Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros

Served on tap at Oskar Blues tap room

A- oily black with a chocolaty black head

S- intense smell, Smells of chocolate and espresso and a hint of grain

T- chocolate notes. Slight oatmeal taste. Slight espresso taste as well. Enjoyable flavor

M- extra smooth, strong bite at the end

O- great look and feel. Intense taste.. Want to try again soon

MrDonQuixote, Aug 07, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -15.5%

OMG! For a second I thought I was changing the oil in my old farm truck. This stuff is so black you can see time and space bend around the glass. There is a dark tan almost chocolate brown head that flattens quickly.

The aroma is very rich and inviting at first pour, but it calms far too fast. There is little to no lingering aroma to get a hold of, but my first impression was of something rich, decadent and almost Christmasy (brown sugar and spice).

The taste is smoky (almost a Rauchbier quality), mild hop, and a little licorice.

aeminter, Jan 05, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -15.5%

A - Decent head, last a little while. Dark, tar-like black.
S - Malt, chocolate, espresso
T - Chocolate, cakey, some creaminess
M - Heavy body
D - This is too heavy to be something I could drink a lot of, not to mention the alcohol content.

Honestly, I think Old Chub from Oskar Blues is phenomenal, in comparison. This one is good, but it doesn't seem to have the complexity that Old Chub has, in my opinion.

Poured into a snifter.

dzni, Mar 13, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -16%

Thanks again to woodychandler for yet another beer for me to try. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, a touch of chocolate. Taste also has malts and chocolate, hops are definatly present, a hint of sweetness. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a good quality beer.

tone77, May 21, 2011

12oz can to pint glass

Appearance - Pours black as motor oil, minimal carbonation, and coffee colored head that settles quickly.

Smell - Roasty, chocolaty, caramelly malts...can also smell the alcohol on this one faintly.

Taste - Smoky on the onset but finishes somewhat bitter and hoppy. The alcohol is there but does not overpower the other flavors. I also pickup some of the roasted coffee/espresso flavors that others have described.

Mouthfeel - Pleasant mouthfeel with some lingering flavors that coat your mouth. Very complex flavor profile with subtle nuances in every sip.

Drinkability - This would be a nice dessert beer right along side a piece of german chocolate cake. However, I can't see drinking more than one in a night.

tbraun1, Feb 25, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -16%

12 oz can poured into a Nonic. "canned with care" 10-27-09 @ 14:52 "Join the dark side" on the bottom. Part three of "Birthday Beer Extravaganza"

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for this canned beauty!

A - I absolutely did not expect this from a can. The pour showed the beer to be extremely dark cocoa brown with a good clarity but I have never seen a beer so black in my life. It's as black as the can it comes in, blacker even than Satan's soul. It also poured with a head darker than any I've ever seen. Totally chocolate brown and dense, it has moderate retention with specks of lace left on the glass.

S - The aroma broods with deep roasted malts, cocoa, and unsweetened chocolate. Unfortunately like the Rochefort 10 before it, it also has a strong metallic nose. A bit of alcohol comes out on a swirl and, thankfully, the malts become more prominent than the metallic nose.

T - The malts seem to be at an insanely roasted level. Lots of molasses flavor with bittersweet chocolate too but damn it, it's got that same metallic-like thing the nose does. I don't know if it's from the can or from the malts being roasted beyond comparison (if that's possible) but it makes it much less appealing to me. It also has a slight nutty, woody hint to it and a little spice with the alcohol. A bit overly roasted methinks.

M - This beer would compare to some motorcycle oil in weight. It's as thick as molasses and coats your throat the same. Almost no carbonation to speak of and an utterly full-bodied beer. The finish is a bit dry and bitter from the sheer level of roast.

D - OY, this beer is out of control. I'm having a hard time sipping at it for two reasons; 1) The ridiculously roasted flavor, and 2) that pesky metallic thing. Sometimes more is not better which is exemplified in this beer. I'm going to try and share it now.

This might be the Star Wars geek in me, but my favorite part of this beer besides its ink color is the "join the dark side" quote on the bottom.

BeerFMAndy, Dec 01, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -16%

12-oz can poured into a pint glass.

A = Pours like old engine oil, thick and so dark brown it is pretty much indistinguishable from black. Forms small dark brown head which dissipates slowly, leaves medium lacing on glass.

S = Strong bitterness and hops flavors mixed Turkish coffee, evaporated milk, flowers. Interesting smells, but frankly a little too hoppy and flowery for my tastes in an imperial stout.

T = Strong coffee tastes mix with both bitterness and pine tastes from hops. As with the smell, the pine and floral tastes of the hops just don't meet my expectations. It's not bad, but it's not my cup of tea. I'd prefer an RIS with perhaps some of the bitterness of hops, but not the strong flavors. Tastes too much like I mixed a coffee stout with an IPA. There's not inherently wrong with doing that, but it's not what I'm looking for in an RIS.

M = Heavy, heavy body, luscious creamy feel, great mouthcoating. One of the best mouthfeels I've ever experienced in a beer.

D = This is a drinkable beer but with the ABV and the mixed tastes of RIS and IPA, I think this is one where I really have to be in the right mood.

Traquairlover, May 01, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -16%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

A- Pours black with a paper thin brown head that instantly vanishes. No lacing at all.

S- Faint traces of chocolate and coffee. I'm not getting a huge aroma out of this, to be honest.

T- Getting some dark fruit, maybe plums or figs. A little bit of a bitter chocolate and coffee kick near the end. The fruit actually kind of blends with the coffee to create a unique and pretty damn good taste.

M- Thick. Almost syrupy. Just like a good stout should be. Its bordering on too thick though...but it doesn't hit that mark, at least.

D- My feelings are mixed. I've had worse Imperial Stouts, and I've had better. This falls somewhere in between. Oskar Blues is nearly impossible to get in southcentral PA, but on a journey somewhere else, I'd be willing to pick a couple of these up for the unfamiliarity factor.

bigfnjoe, Mar 30, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -16%

Pours black with one finger of creamy, thick, dark tan head.

Scent of brown sugar, dark fruit, roasted malts, chocolate, and alcohol. A well rounded, but unimpressive scent.

Taste of roasted malts, chocolate, sweet, dark fruit, and some coffee. Not particularly complex, but solid and definitely worthy of a try.

Mouthfeel is medium heavy bodied and smooth.

paco1029384756, Feb 27, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -16%

A- Pours a "none more black" that doesn't let any light though, even around the thinnest edges. A very deep milk chocolate colored, two finger head has phenomenal retention, and leaves great lacing behind. Very viscous, scary, and beautiful.

S- Heavy amounts of roast and toast here, with little else present. Molasses, chocolate, espresso, brown sugar, burnt caramel, and a heavy mocha latte aroma make this very malt forward.

F- Again, heavily toasted/roasted malts take the front line in this. Chocolate especially dominates the flavor with a heavy coffee presence as well. After the first sip though, this turn downward a bit. The roasted malt character is a bit overpowering, leading to a burnt/metallic type flavor. Finish is astringent and acrid from the heavily roasted malts. A touch of hops are apparent on the finish, but are overshadowed.

M- Thick, heavy, sticky, and full

D- decent at best. This is definitely a sipper for many reasons.

Overall, this is a solid RIS, but could be a bit better. Spinal Tap references aside, this could use a little less roasted malt. It simply tasted burnt. That being said, it is an impressive beer, and well worth picking up for $3 a can. I'll hold onto a couple of these for a year or two, and they should do quite well. Until then, this is just a little unbalanced. Oskar Blues usually does a great job of "overdoing" beers, but this is just a little too far to the burnt end of the spectrum.

phisig137, May 14, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -16%

Can poured into snifter. Date on can (blurry).

Pours like motor oil into this snifter. Comes with about 3/4 inch of tan colored head, which leaves a bit of foam around the edges of the glass. Smell offers a bit of dark fruits, and a bit like tiramisu (cocoa & alcohol). Taste meets expectations for a RIS: lingering bitterness, and a bit sweeter that some that i've had. I do like the mouthfeel on this one: just the right amount of gravity to me. No off notes to mention: cold probably use a bit of maturing.

Overall: at face value, I enjoy this. I have to say that I'd take Old Raspy 10/10 times over Ten Fidy, especially for the price. I would like to try this on nitro at some point.

ChiPool, Nov 20, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -16%

Pours dark black with a thin brown head.

Aroma is more like a Belgian strong dark ale with the scent of prunes, and dark chocolate cake.

Flavor is also more like the Belgian strong dark ale, with rich dark chocolate cake, cherries and prunes. There is a very slight roasted malt character. No noticeable bitterness.

Finishes quite dry in the mouth despite the fruit in the flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat creamy. Alcohol level is not really noticeable.

Overall a nice, surprising beer, flavorful if not exceptional.

lionchow, Feb 23, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -16.7%

Served up on tap in a pint glass, this brew pours an oily black in the dim light of the cantina. The depth of the color is a bit difficult to ascertain, but the rich mocha color of the head is a good hint. Said head is thin and fleeting however, yielding some early lacing yet surrendering such things as time moves along.

Smells of deep chocolate, carob, and roasted malts. Not much for hops yet pretty inviting, and with a notable alcohol volatility.

Tastes nice with chocolate, coffee and a bit of toasted caramel. A light bitter finish lingers given a well placed carbonation level. Offers a nice feel and drink. Alcohol is well hidden on the tongue yet notable on the nose. Not a lot of variety on the taste, but what is there is pretty good.

An Oskar Blues brew I would recommend, vs. condemn, what a concept! Not an outstanding RIS, yet decent, and worth a try. Might be better in the can if it holds the carbonation better, will pick up if I can find a single...

HalfFull, Nov 06, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -16.7%

Picked up a four pack of 12oz cans from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco, CA. Poured into a small snifter.

I feel like I am pouring a can of motor oil with this brew. Out of a can and nice, thick and black. Quarter inch dark tan head after an aggressive pour. Minimal carbonation.

Nose is pretty heavy. Alcohol is pretty well hidden for a 10% abv. Sweet roasted malts, some raisin and molasses. Quality nose with quality ingredients. Nothing over the top or real complex, but certainly not bad.

There is a smoky malt presence that dominates the mouth. Kind of reminds me of some good smoked beef jerky. Lightly roasted malts with some oak wood flavors. Tastes like it is young but would age well.

Thick, mildly viscous and very full body. Minimal carbonation. Good drinkability.

ibbjamin, Mar 27, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -16.7%

I'm generally not a big reviewer...too busy drinking these damn things.

I have not read anything on this beer but I picked it up after seeing that it received an "A" rating so with that in mind here goes....

Pours black, I mean friggin dark and a beautiful head on it. Very thick & frothy. Smells great, not overly strong or boozy. I know this is where all the hoity toity reviewers get all "presence of currants and plums with the chocolatey gooey goo filling my proboscis". I can tell you this, I have drank MORE than my fair share of stouts and this one smells like some shit I'm gonna like...REALLY promising.

Flavor:Delicious, really. Thick and creamy in the mouth very nice, thick mouthfeel. It's got all of the great flavor characteristics of thngs like the Bells Expedition and Stone Imperial Stout.

The flavor lasts in your mouth for a loooong time after swallowing this brew. The one thing is it almost tastes "hot" like I thought it may be the alcohol burn which is so strong...not like the other great stouts that I mentioned before so I am not sure.

I did not let it cool enough, probably, as I was really excited to drink this swill as I have never seen it before but had heard it mentioned so maybe that's the alcohol burn as its pretty warm. Did they brew it with chili's? That would be good to know. Things hot though. I guess if you're cold, slam a couple of these and be warmed right up.

Great stout except for that burn at the end. Anyone else get that or am I just a freakin weirdo? I'm knocking off points for that burning my throat dammit. It does leave streaks all over the glass too but all the hoity toity's like that so I won't dock it for that.

I'm gonna go with a B+ as I would drink it again but I'm not gonna drive all over creation looking for it like I did all day today. Maybe the Oskar company will re-imburse me for the gas money I blew driving a friggin Ford F150 all over and gas at $3.10 / gallon. Okay guys go ahead and send me a two six packs of that Dales that I've heard good things about and we'll call it even. Just make sure it doesn't burn my friggin throat though, okay?

Hope this helps. I'm drinking it as I write this to get the "live action" thoughts on this hence the rambling. And yes, this is my first beer of the day so I'm not loaded and reviewing (yet!) I'll see what else I can get in me this evening and maybe do a couple more reviews as I get more and more loaded. Wait until you see how my spelling gets after 6 of these!

Anyway,
Cheers!

sendsilk, Jan 22, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -16.7%

Out of the can at Leon's. Poured a thick, syrupy jet-black with a skim of a brown head that dissipated quickly and left little lacing. Aroma is a strong malty-choclate-toffee-coffee that hits the nose immdiately. The 9.4% ABV works its way into the nose at mid-glass. Mouthfeel is thick (too much for my liking) and syrupy. Taste, while reflecting the scents found in the nose, is somewhat overwhelmed by the syrupy sweetness. Finish is long, but somewhat like glue stuck inside your mouth.

Summary, while I can taste the quality, I just can't get as fired up as most for this carbonated chocolate syrup.

kimcgolf, May 27, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -16.7%

12oz can ("canned with care 12-18-09", drunk 9-13-2010) poured into Samuel Adams sensory glass. Jet black with dark brown 1 finger head quickly reduces to only a ring and film of bubbles floating around.

Aroma dark unsweetened chocolate, roasted coffee bean, mix of raisins, hops, and alcohol peeking out. Taste creamy roasted coffee and dark malt, hint of raisins and prunes, and thin sweetness trying to get through, then a taste of alcohol with a bit of a viney green hops bitterness mixing with the roasty bitterness.

Alcohol a bit warming and forward, dry finish. Low carbonation, medium mouthfeel, but not as creamy and heavy in the mouth as the color might've suggested. A bit of a rough heated finish from the alcohol. Decent, but not killer to me; probably would've liked it more if the alcohol didn't feel so harsh to me. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood...

milkbaby9, Sep 29, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -17.1%

A: pours a color like used motor oil that needed to be changes yrs ago a brownie like colored head

S: smelles like freshly made coffee, chocolate and caramel with a hint of burtn toast

T:chocolate, toffee, coffee or mocha with a hint of bakers chocolate

M:thick syrup with a creamy after math

O: makes a great beer for a fun night. wonder if it makes a great beer bread.

kittywamp, Aug 31, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours blacker and thicker than anything I've ever seen. Motor oil comes to mind. No highlights whatsoever. There's a half-finger head from an absurdly aggressive pour (about 2 feet from can to glass). Wish there was more head, it's a beautiful cedar-colored bubbly layer that sat around atop the beer for about 30 seconds. Smells as dark as it looks, with mocha, dark chocolate, and roasted grain dominating the nose. The first sip is predictably thick. There's a massive roasted barley flavor, coffee & dark chocolate blending into sort of a mocha character that finishes bitter and warm.

TJBAIHWL, Nov 08, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -17.1%

Maybe the beer was defective, maybe I'm defective, but while I didn't dislike TenFidy, I didn't like it nearly as much as many recent revierers. Everything was right there where it should be except for a raw, unapologetic wood-grain alcohol aftertaste, which took away some of the fun of drinking the beer.It is a beauty to look at and incredibly smooth in the mouth. But the final taste was just raw booze. I will try it again.

lurpy1, Apr 11, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -17.1%

I love beer trading. Ten fidy in chicago.

A- unbelievalbe. thicker than gi bcs. I mean this stuff is almost like chocolate fondue. Should almost get a perfect 5. No head whatsoever. Beer is so dark that remnants even add a tint to the glass. But enough about the longest appearance review...let's get on with it.

S- wow. i don't like this. a little chocolate but what get's me is this overwhelming tootsie roll factory smell. overpowering. different but not good.

t- not as bad as the smell. pretty well balanced more a ris at 10%. dark chocolate and bit of coffee. not much alc. considering.

m- really thick. maybe thickest beer i've had.

d- yeah,,,really not bad. typically high alc. make drinkability a negative for me. this one as said is balanced but this beer is just so much that i don't see drinking more than one.

inhoc00, Dec 13, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured hard from a can into a pint glass.

A: The color spectrum equivalent of absolute zero...pitch black. No light passes through this bad boy. Pretty headless despite the hard pour, but leaves a nice caramel colored lacing.

S: Pretty mild, but smells fairly smoky with hints of chocolate.

T: Very chocolatey, essentially overpowering any other flavor. Hints of oats and coffee. Quite a bit of alcohol taste at the end, but coupled with some fruit - banana, strawberry? at the very very end. This beer isn't particularly complex or brilliant, IMHO, just really, really big.

M: Oil. The US should drop out of the Middle East and simply brew Ten Fidy. Extremely full bodied, creamy. Quite a bit of carbonation, which is necessary to make this beer palatable. Very low on the drinkability scale, but it does feel pretty darn good.

O: A total slap in the face. A decent RIS, but it's not good enough to justify the price tag for me. The hype surrounding this beer seems to be all about its intensity rather than its quality.

tylerprince, Dec 16, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -17.1%

A jet black beer. Has a thick foamy dark brown head with some lace. The aroma starts with a solid grapefruit hop character with notes of licorice and chocolate in the background. A roasted malt bittersweet chocolate character covers your tongue. On the finish there is a hint of coffee just before a double snap of piney the citrusy hops wash down the back of you throat. Didn't really capture me as an imperial stout. But tasty none the less.

ybnorml, Feb 10, 2008

Reviewed from notes 1/17/11

A: malty, sweet, hint of some kind of dark fruit

Ap: black with 1 finger mocha colored head, oily lacing

B/T: thin, oily, smooth

Af: sweet, molasses, chocolate, coffee

O: not one on my top list of beers to have again, it's thin and has an odd aftertaste. to each their own!

Cheers!
The CPJ

THECPJ, Jan 17, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -17.1%

I've had the good fortune to try the whiskey-barrelled Ten FIDY, and while it wasn't really to my liking it didn't dampen my desire to try the original Ten FIDY - one of the world's benchmark imperial stouts. While I did enjoy my hour with this beer, it wasn't the mind blowing experience I hoped for, and I would not put in the top tier of imperials.

The appearance is classic. If there is a darker imperial stout I would like to see it. A midnight black body supports a finger of chocolate head which slowly dies down and leaves tings of lace on the snifter. A rich aroma of chocolate, coffee, vanilla and sweet rum soaked dark fruit greets the nose. Up to now, everything is first rate, and has me thinking that Ten FIDY deserves its spot in the top 100.

Its in the flavour where I feel the beer starts to lose it. While all the requisite elements are there they are overpowered by a sticky sweetness which makes the whole beer unbalanced for me. Its as if the bittersweet chocolate and rich coffee notes that are lurking underneath have been bullied to submission by an army of sugar. Its too bad, really, as I know that if it was toned down a notch I'd find this beer to be phenomenal, because its otherwise nicely balanced and full of roasty goodness. There's even a nice hop bite in the tail. The body is also spot on for the style, but when coupled with the sweetness, its heavy weight slowly becomes cloying.

I wasn't expecting this to be such a huge dessert beer, and it probably wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't already had two helpings of pie. Just too much sugar all round. Tone it down and call me back.

bobsy, Oct 13, 2009