Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
4.64/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

12oz. can poured into imperial pint glass.

A: Pardon my language, but HOLY SHIT this beer is DARK. There's no color, no light shining through during the iPhone flashlight test, and absolutely no highlights either. What. The. Hell. This brew is scary! A moderately vigorous pour results in a monstrous light brown head that's dense and creamy and takes ages to deflate. Leaves tons of lacing in its wake.

S: Delectably rich semi-sweet chocolate syrup and roasted malts up front create a boisterous and powerful aroma. A little bit of roasted coffee and Earthy hops come through as well. One of the most delightful aromas I've experienced.

T: This is unbelievable... These flavors are off the charts. HUGE waves of rich, decadent chocolate. Those Earthy hops creep in that add just enough bitterness to offset the chocolatey sweetness. The middle offers a few molasses-like notes, but primarily consist of the initial chocolate hop medley. It's all beginning to feel a little too sweet, but then... the finish offers a wonderful deviation from the candied bliss and transitions to an absolutely phenomenal freshly-ground roasted coffee. Bliss. Pure Bliss.

M: The body is full, and it might actually be more accurate to describe it as huge. The closest thing to a flaw I can find here is that it's not as creamy and rich as I had hoped and the carbonation is just a hair above my comfort level in a RIS, but even still, I can't drop it below "outstanding." Oskar Blues just knows what they're doing.

O: I'm having a hard time processing my thoughts into words right now... I've always held Stone's offering of this style in the highest regard, but I think it has been replaced. I don't know what the folks down at Oskar Blues are doing, but they're doing it right. Every aspect of this brew is so powerful and each flavor is so intense that it borders unbearable, but then it transitions into something new and it just all adds up to a divine experience. I'm simply in awe right now, and slightly sad that I've taken the last sip whilst typing my conclusion... If you haven't had this yet, stop what you're doing right now and buy it.

ThePaintedGrey, Jul 18, 2014
4.79/5  rDev +9.4%

12 oz can poured into tulip glass

A: darkness pure and simple mocha head it laces and clings on the glass

S: licorice roasted malts maybe some alcohol

T: deep robust roast, silky chocolate, licorice, a little coffee, nutty sweet on the tongue big satisfying aftertaste

M: creamy luscious on the mouth just coats and clings even after it is gone it just lays on your tongue

O: Amazing its deep complex layered and the mouthfeel goes and goes it's everything a stout should be and it's in a can. WTF are you reading this for buy it now price be damned

SomethingClever, 9 minutes ago

chillwave22, Today at 12:13 AM

Wiz99, Yesterday at 06:55 PM
3.25/5  rDev -25.8%

12oz can poured into my sniffer
A-Dark with very faint head
S-Maybe some roasted malt with chocolate. Not much else.
T-Getting faint chocolate and some coffee. About it. Got a nice buzz quickly from just one can.
M-low carbonation, heavy body
O-The can didn't provide a date. Not getting much in the flavor department that other people have described. To me this beer was just 'meh'. If I'm in the mood for a stout this won't be my first choice.

Big_V, Yesterday at 03:15 PM
4.25/5  rDev -3%

jyacco15, Yesterday at 01:15 PM
4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

A - Pours midnight black with a wonderful thick brown foamy head.
S - Aroma is of roasted coffee and chocolate.
T - I taste bitter or burnt chocolate.
M - Not as chewy as I expected, more medium body.
O - This is an outstanding Imperial Stout, can't think of one better.

spacecake9, Yesterday at 01:09 AM

Feelmebone, Thursday at 06:34 PM

therackman, Thursday at 02:22 AM
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Purchased at Champagne's in Warren MI for $14.00 for a 4pk. Served at 12deg C for the first half the can in a tulip

A- Unbelievable. This thing is like a friggin black hole. I went to a bright light and not a lick of penetration even at the edge of glass to light bulb. Amazingly dark. Nice dark head that looks chocolaty brown and a touch red.

S- Excellent. Super roasted and chocolaty good.

T- Excellent. Super nice burnt nutty chocolate flavours. Enjoyable to the max. Nice hop bite. A touch hot

M- A bit canny. Yuk. Other than that pretty good. I touch chalky afterwards.

O- Very good. Happy I bought them. Will buy again if I get a chance, they are worth it.

Food Pairing

This fantastic stout went well with...... Braised Beef Short Ribs in a lovely tomato sauce.

Enjoy

DaveBar, Thursday at 01:03 AM

Monster

Magbas, Wednesday at 09:33 PM
4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

a77cj7, Wednesday at 08:34 AM
3.75/5  rDev -14.4%

I saw the rating for this beer, I found it at my local beer shop, and had to buy it. I poured it into a tall glass to see it in all of its glory.

First lets go with the things I respect with this beer. This brew is inky black and the lacing on it is beautiful. It has a high 10.5% ABV also. That's where I have to stop. I respect what they are trying to do with this beer but I just can't appreciate it. Unfortunately I still have taste buds.

The negatives:
Smells like an IPA with roasted characteristics
Tastes like an IPA with dark characteristics (cocoa and some malt)
HIGH amount of hops and bitters. I just googled its IBU rating and its a 95!!! Holy crap, that's higher than some of the most bitter IPAs I've ever had.
$15 for a 4 pack.

I just can't appreciate bitter beers. I just don't like to consume bitter things. I had high hopes for this but I'm let down. Its one of those "America, F ya!!" sort of beers. Where they just put as much hops as possible just because its the American thing to do.

If I want a dark chocolate beer I'll just stick with my girly Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate stout. :) I had no idea that this beer was going to be this bitter (95 IBU!!), I would have never paid 15 dollars for a 4 pack if I had known. I need to grown a thick beard and ride a unicycle before I can enjoy this level of manliness.;

Fear4Beer, Wednesday at 05:29 AM