Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a can on a chilly night.

Appearance:

Ten Fidy pours JET black with a small head that dissipates quickly. There doesn't seem to be any lacing and after a few minutes what little of the coffee brown head there was is now gone.

Smell:

I am a bit disappointed by the smell here. I was hoping for a huge nose on this beer but am getting bits of chocolate and a big malty scent.

Taste:

What the nose is lacking the taste makes up for tenfold. I am loving this beer and cannot get enough of it. There is huge notes of coffee and chocolate. This is a sweet beer that would be paired amazingly with some dark chocolate or any dessert. Oddly enough I'm getting hints of fruit which I wasn't expecting at all. Notes of hops may throw a few people off but overall for a beer geek it doesn't get much better.

Mouthfeel:

This beer should not be this easy to drink for a 10.5% beer. This is dangerous because I could put a few of these down and be flat on my ass. The carbonation holds up great and even for a huge stout this beer goes down easy.

Overall:

This is one of my favorite stouts hands down. If you are a fan of big beers I'd seek this one out. Sadly for me its not available in my state so I have to travel to get it. If you can obtain this beer grab it in a heartbeat because it is hard to be disappointed by this beer.

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Wow. What a rich, syrupy Stout! Even the head was brown! This stuff is deep - if you spill it, you might stain your shirt.

Delicious coffee and wine notes, complimented by a smooth but strong mouthfeel.

This is a sipping stout by all means. All-in-all, a superb imperial stout.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

First of all, this nasty SOB slapped me across the face with ink when I cracked it open. Sprayed my counter and my keyboard with its contents. I guess I've never cared because I haven't had something leave a stain so noticeable before.

Truly aggressive pour, like dumping out an ab from last summer that was left there by your brother in law when he borrowed your cooler. I was ignorant because I think the Duvel bulb allows you to be. I wanted to slam the gas pedal on this one as soon as I saw a 10% ABV RIS in a can. As if someone threw you the keys to their Camaro after they somehow managed to wedge a Ferrari under the hood. I was daring this fucker to make a move.

I know the appearance on this is none other than oil can contents, its no coincidence. I got a good inch and a half head on it that retreated within a minute or so. nice bubbles. reminds me of making barbeque sauce and forgetting to stir after you put in the molasses. it has some nice lacing, it looks like the curtains were dyed with buckets of coffee. Sumatran or Jamaican brewed strong.
smell is at first chocolate and then some caramel, burnt/malty smell at the end of the snuff. Coffee grounds in a handful of milkduds.

For the chocolate smell you get up front, it's really non-existent in the taste. The taste is strong coffee with a little burned something or other. I have to say that I somehow get licorice as it falls off my tongue. Right near the back of my tongue, and before I swallow, I can sense black licorice. Odd. I have either never detected that or couldn't put my finger on it from a RIS before, but that's what it is. I still get some milk dud, but its on the third sip and its surrounded by coffee and whispers the word "alcohol" on the way down my throat.

Not as heavy as I anticipated, but this didn't disappoint me. For everything else this was, it went down really easy.
I was quite shocked at how delightfully thin it was.

Drinkability? you bet your ass. this stuff is an instant favorite. I got it in a mixer because a friend purchased a four-pack, raved about it, and then the douchenozzle never shared one. I could see myself having more than one. Shit ,I drank half of it writing this, oops. I truly can't decide if two is too much, or if I can go for another. I have a solution, I only purchased one because I wanted to try some other winter ales that I hadn't seen before. oh well, I will be buying more.

How in world do they get this level of deliciousness into a can on a consistent basis? I have had Dale's and Old Chub before, and now this. I am truly blown away by OBB. Thank you for letting me enjoy more than a hockey game on a cold Tuesday night.

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Craft beer in a can... gotta love it! This has to be the darkest, most extreme canned beer I've ever poured. Into an imperial pint glass, with plenty of room to spare.

A - Dark and thick pour, similar to spent motor oil. Foams a lovely, rocky dark-cherry colored head. Very appealing to look at.

S - Dark and malty as expected. A mild molasses sweetness also in there. Again, very inviting and appealing.

T - Initial flavors of burnt malt and a caramelized sweetness. Molasses and brown sugar notes hidden behind the wallop of burnt malt. I really dug this flavor.

M / D - Ten FIDY sits in your mouth for a long time, coating it with its flavor. As far as drinkability, I was able to knock two down pretty quickly. For the style, it's pretty drinkable. After those two, I was feeling alright with the universe.

Ten FIDY is an excellent Imperial Stout. Perfect for a bitter cold night like the one it was consumed on.

you will not find a better representation of a non-barrel aged imperial stout. everything about this beer is far and above better than anything else on the market.

viscous, dark, heavey, complex, beautiful. notes of chocolate, coffee, tobacco, black licorice, sweet sweet sweet malt. a stunning beer. anytime I travel to a state where oskar blues is distributed, I take my cash and stock up on ten fidy. try it, you won't be disappointed.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew