Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-13-2003

From the Oskar Blues website: "This jaw-dropping Scottish strong ale (8% ABV) is brewed with bodacious amounts of malted barley and specialty grains, and a dash of beechwood-smoked malt."
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,473 | Reviews: 1,554
4.05/5  rDev +1%

Acquired from a relative of my wife's who knows I dig good beer - thanks, Mike!

Big pour with a full inch of head to begin, which slowly recedes and clings to form a solidly creamy cap to this deep ruby brown beer. And the more you drink, the more attractive it becomes because of the trailing beer rings.

Some malts and a bit of pine on the nose, but I'm not getting as much as I think I should - it seems like there should be something more.

Deceptively tasty, with subtle malts and a slow burn of hops - hints of dark fruits and caramel. It's pretty simple, really, balancing the overall flavor profile very well.

It kind of creeps up on you like novacaine at the dentist's - not completely revealed until up to a minute after the first drink. And it hangs on for an eternity - years later, it's still with you.

Highly drinkable, even though it's not my favorite style - I'd really love to enjoy this one on tap.

I love me some Old Chub.

Color is similar to that of a Belgian dubbel and there's a similar fruity malt sweetness aroma going on here. Head retention is surprisingly high for a canned beer. This is just a malt monster...chewy, bready, some alcohol soaked fruit flavors, most prominently cherry. Some brandy characteristics. It has a very well developed malt character. No balance here at all. This is for malts what WCDIPAs are for hops. Killer.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Out of the can, this beer appears dark brown with red highlights. The initial head calms to a very light layer on the surface. Wow, the scent reminds me of a barrel aged beer, even though this is not. Lots of sweet malts, vanilla, chocolate, smoke, wood, and even leather in the nose. No hops that I can detect. The flavor is a recap of the aroma with plenty of bourbon vanilla and wood. Some nuttiness. What is the difference between scotch ale and scotch-style ale? All I know is that this one reigns supreme. Superb value to boot!

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

I was so excited to find a six pack of this at Wegman's in Lakewood, NY 8 29 09 after having Ten Fidy and loving it. Consumed at my brother's house near Chautaqua Institute just down the road. Six pack was priced at just under $10.

A Great deep ruby red translucent creamy one inch head very appropriate to the style. 4.0

S Medium roast malt, very little hops to the nose. 4.5

T Nice smooth scotch ale, appropriate to the style but not very complex. Just straight up medium roast malt but done in a very nice way. 4.0

M Medium with some smoothness. Appropriate to the style. 4.0

D Great, as I was able to finish this without too much problem. 4.5

Notes: I enjoyed finding this and drinking it from a can, which I believe more craft beers should be presented in.

3.92/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Dark brown. Mahogany shows through against the light. Head vanishes almost immediately.

S: Sour malt, black-currant, plum and some bitter molasses.

T: Hint of whiskey accompanied by a toffee, coffee and smokey molasses. The fruit of black-currant and prune kicks in toward the finish and takes you into the aftertaste. The alcohol burn shows itself again in the aftertaste.

M: Light side of medium body. Light, delicate carbonation. Fairly thin and light drink overall.

D: I liked the sweet tangy fruit play with roasty toffee type flavors and then a bit of whiskey alcohol. I thought it was well done. I am not a huge fan of this style but this brew was enjoyable. I really need to drink this style in the winter time to get into the spirit of it.

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%

First off, it has that nice roasted barley color that reminds me of a mix between motor oil and dark hot chocolate. The best color comparison, outside of the Scottish ales, is an old brown lager. If you had a miniature secchi disk you might be able to lower it a few inches into a vat with out it disappearing, but I doubt it. The foam itself is nice an thick, though the carbonation is low and I didn't get too much head from my pour.

The smell is slightly nutty, Malty, perhaps some toffee with a hint of the strength of this beer right at the end.

The taste is much like the smell. The malt flavors are the main attraction, I could see how one might taste more than I but the the toasty, nutty and maybe some toffee and coffee and black tea flavors are present (with the strength of those favors in respective order). These flavors may be crystal or chocolate malts. I can't detect much hops, if any, and it is certainly more sweet than bitter. As with the nose I can sense that this beer is strong with the last bit of flavor, however, this is not overwhelming and serves as a nice reminder.

Surprisingly light on the tongue for its thickness. It is almost like tea with a bit of milk in it. I would say the carbonation is perfect, as it gives just a gentle tingle but does not bombard the mouth.

Overall this beer is wonderful and for the price it can't be beat. Goes great with Chocolate Cake!!

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Pours dark & opaque, with only tinges of reddish-brown when held to light. Thick, fluffy tan head.
Lots of caramel malt sweetness to the nose with a light floral hop note.
Tastes just like freshly-made caramel candy apples. Sweet, rich caramel malt with the apparent yeast esters backed by a solid, underlying hop character. Very rich and very nice.
Body is extremely smooth; while carbonated, it is not at all bubbly. Drinks like a nitro-carbonated drink, only not as thin.
Extremely drinkable; possibly the best scottish ale I've tasted. I wish we could get it in Ohio.

3.97/5  rDev -1%

I will start by saying Old Chub is the 3rd Oskar Blues beer i've had, behind ten fidy and Dale's, and this is my favorite thus far.

Opening the can yields nary a "crack" from carbonation. An aggresive pour leads to a decent 1 finger head. I have always thought Oskar Blues beers were slightly under carbonated...especially Dale's. However, this is not much of an issue with a beer like this.

Appearance is a very dark ruby color and the initially smell is OVERWHELMING malt...so much malty goodness. Can't wait to dive in.

The first sip hits me hard. I can feel it behind my eyeballs. Wow. So...much...malt. Sugar overload! I wonder if i could get a torch and char the top creme brulee-style. However, this is by no means a bad thing...oh no. Definitely one of the better Scottish ales and my favorite Oskae Blues so far hands down.

Hold on...the wife just made some peach cobbler.

Ok, I'm back. Another sip, and my palate is crushed. White flag is waiving. Some outstanding Old Chub and some EPIC sugarfest known as peach cobbler. DONE.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Ok, I for one miss McEwans, a scotch ale that will always be the benchmark for all scotch ales to be judged against. Old Chubb is the closest you'll come to find that McEwan's spiciness and alcohol tang. Smoky and syrup sweet, very malty. Wonderful taste. Nice body too. Here's a tip too, if you like a nice head you must this one directly down the center of the glass. Oskar Blues has had some issues with me in the past, but they've out done themselves in customer service! Recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz can poured into a Raccoon Red pint glass

A - pours dark brown with one finger of foam that takes several minutes to settle. Lacing is copious.

S - Sweet malty smell, but no burnt or roasted aromas.

T - This beer is to malt as Stone Ruination is to hops. Just a total explosion of malt. I pick up plum, raisin, it reminds me of malt extract used in homebrewing.

M - Viscous and filling, carbonation struggles to poke through. Slick and creamy on the tongue.

D - very easy drinking for 8%, not a hint of boozy flavor. Too sweet to have more than one or two, but a real treat to drink

To me, this is the pinnacle of a Scottish Style ale. Highly recommend.

Reviewed on 8/12/09 solo,

Appearance: Deep dark brown with little head

Smell: Roasted malts and hops

Taste: Open alcoholic and sweet. Earthy hops kick in from the middle to the finish leaving a hoppy aftertaste the grows on you.

Mouthfeel: light to medium bodied with a lingering aftertaste

Drinkability: I would definitely have another if it was less sweet on the opening

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a Chimay chalice...

A-Deep dark cola with ruby highlights when held to light. Creamy tan head that settles rapidly but laces nicely.

S-Whiskey, cola, cherry, chocolate, coconut, wow...this is interesting....

T-Damn this beer is good....carmelized brown sugar, cola, whiskey, cherry, dark fruits...coffee, molasses, and somewhere in there the hops kick in. Some might say it is too sweet, but what an example of the style. Kicks ass on skullsplitter any day of the week....!

M-Excellent carbonation and mouthfeel for the style.

D-Awesome....the best beer I have ever had in a can...period...

(but don't drink it out of the can..it is too pretty)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I'm not going to go into great length here as most of what I'm gonna say has already been said. This is the best Scottish Ale I've had in a long time. I put off buying this as I was a bit apprehensive but I think I've found my new go to sweet malty beer. The appearance is darker than most of it's kind and it has a great malty sweet smell. The flavor is of malt and sweet brown sugar. It has a great mouthfeel for it's style with just thre right amount of carbonation. The 8% really creeps up on you but I could see myself drinking 2 or 3 of these in a night. The only thing keeping me from giving it all 5s was the fact that it was a bit one dimensional.

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

Sampled in a Tulip.

Poured like a flat cola.

Quickly diminishing head. no lace. Thin body to sight. Looks puney.

Smell is awesome. Vanilla, coconut, candy sugar, slight bubble gum, smokey. Booze is evident but not overpowering.

Taste is silky. Lighter than I expected but very welcoming. I get a sweet candy malt upfront with a smokey vanilla and a slight rum inspired finish. You can taste the alcohol but its not enough to be concearned about.

I could easily tear through a 6 pack of this beer. With a lighter body this beer could easily turn from a sipper to a chugger. Be careful and respect this brew. This beer met my expectations and I will absolutely be back for more. In fact, I think im going to grab another one right now.... I like the whole "can" concept. I cant wait to try the Ten Fiddy...

3.97/5  rDev -1%

Presentation: 12oz can poured into a mug.

Appearance: Head on the smaller side, dissipates quickly into hardly lacing. Dark ruby red, but clear.

Smell: Bourbon, whiskey, caramel, chocolate, leather & wood.

Taste: Wood, caramel, chocolate, extremely dark malt, coffee. For a higher alcohol content

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, goes in the mouth like juice, medium body.

Drinkability: A darker sessionable beer. I'll say that, its not astringent nor intense. Perhaps not what I'd cool off on a hot day but a drinkable dark beer minus the higher alcohol content. I don't know if I'd buy it again due to the price but its cool that its in can.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

This beer pours a really nice deep reddish brown, with a small 1/2i inch layer of head that dissipates quickly. Can was stamped on the bottom as canned in January 2009, so about 6 1/2 months old.

Smell and taste are pretty complex here. Overall pretty sweet smelling and tasting - I picked up some chocolates and a roasted grain flavor. There is a nice smoke flavor as well. It doesn't dominate, but kind of glides in at the end. The alcohol is there in the smell and taste, but mostly in the finish. It isn't distracting, and is only detectable as a warming agent. It compliments the other flavors nicely. I also felt the alcohol pretty quickly. No hop presence to speak of; this one's malt all the way!

Old Chub was a very nice beer to sip on with some chocolate and pretzels. Once again I feel like I need to include that I had this from the can and there was no metallic taste/smell at all. As I did when I tried Dale's Pale Ale from the can for the first time yesterday, I smelled the can after I poured the beer and still didn't pick up any metal. I'm certain that the "metallic" taste in canned beer is either a complete myth or applies to breweries of lower standards than Oskar Blues.

Another winner from Oskar Blues. I haven't had too many Scottish Ales so I can't do much comparing, but as another excellent edition to Oskar Blues' lineup, this makes me eager to try more from them.

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a syrupy deep brown with one finger head that quickly shrinks to a ring around the glass. Tinge of lacing.

Immediate smell reminds me of coconut ice cream. Just sweet and creamy.

Very complex and a bit boozy. Sweet caramel roasted malt, a bit peaty, some scotch coming through in the middle, nice hop presence. Some smokey notes as well.

Smooth, heavier side of medium bodied. Slight silky feel.

This is a drinkable beer for this ABV. Not overly smokey or boozy for the style which helps it. All of Oskar Blues beers that I have had, contain this really sweet maltiness that I really dig. Another solid, well done beer from OB.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Oskar Blues Old Chub
12 oz can
Served in a Great Lakes Brewing 20 oz glass

Pours a light brown color, reminding me a flat Coca Cola soda. A thin, mini tan colored head circles the glass.

Strong whiffs of malt and more malt. Hints of a Snickers candy bar with its chocolate aroma in the background.

What a serious malt backbone we have here! Juicy sweet flavors of milk chocolate and caramel swirl. Some smokey flavors in there too. Finishes with a chocolate syrup and dark cherry kick and hoppy snap finish.

Great beer - very pleased. Not to the mention the very well hidden 8.0% ABV.

3.74/5  rDev -6.7%

A - Pours a deep, dark, brownish-red cloudy color. 1cm head dissolves to nada in about a min. looks and pours thick.

S - wow. great nose. chocolate, cherry, raisin, assorted fruit, floral, alcohol is in there (but not offensive), plumb, and prune. Very pleasant nose on this guy. quite inviting!

T&M - It's full bodied, thick and syrupy. Mod carbonation. Chocolate, cherry, assorted fruit, plumb, prune, raisin. really sweet. big candy-chocolate and cherry aftertaste. huge malt, with mild hops. there is some coffee, and molasses floating around in there as well. interestingly enough, i got some peach on the burp. One thing missing from this brew is the smoky, peat flavor. it's so faint, that it's overpowered by all the sweet flavors.

D - Quite drinkable at cooler temps. as it warms, it gets a bit too sweet for my liking. nonetheless, full flavored and full bodied. great composition, and a solid brew. One is enough for me, but I'll probably have it again someday...

(actually goes good with BBQ chicken!)

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

12 ounce can poured into a Great Lakes Christmas Ale glass.

Pour a very dark, reddish-brown color. With an aggressive pour, the head forms nicely, and has slowly fallen to less than half a finger, but is sticking to the sides of the glass quite nicely.

Smells of pine, cedar chips, cinnamon, cherries, brown sugar, tart apples...very little hop character in the aroma...

Man, this beer is so smooth and silky. Tastes of cedar, cinnamon, clove, sugar. There is a slight hint of alcohol here, but not too present...especially for eight percent. There are some chocolaty notes, some vanilla, and for some reason I keep thinking cedar chips.

Overall, this is an excellent beer...and in a can! It tastes great, goes down easy, and is incredibly drinkable.

4.52/5  rDev +12.7%

A- Extremely dark chocolate/caramel color
S- Gorgeous smell out of can and glass. Very sweet, syrupy, candy smell with some meatyness (like breakfast sausages in maple syrup)
T- Extremely rich, sweet to start (syrup/brown sugar) then malty with a clean sweet aftertaste. 8% ABV is masked well.
M- Smooth and thick, stays on your tongue (in a good way)
D- Takes a while to drink (must sip), but very enjoyable throughout.

4.13/5  rDev +3%

Old Chub is a very, very good ale. I was actually surprised by just how good. I got this in a dive, as recommended by the bartender (a friend of mine), and it was truly one of those beers I didn't see coming.

The beer pours very dark reddish-brown. In the darkness of the bar, it almost looked like a stout. Head was minimal and dissipated quickly, but left some lacing on the glass. Upon closer inspection the beer is nothing like a stout, it's just that dark.

The smell is sweet and very malty (chocolate, caramel) with a bit of fruit. It more or less tastes like it smells, sweet and malty, with some hops (not a lot, but enough that you can tell they're there). It's a smooth, malty and satisfying brew. Goes down smooth, and if you can describe a beer's mouthfeel as "creamy," that adjective definitely applies to the Old Chub.

One final note is that this really didn't seem like it had as much alcohol in it as it does (8%). It's really not at all detectible. This one also sits a bit heavy on you, so it's definitely one to take your time enjoying.

Thanks to Smitty on this one, and the Scottish Chub Bomb (think an Irish Car Bomb using Old Chub instead of Guinness).

3.85/5  rDev -4%

A- Pours with almost no head, and a beautiful dark mahogany color... almost opaque (not cloudy- just dark).

S- Tawny on the nose, with some hints of dark fruit and Scottish yeast.

T- Very malty- candy sugar, dates, and Scottish yeast, followed by an alcohol burn. Hops are almost transparent.

M- Full bodied and creamy.

D- While this beer is wonderful, I think I couldn't get past two cans in one sitting... its just too rich.

4.27/5  rDev +6.5%

Can, into chalice (from notes).

Pours dark brown, not quite opaque, with a very thin tan head and reddish-brown highlights around the edges.

Nose is carmel, a bit of roast malt, full of dark cocoa sweetness with a toasted quality.

Taste is sweet chocolate malt, caramel, rich, with a faint roasty dryness on the finish. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is very lightly carbonated, smooth and creamy without being overly heavy.

Drinkability is actually pretty good for the style. balanced and rich.

This beer was stunningly good with a homemade dark-chocolate icing donut.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

A: Dark brown with red highlights. Quickly disapearing head with no lacing.

S: Carmel malts with a boozy note.

T: very sweet carmel malts with a boozy tail. Not too complex.

M: Light/Medium bodied. Suprisingly smooth - Not as thick, coating and sticky as others ive had in the style.

D: the sweet and boozy strong points are counterpointed by the almost too smooth texture

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew