Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. It is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops.
Reviews: 2,437 | Hads: 9,088
Reviews by Mongrel:
4.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours inky, sludgy, old motor oil thick and nearly black, with a dense, thoroughly brown finger of head. The luscious head recedes to a thick film after a minute or two, but leaves nice lacing. Actually extremely impressive lace retention for a stout of this size.

The nose isn't particularly powerful - subtle whiffs of dark chocolate, roasted grains, green raisins and dark fruit. I'm noticing as I type and sip that these become a little more apparent as the beer warms.

Taste is simply everything you could want from a big imperial stout. Inky, concentrated chocolate, espresso and licorice flavors. Chalky mocha, roasted barley, a touch of plum... deeply satisfying.

Rich and intriguing mouthfeel. Big and full to be sure - soft, chalky and dry one moment, then a little slick and syrupy. It's tough to pin down, but I like that.

Overall, a really well-rounded stout, deeply imbued with those bitter-sweet flavors we love. Alcohol is almost nowhere to be found. Only in a slight, lingering cool after-vapor is it maybe perceptible. Very impressive for a 10.5% brew. This one might have just dethroned Expedition as my favorite non-barrel-aged stout, and even gives BCBS a good run for its money.

4.63/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

12oz. can poured into imperial pint glass.

A: Pardon my language, but HOLY SHIT this beer is DARK. There's no color, no light shining through during the iPhone flashlight test, and absolutely no highlights either. What. The. Hell. This brew is scary! A moderately vigorous pour results in a monstrous light brown head that's dense and creamy and takes ages to deflate. Leaves tons of lacing in its wake.

S: Delectably rich semi-sweet chocolate syrup and roasted malts up front create a boisterous and powerful aroma. A little bit of roasted coffee and Earthy hops come through as well. One of the most delightful aromas I've experienced.

T: This is unbelievable... These flavors are off the charts. HUGE waves of rich, decadent chocolate. Those Earthy hops creep in that add just enough bitterness to offset the chocolatey sweetness. The middle offers a few molasses-like notes, but primarily consist of the initial chocolate hop medley. It's all beginning to feel a little too sweet, but then... the finish offers a wonderful deviation from the candied bliss and transitions to an absolutely phenomenal freshly-ground roasted coffee. Bliss. Pure Bliss.

M: The body is full, and it might actually be more accurate to describe it as huge. The closest thing to a flaw I can find here is that it's not as creamy and rich as I had hoped and the carbonation is just a hair above my comfort level in a RIS, but even still, I can't drop it below "outstanding." Oskar Blues just knows what they're doing.

O: I'm having a hard time processing my thoughts into words right now... I've always held Stone's offering of this style in the highest regard, but I think it has been replaced. I don't know what the folks down at Oskar Blues are doing, but they're doing it right. Every aspect of this brew is so powerful and each flavor is so intense that it borders unbearable, but then it transitions into something new and it just all adds up to a divine experience. I'm simply in awe right now, and slightly sad that I've taken the last sip whilst typing my conclusion... If you haven't had this yet, stop what you're doing right now and buy it.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Beer review from BA Mag Dec 2007.

An Imperial Stout in a can--you've gotta love that.

Pours a motor oil consistency, ink black, dark as Satan's heartless soulless pit, liquid that's crowned with a thick, rich-looking coffee-colored head--hold the cream and sugar. Aroma is surprisingly soft with some fresh grain, hint of smoke and estery, dark ripe fruits taunting in the back. Creamy mouthfeel, full-bodied, viscous, with a rich malty base. Tangy molasses, molten chocolate cake, major roastiness going on with more smoke, char, double espresso and burnt raisins. Overripe black cherries. Bitter, but not puckering, more of an overall acridness that engulfs the palate. Hop presence is leafy, herbal, earthy, with a hint of lemon--barely detectable in the black chaos. Alcohol is well hidden, but sneaks into your brain eventually with a warming fuzz. Finish is exactly like you just had a double chocolate chip cookie in your mouth.

This one puts the "A" in "Holy crap!"

10w40 mixed with dark chocolate, dark coffee, dark fruit, and a hint of degenerate matter from a neutron star.

One isn't enough, two is too many!

I get tired of drinking stouts that are less than the best. Thank God for Ten FIDY.

I get tired of dark beers that are merely opaque. This sucks the light out of the room like all black holes.

The taste is so smooth and easy, you feel it is a part of you. You don't notice you're drinking it; only the bliss remains. (And the after effect of 10.5 ABV.)

May it be stocked everywhere, at all times. Amen.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oskar Blues TenFIDY.

At long, longggggggg last I finally get to try this highly acclaimed juggernaut of a beer. Only took me three or four years haha. Anyway, scored a 4 pack for 15.99. Did not go into the store with intentions on buying this..and then I saw it sitting there looking lonely and calling my name like your mom after I dumped her when we had you. Enough fucking talk, let us get to it.

Look - I've said abyss. I've said motor oil. I've said darkness, pitch black, and your wives blown out vagina. But this right here is officially the blackest beer I have ever seen. Poura blacker than Charlie Murphy out of the twelve ounce can into a pint glass with the deepest, darkest mocha head I have ever given my witness testimony to seeing. Carbonation will obviously be impossible to read given the supreme depth of this beer. The stick is moderate in nature and clings to the glass quite well.

Smell - Woahwoahwoah...I've never seen hops like this in ANY stout before. Big grapefruit and floral notes right off the bat met in the middle by roasted malts and chocolate and coffee and this and that. This is most definitely the MOST UNIQUE nose I have ever come across in any beer I have ever cracked open. Well...this will be an interesting flavor profile.

Taste - Tropical mango and grapefruit piths really stand out in this beer. Honestly I think this may be one of the most tropical beers I have ever tasted. After the initial tropical assault you are met by the chocolate and roast though they stay tame relative to the hops. There is a huge vanilla note as well that really dominates the mouth as you continue into the beer. A palate wrecking stout? Well that's certainly new. It tastes like mixing a ' Lil Sumpin Extra! ' with a ' Stone IRS '. This is an incredibly sweet beer with a melding of bitterness. They do not cancel out and instead join into a unison of boozey goodness. The alcohol isn't present at all.

Feel - The feel os this beer is thick with a higher than any other level of creamyness. The fresh hops once again dominate this aspect and the malts are turned down from the taste though there is an ever present roasted smokiness. The beer swallows once again very sweet and very bitter in an odd unison that I have never encountered beforw in anything I have drank. Should also add that the carbonation doesn't appear to even be a factor in this one. Beer is so damn thick it gave me a mustache.

Overall - This is easily the most unique beer I have ever had. With that said, if you know a hophead who hates stouts or a stouthead who hates IPAs this would be the gift to give them for christmas. Ultra hopped and fresh to death. Nice melding of the sweetness amd the bitterness. I've drank some bitter and some sweet beers before but this one was king in both categories, nearly choking me up a few times. This is not your typical high ABV dark stout. This is a whole new dimension of beer making.

Note: I will likely update ratings as I continue into the four pack.

4.87/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

God, I wanted to hate this beer because at $15 a four pack it's a little out of my price range for drinking often. But, as the reviewers before me can attest, this is an outstanding beer that is one of the finest beers I've ever drank and definitely the finest I've ever had from a can. I look forward to dropping large sums of money on this in the future.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

A - Pours midnight black with a wonderful thick brown foamy head.
S - Aroma is of roasted coffee and chocolate.
T - I taste bitter or burnt chocolate.
M - Not as chewy as I expected, more medium body.
O - This is an outstanding Imperial Stout, can't think of one better.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: deep brown - virtually black; 1 finger dark tan head that receded to a wispy cap; thick lacing that dissipated quickly;

S: bittersweet chocolate with roasted grain and hint of coffee behind it;

T: roasted grains up front; from mid-palate through the finish, it's like drinking malted milk balls;

M: full bodied - coats your mouth; moderate carbonation; lightly dry finish;

O: in a word, fantastic;

L: Pours pitch coal tar black crowned by a 1” tan foam collar that fairly quickly dissipates to a film
S: Light chocolate, roast and wine notes.
T: A little chocolate, some dark dried fruits, very nice malt and alcohol flavors. Has a little wine thing going on.
F: Juicy, slight warming, creamy, oily, with very fine carbonation, medium to medium low overall, medium full body.
O: A very fine Russian Imperial Stout.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Oskar Blues Ten FIDY has a thin, beige head and a dark brown (black, really) appearance, with some splotchy lacing left on the glass. The aroma and flavor are bold: the smell is of sweet, dark-roasted (but, not burnt) malt, sugar, and coffee, and the flavor is of those elements, with a touch of char, sugar, oatmeal puree’, mild black liquorice, background celery, and bitterness, which being counter-balanced by the extreme malt, does not come across as a 98 IBU thing. Mouthfeel is heavy and viscous, and Oskar Blues Ten FIDY finishes in between wet and dry, with an alcohol presence noticeable in the body, but not so much in the flavor. Actually, not at all in the flavor, really.

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Almost a perfect stout. I enjoy stouts a great deal and this is one I keep coming back to. Pours like motor oil. Flavor is perfectly balanced between sweet and bitter. Heavy and thick mouthfeel with above average carbonation to lighten it into an easy drinker. This is a feat for a 10.5 ABV imperial stout.

Overall this is near perfect. Not quite as complex as a KBS but doesn't have to be. I could drink this every day of the year. I can't say that for the KBS which I love in its own way.

4.11/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

good stout to have with breakfast. or whenever people drink stouts.

Finally got to try this one and it immediately entered my top 5 stouts list. Has a sweetness to it, but is not overly sweet. As much as I love chocolate and/or coffee stouts, it was nice to have one with no flavoring. Can't wait to grab more of these.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz can from which I forgot to get any dating information before recycling it. That said, I know for a fact this can is from last year (2013), so it's just about a year old at this point. Poured into a large 33 oz snifter glass.

Appearance (4.25) - It's hard to think of any way to describe the look of this beer other than motor oil with about a finger of ecru-colored chocolate mousse resting on top. It's the kind of brown that's so dark that there is no point in even trying to distinguish between the shad and true black. It matches the black on the can. The head is about a finger thick and slowly fades away to leave a film across the surface of the film and flecks of lacing here and there on the sides of the glass.

Smell (4.0) - Initial aromas are all varieties of roasted and toasted malts. Dark notes of burnt toast and char along with some more subtle elements of baker's chocolate and even hints of what reminds me of coffee grounds, but the variety that has been ground awhile ago, leaving them without the distinct coffee bean pungency.

Taste (4.25) - The promises of the smell are all delivered with interest--rich notes of semisweet chocolate and notes of bitter char and roasted grain are again front and present. There are also more earthy profiles of damp soil and soggy tree bark, even a bit of dried tobacco, albeit fleeting. It's relatively sweet, but not the cloying, toothache inducing kind of sweet.

Mouthfeel (4.25) - Full bodied and viscous, with a weight just like it's motor oil appearance. Moderate carbonation to counteract it from becoming sludgy. Semisweet and lingering finish on the tongue.

Overall (4.25), a fantastic beer and easily the best big, bold russian imperial stout in a can that I've had. This would be a great nightcap to have around the fire after a day of camping and drinking more heat-friendly canned beers in the sun. As the night comes over and the air starts to chill, whip out your can of Ten FIDY, pour it into your metal mess kit cup and sip away by the light of the fire.

4.59/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

pours a dark inky black with a thick dark creamy head.

smells like coffee, a faint aroma but aromatic nonetheless. almost hoppy coffee.

taste is fantastic, sweet roasted coffee.

very smooth, finishes with a coffee roast. like drinking cold coffee but it's beer!

i imagine this would be perfect on a cold day. thankfully i picked some up to have for a while. my first time having this and already one of my favorite stouts! enjoying this a few months later, still have 2 4packs left. gonna enjoy these closer to Christmas/New Years

2.65/5  rDev -38.8%

"Canned on 10-12-10", consumed 7/30/2011. Once again I am convinced that Oskar Blues just sits on shelves in FL where I bought this single.

Also on the can under the canned on date: "4th time's the charm?"

Huh? No explanation, and the usage of the question mark alone is enough to annoy me.... whatever.

A - Poured into a snifter. Very thick, I mean, really really damn thick. I took a lot of work to get a short head, but when I succeeded it was a dense fudge color and very short lived.

S - Dense, rich roast. Not much going on beyond that. Maybe some burnt brown sugar.

T - Roast and ash. Cigarette butts - this is actually the first time I have wanted to use this descriptor. There's a bit of fruit on the finish (plum and raisin).

M - Bitter, thick, and quite boozy.

O - Boy do I not get the hype and praise this beer gets. So far I am not all that impressed with Oskar Blues. This was simply an unpleasant beer to drink.

4.26/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Big ass beer. Not for the casual. Big and boozy, this poured porch black with a lot of chocolate on the nose. Sweet, chocolaty with a smooth roasty finish. Body is HUGE. Like yogurt is to beer. I get some banana, but nothing extreme; others would say fruity, but to me is banana. Low carbonation but head sticks around the whole time.

Not one I'd have a lot of at once, but worth taking your time on every once and a while. It's a sipper.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This stout is fucking meaty. Pours extremely dark with some ruby-red on the outside when light is shone into it; leaves some "cancupiscent" lacing as well. Smell is an amalgamation of dark chocolate, roasted coffee, dark fruits and berries, and smoked meat with a bit of a subtle soy-sauce kind of twang that lots of Russian Imperial Stouts have. The taste is just incredible and extremely well-balanced; not too sweet nor too savory and twangy. Truly balance in a can. The mouthfeel is considerably thick and viscous, and lingers on the tongue while the beer finished with a slight but pleasing alcohol burn that warms the stomach upon consumption.

This one got better with every sip, very fortunate to have found a pack today dated from last fall!

4.61/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a snifter glass.

L - Pitch black like motor oil (hence the name) with a nice thick light brown head that stuck around. Decent lacing on the glass.

S - Getting some dark fruits but kinda lacking in this depatment.

T - Dark fruits with a nice little alcohol kick.

F - Super creamy and thick, really seems to coat the inside of your mouth.

O - A really great, super accessible Imperial Stout.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a teku glass:

Appearance: Jet-black with a big, fluffy, mocha-colored head. Really solid retention and a clearly viscous body that sticks to the glass.

Smell: Somehow get lots of oakiness, but it's not BA, which is........confusing and awesome. Other than that, lots of chocolate, toffee and maltiness. Caramel and molasses too on the end.

Taste: Still get the bourbon barrely type taste at the front, which is amazing. Did they use oak staves in the brew? After that, lots of viscous mocha flavor and malty sweetness. So delicious and decadent!!

Feel: Thick and sticky, with a heavy body that lingers on the palate for plenty of time. The perfect dessert beer. Rich and heavy.

Overall: Can't believe I never picked one of these up before. One of the best non-BA stouts I've had, and for the ease of acquisition, one of the best beers I've had.

4.44/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours oily black and clearly viscous with an ample two finger brown head. Smells slightly sweet with dark cherry, dark chocolate, brown sugar and roast malt. Tastes really nice, blended nicely between the cherry and sugar and some hop bitterness and malt tang. Mouth feel is viscous but has just enough carbonation to offset that thickness. Overall, this is a really wonderful imperial stout....best I've had in a while.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark brown to black with a thick, creamy beige head that is well retained. Smells and tastes of espresso and chocolate. This is what a Russian Imperial Stout should be. Can't wait to find it again.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12oz. can (a can!) into a tulip glass. This is not a dark beer... this is BLACK. Midnight black. Outer-space black. Satanically black. It actually seems to pull in the light from around it... holding it up to a light, nothing penetrates. This inkiness is topped by a thick two-finger chocolate-colored head that fell slowly to a cap that left a cobweb of sticky lacing on the glass.

Aromas of coffee and toast are very apparent, a subtle earthiness, as well as tangy hop notes, vanilla, and alcohol.

The flavor of this is impossibly complex... the expected espresso, chocolate, and toasted bread notes are immediately perceived, with a touch of molasses fighting for attention in the background as a titanic wave of pungent hop bitterness sweeps in, somehow managing to harmonize with the lingering, almost ash-y roasted malt notes and warming alcohol. Even with the strapping 98 IBU bitterness rating, it all seems just right given everything else that's going on here. Subtle? No, but wonderful just the same.

The mouth-feel is rich and full-bodied, but with a surprising amount of carbonation lending it a tingle that keeps it from being syrup-y. It's not something you're going to quaff with abandon, but at 10.5 ABV that would be a foolhardy proposition in any case.

This is a true classic among Imperial Stouts, a masterpiece... powerful, uncompromising, demanding, this is the Death Metal of beers, and much like that musical genre not for everyone's taste, but very rewarding for those willing to explore its dark depths.

4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Look-looks thick coming out of the can, pours a beautiful jet black with a small amount of dark brown head

Smell-strong coffee, molasses, dark chocolate, malted milk balls, dark roasted malts, dried fruit, slight minerality

T-sweet up front surprinsgly, leading into chocolate, coffee, honey , there's definitely a certain rich earthiness here that not's unlike drinking merlot, slight floral hop notes at the end with a robust bitter aftertaste.

F-I'm not exaggerating when I say drinking this beer is like having your tongue wrapped up in a blanket. It's thick, but with just enough slight carbonation to let you know it's a beer. After swallowing a pleasant alcohol warmness rolls to the back of your throat and up your nostrils.

O-Absolutely outstanding. The best russian imperial I've ever had. The mouth feel is incredible. This beer is a knockout.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew