Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-13-2003

From the Oskar Blues website: "This jaw-dropping Scottish strong ale (8% ABV) is brewed with bodacious amounts of malted barley and specialty grains, and a dash of beechwood-smoked malt."
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale Alström Bros

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

3.79/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a can. Not too much of a head. Color is dark brown, mid to high 30s SRM. Left very solid lace. Aroma was mildly sweet but the high alcohol is apparent and you definitely enjoy it on the taste. No bitterness. The alcohol leaves a warming flavor as it goes down and almost acts as a topical on the roof of the mouth. Medium viscosity is enjoyable on the palate as it lingers. Great Scotch ale that seems stronger than the 8 it claims. I would buy again and can recommend to anyone wanting a wee heavy.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a brilliantly clear, red-mahogany, with a short-lived tan head. Deep, rich malty nose with suggestions of candy sugar and grape-nuts. Rich, enveloping, malty palate balanced by a reserved hop bitterness. Decent Belgian lace forms. The ABV provides warmth and is noticeable. Tastes like a heavy should! Sweet, delicious, rich, and satisfying. You can have too many!

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

4.18/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Poured from 12 ounce can into a snifter. Very dark amber in color, similar to a cola. Generated a one finger mocha colored head that leaves a thick lacing.

Smell: Not an overly strong aroma. Faint malty sweetness, a bit soapy.

Taste: A very nice malty sweetness! As it warms, more caramel flavor with a tinge of roasty bitterness takes hold. This lingers in aftertaste. The alcohol is very well hidden.

Mouthfeel: A medium mouthfeel, with minimal carbonation.

Overall: It has been awhile since I've sampled this style and I've always enjoyed them (even though I rarely opt for them). This beer is reminiscent to liquid caramels and I love it! I would have liked the mouthfeel to be a little more full bodied, but that's a minor issue for me. Now that Oskar Blues is readily available in my area, I will be purchasing again.

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

3.78/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the can into a snifter....

One the pour, a dark, almost opaque brownish/black that will show the smallest bit of dark copper color through the glass while holding it up to light. Fairly thin head, maybe 1/2 a finger that dissipated quickly to a light foam ring around the glass.

Very light in the aroma department for me. A little swirling was necessary (OK, maybe a lot of swirling) to generate any enough aromatics for my senses to pick up separate notes. A little light smoke, sweet malts and maybe a little fruit is what I could detect.

In tasting, sweet (but not too), molasses, smoke, char, maybe what I thought were cherries. As it warms up, raisins come through, a little bitter chocolate, other fruit notes. Just a little alcohol burn at the end too. Nothing offending, just a nice balance of flavors.

Medium mouthfeel, not over carbonated (maybe a little under in the serving I had). Sticky and a dry finish.

Overall, for my first wee heavy, this is a nice ale and I already added it to my list (ever-growing) of beers that I won't hesitate to buy again or have on-hand. I was expecting something way stronger, almost overpowering and this is nothing like I expected, which is a good thing. I wouldn't session this but it seems to be a nice cold weather brew and for me, a pleasant change from stouts and porters at the moment. Way to go Oskar Blues!

Cheers!