Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

This titanic, immensely viscous stout is loaded with inimitable flavors of chocolate-covered caramel and coffee and hide a hefty 98 IBUs underneath the smooth blanket of malt. It is made with enormous amounts of two-row malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, flaked oats and hops.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,438 | Hads: 9,094
4.44/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is big beer. Rich and powerful. Deep and dark. Thick and boozy. Smooth and biting. Easy to see what the ratings are all about. Not sure what more you could ask for in an Imperial Russian Stout. Black color, thick lingering tannish head, smooth going down with a backburn of sweet booziness. Has to be high on my charts.

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured a 12oz. can into an oversized Duvel tulip on 9/8/09

Appearance - black, small white head, little carbonation, no lacing

Smell - roasted malts, alcohol, bitter, chocolate, leather

Taste & Feeling - roasted bitter chocolate malt, vanilla, alcohol, thin for a stout

Overall in 5 words - sipper, great can, solid stout

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

12oz can to pint glass

Appearance - Pours black as motor oil, minimal carbonation, and coffee colored head that settles quickly.

Smell - Roasty, chocolaty, caramelly malts...can also smell the alcohol on this one faintly.

Taste - Smoky on the onset but finishes somewhat bitter and hoppy. The alcohol is there but does not overpower the other flavors. I also pickup some of the roasted coffee/espresso flavors that others have described.

Mouthfeel - Pleasant mouthfeel with some lingering flavors that coat your mouth. Very complex flavor profile with subtle nuances in every sip.

Drinkability - This would be a nice dessert beer right along side a piece of german chocolate cake. However, I can't see drinking more than one in a night.

4.59/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a can on a chilly night.

Ten Fidy pours JET black with a small head that dissipates quickly. There doesn't seem to be any lacing and after a few minutes what little of the coffee brown head there was is now gone.

I am a bit disappointed by the smell here. I was hoping for a huge nose on this beer but am getting bits of chocolate and a big malty scent.

What the nose is lacking the taste makes up for tenfold. I am loving this beer and cannot get enough of it. There is huge notes of coffee and chocolate. This is a sweet beer that would be paired amazingly with some dark chocolate or any dessert. Oddly enough I'm getting hints of fruit which I wasn't expecting at all. Notes of hops may throw a few people off but overall for a beer geek it doesn't get much better.

This beer should not be this easy to drink for a 10.5% beer. This is dangerous because I could put a few of these down and be flat on my ass. The carbonation holds up great and even for a huge stout this beer goes down easy.

This is one of my favorite stouts hands down. If you are a fan of big beers I'd seek this one out. Sadly for me its not available in my state so I have to travel to get it. If you can obtain this beer grab it in a heartbeat because it is hard to be disappointed by this beer.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Wow. What a rich, syrupy Stout! Even the head was brown! This stuff is deep - if you spill it, you might stain your shirt.

Delicious coffee and wine notes, complimented by a smooth but strong mouthfeel.

This is a sipping stout by all means. All-in-all, a superb imperial stout.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

Craft beer in a can... gotta love it! This has to be the darkest, most extreme canned beer I've ever poured. Into an imperial pint glass, with plenty of room to spare.

A - Dark and thick pour, similar to spent motor oil. Foams a lovely, rocky dark-cherry colored head. Very appealing to look at.

S - Dark and malty as expected. A mild molasses sweetness also in there. Again, very inviting and appealing.

T - Initial flavors of burnt malt and a caramelized sweetness. Molasses and brown sugar notes hidden behind the wallop of burnt malt. I really dug this flavor.

M / D - Ten FIDY sits in your mouth for a long time, coating it with its flavor. As far as drinkability, I was able to knock two down pretty quickly. For the style, it's pretty drinkable. After those two, I was feeling alright with the universe.

Ten FIDY is an excellent Imperial Stout. Perfect for a bitter cold night like the one it was consumed on.

you will not find a better representation of a non-barrel aged imperial stout. everything about this beer is far and above better than anything else on the market.

viscous, dark, heavey, complex, beautiful. notes of chocolate, coffee, tobacco, black licorice, sweet sweet sweet malt. a stunning beer. anytime I travel to a state where oskar blues is distributed, I take my cash and stock up on ten fidy. try it, you won't be disappointed.

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Oskar Blues Brewing Company, Colorado
---from can to English pint glass---

I am pretty sure that this is not beer; it is the stuff that keeps the gears in my car from grinding against each other. Black. 2 fingers of daaaark head, good lacing.

