Join our email list →

Colorado, United States | website

Russian Imperial Stout | 10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. It is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,483 | Hads: 9,327
4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

This is my first craft beer from a can. Exciting! Poured into my otter creek pint glass.

Appearance: Pitch black. Pours like used motor oil out of the can. Thick tan head, generous lacing.

Smell: Sweet. Dark fruits. Raisins & plums. Chocolate. Where's the alcohol?

Taste: Seriously, where's the alcohol? It must be hidden behind that sweet taste of roasted malts. Nice chocolate taste but the raisin dominates. I love it.

Drinkability: This is probably the first and last RIS that I will give a 5 to drinkability. The thick, creamy, chewy body's alcohol is so well hidden you'd thick you were drinking chocolate milk. This beer is absolutely amazing.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a 12oz can into a St. Feuillien chalice.

A: Pours a shade of black resembling pure, unadulterated evil. Slinks into the glass like thick oil. Covering this is a 1 1/2 finger, dark tan/coffee colored head that's very creamy and rich and sports excellent retention. It slowly recedes to a slight skim and leaves an ornate lattice-work of lace in the glass.

S: Huge aromas of dark fruit, coffee, dark chocolate, burnt/blackened malt, booze, toffee, and hops. Smells very sweet with a distinct bitter edge.

T: Tastes much like it smells. Burnt malt, dark roast coffee, dark chocolate, dark fruit, toffee, rum raisin bread pudding, chocolate covered cherry, spices, and a touch of citrus and pine. Very nice and slightly hot boozy flavor.

M: So thick, oily, and incredibly coating. Huge sweet fruit, dry/roasty malt, and spicy/bitter hops make for such an interesting adventure. Finish lingers forever and continues to evolve, running the gamut from sweet, dry, bitter, spicy, and back again.

D: I drank this on an empty stomach and was surprised at how "non-invasive" the alcohol was. I found this to be supremely drinkable and one of the most enjoyable Russian Imperial Stouts I've ever had the pleasure of drinking.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Two fingers of frothy milk chocolate head sit on top of this monstrous goopy jet black body, receding slowly and leaving dots of lace behind. This is a fantastic looking imperial stout.

So rich and so complex in the nose. I get heavily roasted malts, sweet burnt granola, very dry dark chocolate, alcohol soaked cherries, overly ripe plums, and hints of coffee beans. Well rounded and incredibly inviting.

Slick and smooth sweet milk chocolate glides across the palate alongside a pleasantly roasted malt character. Sweet dark fruits peak through about midway in at the front of the tongue and remain there for some time. Burnt sugar cane comes through just before a perfectly rendered dry and unoffensively bitter smokey and roasted malt finish.

The mouthfeel is an experience in itself. Full bodied, frothy, and velvety smooth. Well balanced seems to be an understatement. It's scary how easy this beer is to drink with next to no trace of the high ABV. If I could give higher than a 5 for this category, I would.

I had high expectations for my first time trying this and they were easily exceeded. This is by far one of the if not the best RIS I've ever had. It doesn't destroy your palate with gigantic, mouth puckering notes of one thing or another. Instead, it's extremely well balanced through and through while still being incredibly flavourful. I'll have no problem buying this again, and again, and again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to RoBotGod for this beauty.

Poured from a can a none-more-black with a thick rich chocolate malt head.

Aroma of chocolate, dark fruits, molasses, nuts, and booze.

Tastes of dark chocolate, dark fruit, and roasted malts. Noted lots of hops in the finish. The alcohol is in there and it shows.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, slightly slick, and mildly carbonated.

This is quite the enjoyable RIS from Oskar Blues and perfect for a cold snowy night. I'll definitely have this one again when given the chance.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Very thick pour, completely opaque, very small head, but it's the darkest foam I may have ever seen. Smell is fantastic! Lots of sweet roastiness, some chocolate and light coffee with some brown sugar and burnt caramel in the background. This beer completely loaded with chocolate milkshake flavor, it's pretty sweet, with a very nice roastiness, some light bitterness in the background, and just a touch of roasted coffee beans. Flavor just coats the mouth, one of the thickest stouts I've had and is up there with some of my favorites. Alcohol is barely noticeable and I find myself drinking this one a little fast because it tastes and feels so good! A+ indeed.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- After a strong pour down the middle of an oversized wine glass (really need to buy stout glasses) I was left with an impressive head that receded slowly. Lacing is impressive.

S- Powerful and enjoyable, I can't quite figure out what I'm smelling but I'm glad that I'm smelling it.

T- This is where this stout pulls away from the rest of the crowd. I am getting more of all of the flavors that I like in a stout. I'm definitely sensing a chocolate presence.

M- Smooth, sticky, and straight up awesome for a 10.5% ABV stout. It has a little fizz but it's not distracting from a perfect drinking experience.

O- I waited to review this until I had my second can. I'm glad that I did because in the interim I read the BA section on proper beer serving temperature. It took me 40 minutes at regular room temp (approx 70) to get this to 50 degrees. It was worth the wait. The first can was enjoyable but served at proper temp, this stout is outstanding.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured straight out of the can and man was this stuff incredibly dark.

For starters, the appearance was very dark, almost black with a nice frothy, light brown head. From the get go, this stuff clung to the side of the glass and never outshined its color...a very thick treat waiting to be taken!

Smell was very rich in roasted malts and cocoa. Needless to say, there was a very strong aroma to go along with the froth and thickness this stout carried.

Taste was magnificient. The aroma of freshly roasted malts, coffe and cocoa were the primary flavors that came throughout my serving and yeah, this stuff was very top notch. An excellent bargain.

Mouthfeel was very thick, very complex, and very satisfying. I can't get enough of this stuff, as it goes down nice for a thick stout, but either way, the flavors are a must with the overall thickness as well. Very pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Drinkability is without a doubt the best thing here. I will definitely recommend this stuff not only to my father (who loves stouts) but all of my beer drinking friends. What a great brew!

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Really bugs me that this is $4.50 a can in my local beer stores selling singles. Bugs me even more now having finally had it and very much being as close to blown away as compared to my expectations, which wrote this off assuming multi-faceted hype.

At my local, this was listed at 9.4%. Wonderfully woven in. Coal black with a virtually everlasting dollop of chocolate-mousse-y shaded foam - it does eventually settle out, but leaves a hot-cocoa-y swirl in the middle, a frothy collar, and luscious thick lacing. Intense, dense, deep down hazelnut-coffee-roasty aroma - wouldn't quite add chocolate to that yet. Those roasty coffee notes really do dominate here, though not actually smelling like real java was added - amazing. Add to the joe, a little bit of cocoa in the taste and a whole lot of subtly sweet cream - this drinks/feels almost like a milkshake - how the hell did they do that?! The presence of alcohol in the taste and overall experience is just about ideal for the style. I will, without a doubt, go back to this, and I'm excited to dig deeper into the wonders and complexities of this magnificent drink. Thank you, Oskar Blues!

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to mmtmatrix for this amazing brew!!!

This brew is amazing. Whats so amazing about it? Well first off it comes from a 12 oz can. Hmmm, I at one time thought all beer from a can wasn't worth the time it took to open it. Secondly, this brew is so full of coffee, chocolate, and hazel nut. The mouthfeel is full and heavy. I would love to grab more of these! Its extremely drinkable and tasty.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from can into snifter glass.

A: Jet oil black with minimal tan head. Definitely the thickest blackest RIS that I've encountered. Awesome looking.

S: What a nose, such strong roasty chocolate notes. Absolutely exquisite. I could smell it all day.

T & M: It was tough but I let brew warm for a bit. Deezam, what a great beer. Full bodied, alcohol hotness there but does not overwhelm. Mouthfeel so rich and creamy. Roasted chocolate notes throughout with a perfect slightly bitter, hoppy finish with a little bit of citrus tones.

D: High ABV and just overall ridiculousness would prevent more than one can in a session but oh my goodness what a fine brew.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Definitely not cheap, but well worth it. This beer pours near black with a dark espresso colored head at the end of the fast pour. Not a huge head, but nice. Smell is intense chocolate and toffee - very sweet and bright. The taste is fantastic - full of caramel and lots of chocolate. I'd like to taste the aged versions for a darker overall taste. The feel is incredibly creamy without being too heavy - not too thick - very easy to take down. I would never guess that it is 10.5% alcohol (other than the name of course) - feels more like 7-8%. The smooth and not too intense overall feel of the beer makes for an exceptionally drinkable RIS for me. If it was cheaper I'd be drinking this all the time, but at $4.50/can, it'll remain a once-in-a-while drink.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Purchased at my local distributor for $82 and change out the door with the governer's cut.

It's in a can. A fsking can. I can't believe I just paid $80+ for canned 24 pack. Then I think of bar prices. that's 3.25 a can. At the local (dive) watering hole, 3.25 gets you two 8 oz. drafts of Milwaukee's Best Ice and enough left over for a pickled egg. I don't feel so bad now that I have that perspective.

A quick search of uncle google and my bestest pal Beer Advocate told me that I was not crazy for trying this at that price. Since I am a huge fan of the Blackout Stout from the guys up in Great Lakes, I figured with this style/review/points/etc. it would not disappoint.

It doesn't.

A: Poured from the can into a standard wine glass (did I just say that?), it pours thick as all get out and a roasty, highly coffee colored 1 finger head. Speaking of roasty and coffee, the highly roasted character of the beer absorbs light at a rate not unlike a black hole. This beer is DARK. And I am loving that. Settles into a wispy ring that follows it down the glass.

S: No surprise, malty and light wheat almost, there is a very very slight hint of chocolate, ripe cherries?

T: toffee, coffee, roasted malts, and a very slight hint of what my palate says is bitter orange or cherries, almost like eating an orange rind, but mild and toned down a whole lot.

M: At approximately 55 degrees, this is extremely smooth and creamy, warming with boozy qualities. Very smooth, and filling after the gulp. Lingering aroma of roast and taste of stong coffee.

O: This beer is like the Jules Winfield of Stouts. If TenFidy ever got a movie made about it, Sam Jackson himself would play the role of TenFidy: it's that damn smooth but it will assert itself with great vengence and furious anger if you try to destroy too many all in one sitting. I like it much and it would be remiss in not buying it again if I ever spied it on the shelf of my local purveyor of fine beers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Smell is great. Taste is dark and is very balanced between coffee, normal stout flavors, and a hint of sweet/chocolate. Incredibly smooth. Easy to drink a lot. Hits pretty hard with the high ABV. One of the better Stouts I've ever had (and Stouts are my favorite type of beers)! Only thing better I've had so far is Founders CBS + KBS, Bolt Cutter, and maybe 1 or 2 others I can't remember off the top of my head. It's REALLY GOOD! But the one thing I noticed is that it doesn't have anything unique or that stands out, just really really solid, smooth, great tasting stout! Get SOME!!!

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours, well black as hell, completely opaque, with a solid quarter inch of dirty brown head, and some nice tracing. Gorgeous so far. Aroma's are not as strong as expected: cocoa, roasted coffee, black patent, creamy bourbon (if there was such a thing), and quite a bit of citrusy hops. On the palate, the roasted barley tumbles the tongue, chocolate malts develop finishing with some high alcohols and those west coast hops. It finishes almost minty and vodka like. Incredibly chewy in the mouth with moderate carbonation and heavy mouthfeel. Very refreshing after recently having Storm King and Black Bear stouts finding them just way too hoppy. Hops here are quite evident but very balanced. Not much bitterness from the malts, I imagine a low percent of black and roasted malts, making it very smooth. This is a very enjoyable RIS from a brewery who has such a solid lineup.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Finally get to try the legndary Ten Fidy. Bought at Total Wine Jax.

appearance: creamy froth, head held nicely, dark tan, deep dark brown, nearly ebony color body

smell: deep dark chocolate and coffee

taste: like it smells, right on. a lot of coffee and chocolate tones, acually heavy black coffee.

mouthfeel: full bodied right on for imperial stout, not overly thick though

drinkability: met expectations. it's world class

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Let me start by saying thanks to my man Aaron (PerzentRizen) for my first Ten Fidy. This is the BEST CAN of beer that I have ever had! This is definitely not your typical can beer. Pop the top and out pours black liquid that looks like "motor oil" according to my wonderful wife. No head rises whatsoever on this baby.
Strong malts smell but a hint of hops in there as well. Molasses, carmel and alcohol (9.5%) smack you right in the face. The burnt carmel flavor takes over from there and coats your mouth. The aftertaste lingers for quite some time. I love my stouts and this is definitely right up there with the best of them. This is extremely smooth but more than one or two in a sitting would be tough to handle.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Seeing as I've been into Stouts of late, I wanted to track down and taste this canned RIS.

Pours black obsidian with lavish 1 finger with one of the darkest heads that I've seen. Dark brown with good retention and moderate lacing.

Aroma is a chocolate makers Heaven! Huge strong notes of bitter chocolate, light milk chocolate, roasted espresso beans, a nice dash of hops, and a light underlying aroma of charred malts. I'm already salivating from a few whif's of this beauty.

Ten FIDY doesn't disappoint. Begins with a myriad of chocolate flavors that caress the tongue accompanied by sticky molasses, and coffee. One thing to note is the light citrus hope presence near the finish. Nice and crisp and not overpowering like some RIS's that I've encountered in the past. Finish is smooth, no alcoholic heat from this brew whatsoever.

Mouthfeel is the epitome of creamy. Full and luscious as it delivers it tasty goodness. Carbonation is spot on.

The sky is the limit with drinkability. The 9.5% ABV is extremely well hidden, but this beer really shines as the weather drops. And not to mention its the best canned beer I've ever had! Superb job Oskar Blues!.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Please do not drink Ten Fidy from the can; this beer deserves a glass.

Pours thick and dark like motor oil. Very little head, some dark chocolate colored lacing that disappears quickly. Looks flat but maintains enough effervescence to satisfy.

Smell: Roasted malt, chocolate, you can smells 'hot' from the alcohol.

Taste: One of the best beers I have ever had from a can. This one gets better and better as it warms up, so let it sit a while between sips if you can. A rich roasted malt flavor, chocolate, this beer is somewhat sweet. The alcohol is masked by all the flavors, it really is most apparent in the smell. This beer goes down very easy. It has a nice bitter aftertaste that lingers on the tongue. Ten Fidy really opens up when it is warm.

Mouth feel: Not as thick as it looks. Oily.

Overall: A great RIS. Very satisfying, great flavors that improve as it warms. This is one of my standard sippers that never disappoints. Great drinkability but given the price and alcohol, one is all I usually have per sitting.

Aging: Aging beer in a can, why not? I have put some away in my cellar and hope to give a report in a couple years.

PS: Did I tell you to let this beer warm up? Let it warm up!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Black as night at 2am in the countryside! Looks like a glass of crude oil...beautiful!

S - Big rich dark grains with a touch of chocolate and coffee. Surprisingly has a huge hoppy kick too! Like an imperial black IPA. Smells great!

T - WOW. Semi-sweet, lots of chocolate. Huge hoppy kick. So smooth and well balanced. Delicious!

M - Full bodied, medium carbonation. Goes down smooth

O - This stout is on another level. One of the best I have ever had. So tasty. So smooth. A high ABV that is totally hidden. Amazing!

Canned 12/1/10
Poured into a snifter

A: Thick dark stout with a thin reddish brown head that quickly dissapates

S: Roasted malts, coffee and a light chocolate hint. Aged a year but still a strong smell of alcohol and malt.

T: Chocolate and malt play the biggest role, alcohol also plays a prominent role right off the bat. Finish I get almost a smokey flavor with each sip.

M: Very thick and heavy as expected with an imperial stout.

O: Very impressed with this beer. Instantly became one of my favorite imperial stouts. Well worth the price and I highly recommend picking this up.

A can. A 12 oz can.

Appearance: It pours thick like motor oil-- the can adds to that image. Completely opaque. The head is one of the darkest brown heads I've seen. It never completely disappears, but fades to a rim and some floating spots-- even after an hour. Spotty lacing runs down the glass and looks great, but doesnt stick.

Smell: Roasted coffee and sweet and bitter chocolate. Its mostly sweet and less bitter. Some fruitiness to it also. Roasty. Very, very chocolatey.

Taste: I'm surprised at the hop bitterness after not smelling hops. It works though. Rich bitter chocolate flavor and bready malt flavor. This is huge and it lingers. Delicious. Finishes slightly bitter, then sweet.

Mouthfeel: So thick and viscous. Oily and coating. Carbonation doesnt interfere.

Drinkability: Its a fantastic RIS. Convenient, affordable single serving size is a plus.

Another can from 11-11-10, poured on 11-29-11. Excellent. None of the bitterness noted above except for roastiness. Rich bittersweet chocolate. Bready, heavy, sticky.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Wow, a RIS in a can?? Poured out of a 12oz can into a Duvel tulip glass (to make it more intimidating).

And intimidating looking this is indeed. As black and dark looking as the design on the can. With some aid from the tulip, this does make a nice, brown head... although not for long. Insane alcohol leggings all around, and carbonation is beautifully streaked on the edges of the glass. This IS a RIS. That is all.

Okay, the smell is loaded with alcohol, but there's too many insane, bold stout aromas seeping from this thing to ever ignore. Past the obvious sweetness, there's dark chocolate, coffee beans, pistachios, crème brûlée (!!!), roasted malts, and so many more beautiful, wonderful things. There's a bit of a sting to it, although most of it manages to be very alcoholic and malty. Simply outstanding.

The taste is rather fascinating, however, as it changes as it warms up in an extremely progressive way. While cold, there were of course tastes of smoked bread, but surprisingly, soy sauce?? I took another gulp. Yep, definitely reminds me of soy sauce at the finish. After letting it warm up, that somehow disappeared. Think a wonderful, thick maltiness with a spicy bite loaded (and I mean *loaded*) with alcoholic temperament and you've got yourself one of the most aggressive and finest RISs I've had in a long time. While it's dry, it's still so thick that you could slice it up. If a beer could be a dark chocolate cake, this is it.

I'm totally blown away with how complex and satisfyingly balanced this is, despite many indications that it could be an aggressive experience! $4 for one of the best RISs you could get, honestly. Should NOT be consumed straight out of the can, however: this is the kind of beer meant for wine glasses due to the various flavors it produces, and due to its refined drinking experience that it provides. I'll have one or two more please! (And then NO MORE unless you're willing to carry me out of the bar!)

Batch #386
canned 12-31-08
"careful with this one"

Just picked this can up today from work and thought it was weird that i got a can over a year old. we just got this batch of cans into the store not to long ago. i dunno, guess we were just lucky.

A- Pours old engine oil black in color and thickness. a dark mocha colored head rises from the depths of this one a lingers for a while, finally settling after a couple minutes to leave some nice lacing.

S- Complex smells of bittersweet chocolate, coffee, as well as dark fruits, caramel, molasses and dark roasted malts.

T- Just as complex as the aroma. Heavy on the bittersweet chocolate and coffee up front, giving way to sweet caramel and molasses, finally finsshing of with some dark fruit and a touch of bitterness. warms the mouth wit alcohol but is very pleasing.

M/D- I'm dissapointed i didn't find this one earlier this year. full bodied and coats the palate very well. finish lingers for quite a while. Very drinkable for a beer of 9.5% ABV (dunno if this has to do with a year+ in the can).

Highly recomended.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Motor oil black with an inch thick tan head. Tons of lacing.

S - Coffee, malt, prunes, grapes.

T - Chocolate front, coffee and a mild bitterness to finish. An oaky aftertaste.

M - Super smooth, some alcohol burn, but not many bubbles. Very thick and viscous, like motor oil.

O - Thickest beer I have ever poured out of a can. Thick and a huge head for a stout. Smell and taste were great.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Amazing beer but I would have enjoyed it a bit more bitter, but for a 10.5 very smooth. my friend said it best. you could drink it all day till you stand up.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew