Watership Brown - Red Hare Brewing Company

Red Hare Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Brown Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 11-25-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 116 | Reviews: 26
3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

My 150th review! I'll always remember you, watership brown... .

Appearance 3.5: Pours out a deep, golden amber with a fine 1/4" creamy head. Very attractive.

Smell 3.0: Nice bouquet. Malt, brown sugar...but I also detect a hop I do not care for. Slight bleu cheese bouquet mixed with a rotten lemoniness. Yeah. I do not like that hop.

Taste 3.75: Front is where some very pleasant maltiness seeps in. Middle is smooth, creamy and neutral. Finish is where some amazing malt and brown sugar and caramel creeps up on you along with a very slight hoppiness. Finish is long and this is where some previously unnoticed toasted grains appear in the flavor palate.

Mouthfeel: 4.0: Carbonation level is perfect for this type of beer and really enhances the tasting experience.

Overall 3.50: Very nice taste and drinking experience with this beer. However, the experience was tempered somewhat with the hop I do not like (wish I could find out what it is!). Regardless, this beer is entirely sessionable and thoroughly enjoyable. It may be a bit sweet for some, but I would recommend you try this brew if you can find it.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Drank this out of a Sam Adams pint glass. This beer starts off with a cloudy hazy brownish body topped off with a thin tannish head.

The nose is picking up a lot of roasted malt mingling in with milk chocolate and a hint of caramel. Very sweet and inviting.

The flavor seems to be well balanced with a liberal amount of hops (that my nose failed to pick up on) matched with a malty sweetness that ends with a dry coco flavor.

The mouthfeel is smooth, somewhat oily, with low carbonation--as it should.

I like this brew a lot. Overall, I know this is far to high on the ABV scale to be considered a session beer, but I could drink this all night.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - Light brown, with a little bit of clarity. 1 finger of head, and nice sticky lace left on the glass

S - Roasted grains and chocolate. Sweet.

T - The taste is sweet, with some chocolate notes. Coffee, roasted goodness

M - Light bodied, well carbonated.

O - A pretty nice drinking experience. I think this one will grow on you over time. Looking forward to more from this local brewery (Atlanta)

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

2.68/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from a growler into a tulip pint glass.

A: Slightly translucent brown with a slight hint of copper. It has a tight carbonation with a 1.5 finger head when poured that reduces very quickly to a light lacing.

S: There are slight roasted over-tones, slight with a little bit of hops though overall no strong characteristic comes through.

T: I will say upfront that when I see a brown and smell roasted malts I expect a little bit of a caramel like taste with a hint of chocolate roasted goodness. Not so much here. The front of the palate picks up the hops and they are very fresh, almost as piney as a dry hopped beer with some alcohol over tones. You have to fight this beer to get to the sweetness you expect. I will say that if you can let it warm a little the "brown ale" attributes begin to emerge.

M: Here again it doesn't have the feel you would fully expect form the style. There is a bright carbonation that lends to the bright taste.

O: I have to say I like Red Hare beers. I have been to the brewery and know they know their beers. Whether it was just this batch or the stuffy nose and allergy season I am suffering through, this beer did not live up to the style for me. I find myself taking one more swig hoping for the taste to change.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Watership Brown from Red Hare Brewing Company