Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,741 | Reviews: 2,451
4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

What a great example of this style.

Had on tap and appropriately served in a small snifter. Pours pitch black with a dark toffee thin head of small bubbles. A lot of chocolate and coffee here, but everything in balance. Also a hint of vanilla that tastes very natural-not the artificial taste that is often present in many stouts. Drinkability is on par for the style--it is rather heavy in body, but the 10%ABV is not as apparent as expected. Great with a chocolate based dessert or as a dessert by itself.

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance is pitch black. I mean I held it up to the sun, directly in front of the sun, and no light penetrated. A short chocolatey creamy head formed and left little lacing.

Smell is a sweetish, alcohol with a hint of hops in the background.

Taste is great. This is definitely an imperial stout. The alcohol is upfront and slightly balalnced with malts and hops.

Mouthfeel is a creamy thick experience.

Overall an excellent example of an imperial stout.

3.92/5  rDev -10.7%

I have waited far too long to actually buy a 4 pack of this stuff to enjoy. I'm glad I finally bought some. Poured into my DFH signature glass.

A: Umm.... you guessed it... black. About a quarter inch of brown head. Looks great. The head ends up as just a brown ring around the edges of the glass.

S: A good mix of vanilla, chocolate and coffee. Only hints of the 9.5%

T: A sweet vanilla and molasses start, followed by a nice touch of dark fruits covered in dark chocolate. Leaves you with a taste of a smokey burnt coffee bitterness. The alocohol is in there too and becomes more apparent the longer you hold it in your mouth. Not too hot for 9.5 but hot enough.

M: Nice carbonation, full bodied, a sticky creamy film coats the mouth afterwards.

D: A little hotter than similar beers I have had.

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

A - 10w40...no wait 5w30...maybe it could resurface my driveway

S - Blueberry pancakes (yeah..really..) with molasses and a roasted, burnt sugar aroma

T&M - Holy moly, mother of god...not really sure where to start. The flavor profile and feel was phenomenal. Molasses/Brown sugar, with some coffee, some dark berry, dried fruit in there as well. Got to admit I had trouble focusing on the elements of the flavors becasue they were so well balanced. Just the right viscosity, very cohesive.

D - This one ain't about how many you can put away...

A great beer, probably my favorite RIS so far. (We will see how the Stone cellars) Not sure how it got any subpar reviews (maybe drink it in the sun on a hot day?), but they should seriously consider revisiting this one. Mine was canned 12-10-09, find one of these and you may want to update your review..

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a snifter.

A - Can you say, "I just got inked by an octopus."? Black and ink-like in appearance and color. Dropped this into a pint glass without holding back much on the pour. This allowed for a decent head to form which I didn't get much of when I had this the first time. Dungeony lace formed all around the glass.

S - Smell of dark, rich roasted coffee, marvelous chocolate and anise.

T - Coffee! Dark roasted malt! Necco wafers.

M - Smooth and silky at first, then a slap of carbonation, hop bitterness and alcohol at the end. Full-bodied.

D - Not by any means a session beer (10 ABV), but I end up buying a 4 pack every time I pick it up because one isn't enough. Do yourself a favor and spread these out and savor them. You'll enjoy it more and not fall down enjoying one too many. Great beer for the price and ABV.

4.11/5  rDev -6.4%

This beer came in a 12oz can with a clearly marked canning date on the bottom. (10-28-08.)

I have been to Oskar's Blues in Lyons, CO. I don't remember having this beer there. This was years ago, before they started putting their beer in cans. It's an awesome town close to Boulder and the bar is comfortable and has great live music. A good place to cool down in the middle of summer.

Anyways, the beer pours heavy and thick. (For all I know Ten Fidy is the final gravity of the beer.) It hit my glass with a plop sound. No head formed at first so I gave it a strong pour. Then, when the beer was all in the glass, the head began to overtake the beer from the top down. Very interesting behavior. The beer is dark as an overcast new-moon night and has thick, fluffy caramel colored head. Head retention is awesome and lace coats every centimeter of the glass with seemingly permanent brown fuzz. It is hard to imagine a better looking beer in this style.

The aroma is not as strong as I expected. There is no trace of alcohol and definitely no hops. There is a sweet chocolate smell, but that is about it. I'm a little disappointed in this aspect of the beer.

The taste is of lots of roasted barley. There is a pronounced burnt flavor here that leads into hop bitterness. A little more sweetness would have been nice to balance the flavor a bit. As it is, the burnt notes overpower the rest of the flavors. There is no alcohol flavor, with leaves me a little disappointed. I like for RISs to have a discernible alcohol warmth to them.

With such a heavy beer you expect that it will lay across your tongue thickly and coat your mouth with a long-lasting flavor. In this case, Ten Fidy lives up to expectations and more. There's no need to take a drink more than every few minutes because you will still be tasting it from your last drink.

There's not much need to have more than one of these. In fact, halfway through I'm already looking forward to something lighter. This beer is perfect for the winter season.

Overall, Ten Fidy is a great beer, but it is surpassed in its style by others.

russian imperial stout in a can! obviously you have to love that. jet black with minor head... chocolate and alcohol on nose, black patent malt and creamy chocolate in taste. rich, heavy, yet drinkable. i'll definitely be bringing a six-pack of ten FIDY with me next camping trip...

4.38/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned on October 11, 2010 and poured December 24, 2010. How can I not want to try the beer that "puts the A in Holy Crap."

A: Awesome. It's black, it's thick, it's one hell of a pour. Minimal head and no lacing. The side of my glass is beautifully clean with each sip.

S: If it rates lower anywhere it's here. There is a malty aroma to it, but nothing overpowering.

T: Wow, my taste buds loving this... This beer is good! It's not terribly bitter, it's roasty, it's malty, chocolate doesn't dominate but it's there.

M: Surprisingly smooth. It's definitely a mouthful. Very little carbonation.

D: Relatively easy, although I'm sure the 10.5% will counter it's drinkability as a beer you shouldn't, can't, don't want to be drinking all night.

Comments: So glad I tried it and I can't believe it took so long. A Russian Imperial Stout in a can? I'm a believer.

4.43/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

2013 can poured into a snifter. It's no surprise that Brah-lorado (aka, "The Bros.") gave this a perfect score. Its far from a subjective perfect, but it is damn good. For anyone interested, the 2009 can I tasted from a few months back was among the tastiest non-BA imperial stouts I've ever tried. With just 18 months in the cellar, this one pours a deep, dark black with the viscosity of freshly changed motor oil cycled through a 30-year-old Buick for a few days. The nose reminds me of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. At this point I'm reminded of how much the head lingers and contributes to the heavy lacing, presumably due to the heavy body. Flavor-wise, there's a good amount of sweetness, with baking spices, honey and brown sugar at the forefront. There's also some chocolate, some coffee and some lingering floral hops. I couldn't drink this exclusively, nor could I drink it all day, but for an occassional treat, it really hits the spot.

4.32/5  rDev -1.6%

I have had this beer about 10 times, first time reviewing it.
A- Pours pitch black like most stouts. Nice 2" head yields from semi-vigorous pour.
S- Chocolate is the first to hit my nose followed by some coffee aroma. Chocolate smells very sweet and delicious.
T- Taste is complex, sweet, and delicious. Chocolate really comes through nicely. Coffee is there and certainly detectable, but not that strong. Tastes like a founders breakfast stout but with the chocolate flavor outshining the coffee flavor. Alcohol seems top be apparent in some form of warming sweetness right as the beer hits the taste buds. The flavor then progresses to sweet chocolate then coffee and the warming is gone. Ends with a somewhat smokey roasted malt flavor. Dank
M- Nice and thick. Nothing really super outstanding or worth complaining about with the mouthfeel.
D- Drinkability is good considering the ABV. You would be doing this beer an injustice to do anything but sip due to the nice complexity of flavors. Not to say I couldn't drink a four pack if I had enough time.

3.84/5  rDev -12.5%

BAers seem to hype the hell out of this beer! But with good reason. Oskar Blues seems to have snuck its way into Indiana distribution recently... Thats great! Bit expensive... And If Im spending this much on an Imperial Stout again, its gna be Expedition. Anyway its really really good.
A- I have learned something from trying many many examples of the style, and thats the color of the head, and thickness of the head. If it is tan brown or red in color, youve probly got a winner. This stout is BLACK. Its head is somewhere inbetween tan and brown, like some good raw if you know what I mean. Good lacing, great retention.
S-I had to give it 3.75, because of the very apparent alcohol smell, I dont like it, it cuts right thru the good stuff. When you get past the alcohol, everything is there that you want, deeep roasted malt, almost chocolate. Maybe some fig?The alcohol presence is killing it for me. I can just pick out some hop bitterness. I dig stout where I can detect that.
T-Again, alcohol is really detectable. You know what, Im going to let it warm for awhile, then come back to it. Its 9:26 pm, and its been warming up for awhile now. Okay its 9:45 now, and I know thats not alot of time, but it did make quite a difference. Well I gotta say, Im not sure when it was brewed, but its a little "green"...Its just so fresh. I bet some aging would really improve this beer, and I may just do that. Its got big roasty character, dark chocolate... Im really trying to taste hops, but there arent any. I detect just the faintest hint of fig or something like that.
M- Wow! I can say that about this beer, its mouthfeel is heavenly. Its creamy and smooth, almost chewy, but really its all creme. It seems to melt in your mouth, if you will.
Overall? This beer deserves SOME of it hype. Its very well crafted, I love everything about it except a)the price and b)the over apparent presence of alcohol. $16 for a 4 pack? Really? Id rather spend another buck and get 6 Expeditions. Worth a try tho. Its all about the chase, man. Cheers

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

When I am in the mood for an imperial stout, this is a go-to. So dark, rich, flavorful - one of the local gems for a dark beer lover.

4.42/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is what a baseline RIS should taste like. Pours thicker than motor oil and just as black. It can't compete with the new breed of special craft imperials like Hunapuh and Abraxas, but in that top tier of baseline Russian Imperial Stouts with Speedway and Marshall Zhukov.

4.31/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to lightindarkness for the TenFidy!! I have had two great trades with 'the man'!

Pours jet black with prodigious dark creamy head.

Nose of burnt chocolate, strong espresso and malt.

Strong espresso and burnt chocolate hit the tongue followed by anise and malt.

Very creamy but just a tad thin for such a strong flavored stout.

This is an incredible flavor rush. Very well balanced for a 10% abv. Just a little burnt for me but it is a strong contender.

4.1/5  rDev -6.6%

First can of beer that I've had since last summer on the golf course.

A- Pours out of the can like motor oil. Very nice color (pitch black) I think a flashlight couldn't go through this one. Very nice 1/2 inch shaved chocolate color head. It even looks a little purple (Maybe it's the lighting in my kitchen).

S- Amazing! Dark chocolate & Mocha. Maybe even a little chocolate mousse nuances.

T- Very very nice. Lots of chocolate & lots of coffee.

M- Very well rounded. It actually has some soft characteristics to it.

D- Drinkibility is somewhat good for a RIS that is 10% abv, Normally I will only drink one and then move on to something a little lighter.

This is a terrific RIS. I'm glad to finally try this after hearing all the hype about it.

Great beer!!!

4.03/5  rDev -8.2%

A - poured jet black from the can, nice coffee colored head when poured aggressively

S - dark chocolate, hints of vanilla, maybe a trace of nutmeg, tinge of black coffee

TM - sweetly malt bomb in the beginning and a nice bitter hoppy finish- Mouth feel has good carbonation and the alcohol warms on the way down finish is more hop bitter than roasted malts but both are still prevalent in the aftertaste., chocolate mentioned in smell not tasted at all. Almost silky body.

D- good beer balanced but leaves me feeling more like I had an IPA then a stout, good balance 10%ABV is hard to taste but would definitely catch up to you.

4.22/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a Brooklyn Brewery tulip glass

A-Pours a viscous black with dark brown hints of light coming through the edge. A thin 1/4" mocha head forms that slowly gives itself up to a thin film that leaves some lacing with nice alcohol legs

S-Sweetness first, then coffee with roasted malts. A traditional RIS aroma that leads me to believe this will taste just as the aroma hints too.

T-Sweetness, followed by bitter malts. Some bitterness from the hops come through as well. There is coffee notes as well but not as much as the aroma would hint too. The bitterness is well balanced with the sweet maltiness. This is complex for such an unhyped RIS. The alcohol is noticeable. A slow sipper for sure but just the way I like it.

M-Nice creamy full bodied mouthfeel. The alcohol is definitely noticeable. The bitterness from the hops was more than I expected but like i said before, I like multilayered full bodied slow sippers so this is great.

O-Great RIS. One of the best out there that is easily attainable. Oskar Blues is really doing something right with this one.

4.81/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Purchased at a local bottle shop for $16/4 x 12oz cans.

Poured into a room temp nonic.

A - A somewhat viscous black beer. Pours like chocolate milk. Head is a rich medium brown, almost like moose. 2 fingers high. Average lacing.

S - Roasted malt, chocolate, some hint of nuts, reminds me a little of a chocolate milkshake.

T - Dark chocolate. Roasted malt. Some hops. Ends with some slight bitterness of burnt/roasted malt and hops. Its taste easily hides the 10.5% ABV!

M - Smooth and silky, but not like a nitro-tapped Guiness. Chewy.

O - An excellent beer. Easy to drink. In my top ten. Will always be available in my house.

10w40 mixed with dark chocolate, dark coffee, dark fruit, and a hint of degenerate matter from a neutron star.

One isn't enough, two is too many!

4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

cracked with a born on date of 10-03-09 thanks to IDateTheFormula, thank you, poured into a tulip, first sip taken out of the can just to see what it was like(advised by a fellow BA to do so)

appearance - black, light carbonation, little head if any, no lacing to speak of, almost the consistency of motor oil

smell - smell of chocolate and sweet roasted malts, and slight coffee

taste - followed the nose, went with a nice sweet malty chocolate, then it moved into a slightly bitter coffee, then a mild sweet alcohol flavor, very delicious

mouthfeel - thick and silky, the light carbonation kept it smooth, this is what i look for in a texture of a russian imperial stout, top notch

drinkability - while this is a heavy beer it is still very drinkable, just over a long period of time, if i had access to this on a regular basis, it would be something i enjoyed over the entire duration of a tigers game, when im in a state where this is sold i will be picking up a case of this

4.58/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a can into Duvel tulip. Reviewed from notes.

A - Literally pours completely jet black. Oily is a good word to describe it. Two fingers of tan head that dissipates into a thin wisp over the beer. Great lacing, Great looking beer.

S - Boozy bitterness, sweet malt, dark bitter chocolate, and some nice deep fruit notes that I love in a stout.

T - Bitter dark chocolate really comes through, really well balanced, not too malty or sweet, the dark chocolate really helps balance it out.

M - Again likening this brew to oil is the best comparison. In a word, I would describe it as slick. Very nice carbonation, really nice beer to sip on.

O - A great beer, that I had wanted to try for a long time. Really what can I say that hasn't been said on these reviews. Seek it out, it's worth every penny!

4.48/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been wanting to try this beer for awhile. I can say this beer did not disappoint me at all and I will search it out in the future. Definitely worth trying.

4.57/5  rDev +4.1%

Can!

I liked it

A: Dark, Dark, Dark, Brown. It poured out of the can like oil. I looked like oil. Had about the same amount of head.

S: Rich Malt Smell, Think of the best Malt Smell you've ever had, then roast it, and you're close.

T: Delicious, It had malt upfront, Richness throught, then finished with a smoky chocolate flavor. Sublime.

M: Flatish, still good, for the style but a bit flat, didn't take away from the flavor at all, just made it smooth.

D: I liked it, this would be a staple in my fridge if I lived west of the Mississippi.

High Marks all around on this one.

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Aroma: Toasty chocolate malt, molasses, slight notes of the alcohol as it warms.

Appearance: Motor oil black, Nice tan head that drops to thin lacing.

Flavor: Toasted chocolate malt, a little cardboard oxidation.

Mouthfeel: Thick a little sticky but not syurpy, smooth with good carbonation.

Overall: Solid basic Imperial stout. The high abv is not noticeable until it warms up. Not much depth in the flavor which is why I say it's a good basic imperial, but overall it is a decent beer, would buy again but I do have many other favorites ahead of this stout. $14 for 4 pack of cans.

4.4/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours pitch black with a dark brown head. Good amount of lacing remains on the glass.

S: Roasted chocolate and coffee dominate the scent.

T: Bittersweet chocolate flavor with a slight hint of strong roasted coffee at the end.

M: Full body that's smooth and creamy on the tongue. Slight amount of carbonation.

D: High ABV but chocolate flavor makes it easy to drink.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew