Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros

Pour- like motor oil...it should be called 10W-40

Appearance- darkness....to light passing through this guy....dark brown head

Smell- Roasted, smoky, chocolate

Taste- wow...hits every inch of ur tongue with malt, hops, caramel, chocolate, roasted smoked coffee

mouthfeel- sticks to your teeth, like drinking a milkshake

drinkability- great for a cold winter night

next time i need a fork and knife to drink this....awesome

im surprised to see that this beer is retired i just picked it up a few weeks ago

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

I'll probably say what has alerady been said countless times, but this is one incredible stout and hands down the best beer ever to come in a can.
Pours really black and really smooth into a Stone RIS glass. You can just tell this is one viscous brew. I must say, there is something very satisfying about pouring a beer this black and thick from a can. A small, creamy dark tan head slowly develops. The head looks like, if you could scoop it off and put it in a glass by itself, it would be somethign someone would pay $6 for at starbucks. Alas, it does not last terribly long before reducing to a small coat on the top of the black hole that is the beer.
Smell is mostly of roasted malts with a nice whiff of hops.
Taste is out of this world. As a big fan of the style, I've had my share of RIS's, and this is the 1st one in a while that has really exceeded my expectations. Very intense onslaught on the taste buds of dark roasted malts, dark bitter chocolate and enough hops to notice, but not enough to overpower the brew, as some American interpretations of the style do. Hop bitterness lingers in the finish, mingling for awhile with some leftover roastiness. This is no beginner RIS, thats for sure.
Mouthfeel is smooth as silk and very heavy on the palate. Perfect for the style, IMO.
Drinkablity? Well, I cant wait for the next sip.
All in all a very impressive stout...damn its good.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Look: Pitch black with a perfect, dark brown head! Excellent lacing too!

Smell: Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and cherry

Taste: Up Front: Chocolate, coffee. Finish: Malted milk balls, and a little smoke right at the very end

Mouthfeel: Full body - thick & creamy and perfect carbonation

Drinkability: Goes down really smooth, and the alcohol is well hidden

Overall Impression: Don't let the can fool you, this is one of the best Russian Imperial Stouts that's not barrel aged that you'll ever have!!! In truth, I would have thought that it was a barrel aged beer based on the complexity and depth of flavor.

Ten-FIDY
You are a beautiful RIS. Don't know that I've ever heard a Russian Imperial Stout abbreviated that way, but I like it and will continue to use it until it catches on, if it has not already.

Pour/Color-
Ever held off on an oil change for faaar to long? That's the color. Not much head, as to be expected from a RIS. The head is a coffee-with-a-little-cream color.
Lacing is all, but gone in a matter of second. Though, a ring does stick around for the length of consumption. I like that there is a complete lack of coffee to this beer. Not against coffee beers, but it is nice to have something that breaks away from what seems to me to be an overly common practice these days in your darker beers.

Smell-
Molasses is right up front. Thick and strong. Slight alcohol. Chocolate and... tobacco?
Read a few reviews where this beer was called "too sweet".
I don't know if I would go as far as calling this sweet. A lack of bitterness doesn't equate to a "sweet" stout.
Taste-
Up front you get a nice chocolate and malt flavor. Very, Very smooth. The malt are strong in their roast characteristics, but no right away. The roasted aspect kind of creeps in at the last second before the aftertaste takes over. Minimal bitterness. Very pleasant.

Mouthfeel-
Perfect.

This is a well rounded imperial stout. Does a lot of things that too many breweries don't do. Like, for one, keep it simple. Complexity is great, but in moderation.(If thats not too oxymoronic) This is a smooth, rich RIS that one could drink all the time.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Big thanks to phil7568 for this one!

Upon opening the can, there is no hiss of carbonation escaping. It's strange and unfamiliar to only hear the metal tab scraping the sides of the mouth as it's being pulled back. It definitely doesn't smell like any other beer I've had out of the can. Poured into my snifter, it looks like motor oil: dark black, thick, and absolutely no carbonation.

Swirling the glass around produces a small amount of head and releases a little more of the bouquet. The smell is of chocolate, raisins, and a little spicy alcohol. Takes a couple of sips just to sort all the complex flavors. Bitter, dark chocolate up front, then a bit of mild caramel sweetness followed by a bitter finish that seems to be more hop-induced than the chocolate malt. It also fades into a really nice caramel aftertaste.

As far as mouthfeel is concerned, it feels like it looks: thick and syrupy. Also, it's very lightly carbonated. This is a fairly big beer, so I doubt I'd have more than two, but I'd certainly enjoy the hell out of those two.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Man....when KeefD said that he had a new "little" beer for me this evening, he wasn't kidding. Thanks my friend for this one. WOW!

A - This beer, by my standards, is one of the finest looking beers I have had the privledge of looking at. Incredible. A 5 in my book. Thick and black as fricking motor oil that has been in an engine for too long. Exceptional. NO and I mean NO LIGHT comes through. Perfect.

S - Ohhh yeah. Burnt sweet malt heaven. Like walking into a beer lovers candy store. Huge wonderful smell. I need a corned beef sandwich on Rye with some horsey sauce nextt time I have this beer. Another 5. I am scare, where is this leading. I never give all fives. Where could this be leading?

T - I am kind of excited here. If the past two criteria have any indication, I might be going on a trip to some beer planet in a few moments... Here goes...Wonderful. This beer is big and not scared to let you know it. This is one huge stout. Alcohol is present but in a fantastic way. Beer gets so much better as it warms up a bit. All of the thickness and strong stout characteristics come through. Wow....I am hooked. Not quite a 5 but close. I have to give it a 4.5. This beer reminds me of an Old Raspy but much thicker.

M - Get the steak knives out boys because you are going to chew this one down. Fantistic. Creamy. Completely coats the mouth. Smooth. Another 5.

D - Why can Wisconsin get this but Minnesota can't? I mean, the trucks have to go through Minnesota to get the beer to Wisconsin. For this reason, I have to give it a 4. Also, because this is such a HUGE beer. Could I drink this all day. Of course I could. Would I die trying...I just might, or at least the liver might. Sign me up for the donar program boys....if this hits Minnesota, I just might need one.

Thanks again Keith...Fantastic.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Absolutely black. It ours from the can looking like it came up from the ground a bubblin' crude. This is so black that not even light escapes. The head is tight and creamy and very dark brown. There is plenty of lacing.

Aroma: Chocolate and and coffee predominate, but there is some smokiness and a bit of licorice.

Mouthfeel: Extremely thick and creamy with light to moderate carbonation.

Taste: There is a bitter chocolate taste right up front. The bitterness builds as you savor the coffee, chocolate and licorice flavors. As the primary tastes fade, the bitterness persists with a light smokiness. The alcohol warms without being overpowering.

Overall impression: This is a very bitter stout, but in a good way. The bitterness never overshadows the complexity of flavors. I want my stouts thick and this is one of the thickest, creamiest stouts I've had. Of course the 10% abv contributes to this being a sipping stout. Oskar Blues continues to impress me.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Served from a can.. with pride.

A-Used motor oil is as close as it comes to describe how dark this beer is. Nice coco head with great lacing

S-Dark chocolate, roasted malt, esspresso, coffee, some booze

T-Unreal, bitter roasted coffee paired with layers of chocolate, from rich milk chocolate to dark bitter chocolate. WOW!

M-How can something that looks so thick be somewhat light to the palate? Very nice

D-Highly, for the ABV and style

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

I've been sick all week so this is my first beer in seven days....

Holy cow! Just like everyone says, it looks like straight oil! pours up thick black in color with a dark chocolatey head. Great lacing on my Duvel glass. The nose is thick roasty malts, dark chocolate, slight alcohol warmth. Wow! Such a full bodied malt taste rolling through my mouth, subtle smoothe hops give just enough of a bitter bite, dark chocolate, notes of coffee in the finish. Not just full bodied but 'thick' bodied, low smoothe carbo. Just enough carbo to keep this beer alive.

Probably the biggest beer I've ever had out of a can. Crazy....

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Courtesy of VanillaMike, poured into a snifter.

A - Dark dark black, with ridiculously thick, dense head that threatens to overflow the sides of the glass, and leaves a bit of wet lacing down the sides. Really awesome.

S - Slightly sweet, bready malt, some dark chocolate and roasty coffee. Really fantastic.

T - Tasty chocolatey coffee. Hints of dates and raisins. Very decadent and rich. A touch of alcohol at the finish, and some smooth roastiness lingers afterward.

M - Really thick, smooth, rich, awesome.

Overall, a fantastic imperial stout, one of the best I've had. I really wish Oskar Blues distributed to Michigan...

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Served in a snifter from a can. Pours a deep black with minimal head. A slight mocha head remained around the edges. Smell is sweet and chocolatey. There is a nice roasted flavor to the beer. The chocolate notes come through along with some vanilla sweetness. There is a slight and pleasant malty bitterness. This a thick beer with very little carbonation that lingers on the tongue. Overall this is an excellent Imperial Stout. It has a nice warming feel going down and packs a nice punch without having too much of an alcohol taste. Highly recommended.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Nose: Dark chocolate and molasses. Coffee and vanilla. A hint (very slight) of prunes. Mild liquorice.

Appearance: Jet black and viscous. Some cola-colored bubbles, but no head. A glass of tar.

Taste: Vanilla at first, followed by mounds of sugar and charcoal bitterness that prevent sweetness from being too much of a factor. The alcohol is present with a raisin-like quality. The feel is velvet smooth and decadent. It finishes a little hot and burnt/bitter.

Overall: Goddamn what a beer. A lot of flavor packed in that can. Roasty, sweet and bitter.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to olddirtysurfer for this can. I have yet to have an Oskar Blues product I didn't like.
Poured from a 12 ounce can into a snifter.

A. Dark old engine oil color with a large fluffy mocha head that slowly dissipates and leaves great lacing.

S. This is definitely a beer to smell as it warms. Predominate chocolate maltiness with a hint of dark fruits. Some hops show through.

T. Very chocolately with a great coffee aftertaste. The maltiness is foremost.

M. Very creamy and pleasing texture. Great oily finish.

D. Except for the 10% abv I could drink this all day! A great RIS from Oskar blues!!!

12 oz. can poured into a Oskar Blues branded rocks glass

A: Pours the darkest pitch black possible with a one finger beige head.

S: Wonderfully balanced aroma of rich dark fruit, toffee, a bit of vanilla, very mild roasted malt.

T: Again impeccably balanced. Dark fruit upfront a bit of vanilla, transitions to roasted grain and malt, and finishes with a bit of bitterness.

M: Full body perfectly balanced with the abundant carbonation. The sensation in your mouth is comparable to running your hand over velvet. Truly flawless.

O: Without a doubt one of the best Russian imperial stouts currently brewed.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Looks like black, thick, viscous motor oil being poured from a can. Leaves a single finger of dark tan foam, with moderate lacing on the glass.

S: Dark roasted grains, chocolate, coffee, and some mild sweetness.

T: Damn good. The alcohol is present, but not unpleasant. Lots of roasted flavor in this one. Some hints of chocolate, toffee, and coffee are in the background.

M: Thick and viscous, with little carbonation.

D: This is a great RIS! I can't wait til' this starts getting distributed in MA. I would gladly drink this all the time if I could.

Between this and Surly Furious, I have a whole new respect for beers in cans.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Woa, talk about impressive. Only the 2nd beer I've had from this brewery, and I'm still most impressed. This is one of the greatest looking beers....ever. From the can into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass this beer pours out completely black in color, really no highlights to it. I had a huge foamy head that was one of the most unique colors I've ever seen. Similar in color to coffee with a slight amount of creamer to it, but almost had a reddish tint to it and it provides some decent lacing, spots all over the glass from top to bottom. The smell consists mostly of roasted malts and heavy amounts of chocolate slightly blended with some coffee. I actually expected to smell a touch of alcohol, but nothing. You can pick up on the hop aroma, but I couldn't notice it until it was room temperature. Excellent taste to this, absolutely wonderful. Same combination as the smell, it really has heavy amounts of chocolate, almost like fudge. There are roasted malts which adds to the initial sweetness. The hops are much easier to single out in the taste than the smell, pine. I noticed the coffee hints right before the hops. Extremely well balanced flavor with all the different flavors, well done! The mouthfeel is truly exceptional. Full bodied with an excellent texture to it, heavy, sweet and a bitter finish. All of this blended together so well leaves this an extremely drinkable beer. 2 for 2 from Oskar Blues in my opinion.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

I was fortunate enought to have a glass of this on tap at the brewery in Lyon, CO.

Pitch black, with a cinnamon mocha colored head. Not a lot of foam, however the serving glass was filled to the top so there wasn't alot of room. Even so, some rich foam remained all the way down the glass.

Not a strong aroma for many of the reasons just mentioned. I also have a cold so my sense of smell is not working well. Still, some roast and malt aromas were present, with a slight sweetness.

The taste. Exceptional! Roasted malts, slight coffee and bitter chocolate flavors; however not bitter nor over the top in flavors either. Is there even any alcohol in this 10.5 beer? You'd never guess it if you didn't know.

Mouthfeel was also spectacular. For a big, heavy stout, this is very light and smooth on the palate. It is actually very soft. Warming as it goes down, it is a great sipping beer.

Overall, the drinkability is very good for a stout this strong. I could easily have a couple glasses at one sitting, but it is rich and filling and will catch up to you. Bravo, Oskar Blues!

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Wait, is this one flat? Oh, no, it's ok. Pours a jet black with very late arriving brown head. Head doesn't stick around long.

Smells carmelly, with a good bit of alcohol in the nose too.

Tastes chocolately, a little licorice, some caramel. Alcohol is not as apparent.

Mouthfeel is good, there's still some slight carbonation in there.

Very drinkable, but the abv will get you.

Overall, very good Impy stout.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Canned on 10/25/2010. Poured this can into my Swashbuckler pint glass.

A- Thin layer of brown caramel head forms and dissapates quickly. I brought this home in my car over some very shitty PA pothole roads that may have bumped this around and oxidized it a bit. The beer itself is a motor oil viscous, completely black beer.

S- Enticing chocolate and caramel aroma's at first. Chocolate mostly. Smokey roasted malts are a plenty, combined with a little bit of heat and great scents of vanilla. Lastly there are some faint distinctions of coffee. Amazing smelling RIS. After letting this warm some I even got some dark fruit aromas. This bumped it to a 5 for me.

T- Almost the same as the nose. I detect the heat and vanilla flavor first. The malts stand out strongly in the flavor. They make their presence known midway through, with a medium roast blend that goes well into coffee. Lasting flavor at the end and leaves an aftertaste is the chocolate.

M- The viscosity from the pour makes for a closer to full mouthfeel. Syrupy thick, yet velvety smooth on the tongue. Little bit of heat but not astringent at all.

D- Everything about this beer makes it easily drinkable. If not for the heat this would be quaffable. I think the appearance could've been a lot better had I driven home more carefully, but I blame PA roads. Great tasting, sweet aromas, and superb mouthfeel.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

A- Head was dark tan, creamy and two full fingers thick... displayed excellent retention, maintaining its thickness for at least a full minute. Body was beautiful and opaque black. The whole thing looked like spent motor oil as I poured it from the can. Lacing left on the sides of the glass was sticky, brown and muddy.

S- Smells like strong dark french roast coffee, espresso and a hint of licorice and strong alcohol. Very inviting and fairly strong for an RIS.

T- Exactly what an RIS should taste like- Dark roasted malts, coffee and strong alcohol backed with a pleasant hop bit and a hint of sweet black licorice in the finish. Aftertaste leaves me dreaming of dark roasted malts and wishing I had grabbed a whole bunch more of these when I had the chance. Absolutely phenomenal flavor profile, and this one came from a can!!

M- Viscous and oily while remaining smooth and creamy. Mouth and tongue coating is very pleasant and lingers the way an Imperial Stout should. A tribute to the style.

D- This one works best as a slow sipper, but the taste is such that I want to sip over and over again, even once the beer is finished. The high ABV is very obvious but the flavors shine through nonetheless, making this a very drinkable brew. Enjoy this one warm; it is phenomenal, and to do otherwise would be a waste of such a fine brew.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 12 oz can (of course) into my DFH snifter at just below cellar temperature.

A - Motor-oil black with subtle carbonation action that pushes up a modest cappuccino foam head that subsides to a film after about a minute or so. Not much for lacing, but then again this style always has trouble in this area.

S - Amazingly, behind the thick roasted coffee and dark chocolate malt assault, the crisp green west coast hops are completely discernible. Also noted are hints of vanilla, soy, brown sugar and molasses.

T - Bitter coffee and bittersweet chocolate with that odd but unmistakable nuance of English Stilton cheese that I so often get in really good Russian Imperial Stouts. Nicely bittered in the back of the tongue and after the swallow. Decently drying in a way that leaves you wanting that next sip...

M - Silky and smooth with just a quick wash of tingle. Turns thick and viscous in the mouth before the sublime, throat-coating swallow. Fantastic.

D - For a ten percenter, this beer is all about the smooth. I don't know what else to say other than -- this beer simply rocks, and I wish I had it in the running when I did my last RIS blind tasting.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to BeerTruth for this treat.

Poured vigorously from the can into a nonic it is pitch black and opaque. The head is a dark tan color and slowly builds into a solid two plus inches of very creamy, very thick head. Retains an awesome thick lace and is very sticky on the sides of the glass.

Smell is super malty with dominant aromas of fresh ground coffee, espresso beans and roasted malt. Also some dark chocolate which gives a bit of sweetness.

Taste is an awesome, rich combo of coffee, espresso and roasted malt. They are the dominant flavors. It's amply bitter but has some sweetness, too, with some dark chocolate flavor. There's a little bit of warming alcohol but it's not bothersome.

The mouthfeel is viciously thick and chewy, full bodied for sure, and just super creamy and smooth.

This is an incredible beer. Between this and Old Chub I can't help but put Oskar Blues toward the top of my favorite breweries.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Another can experience. I love it.

A - Dense, opaque black with a KILLER head of mocha, leaves slowly.

S - Earth, leather, cocoa and of course, coffee.

T - Dynamite. Mocha plus. Starbucks got nothing on this one.

M- Hits all the cues. Nice coating, good carbonation. Feels wonderful.

D - I would try to drink more, I want to drink more, but it is 10%...

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

12 oz can poured into a snifter at room temperature.

L - Jet black color with a 2-finger thick bubbly brown head. This thing pours like it’s motor oil. Pretty nice retention, good lacing.

S - Nice roasted aromas of coffee and roasted barley. Definitely some sweet aromas of chocolate, vanilla, and dark fruits like plums as well. Maybe a little bit of alcohol present, but not too much.

T - Nice sweet flavors of chocolate and plums with a good, bitter finish with roasted barley and coffee flavors. Maybe a little alcohol present here, too. Very sweet but not at all artificially so like some beers with lots of added sugar. Very tasty.

F - Very full-bodied, nice carbonation, mouth-coating feel, and a slightly bitter but very dry finish. Bitterness lingers for a little bit in the back of the throat, but it’s mostly the sweetness that lingers on the tongue and palate. A little bit of a warming sensation from the alcohol. In my mind, this is how a stout should feel.

O - This is one of the best imperial stouts that I’ve ever had. It looks, smells, and tastes great, and it has the best mouthfeel by FAR of any stout I’ve tried. Plus, for 10.5% ABV, it hides the alcohol extremely well. This is an excellent beer. And it’s in a can!

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

It pours as black as a moonless ebon night on a far-flung heath. Two fingers of velvety brownish tan head settle to a soft scoop of pillowy foam. A sheer wall of lacing scarps the inside of the glass.

The aroma graces with long and deeply roasted malt that's darkly earthy with dates, black cherry, cocoa, black coffee, and chocolate. A low-key toss of hop spice precedes a surprisingly soft blush of alcohol.

Upon sipping, the malt is singed artfully, teasing out bitter espresso, sweet toffee, and dried dark fruit, a light bite of black cherry and unsweetened chocolate. Hops spice moderately and play off a twist of licorice. The alcohol is much warmer here, but it's still craftily incorporated. Burnt biscuit bottom begins a very crisp and dry finish that slides easily into a long low hum of lingering bitterness. This is a glass full of inky black flavor excellence.

Full bodied, it flows thick and sticky like 40W mixed with syrup, and the glow it leaves is marked and homey.

If it's dark, earthy, and deeply brewed, it seems to be in here, like rich loam in a can. It's wickedly complex, it's deceptively well blended, and it can't help but inspire a warm smile with every eager sip. And speaking of warm, the ABV is present but still slightly subversive. Yet, it drinks especially well because it tastes so damned good, and feels awesome going down. For my money, it is well wirth the $3.50 a can it cost me, and I'll be buying it again, and gladly at that.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew