Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-13-2003

From the Oskar Blues website: "This jaw-dropping Scottish strong ale (8% ABV) is brewed with bodacious amounts of malted barley and specialty grains, and a dash of beechwood-smoked malt."
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 1,552 | Hads: 4,686
1.51/5  rDev -62.3%

This pours a dark brown with auburn tones under light and thin light brown head. The aroma is of dark roasted malt, molasses, and licorice. The flavor begins with dark chocolate followed by anise and molasses with a bit of brandy in the finish, strange. It has a full mouthfeel with some alcohol warmth. Oskar Blues Old Chub,while a good example of the style, is a so-so beer. Not recommended. (393 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -62.3%

YUCK!!!

I had this beer on tap an thought it was da' bomb, but then I bought some cans and...blech!

Basically I bought a six pack of diacetyl--a big glass full a' butta', that's what I bought. Disgusting.

Not sure what to do with the rest of the cans (I will try to get a refund).

Hey Oskar, ever hear of a diacetyl rest???

Ugh! I REALLY feel nauseated. No joke. This might have been the worst beer experience of my life (and the only reason I drank half a can of this swill is because I was hoping that it would begin to taste like I knew that it was supposed to taste...like when I had it on tap). No dice.

This six is for sh*t.

EDIT: I tried a more recent batch of this beer and the diacetyl problem seems to have been fixed (or was it merely a fresher batch I sampled with the diacetyl not having the time/opportunity to form??) The horrendous experience of the first six pack makes me loathe to change my review, but I'm convinced that this beer **does** seem to be a crap shoot--if you get lucky and get a hold of a fresh/well-handled version of this beer it *can** be quite good. (1,094 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -57.3%

On tap at Duckworths in Charlotte.

Pours a clear, deep brown color with ruby highlights. Very little head that recedes very quickly leaving behind spotty lacing

The nose is very dark and rich; comprised mostly of caramel, sweet dark fruit, and chocolate. Very, very sweet. There is a slightly smokey aroma that tries to poke through, but the overlwhelmingly sweet aromas seem to choke it out, beating it into submission.

The flavor is very much like the nose; Sweet. Big cloyingly sweet flavors clash with each other. There is some caramel, chocolate, brown sugar, toffee and just a hint of smoke. This beer has the potential to be complex and flavorful, but the overwhelming sweetness seems to steal the show. Medium/full bodied and mildly carbonated. Almost a syrupy mouthfeel. I had a hard time finishing the glass. (822 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -53.8%

12 oz can, poured into a shaker pint at ~45 degrees F.

Appearance: Pours a deep hickory brown, and forms a massive tan head with both good retention and crazy lacing as it slowly recedes.

Smell: Toffee and caramel malts, and more than a hint of something floral.

Taste: And yep, that'd be what I imagine floral perfume tastes like. Faintly, under the barrage of rancid garbage runoff - sorry, I mean hops, it's just reflex to type the other thing - there's something that vaguely resembles toffee and chocolate malt. But any hope of getting any malt complexity died when the bushels and bushels and bushels and bushels of hops were poured into the tun.

Mouthfeel: Odd. This starts out feeling medium-bodied, and transforms into a soda-like thinness by the end.

Overall: Nope. I drink these styles of beer expressly for the malt. As soon as enough hops to start coming forward join the party, I'm out. (905 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -46.5%

although i can tell this is a very well crafted beer, the flavors are a little too intense for my palette (also i'm getting strong falvors of licorice, a taste i'm all that fond of in the first place)
A: almost black with ruby light comeing through it
S: licorice, coffee, toasted malt
T: LICORICE, coffee, toasted malts
M: thick with minimal carbonation
D: again well crafted but a little too intense for me (408 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -44%

The pour into my Hobgoblin tulip raises a nice 1 1/2 finger light tan head, which is the epitome of the beer. It sits on an opaque ruby-brown body. The nose is strong of burnt brown sugar, molasses, and caramel. It's over-burnt. The taste is dry brown sugar, and a bit of dark fruit. Really, pretty simple. The mouth is too thin, lowly carbonated. Needs more heft. This beer is far too dry and simple. I bought an entire case of this a while ago, and have had 3/4 of the case before a review. I don't know why there's any hype around this beer at all. McEwan's does a much better job. (584 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -41.8%

First let me say I have had this beer before and it was pretty good, but my latest tasting was far from great.

A: Clear, dark brown, zero head, little to no carbonation

S: Nothing really hit me in the way of aroma, Some maltiness, sweetness. Was OK, but very plain and unremarkable

T: Tasted weak and thin. Maltiness was there, but that was it... no carbonation. Not sure what happened at the brewery, but something along the process was missed with this batch.

M: Thin, watery

D: The lack of carbonation and the thin watery mouthfeel make this beer a one and done. I drank it because I had it, but wont be buying another for a while.. hoping that the beer I got was just an anomaly. (688 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -39%

can courtesy of thickerfreakness at tasting
Pours a dark maroon brown with a tan head atop. Smell is as expected for the style with peaty maltiness in the nose. Never been my favorite style, so the sample size was ample for me. Creamy body and flavor of malt and peatiness. Slight touch of hops to balance but the smoky flavor of the Scotch Ales have never been my thing. (372 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -38.5%

Poured from can into pint glass.

A: Dark brown coloring, rather small head.

S: Mostly malt on the nose, but not much else there.

T: The sweetness is a bit overpowering. Not quite sure what else is there causing me to dislike it - maybe a weird licorice aftertaste? This is definitely a malty beverage. Another reviewer said the taste was chalkiness - maybe that's what I'm getting.

M: Rather thin-bodied. Low carbonation.

D: I would say that this was not very drinkable for me - I had to work to take down the whole beer. Honestly, I don't have much experience with scotch ales, so I can't tell if I don't like the style, or I just don't like the beer.

I'm a little disappointed - this has been the only Oskar Blues beer I've tried that I haven't liked. (763 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -36.5%

I see this everywhere and finally gave it a go when I saw it was a well-rated exemplar of a style I haven't tried. I mostly like IPAs, so this is an Indian Lover's take on a Scottish ale.

Looks like cola in the glass, which is kind of a cool trick. Couldn't really smell it. It took me a few sips to adjust to the flavor, but unfortunately I found I didn't really like it. Something earthy and fruity like dried figs, can't quite put my finger on it. It has a tangy sweetness around the edges, but the earthy bitterness is strong, and not a kind I like. I can really taste the alcohol, and there is a definite warming effect as it goes down. The whole combination is a bit reminiscent of taking cough syrup.

I can see how someone with a different palate might like this, but it's not for me. I don't think I'll be coming back for more any time soon. (852 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -35.8%

The last in the line of regular canned offerings for me to try from this brewery.

A_Pours a dark brown hue more along the lines of a Belgian strong dark with virtually no head despite a vigourous pour. Not an appetizing looking beverage.

S_Mild yet sticky sweet caramel aroma.

T_A burnt carmale sweetness dominates up front. A bit of smoke hits in the middle but not much else. The finish is mildy bitter but strangely chocolatey and has a chalky feel and taste. The aftertaste has that chalkiness linger as well as a residual sweetness. The chalkiness manages to dominate. It is sort of as if you dipped a piece of writing chalk in cocoa powder and sucked on it.

M_Sticky, chalky and low carbonation.

D_Pretty much an utter dissapointment. I love Scotch ales but this is a bit of a mess with a wierd mouthfeel to it. Much better examples of the style. Not very complex or interesting and a bit of a chore to get through. (927 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -35.5%

I ordered this beer at a local establishment that's got a few decent taps. I had never heard of it before and, being the adventurer, I certainly had to give it a go.

It poured really dark with a reddish tint, a nice tan head that stuck around. It smelled pleasant, a bit nutty. The taste was pretty good, but for whatever reason the aftertaste reminded me of a sardine or something. Just fishy tasting. A friend of mine was swift to concur. Overall it was tolerable but I doubt that in the future I would choose it over much else. (532 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -34.8%

A: A deep, clear mahogany with ruby tones and a wisp of white lacing.

S: Caramel.

T: This is a strange one. Woody notes, drier than the nose lets on, and an almost meaty aftertaste.

M: Light to medium bodied.

O: Quite let down by this one. Very little complexity and what flavor it has is off-putting. (305 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -32.8%

12 oz Can?!? Poured into a Stone Imperial Stout glass.
Pours a ruby brown with a good sized, thick head.
Smell is malty, some whiskey character, dried fruit (cherries, prunes).
Taste is full flavored, cherries and dried fruit up front with a very nice scotch wiskey character to finish.
The strangest thing about this beer (stranger than it being from a can) is the aftertaste. An almost acrid sweetness that does not sit well with me. I was only able to finish half of the can. (482 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -32%

A: Pours a very dark brown with a tan had that recedes into a slight halo.

S: Brown sugar, malt, barley, honey

T: Slight malts and brown sugar up front that recedes quickly. Very one dimensional and no aftertaste.

M: Smooth, faint, lacking carbonation.

O: Not a big fan. The nose is pretty simple and it's very hard to pick out anything of note and the taste is very lackluster and one dimensional. I hope all scotch ales aren't like this. (443 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -30.5%

Can, Delerium mini snifter

A: Dark, murky brown, almost opaque. Little to no head.

S: Mostly malts, some dark fruit...maybe raisins. Some alcohol.

T: Taste is much like the nose, roasty malts, dark fruits.. raisins, prunes. Slightly smoky, but subdued. Alcohol is warming, but pleasantly so.

M: Smooth, creamy

D: Drinkability suffers at 8%. This is a decent beer, I could have a couple of these, but why?

This Scotch Ale ended up disappointing me. The flavors are there, but the beer just seems thin despite its creamy mouthfeel. Its actually difficult to explain. I mean, people are calling this a "sipper" but I cant find any flavors big enough here to merit a sipper.

Ill admit, though, that this is only my second scotch ale. My first was on tap at Portsmouth Brewery in New Hampshire, and I loved it. That beer is the reason why Ive been meaning to pick this one up, in fact. (889 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -30%

Poured from can into pint glass.

Appearance - Nearly as dark as a stout, looks much like a porter with a moderately thick tan head that sticks around for a little while before diminishing. Good lacing.

Smell - Malt smells dominate, chocolate msotly from what I can detect, not overpowering, in fact it's very pleasant to the nose.

Taste - Harsh bitterness from the get-go. The first thing I thought of was wine, sour and not pleasantly so. Mellows out a bit and finishes nicely, but far from palatable. Certainly there's complexity but it's no fun to let it sit on your palate and find out just what it tastes like. Frankly I don't like it.

Overall - A beer that's exceptional in every area except the most important one: how it tastes. It's not uniformly bad and I can understand how other people, people more experienced with beer than me perhaps, might like it, but it's simply not my thing. Cheers to the canning revolution, though. (940 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -29.8%

Had a can at the Foglesville inn in (you guessed it...) Foglesville, PA. Poured into an American Pint glass by an obviously somewhat inept bar tender. The following review is from notes.

Pour - Not impressed. Dark brown with clear edges and hues of dark purple and shades of pitch black. Absolutely no head whatsoever. Not sure if she just doesn't know how to pour, or if its from the beer but there doesn't seem to be a lot of carbonation, so i surmise it may be a combination of both.

Nose - a beautiful aroma of sweet chocolate malt, peat moss and licorice. A very full and complex nose. Very impressed by the smell despite the apparent lack of any carbonation. I actually smell scotch...

Taste - not too bad. Doesn't really exemplify the style of beer but this is interesting. Lots of dark malts, a nutty organic flow that builds up as it warms and an underlying, lingering bitter alcohol tang is an interesting finish. Unlike any scotch ale Ive ever had, i think this tastes more like actual scotch than scotch ale - this is even heavy for a wee heavy. No strange sweetness, and very little hops - this is almost a flat, high alcohol porter that tastes like its been aged in a scotch cask.

Mouthfeel - weird. FULL bodied with a different character - almost oily and grainy. Not very smooth, even at almost freezing temperature. I think this would be better with a. any carbonation at all, b. the expectation of a high abv porter or something along the lines of a "peat moss" stout, or c. something to hang my hat on as far as taste - hops, barley, chocolate, SOMETHING. It tastes like a flat rum and coke except substitute laphroag islay scotch for the rum and make it a double.

Drinkability - wanna get toasty and spend a lot of money, drink this. Wanna enjoy a scotch ale, don't drink this. Not recommended. (1,822 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -29.8%

This beer was an anomaly. I'm torn between the way it started and the way it finished. First, I would give the advice to allow this beer to sit and warm a bit. It pours a dark amber with transparent reddish orange along the edges. Perhaps it was ruined by the can, but it only had only a light scotch malt and inexpensive alcohol aroma. A thin mouth feel initially, it filled out a bit when it warmed. The alcohol flavor did not match the taste and so reminded me of a steel reserve or other high alcohol cheap beer. However, as it warmed the caramel malts came out a bit more. In the end, after sitting for half an hour, the strengthened mouthfeel and slightly more complex flavor still could not overpower the overbearing alcohol finish. (739 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -29.8%

12oz can into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a half inch head that dissipates steadily. Pours a dark red brown and leaves small lines of lacing.

Smell: At first, musty, with some faint plum. I like this aroma, but it's way too faint. Warmth doesn't solve this problem; the smell never really makes it off the runway, so to speak.

Taste: Sweet and roasty, with mild grape and plum notes in the middle leaving to molasses and then no finish. It "just stops" like the Home Movies episode with Alexandre. Tastes a little sugary.

Not very long into drinking the beer the flavors get very muddled. The beechwood-smoked malt that was apparently used isn't doing anything here. The flavors that are present don't really open up, but rather just fade into each other. Uninspired... I could grade this lower, but it's inoffensive at least.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Mildly watery. Inoffensive, but also unremarkable.

Drinkability: I wouldn't turn this beer down, but I also won't buy it again.

From the makers of Ten Fidy and the even better Dale's Pale Ale (a standby for me), this beer is a huge letdown. I've had several cans of it now, and they all failed to impress me.

---

As a sidenote to this cold to lukewarm review, I'll note that halfway through the beer I had some Buffalo Bleu Kettle Chips. The spicy chips and this beer went together beautifully; they really were both very enhanced by the pairing.

If I were Captain Cookman and had people over to eat BBQ or something, I'd get another 6pack of this to pair with dinner sometime (or I'd recommend it to someone else who is both Captain BBQ and fond of hosting people). Unfortunately, I'm Private Hermit, so I will likely never buy this beer again. (1,748 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz can in pint glass

very deep brown hazelnut amber color. hardly transparant through, no head. it looks thick.

the sweetness is a bit overwhelming at first. it has a very thick, heavy body that coats your mouth. personally i can't do beers that are thick as can be and overwhelmingly sweet, it's too much for me. it did have some chocolate and carmel flavors i could appreciate but this beer is just not my thing. it's decent for what it is though. (454 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured from can to pint glass while at Moe's in Lionshead (Vail). The beer pours a slightly hazy deep ruby red color with a 1 finger off-white head with some retention and lacing. The aroma is a mix of sweetness from caramal malts and roasted character. The high abv is also prevalent. The flavor is dominated by strong malt character. Roasty flavors but mostly a malt sweetness. The sweetness is very overpowering. Finishes sweet with lingering mild bitterness and a reminder of the alcohol. Not pleasant, really. Full bodied and oily in character. Rather average. Overall, I remember enjoying this beer a lot more than this can. I found it hot and thick in sweetness, too much for the style to make it really enjoyable. (721 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -28.5%

Served on tap at Oskar Blues Tap Room

A- extremely dark brown with a white head

S- intense smell. Hoppy, yet malty. Espresso notes

T- strong taste, pretty malty, but you can still taste the hops. Nutty aftertaste

M- a bit watery for its style. Intense aftertaste

O- not really my style, however it has an interesting flavor, so worth a try (345 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -28%

Years ago my friend's dad bought a can for him as a joke because he was a fat guy, it sat in the fridge for six months before we cracked it open, and being BMC's at the time we thought it tasted like a wet sock. I hoped to get a better review this time, so here it goes:

A- dark brown with a tan head

S- peat smokiness up front with syrupy malts, the neighbors thought it smelled like Copenhagen spit but I didn't sense it

T- once again, peat smoke and molasses dominated the taste although it became very muddy as it warmed up

M- moderate carbonation, chewy body

D- it took awhile to finish, and isn't my favorite style but i could see where others would like this (670 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sampled from a 12oz can.

A - Deep, dark beer; almost black but not quite. Small but sturdy head with good lacing.

S - Sweet, syrupy, molasses.

T - First impression is roasted malt but then sweet, peaty flavors take over. Some hops jump in every now and then. I liked the experience for the most part but every now and then some off notes seem to leap out at you. I'm not sure what is was but it increased as the glass went on.

M - Very low carbonation which I liked. Smooth and silky.

D - I had mixed feelings about this beer. There were times I liked it and times I didn't. I'm not sure I would go back for more. (618 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last