Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,754 | Reviews: 2,455
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

*love it, would buy it*

app: dark with bloodmeal hues. not much head. scary.

smell: bloodmeal smell, roasty dark malts nice rich n bold. not amazing though. it lacks the WOW.

taste: yummy, rich wonderful stout. GO OSCAR! not much to say. its great.

mf: little on the water side.. maybe from the age.

drinkable?: it sure is. this is why i drinkablem, cause of beers like this.

12 oz can

A - Pours a used motor oil dark opaque color. Very thick looking. The head is chocolate colored and well retained.

S - Very potent nose - noticeable traces of roasted and chocolate malts. There is some phenolic notes in the background.

T - Starts off light and smooth. Some bitterness, but primarily it is a roasted malt flavor. Finishes with a hard flourish of chocolate. A sweet finish. A hair of alcohol bite in the aftertaste.

M - Thick and creamy. Coats the mouth - very clingy. The carbonation is light, resulting in a smooth texture.

D - This beer can knock your socks off if you aren't paying attention - I've been there. It is an excellent end of the night beer, or as a desert beer. Or perhaps in a single beer sitting. Flavors and "fillingness" are not overwhelming.

An incredible beer. I wish I had better access to this in Iowa. Hard to imagine that little restaurant in Lyons can make such good beer.

3.99/5  rDev -9.1%

A- The beer is jet black with absolutely no head.

S- Full of chocolate and a little roastiness. Slight bit of alcohol.

T- Chocolate and roast then perfectly done BACON!

M- Almost too carbonated, which is weird for the amount of apparent carbonation. Slightly Chalky.

O- Good Imp Stout. I could drink it every day.

3.99/5  rDev -9.1%

Glad to find this in Myrtle Beach on vacation. Poured from a 12 oz can into a holtel glass.

Pours really black with a nice brown head that is huge, considering no pssst sound when I popped the can. It looks weird poring something that looks like this out of a can.

Smell is a bit of a let down. Huge soy sauce aroma is overpowering. I do get a little roasted malt and coffee. I have smelled much better though...

I still get a big soy sauce blast from the taste, but it's way less muted than the smell. Good roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate round it out.

Mouthfell is viscous and thick. I like it!!

Good beer that I have been wanting to try for a long time. Glad the Piggly Wiggly had this waiting for me in Myrtle Beach! With all the hype, I expected more.

3.99/5  rDev -9.1%

Lucky to have this one on tap at Zeno's...thanks Dave!

A-Deep, light absorbing black with a ridiculous dark tan head that looked like a living creature. Left heavy lacing throughout. One of the best looking beers I have seen.

S-Some liight chocolate and burnt malt. Not as intense as I would have expected.

T-Chocolate, burnt malts and a slight bourbonesque tatse. Really nice tatse throughout.

M-Smooth and creamy. This has a serious good mouthfeel. So big and rich....ends with an odd alcoholic finish...keeping this from getting a 5.

D-Very nice but a bit too big to have many of. Glad to have had it on tap.

3.99/5  rDev -9.1%

Oskar Blues has finally arrived in Illinois! Been wanting to try this for a looong time. 6 oz. split into a Hunahpu's snifter on October 11th, 2012.

A - As close to a Cigar City stout appearance I've seen. Prefer a 4.75 here. Hugely thick, black, and oily. Thin mocha head with just traces left. Marginal lacing.

S - Surprisingly more dark fruit that I'd have guessed. Raisins, sweet syrup/molasses. Light spices. Definite roast but not massive.

T - Front end shows a heavy espresso bitterness. Mid palate turns to a huge roasted character, with almonds and the like. Back end is more roast, dark chocolate, and that sweet winter, pitted character that I also detected in the aroma.

M - Medium-heavy body. Moderate carbonation, good dry finish.

D - No alcohol harshness anywhere in this one. The fruit elements clearly is what I'll remember about this one. It's akin to Founder RIS and Dark Horse Plead the 5th, only with more sweetness and less roast that I imagined it would have. Good thing I want to revisit, since I bought a 4 pack. ;)

3.99/5  rDev -9.1%

On-tap at the legendary Brick Store Pub in Decatur. Thanks Dave & Co.

Served in a goblet. Ten Fidy is: deep. Black. Deep black. Spotty, red-dark small head. Low retention. No complaints here.

Wait till it warms and you'll be rewarded with a rich malt-heavy nose that sports dense roasted grain, coffee, loads of cocoa, tobacco, vanilla and earth. Delicious, but subdued compared to some in the style. Alcohol is easy to pick out.

Now we're talking! Bitter coffee and burnt grain up front, followed quickly by chocolate and even more espresso. Large amounts of earthy hops shine through all the black mess; it's all very intense and in your face. Booze is noticeable. A sipper for sure. Unreal that this comes in canned form.

Carbonation is medium-hi off the keg; all quite acceptable. Mouthfeel is dense and slick, finishes roasty and earthy with a big coffee and hop bitterness.

Ten Fidy isn't awfully drinkable, but then it's a 10% Russian Stout. In a can. A can I say! Goodness. Perhaps the most intense beer to ever see the inside of an aluminum cage, Ten Fidy is something you should seek out and release. I also proclaim this the ultimate cold weather camping beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Big thanks to Hermthegerm for this!

Appearance: Black as death with a small head that quickly moves to the perimeter only. There is some lacing, which is more than I expected.

Smell: Big roasted malt, brown sugar, caramel, coffee, yum.

Taste: Barley and roasted malts combine nicely with subtle coffee. A hop punch hits in the middle and then fades as the malt becomes evident once again, fading into a bitter, clean finish. Booze is hid nicely.

Mouthfeel: Just right, not exactly viscous nor thin. Medium bodied feel that lends nicely to the downability of this beverage.

Overall: Glad I got to try this. Not my fav imp by any means but it's a quality beer.

3.99/5  rDev -9.1%

I bought a fourpack when I saw it based on its high BA rating, and was anxious to confirm if I got anywhere close to my $15.50 worth. Scots don't sleep well at night if they waste money.

Canned on 10/26/12. Poured from the 12 oz can into an Innis & Gunn flute.

a: If motor oil was not quite as thick and formed a brown head...which head stubbornly refused to dissipate much for quite awhile, leaving heavy lacing...

s: Dark malt and hops.

t: A strong hopped-up-tasting stout. Dark malt with a heavy dose of bitterness. Add a lot of hops and 4.5% more alcohol to Guinness and you have the idea.

m: Rather heavy and bitter.

o: I love a good hopped-up IPA, but if this is any indication, an RIS, not so much.
Perhaps this is not a good example since it was canned nine months ago. Nor does it
mean I am not an Oskar Blues fan. Old Chub is a fine Scottish ale, and Gubna and G'Knight also excel.

Now that I'm almost finished drinking my first Ten FIDY, and the alcohol is kicking in, I'm liking it a helluva lot more LOL. Reminds me of my very first Guinness drunk at a pub in London after touring the Tower in the summer of 1965. I was feeling no pain when I staggered out of that pub.

UPDATE 12/21/13: After being a bit intimidated by my underwhelming experience with my first Ten Fidy, I finally had a second and it was much more enjoyable. I have also had several more RIS's for comparison since this initial review. and it has added to my appreciation of the style. Based on this I am raising the original ratings, which were t: 3.75, m: 3.5, o: 3.75.

3.99/5  rDev -9.1%

a thick black pour, jet black.. into a tulip. finger of brown head, great retention. smells of sweet chocolate, coffee, molasses, tobacco.

the taste is very BOLD. a very abrasive bitter burnt coffee flavor, followed by dark chocolates, dirt, slight hint of hops, finishes in a subtle milk chocolate sweetness.

full body, creamy mouthfeel, low carbonation.

i've heard a lot of great things about this beer.. it's good, but i've had way better. it's a little too bitter/burnt tasting for my liking. the body is perfect, and the abv is masked well. maybe some aging will do this one justice. i'll save the other 3 cans for a later "use"

3.99/5  rDev -9.1%

A - A half finger of cinnamon colored head appears on a thoroughly black body that looks like motor oil coming out of the can. The head quickly shrinks to a thin film and leaves behind little lace.

S - Lots of dark, roasty malt notes. Coffee, roasted tea leaves. There is a bit of chocolate as well, but the character is mostly roast, with low hop aroma.

T - Strong, coffee like bitterness along with herbal hop flavor. Lots of tannic, earthy roast flavors follow along with a strange mint/ licorice note. The finish is full of lingering bitterness as well as a bit of alcoholic warmth that is the only time the beer reveals its significant ABV.

M - Heavy, oily body with moderate carbonation. Slightly tannic mouthfeel and mildly sweet finish.

D - Obviously not a session beer, but a bit hard to drink even for a 10% ABV stout. The aroma is very nice, but the overwhelming malt bitterness in the taste is a bit out of proportion despite the heavy body and residual sweetness. A very complex and interesting beer, but a bit over the top on roast character, in my opinion.

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%

12 oz can poured into a snifter.

A - Good looking beer. A vigorous pour yields a one finger light brown head that sticks around for a minute or so. Great legs that coat the walls of my Westvleteren snifter.

S - Typical smell of an imperial stout - coffee, roasts, leather, and malts.

T - Great! Far better than I was expecting. Coffee, chocolate, alcohol, roasted malts, bitter finish. Not the most complex RIS in comparison to others that I've had, but still a great tasting beer, especially from a can. The few flavors that do come through, however, are really wonderful.

M - Just the right amount of carbonation and thickness.

D - Very, very drinkable. I split this can with FluffyFactor, and I certainly would have had no problem drinking at least one or two cans on my own. The alcohol is well hidden. All in all, this beer has certainly exceeded my expectations.

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from their signature can into a snifter

A - Looks and pours like motor oil. I actually got a pretty nice 2 finger khaki head on my glass too, which is rare for such a big imperial stout like this.

S - Smells like chocolate, a little bit of fresh coffee, and dark roasty malt

T - Definite alcohol and chocolate up front, but this is surprisingly drinkable for such a big beer. It has a creamy, slightly bitter finish that make you want another sip

M - This was my favorite part of Ten Fidy... It's thick, slightly chewy, and creamy all at once.

O - This isn't my favorite non-barrel aged RIS, but it's definitely in my top 5. I prefer Plead the 5th, Expedition, and Founder's RIS. But if none of those were available to me - I would happily choose this to cure a big RIS craving!

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured 12 ounce can into a small tumbler. Like a can of oil out of the can, a small caramel colored head and some very stellar lacing. Smells of sweet roasted malts, some chocolate, coffee notes, and earthy tones. Taste is a bitter/sweet blend of robust coffee, some of that there chocolate, nice sweet malts and some nice hop to pop at the end. The beer is thick, its real chewy and has a bite like no other. ABV very noticeable, but the fullness of the beer has know problem telling you about it. Unfortunately its a sipper, but if you like slugging barium this is the beer for you. It's phenomenal overall, just takes a lot of devoted time to consume, (chuckles). Been dying to try this one, glad that I did but would probably pick another RIS if confronted again.

"It should have been you, Gordon"....

is next

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

6 month old can poured into a 13 oz snifter. Extra in a trade with hilgart1, much appreciated!

Appearance: Dark dark brown. 1 finger tan head. Moderate retention/lacing.

Smell: Roasty, a little alcohol on the nose, toasted malts.

Taste: Heavy roasted malts, a little boozy, but there's a malty sweetness that finishes with a soy-sauce aftertaste that isn't the greatest.

Mouthfeel: Full, heavy, smooth, coats the tongue.

Overall: Overrated in my opinion, not even close to world-class. A decent Imperial stout but for $15 per 4 pack I can think of 10 other stouts I'd pick over this without spending more than I would for this one. Doubt I'll ever drink this again, but you never know.

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%

Couldn't wait to try a canned RIS. Served at just about cellar temperature, in a snifter, from yes, a can! Let's see if it lives up to the hype.

Appearance: Pours out a deep inky, spent motor oil black. Possibly the blackest I've seen. Not a single ray of light could pass through this tar colored liquid. A vigorous pour yielded about a half inch of thinnish, dark, coffee colored head. Head receded rather quickly, leaving some thin streaks of dark lace.

Smell: A bit of a faint nose on this one. Nice roasted malt aroma with some prominent chocolate notes. Maybe a little molasses or brown sugar sweetness with some underlying dark fruits and black licorice. Almost a warm, freshly baked cookie in there as well. Pretty good so far.

Taste: Wow! A bit different. Quite bitter and dry in my opinion. A little coffee, a bit of dark chocolate, and an almost oaky flavor. A little dark fruit, maybe a raisin flavor. Tons of roasted malts with a mild hop bite. Finishes pretty smooth, with a little molasses and some noticeable booze. Not bad at all.

Mouthfeel. A bit dissapointed in this part of the brew. A little bit thinner than I would like but decent. Comes up just short of chewey. A moderate amount of carbonation is felt on the tongue and throat.

Drinkability: Pretty good drinkability despite the high ABV. Drinkability seems to get better as the beer warms. Overall pretty good, but different RIS. Lives up to the hype in my opinion.

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%

Ten-Fidy? He wanted ten-fidy. That ain't no girl scout, that's a damned lochness monster!

On tap at Manderes in Folsom

A - Poured black, with a 2 fingered brown head, dissipated slow, left nice lacing.

S/T - Dark coffeee, chocolate, caramel, and light alcohol. Little hop flavoring.

M - Highly malt-dominated, slighlty thin, very sweet. No alcohol presence in mouthfeel.

D - This is a good beer. It could probably use some hops to tame the sweetness.

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%

Thanks to cpferris for sharing this with me..

Poured out of the can straight into a Michelob Celebrate chalice.

Pours a dark viscous, like motor oil. Nice large head, with great lacing on the side.

Smells of chocolate, tobacco.

Tastes of chocolate, raisins. Slight tobacco undertones, mixed with coffee and hops. A bitterness not usually found in a lot of stouts.

Sips well, not overally as thick as it looks, goes down smoothe. The 10% ABV is well masked but I"m not sure i could do more than of these. It compares well to Darklord, but do not like it as much as I do the GI Bourbon County Stout. Very interesting for my first craft beer in a can. I enjoyed this beer alot, just had a few issues with the raisins, and some of the tastes on the front of the tongue.

12 oz. can poured into a pint glass

Pours a deep, dark impenetrable black, that strongly resembles used motor oil, with about a 1/4" of sturdy dark brown head that exhibits decent retention. Aroma is very restrained, good but noting too out of the ordinary. Roasted malts, chocolate, molasses, and some dark fruits are present with just a faint whiff of alcohol. Taste is much like the aroma. At first I am hit by a sticky sweetness which is followed by the arrival of roasted malts and, towards the finish, some dark chocolate and hop bitterness. The dark fruits don't appear until after the bitterness. In the late finish I get some alcohol, not hot or overwhelming, but noticeable. Mouthfeel is ok, it was a bit too thin IMO. This brew is medium, maybe medium-full, in body and has low carbonation. Drinkability is good, there was a nice alcohol warmth (a good thing) but overall I just wasn't that impressed. Its a solid brew and one that I'll revisit (since I have a few more cans) in the hope that tonight was just a bad night for FIDY.

**Bottled on 10/11/2011**

A: Pours like a can of oil -- just pours so thick and black with a bubbly brown head on top. Surely, depending on how vigorous you pour the can the more head you get, and I definitely let it fly. Don't expect the head to stay like this throughout. But, this is what I feel a stout should look like.

S: Heavy chocolate, cocoa -- lots of nice roasted maltiness and toasted grains. Nothing bad here -- a bit of booziness, but very solid.

T: Warm, syrupy, roastiness with a little bitter finish. Not the booziness that I smelled. Some definite cocoa in there. Maybe even some caramel flavors. Nice taste.

M: Thick body -- syrupy, oily. Little carbonation, but that works here. Good chewiness, which brings out the chocolate. Nothing wow here, but good.

O: Very solid Imperial Stout -- the look of this is the winner. The smell and taste back it up. If you're looking for a heavy stout, then I'd suggest this brew.

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Let me preface this review by saying that I had this at the Falling Rock Tap House in Denver and they charged me NINE FUCKING DOLLARS for ONE CAN. Since then I've been able to buy a four-pack for $8.49.

Hubba hubba, this is one pretty looker! This thing pours an impenetrable blackness for which there is no escape but the tan head ensconced above it. The color and viscosity are near that of a warm balsamic reduction. The Whoppers and ice cream used in the brew come through in the aroma, along with some alcohol. After all, this is an imperial stout. With its low carbonation and medium body it drinks easier than others in the style. The roasted barley hits up front with a hop bitterness towards the back, while the finish is mildly dry and pleasantly bitter.

Were it not for the persistent alcohol I would have rated it higher. I know this is partly what typifies the style but I wish it could have been covered up more.

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%

12oz aluminum, canned 12-22-08.

Consistency of crude oil bubbling fresh from the ground; the color is beyond pitch black. A centimeter of brown head is created, which dissipates to a thin but solid ring of lace on the upper lip of the chalice.
Loads of chocolate to the nose, with a slight roasted malt edge.
Flavor is very sweet; rich milk chocolate, candied sugar and espresso dominate the flavor. Very similar to a chocolate candy bar. Malt provides a hint of cola to the flavor as well.
Heavy in body and soul, as evidenced by the pour. Ever-so-lightly bitter in the end, with a nice little hop buzz at the finish.
Drinkability suffers a bit from the cloying sweetness. If that element had been toned down, it would make for a much nicer RIS. Still worth picking up, but I'm tempted to age the other cans further to see if it will mellow.

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%

This beer looks like motor oil as I pour it into my glass. The head is reluctant and I find myself trying to pour in such a way as to accentuate it. However, the head that does emerge is unrelenting and caps the beer from start to finish.

In the nose this beer has a nice chocolatey-coffee smell augmented by a touch of hops and a great malt spine.

The beer's taste is robust and indulgent. Chocolate. Coffee. A little pumpernickel maybe. Some piney hops in the back of the throat.

The one problem I have with it is that at 10.5% this beer has a little too much alcohol bite. I want the alcohol to serve as a crisp way to end a mouthful not as a sterile swab of vodka. This beer is the latter. Its a nitpick because when you buy a beer that is named for its alcohol content (ten fidy) you get what you paid for...

The beer has a delightfully heavy feel in the mouth and you can tell you're drinking an imperial. This isn't a sissy's beer and it does not feel like one.

With that said, it would be tough to choke down many of these in one sitting. On the other hand with the high alcohol content one beer is probably enough.

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%

With all the hype, I was expecting a knock out with a smooth feel that would hide the alcohol under the stoutiness. I was wrong. I am not saying this was bad at all, just didn't live up to the BA hype put on it. I will buy more next time it comes around. It's a beer that I'll drink if I want beer and it's too late to make a session. Dark..couldn't see through it. Roasted choc and coffee malts with lingering alcohol taste...the only bummer. Would and do recommend for special occasions for cans.

3.98/5  rDev -9.3%

(Can into Room-Temp Pint Glass)

Appearance: Utterly Black Body with a Deep Brown, Lasting
Head with Sufficient Lace.

Smell: Chocolate and Alcohol

Taste: Bittering Hops are Quickly Overtaken By the Extremely
Malty Chocolate, Molasses, and Roasted Barley.
Additional Notes of Coffee and a Lingering Marshmallow
Flavor.

Mouthfeel: Full-Bodied, Almost Like Drinking a Thick Milkshake.
Very Smooth with a Semi-Clean Finish. Slightly Sticky
On and Around the Lips.

Drinkability: Definitely a Sipping Beer. Probably Wouldn't
Partake in a Second as it is Quite Rich, Warming, and Filling...
Not To Mention the 10% ABV Sneaks Up On
You!

Other: A Very Solid Russian Imperial Stout. I've Been Very
Impressed with Oskar Blues and Their Blue Collar 'FIDY'
Mentality. Worth a Try!