Straffe Hendrik Bruges Tripel Bier 9° - Brouwerij Straffe Hendrik / Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan

Straffe Hendrik Bruges Tripel Bier 9°Straffe Hendrik Bruges Tripel Bier 9°

Brouwerij Straffe Hendrik / Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan visit their website

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: atis on 02-12-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Straffe Hendrik Bruges Tripel Bier 9° Alström Bros

rekel, Nov 28, 2011

ej285701, Nov 22, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +1%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden amber with a puffy, lingering white head. Big bubbles of carbonation are very apparent. Looks a little bubbly for my liking.

S: Smooth, gentle aromas of cream, biscuits, lemon, orange, pineapple, and subtle coriander are evident. There is a slight hint of fiery alcohol on the nose as well.

T: Notes of cream, biscuits, minerals, coriander, lemon, orange, grass, kumquat, and pineapple wash across the palate. The finish is long and intense with notes of tart citrus washed in prickly, peppery alcohol.

M: Medium to full bodied, though it's closer to the latter than to the former. Dry, firm, and spritzy in the mouth.

O: This is a nice tripel that hits all the high points of the style. Out of the bottle I found it to be slightly too prickly and bubbly to really be a knockout, but it is a very good tripel nonetheless.

mrfrancis, Nov 07, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 25.4 ounce caged and corked bottle into my Chimay chalice. Cork says 2009 on it.

My wife and I visited the Straffe Hendrik brewery during a 2001 visit to Belgium and loved the beer. I saw Straffe Hendrik in Whole Foods and decided to pick up a bottle for us to share. She was pregnant at the time, so I had to wait some time to crack it open.

Beer pours a hazy golden amber. Big bubbles of boisterous carbonation created a good two fingered, fluffy white head.

Nose is both fruity and bread. I get some real sweetness, almost like golden raisins and some apple. The traditional Belgian yeast aroma in noticeably absent.

The taste is very rich. The hops make their presence known with a nice dose of bitterness. There's also a big helping of tropical fruits and some bready and carmel malts. The flavor is very well rounded, complex and balanced.

The mouthfeel is bubbly, dry and well carbonated. It's a medium bodied beer.

Overall, after an absence of a decade, I may have built up Straffe Hendrik in my mind a little bit. It's still a very good triple, but not the mind blowing beer I remember from Brugges. Perhaps my palette has matured. In any case, a happy walk down memory lane.

pburland23, Oct 29, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Lovely clear amber nice lacing

The nose is very subdued, but apples and other esthers are there, just very light, as on the taste. This is a basic triple, nothing fancy, with a solid malt backbone. The ale finishes slightly sweet, which is fine, but the complexity is lacking.

Nice silky mouthfeel with appropriate carbonation. Overall, it is a bit above average, but nothing to write home about. A bit high at 9% abv for an afternoon sipper, but it's hidden well. Well made, just nothing out of the ordinary.

robbyc1, Oct 26, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -1%

On tap at Brassiere Beck, Washington, D.C.:

The beer appeared a clear, dark yellow, almost a copper color with a thick fluffy head with decent retention. No lacing to note.

The nose had citrus to it along with a nice bready quality and a bit of alcohol was noticeable.

The taste followed the nose very well along with some noticeable spices and perhaps some earthy hops and a somewhat nice boozy finish.

The beer had a medium feel to it with great carbonation. The beer was clean, crisp and very pleasant to drink. Overall, a very good example of the style.

PhillyStyle, Oct 04, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

750 mL bottle taken home from this year's Belgian Beer Fest. It was poured into my Duvel tulip.

Straffe Hendrik's Tripel pours a totally clear dark orange. It's a little dark for the style, and it has a bone colored head that maxes out at about four fingers in height. Head retention is pretty good, but aside from a near solid ring at the top of the glass, lacing is very spotty. The nose is disappointingly weak, but there are some classic tripel elements presence. A sweet pale fruit aroma (primarily apricots) by far dominates, and it's supported by a surprisingly potent earthy herbal hop smell. Spice/clove phenols are barely there. The flavor starts out just like the nose, big apricot/fruit and a little bit of candy sweetness. The mid palate bitterness is a little bit sharper than I would have anticipated, but still keeps itself in check. Noble hop influence is a little bit less intense here, leaving a little more room for the phenols to shine through. The mouthfeel is up there with the best of them. The body is light, yet creamy, and the carbonation is effervescent and lively. Straffe Hendrik's tripel is a decent beer, but I'm pretty confident I could find a tripel I prefer to this one on the shelves of most decent bottle shops.

axeman9182, Oct 02, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

A: I poured into a tripel glass. he color is golden to reddish yellow/gold. A hard pour had a nice thick 2" head. cloudy. good lacing.

S: Bread like nose, I guess biscuit like is good....Fruity and hoppy. cereal and flowery at the same time. hops come out citrus like. with lots of hop perfume.

T: Thick rich and sweet at first. its coats your palate, then you get that flowery hop bite, nice balance, dry finish. its a tad on the sweet side for a tripel. but who says it cannot be sweeter?
Still not my favorite I had. as its warms up past 50f, the malt really stands out and you get even more hops, nice balance there.

M: medium carbonation and medium body, dry. easy to drink no alcohol even at 9%, kind of dangerous to the non experienced REAL Belgian beer drinker.

O: I think I have to finish the 4 pack to know more, I will write more later. I like it.

azorie, Sep 29, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours translucent gold with a lot of snowflake/dandruff yeast flakes. Huge foam that has staying power. Nose reminds me of yeast-bready banana bread, holiday cakes, and pineapple display at a Hawaiian buffet. Palate offers plenty of pineapple, tartness, wheaty/malty backbone, and a chewy yeastyness all through till the finish. Also has a musty, female pheromone sort of mustiness to it, in a good way. Smile.

yemenmocha, Sep 17, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +11.2%

A – Apple juice body. Small to medium bubbled head. Ok retention, but poor lace.

S – Pear, nectarine, honey, and a soft kick of booze.

T – A nice mirror of the nose up front. Pear, nectarine, and honey pair marry up with coriander and clove. Soft, warm booze accents the finish.

M – Nice carbonation. Medium body. Sweet, fruity finish.

O – A solid triple.

vfgccp, Sep 04, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -15%

Billowing head grows ever skyward above liquid shining like light copper penny ...

Heavy malts and a hint of soy sauce in the nose, a bit sweet

Heavy beery flavor, a profile of multi grain artisan bread, with some American macro lager brew qualities to it as well. Walnuts, and mild pine nuts

Medium bodied, heavily creamy carbonation and a little warmth in the end

Overall, a very drinkable beer, but lacking in the flavor depth I was expecting for the price

JoeAmerican77, Aug 30, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

I'm surprised this has not seen the most favourable reviews. To my mind it's one of the best tripels going. Quite similar to Dulle Teve (Mad Bitch) in that it's the classic taste of a tripel.

I recently held a beer-tasting session with 25 different Belgian beers. This was the unanimous winner, seeing off strong competition from St Bernardus in close second.

It's sleek and classic; impressive in being able to match it's own alcoholic strength.

TripelHunter, Aug 22, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -14.2%

Straffe Hendrik Brugse Tripel Bier 9° | 750 ml. | 9.0% ABV | 2010 vintage

Brewer: Brouwerij Straffe Hendrik / De Halve Maan
Style: Tripel
Glass: chalice

Appearance:
As with its Quadruppel, De Halve Maan has created some really elegant bottle art. The brew itself is cleaner and clearer than any other Tripel I've seen. The amber body sits under a bleached, rocky head of foam, and that's about it.

Aroma:
Sweet tropical fruits and bready malts.

Taste:
At first, there's almost nothing—the faint taste of biscuit malts and caramel. It is only towards the end of the sip that an array of tropical fruits caramel, and Saaz and Stygian Golden hops accelerate into my taste buds. The flavor lag is peculiar.

Mouthfeel:
As clean, crisp, and bubbly as it looks. If not for the heavy body, I might have mistook this for a pilsner.

Harmony:
It's a nice Tripel, but it doesn't blow me away with complexity. The tropical fruits are undeveloped, and exist only as an indefinite sweet mass of flavor. The high carbonation gives it a livelier feel than most Tripels I've had, which probably makes this especially well suited to a greasy or meat-heavy meal.

Would I get it again?:
Probably not.

Bottled: 2010
Served: August 7, 2011

Price = $10.99 at Whole Foods (NYC)

BeerNemesis, Aug 08, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -1%

Poured from 330mL bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: rich golden hue with a somewhat hazy body. Head is a finger of fizzy ivory foam which dissipated quickly. There are some clouds of suspended yeast material in the body as well. Not bad, but could be prettier.

Smell: sweet malt aroma with a little earthy/noble hop character. Light, but not bad.

Taste: sweet and balanced malt flavor with a little bit of chalky character. Bitterness is balanced and there is not a lot of complexity going on, but it is tasty and seems well-crafted.

Mouthfeel: medium body with great carbonation in spite of its mediocre foam cap. This beer has an excellent creaminess, which I love in a tripel.

Overall: tasty and drinkable, this beer's flaws are more in appearance than anything else. I would have this again, though.

flagmantho, Aug 07, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

A: pours dark clear golden. Head was about a finger almost two. Also almost no lacing.
S: sweet, fruity, a bit of yeast spice. A light hint of clove and banana.
T/M: again sweet malt, also some sugared fruit. A light amount of yeast spice, including clove. Overall this is bubbly and even though it is a little thick it seems crisp.
O: very easy to drink, also very refreshing after a long night at work.

rootbeerman, Jun 16, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

Easy pour with a decent head. Straw coloring but almost no aroma. A slightly more biting taste of hops than most light Belgians but not overwhelming at all. The flavor isn't too impressive for the style, but I was surprised that I didn't detect the level of alcohol present.

wowbagger, Jun 14, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

A- Pours a dark gold color w/ nice two finger off white head. Massive carbonation and lacing evident w/ this beer. I can see all kinds of yeast floating in the glass, which I dig. This beer seems alive when you look at it. Nice tripel.

S- Wow- this is complex. Sugar, floral, peach, orange, spices- this seems to have just about everything. Nice balance, but a little on the sweet side. Definitely improves and opens up as the temperature rises (as expected).

T- Best before 2013, so I'm covered. I'm assuming this beer is a couple years old. Very smooth and balanced, but a sweet tinge to it. Yeast and malt round out the smells in the taste. Very nice- but for this style, I've had better. I really like this beer, and have had it often. I just don't think it quite makes it up to the 4.5 level for me. Very high 4 though. No alcohol in the taste even though it's 9%.

M- Very smooth, chewy, satisfying. I love the feel of this beer. It's a good one. Super smooth/balanced aftertaste as well. Well done.

O- Great Belgian tripel, but on the outside looking in when you're talking about the best in the style. Still, this is definitely worth picking up, and I will continue to enjoy this magnificent brew. Nice summer tripel that's not too heavy. I'll continue to drink it year round though.... Cheers.

jayhawk73, May 30, 2011

Served into my Chimay chalice. Blonde light sweet. Abundant head. Nice appearance.
Sweet aroma.
This is a typical tripel. A wonderful choice for a nice weather beer if you don't like lagers. Or even if you do. I am quickly growing fond of tripels and this is as good as any.
A worthy effort.

NWer, May 18, 2011

750ml

Amber golden color, minimal head, not many bubbles present. Aromas of caramel and booze. The taste is full bodied but lacking complexity, very one dimensional. Flavors of dried fruit and honey Teddy Grahams. The finish kind of just creeps up, there is no progression of flavors, just sweet malt and a warmth from the booze. Mouthfeel is slightly rich, slick. Ok at best, not a favorite.

Tripphop, May 06, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +1%

11.2oz brown bottle with a best before date.

Mild haze within the golden color, thin lacing is what is left after a quick to foam and quick to drop head. Botanical, exotic fruit, chalky yeast, phenolic and cracker-like nose. Crispness pops from the creamy medium body. Honey and alcohol. Dry maltiness melds withe fruity alcoholic esters, super ripe pineapple. Yeasty, graininess goes a bit biscuity. Kiss of cotton candy and lavender. Dry warming finish with some vague herbal hop flavor.

Definitely in the raw and it shows though stays well within the style, a good pick.

Jason, Apr 18, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -12.4%

I picked this beer up solely at the recommendation of the guy who works at Hop City in Atlanta. His other choices and notes were good, so let's hope that he has a winner with this one too.

Appearance: Pours very clear for the style as a slightly orange golden color with a small 1/8" head of bone white bubbles that grew to about 1/4" after about 30 seconds after the pour. There were lots of bubbles rising so a couple minutes after the pour the head really hadn't faded.

Aroma: The aroma has a pretty solid amount of hops as it should and there are some solid toasty Pilsner notes in here. Otherwise, the aroma is pretty clean in the cold beer. There is a subtle spice from the alcohol that is contributing the the spicy hops. Overall, the aroma is pretty decent for the style.

Taste: The flavor is pretty close to the aroma in that there is good hopping and some pretty serious malt. The body is significantly heavier than I like for this style, and though the carbonation is pretty high, it still sits on the palate a bit syrupy. The finish has some pretty significant bittering hops to it, but I think that the malt is the winner in the end.

Opinion: This is a pretty decent Tripel, but I wouldn't call it one of my favorites by any means. It is too under-attenuated for the style and it lacks the necessary crispness that this beer requires. that said, it is a pretty decent beer overall, and it you call it a Quad, it is fine.

SkeeterHawk, Mar 28, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +11.2%

In my life-long quest of finding my favorite Tripel I have come across Straffe Hendrik's lil tasty treat. Nice lookin' bottle with a crescent shaped Moon-face on the front. Handsome stuff.

First thing to catch my eye here was the yeast floaties. I don't see that very often in Tripels so I'm not giving it higher points. As well, it wasn't as foggy as I'm used to. With that said, it was darker than usual and sported a thick bland white head that had great retention and some sticky, patchy lacing.

Floral, hoppy, honey-dust (my own term) spice feel that also hit me with some clove smell. Very nice.

Fruity,lively and sweet taste that hides the booze very well - it appears shyly in the aftertaste - a good thing. It delivered candy sugar with a dry finish that delivered a tiny bite. Incredibly tasty.

For fans of the sweeter style of Tripels, you can do no wrong here checking this bad boy out.

ElijahCSkuggs, Mar 06, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Suggested to us at Brasserie Beck in DC. Positioned as his favorite Tripel ever. Figured it had to be worth a shot.

Came in proper glassware with a sturdy off white foamy head. The first thing to notice is that this is the darkest Tripel I've ever seen. Basically amber in color with a dull finish & slight haze. Some lacing.

Aroma is very balanced and much more malt focused vs. the traditional style. Lots of yeast notes below the malt tones. A bit dank as well.

Pretty sweet, malty and balanced. Not very Tripel like in my mind, but a decent beer. Very fruity with some candied sugar adding to the sweet notes. Pretty interesting.

A touch thicker in body with full carbonation.

A nice little beer, but certainly not among my favorite Tripel's ever. Glad I tried it.

Reagan1984, Mar 01, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

A- golden straw with a very slight haze. The head reminds me of lake foam that washes up on the beach that doesn't stick around too long.
S- pears, pears, some malt that resembles more of a heffe, pears, and that oh so familiar Belgian yeast.
T- the pears really stick around here along with some fresh apple. This reminds me of a fruitier westmalle tripel. The roasted malt they claim on the label isn't really there, the color suggests that's also the case. The saws and styrians are there on the back end .keeping all that fruit sweetness in check and lending a pinch of dry to the equation. Is there alcohol in this?
M- nothing too heavy, fairly crisp.
D- this brew could get me in trouble. Enough said.

This could be a really dangerous fallback in the stable of tripels.

LoadedSchells, Feb 23, 2011

A 330ml bottle with a BB of Sept 2013. I bought this at my local beer specialist in York, having tried it for the first time on a trip to Belgium last year. The Half Moon brewery in Bruges, where this is made, is well worth a visit.

Poured into a Stella chalice. A deep golden-amber colour with strong carbonation; a great column of fine bubbles rises from the centre of the glass. A huge white head forms on top; this has excellent retention. A rich aroma: sweet, fruity and alcoholic. Notes reminiscent of apricot and lemon, and a hint of sourness. Fantastic!

The taste is sweet and complex, with a lingering finish. Light hints of fruit. Considerable notes of alcohol, which make for a warmer flavour. Mouthfeel is very smooth and slightly astringent. A faintly sweet aftertaste remains.

A lovely tripel that posesses a rich yet subtle flavour. The first time I had this was with dinner, and I concluded that it went well with food. Not an everyday beer, but worth seeking out.

jazzyjeff13, Feb 07, 2011
Straffe Hendrik Bruges Tripel Bier 9° from Brouwerij Straffe Hendrik / Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan