Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,387 | Hads: 8,855
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A strong arm of a stout. Love affair born? Yup.

My first sip of this beer was on draft at LA's Fathers Office, however I only like to review a beer whileI am drinking it. Next came my county wide man-hunt to find this bad boy. After a cruise to huntington beach (followed by lunch at Beachwood BBQ), I was able to stock my fridge with 8 of these bad boys. I cracked one open while preparing some ribs for a "family" cookout and the first sip was just as good as i remembered. I credit Craftsman with making room on my IPA loving palate but I have to credit Oskar Blues for teaching me that love is real. If that can had arms, I'd hug it.

Even gave a taste to my Dog Archie. He wanted more. (691 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: Midnight and black magic. Scientists studying dark matter should examine the contents of this can. Head? What head? We don't need no stinkin' head!

Smell: Like a chocolate malt. Nothing more needs to be said.

Taste: At once chocolatey and roasty. Closest correlate is Ghiradelli's Bittersweet Chocolate gracing a fantastic mocha cappuccino. Coffee finish with slight savory undertones.

Mouthfeel: Just enough carbonation to remind you that you are not, in fact, chugging a chocolate coffee shake. Smooth like Billy Dee Williams.

Overall: Until I get me some whales, this is the standard by which all other Imperial Stouts shall be judged. (654 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz can into a Duvel tulip. Thanks to DoctorDog for hooking me up with this not so little gem. Can is black and silver with the image of the sun rising over a mountain. Bottled on 10-30-08 printed on the bottom along with the cryptic phrase "Who does #2 work for?"

Appearance: Looks like pouring motor oil in to a glass. Pours with just under 1 finger of dark brown head. This settles slowly, eventually dropping to a ring around the glass and a small island of foam above the nucleation site. The beet itself is black, completely and absolutely black. No sediment remains in the can.

Smell: Rich, sweet malt aroma with hints of molasses, figs, and tobacco. Alcohol is present in the finish.

Taste: Building flavor upfront, comes at you gradually rather than suddenly assaulting the taste buds. Strong flavors of licorice, molasses, and dark candi sugar. Alcohol is hidden very well, considering the 10.0 % ABV, but is barley discernible in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Slightly lower than average carbonation level, as expected for this style. Body is incredibly thick and clinging.

Drinkability: A wonderful sipper, too bad it doesn't make it to Ohio. I would love to age a can of this and see how beer in cans ages. (1,247 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Quite simply the finest stout one can ever hope to come across in this life. Words do not do it justice. So while I can wax poetic about its oil-like pour, the alluring brown head, the notes of chocolate, coffee, tobacco, and what can only be called ambrosia, and the smoothest, richest mouthfeel this side of Kathmandu, I'll refrain, and return to enjoying this true nectar of the gods. (387 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Once you go black, you'll never go back!

Pour- I poured into a pint glass out of the can. The reviews were right, looks like motor oil!

Appearence- Couldn't pour very fast as it was the consistency of motor oil. The head was almost non-existent, but with a few swirls, a tiny, chocolate milkshake-like head appeared and remained. Of all the stouts I've reviewed, they all have had a reddish tint around the edges of the bottom of the glass...NOT THIS BEER!!! Completely black all the way through, and the head looked an orangeish, blood-like color through the glass ( Looked like a chocolate milkshake without looking through the glass). I put my finger in it out of curiosity and had the consistency of a milkshake as well.

Smell- chocolate and maybe molasses. Very sweet aroma.
Taste- syrup. Full bodied all the way across the sky! Again, like I was drinking a milkshake. Heard it referred to like drinking cough syrup. Very fulfilling and enjoyable feel.

Aftertaste- I don't know cuz I'm drunk! Nah, it was very smooth and laced your tongue and throat with a nice chocolate flavor saver.

Conclusion- Toughest looking stout I have ever seen. The Ten Fidy looks like you're getting ready to be beat into a gang. It's a no bullshit stout. It just about stained my pint glass. It turns Guinness into bud light, and makes all other stouts into it's prison bitch. If Old Rasputin is the pretty alpha whore, Ten Fidy is Clint Eastwood. (1,436 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: My God, it looks like motor oil as it pours out of the can. Blacker than black and thick as molasses, this is without a doubt the darkest beer I've ever seen. It's like a black hole, absorbing all light it comes in contact with. In the glass, it pours a very minimalistic deep-caramel head with half-decent lacing and retention.

Aroma: If you melted a bar of dark chocolate and mixed it with a few drops of pure hop oil and a shot of ethanol, this is what it would smell like. Powerful is somewhat of an understatement.

Taste: Pounds of dark-roasted, bittersweet chocolate malt condensed down into an aluminum-wrapped twelve ounce serving. But don't be fooled into thinking this is just a one-dimensional beer. Somehow, the maniacal brewers have found space in the can for a big wall of hops. How can a beer as big as this seem somewhat balanced? Madness. As you'd expect for a beer in the double digit ABV realm, the booze likes to raise its voice. As it warms, it kicks your ass more and more.

Mouthfeel: I've compared other beers to milkshakes before, but they all seem like water compared to this. This is simply massive and smooth as all hell. The booze makes itself known in your throat.

Drinkability: You'd have to be some sort of God/lumberjack hybrid to be able to throw this back with ease.

Verdict: Ten Fidy is an experience, to say the least, and the best Russian Imperial I've tried yet. A massive body with a brilliant malt profile and a nice flourish of hops. If you like Russian Imperial Stouts whatsoever and can find this in your area, buy it. If you can't find it in your area, move. (1,619 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%

"this dog'll hunt." -Side of the can

Thanks to Vasdef42 for this extra!! Beer karma coming your way.

A: Pours a pitch black color that produces a deep, rich, ruby- truly evil looking head that reaches four fingers. Lacing is cathedral effect along the glass. This is perhaps the most beautiful/ ominous looking brew I've ever seen! A masterpiece

S: Burnt malts, chocolate malts, toasted barley, tons of hops (98 IBUs!), bitter sweet chocolate, molasses, and a smokey note that lingers. A king! (or should I say czar)

T: Super hoppy! Tons of chocolate, coffee, molasses, and some alcohol as the temperature warms. I must say, I am not a huge fan of super hoppy RIS's, but this one has changed my perception. Perfectly balanced.

MF/D: Very velvety, chewy, oily, with the consistency of motor oil. A little bitter to finish, but nicely balanced.

I must say, it is easy to pass these stupid, cheap looking cans when you are beer hunting if you aren't familiar with OB, but ALL of their beers are extremely delicious and I think the cans add charm and personality to their products! Well done! (1,094 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 12 oz can, served in a pint glass.

A- The body is the closest thing to motor oil that I've seen in a beer. The brown head is only about a half-finger high but it looks thick.

S- The first thing I notice about the smell is the chocolate. It smells thick, sweet, and rich.

T- The chocolate is still noticeable, but is balanced out by caramel, coffee, and smoky awesomeness. This is an absolute treat.

M- Full-bodied as full-bodied can be. Creamy and thick. The brew sticks to my entire mouth and there's a nice burn from the alcohol at the end.

O- This is well worth a try for every aspect of the beer. Ten Fidy fires on all cylinders. This surpasses Old Rasputin for me. (688 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

picked up a 4-pak in hudson..poured a thick black velvet creamy blanket with black cherry sticky lacing and ring.. canned on 102709 ..the smell was chocolate with dark fruit and molasses/ amaretto smells along with fig and coffee..the taste is malt/roasted coffee and sweet and creamy chocolate that fills the mouth and senses with flavors of currant fruit and toffee a little caramel some hops all blended for a superior and smooth RIS..this is one of the best in the US..as it warms as im writing this it just gets more complex in the layers of flavors and just gets very smooth and creamy..highly recommended (611 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%

I was in Boulder at the Liquor Mart back in "07" and Oskar Blues was there doing a beer tasting. They said to me "would you like to try some local craft beer"? I said "no thanks, I don't like canned beer". Their response was "These cans are made by Ball Areospace and have a polymer liner. Light and oxygen are harmful to beer, and you can take it with you when camping"! I was impressed so I had a taste. I did not think I liked stout until I tried Ten FIDY. (459 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Great stout that is very oily and rich. I like when stouts are oily because of the coffee flavor and feel that they bring. This is great also as a flout because of its viscous and think pour (190 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Ten FIDY out of a can (my first can review!), bought for $3.50 at New Beer Distributors in Manhattan, New York.

I used to drink this beer fairly often but have not had it in a very long time. I did have, though, and not too long ago, both the tap and whiskey-barrel versions at Max's in Baltimore.

Appearance: Served in a Sierra snifter, the can pours out a super thick and viscous, somewhat flat and devilishly black liquid. Probably the thickest Imperial Stout I have ever had. Comes with a 1/2-finger head that dies quickly, leaving a coffee-colored rim around the glass. No lacing, no retention, minimal carbonation. This is up there with the biggest stouts and bourbon-aged beers.

Smell: Truly outstanding, with even bourbon overtones, plus lots of smoke, dark coffee, dairy, burnt sugars, roasty malts, wood... imagine all the aromas you expect in an Imperial Stout; FIDY has them all, and then some.

Taste: Thinner than nose, I would suggest letting it warm up before sipping. In the mouth, creamy chocolate dominates, followed by some vanilla notes at the very end. Finishes thick and dry, prompting me to sip on something else- water! Smoke is present too, as is wood again. Truly amazing to think all these outrageous flavors came out of a CAN. Dark sweetness, hoppy bitterness around.

Mouthfeel: A little thin for the style. Smooth, creamy, low carbonation, medium body, full flavor. Good but not on par with the rest of this amazing beer.

Drinkability: WOW! Who would have thought a huge Imperial Stout like this would drink so well and easy?? It is poundable...

Yes, this is my favorite Imperial Stout. EVER!! I think I like it better canned than on tap, and definitely better than the whisky-barreled version. (1,737 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a thick syrupy black with a nice caramel head that is gigantic.
Smells of chocolate malts, some serious roasting goin' on here!
This is probably one of the best stouts I have ever had... Has a large amount of chocolate taste to it a little coffee and some major roasted malts flavor.

VERY GOOD! Got it from a friend who was under the impression it was a Pale ale, hope he isn't too disappointed. Doubt he will be! (420 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Black opal pour, topped with a chocolate malt looking head, some chunks of foam come out.
Complex, yet simple array of aromas come through. Roasted malt, coffee, toffee, some dark chocolate, dark soft fruit, raisins...perhaps a bit of caramel.
Taste; one of the best RIS I've had. Those aromas melt well into the taste. Nothing slips past, nothing overpowering. Some sugar-cane or rum is detected in the alcohol, a bit sour as well. Very nice.
This one is great. Got Fidy? (472 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Pitch black with a light brown head that dissipates leaving a ring of foam that cascades down the sides of the glass.

S-Big time chocolate, then some coffee, brown sugar, and alcohol. The nose is pretty complex.

T-Similar to the nose except more complex. Flavor is dominated by chocolate, then brown sugar, a touch of coffee, and alcohol. So complex and so delicious.

M-Thick as it looks when pouring, which for the record is like motor oil, and very rich.

D-This is a sipper all the way given its high abv. and amazing complexity.

This is a beer to be savored. It lives up to the hype and the somewhat hefty price tag. I highly recommend it to lovers o the RIS style. (675 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Appearance - I totally agree with what others have stated, this looks like motor oil coming out of a beer can. Black with the slightest hints of brown on the edge. Darkest head I have ever seen in a thick brown mess - though there's very little of it even with an aggressive pour.

Smell - Smells a bit like a sweet rum mixed with some Chocolate. There's a tiny bit of coffee and even something I can only think is raisins.

Taste - Hmm... Chocolate, coffee, licorice, raisins, and toffee jump out you, and even the rum makes a slight appearance in flavor (perhaps I have rum on the mind or something... I sware its there though!) The bitter is very well masked in this one by the wide array of flavors, its only when you try to describe it to someone to you realize you have to include the bitter in there. (I let my girlfriend try it... bad idea.)

Mouthfeel - Viscous. Thick. Motor Oil? Despite there being very little in the way of a head, the carbonation is definitely present, though properly subdued.

Drinkability - If it wasn't for the in your face alcohol kick, this would get straight 5s. Its just a little too much to make this an "easy-drinking" beer. That being said, its still a very approachable RIS, and one that needs no help in finishing (unless you are trying to finish the whole 4-pack.) I'm not the biggest RIS fan, but this is one helluva brew.

Note: Check out your glass after you take a sip. This brew turns the side of the glass brown for a minute. Talk about thick. If there was such a term to describe it, I would borrow one from wine-lingo: legs. (1,576 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned on 11-11-10, this Ten Fidy pours a thick, syrupy black, with a light brown head that is well-retained and provides pretty good lacing. Sweet licorice aromas blend well with a big malty backbone, molasses, and a hint of nail polish? Big roastiness out front, with dark chocolate and light smokiness pushing into a slight hop bitterness in the background, with a slight alcohol burn in the finish. Very low carbonation helps the big and creamy full body of the Fidy take center stage in this easy to drink 10.5% Imperial Stout. (532 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%

A: This is a sexy bitch. The monochromatic can announces this beer is all business, and it pours like bitumen (see link) http://www.theviewfromthepeak.net/images/thicktar.JPG. I've only been a time or two, but the dark side of the moon is also a fair description. Combined, the can and the beautiful pour make you eager like prom night.

S: Sweet, molasses, raisin, with a hint of a spice I can't identify (anise? clove? nutmeg? I'll go with anise). Hops are there, but you have to be looking for them.

T: Delicious! Malty, rich chocolate, raisin, with a hint of coffee, but not as much as others of the style. Yummy yum yum. 98 IBUs, so the hops are there, but are completely overpowered.

M: This beer made sweet, sweet love to my mouth. It was caring and gentle, and kind enough to linger for awhile after we were finished.

D: Not much, although I just cracked open another one. Looks like another trip to the dark side of the moon may happen tonight!

This is officially my favorite RIS, with sincere apologies to Rasputin. Velvety, rich, knock-you-on-your-ass powerful, it's sex in a can. I've been a member of BA for awhile now, and it was so good I had to honor it with my first public review. (1,204 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an oily, viscous black with probably the darkest head I've ever seen on a beer- morethe color of espresso than crema. The head seems to fade a bit quicker than on the draft version. On the nose are notes of fine, vinous chocolate, a deep roastiness, and long bitterness with hints of coffee waftinf in and out. Very nice. The flavor is a knock-out. Big flavors of bitter chocolate, espresso, a massive roastiness, long complex vinous notes and a gritty cocoa powder finish. Just magnificent. Huge mouthfeel, a bit grittier than on tap- it lacks a little of the creaminess of the beer served that way, but huge, with a bitter and vinous finish that goes on for a long time. Just as delightful as the first time I had this. Wonderful stuff, and my absolute favorite beverage for a winter camping trip. (805 characters)

Poured from a 12 oz can into a founder's snifter

A- Pours pitch black with a dark brown head. Head quickly dissipates and forms bubbles around the sides of the glass. Nice lacing.

S- Smells of vanilla and sweet coffee. Dark fruits also present... The vanilla aroma may have to do with the nearly two year age of the beer.

T- Vanilla and dark roasted chocolate arrest the palate. Nice and creamy with a bit of a bitter hop finish. Great balance and character.

M- Thick and chewy. It's creamy throughout with little carbonation as the style warrants.

D- Good drinkability despite the chewy thickness. This is a soul warmer. I would love to try a fresh one of these. (671 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%

This beer has a rich flavor with heavy chocolate notes and hints of coffee. The blend of malts balances the flavor and while the beer is high in alcohol content there is little to no heat on the pallet. It has a full body mouthfeel and a sweet aftertaste that lingers. An exceptional Russian Imperial. (301 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz can poured into a Spiegelau glass. Canned on 10/4. Consumed on 10/12.

A - Appeared rather viscous during pour from can to glass. Deep brownish black with a cinnamon colored head. Gentle pour yielded less than a finger of head. Quickly dissipated. Lightly carbonated. Light splotchy lacing which fades over time.

S - Vanilla, heavy cream, anise, and toasted malts with some acidic coffee astringency. Alcohol notes, but not boozy.

T - Rich in flavor. Coffee, toffee, toasted malts, caramel, vanilla, nutmeg, and amaretto. Pleasant alcohol notes. Some tartness initially, but fades quickly with a slightly bitter finish. Completely hides ABV.

M -Perfect sipping beer. Silky smooth. Lightly carbonated, perfect for style; slight tingle on tongue. Slight stickiness... reminiscent of a good eggnog. Very warming.

O - Wow. Really enjoyed this beer. Perfect cold weather beer. Perfect mouthfeel, rich flavor, and very warming. Still can't believe this is 10.5%. A complete package... can't understand why it isn't a top 20 beer on BA. Has my highest recommendation. (1,072 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a can into a pint glass.

A - Looked like I was pouring motor oil into a can with absolutely no head with a little brown lacing. Very nice looking despite that it's so thick looking.

S - very complex smell. Lots of malty, chocolate, and espresso smells. They all hit you at once and its very nice.

T - tastes just as complex as it smells. Those same smells show up in the taste. Lots of malty, chocolatey goodness. Great.

M - almost a creamy feel. Little to no carbonation. really smooth and then you get the bite from the alcohol at the end.

O - I was a little intimidated by the look of it coming out of the can but man, it turned out great. (664 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Ten fidy is extraordinary. The blackest of black with a dense brown head that smells like a smore that was hit with a blowtorch. Appearance smell-wise it is not very different from other RISs, but its taste sets it ahead of its kin. Very rich chocolately and coffee flavors, both of which have sweet AND bitter expressions coming through depending on whether its on the front of your palate, swished around, or the lingering swallow. Its body is dense but has a luxurious, velveteen texture. The first sip literally gave me goosebumps. This beer has "quality" written all over it. Props to Oskar Blues for shunning microbrew conventions by putting such a grand masterpiece in a can. (682 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Found this at a Whole Foods in the Short Pump section of Richmond.

The color could be none more black. The smell is is slightly alcoholic but not off putting. Notes of roasted malts and chocolate dominate the rest of its scent.

The mouthfeel is like velvet, very low carbonation as it should be.

The taste is of sweet and roasted malts but nothing too harsh. It finishes without any burnt tastes at all.

I love imperial stouts and have been waiting to try this one for a while. It definitely lives up to its reputation. This is easily in my top ten now. (561 characters)

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew