Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros

4.34/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark black out of the can with a solid head which died down quickly. A bit of lacing around the glass. Nice boozy nose up front with chocolate and roasty malts on the back. Taste is pretty consistent with the smell. A bit of booze with nice dark chocolate and burnt caramel on the finish. Good mouthfeel for a stout. Covers the entire mouth and hangs for quite a bit. Overall a solid beer and even better in a can since I can sneak it onto golf courses.!

4.49/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Love the can! Please people can more beer! That's my pitch, I avoided Oskar Blues for years then they moved into the neighborhood and I began trying various ones. This one I avoided because of cost and I wasn't a huge fan of stouts, but this poor store was going out of business and I got these babies for a dirt cheap price, I hate it for the store, but I am happy I got to try this beer for a more reasonable price. Its a great beer but not worth the $16-20 I have seen it priced for a four pack, I got this for substantially less than that. Its a great beer, no doubt, but I have a hard time spending the hard earned cash on a beer I had never tried and only get four for $16, at best.

Appearance: Dark as widows dreams, this stuff does not open to light, it sucks it in. Poured fairly aggressively and had a good finger or so of foamy brown head that just stayed there like a stiff peak of brownish egg whites.

Smell: Nutty, burned chocolate, a little bit of molasses but what you expect of a good RIS.

Taste: Man this beer tastes divine and I bet it gets even better with age and the fact that its in a can means as long as you don't screw it up with heat, this baby will last for damn near the end of days, at least my days, but I doubt I let it tarry that long. It has the perfect blend of chocolate, roasted malts, sweet but not too sweet, but not overly bitter either, you can get in trouble with this beer. Its very drinkable for its 10.5%. I also love that they didn't muck this one up with coffee or coffee and chocolate, the chocolate thing is alright, but I cannot stand the coffee infusion thing, and I am a a coffee drinker, but not in my beer, unless its a subtle thing, like Founders does. I may need to do a side by side comparison, but its going to be a cooler day for that. I have totally been into IPA's lately but since I was getting such a deal, I figured what the hell.

Overall: Great beer, I scored a hell of a deal, so I cannot complain, nor would I have otherwise, but the deal made it all the sweeter.

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm not sexist BUT THIS BEER IS A MAN's BEER!!! Probably one of the best beers I've ever tasted in a can. This beer here will grow you a full beard and hair on your chest... Good stuff here. I got a four pack and split it 2/2 with a friend. It just took two beers for me to feel nice. I could have a low tolerance but damn. This beer tasted strong.. Well brewed.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a small snifter.

Pours jet black with a deep khaki head, which falls quickly but laces well.

Man what an aroma! Full of roasted malt, dark fruits, sugary goodness, a bit of coffee... This is just a fantastic smell. It smells like a rich dessert.

And the taste follows through on the promise. Cocoa, plums and raisins, some coffee, big charred malt, a bit of hops... this is what an imperial stout should taste like. Everything is big, but nothing is out of whack. I suppose if you set out to find something to dislike here you could locate it, but you'd have to look hard.

Mouthfeel is as big as the rest of this beer. Thick , rich, oily, substantial. It fits perfectly.

I enjoy a good imperial stout. I like them any time of year, not just fall/winter. This is one of the best out there. The flavor is what it should be, with everything playing well with everything else. Well worth seeking out.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

12 ounce can into snifter, canned on 9/16/2013. Pours dense pitch black color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense dark tan head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, roasted malt, caramel, toast, molasses, raisin, plum, and roast/toasted earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of big dark/roasted malt notes with light-moderate fruitiness; with good strength. Taste of big dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, coffee, toast, caramel, molasses, raisin, plum, light char, and roast/toasted earthiness. Good amount of roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, cocoa, roast, coffee, toast, caramel, molasses, light char, raisin, plum, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Fantastic complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/roasted malt and light-moderate fruitiness; with a great roasted bitterness/sweetness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and very full bodied; with a very creamy, moderately slick, and lightly chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is an awesome imperial stout. All around great complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/roasted malt flavors and light-moderate fruitiness; and very smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- After a strong pour down the middle of an oversized wine glass (really need to buy stout glasses) I was left with an impressive head that receded slowly. Lacing is impressive.

S- Powerful and enjoyable, I can't quite figure out what I'm smelling but I'm glad that I'm smelling it.

T- This is where this stout pulls away from the rest of the crowd. I am getting more of all of the flavors that I like in a stout. I'm definitely sensing a chocolate presence.

M- Smooth, sticky, and straight up awesome for a 10.5% ABV stout. It has a little fizz but it's not distracting from a perfect drinking experience.

O- I waited to review this until I had my second can. I'm glad that I did because in the interim I read the BA section on proper beer serving temperature. It took me 40 minutes at regular room temp (approx 70) to get this to 50 degrees. It was worth the wait. The first can was enjoyable but served at proper temp, this stout is outstanding.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew