Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Old Chub - Scottish Style AleOld Chub - Scottish Style Ale

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

From the Oskar Blues website: "This jaw-dropping Scottish strong ale (8% ABV) is brewed with bodacious amounts of malted barley and specialty grains, and a dash of beechwood-smoked malt."

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-13-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

I'm not going to get into too much detail with this one because I drank it all day during the NFL division championship round of games last weekend (Green Bay beat Chicago and Pitt beat the Jets), and all I remember is that I f'ing loved it. In a can but still drinks expensive. Rich but still drinkable all day. So, I definitely plan on finding some more to always have around the house.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a deep dark brown with ruby highlights. Very thin head. Aroma is dominated by caramel and chocolate. Just a slight fruitiness from the yeast maybe? I don't know?

Carbonation is good. Right where it out to be. Slightly sweet, but pretty balanced I think. Nice medium body. Just a slight bitter bite from the roasted malts.

This beer is highly drinkable. It isn't too heavy or too sweet. It's just great.

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%

Can't get this in my area, so it is a real treat when I get to have a couple. Time to do a review and give this Scotch its props.

A: deep brown/black pour; nice tan head; leaves a curtain of lacing on the side of the glass.

S: nice malt nose, a little hint of smokiness and alcohol.

T: fantastic balance of malt body, hop spice, and a short burst of smoky booze at the end. Love it.

M/D: I haven't tried too many Scotch ales, but of those I have tried this one has by far the best body (similar to an oatmeal stout to me) and mouthfeel. I could put away more than a couple of these away in one sitting.

3.85/5  rDev -4%

Old Chub for me is one of the funnier names I have come across. However this beer is no laughing matter. Let me tell you about this goodness hiding behind this green labeled can with the funny name.

Pouring this beer into the glass you are greeted with a nice amber color. A bunch of little micro bubbles fizz up quickly and die away just as fast leaving only a small skinny ring around the edge of the glass. This beer does not play hard to get but instead is almost throwing itself at you, what a hoochie. Not being able to resist I take my first sip. As the beer rushes in a whole bunch of tiny bubbles dance across my tongue. I mention this because it was quite intense in a good way. The taste is nice and sweet. I sat for a while trying to figure out what this beer tastes like, more like drank one every night until I only had two left. The only thing I came up with was sweet grains. The flavor while sweet hit my tongue right across the middle and a little to the back on the sides as it finished. Since I tend to drink a lot of heavy dark beers this one felt really light on my mouth. I would hesitate this is a light beer rather I would have to say this would be a nice full bodied beer. The smell is light and tastes like it smelled, sweet.

I really enjoyed this beer. It was a nice change of pace and I will always support a micro brew brave enough to stick their beer in cans. Cans are a hard sell for the uninformed, and there are many out there. It seams after reading through my review that all I can say is this beer is sweet. I kind of feel like the guys in the movie "Dude wheres my car?". Well not to string this out any further I recommend you pick up a six-o-cans and drink down this nectar. My local beer stores are selling this for $9.99 I hope you get as good a deal.

3.4/5  rDev -15.2%

A: Pours a deep amber, tending to black. There was a very thin tan head that faded rather quickly, leaving no lacing to speak of.

S: Roasted malt with a hint of dark chocolate and caramel.

T: Rich but simple malt flavor with hints of brown sugar and cocoa. Overall, the basic flavor was to style, but lacked any real complexity, unlike the Scottish wee heavies I've had.

M: Smooth and creamy, low on carbonation and ever so slightly warming.

D: I'd certainly not turn down more of these, but to my mind, there are better examples of the style, both domestic and of course from Scotland itself.

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%

Marked " 09-07-10 Yer in chubble"

A- Dark mohogany brown color. True to the style, the minimal dark tan head settles quickly to a ring.

S- Aroma of cola nut, caramel, & apple must.

T- Flavors of mocha & carmelized Billington's brown sugar. Thankfully, the Old Chub is an authentic representation of the style with its correctly restrained hops.

M, D- A viscous medium body. A very creamy and smooth feel like the Belhaven Wee Heavy, which is certainly a compliment.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Poured into 13 oz tulip. Very attractive rusty red, with a nice two inch white and sticky head. Very nice lacing that hangs around the whole time. A malt powered smell of burnt sugars and hints of plum. Solid taste, more powerful then the nose, some alcohol in the finish. Thickest Scotch Ale I have ever had,a wonderful winter warmer. Moderate carbonation. I think this great one in done beer, that would be perfect after snow blowing the driveway.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours from the can a beautiful medium to dark brown with a nice cap of off-white foam on top. Aromas of caramel, roasted nuts, light peat smoke and dark fruit. On the palate this one is fairly full-bodied, with a little peat, dark fruit, chewy malt and alcohol.

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

Can. Canned on 09-07-10 @ 15:16. Poured into a DFH tulip glass a deep, dark clear copper color with a 1 finger light tan head. Caramel, slight smoke, peat, and some spice fill out the nose. Medium mouthfeel. Caramel smokiness comes to mind first as I take my first sip. I haven't had a whole lot of Scotch Ales so my experience is rather minimal with this style but it is fairly easy drinking and has a nice flavor profile. Its fairly rich and the flavor really comes alive as it warms. It starts with an almost caramel apple start with some smoke that then transitions to a lingering bitterness. The 8% really isn't that noticeable. Minimal lace.

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

A good beer to enjoy on a cold Saturday with a ton of snow on the ground.
In a pint glass the beer was a red/brown color with a thin tan head and a tiny bit of lace.
Caramel malt aroma. Sweet.
Caramel taste, maybe more on the toffee side. Some whiskey. Hops late.
A full-bodied, enjoyable beer.

Can poured into a tulip

A: Pours a dark copper color almost brown, leaves a slight tan head, that leaves some nice lacing

S: Slight hint of coffee, with simple smells of scotch, very pleasant.

T: Some hints of chocolate and good scotch. Also some dark fruits at the tail end

M: Medium body with almost no carbonation, very very smooth, great beer from OB!

D: Very drinkable for a scotch ale, Definitely will enjoy this one again!

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%

Oskar Blues Old Chub has a nice dark brown colour and a good 3 mm head that fades to excellent lacing over the entire upper surface of my pint glass. The smell is very malty with some sweet caramel overtones. The taste is malty with some hop balance up friont. The maltiness is the dominant flavour though with some sweet toffee too. The finish is like sweet bitter coffee. After drinking it for awhile, the bitter and smokey aftertaste built to be unpleasant. This beer has a lot going for it. It reminds me of Founders Dirty Bastard, except for the aftertaste.

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%

This beer poured a dark reddish brown with a one finger high off-white head. The head quickly dissipated to a thin and sticky lace. The initial smell of the beer is sweet with traces of alcohol, followed by some barley and light malts. The initial taste of the beer is light caramel, malts, barley, dark fruits (plums and dates.) The brew had a medium body with light carbonation, which was barely present at all.

Overall this was a good beer. From the scotch ales that I have had, this was nothing special for the style. In general, it seemed like a safety attempt at this style. They could have done more with the body and definitely a bit more carbonation.

2.83/5  rDev -29.4%

12oz can into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a half inch head that dissipates steadily. Pours a dark red brown and leaves small lines of lacing.

Smell: At first, musty, with some faint plum. I like this aroma, but it's way too faint. Warmth doesn't solve this problem; the smell never really makes it off the runway, so to speak.

Taste: Sweet and roasty, with mild grape and plum notes in the middle leaving to molasses and then no finish. It "just stops" like the Home Movies episode with Alexandre. Tastes a little sugary.

Not very long into drinking the beer the flavors get very muddled. The beechwood-smoked malt that was apparently used isn't doing anything here. The flavors that are present don't really open up, but rather just fade into each other. Uninspired... I could grade this lower, but it's inoffensive at least.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Mildly watery. Inoffensive, but also unremarkable.

Drinkability: I wouldn't turn this beer down, but I also won't buy it again.

From the makers of Ten Fidy and the even better Dale's Pale Ale (a standby for me), this beer is a huge letdown. I've had several cans of it now, and they all failed to impress me.

---

As a sidenote to this cold to lukewarm review, I'll note that halfway through the beer I had some Buffalo Bleu Kettle Chips. The spicy chips and this beer went together beautifully; they really were both very enhanced by the pairing.

If I were Captain Cookman and had people over to eat BBQ or something, I'd get another 6pack of this to pair with dinner sometime (or I'd recommend it to someone else who is both Captain BBQ and fond of hosting people). Unfortunately, I'm Private Hermit, so I will likely never buy this beer again.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Purchased a 6 pack on 1/19/11 with a born on date of 5/30/09 (lucky me!) Poured from 12 oz can to a Sam Adams Imperial Series snifter.

A- Can opened with little to no carbonation, poured a very darkish reddish brown. with little head.

S- Smells like sweet caramel with a strong nutty scent almost like a fine porter, it smells extremely sexy.

T- Sweet sugary taste like chocolates and caramel, strong alcohol presence (8.0abv) on the finish but finishes very well.

M- It rolls around mouth like a fine port wine the thick sugars leave a dry mouth and moist lips.

D- Yes, its drinkable, cheers!

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

pours a nice rich dark brown, almost black. Enough spiderwebbing to notice.

a nice warming aroma. a dark beer smell. Not a particularly strong nose. But still a good smell.

glorious is the taste! granted I am partial to Scotch ales, and there's some Scottish blood in my veins. It's very smooth, but has all of the carmel warmth I love in a Scotch ale. Compared to other common Scotch Ales, it's a little mild, but it's nice. A little more approachable when you're not in the mood for a real heavy beer.

again very smooth, good mouthfeel. clean finish.

good drinkability, just a little on the pricey side. lighter than other Scotch Ales, which make it easier to throw a few back.

4.13/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown color with red around the edges and a small creamy tan head that faded quickly; decent spotty lacing that clings to the glass.

Smells of toasted malt, cocoa, toffee, caramel, toasted grains, syrup, rum, cinnamon, raisin and other dark fruit and some light spices and/or alcohol. Overall the aroma is sweet and malty.

Tastes of toasted malt, cocoa, toffee, caramel, toasted grains, coffee grinds, syrup, rum, cinnamon, raisin, date and other dark fruit, some light hop spices from floral hops, and alcohol like this was aged in a wine barrel. The alcohol brings light heat and is present throughout, but adds nice vanilla and smoky notes and there's also a general sweetness that's enjoyable.

Mouthfeel was crisp and smooth at the same time, with medium carbonation, a medium body, and a slight bitterness in the finish.

Drinkability was good, as this bordered on being too sweet but did not cross the line into gross sweetness overkill; went down relatively easy considering it was 8% ABV and I enjoyed this quite a bit. I recommend trying this beer.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

A - dark brown raison color. nice tan head. medium in size.

s - earthy chocolates and dark chocolates. yummy airy malts.

t - coffee and chocolate. more like a brown ale than a stout. chocolatey and like toffee and malt.

m - medium and dry.

d- good

3.6/5  rDev -10.2%

From a 12oz can, courtesy of arvjunk. Thanks Ankur!

A: Pours a dark reddish brown; cloudy- as seen through light passing through the edges of the glass (but not much else). Very small off-white head.

S: Extremely malty: caramel, toffee, and dark fruit are easily detected. As the beer warms, the dark fruit begins to stand apart from the others.

T: Sweetness as soon as the first drop touches my tongue; the same elements from smell are all represented here, only stronger, and with a bit of raisin thrown in. The sweetness throws things out of balance a bit, but by no means a bad taste (and if you prefer sweet beers, you'll love this).

M: Medium body; very creamy and smooth, with moderate carbonation.

D: Oversweetness prohibits this one from being extremely drinkable, but I never got sick of it throughout the one glass that I had. Still, would not opt for another in the same night.

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a deep dark reddish brown color with a thick yellowish white head and tons of lacing. Smells of coffee and tons of malts. Tastes of tons of malts -- a malt overload -- and some toffee, caramel, chocolate, and coffee. Mouthfeel is medium with a little carbonation. Drinkability is okay.

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

From the can into a pint glass

A-dark cloudy light swallowing beer. About a 1/2 inch head that disappears almost as quickly as it appeared.

S-Malty goodness!!! Coffee, toffee and chocolate are all present.

T-Tastes exactly like you think it would from the smell. Unsweetened chocolate is the main thing i get with some coffee and caramel notes coming through as well.

M-medium with little carbonation

Drink ability-Very drinkable beer for something that sits at 8%abv.

Beer from a can is something i usually avoid unless im fishing or camping but this beer is a keeper. If i could find it more easily i would keep this beer around all the time. A definite must try.

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Poured an EXTREMELY dark, reddish brown color (almost pitch black), with about a 3/4 finger head that quickly settled down to a mere froth. This is a very cloudy beer indeed!

S: Candy sugar, approaching "Astro Pop" territory, with a huge array of maltiness, but nothing too roasty. Dates? Raisons?

T: Smooth candy-coated goodness! There was a mild alcohol burn, but the dark fruitiness along with the strong caramel notes disguised this quite well. The finish was round and squarely balanced.

M: Nice sugary thickness without being too sweet or syrupy. The lacing was fairly substantial, but didn't bog down the experience for me mouthfeel-wise.

D: I'm notoriously not a fan of this style because many I've tried has sort of a "dog food-like" aftertaste that I usually find unpleasant. "Old Chub" had none of those things and I found it to be a pure malt-candy delight. This may be my new favorite Scotch Ale.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

I have to tell ya....I'm not sold on beer in cans, but this could change my mind. Poured Dark reddish brown with a small off-white head. Aroma is malty and spicy with lots of caramel notes and somewhat earthy. The flavor is sweet and malty with wonderful caramel notes and hints of dried fruits. Some light herbal notes and grassy hops. The finish is mildly bitter with a hint of alcohol and more malts. Full-bodied with smooth carbonation.
Thanx goes to D Kurtz....again. Nice surprise, I heard a lot of good about Oscar Blues, now I need to try the rest.

Good Scotch Ale, not too hefty but reliable and pleasing as it is.

Presentation: 12 oz. can. Overall green, white, and metallic silver design highlighting the name of the brew over a small mountain horizon with a Scotch patterned ribbon. Top of the can includes a tongue in cheek one-liner by way of describing the brew. Shows canned date (08-25-10), and notes Alc. by Vol. (8.0%) Served on a tulip glass.

A - Ruby brown pour, nice brown head 1"+, medium retention and fair surface memory with minimal lacing.

S - Malty and sweet nose a bit mineral/metallic not in a bad way, dash of caramel...

T - Rich malty sense, caramel, dark fruity dash woven with the malt, nice hint of smokiness as it flows.

M - Medium body, smooth with moderate carbonation.

D - Nice drink, maybe on the leaner side of Scotch ales but with enough range to make it very reliable and pleasing.

Notes: Maybe within the style this would deserve a higher mark? Pretty good malty offering in any case from Oskar Blues.

Poured from a can into an Oskar Blue's pint glass

Appearance: Pours a very deep brown in color with red highlights, minimal size head slowly recedes as this one sits for a couple seconds, left little lacing behind on the glass but the color alone makes this a standout. Peering at the top of the glass I can see tons of little bubbles lifting up the glass.

Smell: I get tons of caramel and toffee aromas up front, very sweet smelling! A bit of smoke runs rampant on the nostrils which is very inviting. Your typical scotch ale properties are here, with plenty of dark fruit laying gently in the backround here.

Taste: The beechwood really comes through upon first sip! Smoke and malted barley combine for a perfect pairing, the maltiness is sweet and a bit sharp. Some darker fruits like plum and raisin come through here as well. This one taste very similar to DFH's Immort Ale - with the smoke adding a whole new element to this beer combined with the big malt backbone. Finish rolls over the tongue with some esters and a tiny bit of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is low yet just enough to keep this one feeling nice on the tongue. Medium to full bodied yet smooth and robust in the mouth. Minimal bitterness.

Drinkability: I love me a good American scotch ale, a good smoked beer, and beer from a can! This one combines all the great elements I've come to love about beer! The beechwood comes through beautifully in the glass on this one, and the big malt backbone is not overly sweet or cloying, which makes this one of the better scotch ale's I've had. The 8.0% ABV is well hidden here, so be careful with this one! An excellent beer all around and one that should be tried by all!

Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew