Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
TMoney2591

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Pours a black we'll only see when we're staring at the back of our eyelids while lying in our graves. The walnut head is not too much to speak of, rising up to about a half-finger at its zenith, but this completes the image of death: no head can survive when the presence of The End is so omnipresent. The aroma reeks with elements of coffee, chocolate, roasted malts, vanilla, even an only slightly perceptible hint of smoke. The taste relies heavily on that dark roasted malt flavor, with bits of vanilla, cocoa, and, yes, even that smoke making cameo appearances. This guy sits heavily on the tongue, yes, but not so heavily as to give the experience a negative connotation. Regardless, he's very smooth for his weight and ABV, allowing him to rise above the preconceived notions of his character, ascending to a lofty, relatively drinkable plateau of beery goodness.

02-18-2010 21:34:24 | More by TMoney2591
MrDanno96

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Here's to getting the nifty little beer mug next to my name!

Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A: Literally looks like motor oil when poured out of the can. Once in the glass, the brew is pitch black with one of the darkest tan heads I have ever seen. Usually I'm unsure how to rate appearance, but this one really impresses.

S: Strong aromas of mocha, espresso, and chocolate immediately meed my nose. Hints of sweet vanilla, molasses, and alcohol are also present. I know this wasn't aged in barrels, but the smell is reminiscent of some of the big BA stouts I've had.

T: Really great. Chocolate is the primary flavor I guess, but so much is going on here. There is a mixture of sweetness and harsh alcohol bite that balances out very well in this brew. Vanilla, molasses, toffee, and licorice all come through as the sweeter flavors. Maybe even some dark fruit too. The alcohol bite is reminiscent of bourbon and if I didn't know better I would guess this was barrel aged. Some bitterness in the finish can be attributed to some dark roasted malt and hints of coffee and espresso.

M: Rich and full, borderline chewy. The alcohol is hidden decently well, but you can definitely tell its there from the warming effects in your throat and chest.

D: A sipper for sure, but a great one. I think this may have just overtaken Old Rasputin as my go to big stout. I started a forum discussion a few weeks ago asking if this brew was worth the $4+ per can. In short: yes, it is. Go buy some, NOW.

02-18-2010 06:48:44 | More by MrDanno96
djbreezy

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance - pours dark black, dark brown head that settles quick, very thick pour

Smell - chocolate is strong, smells like marshmallow and chocolate ice cream, some hints of malt

Taste - taste of chocolate and then the malt hits in the finish, give this beer a chance to warm as the flavors evolve

Mouthfeel - Very thick and chewy, lingers and dissipates slowly

Drinkability - enjoyable, unique for a stout, very tasty

02-18-2010 04:31:27 | More by djbreezy
mdfb79

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass. Not my first time having but first time reviewing.

a - Pours a very dark, thick black with about 2 inches of brown head and little carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sweet malts and chocolate, as well as some dark fruits. Small hints of alcohola and coffee are evident.

t - Bakers chocolate is defintiely the best comparison I can think of for this taste. It's a bittersweet chocolate taste that jumps out at you at first, followed by a little fruit and roasted malts, and finishes off with a tiny bit of coffee. Great stuff.

m - Thick, full bodied, moderate carbonation. Little hot from the alochol taste but still enjoyable

d - Overall I really enjoyed Ten FIDY. I thought the bittersweet chocolate smell/taste was great and the only small knock I'd have against it would be a small amount of heat from the alcohol smell/taste. I will definitely be buying more of this and will be putting a few cans in the cellar to see how it develops.

02-18-2010 02:04:20 | More by mdfb79
oceanman

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Looks kind of dark with a good-looking mocha head. Very lovely aromas of chocolates and fruits, chocolate-covered fruits, s'mores, alcohol, and just enough soy sauce. Very rich and thick, but just barely sweet. Bittersweet chocolate taste graduates to roasted coffee on a slightly warm finish. Rich enough that you have to take your time with this one, but it's far from tiring. Easily up there with Stone as a top-notch RIS.

02-16-2010 01:25:23 | More by oceanman
billshmeinke

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Good ol' Ten Fidy. Had this many times, first time I've gotten around to reviewing the beast.

Black, just black, nothing else to be seen in this beer but blackness. Nice finger and a half dark redish brown head. Practically a wall of lacing at the back of the glass and spotty lacing on the side I'm sipping from. Decent head retention, a little bit of foam on top and lots around the edge of the glass.

Smells intensely roasty. Tons of chocolate malts. Slight vanilla and toffee. Some alcohol in there too.

Up front there is a big, luscious malt presence. Gives way to chocolate, toffee, graham cracker and vanilla bean flavors. Ends on a bittersweet dark roasty note, finish is espresso like with a kiss of alcohol spice.

This beer is quite thick, but not overly so. Full bodied. Medium carbonation with nice tiny bubbles. Very smooth and creamy. Gives you that warm feeling in your belly.

The alcohol is quite well hidden, and it's an all around very enjoyable stout. I'd actually pit this against some of the more hyped up (non-BA) imperial stouts of all time.

02-15-2010 23:14:52 | More by billshmeinke
mutterfudder

New Hampshire

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Craft beer in a can... gotta love it! This has to be the darkest, most extreme canned beer I've ever poured. Into an imperial pint glass, with plenty of room to spare.

A - Dark and thick pour, similar to spent motor oil. Foams a lovely, rocky dark-cherry colored head. Very appealing to look at.

S - Dark and malty as expected. A mild molasses sweetness also in there. Again, very inviting and appealing.

T - Initial flavors of burnt malt and a caramelized sweetness. Molasses and brown sugar notes hidden behind the wallop of burnt malt. I really dug this flavor.

M / D - Ten FIDY sits in your mouth for a long time, coating it with its flavor. As far as drinkability, I was able to knock two down pretty quickly. For the style, it's pretty drinkable. After those two, I was feeling alright with the universe.

Ten FIDY is an excellent Imperial Stout. Perfect for a bitter cold night like the one it was consumed on.

02-13-2010 19:54:55 | More by mutterfudder
moz9

4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

This is a Russian Imperial Stout--as advertised.

Poured a 12 oz can into a stout glass. Pours a thick coffee looking consistency, pretty thick body with a nice brown head finish.

Smell is nutty with hints of chocolate and molasses. It's obviously better as it warms, and the chocolate and malty flavors show through. I think this is an excellent stout--it's a bit pricey, but there is no questioning the quality. It should be enjoyed as a nightcap, and goes well with a lot of different food choices.

02-13-2010 04:16:47 | More by moz9
willPS21

West Virginia

3.7/5  rDev -15.5%

This one was a bit of a disappointment only because my hopes were so high, kind of like "Dark Knight". Poured into snifter. There was a bit more of a fruity, floral, and anise smell and taste than I want in an RIS.. not my preferred flavor profile. In this sense, I would have probably enjoyed it more if it was only 3-4oz and not 12. Also, since I tried this the same week as the Old Chub, I expected it to be superior, which it wasn't IMO. It was definitely jet black and thick as hell and seemed to coat your teeth like a malbec or other thick red wine. In some ways I almost thought it tasted more like a double IPA. The fruitiness/spiciness combined with the thickness made it seem harsher and as if it had more abv than it did. I would have guessed it was more than the Stone, but its 10% less. Overall, the balance was not what I expected from an acclaimed RIS, and I wish it leaned a bit towards the malty/metallic side of things (Rasputin), or nutty/chocolate/coffee like Stone. After I washed this one down with an Allagash White, I cracked the Stone IRS later in the evening and realized what I had been missing. It was enjoyable overall, but if they have this in the store there's a huge probability they have something I'll buy instead.

edit: I just realized that this is an imperial stout, not an RIS. Therefore, my minor complaints about floral/fruityness and more harsh/alcohol taste are, well, duh. I guess my main disappointment was due to the fact I thought this was an RIS.

02-12-2010 03:08:18 | More by willPS21
knight84

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Viscous motor oil black with a lumpy froth of espresso-brown head that leaves generous lacing.
N: Dark chocolate, roasted coffee, warming alcohol, and a touch of tanned leather and vanilla.
T: Lots of chocolate and coffee, vanilla notes come through nicely too with a hint of bourbon making an appearance in the alcohol heat. Develops nicely on the palate if you stick with it past the alcohol, there is a nice bitter hop finish though it is pretty subtle.
M: Carbonation is a little thin, alcohol heat is very present, not terribly syrupy which I like.
Overall very drinkable, an excellent beer.

02-08-2010 20:53:39 | More by knight84
dvb

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

A - As others have said, this one is pitch black. I held it up to my 150W halogen desk lamp and only then could I see some reddish brown around the outside. No head at all; just the tiniest bit of tan bubbles around the perimeter. Very little lacing.

S - Very complex. Strangely, though, I can't pin this one down to individual flavors. It's roasty, it's sweet, but that's about as descriptive as I can be. Strange.

T - Very rich. Less bite than many imperial stouts I've had. Very tasty, but not so bitter that only a hop-head could appreciate it. Be that as it may, I suspect you'd have to be a fan of imperial stouts and/or extreme beers in general to appreciate this one. This is not for the Corona crowd.

M - What an imperial stout should be: thick. Like some others have said: motor oil.

D - This is not a session beer. Take it slow or it will knock you on your ass. Hell, it may knock you on your ass anyway.

02-08-2010 05:06:11 | More by dvb
caddybuyer

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a snifter at cellar temperature.

A-Deep dark dirty oil with a thick dark creamy head. Not sure if I've ever seen a head so dark, but it does fade away to a light ring in short order. Utter blackness...no way any light is shining through this mother.

S-Sweet malts, roasted coffee, vanilla, molasses. Fudge also comes to mind. I'm also picking up some hops back there in the distance as well.

T-Big chewy bittersweet mocha hits you up front with dark fruits populating the mid palate along with smokey vanilla, a hint of bourbon and a very nice peppery hop bite on the back end wrapping all up in an astringent finish. Devine.

M-Full bodied, creamy and oily...like it should be. Slightly overcarbonated, but easily solved by boxing it back into the snifter to form a head that reminds me of dark chocolate milk.

D-Shedding a tear of sadness that the glass is half empty. Shedding tears of joy that three more are left from the four pack. Not sure they will be there much longer.

There is something so utterly decadent about an Imperial Stout in a can, but I love it. In fact, I love Oskar Blues...they seem to nail every style on the head in a robust and flavorful way. This may be my new favorite RIS.

02-07-2010 22:06:33 | More by caddybuyer
kpoole25

Arizona

2.55/5  rDev -41.8%

This is by far the biggest, most viscous, syrupy, blackest, and roastiest beers I've had. The line about "would you like a fork with that?" might actually apply to this one. Not dry at all, it just lays there on your tongue. Alcohol taste is there but not objectionable. Can't imagine what the original gravity is for this one. I just bought one can to try it, don't really see myself getting this again. Trying not to be too hard on the score since I don't want to be judging the style vs the beer, but this almost didn't seem like finished beer, more like dark malt extract.

02-07-2010 05:56:03 | More by kpoole25
mfreire212

4.38/5  rDev 0%

I was pretty stoked to finally get a can of this stout. I must admit, the can itself is pretty underwhelming, but the beer is what's important.

Poured into a pint glass...DARK! Opaque, with an oily residue on the surface.

A nice malty, coffee aroma which is very inviting.

An excellent stout, smooth coffee and cocoa flavors without the bitey aftertaste that some stouts have. It also was pretty thick/viscous.

The alcohol is well hidden, until you get about two thirds of the way done (which is the whole point, IMO).

Overall, an excellent choice, despite the high cost and outward appearance.

02-07-2010 02:04:20 | More by mfreire212
TheBeerCarl

Idaho

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

This beer has a rich flavor with heavy chocolate notes and hints of coffee. The blend of malts balances the flavor and while the beer is high in alcohol content there is little to no heat on the pallet. It has a full body mouthfeel and a sweet aftertaste that lingers. An exceptional Russian Imperial.

02-05-2010 23:14:34 | More by TheBeerCarl
bobv

Vermont

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%

Wow, a can?

A: pours a nice dark with a dark tan one inch head that dissipates quickly.

S: A little chocolate, coffee, dark fruit, especially cherry; slight banana bread.

T: Very nice, chocolate, coffee, dark fruit, caramel, and the fruit is there.

M: Very nice, like a creamy liquid chocolate bar that doesn't want to stop.

D: Very drinkable, the abv is hidden and I will have another.
I just wish this was available in Vermont.

02-04-2010 05:59:46 | More by bobv
Celtic71

2.58/5  rDev -41.1%

It was ok and weird at the same time. In many ways you really couldn't put your taste buds on it.Drunk from a chilled point to room temp with a heavy alcohol after taste.Almost like a thin winey stout I got used to it in the end and at 9.3 per can its a fast buzz.

02-04-2010 01:51:54 | More by Celtic71
haddon

Kentucky

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

pours slurry black out of the can with a mocha head that doesn't linger. brown lacing down the pint glass

smells of rich coffee, chocolate, roasted malts, vanilla. very sweet. very nice.

dark coffee, bittersweet chocolate... a little acidic. as it warms, the alcohol is more evident. the more I drink, the more the hops become evident on the aftertaste.

full-bodied beer that is thick on the tongue. light carbonation but works for this stout

never tasted anything quite like this. excellent beer. definitely the best stout I've had to date. on my top 10 list of all time!

02-03-2010 02:44:32 | More by haddon
jdg204

4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

The good folks at Abe's Cold Beer in Bethlehem gave me the chance at some great brews recently and this was near the top of that list. I'd seen Ten Fidy around for a while, but had trouble wrapping my head around the price for a canned brew, but I finally broke down and got one.

A: Pitch black color that light wouldn't dare to penetrate with a perfect mocha colored head that left plenty of lacing.

S: Roasted malt, dark chocolate, and mocha blend into a wonderful aroma.

T: Starts with a beautfil roasted, mocha, dark chocolate flavor, well balanced and not giving too much to any. It was supported by a great hoppy bitterness which really complimented things well. The balance and easy drinking for a beer of this strength was extremely impressive.

M: Thick body with good carbonation, yet surprisingly easy to drink. A wonderful brew.

D: WOW, this blew the roof of my expecations, the hype is true! I was expecting a great brew, but the price for a canned beer threw me off a bit. I can now safely say there is no need to be afraid, great brews can come in cans!!!! This was one of my top brews of all time, an amazingly complex and serious yet smooth and easy drinking brew, a tour de force! Amongst RIS's, I rank this equal to Founders Impy as the best I've had and could not recommend it higher. Go out of your way to find a can of this bad boy and pop the top, you won't be disappointed.

02-01-2010 23:59:40 | More by jdg204
PorterLambic

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours black with a chocolate brown, three musketeers filling colored, creamy looking head. Good lacing left behond.
Smell is malt, hops and chocolate.
Taste is malt, oak, bourbon, vanilla, smoke, alcohol, dark chocolate. Great balance.
Smooth with a capital smoo, rich and creamy texture. Full bodied. Wish for a bit more nose. Sip and enjoy cause this beer rocks!

02-01-2010 21:02:38 | More by PorterLambic
hobojon

Can tasted 11-4-09. Dated 12-22-08.

Aroma- chocolate. light coffee. fruit, candy sweet malt, munich and caramel malt. subtle roast. very sweet aroma. floral. earthy. molasses. vanilla.

App- brown head. black to deep brown at edges. foam dissipates. minimal lacing.

Taste- very sweet chocolate and raisin, dates, and candy. caramel. very light roast, mostly chocolate. not hoppy, solidly sweet. hops that are present cuts sweetness some balancing the beer out. earthy. citrus hops. some subtle funk... tastes slightly oxidized but it is in a can?

Mouth- med creamy carb. filling. very sweet. some alc astrin on tongue.

Overall- very sweet and strong flavor. lots of chocolate and fruit, not much roast or bitterness. a great character but sweet and filling.

02-01-2010 19:30:27 | More by hobojon
mgbickel

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Instantly formed a thick, foamy, milk chocolate colored head, two fingers tall. This receded quickly leaving behind little to no lace. The body is thick and dark. Swirled it around to make sure someone didn't switch my glass with a pint of melted tar.

The nose has coffee, dark fruits and molasses up front. Undertones of iron (bloody-meat like smell)...not a bad thing!

The molasses and dark fruits are up front in flavor. The meaty flavors are in the background. The backbone is black coffee. Finishes slightly boozy, but not overpowering.

Medium to thick mouth feel, oily and creamy at the same time with little carbonation.

Drinkable stout based upon flavor, but can only handle a few per night due to the MF. Will keep stocked!

02-01-2010 19:03:56 | More by mgbickel
Impfan

Washington

This impy definitely puts me in mind of Bells Expedition in its massive body and flavor. Tons of bitter chocolate, coffee, toffee, figs, dates, plums, roast, and a dash of smoke are beautifully set of in the finish by some mightily citric hops. The creaminess is off the scale, and the finish is nearly endless.This sure as hell ain't no session ale, in fact its about as definite a sipper as I've ever tasted. Ten W Fidy is absolutely the best nickname for this flavorful beast!

02-01-2010 14:04:29 | More by Impfan
travduke

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

This is my first craft beer from a can. Exciting! Poured into my otter creek pint glass.

Appearance: Pitch black. Pours like used motor oil out of the can. Thick tan head, generous lacing.

Smell: Sweet. Dark fruits. Raisins & plums. Chocolate. Where's the alcohol?

Taste: Seriously, where's the alcohol? It must be hidden behind that sweet taste of roasted malts. Nice chocolate taste but the raisin dominates. I love it.

Drinkability: This is probably the first and last RIS that I will give a 5 to drinkability. The thick, creamy, chewy body's alcohol is so well hidden you'd thick you were drinking chocolate milk. This beer is absolutely amazing.

02-01-2010 02:57:19 | More by travduke
afausser

Montana

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance: Pours a near pitch black chocolate, the color of very dark coffee. Starts with about a finger and a half of bubbly head, about the color of coca cola, or perhaps molasses--and close to the same consistency as well--the head disappears within three minutes or so and all that is left is the tiniest ring of bubbles and the very small carbonation bubbles that are just barely visible moving up to the top of the glass. Sadly, unimpressive lacing. I realize this is a high ABV beer and the style isn't one with a ton of lacing....but I'd say the average RIS has slightly better than this one.

Smell: Smells very sweet. Dark chocolate and caramel are readily apparent, but there's also a hint that comes across almost as sugar syrup. Sweet and fruity with sweet raisins and apples but also a hint of berries--maybe even blueberry. A slight toasted malty note and some coffee grounds come out as well (as does a hint of anise), but predominantly is made up of the sweet malts and fruity notes. I should note that it's not slick or just syrupy--the other notes very nicely balance the sweet ones and provide some depth to the brew, but this isn't your typical coffee and smoke dominated RIS.

Taste: My first thought as it hits my tongue is how light it is. The second is "but wow, there's still so much flavor!" It starts with brown sugar and light sweetness, as well as some of the berry notes (though they are more hinted at than actually making themselves known in this) and finishes crisp with a coffee, smoke, and hops aftertaste (though this still comes across as somewhat light). Definite anise, especially as it warms, at which point the coffee and chocolate become more prominent in the blend. A slight hint of peppermint as it warms, quite nice.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel on this is very crisp and pops quite a bit (especially for being composed of such tiny bubbles) but is not overdone. The fine, fine, excellently done bubbles come across as much bigger than their size, get the job done, and disappear with each sip. I'm actually slightly baffled as to how this was done--it's pretty unique and works extremely well. Additionally, you really have to look for the heat, and even then it's barely there.

Drinkability: This one should be one to sip because of the ABV, but the carbonation makes you want to drink it more like a soft drink (though obviously the flavor is too heavy to drink it quite THAT quickly)...but I'm not sure I would be able to get through the whole thing that way. So I'm presented with the quandary of trying to give this one a drinkability rating....keeping in mind that it's also a 9.5% ABV...it's quite difficult. I think, though, that with the combination of all the factors at hand, the drinkability is pretty high.

02-01-2010 02:08:51 | More by afausser