Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,746 | Reviews: 2,451

In my opinion, this is what other beers want to be when they grow up. Very dark (the lights dim in the room when you pour it dark). Small head with nice lacing, rich taste. This is my mainstay when I am in the mood for a stout.

This is my favorite stout!

Beautiful malty, raisins, molasses, this is amazing it is on same level as CBS.

What a stout should be. Smooth and rich. Had both growler and can. Growler a bit better but both some of the best beer be ever had

Tried this at work recently. One of the best beers I've ever had hands down. Everything you want from a Russian Imperial Stout. Chocolate, coffee, roasty flavors. Perfectly rich and creamy with plenty of booze that will warm you up.

A - Pours and oily burnt motor oil jet black, extremely viscous with a finger of dark burnt caramel colored head.
S - Amazing. Milky sweet creamy chocolate, roasty chocolate malts, caramel, vanilla and an extremely crackery, biscuity and bready oat and malt aroma.
T - Wow, the commercial description is so accurate on this, the thick creamy mouthfeel and the milky chocolate makes this truly taste like a German chocolate milkshake, the oaty bready malts make it taste like there's malted milk balls added. This is so crazy good. The 98 IBUs and the 10.5% ABV are WELL hidden. BE WARNED! Let's this warm up a bit to cellar temperature! If you drink this ice cold you WILL get a metallic taste and it WILL go away entirely of you allow it to warm a little bit.
O - An AMAZING, 10 star stout, easily makes my too 5 stouts list. An experience any stout drinker must add to their bucket list!
V - Four pack of cans, worth it!!

One of the best Imperial Stouts in the U.S.!!!!

Definitely one of the best stouts I've ever had

This beer is blacker than night when pouring. You can see your soul in the blackness that is ten fidy. This is one of the best if not the best imperial stout and its in a can. Beat that pretentious bottle heads. This is a must for anyone who thinks most stouts are malt foreword this has hops. It's really just a decadent creamy chocolate bar that you can drink. Fuck Industry Do it Yourself.

Truly Exceptional!!!! An utterly delicious imperial stout!

I get tired of drinking stouts that are less than the best. Thank God for Ten FIDY.

I get tired of dark beers that are merely opaque. This sucks the light out of the room like all black holes.

The taste is so smooth and easy, you feel it is a part of you. You don't notice you're drinking it; only the bliss remains. (And the after effect of 10.5 ABV.)

May it be stocked everywhere, at all times. Amen.

This beer is better than old Rasputin. Nuff' said!

This is the second 5 that I have given. The first - being a hop head - was heady topper. Trying Ten Fidy today was tie with Heady for being the most profound moment of my beer drinking experience. Amazing beer! Jet Black, toasty smell. The taste and feel are what catapults this to the stratosphere - taste is creamy, chocolate, coffee. The feel is like well carbonated motor oil that coats the mouth goes down ridiculously smooth for 10.5%!?!?! There is no hint of alcohol at all. Truly a glorious beer. I will buy this every time I find it.

A. Aggressive poor, beautiful explosions of dark brown soapy foam that settles to a thick brown insulation. No carbonation. Color is black with hints of brown. Like used motor oil. Looks delicious. 5
S. Smells of roasted malt toffee, coca, slightly bready, like brownies. Little alcohol. 5
T. Oh hell yah, magic in a can. Taste the same as it smells but with hints of coffee. Also taste like a brownie with nestle quick sprinkled on top. Awesome. 5
M. Thick, chewy, syrup, that doesn’t fill you up. Very little heat from the alcohol. 5
O. Very, very good. Go get some. I love that it comes from a can. It makes cellaring to easy, now hopefully it holds over a couple years. 5

Probably the best stout I've ever had. Fricken awesome pour. I love how it cascades up like a storm while pouring. Two finger head that rebuilds after each sip. Dark as night yet not super thick and offensive as some stouts can be. Tasted it at a brew event last night and out of the at least 20 beers (8 stouts) I tried, this was the best by far. It kicked my ass and I loved every second of it. The Oskar Blues rep gave me a generous pour and I went right back for more. Heavy malty chocolate flavor with a sweet smoke behind it. Slight hints of dark fruit and hops. Excellent mouth feel; no sourness or bitterness. A+ beer all the way. If you have the chance to try this handcrafted beauty, please your tastebuds and do it!

Fantastic Imperial Stout

Un-friggin-belieavably fantastic beer.

Had a 12 oz. can from the Brevard, NC brewery that was just under two months old. Served in a run o' the mill pint glass.

Poured with the look and consistency of dirty motor oil. One finger head eventually settles down to about a third of that and lasts the whole beer. Foam doesn't lace, but rather blankets the glass. Foam is thick enough you could put a sheet over it and sleep on it. Smells delightfully chocolatey, with some light fruit notes. Cherry, maybe?

Mouthfeel is an unbelievably creamy, almost buttery. Taste is phenomenal- malt, chocolate, coffee, and that possibly-cherry fruitiness to it. Enough hop bite and alcohol to get your attention.

I'm not a stranger to beer, but I am pretty much a noob when it comes to evaluating and defining the qualities of beer. I didn't figure I'd ever rate anything a 5, but there's just no way to ding this beer. I know what I like in beer, and what makes for a good stout.

This is without doubt not only the best stout I have had in 3 decades of dabbling; it is hands down the best beer.

Extremely dark in color. Smell and Taste are of a rich Chocolate. DAMN this taste YUMMY. This has just made my Holy Trinity.

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a tulip glass.
Aroma- HMMM, coffee, caramel and malt. fantastic.
Appearance- Looks like I just poured my old engine oil into a glass (that's actually a compliment)
Taste- The best Russian Imperial Stout I have ever had. I could also say the only RIS that I cared for. But this awesome tasting.
Palate- A heavy brew with moderate carbonation, has a creamy texture and a good alcohol feel after the swallow.
Overall- World class, I now know why people flip over this beer.

I have had this awesome stout in cans and on tap. The first time I had it on tap I was skiing and as soon as I tried it I knew it was the best I had ever tasted. When I got home I went out to a pub and THERE IT WAS! Since then I discovered you could get it in cans (cans really? Normally I only look at bottles) and although you can't beat tap the cans are still better than whatever is in second. If you like stout as well as other malt drinks there is nothing better than this!

A: Pours pitch black, like motor oil; a typical RIS. It forms a very nice, healthy-looking tan head on the top. A very inviting, robust appearance.

S: Dark chocolate, raisins, coffee, vanilla, and hints of oak.

T: Similar to the smell, with a delightful bite from the hops and heavy ABV. There is a lot of dark chocolate and coffee flavors in this beer, giving it a powerful robustness. The flavors come out even more after it warms up some. Delicious.

M: Full-bodied and thick, though easy enough to drink. It gives you the impression that you're drinking some sort of black shake.

O: Easily my favorite regular imperial stout, excluding special spiced RISs like Westbrook's Mexican Cake. If you get a chance to buy some Ten FIDY, I would highly recommend you take it. This is a stellar imperial stout, a brew you can sip on for a very long time.

Fucking big ass flavour. Knocks my socks off

Serving Type: Can
Looks: Pitch black, opaque, generous helping of brown foam head comprised of tiny bubbles.
Smell: Bitter chocolate, roasty coffee, walnut shells.
Taste: Semisweet chocolate up front, dark fruit, earthy hops and a faint nutty and earthy taste.
Mouthfeel: One of the best. Thick and warm.
Overall: One of the best readily available stouts out there.

Ten Fidy is by far in my top 10 of all time.It is the perfect Russian Imperial Stout.Pricey but worth it.When I see this on the shelf I can honestly say I will buy all I can.Very malty and chocolaty.Just the right amount of boozyness.many stouts have that hype and a few are deservedly so.Ten Fidy is one of them. 5.00 across the board.My favorite stout and perfect in my eyes.

Canned 9/30/13
Tasted 7/31/14

In the Nose- Pleasant chocolate/coffee/malt scent – no discernable hop.

In the glass – Well used motor oil (good for stout) with slight head – like just out of the crank case.

Taste – Heavy body – thick mouth feel. Well balanced dark chocolate, dark roast coffee, and a hint of licorice. Hops? I guess so but well integrated to taste like part of the coffee flavor (so they are light). The maltiness is perfectly positioned. A real sipper, well mannered when warming up and a pleasure to have a ‘beefy’ stout that is on the edge of the chocolate/malt precipice without going over. Not a bold taste by any means, but a refined, smooth, and rich taste that is not for the faint hearted but a must try for anyone who understands stouts. What can make it better? I don’t know so it gets an A+ in my book.

Parting thoughts – Really expensive but probably worth the money.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew