Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel - Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan

Straffe Hendrik QuadrupelStraffe Hendrik Quadrupel

Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BucBasil on 11-05-2010

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I felt like a cartoon... At first I was OK with it but as I continued to drink it, the more I liked it. By day 2 I was absolutely loving this beer with bright eyes. Malty and sweet with molasses, brown sugar and banana. The texture is thick and smooth and there is no alcohol or hop bite on the finish at all. The entire experience is velvety smooth and sweet and too easy to drink. The color is like an over brewed iced tea which adds to the approachability of the whole experience. I will be buying more of this.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Flat with minimal carbonation. Smell of molasses, sweet caramel, chocolate / toffee as it warmed. A solid quad but not top-tier.

3.59/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: deep brown, just south of cola, one finger head, dissipates rather quickly with very mild lacing around the glass
S: roasty, with subtle hints of clove and banana, also some quiet notes of alcohol, pleasant, mild traces of dark fruity esters that become more pronounced over the given session, the main take away here is the roasted malt, it is the most prominent
T: coffee and plum, amber candy sugar, possibly a subtle hint of rye or wheat in the grain bill but I wouldn’t swear to it, the coffee dissipates as the beer mellows, also as this occurs the candy sugar sweetness begins to become more pronounce, very mild bitterness, present, but not pronounced
M: full bodied though not quite imperial stout thick, the banana and clove notes help to make this a more filling beer
O: quite good, I would drink it again, the beers this most reminds me of are de ranked noir de dottignies and aventinus eisbock (though much less heavy), the belgian strong dark ale/quad is one of my favorite styles and I find I learn more and more every time I drink one, I find that when I review them, I write an initial review in roughly ten minutes and then edit for subsequent sensations for about the next hour, not just with this one but with all of them, take your time, not because of the alcohol, though that is certainly part of it, but because this is a style that reveals itself quite gradually and warrants your fully and developing attention

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Tried this for the first time at the brewery in Bruge Belgium since then I have been hooked. Have had it back in the states from a bottle and on tap. It is one of my favorite beers. Very smooth. The alcohol sneaks up on you. Great color and taste.

4.15/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Poured from bottle into a chalice glass

Appearance- The beer pours a deep brownish color with a massive foamy cream colored head. The head has a fantastic level of retention, very slowly fading over time to leave a great showing of a foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is big of a dark fruit nature with raisin, plum, and fig. These dark fruits are mixed with molasses as well as a burnt candied sugar aromas. Along with all these smells comes other aromas of yeast cake, which brings with it some spice of clove and coriander. The alcohol is not hidden in this nose with a nice rum aroma present which when mixed with the rest of the smells gives a rather rich and warming smell overall.

Taste – The taste begins with a rather rich dark fruit flavor or raisin and plum mixed with the sugary molasses and caramel tastes that were in the nose. There is a rather decent bit of a breadiness that is present right from the start as well, with other flavors of yeast and spice of coriander soon following. The sugary flavors start losing ground as the taste advances however with them being replaced by some more roasty bread and some boozy flavors or a rum like nature. All the while a little bit of a woody taste and some flavors of chocolate develop on the tongue. With the mix of flavors that are left at the end, an almost spiced and roasty fruit cake like flavor is left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is rather thin for an 11% abv quad with a carbonation level that was average. A little thicker of a body may have suited the fruitcake like flavors of the brew slightly better and keep it a slightly slower sipper (as it should be an 11%).

Overall – This is a very tasty quad I must say. Other than the somewhat weak feel, it was really a fantastic beer to sip away. While not my favorite quad out there, I say definitely give it a try if you get a chance, as it is very good.

4.41/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Really enjoyed this beer. It tastes absolutely amazing, but need to try it again for a more accurate review. It has kind of a winey feel to it which I could see some people not liking. This is definitely a top pick of mine from now on for Belgium brews.

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer is really beautiful, of a dark brown color a big and persistent yellowish foam.
Smell and taste are mild, sweet, malty and a bit yeasty.. delicious. The highligths go to the vanilla notes.
Feel is also indredible. Body, carbonation and bitterness at high level and well balanced.
Maybe I'll give this beer the prize of beer of the year =)
And I had it in Belgium!

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(rating #1000 - a 750, all for me! - poured into a Chouffe tulip)

L: lovely, deep-dark, crimson red liquid, clear, with a loose, smog-stain light brown head that does not stay around long... the head does pour tall and actually some chunky lace here and there

S: cherry cough drop with maybe a hint of mocha... raspberry jam?... the alcohol is present, though more of its essence, coming over top the over aromas... mild red vinous (raisin) notes... flowers, sugar, booze

T: up front, a light-medium acidic sizzle that hangs on the palate long after each sip... definitely get the character of the conditioning yeast, hint of funk... nice little pop of sweet-fruity booze and a hint of coffee in the finish... undeniable malt and melanoidin-rich backbone with a slight but notable dark roast overtone... chocolaty burps

F: light but tight body, some spritzy sizzle... blanket-soft, weightless finish... somewhat glassy and quiet flow... altogether wonderfully dry and peaceful

O: tell ya what - this is good, but there are more complex and interesting quads around (La Trappe, Abt 12, and on occasion Roche 10)... the flavors are a little "darker" than in what I would consider a quintessential quad... I've got the Heritage oak-aged version waiting in the wings - looking forward to that... anticipating an even-smoother, "better" model of this already nice beer

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

First beer of 34 bottles I ordered and had shipped out to me in the wilds of Northeast Thailand. Perhaps I was a bit paranoid about the beer being spoiled as its been over 100 degrees everday lately and the order took three days to arrive, and bottles were warm on arrival. All that made me half imagine I was drinking beer on the way to spoilage. However, the other beers I have since tried dispelled that, some of them very well known to me and if anything all tasted fresher than those from supermarkets in Bangkok. So, I assume the Hendrik Quad was as intended.

As an overall impression, this quad has some really interesting flavors going on. I know this might sound weird, but confirmed numerous times a gin and tonic back drop to more familiar quad flavors. One thing that I found interesting with this quad was how totally variable each sip I took was. Sometimes I got a gin tonic, other times Christmass pudding, other times chocolate/coffee. I really like my quads, one of my favorite beer styles, but I am still a bit of a rookie and thought Hendrik Staffe is one of the more unusual if not pretty good ones I've had.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at the Yard House in Atlanta.
Deep, dark mahogany body with a good head.
Excellent flavor and aroma, but the aroma is too weak. (then again, the ale is too cold and this may improve with warming). Smooth body despite the high ABV. Medium-full. Rich, moderately complex flavor. Sweet but not cloying. Adequate dark fruit notes with suggestions of light spicing.

I had this while in Bruges recently . . . at Cambrinus. I would put this up there with Rochefort 10 which I've always liked better than Westvleteren XII and St Bernardus Abt 12.

4.19/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured a dark opaque coffee color in a Brooklyn snifter- 3F head. Lacing.
Nice looking beer.

The aroma isn't strong, but quite good: raisins and some sweetness. With warming, the aroma is more pronounced.

The taste is excellent: complex, raisin, fig, fruit, sweetness, and more.

Finish: light alcohol, and some maltiness.

Overall, one of the best Quads I have tasted in a while. Balanced and complex.

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on-tap at the Yard House in Orlando - poured into a tulip glass.

L: Pours a deep cloudy mahogany, so dark it's almost black. Thick creamy white head with ample retention.

S: Dark fruits, yeasts, faint coriander, and sweet old-fashioned candies.

T/F: Rich and complex... this beer is a sipper. Dark fruits and molasses with a slight zest. Excellent complexity from the yeasts, and very smooth with moderate carbonation. Nice alcoholic warmth to round out the brew.

O: Very nice and complex beer, and a bit different from other quads I've tasted. Very enjoyable and I'd definitely have it again. Hard to go wrong with a quad made in Belgium.

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Lovely set of smells and tastes from this beer. It does not give off the notion of being 11%, it is well masked. Fruity and sort of earthy, it reminds me of a strong dubbel kind of. Its heavy on the caramel and toffee, with dark fruit here and there. Lovely yeast flavor, get this and savor it.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Color is deep, dark red, with a beige head. Aroma of caramel and red fruit. Hints of coffee and port make for a strong taste and is accompagnied with a nice alcoholic warmth. Very good beer.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle (marked 02-04-2016).

The beer pours an opaque brown with ruby highlights. The persistent two-finger head was a mix of fine and medium-coarse bubbles.

The aroma was of candy and some breadiness. The taste was sweet and roasty with complex overtones. The hops presence is fairly minor, and there are hints ot tobacco and candy. Even though it's a quad, there was no alcohol burn or heat. The aftertaste is a pleasant mix of sweetness balanced with mild bitterness and sourness. The mouthfeel is great -- a nice bite from the combination of the hops and carbonation.

Overall, this is one of my favorites in this style. Everything comes together: the complex flavor profile, the mouthfeel, and the aftertaste. I hope to run into this one again!

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

i'm not sure if my bomber is the same but i'm assuming that the bomber label is different from the pic here.

pours with almost no head. nice dark cloudy cola color. lots of sweet malty aromas. the flavor is a bit young. i can't figure out the vintage but i'm assuming it's a 2014. i think this will round out with age. not as nice as other belgian quads but very drinkable.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

11.2oz bottle poured into a chalice.

A: Very dark brown. Fine-bubbled creamy beige head retains at a half inch in the wide glass. Lacing forms thin and delicate sheets on the glass.

S: A trail mix sort of aroma greets the nostrils. Nutty, cocoa, dried fruits (cranberry, raisin, and apricot). Bitter, unsweetened chocolate chips. Molasses. Mildly musty and lightly spicy yeast anchor it all. Whiff of alcohol. Soft clove and vanilla phenols.

T: Cocoa and unsweetened chocolate wrap themselves around fruity flavors of raisin, craisin, prune, and fig. Candi sugar is very apparent. Nutty. Molasses. Milk chocolate and light mocha. Yeast flavors are mildly musty and leathery, but otherwise a bit quieter than usual. They still provide a more than capable anchor though. Dried apricot and orange peel esters very briefly. Subtle clovey and vanilla bean phenols with moderate peppery spice that grows middle to end. Alcohol creeps in toward the back, offering some balancing bitterness but remaining friendly. Semi-dry and gently lingering finish of molasses, unsweetened chocolate, and dried fruit.

M: Medium bodied with a full and lush mouthfeel. A lot of substance, but not weighty at all. Melt-in-your-mouth creaminess makes for a velvety and decadent texture, like when a fine chocolate dissolves in your mouth. Gentle carbonation lifts everything. Mild alcohol warmth, but otherwise no indication of the potency.

O: Perhaps less complex when compared to the elite quads, mainly due to a quieter yeast contribution. But oh my God does it make up for it with sheer drinkability! The texture in particular is sinful in its decadence. The idea of a more-ish quad is a dangerous notion, but that's what we have here. Every sip is a delight to the senses.

4.34/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really nice look and smell. Lots of dark sweetness and some smoke and roastiness as well. Taste is not as sweet but a touch dry and a little hoppy bitter finish.

Overall its a decent quad but not quite getting the dark fruit flavors and sweetness that I prefer in my quads, where this is a tad dry and bitter.

3.96/5  rDev -2.7%

I enjoyed this bottle chilled in a goblet

The color is a dark walnut brown with translucent clarity with thick tan head and fine bead. The smell is decent with a fruity yeast scent with dark cherry quality and nutty light malt with floral ester and slight sweetness with moderate alcohol in the smell.
The feel is moderately sweet with spiced feel and moderately full body with medium high carbonation and medium full body with slight alcohol in the semi-dry finish.

The taste is strong with a nutty light toffee and slight fruity earthy flavor similar to stone fruit with gently spiced quality and mild alcohol in the taste as it warms with a light dark sugar flavor in the finish with some residual sweetness. Overall a very good dark Belgian ale with nice yeast flavor and dry drinkable aspect without a lot of alcohol in the taste.

4.44/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is the first beer from Straffe Hendrik that I have had the pleasure of enjoying. Let warm from the fridge for about 30 minutes before pouring. $5 for a 11.2 oz.

Look - Poured dark brown, close to black, with very little head or effervescence.

I need to add in the "look" section how cool I think the bottle is too. I love the gold and silver metallic borders around the purple. The font choices were great, and a crescent moon can be found on the cap as well as the front of the bottle. (If I were to design a beer label, I would like to imagine I would shoot for something similar to this.)

Smell - First and foremost was an intense kick of chocolate. Sweet and roasty smelling. Oh man this beer smells good! The scent of dark fruits such as cherries and berries are hidden in there too.

Taste - A lot of sweet and complex malt flavors are present. Caramel and cane sugar flavors are very present. The alcohol bite is strong on this one, and its aftertaste can be a bit overpowering. The flavor of raisins is strong, perhaps prunes. Has a sweet nectar-like taste.

Feel - Sticky sweet lips. Very smooth mouthfeel. Very pleasant.

Overall - Wow, this was one badass beer! I will be looking for more from this brewery in the future because this was a real treat.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

On tap at La Trappe Cafe, San Francisco. Severed in a Straffe Hendrik Tulip glass.

Appearance: Very dark in the glass, so with lighting low in the bar difficult to tell the exact color. Thin tan head that dissipated, but still left lots of lacing on the glass. As I got toward the bottom of the glass, the I could see better that the beer was a clear, but still dark, golden brown.

Smell: A wonderfully deep and rich aroma. Dark fruits (plums, maybe some raisin), caramel, candi sugar.

Taste: Lots of wonderful flavors. Dark candi sugar, burnt malt, bitter finish of coffee, tobacco, leafy noble hops. There is a rich fruitiness in the middle which I cannot place exactly. I hesitate to call it dark fruit again as it tastes different than what I smelled, but whatever it is, it's very nice.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, but very smooth approaching creamy. Light carbonation.

Overall / Drinkability: This may be my new favorite quad. Such a wonderful deepness of flavor all around and a very nice aroma as well. This is a beer for having one of and savoring over an evening, and yet with it being so tasty I found I finished it rather quickly. The alcohol is dangerously well hidden, and I'm glad I knew this was 11% when I ordered the 25cl glass otherwise I think I would be in trouble later. I will have to find this beer again. Very well done.

3.86/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into a snifter glass.

Very dark brown with a slight amber hue in the light. Very little head and minimal lacing.

Plenty of dark fruit aromas. A strong smell of plums and raisins. Sweet smelling to go along with the fruitiness.

Fruity with some slight breadiness. Strong flavors of plum and maybe currants. Slight tartness.

Medium bodied but a bit light on the carbonation. Slightly chewy with a sticky, sweet lingering mouthfeel.

This beer is very different from what I was expecting. The strong fruitiness was surprising and made for a unique beer. The alcohol is detectable but not overpowering. I would drink it again on occasion but it is definitely not an everyday beer for me.

4.07/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours very dark brown, red tint, thick dense light brown colored head, settles slowly to a thin layer, with a sheet of delicate lace following down the glass. Smell: toasted brown bread, molasses, cooked apple and cinnamon, pepper, herbal, plum skin and earth. Fairly traditional but a bit different in an odd but not bad way. Taste: sugary dates, plum skin, burnt sugar, tiny cherry and cola notes, herbal and mildly earthy. Sugary and full bodied with light and creamy carbonation, finishing sticky and earthy. Nice flavors, enjoyed this one. 750 ml best by 08/16.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Low carbonation. Very dark beer, with a thick mouthfeel. No head/ head retention.

Aroma is of dark fruits, alcohol, and a bread pudding type spice characteristic. Potentially molasses. Surprisingly weak on the nose.

Taste doesn't do it for me. I get a hit of molasses up front with some maserated raisins, plums, and dried cherries in a bourbon. Great at first. Little carbonation up front. Middle of the mouth is rather blank... Non-descript... Rather watery. The end is the booze warmth and heat. It's not offensive, but just nothing special.

This would go well with a spiced cake or bread pudding. It just really isn't worth the money or time. Plenty of other good quads/ Belgain darks . I give it 67/100.

Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel from Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan