Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel - Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BucBasil on 11-05-2010

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
3.93/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

First beer of 34 bottles I ordered and had shipped out to me in the wilds of Northeast Thailand. Perhaps I was a bit paranoid about the beer being spoiled as its been over 100 degrees everday lately and the order took three days to arrive, and bottles were warm on arrival. All that made me half imagine I was drinking beer on the way to spoilage. However, the other beers I have since tried dispelled that, some of them very well known to me and if anything all tasted fresher than those from supermarkets in Bangkok. So, I assume the Hendrik Quad was as intended.

As an overall impression, this quad has some really interesting flavors going on. I know this might sound weird, but confirmed numerous times a gin and tonic back drop to more familiar quad flavors. One thing that I found interesting with this quad was how totally variable each sip I took was. Sometimes I got a gin tonic, other times Christmass pudding, other times chocolate/coffee. I really like my quads, one of my favorite beer styles, but I am still a bit of a rookie and thought Hendrik Staffe is one of the more unusual if not pretty good ones I've had.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Straffe Hendrik Quadruple. 4 pack of 11.2 oz bottles. Nice artwork of a celestial moon with a face on both the bottle and cap. Box has a detailed history of the brewery and it's present day status in Bruges. Pours a beautiful deep dark brown with decent head. Has the same nose as the best quads, Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus come to mind. Raisons and figs. Nice lacing. This quad tastes awesome! It has perfect carbonation and the 11 percent is very well hidden. This Belgian, in my opinion, ranks up at the top of the quads. I'm very surprised at earlier reviews as I will definitely seek out more. This is a must try. Enjoy!

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a bomber to a pint glass. Nice head, doesn't dissipate, with a nice copper color. Smells of dark fruit and heavy malt. It tastes sweet with a nice dry yet tasty finish. You really taste the malt with a touch of raisins and dark fruit. The feel is smooth and perfectly carbonated. Overall a great brew with lots of flavor and balance. I will for sure pick this up again.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Tried this for the first time at the brewery in Bruge Belgium since then I have been hooked. Have had it back in the states from a bottle and on tap. It is one of my favorite beers. Very smooth. The alcohol sneaks up on you. Great color and taste.

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours up nice and pretty with that beautiful, soaring quadrupel head. Lacing stays true throughout the glass, almost like a foam wall.
This is definitely a sipper. Take a big swig and it looses drinkability points. When sipped slowly, the foam gets to build in your mouth (my favorite part of a quad) and all those malty flavors release.
I would really like to see one of these in a cellar for nearly a year.

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Deep dark color, nice 2 finger head but it dissipates after a minute

S: Dried plums with a hint of chocolat

T: Malty, dried plums, chocolat, burnt caramel.

M: Thick, creamy, bittersweet and boozy with a good saturation

O: Great quadruppel but a bit unbalanced (alcohol and spices)... but hey still a great one !!!

4.41/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Really enjoyed this beer. It tastes absolutely amazing, but need to try it again for a more accurate review. It has kind of a winey feel to it which I could see some people not liking. This is definitely a top pick of mine from now on for Belgium brews.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured out a good frothy head that disapated slowly leaving moderate lacing. the aroma of roasted malts and dark fruit dominate the nose.Peronally I like this one altough my preference leans toward strong blonds and tripels but this could change my mind on that. alcohol well hidden not overly sweet high carbonation definitely worth a try ,I bought a second bottle after to cellar .

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Poured into a typical tall Belgian chalice. Dark brown with ruby-red hues when held to the light.

Smell: Sweet candy, hint of dark fruit.

Taste: 40F - Usual dark fruits, dark candi sugar. 50F+ - Sweet chocolate in addition to flavors already mentioned. Very malt forward in my opinion - sweeter side of Quad and/or BDSs.

Mouthfeel: Medium-high carbonation, thicker, heavier body than I was expecting but it works. I don't get toasty or caramel flavors some are noting.

Overall: If you are going to discuss what might be perceived differences between a Quad and a BDS - this might be the one to point to. If someone is new to darker brews, you might offer them this as a small aperitif or digestif and when discussing the spectrum of Quads and/or BDS and any potential differences. A solid offering I would come back to. I enjoy drier, slightly warming booze characteristics mixed in with a hint of Caramunich - the only reason it didn't get a 4/5 or higher from me - but, that is my personal preference.

4.29/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Roasted chestnut brown with a dark cherry hue. Nice head. Not much lacing.
Smell: Umm.. Divine. Like standing outside a Belgian abbey after a rainstorm. (Not that I've actually done that, outside of my dreams.)
Mouthfeel: Some effervescence. It's light on your tongue, but the taste lingers.
Taste: I tasted molasses, raisins, even some cherry (but not maraschino cherry). Definitely malty, of course. But it's well-balanced, not overpowering. Has a musty earthiness to it.
This is a serious beer that can hold its own against almost anything you'd think to pair it with -- from pizza to prime rib. But, honestly, it's so good, I stopped eating the second I sipped it.
It's the kind of beer that makes you want to stop all other activities and think about it. So why distract yourself with food?
I've had a lot of Belgian beers and this is definitely one of the most interesting. For a quadrupel, it's surprisingly easy to drink. But you'll want to take your time, if for no other reason than the fact that it's 11% ABV.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance - Very dark, but seemingly just a very dark red like Coca-Cola. I have seen by far much darker beers but it's definitely no lager. The head was very minimal, but thin and tan. Poor lacing, but could be due to a less than decent poor.

Smell - Very, very malty and some fruity undertones when breathing back out after taking a sip.

Taste - Literally hit me in the face with the first sip. I couldn't you what exactly it is because there's a lot going on in this brew. It tastes bit like figs or cherries to me up front and finished with a pretty strong alcohol finish, hitting pretty hard on the edges of the tongue.

Mouthfeel - Has a pretty full-bodied feel to it and at 11% it starts to feel pretty prickly on the tongue.

Overall - This beer brought a look of disbelief to my face. The smell of the beer made me expect something completely different than I tasted. After you let it warm a bit it only gets better (to a point) and you can taste things that we're necessarily present before. Hope that helps and enjoy!

3.31/5  rDev -18.7%

A: Murkey brown, red with absolutely NO HEAD, NO CARBONATION

S: plummy and sweet

T: dark fruits, mellow alcohol

M: no carbonation, flat, very little psst when opened

O: disappointed. nothing special, and expensive

Serving type: large bottle , 11% alcohol, ANNO 1856 with a half moon face on the bottle. Label says Bruges Quadruple Ale II

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last