Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros

A short review since I had this a few weeks back.

A: black and thick, almost like motor oil that is past it's scheduled change. little to no foam when poured into a glass

S: like a cross between cocoa and roasted coffee

T: like a dark heavy coffee.

M: pleasant, not to heavy

D: A good beer, I am not a Russian imperial stout drinker, but I enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone that like imperial stouts.

wstein70, Dec 03, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Gorgeous black opaque with a creamy tan head, all foamy and small.

Smell is of olive and beef jerky and rich malts. Wow, my mouth is watering already. I'm sooo excited for tasting this. Other smells? It has a richness and a metallic tang.

Taste is potent and meaty, with a metal bite and metal afterbite. A bit of a bitter kick to the end. It has some sourness that twists up my mouth, and it's super tasty. The middle flavor is dark chocolate and sour cherry, just enough to add a lot of interest and satisfaction without turning into a strictly chocolate beer.

I love this mouthfeel. It's rich, thick, with a tongue coating weight and just... it's like whole milk, or that superfood green juice. Like the they feel in my mouth, except this has carbonation. I love thick beverages, and this does the job well. The mouthfeel is incredibly satisfying.

This is so incredibly drinkable. But it's also 9.5% ABV. And it's expensive. So, sadly, this is not a beer I can drink a lot of, though I do think it's worth it's price. Instead, it's a good start to the night. Mmmm. Mmmm. My mouth is SO HAPPY.

Perkyanda, Mar 27, 2010
4.38/5  rDev 0%

Thank you for the cans Oskar Blues, and the 12 oz serving size. This being my second can, I reminded myself to pour vigorously in order to enjoy a nice two finger mocha head above the black, thick body.

Aroma is faint for such a big beer - Slight smokiness, very slight booziness, and a light leafy hop presence.

T - The flavor is where this beer really kicks off. Bittwersweet chocolate and slightly sweeter chocolate cake, with more smoke, molasses and a leafy hop presence in the back. Outstanding. Not getting the fruits that other reviewers got, but the beer doesn't suffer for it.

M - Thick mouth, coats the tongue, low carbonation, but some, and no carbonic bite.

D - At 10.5%, I wouldn't have more than two, but for the style, this is excellent, I will go back for another.

HeadwatersFinest, Jan 26, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

codybear127, Nov 11, 2012

iKON, Dec 17, 2012

superdan73, Apr 28, 2012

TMI, Jun 22, 2014
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from a can into a snifter. 3rd one I’ve had out of the 4 pack…haven’t reviewed yet
A – pours a very pretty looking, thick tan head…3 fingers initially. Slowly fading down. Thick, brown/tan bubbles…leaving an ever-so-slight lacing on the side of the glass. It pours black. Can’t really describe it other than black…”the darkness is coming” indeed! Head fades into an extremely thin layer that just barely covers the top of the beer.
S – smells like a nice roasted coffee…the roasted smell almost makes me think of a burning sugar/syrup when cooking. Dark chocolate (slight hint). A hot boozy smell lingers tantalizingly at the end, hinting at the beast you are about to drink!
T – very rich flavor. Immediately a heavy roasted malt flavor hits the palette. It has a bitterness I associate with a very strong batch of coffee. Tastes like strong, bitter cooking chocolate. This coffee flavor lingers for awhile. You can just barely taste the hops in the background…a very nice addition. I normally don’t get many hops in the background of a stout. This starts out sweet and gives way to the nice bitterness at the end. This beer is delicious.
M – Very low carbonation…when you open the can you almost think it might be flat! Very thick body…smooth. I would love to try this nitro-tapped.
O – One of the best things to ever come out of a can. A tad pricey ($15/4pack), but I would say it is worth it. If I had more money, I would stock up on this and see if it ages well in the can. The alcohol is surprisingly well hidden. I normally am not a fan of stouts but this is helping bring me around. I would say this is a little heavy on the roasted flavors…some may like it, some may not. The beer is damn good but not perfect…worth picking it up and I enjoyed every sip.

Jagen, Oct 26, 2012

Aquapolo1, Jun 01, 2013

NERM, Dec 10, 2013

Matt_Quinn, Apr 07, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a can into a snifter.

A: Midnight black. Can't see a ray of light through this one. Leaves a nice dark tan head that leaves a good amount of lacing.

S: Chocolate, coffee, and a little bit of vanilla. Although the beer smells very good, it doesn't really stand out as much as I would expect, especially considering how it tastes...

T: Coffee, chocolate, some vanilla, molasses, and toffee. This beer is very sweet, but it balances well with the roasted malts and bitter coffee taste. Great coffee aftertaste.

M: One of the best, if not the best, feeling beers I've ever had. So thick you can almost bite down into it. VERY smooth. Creamy as well. Carbonation is perfect, in my opinion. Hides the alcohol very well.

O: One of my go-to stouts. I want to age some to see how it tastes with a year or more on it, but I can't stop drinking from my stash... Oskar Blues hits it out of the park with this beer.

Bedrocker, Mar 26, 2014

Thebarrick56, Apr 14, 2014

ponderous, Jun 19, 2014

tcoppi, Jul 11, 2014

DRINKING_GOOD_BEER, Sep 15, 2014

dougrb75, Jan 26, 2012

dmwcpa, Jul 03, 2014
4.41/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pour out of a 12oz can into a short glass (drank in two servings). The beer poured a deep dark black color with some thickness (although I remembered it being a bit thicker in previous tastings) with a small about of drank brown lacing that dissipates very quickly. The aroma is of dark fruits, rich dark chocolates, espresso, and roasted malts. The taste, which mirrors the marvelous smell, is extremely satisfying with it's complex mixture of chocolate, espresso, roasted malts, dark fruits, toffee, and even a subtle hints of mocha and sweet chocolate. Rich and full flavored from first to last sip. I am extremely found of this beer, haven't had it and sometime but it is just as good now as it was the first time I had it. Great beer from beginning to end.

mjmadden, Jan 21, 2014
4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a pint glass.

Wow. I've never seen anything this dark come out of a can. I don't think I was quite prepared for it. It pours nearly jet black, with about a quarter inch of dark brown head that dissipates quickly, leaving minimal lacing.

The smell isn't nearly as impressive as the appearance. It's pleasant enough, with notes of caramel, molasses, and coffee, but the aroma is quite mild, and perhaps a little too subdued. It doesn't provide too much of a strong impression up front.

The taste, on the other hand, doesn't hold back. The initial tastes are rich caramel and molasses, with intense coffee following close behind. There's some chocolate mixed in there, along with a mild cherry taste, but they don't overwhelm. The aftertaste is primarily coffee and molasses, with the coffee flavors lingering for quite a while. Overall, it's quite a well balanced RIS, with all of the flavors complimenting one another very nicely.

The body is lighter than some similar Russian Imperial Stouts, but it's by no means thin. There's very little carbonation here, and it definitely coats the tongue, though without being excessively syrupy. Honestly, the body of this beer is as close to perfect for the style as I've experienced; it's not overwhelmingly heavy, but there's still plenty there to enjoy.

This beer is also impressively drinkable. It hides its alcohol quite well, and the flavors are well balanced, and don't get old. It's also not oppressively sweet, which I feel can hinder the drinkability of comparable such stouts.

On the whole, this is an excellent brew, and goes a long way toward showing that canned beer should not be looked down upon.

JalfPsu, Jan 02, 2010