Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,376 | Hads: 8,797
2.08/5  rDev -51.7%

This beer pours thick like gasoline, and I must say it tasted like it as well. Way to syrupy and bitter for my taste. Couldn't detect any distinct flavors.. just thick and bitter.

The level of carbonation was not great either. Just a thick, cloudy, syrupy mess. I would not have this beer again, and I would definitely not suggest this beer to anyone. (352 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -47.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a jet black with a thin half finger nestle coca colored head that has only a slight retention that dissipates rather quickly leaving a rim that hugs the edges of the glass. Nose of sweet cocoa, espresso, slight caramel, and a bit of dark fruit. A tad earthy with a slight grassy hop presence.

Roasty flavor up front falls quickly into a bitterness that stings the tongue. Intermingled are bitter nestle cocoa, sweet molasses, and a sharp bitter coffee bean flavor that reminds me of dunkin donuts crappy iced coffee. Bitterness is fucking acrid and quite unpleasant. I was hoping this to have a lot more lactic smoothness, but there is no milkiness here, only a sharp bitterness. Roasty coffee flavors take over the aftertaste and leave the palate quite dry. Hints of caramel as you exhale strongly through the nose.

I'm not sure all the hype surrounding this beer is warranted. I've had PLENTY of better imperial stouts. (929 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -43.6%

Lightly chilled can into a glass. 2009 vintage. Purchased on sale at $10.50 a four-pack -- appropriate price. But with the price increases and my changing palate, it's almost certainly the last time I'm buying this beer.

A: Pitch black, completely opaque when held to the light. Reminds me exactly of used motor oil. A mildly vigorous pour produces several inches of fluffy, chocolate-colored head. It recedes very slowly into a halo and broken film on the top of the brew, with little lacing down the glass. Very captivating for a 10%er.

S: Dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, and vinous dark fruit, like raisins. The fruit is restrained, so it doesn't add a tartness to the aroma.

T: Follows the nose, but brings out some flavors I couldn't detect in the aroma. This beer is nearly sickly sweet. Dark chocolate, molasses, raisins. It has a light earthy bitterness and some smoke, but not a hell of a lot of balance. It ages nicely, but fresh this doesn't distinguish itself from others in the style.

M: Velvety smooth, creamy, and full-bodied. Low carbonation, as is appropriate for the style. A little alcohol burn (not warmth), but it's mostly well-masked. I love the toasty exhalation that follows each sip.

D: I opened one with largadeer, who wound up leaving early and making me finish the can on my own. It was very hard. That, and the price increases, and my decreasing tolerance for sickly-sweet RISes, have made me a little tired of this beer overall. I don't see myself buying this again. (1,512 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours pitch black with plenty of creamy dark head The appearance of this brew is outstanding.

S: Smells of chocolate, roasty malt and some creme/coffee. Alcohol bit is apparent in the nose.. wow.

T: This takes a strange strange turn for me... at cold, cool, and even warmer temperature. Tastes like granny smith apples and alcohol. Chocolate and roastyness are like 10% maybe of this beer. This is wild.

M: Full and complex. But still a perfumey-fruity odd flavor that just doesnt fit for the style to me.

I feel let down by this Holy grail stout. Dissapointed. Sad. Oh well. Oskar blues needs to tweak this one. Too fruit/ester/off flavor-y for me. Oh well. (668 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -40.1%

the OB website says this is called Ten Fidy because of the ABV level. but both the can and this website say the ABV is 9.5%, so maybe they need to change the name to Nine Fidy. this one was "Canned with Care" in Nov 2009.

took this out of the fridge for about 30 minutes to let it warm up. not a single hiss when i open the can and it pours pretty flat with probably the most nonexistent head i've ever seen on a stout. completely completely black.

aroma and taste is stone fruits, dark chocolate, a little smoke. the alcohol is there too, and it's a little too hot for me. there is that textbook RIS stickyness. i could use some more carbonation to liven up the tongue and make things less syrupy. i'm glad i tried this one but i won't be going back again often. (765 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -40.1%

This is by far the biggest, most viscous, syrupy, blackest, and roastiest beers I've had. The line about "would you like a fork with that?" might actually apply to this one. Not dry at all, it just lays there on your tongue. Alcohol taste is there but not objectionable. Can't imagine what the original gravity is for this one. I just bought one can to try it, don't really see myself getting this again. Trying not to be too hard on the score since I don't want to be judging the style vs the beer, but this almost didn't seem like finished beer, more like dark malt extract. (576 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -39.4%

It was ok and weird at the same time. In many ways you really couldn't put your taste buds on it.Drunk from a chilled point to room temp with a heavy alcohol after taste.Almost like a thin winey stout I got used to it in the end and at 9.3 per can its a fast buzz. (264 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -38.5%

"Canned on 10-12-10", consumed 7/30/2011. Once again I am convinced that Oskar Blues just sits on shelves in FL where I bought this single.

Also on the can under the canned on date: "4th time's the charm?"

Huh? No explanation, and the usage of the question mark alone is enough to annoy me.... whatever.

A - Poured into a snifter. Very thick, I mean, really really damn thick. I took a lot of work to get a short head, but when I succeeded it was a dense fudge color and very short lived.

S - Dense, rich roast. Not much going on beyond that. Maybe some burnt brown sugar.

T - Roast and ash. Cigarette butts - this is actually the first time I have wanted to use this descriptor. There's a bit of fruit on the finish (plum and raisin).

M - Bitter, thick, and quite boozy.

O - Boy do I not get the hype and praise this beer gets. So far I am not all that impressed with Oskar Blues. This was simply an unpleasant beer to drink. (933 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -37.4%

Aromas are extreme. Coffee, chocolate, roasted barley, and dark fruit for sure. I got no indication that this was going to be a booze bomb in any way. As a matter of fact, I was amazed by how disciplined the brew was in terms of tempered balance between the ingredients.

The taste is syrupy, thick bodied, more so than I would prefer, with tobacco flavors, masking the alcohol well, some malt, with a good finish. There is also a very nice smoked meat/sausage quality on the finish which is great. I would like this more if it wasn't so syrup/thick in consistency. A miss for me to be honest... (595 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -37.1%

A: Pours dark black with off white head. Long lasting head moosey head which slowly dissipates.

S: Roasted and borderline burnt malts dominate. No hop aroma and no diacytel.

T: Roasted almost burnt dark malts dominate. With out hints of other flavors. The finish was alcoholic.

M: Slightly astringent roasted malts finishing with a high degree of alcohol warmth that lingered into the finish.

D: I drank this beer on a 10th mountain division hut trip in the rocky mountains. After carrying this beer 13 miles into the woods I was disappointed by burnt and alcoholic flavors. For me this style should be be about roasted malts with dark fruit or chocolate flavors and slight alcohol warmth. This beer did no have those characteristics. (738 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -36.9%

2011

Appearance: The most insane pour I've ever seen…pure motor oil. Black and thick as hell.

Smell: Smell is not huge. Chocolatey, roasty, cherry, licorice, and lots of alcohol.

Taste - Follows the nose. The strong licorice flavor and the overpowering booziness makes this not that great.

Mouthfeel: Very thick.

Overall: I was really excited to try this beer but I was extremely disappointed. I hate licorice flavors in imperial stouts and hate when you can taste the alcohol and you could REALLY taste both in this beer. It overpowered everything else. Not a fan. (575 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -36.7%

I don't get it. People hold this up as a holy grail stout. It didn't even taste like stout to me. It didn't really taste like beer. I can't figure out what it tasted like but it was a taste that shouldn't be in a beer. Not quite fruity - maybe some kind of perfume? It wasn't necessarily a bad taste but I guess it's like when you go to take a sip of your coke and you're thrown off for a second because you had forgotten you were actually drinking iced tea. I loves me some RIS but this one must be an acquired taste. I've never had anything that tasted similar. I wouldn't order it again. (590 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -34.6%

Appearance - incredible appearance, sure it's an imperial stout, but, the head is totally dark like the beer itself...

Smell - It smell like something burnt... no issue, it's full of chocolate malt, heavy smell, but a bit frightning...

Taste - bitterness is not really present, it's totally hidden by the roasted barley or malts, for sure it taste something... too much i may say.

Mouthfeel - it really feel thick, too thick, it's incredibly long and tastefull.

Drinkability - certainly not drinkable, take a 33cc can for 2 or 3 friends, it's too much heavy in mouth, not refreshing at all (even from the fridge). (618 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -33.9%

dark dark dark brown body, small head, small bubbles.

the smell is of half-composted melon rind, perhaps a banana peel that has slowly browned on the countertop for a few days, booze, some maltiness below. not impressed. really hoping for something better in the taste.

taste follows the smell, but has more roasted malt characteristics. could belgian yeast be causing the rotty fruitiness? not sure. no indication from the can. its the only positive excuse i can think of. "average" for an ris in my experience is exceptional for beer in general. this is definitely below that average.

mouthfeel is smooth and moderately thick, great.

the rotten fruit is really bugging me. i dont remember it from previous tastings, so ill take that into account. but its odd that it comes when im first taking notes on it. this was the second disappointment in a row after founders breakfast stout came through with charry, ashy, and bitter characteristics that i didnt recall from past experiences. if i find on future tastings that these characteristics were specific to the can i shared last night, ill alter my scores. but this one was a strange disappointment. (1,156 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -33.2%

Split a 12 oz can two ways, poured into globes. Canned 12-22-2008, reviewed 11/4/2009

Ar: Very sweet, smokey/roasty, earthy, coffee roast, chocolate, sweet citrus and fruity hops, molasses, alcohol, vanilla/cream like sweetness, caramel, tangerine

Ap: Black, very low tan head, fair retention, no lacing

F: rough dark malt, very sweet, burnt grain, coffee roast, caramel/honey sweetness, molasses, earthy like burnt wood, sweetness dominates the taste throughout, light fruitiness, hop citrus, toast crust, balance is strongly to sweet and more to malt than hop, low/no bitterness

M: thick, low carbonation, full and heavy, alcohol warmth, cloyingly sweet

O: way too sweet, aftertaste is very good but sweetness makes it difficult to drink (744 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -33.2%

Sampled at Sexual Chocolate 2011.
Pours a deep dark black color with a thick brown russet head and a good amount of lacing. Smells of roasted malts. Tastes of roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee. Mouthfeel is medium and has a little carbonation. Drinkability is low because of the heavy booze flavors. (302 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -33.2%

Reviewed 11/6/2008 (Tap @ Flying Saucer, Houston, TX): Pours an inky black hole color body. Big tan head, good lacing, somewhat diminishing. Coffee alcoholy aroma, dark fruitiness, some dustiness. Coffee taste, watery, hot. Dusty. Warming up...Still a little hot, dusty. Malty, dark chocolately taste. Eh, not a fan. (316 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -32%

12oz can -> Cigar City Snifter.
Canned on 10/9/2010
"Who does #2 work for?"

A-> Jet black, viscous oil that looks thick and syrup-like in texture. Very thin wispy. film of a head appears briefly but very quickly disappears.

S-> Whoa! Bitter Baking Chocolate dominates first and foremost. Smoky and robust malt aromas are also present. Some sinus-clearing booze is also detected.

T-> VERY BITTER, like unpleasantly so for the first few sips before my palate adjusted. The bitter bitter baking chocolate taste dominates through the middle where finally a toasted grain and smoky malt flavor becomes apparent and finally finishes with a tiny bit of hops and sweet, metallic-esque taste on the back end. (Full disclosure: This beer did improve significantly for my taste after it had warmed and I had consumed about half the can...Also got some molasses as this warmed)

M-> Would have liked just a scootch more carbonation but otherwise this is a full bodied brew that finishes. Maybe that would have helped or hindered the astringent-like feel I got from the alcohol, who knows....

O-> Overall, I'm really not sure why this beer garners so much of the praise it receives. Maybe it is better fresh? Or with more age on it? Not sure. What I am sure of is that this was far too bitter for my liking and way too overdone on the chocolate. I didn't get any of the coffee notes others were finding. I wanted to like this, I really did as I enjoy Imperial Stouts quite bit...I just couldn't force myself to enjoy it....it got a little less harsh on the bitter chocolate as it warmed but then the booze just took the reigns from there. Either something was up with my can or I just don't care for this brew. Different folks have different tastes and I just don't share others infatuation with this beer...I can think of a handful of RISs that I would rather have for less dough. I will have to revisit this in the next winter but for the absolutely absurd price I really don't feel compelled to do so... (2,015 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -31.6%

Recomonded by a friend.

Pours a nice head. Off white and 1 inch thick.

Smells of malts, hops and a hint of chocolate.

Tastes a bit thin for this style. A bit stale. chocolate, coffie and maybe even burnt malts present.

A thin mouthfeel for this style..

This was a decent beer but did not want to finish it. (315 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -31.3%

I REALLY want to like this beer more. The look is AWESOME, with a dark brown head, about 1/2 inch high, leaving a cap and lace all the way down. Darkest head I have ever seen on any beer. Pours thicker than any beer I have ever had before, much like a 30W oil, AFTER months in the engine.
Aroma is great, EXTREMELY roasty, with burnt notes. There is some notes of higher alcohols in the nose, but they blend well with the roast.
Flavor is where this beer falls apart. HUGE notes of fusel alcohols, and I am expecting a big headache from this. The higher alcohols form a hot, astringent character on the tongue, very slightly overwhelming. The roastiness and malt is great, but the fusels are too much.
I recommend sharing this, as 12 oz seems way too much. (758 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -31.3%

I don't have a whole lot of experience with imperial stouts, but I will say this one reminded me a lot of drinking a Baltic Porter(i.e. Okocim and Zywiec). Very similar sweetness, that I don't actually enjoy very much. Its true the alcohol is hidden pretty well, but the taste just isn't doing it for me. Very nice appearance with a nice tan head. In the flavor, I was getting a little fruity nuttiness. A little roasted chocolate taste as well. Just overly sweet in my opinion.

Would make a nice dessert beer either paired, or by itself as it is a pretty heavy brew. As someone else mentioned, I just wish they could have gotten a little more hops in this, and toned down the sweetness, or something to balance it out a little more. Mouthfeel had a nice quality, definitely appropriate for the style. However the taste and drinkability were lacking; those are kind of important. I know this is a sipper, but I will go as far to say that this was cloyingly sweet.

Obviously I am in the minority here, seeing all these other reviews. But I am comparing it to other Imperial Stouts I've had, so who knows. (1,106 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured from can. This was black in color with very fine brown bubbles that dissipate quickly. The nose is quite hoppy with grapefruit clearly poking out along with dark chocolate. The grapefuit edge makes this very strange for me. There is more of the same in the mouth with the grapefruit, sour cherry and dark chocolate lingering to a bitter finish. (351 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -29.7%

Pouring this out of an aluminum can is like adding a quart directly into the engine block: black, viscous, and almost menacing-looking. It's a bit more beer-like when a hint of fizz climactically escapes the top. Oddly, the fizz quickly fizzles; the small, Sprite-like bubbles diminsh back into black. This beer is solid black.

I detect some aluminum in the smell--not like a contaminant, but the near inevitable residuals you get from those containers. There's also anise, as is characteristic of most Russian Imperials. Other than that, there's nothing. It's like liquid anise within a watery black nothingness. It chugged out of the can like thick broth, but its smell is simple and thin.

It tastes eerily like it smells. The anise adds a licoriceness to an aqueous solution containing aluminum. It's simple--and not bad--but simple--and underwhelming. The feel is thin and watery, and the metal has absolutely impacted the taste. I've had some Surlys about which I didn't feel this way, but the taste and feel is just beyond Guiness. I actually wonder what this'd be like from a nitro-can. Though it tastes better and stronger than a Guiness, it's status is similar: a genuine stout that meets but fails
to exceed expectations. The feel, particularly for the style, is lacking because it's so aqueous. Sometimes I've wondered about the "chewy" designation on mouthfeels; this one, clearly, is far from chewy.

Drinkability is that most subjective notion where we consider things like experience and price. At $14.49/4-pack, my lasting thought involves this costing more than FBS. As the template for stouts the Ten Fidy fails to compare. Though this beverage is far thinner, I'd easily and enjoyably down two FBS before I'd consider reaching for this. With no prior attention to the malt liquor-like marketing ("Ten Fidy--Half-Baked. Fully Roasted."), perhaps my expectations were falsely elevated. In fact, the more I ponder it, the more the marketing strikes me as apt: this is like the malt liquor of Russian Imperial Stouts. (2,037 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -29.7%

First I must say this in not my style and far from it. I am trying many new beers and this review is IMO. This is a big beer that looks good. Had it on tap at Capone's.

This beer smacked me in the mouth and overwhelmed my taste buds. Others tasting with me loved this beer. I am trying. Even for its class this beer is a mouthful for sure.

If you are into RIS, this is a beer you should try.
Later (400 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -29.2%

A: ultra dark brown, just a shade lighter than black; filmy deep brown head; some spotty lacing
S: coffee, fibrous
T: almost a vegetable roast, like coffee and celery, deeply woody, Interesting, for sure, but not necessarily "good."
M: dry, medium-bodied
O: Surprisingly unimpressive, given the other ratings. I questioned myself the entire time, but this is really the vegetarian entree of beers. If you've been looking for a celery stout, look no longer! Your prayers are answered.

12oz / Snifter / Victoria Gastro Pub, Columbia, MD (535 characters)

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew