Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Let me preface this review by saying that I had this at the Falling Rock Tap House in Denver and they charged me NINE FUCKING DOLLARS for ONE CAN. Since then I've been able to buy a four-pack for $8.49.

Hubba hubba, this is one pretty looker! This thing pours an impenetrable blackness for which there is no escape but the tan head ensconced above it. The color and viscosity are near that of a warm balsamic reduction. The Whoppers and ice cream used in the brew come through in the aroma, along with some alcohol. After all, this is an imperial stout. With its low carbonation and medium body it drinks easier than others in the style. The roasted barley hits up front with a hop bitterness towards the back, while the finish is mildly dry and pleasantly bitter.

Were it not for the persistent alcohol I would have rated it higher. I know this is partly what typifies the style but I wish it could have been covered up more.

justinmartz, May 07, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -9.8%

On tap at Beachwood BBQ (Seal Beach).

A- Poured dark brown (almost black) with a thick, brown head that lasted for most of the glass.

S- Chocolate malt with a little bit of roast and booze. Strong malt sweetness reminiscent of dark fruits (plum especially).

T- Chocolate malt and the dark fruit again. The beer is well balanced enough that the malt isn't overwhelming but it is still the focus.

M- Medium-full bodied. Medium carbonation.

O- A great imperial stout. Very well designed but a bit pricier than I'd like.

Hands22, Oct 19, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -9.8%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a dense, solid black with just over an inch of thick, deep tan head that had great retention and lacing.

The aromas were a little more subdued than I expected for the style, but still full of deep, rich roasted notes. The flavor was right where I think the style should be, plenty of the deep malts with just a slight tang of hop on the finish.

The body was also just about right for the style, full, deep and rich without being overly heavy. The drinkability is very good although, personally, I have a hard time drinking more than 2 big stouts in a row, my palate tires of them quickly.

Overall, a very good beer that's worth seeking out.

beertunes, Oct 22, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from a can into a snifter. 3rd one I’ve had out of the 4 pack…haven’t reviewed yet
A – pours a very pretty looking, thick tan head…3 fingers initially. Slowly fading down. Thick, brown/tan bubbles…leaving an ever-so-slight lacing on the side of the glass. It pours black. Can’t really describe it other than black…”the darkness is coming” indeed! Head fades into an extremely thin layer that just barely covers the top of the beer.
S – smells like a nice roasted coffee…the roasted smell almost makes me think of a burning sugar/syrup when cooking. Dark chocolate (slight hint). A hot boozy smell lingers tantalizingly at the end, hinting at the beast you are about to drink!
T – very rich flavor. Immediately a heavy roasted malt flavor hits the palette. It has a bitterness I associate with a very strong batch of coffee. Tastes like strong, bitter cooking chocolate. This coffee flavor lingers for awhile. You can just barely taste the hops in the background…a very nice addition. I normally don’t get many hops in the background of a stout. This starts out sweet and gives way to the nice bitterness at the end. This beer is delicious.
M – Very low carbonation…when you open the can you almost think it might be flat! Very thick body…smooth. I would love to try this nitro-tapped.
O – One of the best things to ever come out of a can. A tad pricey ($15/4pack), but I would say it is worth it. If I had more money, I would stock up on this and see if it ages well in the can. The alcohol is surprisingly well hidden. I normally am not a fan of stouts but this is helping bring me around. I would say this is a little heavy on the roasted flavors…some may like it, some may not. The beer is damn good but not perfect…worth picking it up and I enjoyed every sip.

Jagen, Oct 26, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

On tap at Plan B, Simsbury, CT. Served in a chalice. Inky black and opaque. Nearly no head, but I believe that's a result of a bad pour rather than a deficiency of the beer.

Low aroma of cocoa, smoke and molasses. Sharp initial flavor of burnt espresso, dark chocolate and molasses. Some bits of marshmallow come through, followed by a charred oak finish. The ABV is relatively hidden except for some warming of the mouth and cheeks mid sip, and some vapors that make their way slowly up the back of the nose.

Moderate to low carbonation, smooth mouthfeel but not too bubbly, not a great deal of body. This is a tasty beer and pretty drinkable, but IMO it's being elevated a bit by the hype it's been generating.

far333, Feb 27, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

12oz black label can with the motto "Half-Baked, Fully Roasted". Not dates, poured into a snifter.

A: An extremely dark (read black) thick beer with a dark tan head that really sticks to the glass.

S: Chocolate milk, seriously. Not an overpowering nose, but malty sweetness in the form of milk chocolate. Mild crisp hops balance it out.

T/M: Thick and rich. Palate is dominated by the roasted coffee beans with a chocolate backdrop and the finishes with a nice little hoppy bitterness and smokey fullness. Hints of dark berries contribute to the chocolate sweetness. Alcohol is detectable throughout but not in an obscene way. This is a heavy beer with more carbonation than I expected considering the style. Nice warming effect with the alcohol.

D: A definite "occasional" beer, and by "occasional" I mean on the occasions when I can find it. A slow sipper but a good one.

FleeVT, May 17, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

It's fair to say this is the darkest beer I've ever poured out of a can.

The pop-top crack is not followed by the usual canned beer fizz. Instead slowly rising from the depths of the can a very fine layer of deep brown bubbles emerge. Of course once poured into a glass these bubbles transform into a beautiful fine layer of head that retains quite well floating atop a pitch black base.

The sweet aroma produced from this glass is a mix of malt and alcohol. The taste and mouthfeel are difficult to parse as Ten Fidy thoroughly coats your mouth and the malty sweetness is balanced by dry dark malts and a touch of bitterness. One sip leaves an almost syrupy coat over your tongue. If you open your mouth you will be greeted by a hint of alcohol as you inhale.

All in all this is a very tasty Stout and well worth trying should you cross paths with one. While there are hints to the potent nature of the alcohol in this brew, while drinking one it's hard to believe it is 10%..until you've managed to have a few.

BittRnessabounds, Mar 30, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

12 oz. can poured into a goblet.

Appearance - One of the blackest stouts I have ever seen. No light, not even as I poured it, passes through. It fills the glass with a slight chocolate head that dies down to wisps of bubbles and hints of lacing on the glass.

Smell - Roasted malts, sure. Chocolate, coffee. But what I am most surprised about his the light hop aroma. Definite citrus aroma to it that really manages to be stronger than the other aromas.

Taste - Much more stout-like than the aroma. Chocolate and coffee again. Some of the lighter malts come through as toffee and a slight fruitiness, but more of a dark fruit. It's consistently bitter throughout. Perhaps oppressively so.

Mouthfeel - Not as thick as I'd expect. Fairly light bodied for such a big stout. No booze in it, either. The bitterness is a detractor though.

Overall - I have had this a few times and always enjoyed it, but never thought it was as good as the ratings suggest. Definitely a quality and easily obtainable stout, but my money would go to Old Rasputin before this. I also have a few older cans that I'd like to try. I'm hoping the hops will fade a bit to let the malts shine a little more. We'll see.

Alieniloquium, Dec 08, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Finally reviewing (while watching BEER WARS!)

Appearance: Pours very dark with possibly the darkest one finger head I've ever seen. Head slowly dissipates slowly and leaves a whole bunch of lace.

Smell: Not overpowering, but a bit of coffee and chocolate, even a bit smokey. Although overall not too powerful.

Taste: I get a lot of chocolate up front, then a malty background overwhelms the initial flavor and leaves a slightly licorice flavor. But I kind of feel that big malty flavor just stripped me of that nice lingering espresso/choco/smokey/etc flavor that makes me love a RIS.

Moutfeel: Heavy, but not as huge as Rasputin or Stone IRS.

Drinkability: I can definitely take down a bunch of these, but for the price, I think I'll stick with my favorites.

Notes: Overall I like this beer, I really do...but It doesn't really catch me the way others have. Will I recommend it? Yes, but after I recommend others.

BigIrishman, Mar 28, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance - Pitch black. Even when thinned, it's black. The head is practically black. Quite easily one of the darkest beers I've ever seen.

Smell - Roasty and dough-like, almost burnt, with just a touch of sweet molasses. Almost smells like burnt coffee with a few sugars in it when it warms up a bit.

Taste - Dark roasted coffee, chocolate cookies and burnt toast immediately spring to mind. Not much sweetness here, with earthy hops providing even more bitterness. Sharp, burnt bitterness remains on the palate long after you've swallowed. While this is easily one of the most imbalanced imperial stouts I've had, it's damn good. The dryness is almost refreshing, making this one dangerously drinkable beer.

Mouthfeel - Full-bodied, viscous, moderate carbonation. Definitely not lacking in texture.

largadeer, Mar 07, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Picked up a pack from Rick's Wine and Gourmet in Alexandria, VA.

Pours an extremly black color with the outer edges looking see threw brown, reminds you of motor oil. The head formation is a thing of beauty as it forms with out any help. The head formation was great for a RIS and any other brew honestly. Afterwards lace surronds the glass the entire way down. Smell was not very strong and did not contain the strong coffee or chocolate scent. To me it was a very light chocolate aroma, which by no means is bad. First sip is great as for most RIS's in the 10% alcohol range to me are sippers due to the strong flavors. This is a roasty chocolate RIS with a light hint of coffee coming threw in the background. The flavors are not extreme and do not over power your taste buds, which makes it a nice over all drink. The brew is extremely smooth and the alcohol content is almost no where to be noticed. Though once you are done you will feel that 10% sneak up on you.

Great brew that I will continue to stock.

BZero007, Jun 30, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

a: pours a motor oil like black color, with a nice two finger tan head that slowly disappates to a small lacing

s: eh, not the best nose on a RIS i've had. chocolatey nose. some roasted malts. not much to write home about.

t: delicious. great chocolate and roasted malt flavors. definitely on the sweet side, but it's definitely well balanced. the ABV is very well hidden, but still gives that great warming effect on these cold winter nights.

m&d: nice and smooth. drinkability is great too. the fact they're in cans is great, too.

well worth checking out.

tzieser, Jan 18, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Found single cans at Capone's in Norristown.

Appearance: Normal pour into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass yielded a small, 1/2 finger tan head with little retention. Decent lacing. The blackest of black that let through no light.

Smell: Not much aroma to it, unless you really get your nose up in it. Some chocolate notes, a touch of vanilla as well.

Taste: Some dark fruit notes, as well as chocolate notes, dark roasted malt notes, vanilla, maybe a little coffee bean flavor. Some sweetness to it that builds as it warms but is pretty well balanced with the roasted coffee backbone.

Mouthfeel: Very very smooth. Creamy. Thick. The best part of this particular beer.

Drinkability: As with most, if not all stouts, its a sipper. Pretty filling, but I could definitely have more than one in a sitting.

My first taste of what Oskar Blues has to offer, and I'm impressed. One of the better RIS's i've had.

Ezekiel81923, Jan 15, 2009

Poured into a snifter.
A - Pours a very dark black with a two finger medium brown head.
S - Chocolate, malt and a little bit of coffee.
T - Very smooth with a malty backbone and a little bite.
M - Medium bodied with a fairly high amount of carbonation.
O - An above average stout with a medium amount of roast and not too much hops.

kdahnke123, Mar 31, 2014
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

This beer is like a milkshake in a beer can. What I mean is that it is very drinkable as far as the 10.5 ABV, but after you finish one it feels like you just drank a milkshake especially if you had any food at all with it. I do like this beer a lot, but after having it a few times whether it is out of a can on tap or from a growler, I highly recommend someone just having this for the night and sipping it to truly enjoy what this beer has to offer. I also wish it was slightly more affordable than $14.99 per 4 pack.

mcgwire756, Jan 09, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2009 vintage poured from can into wine pinot glass.

A-Jet black as everyone else would have guessed, but also one of the thickest stouts I have had. It didn't want to come out of the can and stuck to the inside walls of the can. Really dissapointed that there wasn't as much head as I was expecting, but it did have some light lacing.

S-Best thing about this beer is the sweet mocha and chocolate smells. Definately a nice stout smell of roasted malt, espresso, dark chocolate, some milk chocolate, anise/licorice.

T-Pretty good on the taste, you can definately taste the citrus from the hops in this which I think will calm down after a year or two of cellaring. Taste resembles the smells but I just don't think they are as intense, again I will age and try again later.

M-Good carbonation, definately a big/heavy/viscous beer that is very creamy on the mouthfeel and the alcohol is definately evident but is not overwhelming.

D-Good but there are many other stouts out there that I would rather drink but still it was good and easier to finish than a stout bomber.

Schmaltzy, Nov 06, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Extremely excited to finally try this one out! Pourd from a can into a shaker pint. Pours out like good maple syrup, slow and steady. Produces a wonderful looking creamy tan/brown head that looks like you could float a quarter on. Smells of burnt malts, smoke and some vanilla light at the end. Taste is sharp for a syruppy beer. Nice chocolate and molasses flavor with a bite. Not my favorite style, but this one can grow on me. Beer mellows a bit as it warms- I think it took my 45 minutes to down this one. Great beer to sit by the fire with!

DrDogbeer, Mar 25, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

A- On pour a thick black liquid resembling dirty oil is released into my pint glass. An inch of dark brown foamy head appears at the top of this beer. The color of this beer in the glass is black, no light gets through this beer at all. Good head retention with moderate lacing.

S- This beer has many complex aromas. Coffee, Dark chocolate, molasses, brown sugar, ginger bread. Some alcohol is present as well even through the dark sweetness.

T- Dark chocolate, roasted barley and molasses. This beer is very roasty, at times its almost like eating burnt toast. There is some good sweetness up front then a wave of roasted barley then again sweet then the roasted barley comes back and sticks to your tongue. Some hops come through at the end and there is also some alcohol warmth.

M- It is not as thick as I thought it would be based on the pour. This is still a full bodied beer, quite thick, little oily. Good carbonation and hops give it some bite at the end.

Overall- This is a pretty good imperial stout. Maybe a little rough around the edges but it is still pretty good. Though it comes in a cute 12 oz can this one will take some time to drink.

br3wmeister, Jan 22, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a pitch black with a creamy, tan head. Lacing sticks to the side of the glass all the way through. Smells of honey and toasted bread. Taste is richly malty, with a smooth roasted bitterness in the middle. The finish is lightly bitter, with a hint of earthy hops. The finish is also slightly metallic likely from the high alcohol levels. Mouthfeel is smooth, very rich, with nice carbonation levels. Drinkability is pretty good, being 10 percent abv makes it tough to drink more than one can at a time. Not my favorite RIS, but a very good beer, and definitely worth a shot for lovers of the style.

tronester, Apr 01, 2009

12oz can, 9.4%

Pours an oily black in color, hardly any light gets through this one. A small tan head rests a top. Big nose, lots of roasty malts and whiffs of alcohol. Big sweet burnt malts invade initially, fruity mid palate with a bright hop character on the finish leading into a drying alcohol wave. Good weight to its body, low carbonation makes it feel 'bigger' than it really should i think, very good drinkability nonetheless. Im not quite sure this one lives up to the hype behind it but Ten Fidy is reasonable in price and definitely worth trying.

ATPete, Feb 08, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

One of the few out of region brews that we are lucky enough to have in the Pittsburgh area.

Appearance is a very dark and viscous looking brew. Carbonation was not present when opening the can, but managed to pour it into a small head anyway that gave way to a crown with decent lacing.

Nose is a lot of chocolate up front, toffee, caramel, and cream. Very nice in hiding the alcohol.

Taste is pretty good, disguising the alcohol well but surprisngly not very bold. The same tastes are what was present in the scents.

Mouth is great, pretty heavy in body and light in carbonation.

Drinkability is good as I would have this again, and it's novel to have a high quality brew in a can, however for your Russian imperial stouts, I may shop around a bit.

sonicdescent, Jan 08, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

This one glugs, glugs, glugs out of the can a dark ruby/obsidian black with a nice small tan head of foam. Aromas are run-of-the-mill imperial stout with no real stand out aromas to mention. Dark fruits, chocolate, coffee, maybe a bit of toffee or caramel in the malt backbone. Anyways. This is a ncie smooth, yet big and bold imperial stout. A bit more raw and less refined than I usually like them, but than again it is nice in it's own way. The mouthfeel is thick and coating and the drinkability is good, but not the best because honestly this has all been done before. Stilll, for a canned imperial stout, this is pretty damn good !

francisweizen, Nov 16, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from the can into my 16oz. snifter at around 54 degrees.

A: This beer pours as thick as any I've seen, literally has the appearance of low viscosity motor oil. Thick 1-finger head leaves a light lacing.

S: Nose is a delicate, sweet dark and chocolate maltiness, with a faint alcohol. Robust aeration releases some dark fruits.

T: Sweet chocolatiness up front with a dark, bitter finish. I don't know if that's an anise spice in there toward the back, but the transition from sweet to bitter is REALLY nice.

M+D: I frankly was very surprised after the pour at how drinkable this beer was. That's not to say, however, that it's at all quaffable. Thick and syrupy on the tongue but not on the back of the throat. Thin carbonation propagates the viscous flavors nicely, but I'm probably looking to move on after twelve ounces of this bad boy.

Overall a great selection for the start of a Christmas evening. Drink it slow, and it opens up in some style as it warms.

misterdmac, Dec 25, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours as black as possible with a chocolate milkshake colored head. pouring something that looks like this from a can is quite an experience, its very odd to say the least.

aroma isn't the strongest, some vanilla, coco, and roasted malts.

Flavor is very balanced, balanced between roasty and sweet. i could see this being a RIS anyone could enjoy. Vanilla & carmel on the sweet side, with dark coco and italian roasted coffee on the bitter side.

This is the Gulf of Mexico in your mouth. Straight up Oil on your pallete.

Pretty drinkable, but not overwhelmingly so, the balance keeps it from getting cloying, but this isn't the type of beer that screams at me for another one, more like the kind of beer i'll have one of over an hours time.

ChadQuest, Jul 10, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass

A) Thick, motor oil, jet ink black color. No light shines through little head that fades immediately.

S) Bacon (smoke), coffee, dark chocolate, roasted barley, licorice

T) Dark chocolate, strong on coffee, smoke aftertaste, soy sauce too

M) Thick, almost like a batter

O) Yeah it's very good, but I think Founder's RIS is better especially for the price for four cans.

NewGlarusFan, Nov 06, 2013