Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-13-2003

From the Oskar Blues website: "This jaw-dropping Scottish strong ale (8% ABV) is brewed with bodacious amounts of malted barley and specialty grains, and a dash of beechwood-smoked malt."
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,554 | Hads: 4,693
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

This is one of my favorite scotch ales, pours a dark dark brown, almost black. With a creamy white head with a little bit of lacing. Tastes like it should, scotch hinted ale. Good stuff! (186 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce can poured into a standard hourglass glass.

Very dark brown color with some hints of red. Smell is a combo of chocolate and a hint of coffee. Taste is much more coffee and caramel with minimal hop bitterness. The malts eliminate all heat that you might expect at this ABV level. The mouthfeel is rich and the moderate carbonation level makes this almost too easy to drink.

Overall this is a excellent beer but at 8% ABV this is no session beer and needs to be treated with the utmost respect. (507 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +2.3%

12oz can into a pint glass. Canned in January 2014. Was a bit concerned when I saw this.......

deep reddish amber with a decentt off white head. Not a whole lot of carbonation that I could detect, but head maintained. Lacing was decent.

Aha, the aroma here is very nice, sweet malts with a hint of scotch whisky. Taste follows that up, nice and sweet, nice and subtle on the booziness, Enjoying this one already.

Very soothing and roll around the mouth on the finish. Love me a good Wee Heavy that doesn't just punch you in the mouth. Will happily grab a six pack next time I see it. (588 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

Deep brown pour. Delicious beer. I really liked the nitro version of this beer. This one holds its own for sure. Malty and rich. Great beer. Man I love this one. Sweet and warm if that makes any sense at all. (208 characters)

4/5  rDev 0%

Poured from the growler.
A personal favorite. This scotch ale pours a mahogany brown with tinges of red and a light
thin tan head. Nose of caramel, light coffee, light smoky malt, and high alcohol content. The
flavors are sweet up front, silky smooth mouthfeel, caramel and light chocolaty coffee on the
back. Also at the end is a light smokiness and a thick warming high alcohol presence to make
this one of the better scotch ales on the market. Strong and assertive it is to be reckoned with.

Cheers (507 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -10%

Wow, I was not expecting this beer to punch me in the face, but it did! I should have read the 8% ABV on the can before buying it, since I usually like my Scotch ales a little lighter. But it's a tasty beer, though I think it might be a little better if it was in fact lighter. The alcohol kind of overwhelmed this one. The sweetness and alcohol content combine to make this an intense, heavy beer. (402 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Don't let the can turn you off. The first time I had it I drank it straight out of the can and didn't think much of it. Recently I had it out of a glass and it made a huge difference. Very smooth with a clean finish. (218 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a dark mahogany color with a fair bit of head that quickly dissipates. Sweet aroma. Tastes sweet and inviting with notes of brown sugar, candied fruits and carmel. Very pleasant on a crisp night. (202 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a nice mahogany red, with a cream head that dissipates quickly. Persistent lacing.
Smell is a candied malt, a little like molasses, with its darker flavors.
Taste follows the smell and adds alcohol and hops. I was surprised how hoppy this was for a scotch ale (but not that surprised from Oskar Blues). I think that is the secret for this beer, enough hop bitterness to keep those sweet malts in balance.
Overall a really nice scotch ale, certainly an American take on the style. (489 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

Canned 6/12/14

Pours dark coffee color brown with a bit of ruby red tint. One finger head dissipates quickly.

Smells of a little booze, toffee, and a bit of licorice.

Taste is dark malts with toffee and licorice. Same as the smell indicates. A little caramel sweetness and more bitter hops than I expected. Some brown sugar rounds out the sweet malts. All flavors blending together and nothing dominates. Bitterness fades into more sweetness halfway thru.

Moderate carbonation, sticky, and syrupy. Thick.

Pretty good scotch ale. One of the few I've had. nice malty brew. (583 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

A: Pours a dark brown with ruby hues. Decent-sized beige head comes up, looking very inviting.

S: Very malty and caramel, somewhat earthy. Very good.

T: Caramel predominates, but only somewhat sweet. The flavor is incredibly malty, with little hop effect. There is also some vanilla and maybe toffee and butterscotch. A very good flavor.

M: A little springy from the carbonation, but smooth.

O: A very great beer, and a solid example of the Wee Heavy style. Something of a staple for me. I always want to make sure there's some Old Chub in my fridge or supplies. (566 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of a can into one of my tulip glasses. This beer pours a clear, dark amber/copper color with some deep ruby highlights when held up to the light. Color reminds me of coca cola or something like that. The slightly tan, creamy looking head is about 1/2 to 2/3 of an inch thick when first poured. Eventually settles to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass along with a decent surface film layer of foam on the beer's surface. Decent lacing but not great. Aromas of caramel, toffee, and some dark fruit notes of plum, raisin, figs, and perhaps some apple. Has a good, sweet, slightly smokey, caramel malt flavor upfront that gives way to a hint of peppery spice and then to the aforementioned dark fruit flavors that is all rounded out with the toffee. No discernible hop presence here whatsoever. Has a, slightly crisp, and mostly smooth, creamy, frothy, slightly chewy and syrupy, medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Has a pretty sweet aftertaste and a dry finish. Easy to drink in a most excellent manner. Well worth a try!

Eric (1,074 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I had this on a nitro tap at a whole foods. I am quite a fan of the Scotch ale/Wee heavy style in general having had a particular opportunity to try a good few on a recent trip to Edinburgh and this one was just about everything I want in one. It was malty, creamy, had a little bit of that whisky flavor, and all in all a great dark beer in general and a wonderful Scotch ale. The nitro tap was also hug in bringing out the creamy and almost dessert-like qualities in this beer which were outstanding to begin with. Coupled with the consistency of a nitro pour (almost like a milkshake) this made for an amazing overall experience. (632 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +0.2%

Old Chub pours a brownish color with a nice white lacing head. There is a earthy aroma, with smokey peaty malt notes. The taste has smokey peaty malt flavors, and some earthy tones, brown sugar notes. Great body, and very smooth and easy to drink. Overall its a top notch scottish ale. (285 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice, thick, 2 1/2 finger head of thick, tan foam. Retention is very good, and the head leaves scattered lines of lacing down the glass. Brew is a dark, reddish-brown, translucent on the edges.

Aroma is subtle, with thick hints of grains and fruit, caramel and toffee.

Brew is intensely sweet and malty, with a noticeable alcohol component to the flavor, and a tiny bit of smokiness on the back-end. All the malt flavors present on the nose are also present in the flavor: it's dominated by caramel and toffee. A little green grass sneaks in. Could use a little more bite for balance.

Medium-thick feel, slick and slightly syrupy. Very sweet aftertaste. Relatively short sugary finish.

This is a tasty ale, and potent, strong, and bold. If you want a smooth, strong, and very sweet - malt-dominated - brew, this is a good option. The nitro (especially on tap) is a fantastic choice. (894 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep clear ruby brown with a thinner creamy tan head, lingering on around the circumference. The aroma is rich malt, deep with notes dark fruit and rich earth. The taste is complex deep malt flavors, with more dark fruit, burnt sugar, and earthy notes. It has a nice silky mouthfeel and weight. A great Scotch ale. (322 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great daily drinker, but also goes great paired with a spicy Thai or Indian dish (at least for my palate). Not the most prolific example of the Scotch Ale genre you will find, but an extremely tasty, well-crafted brew, especially at this reasonable of a price point. (266 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -3.3%

I wanted to like this beer, but my initial reactions were not positive at all. I gave it a 2.50 rating within the first two minutes. Obviously I deleted that rating. I'm somewhat new to the craft beer scene, and I found the taste syrupy and bitter and kinda gross. But as I approached the bottom, I started to warm up to it and the beer seemed to settled down. I don't think it was simply the alcohol taking effect and me growing acclimated to the new taste, though I'm sure that played a part. But the beer seem to change consistency midway through. I found it quite good at the end. I definitely want to try again (615 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +17%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

For a Scotch ale, this is the perfect apperance. Dark reddish brown, big fluffy head, extreme lacing, etc. Great color. Not that appearance matters anyway!

Smell is sweet, caramelly, fruity, incredible rich malts. I do love Scotch ales already but this is one of the better smelling ones that I've had. There is a bit of alcohol on the nose.

Taste: YUUU what wild depths of flavor! Entry is somewhat sharp, "mid-palate" is super sweet, finish is just bitter enough. There's an incredible blend of dried fruit and caramel flavors that is absolutely wonderful. It's rich and complex, but not so sweet and heavy that it becomes too much at any point. The 8% ABV is really not detectable at all. Incredibly well balanced while hitting all the right notes for a classic Scotch ale. I'm a little irritate that I never tried this before.

Mouth feel is just right. Carbonation level is moderate, the body itself is heavy and sticky but not overbearing, yet still large and in charge. Some beers are insecure and feel the need to tell everyone how strong they are; this one is confident but restrained. Okay that was stupid, but hopefully you know what I mean.

Overall this is a waaaayyyy better beer than I expected. I shouldn't be surprised considering how much I love Ten Fidy. It's just that most of the discussion I've seen was about either that or Dale's Pale Ale and the latter is sort of panned, so I thought Ten Fidy was maybe a one-hit wonder sort of thing. That was not the case and I will now try any Oskar Blues beers I can find. I can't believe this is year-round and less than $10 a six pack! I'm also glad I got this with regular carbonation because I really don't care for nitro at all. Just tastes flat to me. (1,725 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +1%

Pours a dark reddish brown with moderate tan head that thins and laces. The aromas are of walnut, green sappy wood, & fruity pear. Sweet flavours follow the nose, but drying with addition of some smokiness, and caramel. Mouthfeel is smooth, followed by roasty wood notes in the finish. Nicely done. (298 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Re-evaluated not what it once was....

Easily one of the best canned beers I've ever had. (2005)

Great dark brown/red color that lets an intense light show great clarity. Big fluffy tan head that retains all the way down the glass.

Impressive smell of raisins, nuts choclate & rum (makes me think of the holidays.

Thick malty sweetness and faint hops bitterness entagle themselves from the front of the tounge to back of the throat with a omnipresent sweetish yet balanced aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thick and chewy. Carbination ain't quite there.

Heavyness which gives all the flavor only detracts from the drinkablity in minute amounts. (642 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +0.5%

Had on tap in a pint glass.

Pours a clear reddish-brown with a smallish light tan head. Average head retention

Aroma has strong notes of caramel, smoke and toffee. It is perfectly to the style of Scottish Ale. The smoke really makes this aroma in my opinion.

The flavor has strong toffee and burnt caramel notes along with more of the smoke that is present in the aroma. Bitterness is on the moderate side but it is enough to balance out the sweetness from the abundant malt.

Overall, a very nice beer that is quite drinkable for the strength. I’m not a huge fan of the style but this is one of my favorites. (618 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Can poured into a Sam Adams glass

Thin taupe creamy layer, no foam, no lacings. Dark mahogany, some bubbles.

Aroma of sweet roasted malt , raisins, alcohol.

Taste of malt, slight raisin, slight fig.

Slight carbonation , heavy mouthfeel, alcohol present.

Good malty taste, typical strong scotch ale, good beer. (317 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +1%

A - nice clarity, deep ruby red to dark copper throughout. About 1 in of cocoa color head, tight bubbles. Lasted for about 1 min then shrunk to almost nothing.

S - starts off with a strong aroma of freshly made bread. Very comforting. Picked up some sense of yeast in the background. As the head subsided, so did the intensity of the bread. After that, picked up a more balanced aroma of bread and malt.

T - deep, rich malt and dark stone fruits, a bit of residual sweetness on the back end. When I aspirated through the mouth, got a bit of fusels. Not sure what that was about as I didn't even get a hint of warming when drinking it normally. Not much complexity, but that was good.

M - full bodied, but not overwhelming or lingering. Similar in body to a dark roasted coffee.

O - a very nice evening beer to relax with, but not quite a fireside beer. A beer that I would limit to 1, maybe 2 to a sitting, because of its richness. Highly recommend letting the beer warm to cellar temp before drinking. (1,007 characters)

This beer was ok, it was not as strong as I thought that it would be. It is a really dark beer, almost black. It does not have a very strong scent to it, almost like their is no scent to it at all. It could just be me but I did not notice that much of a scent. It is a smooth beer for a dark beer. The taste was ok not my favorite but it was ok. (345 characters)

Old Chub - Scottish Style Ale from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew