Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel - Brouwerij Straffe Hendrik / Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan

Straffe Hendrik QuadrupelStraffe Hendrik Quadrupel

Brouwerij Straffe Hendrik / Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BucBasil on 11-05-2010

4.34/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Really nice look and smell. Lots of dark sweetness and some smoke and roastiness as well. Taste is not as sweet but a touch dry and a little hoppy bitter finish.

Overall its a decent quad but not quite getting the dark fruit flavors and sweetness that I prefer in my quads, where this is a tad dry and bitter.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

4.36/5  rDev +5.6%

Best before December 2013. Good looking brew. Brown like black tea, but with ruby highlights in normal light. Backlit, it is mahogany/ruby in color, with excellent clarity. it is highly carbonated and a gentle pour fills the tulip about 50/50 liquid and foam. The head is creamy and thick on top, but big bubbles cling to the side. It recedes gradually and leaves thick patches of lace and foam on the edges.

Wow, I can smell from afar. When I finally stick my nose into the glass I am greeted by rich dark fruity notes, yeasty spiciness, and gentle boozy warming helping to open my sinuses. After a few minutes I detect some caramel and malty sweetness underneath all of the dark fruit. This is a really nice smelling brew, even if it isn't the most complex I've ever met. ... Unlike many brews that seem to open up during the sample, this one is putting out less and less as the glass drains.

The taste follows the nose. Yeasty dark fruit and spice define it, but there is also a mellow bitterness evident right from the first sip. The rich caramel malty sweetness is far more evident in the flavor than in the nose, and provides good balance and contrast with the spicy/fruity yeasty character. The bitterness, from modest hopping I assume, is spot on and really helps balance and adds depth. Very tasty.

Carbonation is strong, body is full and rich, and a whisper of dryness in the mildly bitter finish.

This is a really well done Quad, that I believe would hold it's own with some of the best. I think it's better than the Westy 12 my buddy shared with me the other day.

4.36/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle, poured into tulip glass.

A - pours dark brown, almost black, with a slight velvet tinge. There is a thick, foamy, pale brown head that sits around for a while.

S - malt smells dominate, with a faint yeasty whiff and hint of dark fruits. Overall not too strong in the smells department

T - roasted malts, black cherry, raisins and port to begin with. The warming sensation of the alcohol is felt halfway through. The sweetness (burnt caramel and brown sugar) is more prominant at the end, wrapped up with a hoppy bitterness and alcohol.

M - Medium bodied, feels quite carbonated for this style. Feels dry at first, with a slick texture popping up with the sweetness at the end. The alcohol is felt, but not as strong as I would have thought, considering the ABV.

O - great for sipping, I think the higher carbonation and good balance between sweet and malt flavours gives this beer an edge over other quads I've tried. Plus it looks great in the glass. As with other quads, hide the car keys before you open the bottle.

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked this up a few weeks back at Top Hops, having never had this before. Quads are usually a bit stronger than what I prefer to drink but amazingly, this didn't feel that way at all. Even though it's quite warm and muggy out here again today, this was enjoyable to slowly work through and had one of the best appearances in a beer that I've seen in a long time. Thankfully, I do not have to be anywhere later as this is taking quite a while to sip and savor!

The pour to this was absolutely beautiful, as this beer had a deep raisin hue, an extremely frothy head, and lacing that stuck around from start to finish, as I made my way down the sides of my pint glass. Lots of dark fruit and booze in the nose, which was more detailed in the taste. Raisin, currant, fig, booze, crystalline sweetness, and the aforementioned alcohol meshed beautifully in the mouthfeel along with some caramel malt and molasses underneath that. This was quite full and cloying but only a bit of stickiness stuck around with the myriad of flavors in the aftertaste.

To be sure, this was strong but it didn't taste nearly as potent as it felt once I finished this off a while after undoing the top of the 330 ml. bottle. While there was just a hint of vanilla that lingered after everything else slowly faded away, there's so much to like here that any Quad or even Belgian beer fan deserves to give this a go, for that matter. This isn't something to be downed quickly but those with ample time will be well rewarded to give this a go and enjoy it for all it's worth.

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my Ommegang chalice a deep roasted chesnut brown with a sticky one finger beige head atop that left a broken ring of lace as it settled slowly.A slight sherry vinegar note is something that caught my attention with dark brown sugar and dark fruit in there as well,the vinegar element is something I have never come across in a quad.Deep brown sugar and toffee flavors with sweet alcohol,it's cakey and rich with a slightly acidic finish.Full lush feel in the mouth,this is somewhat different than alot of quads and I really liked it,it's a bit raw in some aspects.Great stuff.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours with the massive head one would expect from a Belgian; underneath is a very dark, coffee-colored liquid; great retention and plenty of lacing

Smell: Dried dark fruit (prune, raisin and cherry) with spice cake and mineral aromatics and a hint of chocolate

Taste: Dried dark fruit and spice cake flavors, up front, with a peppery zest building in the middle; a touch of molasses adds additional sweetness, after the swallow, along with a hint of chocolate that appears in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with the airy carbonation I find in the best of the Belgians; surprisingly little heat for an 11% ABV beer

Overall: Very impressed by this well-balanced quad that is filled with both complexity and restraint

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured out a good frothy head that disapated slowly leaving moderate lacing. the aroma of roasted malts and dark fruit dominate the nose.Peronally I like this one altough my preference leans toward strong blonds and tripels but this could change my mind on that. alcohol well hidden not overly sweet high carbonation definitely worth a try ,I bought a second bottle after to cellar .

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Bull's blood color with a thin pellicle of foam, some retention around the rim, some lacing and unperceived effervescence.

Aroma: Medium to medium high in intensity. Dark candy sugar, prune and milky at the front with some nice cocoa notes and alcohol warmth on the back.

Taste: Medium high in intensity. Dark fruit, candy sugar, orange peel, spices and caramel.

Palate: Medium to medium full bodied. ABV well veiled. Low carbonation. Finishes sweetish with a lingering caramel / candy sugar aftertaste. PERFECT!

Overall: A great showcase of what a Quad can be. Could use some adjustments in the taste department but it's still an elite status Quad.

4.39/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.39/5  rDev +6.3%

La Trappe. Black mahogany, minor edge transparency, served with little dense head, minor lacing.

Aroma of the classic quad, full, thick and rich. Dense, complicated, rewarding, vinous.

Taste follows the nose and delivers a quality traditional quad, full, thick and rich. Well restrained alcohol, no burn but some would be welcome. Minor grape bubblegum appears in the pleasantly fading aftertaste. Medium to full bodied smooth mouthfeel.
cheers
jd

4.41/5  rDev +6.8%

Pour: Clear, dark ruby red to mahogany body. Thick, frothy three fingered tan head that recedes very slowly and leaves thick rings of lacing behind all the way down. Total eye candy.

Smell: Tart and sweet with a combination of sour and dark fruity tones, lots of caramel malty goodness, a touch of molasses, and a touch of alcohol astringency.

Taste: Rich and full flavored. Lots of caramel, and brown sugar sweetness with a touch of sour cherry and the ever slightest hint of vanilla. Chocolatey middle with hints of raisin and dried plum. Dry, tart finish with a moderate level of bitterness and a hint of mocha. Slightly alcoholic and warming.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick body with high carbonation. Slightly creamy and ultra-smooth.

Drinkability/Overall: Very easy drinking, with lots of good flavor leaving you yearning for the next sip. You could easily put away a couple of these big bottles, though you wouldn't like the results next morning, as it is 11%!

Final Notes: One hell of a beer. This is one to sip on in front of a fireplace in the cold weather to warm up. Would also make a great after-dinner beer or beer to pair with dessert. It is a touch dangerous at 11% though, so treat it with respect!

4.41/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Appearance - Very dark, but seemingly just a very dark red like Coca-Cola. I have seen by far much darker beers but it's definitely no lager. The head was very minimal, but thin and tan. Poor lacing, but could be due to a less than decent poor.

Smell - Very, very malty and some fruity undertones when breathing back out after taking a sip.

Taste - Literally hit me in the face with the first sip. I couldn't you what exactly it is because there's a lot going on in this brew. It tastes bit like figs or cherries to me up front and finished with a pretty strong alcohol finish, hitting pretty hard on the edges of the tongue.

Mouthfeel - Has a pretty full-bodied feel to it and at 11% it starts to feel pretty prickly on the tongue.

Overall - This beer brought a look of disbelief to my face. The smell of the beer made me expect something completely different than I tasted. After you let it warm a bit it only gets better (to a point) and you can taste things that we're necessarily present before. Hope that helps and enjoy!

4.42/5  rDev +7%

On tap at La Trappe Cafe, San Francisco. Severed in a Straffe Hendrik Tulip glass.

Appearance: Very dark in the glass, so with lighting low in the bar difficult to tell the exact color. Thin tan head that dissipated, but still left lots of lacing on the glass. As I got toward the bottom of the glass, the I could see better that the beer was a clear, but still dark, golden brown.

Smell: A wonderfully deep and rich aroma. Dark fruits (plums, maybe some raisin), caramel, candi sugar.

Taste: Lots of wonderful flavors. Dark candi sugar, burnt malt, bitter finish of coffee, tobacco, leafy noble hops. There is a rich fruitiness in the middle which I cannot place exactly. I hesitate to call it dark fruit again as it tastes different than what I smelled, but whatever it is, it's very nice.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, but very smooth approaching creamy. Light carbonation.

Overall / Drinkability: This may be my new favorite quad. Such a wonderful deepness of flavor all around and a very nice aroma as well. This is a beer for having one of and savoring over an evening, and yet with it being so tasty I found I finished it rather quickly. The alcohol is dangerously well hidden, and I'm glad I knew this was 11% when I ordered the 25cl glass otherwise I think I would be in trouble later. I will have to find this beer again. Very well done.

75 cl

Pours a deep ruddy brown with a tan head about 4 inches thick. Dissipates very slowly. Retains as a thin film.

Smells of rich caramel, mild fig sweetness, some cinnamon like spice, a hint of alcohol and a just a bit of hop flavor.

Tastes richly spiced, with a hint of hop bitterness, followed by caramel and brown sugar malts and some distinctly Belgian yeasty notes.

Mouth is thick with lots of fluffy carbonation.

Delicious and tasty, quite a treat. The strength makes it a sipper. The mild hint of hops is a bit different than other less hop focused quads I've had, which gives it a unique characteristic. I would have this again.

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.44/5  rDev +7.5%

4.44/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is the first beer from Straffe Hendrik that I have had the pleasure of enjoying. Let warm from the fridge for about 30 minutes before pouring. $5 for a 11.2 oz.

Look - Poured dark brown, close to black, with very little head or effervescence.

I need to add in the "look" section how cool I think the bottle is too. I love the gold and silver metallic borders around the purple. The font choices were great, and a crescent moon can be found on the cap as well as the front of the bottle. (If I were to design a beer label, I would like to imagine I would shoot for something similar to this.)

Smell - First and foremost was an intense kick of chocolate. Sweet and roasty smelling. Oh man this beer smells good! The scent of dark fruits such as cherries and berries are hidden in there too.

Taste - A lot of sweet and complex malt flavors are present. Caramel and cane sugar flavors are very present. The alcohol bite is strong on this one, and its aftertaste can be a bit overpowering. The flavor of raisins is strong, perhaps prunes. Has a sweet nectar-like taste.

Feel - Sticky sweet lips. Very smooth mouthfeel. Very pleasant.

Overall - Wow, this was one badass beer! I will be looking for more from this brewery in the future because this was a real treat.

Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel from Brouwerij Straffe Hendrik / Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan