Microbrew Invitational

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Availability: Fall

This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. It is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops.

Added by Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Reviews: 2,517 | Ratings: 9,545
4.13/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Looked like well-used motor oil coming out of the can, seemed almost thick as it came out out of the can. I was wondering if any head would eventually appear but after about half the can was poured a small head appeared for about as long as it took me to smell the beer. The smell is vague but could pick up slight notes of burnt fruit, definitely not as strong of a smell as other beers of this style. The first taste was surprisingly complex considering the simplicity I picked up in the nose. Roasted toffee and malt at first, bit of burning sensation on the way down and leaves a dark chocolate and coffee bean taste in the mouth after swallowing. Minimal lacing through the glass as I finish.

A - Standard black imperial stout with a dark brown head.
S - Roasted malt, chocolate and hint of coffee.
T - Not sure if it was mental but I got some metallic (aluminum) taste right off the bat. I didn't get it as the beer warmed up. I noticed others said similar things. I did like how well the alcohol was hid.
M - I think it could have used a little bit more carbonation. I enjoyed how carbonated Dark Lord was.
D - A standard Imperial Stout. There was no shock value other than the awesome can. But overall, this was a very good brew.

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

From the can to the glass, this beer is pitch black. Great mocha colored head, about two inches. Dark roasted cocoa, molasses, toffee, expresso, Thick and creamy, with a dry finish. Don't be thrown off by the fact it is in a can, this RIS is absolutely fantastic!

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

A - It seems Exxon have just got into the beer business: thick, sticky, blacker than black gold spills between the can and glass in viscous slow motion. As the slick gathers, its inkiness shows no flaws, and although the head lacks height, it's depth of chocolatey color makes up for the skinniness.

S - Simplistic and mild, yet finds some retribution in its depth. The profile exhibits fragile hops flailing like sticky fish bogged down in an encompassing dark creamy chocolatiness. Contrary to general expectations of unidimensional aromas, the ruthless omnipotence of the malts somehow entice the senses rather than disappoint them with their singularity. Sniff at it again a little while later when it's warmed, and whiskey-toffee wafts roll from within lending a long awaited complexity that places this brew an echelon beyond its former self.

T - Somewhere between the nose and palate a lit match has been flicked into the mix, igniting the latent volatility of that deep inky blackness. The malts suddenly take on a multifaceted personality as roasty espresso and charcoal notes coalesce with the original milk-chocolaty creaminess, which serves as an effectively charismatic ring-leader. As the brew warms, further layers of complexity emerge, with vanilla pod, bourbon, and a final green chilli spiciness confessing their roles before the international inquiry is through. The hops also express undeniable guilt, but they are the token tricky characters who use the brawn of the roasted bitterness to create an ambiguous involvement.

M - This brew's creamy nature is perpetuated in its mouthfeel, and if weren't for a robust carbonation, the whole experience would probably claim the drinker as another oil-laden victim of this sticky spill. But the carbonation is there, and does an amazing job of cleaning the thickness from the palate allowing the impenetrably dark flavors to be enjoyed rather than feared.

D - Diligence stipulates that any review contemplating a 9.5% stout with 110million% viscosity and a shit load of dark candy goodness, should proclaim the drinkability factor close to "HAZMAT". But I'm going to leave that compliant conclusion to be fulfilled by every other investigator, and simply state that Ten Fidy is a blow-you-away brew, which I admittedly wouldn't start drinking until the end of an evening, but could happily keep sipping until the birds start singing...or spluttering, and drowning.

0 - This is a great transitional brew that really opens up as it warms in your hand. If Oskar Blues operated oil rigs, the next Gulf Coast spill would have Texas paying OB billions of dollars, and the international outcry would be replaced by an elated global cheer.

3.17/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I saw the rating for this beer, I found it at my local beer shop, and had to buy it. I poured it into a tall glass to see it in all of its glory.

First lets go with the things I respect with this beer. This brew is inky black and the lacing on it is beautiful. It has a high 10.5% ABV also. That's where I have to stop. I respect what they are trying to do with this beer but I just can't appreciate it. Unfortunately I still have taste buds.

The negatives:
Smells like an IPA with roasted characteristics
Tastes like an IPA with dark characteristics (cocoa and some malt)
HIGH amount of hops and bitters. I just googled its IBU rating and its a 95!!! Holy crap, that's higher than some of the most bitter IPAs I've ever had.
$15 for a 4 pack.
It lingers in your mouth for minutes afterwards. You can literally taste it in your mouth 5 minutes after your last sip. To quote the movie Pineapple Express: "F'ing lingerer man, lingerer".

I just can't appreciate bitter beers. I just don't like to consume bitter things. I had high hopes for this but I'm let down. Its one of those "America, F ya!!" sort of beers. Where they just put as much hops as possible just because its the American thing to do.

If I want a dark chocolate beer I'll just stick with my girly Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate stout. :) I had no idea that this beer was going to be this bitter (95 IBU!!), I would have never paid 15 dollars for a 4 pack if I had known. I need to grow a thick beard and ride a unicycle before I can enjoy this level of manliness. I don't know how someone can pretend to enjoy this. I can't imagine what sort of food they call "good food". Meh, to each their own I guess.

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

12 oz can courtesy of Johnny Med poured into a rodenbach grand cru tulip.

pitch black body, which looks even more reminiscent of motor oil when it comes from a can, with a thin layer of milk-chocolate-colored head. the head fades pretty quickly, save for a burnt-red layer around the outer rim; some nice lacing.

not as strong a smell as i expected it to be; some roasted malt and some dark cocoa, some tobacco, even a tad bit of smoked meat. so yeah, it smells like an imperial stout. one of the more subdued russian imperials, at least based on smell- nothing really blows you away with this one.

interesting taste. the mid-palate is a lot of dark chocolate, milk chocolate, cocoa powder. the finish is a little bit of hop bitterness, which is unexpected, but with the recent interpretations of the style, not totally unexpected. but the finishing part of the finish is a little hot, a little metallic and a little almost unpleasant. it's kind of comparable to the taste of salt. really sweet beginning taste though- a little butterscotch-like.

for an imperial stout actually pretty lacking in body. there's some carbonation/sensation that develops in the back of the mouth around the mid-palate and lingers till the finish, so that's mildly unpleasant. yeah, the most noticeable mouthfeel characteristic is the astringency on the finish. there isn't a whole lot of palate coating, it's not a super rich body.

this is a lot smoother than a lot of other russian imperials; it does not have a huge hop presence, and there is not an abundance of flavor that might make you feel full; it doesn't have that huge pallet coating that keeps the taste of the beer fresh in your mind for hours and it isn't out of this worldly alcoholic. and yet, for each of those categories it's easy to envision a beer that fits the description. with this one? it's from a can. sometimes its good to be average. right?

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%

12oz can received in a trade from my man everetends. Thanks Gilly.

Appearance- Pours black with a slow rising, mocha-tan monster of a head. It looks tasty as fuck. Good lacing, but could be a smidgen better.

Smell- Dark roasted malts, dark bitter coffee and chocolate, and floral hops. There's also some dark fruits and baked cracker lingering in there that reminds me of AK MAK. I don't have to strain to find the different smells, which is beautiful.

Taste- Wow! What a shit ton of bitter chocolate, roasted malt and dark, dark coffee. As if that bitterness wasn't enough, there are bitter hops that show up next. They are soon completely wiped out by the ensuing heat. A second "Wow!" goes out to this beers ability to be fresh out of the oven hot with alcohol without it being unpleasant. It was a fairly warm day here in the central valley of Oregon, and for a bit I was literally sweating from drinking this beer, and that is A-OK with this guy. Big chocolate, big coffee, big hops, and big heat. This beers gets the job done. It's the John McClane of the RIS world.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, smooth, lush, rich...go thesaurus crazy with the word creamy and you get the point. Low carbonation and a better body than a young Pamela Anderson.

Drinkability- The abv and heat keep the drinkability down a bit, but only because I don't want to sweat off 10lbs and do something to get me arrested. The flavor never gets old and doesn't ware on the tongue. Come winter, I will be trading for more than a few of these guys to keep me toasty.

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

I was excited to try this for my first time today at the World of Beer in Tampa.

I poured a 12oz can into a pint glass. It poured a very viscous, opaque BLACk. They may as well call it 10-W Fidy because it looks like used motor oil. Very thin brown head left a small amount of lacing on the glass. It smelled of roasted coffee, molasses and a mild hoppiness. It tased a bit sweet with caramel and coffee and a slight alcohol warmth on the back of the throat. It was a very sticky beer that was a bit much for me. I am glad to have had it, but I am not in any hurry for more.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

a- completely opaque, looks like motor oil when pouring it, with a 1/2 inch frothy mocha frapp head

s- mostly boozy with a slight cofee aroma'

t-dark roasted boozy coffee tase with some definite dark fruits, ..alcohol is in the forefront but blends very well with the mix

m-wow..wicked creamy smooth, slides right down throat- best part of this beer and imperial stout for that matter

d- very drinkable for a 10%, delicious, love the mouth feel

...first review in a while so may be a little biased

4.14/5  rDev -4.4%

Bought at Whole Foods, Pasadena Ca-Arroyo Parkway

Poured into a pint glass. The pour was like a dark motor oil into the glass. Very black. The smell is freshly roasted. Nice. Interesting smell. A definite roasty taste but not overwhelming. It has a nice taste to it that is getting better with every sip. After hearing good things about this beer here, I had to go try it. It is definitely a good beer. Nice overall taste.

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Pitch black. Poured almost a fingers worth of milk chocolate brown head, which dissipated quickly. Alcohol legs sticking around for days.
Smell: sweet dark chocolate, coffee, burnt sugar, licorice, figs.
Taste: Rich dark chocolate. Some coffee. Milk chocolate coming out as well. Nice roasted notes. Starts off with a little sweetness but ends with a roasted bitterness. There's a little bit of alcohol but it adds to the beer rather than detracting and is very subdued for 10.5%. There's some anise too, which blends well with the chocolate and roasted notes.
Mouthfeel: Full bodied and creamy, almost tastes like nitro.
Overall: Tons of dark chocolate, like I sat down to munch on a brick of bakers chocolate.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

First off, my wife and I both loved this beer. She liked the caramel smells and flavor.

A
Black with nice 1/4" head.

S
Smells sweet. Caramel. Smells amazing but light. Caramel is definitely there.

T
Carmel, candy and more. I taste more candy than toasty oats. But it definitely tastes like an Imperial Stout. However, Ted Fiddy has a sweeter candy flavor that offers a distinctive caramel characteristic.

D
I would drink 2, 3 or 4 of these easily. The caramel character in the flavor is amazing. I liked it as did my wife. My wife is a beer review enabler if I position it just right and this review saw some benefit of a dual input system. Cheers to Ten Fiddy fans and my wife! This is my first 4.5 across the board review. All so good but just couldn't give it a perfect 5 on any level.

4.64/5  rDev +7.2%

This is about as good as it gets!

Poured a thick oily impenetrable black. Small dark caramel head that fades to a ring around the glass. Lacing is thin and very sporadic down the sides of the tulip.

Smell is strong chocolate and dates/raisins. Chocolate covered raisins! Very sweet and a hint of alcohol.

Taste is deep. Sweet roasted malts and chocolate up front. Dates and raisins. Slightly bitter smokey finish.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly good for this style. Thick but not too thick. Just enough carbonation to bring out the flavors.

Drinkability is also good for this style. Light enough to keep 'em coming for most of the night. Well played Oskar well played.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Got this tasty little extra from Kbutler 1... thanks Kevin! This one turned out to be perfect for a cold wet night in NC.

Poured from the can into a GD pint glass. 1/4" of dark tan head. Aroma has hints of dark chocolate, coffee and sweet malt.
Taste is filled with the same chocolate and coffee that was in the aroma, even leaving a lightly bitter taste on the back of the tongue as dark chocolate seems to do. There is a small and somewhat dry alcohol bite near the end. Hard to describe, but there's hints of oak in this as well... reminds me of a campfire.

As I drink this one only gets better. Mouthfeel is perfect for an RIS, and it's as if my palate got used to it and I really began to enjoy this through the pint. The drinkability is good for the style... I would grab a few of these to try again...

Poured from can into Duvel tulip snifter.

Appearance: I know it's overused, but this stuff really does look like the aftermath of a long overdue oil change. Black brown that swallows light and allows none to penetrate. Very thin cocoa head.

Smell: Nutty. Roasted coffee. A hint of burnt chocolate. Not very strong though.

Taste: Lots of earthy bitterness like unsweetened chocolate. Alcohol. Finishes bone dry. Flies in the face of a lot of imperial stouts in that there isn't the creaminess and sweetness at the finish. There's lots of bitter and burnt here along with hops hiding away. Somehow given all that it's still appealling.

Mouthfeel: Oily and thick. Carbonation not really a presence. Covers the palate, but then disappears with that dry finish.

Drinkability: Given the boldness of the taste and high ABV one Ten Fidy will be enough for a sitting.

Overall: It's a compelling beer but definitely not for everyone. There will be plenty of RIS fans who will take a pass on this one, but you should at least try it once. In all honesty it could use something extra, maybe a touch of sweetness, to balance out the bitterness and sharp edges.

I picked up a 4 pack and the other 3 will last me a long, long time. It's a bit like a really strong rauchbier in that respect; even though it's good you need it only on occasion.

3.17/5  rDev -26.8%

Not my favorite RIS. The promise of the smooth dark pour was not delivered in either smell or taste. Two qualities that I cannot separate when tasting a beer for the first time. The whole experience is so tied together that I am almost shocked by what a let down the smell is. Watching it pour into my glass made me long for a deep nose full of rich aroma but I was left with a strong alcohol and burnt molasses. Like biting into bakers chocolate when expecting a hersheys bar.

A: dark smooth appearance with a small amount of head that dissapates quickly in the glass. No lacing to speak of.

S: Almost rubbing alcohol with a burned candied cherry hiding in the back.

T: Hard to distinguish from the smell. Definite cherry flavors (I know this sounds wierd but this tastes like one of those pie cherries that had already fallen off the tree and started to ferment.) Mom told me not to eat those.

M: The rich undertones do coat your entire mouth. Very little carbonation to get in the way. Feels like an after dinner dessert liquor.

D: One is enough to last a long while. A sipper for sure.

Glad to be able to try it and review it. Not a beer I would share with less seasoned palates.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

Looks kind of dark with a good-looking mocha head. Very lovely aromas of chocolates and fruits, chocolate-covered fruits, s'mores, alcohol, and just enough soy sauce. Very rich and thick, but just barely sweet. Bittersweet chocolate taste graduates to roasted coffee on a slightly warm finish. Rich enough that you have to take your time with this one, but it's far from tiring. Easily up there with Stone as a top-notch RIS.

4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Had been intending on sitting on this longer, but after a long week, it seemed like a good way to cap this Friday.

A: Pours dark, dark, and darker with minimal head, even with an aggressive pour. Rim of khaki around the edge in my Delirium tulip.

S: Mostly dark fruits with a slight hint of smoked malts initially. As it warms up, the malt comes out slightly more.

T: Initial sweetness (with this ABV, that's to be expected) followed by the dark fruit I had picked up in the nose. Lingering and pleasant taste left with the malt and cocoa dominating.

M: Extremely smooth for the ABV with little carbonation. Definitely enjoyed this aspect.

O: Having had this beer only once before and remembering it to be great, I was not let down. I may have enjoyed it in the wrong venue and would have liked to share it with a friend, but I didn't mind having it all to myself at all. For the pricepoint, you cannot go wrong and I wish I had picked up an extra can or four to age for a while longer to see what happened to it. The educator in me gives it an A-.

4.36/5  rDev +0.7%

The Oskar Blues comes in a 12oz can, in four-packs. To the best of my knowledge Oskar Blues doesn't use glass for any of their beers. I've found that people are generally shying away from the can but it's gaining a little more of a following each year. The Ten Fidy pours out looking like warm (aka not quite so thick) motor oil. Not only is it pouring into my glass absolutely black as night, but there is almost no foam to speak of. The foam you see in the picture was only after pouring the last 3oz pretty vigorously. If you don't believe me, check out the video of the pour.

The foam that does arise is a very dark almond shade of brown and lingers around for a long, long time. After about 20 minutes there is still a thin film of coffee-brown foam, with pretty significant lacing left on the glass. At first the nose is very soft with just a mild amount of roasted malts and coffee coming through. As the beer warms a bit, I'm getting a larger variety of roasts, toffee, chocolate, and more.

On the palate the Ten Fidy is thick and viscous, yet very easy to drink. Tons of roasted malts dominate my palate with a clean toasty finish and just a touch of dry bitterness. This really is the monster of all Imperial Stouts as the beerAdvocate reviews state!

4.33/5  rDev 0%

2011 Batch.
Can poured into a Duvel glass.

A: I'd have to agree that this looks like used motor oil coming out of the can, both in color and viscosity. The minimal head that quickly fades even looks like the tannish-brown color of motor oil when you change your vehicle's oil. Light lacing, but nothing substantial, nor does it stick around.

S: All sorts of dark roasted malt notes, French Roast coffee, a bit of chocolate, and some fruity esters of red plum and a little berry-laced prune. Interesting and a little hard to nail down the fruit here. Faintly smoky. Definitely better once it warms up. Also a hint of burnt brown sugar (not caramel).

T: More or less mimics the nose. Not dry, but certainly not sweet for a RIS.

M: Medium-viscosity. Again, certainly not light, but not the uber-richness sometimes associated with RIS.

I think I may save at least one can and see how it is down the road.

This is definitely better as it warms up a bit, maybe in the 55-60-degree range.

4.79/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours the deepest darkest black possible. Light refuses to enter, even darkness illuminates the area around the glass, yet cannot penetrate this blackity blackness. Think of the blackest thing you can imagine, and double that blackness, and take a black magic marker and fill in the gaps, and put that into a black rocket ship, and shoot that into the depths of black space, and close your eyes, and use that as a reference. With a tan head. Perfect tiny fine bubbles, very little lacing.
S: Dark roasted malt and some decent hop presence. Floating around in the background I get milk chocolate as well.
T: Roasted malt, bitter dark chocolate, a hop brightness that makes me think of pineapple (but in a good way, really), and a bitter finish, but right for the style.
F: Pretty much damn near perfect. The carbonation has small bubbles which makes it kind of creamy.
O: One of the benchmarks for the style and it shows. The multi-syllable words on the can do it justice.

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The second I cracked the can it smelt like coffee. With that coffee forward smell there was a certain sweetness to it also that overtook the metallic smell of the can. The appearance was like motor oil, with hardly any head. What the head did compose of was dark bubbles with more of an aroma of coffee. The first sip gave me a roast forward taste followed by notes of chocolate. Mouthfeel on it was quite amazing too, which was very very sludgy. Overall it was a very good beer and I love me some Ten Fidy!

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been waiting a long time for ten fidy to work it's way to massachusetts...

poured a pure black with a finger of dark brown head that lasted well for a high abv beer and left nice lacing all the way to the end of the glass.

smell is nice, mixture of roasty grains, coffee notes and a little chocolate.

more coffee along with a touch of baker's chocolate in the initial taste, finishes with a nice bitter hop note, more than i was expecting.

rich and creamy with the bitter finish helping to make sure the palate isn't left too coated. nice finish for such a strong beer.

excellent drinakbility for a RIS, alcohol presence only really starts to come through as the glass begins to warm.

i've read lots of hype about this beer over the last few months. it lived up to it, excellent example of the style! need more...

4.26/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a smallish goblet, presented a dark black color with a finger of dark chocolate brown foam. Lacing splotched all over the glass, and lasted for as long as I nursed this drink. Rich smell, which carried over into the flavor. Almost a little too bitter, but in a good way; I would compare it to a really well made espresso. Thick on the tongue with a full body. Not an everyday beer, but nice as a dessert. Quintessential stout.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Please do not drink Ten Fidy from the can; this beer deserves a glass.

Pours thick and dark like motor oil. Very little head, some dark chocolate colored lacing that disappears quickly. Looks flat but maintains enough effervescence to satisfy.

Smell: Roasted malt, chocolate, you can smells 'hot' from the alcohol.

Taste: One of the best beers I have ever had from a can. This one gets better and better as it warms up, so let it sit a while between sips if you can. A rich roasted malt flavor, chocolate, this beer is somewhat sweet. The alcohol is masked by all the flavors, it really is most apparent in the smell. This beer goes down very easy. It has a nice bitter aftertaste that lingers on the tongue. Ten Fidy really opens up when it is warm.

Mouth feel: Not as thick as it looks. Oily.

Overall: A great RIS. Very satisfying, great flavors that improve as it warms. This is one of my standard sippers that never disappoints. Great drinkability but given the price and alcohol, one is all I usually have per sitting.

Aging: Aging beer in a can, why not? I have put some away in my cellar and hope to give a report in a couple years.

PS: Did I tell you to let this beer warm up? Let it warm up!

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew