1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

2014 CBC Centennial State Pale Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

2014 CBC Centennial State Pale Ale2014 CBC Centennial State Pale Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.28% ABV

(Beer added by: JMBSH on 04-11-2014)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

Taperwookie, Apr 28, 2014
3.48/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

My good buddy Derek Anderson is recently back from the 2014 CBC and provided this at tonight's tasting so we could taste it as fresh as possible.

Pours a darker golden.. fairly clear... short lived white head with spotty lacing.

Nose shows sorta pithy citrus... bitter grapefruit zest... IMO, a bit too much light toast/caramel malt.. The term "buttery" was dropped quite a bit tonight, but I personally am not getting anything diacetyl, just a bit heavy caramel malt presence.

Good bitterness, verging on IPA but the heavier malt presence and lesser hop flavors put this firmly back in APA territory. Hop flavor is there, but needs more "umph" to highlight the bigger American hops.

Body seems a bit high for my liking... carbonation is about right.

Thanks again Derek... I appreciate it Amigo.

3.5/3.5/3.5/3.25/3.5

JohnGalt1, Apr 16, 2014

Mike, Apr 19, 2014
3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

Reviewed from notes. 19.2 ounce can shared by Richard - thanks. Craft Brewery Conference.

A: Pours a clear orangish yellow with a half-inch thick white head which fades to a thin cap and leaves splotchy lace.

N: Grainy, caramel malts, citrusy fruits, floral and faint pine.

T: Sweetish caramel malts, grapefruit, faint tropical fruits, pine resin, floral.

M: Moderate body and medium carbonation. Mildly bitter and sticky finish.

O: Never seen a can like this before. More IPA-ish than APA to me. Enjoyed.

wethorseblanket, Aug 27, 2014

wolf_switzer, Apr 17, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

Many, many thanks to my friends Cornelia and Ray for sending me one of the busiest CANs that I have ever run across in furtherance if The CANQuest (TM)!

From the (very busy) CAN: "A collaborative effort from all CBG member breweries made from 100% Colorao malts, hops, yeast and water."; "Brewers Association 2014 Craft Brewer's Conference"; "The State of Craft Beer"; "CANs Infinitely Recyclable"; "Sym-Po-Si-Um NOUN A convivial meeting for drinking, music, ad intellectual discussions where ideas are freely exchanged. Latin from Greek: Sumposium - Drinking party, Syn, Together, Posis, Drinking."; "Brewed to commemorate the Brewers Association & Craft Brewers Conference and Brewexpo America"; "April 8-11, 2014 Denver Colorado"; "Made by Colorado brewers for brewers everywhere". Whew!

This 19.2 fl. oz-CAN came from Ball by way of Oskar Blues and although I am not easily intimidated by a CAN of beer, this one held me in its thrall. The Crack! was appropriately loud and as much as I wanted to acCANplish an inverted pour, once it was at a 45-degree angle, the pour started to get away from me and I had to back off. The two-plus fingers of dense, tawny head were unabating and resembled the top scoop in an ice cream cone. As it began to fall, sticky lacing was already beginning to form and I began to CANtemplate its eventual removal, possibly with a pneumatic drill. Color was a simply beautiful golden-amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity and if you don't think that the Unholy Trio of Mammon, Midas and Croesus showed up for a taste, then you must not have been following my review. Nose evinced notes of both grapefruit citrus and pine and now my mouth was watering at the prospect. Mouthfeel was medium and the melange of flavors ran the gamut from grassy to citrus to pine to caramel and I was ready to swoon. In spite of all of this, the finish was still just semi-dry, attesting to their masterful use of their state's hops. I have a CAN collecting buddy who is going to love adding this spent CAN to his collection, believe me! I feel very privileged to have gotten one to try and I feel it deserving of some pretty high marks. YMMV.

woodychandler, Jun 19, 2014

Falcone, Apr 24, 2014
3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance: Pours out a slightly hazy amber with a modest head that leaves some spotty lacing (3.75)

Smell: Caramel laced with butter; tropical fruit tones (papaya, guava and a touch of grapefruit) (3.75)

Taste: The hops blend in with the malts moreso than on the tongue than in the aroma as the flavors are well-balanced from the outset; caramel and tropical fruit flavors blend with the hint of buttery diacetyl that lingers in the finish (3.75)

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation (4.0)

Overall: I don't know much about this beer but the malts taste more English while the hops are American, but bring a different flavor profile than a lot of other APAs; I rather enjoyed it (3.75)

Thanks, JMBSH, for the opportunity

brentk56, Aug 16, 2014
3.65/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into Sierra Nevada Pint Glass

A - Bright yellow/orange color. A very pillowy head formed after a moderate to hard pour into the glass. The laser etching in the glass has the carbonation really going even more then other beers I have poured into it.. Head shrinks to half the size after a couple minutes leaving some thick lacing on the sides.

S - Citrus mostly with a bit of floral.

T - Light and clean. Not a strong hop presence and it doesn't particularly linger in the back of my throat.

M - Some hop aftertaste sticks around but not a lot. I could see having more then a couple without it overpowering my taste buds.

O - A nice beer with a bite of hop bit but not too much. In other words, good for when an IPA is too much. I can see drinking it on a summer day sitting on a patio with friends.

JMBSH, Apr 12, 2014