Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

rAvg: 4
Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

From the Oskar Blues website: "This jaw-dropping Scottish strong ale (8% ABV) is brewed with bodacious amounts of malted barley and specialty grains, and a dash of beechwood-smoked malt."

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-13-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

can into an SA perfect pint.

a- deep brownishblack, dark watered down coffee was my thought, no head to speak of

s- yum, dark malts caramel with strong vanilla

t- again dark malts and the caramel and vanilla linger on the palate. light hint of alcohol tingle, quite subtle and really well covered up actually

m- syrupy smooth, it's staying for a while on your tongue though

d- the epic scotch ale in the unassuming lil can. beats the hell outta Dale's but can't overtake Ten Fidy...

well played, Oskar Blues, well played.

drink this

hu5om, Jul 02, 2010
4/5  rDev 0%

Poured a dark brown into my Sam Adams pint glass. Gave two fingers of head that left behind some impressive lacing behind with each sip. The smell was extremely malty and sweet. Some definite caramel and chocolate scents in there. Taste was what I expected from the smell. Next to no hops. Had a very sweet malt taste with chocolate and caramel up front. I picked up a nice smoke taste on the backside. Mouthfeel was full and very smooth. I would never have guessed its 8%. This just became my new stand by brew.

russellaaron69, Jun 28, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured one finger of cappuccino colored head over a dark caramel, cola-like body.

Nose has strong malt and caramel notes. Scotch, roastiness and smokiness also present.

There wasn't as much sweetness in the taste as the aroma would lead one to believe. Still, malt, coffee, chocolate and dark fruits were present. A touch of hoppiness at the back end.

Mouthfeel wasn't as thick as I expected and it had a fair amount of carbonation.

This sat in my stomach more heavily than I expected, considering the mouthfeel. It isn't too boozey, considering the style.

BeckyFreesTibet, Jun 24, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +1.3%

Canned on April 27th.

A: Very dark brown cola color. A little bit of slightly brownish head with some spotty lacing. Very nice looking beer.

S: Lots of malt sweetness. A touch of chocolate in the back. I even got a little bit of smoked peat in it which is always something I look for and enjoy for the style.

T: Starts off with a nice subdued sweetness. This is a nice malt bomb. That touch of smoke really helps to balance things out. Little bit of raisins in there. Little bit of heat at the end.

M: Light for the style and ABV but being in a can that is ok.

D: I really enjoyed this beer. A really nice example of the style and anytime you can get a good beer in a can it is a win.

aerozeppl, Jun 24, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

A vigorous pour yeilds a thick beige head above a translucent dark brown body with redish-amber highlights.

Lightly sweet aroma contains notes of peat kilned malt.

Taste is sweet with the above mentioned peat fired malt flavor add some huskiness and an alcohol note.

Mouthfeel is full and smooth, well made.

Drinkability is good even on a hot summer day.

cbn, Jun 23, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured a 12 oz Can onto a snifter glass.

A - Dark brown, but I could still see some light through it. It had a half inch light beige head that dissipated rather quickly, however, it left a bit of lacing on the side of my glass and a nice foamy ring remained around the edge pretty much throughout.

S - Roasted malt, bits of milk chocolate, and maybe it was my imagination, but I got a bit of cola component on the nose, almost like a coke & vanilla ice cream "Blackout".

T - I get mild chocolate, definitely malt, caramel (like from a "Flan" custard), and again a bit of the cola hint came through.

M - Nice creamy medium bodied feel, with some tingles from the carbonation. Nice.

D - I can drink this beer every day, all day long...now, at 8% ABV, I could be dropping the Kilt fast and furiously. This is a sneaky one, because I cannot feel the alcohol in it!

I LOVE THIS BEER!!!

Salud!

Yimosan, Jun 20, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -36.8%

I see this everywhere and finally gave it a go when I saw it was a well-rated exemplar of a style I haven't tried. I mostly like IPAs, so this is an Indian Lover's take on a Scottish ale.

Looks like cola in the glass, which is kind of a cool trick. Couldn't really smell it. It took me a few sips to adjust to the flavor, but unfortunately I found I didn't really like it. Something earthy and fruity like dried figs, can't quite put my finger on it. It has a tangy sweetness around the edges, but the earthy bitterness is strong, and not a kind I like. I can really taste the alcohol, and there is a definite warming effect as it goes down. The whole combination is a bit reminiscent of taking cough syrup.

I can see how someone with a different palate might like this, but it's not for me. I don't think I'll be coming back for more any time soon.

Schmit, Jun 19, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can, dark brown with not much head that fades pretty quickly. Looks well carbonated with a good amount of bubbles. Mild, sweet, slightly raisin smell. Toasty malt taste and some caramel. Mouthfeel is thick and smooth. Very drinkable, I would definitely have this again.

sadie23, Jun 19, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Belgian tulip glass.

A: Pours a dark reddish amber with little carbonation leaving a thin film of head. Leaves small touches of lace as you drink it.

S: Malty with dark raisins and a hint of caramel.

T: A lot like it smells. Sweet with dark raisins and caramel. Perhaps a hint of roasted oak.

M: Silky and lingering but not cloying. Quite pleasant overall.

D: Very drinkable. The sweetness would be a bit wearying over time but it's very smooth for its strength. Zero alcohol burn and pleasantly warming.

EvilGnome6, Jun 19, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +7%

Pours from the 12 oz. can (still gotta get used to typing "can" instead of "bottle") a cola colored brown with a light tan, foamy, one finger head that rather quickly settles into a thick collar. I can't make out the level of carbonation because it's impossible to see how many (if any) bubbles there are in the darkness. Aroma is sweet & malty, with hints of caramel & chocolate. The 1st sip is a rich joyous blend of caramel, coffee, semi-sweet chocolate, and roasted malt with a touch of smoke thrown in. The mouthfeel is of notable substance...bold, thick, but not overpoweringly heavy. The drinkability is almost too good...this goes down dangerously easy for a beer weighing in at 8% abv. Overall? Holy Haggis!! This is one hell of a beautiful brew!! I'm gonna be buying quite a lot of this in the near future!!!

CJfromPhilly, Jun 15, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -5.5%

Bought this one after wanting tontaste some real craft beer from a can. Pours dark brown and slightly thick. Some carbonation with little to no head. Aromas of caramel and sweet corn. Hints of some alcohol. Starts off sweet and the malts really start to take presedence. There is some hints of bubble gum and caramel popcorn. Really surprised by the flavor. I like to say that I do get metalic flavors but that might be mental. I really enjoyed this one. The finish ends with a great coat of hops and malts.

emagana, Jun 14, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -6.8%

"Born on date" 4-27-10 at 8:41 - Glad to know I have a morning Chub!

A - Poured a deep, dark red into a Duvel tulip. Absolutely beautiful looking glass of beer with a thick tan head.
S - Real malty with a hint of caramel.
T - The malts really hit hard and leave you with the caramel aftertaste. I don't say this often, but it tastes like it smells... whatever that means.
M - Thick and coating caramel malts.
D - Very smooth for 8%. Alcohol is well hidden. One could down a few of these pretty easy.

copyguyadam, Jun 14, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

Great beers in a can...Gotta love Oskar Blues.

A--Nice reddish-brown hue, very little lacing.

S--I guess you would say faint caramel with malts in the nose.

T--Great tasting Ale, caramel and just a twinge of oak in the finish. Malty goodness!

M--Smooth, not too thin.

D--At 8 percent, this could be a little tricky in terms of making a session beer of out it, however, highly recommended!

garbercury, Jun 13, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

A good dark brown pour, minimal off white colored head.

Aroma is quite malty, caramel, light chocolates.

Taste is malty as well, with a touch of roast and charred wood. Caramel, toffee and some chocolate. Some light dark fruits throughout if you really look. Finishes with just a bit of the toasted oak likeness. Just a kiss of hop presence here as well.

There is more carbonation than the appearance would leave one to believe. Medium bodied though, the carb keeps it pretty balanced in the mouth. Alcohol is not very present, until you've had a couple.

I can't think of many I enjoy more from this style. There does seem to be a little variation from can to can, which may lead to some of the lesser reviews, or not. This is a solid brew, just maybe not what some expect from the style.

Bung, Jun 11, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours brown and caramely with a thin, tan head.

Aroma is caramel, roasted and dark malt, dark fruit and a hint of earthiness. The rich caramel is dominant.

Taste is sweet, smooth and rich. Dark crystal malt with a bit of dark fruit and maybe a hint of peated malt. Finish has a nice hop balance to it, and a bit of breadiness.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick. Carbonation is low.

Very drinkable for being 8%, it hides it well. I enjoyed drinking this quite a lot.

trevorjn06, Jun 10, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -16.8%

A: The pour is a deep, dark mahogany color with a soapy off-white head.

S: A very sweet and malty aroma with plenty of caramel. A lightly peaty note as well, which is always nice is this kind of beer.

T: Again, this is quite sweet with notes of caramel and brown sugar. There is a slight watery quality to the flavor as well, unfortunately.

M: Somewhat flat and watery, which is really disappointing. Slick on the tongue.

D: Really not a great offering from Oskar Blues. I would rather pick up a can of Gordon or Ten Fidy.

womencantsail, Jun 08, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -30%

Had a can at the Foglesville inn in (you guessed it...) Foglesville, PA. Poured into an American Pint glass by an obviously somewhat inept bar tender. The following review is from notes.

Pour - Not impressed. Dark brown with clear edges and hues of dark purple and shades of pitch black. Absolutely no head whatsoever. Not sure if she just doesn't know how to pour, or if its from the beer but there doesn't seem to be a lot of carbonation, so i surmise it may be a combination of both.

Nose - a beautiful aroma of sweet chocolate malt, peat moss and licorice. A very full and complex nose. Very impressed by the smell despite the apparent lack of any carbonation. I actually smell scotch...

Taste - not too bad. Doesn't really exemplify the style of beer but this is interesting. Lots of dark malts, a nutty organic flow that builds up as it warms and an underlying, lingering bitter alcohol tang is an interesting finish. Unlike any scotch ale Ive ever had, i think this tastes more like actual scotch than scotch ale - this is even heavy for a wee heavy. No strange sweetness, and very little hops - this is almost a flat, high alcohol porter that tastes like its been aged in a scotch cask.

Mouthfeel - weird. FULL bodied with a different character - almost oily and grainy. Not very smooth, even at almost freezing temperature. I think this would be better with a. any carbonation at all, b. the expectation of a high abv porter or something along the lines of a "peat moss" stout, or c. something to hang my hat on as far as taste - hops, barley, chocolate, SOMETHING. It tastes like a flat rum and coke except substitute laphroag islay scotch for the rum and make it a double.

Drinkability - wanna get toasty and spend a lot of money, drink this. Wanna enjoy a scotch ale, don't drink this. Not recommended.

BricksandPorter, Jun 08, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -40%

Poured from can into pint glass.

A: Dark brown coloring, rather small head.

S: Mostly malt on the nose, but not much else there.

T: The sweetness is a bit overpowering. Not quite sure what else is there causing me to dislike it - maybe a weird licorice aftertaste? This is definitely a malty beverage. Another reviewer said the taste was chalkiness - maybe that's what I'm getting.

M: Rather thin-bodied. Low carbonation.

D: I would say that this was not very drinkable for me - I had to work to take down the whole beer. Honestly, I don't have much experience with scotch ales, so I can't tell if I don't like the style, or I just don't like the beer.

I'm a little disappointed - this has been the only Oskar Blues beer I've tried that I haven't liked.

rosmhuire, Jun 02, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +17%

Poured from the can into large wine glass,temp at about 40.Nice dark color,good clarity,half finger head.went down nice and smooth,very rich.I liked this one alot,good sipping beer.Alcohol was present,but not overpowering.I was a little skeptical of it coming from a can,but don't let that fool you!You wont regret this one.

edwardeckel, Jun 02, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +7%

Poured the can into an oversized pint glass.

Pours a dark brown with ruby red shining through. Has a fluffy off white head. Head fades to a lace island. Slight lace. An average looking brew.

Brew smells very malty, chocolate, caramel. Some sligth hops, dark fruits. Smells very tasty.

The brew is smooth and creamy. Malts, sweet caramel, slight hop and the dark fruit. Can almost pick up chocolate. Has a very good slight dry finish.

This is a very good scotch ale. Has all the malts you would want for the style, completed by a great mouthfeel and drinkability. Very impressive stuff. Would love to session this brew even with its high alcohol level.

magine, May 29, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -5%

Poured into a Chimay Glass.

A - Pours pretty black with just a little light shining through with a half an inch of beige head.

S - Big time roasted malts, licorice, and slight molasses.

T - Similar to the smell, I get roasted malts, licorice, molasses, and also some hops. Definitely some deep flavors here.

M - Nice blend of creaminess and oiliness.

D - This is definitely good, didn't have huge expectations for this, but defintely a winning, good scotch ale.

semibaked, May 27, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

I love TenFIDY, but never imagined that Oskar Blues could up the stakes with another of their great beers. Poured into a McChouffe chalice.

Pours a dark brown with a ruby hue - very much like a belgian strong dark ale (I see lots of similarities between these styles). Head is off white, and settles nicely from 2cm to patching with excellent lacing throughout. Nose is sugary sweet, with a slight chocolate to it.

I love the way this beer tastes - brown sugar, chocolate, a little dark fruit, exceptionally smooth. Body is full, but so smooth you never notice a hint of the alcohol. Strong maltiness to it, with just the slightest bit of smokiness. This beer is great with dinner, dessert, and strong cheese in my opinion.

Jesstyr, May 26, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks to caninedevotion for this one! Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A - Chestnut brown; darker than I expected for a Scottish ale. Light tan head that quickly falls and leaves a ring at the edge of the glass. Pretty, but looks more like a brown ale than a Scottish ale.

S - Thick, rich caramel aroma. Light spicy, herbal hops. Mild chocolate and toffee. As it warms, light sherry aroma peeks through signaling the alcohol content.

T - Rich chocolate and bready, biscuty malt. A glorious malt bomb of a beer. Clean yeast character with just enough hops to keep the malt in check. Mild hop bitterness lingers after imbibing. I check the can several times to make sure this is really an 8% beer since the alcohol is very well hidden. Slight warming isn't evident until about half way through the glass.

M - Thick body with a stronger carbonation than I expected for a Scottish ale. Generally the low carbonation of a Scottish ale makes it smoother and easier drinking, but I think for this beer it helps clear the palate and keeps the beer from being cloying.

D - Quite different than any Scottish ale I've had before and a very nice surprise. This beer is dangerously drinkable for an 8% beer. A great beer to remind you that a beer doesn't have to be packed with hops to be a winner. First beer I ever had from Oskar Blues, and I'm eager to have more.

bevenson, May 26, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -13%

Old Chub comes to me in a pint glass a chill-hazed dark maroon with almost no head, though I think that's more a result of how the bartender poured it. Effervescent bubbles rise quickly to the roof.

The aroma is far more subtle than I'd like. I can barely notice anything, but I do pick up some brown sugar and cola sweetness.

This thing is sweet and bubbly -- one step above soda, really. The comparison is fitting, because this almost tastes like I'm drinking Dr. Pepper. Some notes of cinnamon, brown sugar and bubble gum peek out amongst it all.

Feels smooth over then tongue, with a nice medium body.

Old Chub had been calling my name for a while, but I have to admit I was slightly underwhelmed. It was good, but definitely won't rank among my top Scottish ales.

Phelps, May 25, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -4.3%

a - pours dark brown, like a cola. some head, but it dies off immediately

s - dark fruit, cherry/raisin. huge malts. caramel.

t - sweet caramel. mellow malt flavor. some booze, but not much. dark fruits as in the nose. if anything, its too sweet and lacks a peat smoke or subtle hop flavor to balance some of the sweetness.

m - great mouthfeel! just how I like scotch ale - thick, chewy, and low carbonation.

o - Can't say its my favorite scotch ale, but I do like it and would drink it again.

levifunk, May 22, 2010