this was, indeed, the Watership "Brown".

Smell: Not too terribly aromatic here, only offering up a thin sniff of vaguely sweetish malts. Rabbits and even the aromas of rabbit book-inspired beers scare easily, I suppose.

Taste: Scantly bready maltiness with a mealy grainy quality to it. Crystal malt sweetness and incorporated fruitiness along with the low estery quality of the yeast. Subtle hop character, lightly bitter. Some alcohol warmth creeping in, overshadowing the malty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: From even the first glance of the waitress walking this one over to me, it just seems more akin to an amber, really. And one with a bit more alcohol than needed at that.

ChainGangGuy, Dec 25, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

I bought a growler of this very nice brown ale from the Beer Growler in Avondale Estates. Pours more of an amber than a brown and with a somewhat slight head. The nose and taste, however, are all about the brown. Roasty aromas in the nose with a substantial citrus undercurrent and a slight note of banana. Balanced fruitiness and roasty notes in the taste. Citrusy to start, and then develops deep roastiness with a bit of bitter chocolate on the finish. Deeply rewarding flavors balanced by the bright citrus. Smooth and full without being chewy. A fine effort and with a unique profile. Really nice fresh like this. Nice to see this brewery's offerings in the community!

Georgiabeer, Nov 25, 2011