Watership Brown - Red Hare Brewing Company

good

Red Hare Brewing Company visit their website
Georgia, United States

American Brown Ale |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 11-25-2011)

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Drank this out of a Sam Adams pint glass. This beer starts off with a cloudy hazy brownish body topped off with a thin tannish head.

The nose is picking up a lot of roasted malt mingling in with milk chocolate and a hint of caramel. Very sweet and inviting.

The flavor seems to be well balanced with a liberal amount of hops (that my nose failed to pick up on) matched with a malty sweetness that ends with a dry coco flavor.

The mouthfeel is smooth, somewhat oily, with low carbonation--as it should.

I like this brew a lot. Overall, I know this is far to high on the ABV scale to be considered a session beer, but I could drink this all night.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

3.59/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - Light brown, with a little bit of clarity. 1 finger of head, and nice sticky lace left on the glass

S - Roasted grains and chocolate. Sweet.

T - The taste is sweet, with some chocolate notes. Coffee, roasted goodness

M - Light bodied, well carbonated.

O - A pretty nice drinking experience. I think this one will grow on you over time. Looking forward to more from this local brewery (Atlanta)

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

2.65/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served from a growler into a tulip pint glass.

A: Slightly translucent brown with a slight hint of copper. It has a tight carbonation with a 1.5 finger head when poured that reduces very quickly to a light lacing.

S: There are slight roasted over-tones, slight with a little bit of hops though overall no strong characteristic comes through.

T: I will say upfront that when I see a brown and smell roasted malts I expect a little bit of a caramel like taste with a hint of chocolate roasted goodness. Not so much here. The front of the palate picks up the hops and they are very fresh, almost as piney as a dry hopped beer with some alcohol over tones. You have to fight this beer to get to the sweetness you expect. I will say that if you can let it warm a little the "brown ale" attributes begin to emerge.

M: Here again it doesn't have the feel you would fully expect form the style. There is a bright carbonation that lends to the bright taste.

O: I have to say I like Red Hare beers. I have been to the brewery and know they know their beers. Whether it was just this batch or the stuffy nose and allergy season I am suffering through, this beer did not live up to the style for me. I find myself taking one more swig hoping for the taste to change.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

2.55/5  rDev -28.4%

Had this one during my buddy’s bachelor party! Tick all day, every day! Served from tap into a Samuel Adams sampler shaker. Poured a deep red brown with a one finger slight tan head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, bread, nutty, caramel, caramel hop, dark chocolate, and milk chocolate. The flavor was of sweet malt, bread, nutty, caramel, milk chocolate, and caramel hop. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly average brew. With that said, it has to be known that the bartender called this one ‘Watershit’. Based on the flavor I can see why… Not that it wasn’t complex or anything, but more along the lines that everything in this brew clashed with everything else so badly that it was hard to drink. The aroma wasn’t terrible so it was a little off-putting upon taking my first sip. I wasn’t able to finish my sampler if that gives you any idea..

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

I had this on tap at TAP in Midtown Atlanta.

Served in a shaker, the beer is brown with red highlights and a massive beige head.

The beer has an aroma of toffee and lightly roasted grains.

The taste is sweet with some backend bitterness. The 7.2% is well hidden until late. Here is toffee, caramel, plums and wheat crackers. It is warming late.

The mouth is slick with low carbonation.

I liked this one and it went great with food. Not a session beer, but an enjoyable one.

4.75/5  rDev +33.4%