Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
rfgetz

3.9/5  rDev -11%

Pours a deep dark black. Full frothy khaki head, retention is good and lacing is nice. Smell is of roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate, earth, dark fruit. Taste follows smell with a focus on the coffe, chocolate earth and dark fruit. Oily, viscous, full bodied. Not too sticky and little aftertaste. Very good tasting RIS that leans a little away from tradition.

10-11-2009 21:23:43 | More by rfgetz
GarrisWH

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

A - Pours an opaque, pitch black color with a somewhat thin but very nice looking creamy, dark brown head. Spotty lacing.

S - Rich, roasted malt aromas with notes of coffee, cocoa and a hint of sweet dark fruitiness. There is a bit of hop bitterness hiding in the background.

T - Very flavorful roasted malts with tones coming through similar to the aroma - mostly coffee, cocoa and some dark fruit (raisins, prunes). A nice level of hop bitterness backs up the malts, and gives the finish a nice, slightly dry feel leading into a lingering roasty malt flavor. The ABV is hidden well too, not picking up on much, if any, alcohol flavor.

M - Very rich and full bodied with a smooth feel due to low carbonation.

D - A great example of the RIS style. Very nice combination of malt flavors and well-balanced with ample hop bitterness backing up the richness. The only thing that would hold me back on the drinkability is the 10% abv, which could be dangerous in such a delicious brew. I will definitely be adding this into the winter rotation.

10-09-2009 01:57:38 | More by GarrisWH
Mistofminn

4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to BA beandip for a 4 pack of this! Thanks Adam!

Poured into my Surly tulip. Pours a thick jet black, completely opaque. Initially it doesn't look like much head will show up, but after you stop pouring it grows. I got about a finger of molasses colored head. Retention isn't the greatest, and it doesn't leave much lacing. But other than that, I couldn't imagine a better looking RIS.

The nose is an expert blend of bitter chocolate, sweet malts, vanilla and caramel, ground coffee, roasted malts. It's not unlike other RIS's I've had. There isn't a realy big hop character here, this one is very malty.

The taste is much more roasty than I anticipated, almost drowning out the subtle hints of caramel and vanilla. I still get a significan portion of bitter chocolate and ground coffee. There is a nice bitter bite at the end. No alcohol present. There is also a bit of molasses as it warms.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, smooth and beautiful. Goes down great, it's hard to put this one down. The bitterness definitely comes out in the taste, which is odd because I didn't get it at all in the nose.

Drinkability is good. What a great beer from a can. I'm very impressed.

Finally! I've been meaning to pick this up in Hudson for ages, but every time I go, they are sold out. Thank you so much, Adam, for the chance to try this great beer!

10-09-2009 00:34:27 | More by Mistofminn
jhp40219

Kentucky

Amazing, top of the line Imperial Stout here! Pours a dark black with the look and consistancy of used motor oil. Rich chocolate-colored two-fingered head. Smells of roasted coffee and chocolate. Normally I am not a fan of imperial stouts. Generally they taste like burnt coffee with alcohol added. This isn't like that. This is strong, as an imperial stout should be, but extremely tasty and drinkable. Not something a frat boy is going to chug. Instead it is a very savory sipping beer. Huge delicious chocolate taste with hints of coffee and malts. A slight alcohol burn on the back of the throat after a drink, but not something you are going to taste. Left a dark brown lace on the glass after each drink that required the pint glass to have a second quick rinse afterwards. Generally the imperial stouts I have tried have a very up-front alcohol taste. Not this one at all. Works extremely well after a nice meal as a dessert. I would not give any beer a perfect rating unless it absolutely deserved it. This one does. I have had top-rated imperial stout DarkLord by 3 Floyds Brewery at three seperate beer festivals, and I have to say I prefer Ten Fidy to it. Ten Fidy should be every bit as celebrated as DarkLord! Ten Fidy should be the gold standard that all imperial stouts aspire to.

Serving type: growler

10-08-2009 01:59:30 | More by jhp40219
Goldfish19

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

~ Purchased this 12 oz can from New Beer Distributors in Manhattan, NY. Pours a syrupy motor oil black with a nice brown head. Aromas are of chocolate, coffee, and licorice. The taste is pretty much what you would expect from a well-crafted RIS. I still cannot get over how this heavenly goodness just poured right out of a can! Who would have thought? This stout is big, bold, and powerfully flavorful. At 10% ABV, it went down smooth, but at this level, you are confined to one, maybe two at best. A great nightcap. Highly recommended. ~

10-05-2009 20:49:03 | More by Goldfish19
TheViolator666

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz. can poured into stout glass.

A: Just awesome! The blackest of the black, with two finger dark brown head that has minimal retention but leaves medium lacing down the glass.

S: Smells of heavily roasted malts, chocolate malt as well as roasted barley. At 98 IBU's I would expect some hops in the nose, but I can't find any.

T: Again, heavily roasted malts and barley, definitely some bitterness from earthy hops. The alcohol is there, but not overly done and leaves a welcoming warming sensation in the aftertaste. Milky chocolate is most prevalent in the taste overall, coffee comes in a close second. Very good.

M/D: Very viscous, very thick mouthfeel. Silky smooth with the low carbonation. Alcohol is present and leaves a bit of a burn.

A great beer that I would buy over and over again if it were available here in Ohio. Probably the best beer to come out of a can.

10-04-2009 16:44:50 | More by TheViolator666
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from 12oz can into wide snifter.

A- I know this phrase is overused.. sue me. Motor oil black. Java coffee black. The darkest head I've ever seen in a beer, settles to about 1cm and is pretty uniform. Looks damn impressive.

S- I can smell this from the pour. Boozy, for sure. Rich, dark chocolate and spicy plums. A bit too boozy, in my opinion.. but then again its 10%, so I guess its all in order.

T- Wow. Really really good. The alcohol in the nose has almost vanished in the taste. Caramel, coffee, and burnt malts shine through, each fighting to be the dominate force. Whatever wins, its all good for me. A superb RIS. Sweet, but not cloying at all... this comes from a can????

M- Rich, creamy, but not as heavy as you would expect. Goes down incredibly smooth, with a bit of alcohol on the back end... but @ 10%... damn. Very well-crafted. I am impressed.

D- Moderate, as most RIS's are.. perhaps a bit moreso though. I really enjoyed this beer, and at the price, I couldn't name a better RIS. I waited a long time before I got this.. glad I finally did. Now I have to make up for lost time. While I wasn't blown away by Dales Pale.. this beer has left my jaw on the floor. I see a lot more of this in my future.

EDIT- despite my glowing praise, I rarely find myself coming back to this one. Price hikes suck. Jumped from $2 a can to $4 a can. No thanks.

09-29-2009 23:20:26 | More by ShogoKawada
krisandajt

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Saw this bad boy sitting on the shelf, had to pick it up.

Appearance: Pours a thick, viscous black with a solid inch of chocolaty head that fades nice and easy leaving behind some nice soapy lacing.

Smell: Chocolate stands out on this one, chocolate with a bit of roasted malt.

Taste: Like the smell, I'm getting bitter chocolate with hints of roasted malts. Absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel: IMHO, the best feature of this beer. Thick, creamy, smooth, and full bodied. Wow.

Drinkability: Dangerously drinkable for 10.00% ABV. Smooth, creamy, and just downright good. I'm glad I bought a 4-pack. I'll be keeping an eye out for this bad boy.

09-26-2009 02:21:25 | More by krisandajt
deereless

Colorado

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Thick cottony head with a deep froth that reminds me of espresso, lots of sticky patches along the edge of the glass, dark in a black hole sort of way - no light passes - 5.00, S: Strong chocolate and espresso aromas, burnt molasses and brown sugar, some pitted fruit smells - 4.50, T: Loaded with cocoa and chocolate, solid hops bite, there's a raisin like sweetness to this beer and some nice roastiness, alcohol is noticeable but quite nicely masked, this is one tasty brew - 4.75, M: Creamy and heavy body - 4.50, D: Another exceptional beer from Oskar Blues, very drinkable though the cost almost edges this outside of my price range, definite a beer for those special occasions - 4.50

09-25-2009 23:52:04 | More by deereless
TimDudley

4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours as black as oil, and nearly as thick. Little carbonation. A thin head quickly disappears, leaving only a milk chocolate ring around the glass.

Aroma is not very strong, but what's there is full of burnt caramel, chocolate, and soy sauce.

Taste is sweet and metallic - perhaps from the can? Bitter coffee, soy sauce, and molasses dominate up front. Also a slight dried fruit. Hops at the end, not much but more than your typical stout. The hops are a bit floral and not too dry, typical of popular American hop varieties, and do a lot to balance the initial dark sweetness.

The flavor here is incredibly complex. The more I sip, swish, and think, the more I can detect. A sweet note here, a bitter note there, a glimmer of citrus, some burnt smoke. Alcohol is surprisingly hidden.

A looong aftertaste, deserving of at least five or six o's. Finish is dry, with a slight iodine bitterness that fills the palate long after I've swallowed.

Mouth is bold and full. The beer coats the tongue. There's not much carbonation or alcohol tinge. It's smooth, not syrupy. It's highly drinkable - but 'sippable' rather than 'gulpable'. I could easily put back several over the course of a few hours, it's not heavy or filling like most stouts. I'm restricting myself to one, though, mostly because at 10% alcohol, I might not remember anything past the third.

Ten Fidy has been on my 'to-try' list for about two years, so there's a great deal of anticipation and expectation here. I'm happy to report that my high standards were met, but not exceeded. This is the most hoppy stout I've ever tasted, yet somehow that's desirable. A great beer all around.

Full article: http://timdudley.net/beer/?p=106

09-25-2009 19:56:45 | More by TimDudley
projectflam86

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

A- Pours a deep jet black color (almost as dark as the can) with a huge rocky dark brown head that leaves some nice rings of lace.

S- Roasted burnt malt aroma with hints of black coffee and smoke. Bittersweet chocolate is apparent as well.

T- A big heap of roasted flavor with a decent bitterness. Lots of coffee and burnt malt comprise the majority of the flavor profile. Among some other tastes are black licorice, anise, cocoa nibs, caramel, and oak. There is a very noticeable alcohol presence with a slight warming effect.

M- Thick and chewy with a light carbonation. This baby is really smooth and really viscous.

D- "This dog'll hunt"...pretty awesome.

09-25-2009 04:01:31 | More by projectflam86
KCHopHead

Missouri

A - Standard black imperial stout with a dark brown head.
S - Roasted malt, chocolate and hint of coffee.
T - Not sure if it was mental but I got some metallic (aluminum) taste right off the bat. I didn't get it as the beer warmed up. I noticed others said similar things. I did like how well the alcohol was hid.
M - I think it could have used a little bit more carbonation. I enjoyed how carbonated Dark Lord was.
D - A standard Imperial Stout. There was no shock value other than the awesome can. But overall, this was a very good brew.

09-14-2009 15:57:23 | More by KCHopHead
05Harley

New Hampshire

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Batch #4, Canned on 12/22/08

Purchased @ Julio's Liquors, Westborough Mass

Price - $15.99/4-pack

Pours like motor oil and shows it on the glass. Nice.. And it's from a can.

Appearance: Pours pitch black with very little head. Sticks to the glass showing it's thickness.

Smell: Has a boozy smell from the start. Next the chocolate shines through and definate sweetness.

Taste: Ahh, full of delicous flavor. Chewy with chocolate sweetness. Some heat as it warms to room temperature but this is to be expected at 9.5%.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, a real gem.

Drinkability: Treat it with respect. The alcohol can creep up and bite you in the ass if your not careful. Pretty much what you would expect from a quality RIS. Bear in mind this one is sweet, so if your looking for a dessert beer this one's for you.

09-10-2009 23:53:42 | More by 05Harley
nickd717

3.95/5  rDev -9.8%

Can at City Beer Store in SF. A good beer but definitely not a standout for the style.

A - Black color, dark brown head. One of the darkest heads I've seen in a beer.

S - Aroma is roast, coffee, chocolate, and some hops.

T - Roasted malt, coffee, hint of dark fruit, bitter cocoa, and slight metallic notes. Hops really stand out relative to most other imperial stouts. Alcohol noticeable but not too much for the ABV.

M - Smooth on the palate with a full body, but not at all syrupy. A little alcohol warmth.

D - Average-plus for the style.

09-10-2009 23:34:22 | More by nickd717
barnzy78

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

12oz can - batch number 546 - canned 12/31/2008, 9.5% ABV - can't believe this was sitting on the shelf in September (Oconomowoc, WI)!! Super excited to find it!

Poured absolutely black and as much as I don't like the analogy, this actually looked like used motor oil coming from an oil can - very cool effect. Head was fairly thin as expected and was milk chocolate in color. Aromas were of burnt and roasted malts, espresso, dark chocolate, and a hint of sweetened anise perhaps. It was instantaneously boozy, but not overly, with full notes of roasted malt, dark bakers chocolate, and bold espresso, with the hops providing a somewhat spicy finish and a prickle on the tongue - a very pleasant dark chocolate taste lingers on in the bittersweet finish as well. At 98 ibu, this is tremendously balanced and the bitterness seems to be more burnt and roasty. Alcohol is present, but well concealed and provides some fruity esters resembling ripened dark fruits. Mouth-feel was absolutely excellent - thick and full bodied - one of the best I've had. Overall, this was better than anticipated and fully enjoyable! EXCELLENT!

09-07-2009 02:42:08 | More by barnzy78
flagmantho

Washington

4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from 12 oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: complete blackness with thick, rich, extremely dark head. Even light cannot escape it.

Smell: alcohol and roasted malts. There is also a very bizarre aroma which almost has a shellfish character ... must be something to do with the yeast. Good overall, but a little odd.

Taste: lots of big fruity alcohol taste supported with thick, roasted malts. It is not overly bitter and is surprisingly smooth. There is that hint of the sea in the flavor too, but not enough to be truly off-putting. It's not bad, but it's not my favorite RIS.

Mouthfeel: huge body, not particularly carbonated. Thick, syrupy and mouth-coating, this is what I look for in a RIS.

Drinkability: between some of the flavor characteristics and the huge alcohol, this cannot rate super high on drinkability. It's still quite good though.

09-05-2009 03:17:20 | More by flagmantho
capra12

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

Reviewed with the Trifecta Speedwayjim and wheatman106 on 8/28/09 served out of a snifter glass.

Appearance: Jet Black with 1 finger of fine head.

Smell: Dark fruit, dark roasted chocolate and alcohol is pretty strong in the nose.

Taste: Opens with smooth dark chocolate which continues on to the finish. Sweet dark fruit and subtle sour notes are apparent from the middle to the end leaving a reaosted chocolate/coffee bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, heavy and dry but smooth.

Drinkability: Considering the full bodiedness I would definitely have another and probably another after.

09-04-2009 01:35:43 | More by capra12
jampics2

4.38/5  rDev 0%

Can sent as an extra by Jcb890. Thanks Jake!

Let it sit for about a twenty minutes out of the fridge, so probably poured around 50 degrees. I'm scientific like that.

Pours a thick dark black. At first I thought I mixed it up with a can of Mobil 1 or greasy granny's gopher gravy, but, nope, it's Ten Fidy, says right there on the can.

Smells sweet and some nice cocoa touches. Lots of roast, and a bit of molasses.

Taste is awesome! A bit of alcohol warmth, then chocolate and brown sugar sweetness and a dark, almost burnt flavor in the aftertaste. My girlfriend took a sip and dubbed it 'Dark Lord Jr.' I kinda see where she got that from, but let's not go crazy ;)

Mouthfeel is excellent. I've only had a few better mouthfeels on regular RIS's (my gold standard is New Holland Night Tripper). Thick and perfectly carbed for the style, a hair away from greatness.

I could drink a few of these. Very heavy, but not a pallate decimating beer. Actually quite refreshing, in a milk-shake kind of way. Leaves a coating and keeps you warm.

Overall, this was great. I have a bunch more coming in a trade, and I asked my parents to look for some in their local store, as they are in a state Oskar distributes to. Worthy beer and is now my favorite canned offering!

09-01-2009 22:23:14 | More by jampics2
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

Poured into my Boulevard Smokestack Glass

Seeing a beer that dark coming out of a can doesn't happen that often. Color is a basically black. Pours the slightest amount of tan head. No lace.

Aroma: at first, I thought this was barrel aged and got really excited, but then I just realized it was packing a huge flavor. Wow, this RIS is massive. Big chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, slight alcohol. It almost reminds me a little of Older Viscosity without the bourbon.

Taste: Big rich chocolate flavor. A ton of malts again. Coffee, roasted malts, dark dried fruits, with a hint of heat. I am really enjoying this one.

Mouthfeel: Typical RIS mouthfeel: rich, smooth, and some heat, well actually a lot of heat. Full bodied with medium level of carbonation. Ends with a big roasted malt flavored aftertaste. Too hot for me here.

Overall, I really like this beer. I think this beer would be awesome if they aged it in bourbon barrels, but I could be wrong. It is a great priced RIS that really packs a ton of flavor. My glass is going faster than I would like it to.

09-01-2009 21:17:56 | More by mothman
kbeals

4.13/5  rDev -5.7%

Big thanks to TexasWayne for this one!

A- 12 oz. can poured into a snifter reveals a jet black beer topped with a thin layer of dark brown head. There's not much head there, but it does have good retention. Not much lacing, however.

S- Burying my nose into the glass reveals aromas of cocoa powder and dark roasted coffee. As the beer warms, the smell of alcohol becomes present but not overwhelming in the least.

T- Similar to the smell. Bitter, dark chocolates and roasted coffee, dark fruits. A bit of a smoky flavor also. The alcohol doesn't seem to make much of a presence surprisingly. Beer finishes off slightly bitter.

M- Viscous and smooth. Little carbonation, just what I expect from an Imperial Stout.

D- Despite the high ABV and big flavor, this one is pretty drinkable. Not the best RIS I've had, but it's up there.

Thanks again, Wayne!

08-31-2009 00:53:00 | More by kbeals
SpeedwayJim

Reviewed with Capra12 and wheatman106. Poured from a can into a snifter

A: Poured black like used motor oil. This is one of the darkest RISs I've seen in a long time. The semi-vigorous pour created a fine 1-finger milk chocolate colored head that dissipated rather quickly and left little lacing clinging to the side.

S: Molasses, roasted chocolate malts, dark fruit, sweet soy sauce, and a hint of alcohol.

T: I can't believe this came out of a can. Flavor begins rich and chocolatey with a hint of the sweet molasses and dark fruits entering into the middle. The taste then transitions into a roasty bitterness before again finishing sweet with a lingering sweet soy sauce aftertaste. Most enjoyable.

M: A very silky and impressive mouthfeel. There is little carbonation and the appearance of this brew really translates into the mouthfeel. It coated the inside of my mouth, leaving it sticky, hot, and chocolatey long after the beer went down.

D: A very impressive beer, I'd have this again in a second and actually can't wait to have my next. Being presented out of a can just makes it all the more impressive.

08-29-2009 15:00:34 | More by SpeedwayJim
FickleBeast

4.03/5  rDev -8%

12 oz can poured into a Harpoon Winter Warmer snifter.

A - Pours pitch black with a half-finger of dark brown foam. Sheets of lace cling to the glass with every sip.

S - bitter roasted malt aroma

T - plum, roasted malt, burnt coffee. This would be truly excellent if it were not for a real astringency that I find a bit off-putting.

M - syrupy, very viscous. Really coats your mouth. Astringent bitterness lingers on the back of the tongue

D - Very drinkable for 10% ABV. A solid RIS that I would buy again.

08-29-2009 00:11:23 | More by FickleBeast
BeenJammin

Kansas

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

I'm still struggling to comprehend the fact that a RIS this good can be found in a can. The appearance is pitch black with a good sized brown head. It has a thick aroma of roasted malts and chocolate. It boasts an impressively complex flavor with lots and lots of dark chocolate, toffee, and brown sugars. Massive mouthfeel and quite a bit of booze make it a bit of a sipper.

08-27-2009 02:16:46 | More by BeenJammin
aewinte1

Arizona

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

I have had this beer about 10 times, first time reviewing it.
A- Pours pitch black like most stouts. Nice 2" head yields from semi-vigorous pour.
S- Chocolate is the first to hit my nose followed by some coffee aroma. Chocolate smells very sweet and delicious.
T- Taste is complex, sweet, and delicious. Chocolate really comes through nicely. Coffee is there and certainly detectable, but not that strong. Tastes like a founders breakfast stout but with the chocolate flavor outshining the coffee flavor. Alcohol seems top be apparent in some form of warming sweetness right as the beer hits the taste buds. The flavor then progresses to sweet chocolate then coffee and the warming is gone. Ends with a somewhat smokey roasted malt flavor. Dank
M- Nice and thick. Nothing really super outstanding or worth complaining about with the mouthfeel.
D- Drinkability is good considering the ABV. You would be doing this beer an injustice to do anything but sip due to the nice complexity of flavors. Not to say I couldn't drink a four pack if I had enough time.

08-26-2009 21:45:18 | More by aewinte1
qchic

Maryland

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

This is one black beer. No light penetrates and thead is about as dark as I've seen. The aroma is roasty, boozy, slightly sweet, and creamy. Notes of coffee, chocolate, and smoke. Like the body, the flavor is full. Roasted malts, tons of coffee, prune, cocoa, wood, and raspberry. Nice bitterness throughout to balance the rich malts. This beer coats the mouth to say the least, and so much flavor makes this one a nice sipper. This has to be the biggest beer in a can and Oskar Blues did one heck of a job!

08-25-2009 22:23:44 | More by qchic