Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel - Brouwerij Straffe Hendrik / Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan

Straffe Hendrik QuadrupelStraffe Hendrik Quadrupel

Brouwerij Straffe Hendrik / Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BucBasil on 11-05-2010

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 532 | Reviews: 143

Overall my favorite beer of all time. This is a fragrant, herbal/spiced, thick, syrupy black-as-night beer. You can't see any light through this beer at all, a huge plus in my opinion.

Pour this into a tulip glass if you can't get glassware from the brewery. (I am working on a way to get some- any suggestions?)

This beer has a thick head with small, light brown bubbles and good flavor there too.

One word of caution: the Straffe Quad has 11%abv so you might want to drink conservatively if you haven't had a beer this strong before. It'll sneak up on you before you realize it.

I'm sure not everyone is in love with this style of beer but I am although I didn't know that until I had one after a look around the Halve Maan brewery in Brugge, Belgium. A fantastic tour and especially memorable because of the strong smell of cooking hops and spices in the air- a reflection of the quality of both the tour and the beer itself.

As I try more quads I suppose I may find one I like better, but I tend to measure all beers in this style against the Straffe Hendrik as I probably will be for quite some time. I can't imagine how this beer could be improved upon.

4.99/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours a gorgeous burnt sienna into my ommengang snifter. soft white head that lingers up and down the glass. The aroma of delicious candy sugar fades into sugar plums and mandrin oranges. The flavor of bready caramel malts lingers as candied fruit wash over the tongue with a warming brandy quality. It dances over the tongue and makes me wish for more!

4.94/5  rDev +19.3%

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a deep brown almost black with white head.

Smell - Ok, I'm not great with smells overall, but this one was strong and malty, what I would expect.

Taste - So very good. Robust, complex full of malty goodness.

Mouthfeel - lower on carbonation then I am used to, but did not detract from the experience at all.

Overall - exceptional beer. MUST try. I will be buying this again, particularly if I can find cases.

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

4.79/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.76/5  rDev +15%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel from Brouwerij Straffe Hendrik / Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan