Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel - Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan

Straffe Hendrik QuadrupelStraffe Hendrik Quadrupel

Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BucBasil on 11-05-2010

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last
4.41/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Really enjoyed this beer. It tastes absolutely amazing, but need to try it again for a more accurate review. It has kind of a winey feel to it which I could see some people not liking. This is definitely a top pick of mine from now on for Belgium brews.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured out a good frothy head that disapated slowly leaving moderate lacing. the aroma of roasted malts and dark fruit dominate the nose.Peronally I like this one altough my preference leans toward strong blonds and tripels but this could change my mind on that. alcohol well hidden not overly sweet high carbonation definitely worth a try ,I bought a second bottle after to cellar .

3.79/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Poured into a typical tall Belgian chalice. Dark brown with ruby-red hues when held to the light.

Smell: Sweet candy, hint of dark fruit.

Taste: 40F - Usual dark fruits, dark candi sugar. 50F+ - Sweet chocolate in addition to flavors already mentioned. Very malt forward in my opinion - sweeter side of Quad and/or BDSs.

Mouthfeel: Medium-high carbonation, thicker, heavier body than I was expecting but it works. I don't get toasty or caramel flavors some are noting.

Overall: If you are going to discuss what might be perceived differences between a Quad and a BDS - this might be the one to point to. If someone is new to darker brews, you might offer them this as a small aperitif or digestif and when discussing the spectrum of Quads and/or BDS and any potential differences. A solid offering I would come back to. I enjoy drier, slightly warming booze characteristics mixed in with a hint of Caramunich - the only reason it didn't get a 4/5 or higher from me - but, that is my personal preference.

4.29/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Roasted chestnut brown with a dark cherry hue. Nice head. Not much lacing.
Smell: Umm.. Divine. Like standing outside a Belgian abbey after a rainstorm. (Not that I've actually done that, outside of my dreams.)
Mouthfeel: Some effervescence. It's light on your tongue, but the taste lingers.
Taste: I tasted molasses, raisins, even some cherry (but not maraschino cherry). Definitely malty, of course. But it's well-balanced, not overpowering. Has a musty earthiness to it.
This is a serious beer that can hold its own against almost anything you'd think to pair it with -- from pizza to prime rib. But, honestly, it's so good, I stopped eating the second I sipped it.
It's the kind of beer that makes you want to stop all other activities and think about it. So why distract yourself with food?
I've had a lot of Belgian beers and this is definitely one of the most interesting. For a quadrupel, it's surprisingly easy to drink. But you'll want to take your time, if for no other reason than the fact that it's 11% ABV.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance - Very dark, but seemingly just a very dark red like Coca-Cola. I have seen by far much darker beers but it's definitely no lager. The head was very minimal, but thin and tan. Poor lacing, but could be due to a less than decent poor.

Smell - Very, very malty and some fruity undertones when breathing back out after taking a sip.

Taste - Literally hit me in the face with the first sip. I couldn't you what exactly it is because there's a lot going on in this brew. It tastes bit like figs or cherries to me up front and finished with a pretty strong alcohol finish, hitting pretty hard on the edges of the tongue.

Mouthfeel - Has a pretty full-bodied feel to it and at 11% it starts to feel pretty prickly on the tongue.

Overall - This beer brought a look of disbelief to my face. The smell of the beer made me expect something completely different than I tasted. After you let it warm a bit it only gets better (to a point) and you can taste things that we're necessarily present before. Hope that helps and enjoy!

3.31/5  rDev -18.7%

A: Murkey brown, red with absolutely NO HEAD, NO CARBONATION

S: plummy and sweet

T: dark fruits, mellow alcohol

M: no carbonation, flat, very little psst when opened

O: disappointed. nothing special, and expensive

Serving type: large bottle , 11% alcohol, ANNO 1856 with a half moon face on the bottle. Label says Bruges Quadruple Ale II

firstprev| 101-125 | 126-150 | 151-175  | next → last