Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. It is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,438 | Hads: 9,094
4.66/5  rDev +7.6%

12 ounce can acquired in a trade with drseamus, thank you very much for including this in my package

Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter with a pitch black color, a medium brown frothy head that was a inch tall and mellowed within a minute or two, left huge amounts of lacing the entire way through and was particularly sticky

Smell was very malty, some chocolate, toffee, caramel, also some dark fruits, raisins in particular, some charcoal-like aromas, smokiness, smelled like something had been burned, did not smell anything that would make me think there was a large amount of hops in this one, finally a lot of roasted barley

Taste had a massive coffee flavor that provided a fantastic dryness at the end of every sip, also tasted cocoa right off the bat with other sweet malts, faint bitterness at the end differentiated this one from other RIS brews, could not believe the syrup-like texture of this one, really looked and felt like oil, this one was creamy just like I prefer my stouts, not too sweet and a great overall balance, taste got more distinct when it got warmer, took about an hour to drink this one because I wanted to savor it, the java from the beginning is untouchable in my opinion, extremely tasty beer, again how did this come out of a can, cannot go wrong with the chocolately coffee taste that ends with a dry malty finish, just the right amount of roastiness

Not much carbonation at all, but one of the thickest and fullest bodies I have ever seen, even more so than the Kentucky Breakfast Stout I just drank a few days ago, very nice mouthfeel with a taste that just did not seem to go away

Could drink this all night or until the ten percent bit me in the behind, although it is super heavy and I could see it getting filling after a while, perfect dessert beer though, one of the best Russian Imperial Stouts I have ever had right up there with Dark Lord from Three Floyds

First beer from Oskar Blues and it was amazing, I think it grea that they have been canning all their beers for over five years now, cannot get over how a beer in a can tastes so good, yes this one was better than the two Surly beers I had in a can this past year, the best canned beer yet, I could not recommend this premium beer any more, do whatever you can to get one and you will not be sorry, now if only I can try the bourbon aged version of this

4.66/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From notes on 3/30/15

On tap at Oskar Blues. Big thick dark body. Huge roasty chocolate, leather aroma. Just as big of a taste. Big, almost tobacco like flavor. Lots of roasted chocolate.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

pours slurry black out of the can with a mocha head that doesn't linger. brown lacing down the pint glass

smells of rich coffee, chocolate, roasted malts, vanilla. very sweet. very nice.

dark coffee, bittersweet chocolate... a little acidic. as it warms, the alcohol is more evident. the more I drink, the more the hops become evident on the aftertaste.

full-bodied beer that is thick on the tongue. light carbonation but works for this stout

never tasted anything quite like this. excellent beer. definitely the best stout I've had to date. on my top 10 list of all time!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a balloon glass.

Look: The body is as black as midnight and the head is a thick dark mocha color that doesn't recede. Beautiful bands of lacing coat the glass.

Aroma: Dark roasted malts come to the front with traces of rich, bitter coffee afterwards, and also a kiss of black licorice.

Taste: Really bitter and rich, with bitter chocolate and coffee stealing the show. The alcoholic bite in the finish adds some peppery heat.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and dry.

Overall: This is what an imperial stout should taste like.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

It's fantastic that Oskar Blues is available in Boise again.

A- Motor oil with a three finger head the sticks around a bit with dark lacing.

S-Sweet roasted malts and alcohol. Mild chocolate nose.

T- Sweet roast malt, chocolate, boozy, great imperial stout. Very mild coffee acidity/bitterness in the finish.

M- Thick, syrupy, medium carbonation. mild alcohol burn.

O-Excellent beer. I've been craving a good imperial stout this spring for some reason and this really hits the spot.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Nice deep black with no head and very little lacing and some nice swirls going on in the center of the snifter.

S: Coffee and a little big of chocolate hiding in there.

T: Like it smells. Very coffee like with some roastiness to go along with it.

M: Medium to full bodied and creamy.

D: I've got to enjoy Ten Fidy a couple times before but just scored a 4 pack from bhalter8 (thanks again Ben!) and thought I should review it. I wish I could get this stuff around here. I love that it comes in a can and I just love this beer!

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours dark as dark can be. Thick, tan head lingers a long, long time. Aroma of dark chocolate, malt and sweetness.

Taste is outstanding. Bitter chocolate and roasted malt, caramel and little molasses sweetness. Great body and mouthfeel that coats the tongue, with a slightly sweet, chocolately finish.

Photo of
4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

2009 Fidy on tap at The Tasty Weasel OB Tap Room.

a-black and thick looking with little head. No lacing, head dissapated quickly.

s-roasted malts, hop smell had faded away. The chocolate malts were big in the smell. As the beer warms, the smell opens up slightly.

t-smooth, and rich. The alcohol has faded away, but the hops still have some life. The malts obviously are king in the taste. Really well balanced for being two years old. Lots to think about still in the aged version of Fidy. This beer has responded well to time.

m-just what you would expect in an imperial stout.

o-great treat at OB's. Really glad I had the chance to try this beer. Really good example of how this can age well in the keg. Hope it's still there next time I go!

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pitch-black body with a decent, rich, thick light brown head. Currants, deep roasted grains, bitter chocolate aroma. Powerfully rich malt flavors; deep and robust; milk chocolate; really nice alcohol warmth throughout; lightly perceptible bitterness near the finish. Heavy body; silky smooth.

An incredibly well-made stout. Immense balance and complexity throughout and a real joy to sip.

Consumed 10/22/10

Poured into a Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster pint glass

This is one of my favorite imperial stouts ever, and it's about time I review it.

A: Pours black like oil, with a huge brown head. Maybe it's my aggressive pour, but is this lacing from a high ABV stout? Interesting.

S: Roasted nuts dipped in vanilla and rolled in brown sugar. Dark chocolate and a hint of coffee.

T: Dark chocolate, espresso. It's like taking a bite of a dark chocolate brownie with toasted nuts inside.

F: THICK. I hear Dark Lord is thicker, and I don't doubt that, but I can't imagine how it could be more viscous than this. Full and creamy, oily coating everywhere.

D: Ridiculous. I bypass the buzz and almost always drink two of these (making sure not to step foot near heavy machinery).

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

A - pours like motor oil into the glass, small dark tan head does not hold up, a little lacing

S - lots of fruit and roast wafting from the glass, slight char/smoke, big and bold,

T - dark fruit sweetness to start is quickly whisked away, BIG creamy roast, lots of nuts (almonds?), decadent dark chocolate aftertaste that just goes on and on

M - velvety smooth, thick, lucious, low carbonation, NOT syrupy, big beer, but smooth alcohol

D - powerful flavours, but still incredibly smooth

Wow, I really like this!!! I've drank my share of good to great imperial stouts and this one really stands out (Bells Expedition would be the other). Huge roast, and incredibly thick, yet somehow has great drinkability.

Wish I had more than this 1 can. Thanks to Viggo for sending it my way!

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Every time I've had this beer I've been preoccupied to do a real review! I picked up a 4pack after a long, cold day in the Chicago weather to warm me up. Poured into a pint glass and enjoyed.

A- Poured black, with some light being able to refract some dark brown color on the edge of the glass. This thing is really dark! When poured, big bubbles of foam, equaling around 3 fingers worth of dark caramel head was present. However, there was not much retention, but some spotty lacing appeared.

S- Initially I got a scent of booze, but I then got smells of baker's chocolate with some burn malt that was highly defined. This all ended with a smell of burnt sugar that made this thing smell pleasantly sweet, but complimented with the alcohol and bitter burnt malt.

T- Smooth and sweet baker's chocolate, followed by some sweet toffee. Ends with some bitter coffee and malt flavors that make this oh so enjoyable.

M- Moderate body for an IRS. Nice and smooth with a little amount of carbonation. Ends with a nice warmth down the esophagus.

O- This IRS is to die for. This beer is highly drinkable yet very complex. The great thing though is it's not too complex and I can drink a 4 pack of this in one session it's that good. It also isn't hot on the tongue but you do feel that nice warmth down your esophagus. Just a superb beer.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks to Rutager for this one.

A: Minimal head over black liquid.

S: Coffee, toffee, toasted malt and yeast.

T: Yeast, coffee, toffee malt up front and toasted malt and some alcohol taste on the back end. Very nice.

M: Extremely smooth, with a medium to thick viscosity and a low level of carbonation. Very slight drying from the alcohol.

O: An extremely drinkable Russian Imperial Stout, my sole complaint is that it could have a better mouthfeel from having a higher level of carbonation; which would give it a better level of head as well.

4.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: Pours a thick, gunky black body with very creamy, very dark brown head. Check that out, huh?

Smell: Lush aroma of dark, hefty maltiness. Plenty of sweetened espresso, molasses, and rich fudge brownies that've been slightly undercooked so that they're still warm and gooey in the center.

Taste: All at once, a thick, rich maltiness engulfs the tongue. Its definitely sweet. Chilled fudge-flavored pudding with a side of roasty espresso and a pinch of chalk dust. The long, smokey-sweet chocolate laden finish is simply heavenly. Hey, is this thing tasty, or what?

Mouthfeel: This one's full-bodied for sure, with an exceedingly creamy carbonation and a somewhat oily body.

Drinkability: This is one outrageously flavorful, exceedingly well done brew. Almost too much fun for one beer. Fantastic work, Oskar Blues!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served on tap at the brewery in Lyons, have had this since canned as well

A - Jet black oil slick with a 3 finger tan fluffy head with excellent retention and sticky lacing. Like a sexy simple black dress, this beer is working the glass.

S - Extremely pungent rich dark chocolate notes with espresso coffee notes you'd except in a RIS and a healthy dose of booze, sweet vanilla and caramel mingle with the aforementioned notes.

T - Yum, the chocolate is bittersweet and wholesome and fills the palate right before coffee notes and a bit of vanilla, malt, oak, smoke and a touch of earthy bitter notes touch the tongue and diminish as warming booze replenishes the soul. This beer is too complex, is too aromatic and pretty to drink from the can.

M - Full bodied, moderate-high carbonation, slick, oily, thick mouth feel with appropriately loud warming booze.

O - My favorite canned RIS, equally excellent on tap and among the best showing from Oskar Blues. This is one hearty beer with complex chocolate flavor and great balance.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

Ten FIDY, how I love thee. I've had you from cans in my Great Divide ballon glass at my house in Austin. I've brought you as my "I'm a badass" beer out of a can while floating the Comal River. Now, I had a 2009 version of you at the Falling Rock Taphouse and I couldn't help but review you (served in a St. Bernardus chalice).

This beer is always shockingly beautiful. At the tap house, it came without much of a head, but it had an impressive oily layer across the top. This beer looks like the death of light. I feel bad for any beams that happen to cross its path. They will never escape the black hole that is this beer. When I've had it at home, it produces a nice light brown head with some tight bubbles. If I could give this beer a 6 on appearance, I wouldn't hesitate.

This beer is a toasty behemoth. Smells like chocolate and burnt goodness. The hop presence wasn't there as much for the 2009, but it's definitely there when I've had it at home. You can tell from the nose alone that this will be a huge beer experience.

Thie taste is surprisingly balanced. Always roasty as all heck, but not overpowering. The 2009 had a great dark crystal dopplebock type quality. Mmmm.... fruity. The booze isn't hidden here. The hops always show up to the party in the fresher vintages. Just well balanced and inviting. It's not the ass kicker that the smell and look suggest, it's much more of a sensitive, but powerful force.

The high booze feel gives it a great thick and warming quality. Excellent for a 10 degree winter night. The beer works its way around, coating my whole mouth. Such a great feeling. While it's a huge beer, I never have a hard time finishing the glass / can and I would never mind getting another (unless it's already warm from being in the sun on the river :) ).

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance - poured from a growler into a Duvel tulip glass. This beer looks amazing. Black with a light chocolate looking 2 finger frothy and creamy head of deliciousness!

Smell - chocolate, malt.

Taste - this is a very delicious stout.

Mouthfeel - thick and creamy the way a RIS should be.

Overall - an amazing stout, top 5 that I have ever tried.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

I tried this for the first time last night. It was nothing short of amazing. It had an amazing texture, very smooth and velvety, without being overly viscous. The flavor was intense, without being overly rich. That being said I tend to avoid stouts due to the aftermath, but please give me more!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz can poured into a goblet. Canned on 11/26/12.

Appearance: The color is an opaque, impenetrable black. There is about 1 finger worth of a tan head off the pour, which recedes to a foam on top leaving a ring of lacing on the glass. The liquid looks very thick and viscous when swirled around the glass. Good retention of the lacing, sticking to the glass and leaving alcohol legs as the beer is agitated. A very good looking imperial stout.

Smell: On the nose, there is an immediate sweetness that invades the nostrils. The sweetness is joined by notes of chocolate and dark fruits (raisins and figs) as it lingers in the nose. I also pick up some hints of roasted grains and breadiness, almost resembling freshly baked cookies as they mix with the sweetness. At 10.50% abv, some hints of alcohol are also present in the aroma. A very complex aroma, seeming to unlock more of the grain notes as it warms in the glass. Generally on the sweeter side, which is just fine with me.

Taste: There is a slight sweetness as it hits the tongue, gradually morphing with the milk chocolate and fruit tastes that were present in the aroma. As it remains on the tongue, a bitterness sets in, leaving tastes of roasted grain to hang. This fades into a bitter, roasty aftertaste on the tongue. Considering the abv, the alcohol flavor is well hidden. Very delicious, layered flavors to this one.

Mouthfeel: Similar to the appearance, it's very viscous in the mouth. It feels very thick as it swishes through the mouth, coating the tongue and palate and cheeks as it travels through. The heavy feels matches well with the lingering tastes that remain in the mouth. The alcohol is much more present in the feel, leaving a warming on the tongue and throat during the swallow.

Overall: To me, this is very much what I'm looking for in an imperial stout. The sweeter notes fit well with my tastes and makes for a very enjoyable beer. This is personally one of my favorites, and I try to always keep some on hand. It is a little on the pricier side at $15 for a 4 pack in my area, but in my mind it's well worth the price. I would highly recommend trying this one.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can dated 8/29/13. Poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: Viscosity appeared thick while pouring out the can. Jet black in color and a half inch thick dark brown foam. The foam just looked so rich and edible. Like you could take a spoon, scoop it out and you'd think you'r eating milk chocolate.

Smell: Intense notes of sweet malty chocolate. Unfortunately I have a cold so it's a bit hard to pick up the specifics. But I have no doubt, that this is a beer you'll want if you crave a chocolate stout.

Taste: So sweet, malty, and rich. Seriously taste like a liquid dessert. The sweet chocolate is just so profound it screams at your taste buds. No hop profile or strong bitterness detected except for a little bit at the finish. Its like a dark chocolate where the sweetness overpowers the bitterness, yet you still pick up a touch of bitter.

Mouthfeel: Rich, creamy and full-bodied.

Overall: outstanding beer. It's fourteen dollars a 4 pack but that's still cheap (and a steal) compared to those RIS in bombers.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

A- Thick, black, with a beautiful milk-almost-dark chocolate colored head with great retention and thick lacing.

S- roasty, malty, coffee, chocolate, sweet dark fruit.

T- Taste is simply fantastic. this beer is THICK, extremely thick, creamy and rich. chocolate chocolate chocolate, more chocolate, and malts. bitter roasted coffee finish on the back of the palate (doesn't last for long). the aftertaste is of sweet longing for more.

M- ridiculously thick and chewy. grab a knife and some A1 and you can eat it like steak. one of if not the thickest beers ive ever had. great. smooth as all hell.

D- its hard to stop drinking, because its so damn good. but it is so damn thick that you not only feel it slowly making its way down, but it settles in your stomach like an oil spill in the ocean.

Best beer from a can i've ever had.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

A- damn downright darkest foam i've ever seen. no pssht when i popped the can and at first i though something went wrong and there would be no head but it kinda formed on it's own with awesome cascading effect. body is absolutely pitch black with no highlight at all. the head on this one is dense like a half cooked light chocolate cake. it seems to lighten in color a bit as it slowly recedes, takin on the tone of chocolate mousse or hot cocoa. remarkable retention as well for a beer so high in alcohol, but i'm guessing there's enough hops and grain in there to keep it solid and dropping some seriously nasty lace.

S- sweetly smoked and incredible. chocolate milk, cocoa and coffee hit the nose right away followed by smoldering pecan wood and the dried mellow aroma of figs and dates. smells so roasty and savory that notes of smoked pork shoulder rubbed with brown sugar and black pepper come to mind in the midst of pungent charred grapefruit and oscuro and maduro ciga wrappers. a floral pineapple lily apple whiff of alcohol is present, but neatly tucked beneath the blanket of roasted malt aromas.

T- dark chocolatey sweet from start to finish and long into the finish for that matter with the damn near exact flavor of lingering 80% cocoa melting softly over the palate. it's sweet like extra dark fudge brownie sweet, but by no means is it cloying or sugary. the full deep roasted flavor is so intense, backed by resinous hop bitterness against the burnt wood bitterness, the sugary isn't even an option. alcohol aromas appearing as the brew warms reflect on the taste as well, intensifying the dark fruity tart side of the flavor profile. think lemon, orange, and grapefruit rinds along with figs, dates, and black currant all left to pickle in a jar of molasses, burnt mixed nuts, charcoal, a pinch of salt, and a dash of balsamic vinegar. that's the best way i can describe it. lit oscuro cigar, damp wood, rich black soil, sandalwood incense, super strong espresso, and burnt pork. keep in mind that while all this is going on, dark chocolate flavors are unabated and continuously present, contrasting and complementing every subtle nuance of this insanely complex craft beer from a can. another puff of smoke on the swallow, and an extremely long finish of all the tastes above fading to penetrating hop flavor.. to roasted.. to dark chocolate.

MF- slow lazy lethargic carbonation, as if the bubbles just can't push through the turgid sludge to make full contact with my tongue. they feel like stomping bubbles marching over a blanket of gel, their impact significantly reduced. thanks in part to the addition of oats, the body is creamy beyond words-- like melted chocolate and whole cream and so decedent and rich and warming that this could seriously be an ice cream topping. drying on the cheeks thanks to massive alcohol (their website states 10.5% which is appropriate) and sticky on the lips thanks to the abundance of malt sugars and microscopic particles. there's alot of thanks goin on.

D- i couldn't have another one of these right now. one is enough. i need something that will wash the much of my palate. nevertheless, the complexity of flavors and the feel of this brew keep me comin back for more. the smoky dryness and sticky graininess incline me to take sip after pleasurable sip to relieve the roasted condition of my lips and cheeks but the only that could do that would be a toothbrush and lots of toothpaste. so in that sense, one can is entirely drinkable and in many ways too small, but this brew is too rich and powerful to be anything but a treat for me.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

Unlike other reviews, I poured mine into a tall glass and got a 2 inch head that was colored brown. The beer is so dark you can't see through it. It tastes thick and chocolatety with a slight bitterness from the hops. A big, full body beer at 10.5 abv which masks the imperial booziness under thick layers of complex dark malts. A worthy addition to the imperial stout line. Seek this out.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

pours pitch black with a thin medium brown head, smells like a floral chocolate milk, an inviting one anyway. nice thick mouth-feel, and a flavor of chocolate malt, minor hop flavor, and a hint of caramel. the scary thing about it, is it drinks like milk, skim milk, in other words far, far too easy for it's abv. wonderful brew don't pass it up.

4.68/5  rDev +8.1%

Thanks goes out to ArrogantB for this brew.

Pours a deep black color, very nice carbonation, huge two finger creamy tan head, which leave some awesome sticky lacing. The nose is big on malts, toffee, chocolate, nice slight vanilla, and caramel. The taste is absolutly delicious, malty/toffee/chocolate, nice little bit of sweetness, and some caramel. The alcohol is hidden extremely well, could drink a few of these easy. Full-Medium body, a well rounded brew. Very drinkable, very smooth, this is an exceptional brew, highly recommended.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew