Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel - Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BucBasil on 11-05-2010

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
4.54/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer is really beautiful, of a dark brown color a big and persistent yellowish foam.
Smell and taste are mild, sweet, malty and a bit yeasty.. delicious. The highligths go to the vanilla notes.
Feel is also indredible. Body, carbonation and bitterness at high level and well balanced.
Maybe I'll give this beer the prize of beer of the year =)
And I had it in Belgium!

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - poured into an oversized wine glass. Motor Oil black. A frothy, cream colored 2 finger head. Head eventually dwindles down to a half centimetre where it remains.

S - Malt, mild dark fruit? Some toasted pie crust. and yeast. I would rate smell higher if it was stronger.

T - almost like a sweet marinade. Strong Spice. tastes of "dark bread" if you can imagine. The head brings a refreshing creaminess to the taste. Short alcohol bite right before the end. more malt on the finish. Overall a dark taste.

M - Great carbonation that continues to sizzle in the mouth that keeps the heavy taste from being overwhelmingly think. Slick and sugary. Leaves sugary coating in the back of the throat like when you eat skittles.

Overall - One of the best I've had. Complex, just the one almost got me drunk. 11%. there's a good reason this 11.2 oz cost $6.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Deep brown with red highlights and a nice off white head that doesn't linger forever, but sticks for awhile.

S- Nice Alcohol smell and strong estery highlights.

T- Delicious "dark" sugar taste, not sweet like a lot of quads. Little coffee taste, fairly dry.

M- Smooth and dry. Not overly carbonated.

4.67/5  rDev +14.7%

Memorable beer! Pours a nice cola brown with thick bubbles and lacey-creamy head that lasts for the entire duration of the pint. Nose is rich with musty, attic & cave aromas with dark cherry and an estery/yeasty element . Enormous carbonation and therefore tingling pleasant mouthfeel that hosts a range of flavors from cherry to black tea to raisinbread. Finish has some of that musty quality and more raisins.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Straffe Hendrik Quadruple. 4 pack of 11.2 oz bottles. Nice artwork of a celestial moon with a face on both the bottle and cap. Box has a detailed history of the brewery and it's present day status in Bruges. Pours a beautiful deep dark brown with decent head. Has the same nose as the best quads, Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus come to mind. Raisons and figs. Nice lacing. This quad tastes awesome! It has perfect carbonation and the 11 percent is very well hidden. This Belgian, in my opinion, ranks up at the top of the quads. I'm very surprised at earlier reviews as I will definitely seek out more. This is a must try. Enjoy!

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 750ml bottle into two St. Bernardus goblets.

A - A deep brown color with a medium ivory head.

S - Toffee, candied fruits, figgy with some spice.

T - Slightly burnt toffee, spice, bready malt.

M - Well balanced carbonation with a slight alcohol warmth.

This is a great one. It is not overly sweet or syrupy nor is it drowning in fruitiness. The flavors are distinct and inviting. Overall I would put this with the big 3, Abt 12, Rochefort 10, and Westvleteren 12.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Tried this for the first time at the brewery in Bruge Belgium since then I have been hooked. Have had it back in the states from a bottle and on tap. It is one of my favorite beers. Very smooth. The alcohol sneaks up on you. Great color and taste.

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

I had this while in Bruges recently . . . at Cambrinus. I would put this up there with Rochefort 10 which I've always liked better than Westvleteren XII and St Bernardus Abt 12.

4.88/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours a deep brown almost black with white head.

Smell - Ok, I'm not great with smells overall, but this one was strong and malty, what I would expect.

Taste - So very good. Robust, complex full of malty goodness.

Mouthfeel - lower on carbonation then I am used to, but did not detract from the experience at all.

Overall - exceptional beer. MUST try. I will be buying this again, particularly if I can find cases.

4.99/5  rDev +22.6%

Pours a gorgeous burnt sienna into my ommengang snifter. soft white head that lingers up and down the glass. The aroma of delicious candy sugar fades into sugar plums and mandrin oranges. The flavor of bready caramel malts lingers as candied fruit wash over the tongue with a warming brandy quality. It dances over the tongue and makes me wish for more!

Overall my favorite beer of all time. This is a fragrant, herbal/spiced, thick, syrupy black-as-night beer. You can't see any light through this beer at all, a huge plus in my opinion.

Pour this into a tulip glass if you can't get glassware from the brewery. (I am working on a way to get some- any suggestions?)

This beer has a thick head with small, light brown bubbles and good flavor there too.

One word of caution: the Straffe Quad has 11%abv so you might want to drink conservatively if you haven't had a beer this strong before. It'll sneak up on you before you realize it.

I'm sure not everyone is in love with this style of beer but I am although I didn't know that until I had one after a look around the Halve Maan brewery in Brugge, Belgium. A fantastic tour and especially memorable because of the strong smell of cooking hops and spices in the air- a reflection of the quality of both the tour and the beer itself.

As I try more quads I suppose I may find one I like better, but I tend to measure all beers in this style against the Straffe Hendrik as I probably will be for quite some time. I can't imagine how this beer could be improved upon.

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last