Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
Fahz

10-31-2013 03:25:34 | More by Fahz
MaddDogg84

10-31-2013 01:10:48 | More by MaddDogg84
phideltashaggy

Tennessee

3.73/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from the can into a stein

A- Beautiful pitch black. No light is getting through this beast. Thin brown head receded quickly. Not much lacing sticks, but it looks beautiful when taking a sip.

S- Mostly coffee, maybe a smidge of dark chocolate. Something is just a little sweet in the nose. Surprisingly, I can't smell the 10.5%.

T- More of the nose. Lots of coffee, some black chocolate, and some malty sweetness. Lots of chocolate and coffee sort of bitterness. You can taste the alcohol for just a split second before the bitterness kicks in.

MF- Very little carbonation. Sort of creamy, thick mouthfeel. A small, sharp bitterness stays in the back of the throat long after the sip was swallowed. Alcohol burn happens very slightly for just a nano second in the back of the throat.

Overall, this is the most drinkable 10.5% RIS I've ever had. This is pretty good, and I would definitely like to have another on a cold winter night.

10-31-2013 01:05:12 | More by phideltashaggy
YCantWeNotBeSober

4.29/5  rDev -2.1%

A - pours dark black with a little less viscosity than I was expecting. Beautiful roasty brown head turns soapy quite quickly (was expecting it to be creamier)

S - milk chocolate, coffee, dark fruit, licorice. Honestly getting some heavy apple cider-like notes.

T - Absolutely delicious. Starts with a bright, sweet, dark fruit flavor that fades into the roastier flavors. A nice lasting roasty bitterness on the finish. Super balanced between sweet and dry. Multi-dimensional flavors keep it interesting.

M - Creamier than the appearance led to expect. like silk on the tongue and actually quite oily.

O - Was reluctant to buy due to the high price tag but after hearing so many good things about it I had to try it and I'm glad I did. Not necessarily something I would purchase again with so many equally good RIS options, but definitely worth a try.

10-30-2013 22:20:19 | More by YCantWeNotBeSober

10-29-2013 22:53:08 | More by JLeet
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

4.34/5  rDev -0.9%

12oz can, procured in Denver a few weeks ago, thanks to the Beer Diaries' Mr. Mike for the sample! "Show me yo fidy's" - heh. Combined with the 'Cancupiscent' (lustful, essentially) mention just under the rim, I'm surprised that this doesn't get some sort of mature rating from the guv'mt overseers. Oh, right, this is an adult beverage.

This beer pours a solid, light-destroying black abyss, with very, very subtle basal cola highlights, and four fingers (had to prematurely stop pouring before it got any higher) of dense, thickly foamy chocolate milk brown head, which leaves a perfect band of drooping webbed lace around the glass as it slowly ebbs out of sight.

It smells of chalky bittersweet cocoa, mildly roasted caramel malt, toffee pudding, acrid black orchard fruit, vanilla extract, a mild woody graininess, charred ash, and a simmering edgy booziness. The taste is again quite enamoured with the dark milk chocolate, all creamy and chunky, with a caramel malt strength that would be notable in damned near any other beer, some seemingly (mistaken, I gather) wood-borne vanilla, underripe fleshy plums and cherries, a twinge of watery espresso, and a now fully obfuscated alcohol warmth (I know its there, but have a devil of a time picking it out.)

The bubbles are fairly subdued, but not exactly inert - they know they've got some background work to put in, the body a stoic medium-heavy weight, thick, robust, and full in its creamy smoothness. It finishes astonishingly on the near-dry side, the lulling smoke, and well, maybe some under the radar hops taking the still prominent chocolate, caramel, fruit, and booze headliners to task.

One crazily drinkable (maybe it's just the can, vs. a bomber), and enjoyable RIS. The chocolate and more standard malt interplay is civil and agreeable, benefiting all. And the alcohol, how about that - 21-proof, and barely a tic. All in all, one of the best, and certainly most balanced versions of the style that I have yet to encounter.

10-29-2013 20:11:06 | More by biboergosum

itsscience

10-29-2013 04:02:56 | More by itsscience
StoutHunter

4.31/5  rDev -1.6%

I picked up a can of Oskar Blues Ten FIDY last month for $3.79 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for a long time and it was the beer that I wanted to try the most after I heard that Oskar Blues was coming to Michigan, I hope it doesn't disappoint so lets see how it goes. Canned on 9/16/2013. Poured from a 12oz can into a snifter.

A- The can looks good, it's got a nice clean look to it and while it may not be the most eye catching it does have some funny stuff written on the can. It poured a dark motor oil black color that didn't let any light come through and it had two and a half fingers worth of creamy dark mocha colored head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of nice thick rings of lacing behind. This is a very good looking RIS, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness followed by lots of sweet and dark roasted malts that impart a very roasty, slightly charred, dark chocolate, and vanilla aromas that come together to make an aroma that reminds me of chocolate ice cream. Up next I get a lighter boozy aroma with some nice coffee aromas coming through. The aroma was very nice and it was full of great roasted malt aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of dark roasted malts that impart a sweet malt, roasted, slightly charred, and very chocolate like flavors with a little bit of coffee and vanilla showing up in the background. Up next comes a lighter alcohol flavor that's a little warming with very light dark fruit and slight toffee flavor. On the finish there's a fairly lower amount of bitterness with a very roasty and chocolate like aftertaste. This is a very nice tasting RIS, it was very true to style and it didn't seem to have any weak points.

M- Pretty smooth. clean, rich, creamy, slightly sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was very good and it worked very well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a very good example of the style, it was pretty spot on for the style with none of the aspects seeming out of place and there was some really nice balance and just enough complexity. This beer had great drinkability, it was very smooth for the style, clean, creamy, a little filling and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, this might be one of the most drinkable RIS's I've had, I could get in some trouble with this beer since I don't think it would be pretty easy for me to drink a few of these. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it may be the best mouthfeel I have encountered in an RIS and it has everything that I would want in the style. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I disliked or would change. I would for sure buy this beer again, I will be picking up some more next time I go to the store so I can throw some in the cellar and see how it develops over time, it's a little pricey, but I think it's worth it. I would for sure recommend this to anyone who likes the style, this is a pretty great example of an RIS. All in all i was very happy with this beer and I think it's safe to say it lived up to my expectations. I still think Founders Imperial Stout is my favorite RIS, but I think this one is close to be as good and I would say it's up there as one of the better RIS's I have had. Great job guys, I really enjoyed this beer and this is another beer that I will anticipate the release of, keep up the good work guys. This is now my favorite Oskar Blues beer.

10-29-2013 03:43:02 | More by StoutHunter