Smells beautiful, super sweet malt, oatmeal, molasses, chocolate and hints of coffee.

Sweet, bitter, chocolate covered coffee beans, alcohol, earthy hops.

Creamy and bitter at the same time… the alcohol will warm you in even Minnesota like temperatures…thick and heavy bodied beer. You almost have to shake it to get it out of the glass!

Whoa. Now I know why I paid 15 bones for a 4 pack! This should define the term, ‘Imperial Stout’. Just, wow. I’m finding it hard to criticize this beer…

3.77/5  rDev -12.9%

Apperance: dark as the moonless night with a thin head even after a slow pour
Smell: dark roast coffee with a sprinkle of chocolate. A strong alchohol note present.
Taste: Lots of coffee with dark chocolate. A strong boozy aftertaste that detracts from the goodness.
Mouthfeel: slick on the tongue.
Drinkability: due to the strong alchohol presence I have detract from here. It is difficult to have more than one due to the strong flavors.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

First of all, this nasty SOB slapped me across the face with ink when I cracked it open. Sprayed my counter and my keyboard with its contents. I guess I've never cared because I haven't had something leave a stain so noticeable before.

Truly aggressive pour, like dumping out an ab from last summer that was left there by your brother in law when he borrowed your cooler. I was ignorant because I think the Duvel bulb allows you to be. I wanted to slam the gas pedal on this one as soon as I saw a 10% ABV RIS in a can. As if someone threw you the keys to their Camaro after they somehow managed to wedge a Ferrari under the hood. I was daring this fucker to make a move.

I know the appearance on this is none other than oil can contents, its no coincidence. I got a good inch and a half head on it that retreated within a minute or so. nice bubbles. reminds me of making barbeque sauce and forgetting to stir after you put in the molasses. it has some nice lacing, it looks like the curtains were dyed with buckets of coffee. Sumatran or Jamaican brewed strong.
smell is at first chocolate and then some caramel, burnt/malty smell at the end of the snuff. Coffee grounds in a handful of milkduds.

For the chocolate smell you get up front, it's really non-existent in the taste. The taste is strong coffee with a little burned something or other. I have to say that I somehow get licorice as it falls off my tongue. Right near the back of my tongue, and before I swallow, I can sense black licorice. Odd. I have either never detected that or couldn't put my finger on it from a RIS before, but that's what it is. I still get some milk dud, but its on the third sip and its surrounded by coffee and whispers the word "alcohol" on the way down my throat.

Not as heavy as I anticipated, but this didn't disappoint me. For everything else this was, it went down really easy.
I was quite shocked at how delightfully thin it was.

Drinkability? you bet your ass. this stuff is an instant favorite. I got it in a mixer because a friend purchased a four-pack, raved about it, and then the douchenozzle never shared one. I could see myself having more than one. Shit ,I drank half of it writing this, oops. I truly can't decide if two is too much, or if I can go for another. I have a solution, I only purchased one because I wanted to try some other winter ales that I hadn't seen before. oh well, I will be buying more.

How in world do they get this level of deliciousness into a can on a consistent basis? I have had Dale's and Old Chub before, and now this. I am truly blown away by OBB. Thank you for letting me enjoy more than a hockey game on a cold Tuesday night.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

Can poured into a Weyerbacher tulip glass.

A - Pours like an oil slick, midnight black and extremely viscous. From a fairly gentle pour gives a 1 finger chestnut head, recedes to almost nothing and little lacing.

S - Notes of coffee and bitter burnt grains. Some piney hops in there as well. A swirl or two brings out some light esters, banana/cloves. Slightly boozy but not unpleasant.

T - As with the nose, notes of bitter burnt grain, coffee, sweet chocolate. Caramel and vanilla balances out the roasty grains making this very smooth. Finishes with piney hops. A few swirls halfway through the glass brought out some banana and cloves. This is a fresh can so it's slight boozy but the heat

M - Heavy bodied and slightly chewy. Extremely smooth even with the big flavors going on here. Some burnt grains and bitter hops linger on the palate and tongue.

D - This is without a doubt the tastiest RIS I've had so far. Booze is hidden fairly well. Very complex and robust.

4.58/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours from the can like motor oil into large snifter. About a quarter inch of chocolaty head which quickly dissipates leaving islands of residual lacing on the glass... This beer is sexy. Smells of molasses, chocolate, raisins intermixed with slight alcohol vapors. Tastes of sweet chocolaty malt, molasses, raisins, coffee, slight soy with a touch of smoke. Mouthfeel is exceptionally smooth and thick with the perfect touch of carbonation, this beer begs to be sipped and enjoyed slowly.

3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

On tap, poured into 11 oz. rounded glass, American Craft, Brookline, MA.

A: Extremely dark, brown layer of head surrounds the top, which holds throughout the entirety of the drink.

S: Mild smell - hints of coffee, chocolate.

T: Sweet, candy like - chocolate tastes more pronounced than coffee-like tastes. Sweetness becomes sharper, almost too sharp, as the drink progresses. A little too much on my tongue.

M: Initial hops, transitions fairly smooth with a bit of bitterness in the aftertaste.

D: Tasty. Not my favorite of the Russian Imperials I've had, but easily gets the job done. Will have to try this one again.

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Finally bit the $4 per 12oz pricetag in local area and tried this beer. I orefer bottles & collect bottles but it was time to try this brew...

Beer initially was just ok. Tasted ok...but need to let beer set for alil bit and warm up...once warm, its a bit better...

beer is decent. Deserves its ranking on BA...they need to bottle this tho

try it

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

I'll probably say what has alerady been said countless times, but this is one incredible stout and hands down the best beer ever to come in a can.
Pours really black and really smooth into a Stone RIS glass. You can just tell this is one viscous brew. I must say, there is something very satisfying about pouring a beer this black and thick from a can. A small, creamy dark tan head slowly develops. The head looks like, if you could scoop it off and put it in a glass by itself, it would be somethign someone would pay $6 for at starbucks. Alas, it does not last terribly long before reducing to a small coat on the top of the black hole that is the beer.
Smell is mostly of roasted malts with a nice whiff of hops.
Taste is out of this world. As a big fan of the style, I've had my share of RIS's, and this is the 1st one in a while that has really exceeded my expectations. Very intense onslaught on the taste buds of dark roasted malts, dark bitter chocolate and enough hops to notice, but not enough to overpower the brew, as some American interpretations of the style do. Hop bitterness lingers in the finish, mingling for awhile with some leftover roastiness. This is no beginner RIS, thats for sure.
Mouthfeel is smooth as silk and very heavy on the palate. Perfect for the style, IMO.
Drinkablity? Well, I cant wait for the next sip.
All in all a very impressive stout...damn its good.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Wow, what a beer. I found the aroma to be a bit boozey and lacked some of the usual characteristics of an imperial stout but everything else about this beer is excellent. Drinkability is really high for me as it has a very smooth finish and a soft mouth feel. The only downside is the price and amount you get per can.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Pours out black as night with a half-finger, light-brown head with little retention.

Smell is dark fruits, roated malts, and a little chocolate. Taste is dara fruits, roasted malts, a little pine, and a TINY bit of chocolate. Really a great beer with a nice thick mouthfeel. Not very many other easy to get stouts.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a snifter.

A - Can you say, "I just got inked by an octopus."? Black and ink-like in appearance and color. Dropped this into a pint glass without holding back much on the pour. This allowed for a decent head to form which I didn't get much of when I had this the first time. Dungeony lace formed all around the glass.

S - Smell of dark, rich roasted coffee, marvelous chocolate and anise.

T - Coffee! Dark roasted malt! Necco wafers.

M - Smooth and silky at first, then a slap of carbonation, hop bitterness and alcohol at the end. Full-bodied.

D - Not by any means a session beer (10 ABV), but I end up buying a 4 pack every time I pick it up because one isn't enough. Do yourself a favor and spread these out and savor them. You'll enjoy it more and not fall down enjoying one too many. Great beer for the price and ABV.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

What a great example of this style.

Had on tap and appropriately served in a small snifter. Pours pitch black with a dark toffee thin head of small bubbles. A lot of chocolate and coffee here, but everything in balance. Also a hint of vanilla that tastes very natural-not the artificial taste that is often present in many stouts. Drinkability is on par for the style--it is rather heavy in body, but the 10%ABV is not as apparent as expected. Great with a chocolate based dessert or as a dessert by itself.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance is pitch black. I mean I held it up to the sun, directly in front of the sun, and no light penetrated. A short chocolatey creamy head formed and left little lacing.

Smell is a sweetish, alcohol with a hint of hops in the background.

Taste is great. This is definitely an imperial stout. The alcohol is upfront and slightly balalnced with malts and hops.

Mouthfeel is a creamy thick experience.

Overall an excellent example of an imperial stout.

3.92/5  rDev -9.5%

I have waited far too long to actually buy a 4 pack of this stuff to enjoy. I'm glad I finally bought some. Poured into my DFH signature glass.

A: Umm.... you guessed it... black. About a quarter inch of brown head. Looks great. The head ends up as just a brown ring around the edges of the glass.

S: A good mix of vanilla, chocolate and coffee. Only hints of the 9.5%

T: A sweet vanilla and molasses start, followed by a nice touch of dark fruits covered in dark chocolate. Leaves you with a taste of a smokey burnt coffee bitterness. The alocohol is in there too and becomes more apparent the longer you hold it in your mouth. Not too hot for 9.5 but hot enough.

M: Nice carbonation, full bodied, a sticky creamy film coats the mouth afterwards.

D: A little hotter than similar beers I have had.

4.97/5  rDev +14.8%

A - 10w40...no wait 5w30...maybe it could resurface my driveway

S - Blueberry pancakes (yeah..really..) with molasses and a roasted, burnt sugar aroma

T&M - Holy moly, mother of god...not really sure where to start. The flavor profile and feel was phenomenal. Molasses/Brown sugar, with some coffee, some dark berry, dried fruit in there as well. Got to admit I had trouble focusing on the elements of the flavors becasue they were so well balanced. Just the right viscosity, very cohesive.

D - This one ain't about how many you can put away...

A great beer, probably my favorite RIS so far. (We will see how the Stone cellars) Not sure how it got any subpar reviews (maybe drink it in the sun on a hot day?), but they should seriously consider revisiting this one. Mine was canned 12-10-09, find one of these and you may want to update your review..

4.11/5  rDev -5.1%

This beer came in a 12oz can with a clearly marked canning date on the bottom. (10-28-08.)

I have been to Oskar's Blues in Lyons, CO. I don't remember having this beer there. This was years ago, before they started putting their beer in cans. It's an awesome town close to Boulder and the bar is comfortable and has great live music. A good place to cool down in the middle of summer.

Anyways, the beer pours heavy and thick. (For all I know Ten Fidy is the final gravity of the beer.) It hit my glass with a plop sound. No head formed at first so I gave it a strong pour. Then, when the beer was all in the glass, the head began to overtake the beer from the top down. Very interesting behavior. The beer is dark as an overcast new-moon night and has thick, fluffy caramel colored head. Head retention is awesome and lace coats every centimeter of the glass with seemingly permanent brown fuzz. It is hard to imagine a better looking beer in this style.

The aroma is not as strong as I expected. There is no trace of alcohol and definitely no hops. There is a sweet chocolate smell, but that is about it. I'm a little disappointed in this aspect of the beer.

The taste is of lots of roasted barley. There is a pronounced burnt flavor here that leads into hop bitterness. A little more sweetness would have been nice to balance the flavor a bit. As it is, the burnt notes overpower the rest of the flavors. There is no alcohol flavor, with leaves me a little disappointed. I like for RISs to have a discernible alcohol warmth to them.

With such a heavy beer you expect that it will lay across your tongue thickly and coat your mouth with a long-lasting flavor. In this case, Ten Fidy lives up to expectations and more. There's no need to take a drink more than every few minutes because you will still be tasting it from your last drink.

There's not much need to have more than one of these. In fact, halfway through I'm already looking forward to something lighter. This beer is perfect for the winter season.

Overall, Ten Fidy is a great beer, but it is surpassed in its style by others.

russian imperial stout in a can! obviously you have to love that. jet black with minor head... chocolate and alcohol on nose, black patent malt and creamy chocolate in taste. rich, heavy, yet drinkable. i'll definitely be bringing a six-pack of ten FIDY with me next camping trip...

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned on October 11, 2010 and poured December 24, 2010. How can I not want to try the beer that "puts the A in Holy Crap."

A: Awesome. It's black, it's thick, it's one hell of a pour. Minimal head and no lacing. The side of my glass is beautifully clean with each sip.

S: If it rates lower anywhere it's here. There is a malty aroma to it, but nothing overpowering.

T: Wow, my taste buds loving this... This beer is good! It's not terribly bitter, it's roasty, it's malty, chocolate doesn't dominate but it's there.

M: Surprisingly smooth. It's definitely a mouthful. Very little carbonation.

D: Relatively easy, although I'm sure the 10.5% will counter it's drinkability as a beer you shouldn't, can't, don't want to be drinking all night.

Comments: So glad I tried it and I can't believe it took so long. A Russian Imperial Stout in a can? I'm a believer.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew