Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a can

A- Poured into a tulip, the heads forms into a moist, chocolaty foam and actually looks both delicious and menacing! The body is jet black. Very interesting.

S- The smell is light chocolate, earthy, molasses and some kind of dark berry. Black berry? Way more subtle than you'd expect from the appearance of this beer. The faint aroma doesn't match the bold visual at all. This beer is shifty.

T- Boom! The rope a dope method is in full effect! Faint, delicate aroma give way to strong molasses, coffee, semi-sweet chocolate and brown sugar. The alcohol comes out throughout and is alarmingly strong but adds to the flavor experience without taking over.

M- Syrupy and heavy with a formidable chew.

D- This beer is dangerous. Between the delicate aromas, powerful flavor and high alcohol content you'd think this would be a slow sipper to appreciate and move on but then POW! You've had 3 or 4 and you're face is numb. I'm fairly certain that feisty stout is about as much fun in a can as you can have.

TheBoog013, Mar 03, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

on tap at irish pol in philly. served in tulip glass.

Pours a deep inky black with a wonderfully frothy layer of deep, brownie colored head. This retains a thick layer on top of the beer until nearly the last sip, as the beer leaves patches of tanned lacing on the glass.

Roasted dark malt with cocoa and dark chocolate. Dark fruits mix in with some more sweetness and a bit of smoke. Light alcohol flair.

Plenty of rich malts laced with bittersweet dark chocolate and cocoa. A decent layer of dark fruit with dates and plum add in a unique sort of sweetness. Hints of charred smoke towards the middle. Some alcohol flair with a hop bite during the finish.

Full bodied, softer carbonation, rich sticky texture with slight chewiness. Drinks nicely, the flavor and feel is excellent. I've had this aged and fresh; I think its safe to say I prefer it on the fresher side.

xnicknj, Mar 02, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -19.4%

The beer pours motor oil black with a tiny mocha head. Very slow and viscous pour, noticable from the moment the beer leaves the can. Additionally this is as black as beer gets, some deep brown highlights on the edges but no light penetrates it, impressive.

Smell is not as strong as I expected out of a RIS but it's every bit as complex. Dark fruit, dried cherries and currants with all of that roasted maltiness and raw cocoa, like fudge.

The taste mirrors the smell with depth of chocolate flavors backed with some piney hops, enough to maintain balance. I was hoping for some coffee bean but the roasted smells didn't back the flavor. A bit of astringency and soy sauce.

The mouthfeel is thick, oily smooth without being overbearing with little carbonation to speak of. There's bitterness that was expected but it creeps in metallic and harsh, not fresh or bright. While the beer leaves a sweet mouth coating it doesn't dry and the bitterness unbalances the whole act driving you to quickly sip to drive away the unpleasantness.

I was really looking forward to this beer and I found it to be an amazing canned product but not on par with the hype. Bitterness is creeping and doesn't mesh well with on the finish with other competing harsh flavors.

rawfish, Mar 01, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

I've heard about Ten Fidy but just got around to trying it. I don't think I would've been ready for it had I tried it a year ago.

A: Tried it out of a tulip glass, pours pretty much black with red outline. Really thick like syrup, barely any head.

S: I picked up a sweet & malty scent with a hint of cocoa.

T: Slight everything good, such as chocolate, coffee, caramel & licorice.

M: A bitter sweet symphony in my mouth. As close to perfection as it gets.

D: So far it's the best beer I've ever had, drink one but prepare yourself for it. If you don't like it, it may just be too much for you.

SQUIDPORT, Mar 01, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Appearance. Pours black with a hint of dark brown like old, dirty hot motor oil. Very little deep chocolate brown head leaving very little lacing.

Smell. Dark dried cherries, molasses, old wood and a little vanilla.

Taste. Wow! Vanilla, molasses, some chocolate, plum and booze. All good stuff.

Mouthfeel. Full body, medium-low carbonation and some nice boozy warming.

Drinkability. Grabs your attention and holds on to it for a while. Not a fast drinker but it doesn't get boring either. Good for the style.

Rutager, Mar 01, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from can into snifter.

A: Dark black color nice dark brown one and a half finger head that fades quickly and leaves little lacing. (+.5 for the can)

S: Smell is very nice. I get very sweet chocolate malts, some light coffee bitterness.

T: Some RIS i need to warm up to, but I really like this from the get go. I get dark sweet chocolate, some distance coffee flavors with light bitterness. Smooth overall. The only problem is this beer lacks some depth and is not very interesting as I keep drinking.

M: Good. Maybe a little thin.

D: Overall a very drinkable RIS, but maybe that is a bad thing (reflected in my taste score).

Schreibeers, Feb 28, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -25.1%

Snifter.

Black as night. Dark brown head. 1 finger. drops quickly. dark lacing.

sweet malt. dark fruit. prune. fig. cocoa. dark coffee. no hops.

flavors of anise. dark coffee. roasted grains. dark cocoa. finish is rather short for a ris. bitter, roasted grain stands out.

mouthfeel is thin for a ris. mouthcoating roasted bitterness.

drinkability is good. not outstanding. not sure what the hype is about. not a benchmark as far as RIS goes. good, not great.

JamnesCameron, Feb 28, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from can into chalice:

Pours very dark, with small brown head.
Smelled of malts, and roasted/coffee, slight alcohol smell.
Roasted malt taste.
Very smooth, but thick feel.
Can taste the alcohol, but could have fooled me at 10.5% ABV. Slightly bitter aftertaste.

Would try again. Solid Russian imperial stout. Good buy to pick up.

darkbegbie, Feb 27, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured an oily opaque black with a one finger tan head that had coarse bubbling. Dissipated to a thin coffee-like mahogany layer that remained for a while.

Nose is of very ripe fruit sugars and molasses, with a bit of sweet chocolate. Tons of toasted scents as well.

Taste is very toasted, almost charred at times, with molasses the prevalent sweetness. Roasted malt bomb milkshake is the best way I can describe this beer, as it throws a lot of intense malt and texture at you without losing its mouthfeel or drinkability.

Speaking of those, Mouthfeel is ridiculously thick and creamy, and the foaming of the beer when swished around in the mouth adds to it immensely. Syrupy and viscous too, which is awesome for the style. Drinkability is crazy good, as the abv is flat out not there, and the coating this one leaves after each sip is delectable. I will say that the pure roasted character of this beer can get to be a bit much, but not for a while. Love this beer.

madvermin, Feb 27, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Got this in the Blind BIF from nlmartin. Thanks buddy!
The beer was opened without any prior knowledge of brewer, style, or anything.

So I made myself some nice pizza for dinner and decided to pop the blind can to go with it.... I had asked nlmartin what glassware to use for the beers and was told the snifter would get me through most if them, but "use a glass for the can." with no modifier in front of the word "glass," I assumed "pint glass."

Anyway-- I pop the can. I immediately regretted it.
It opened with a *click* with no hiss of carbonation... As soon as I began to pour it, I understood why-- this is a stout. A monstrous, sludgey, thick, viscous, dark black stout.

Sunnuvabitch. This will not go well with my pizza. I love me some Ten-Fidy... But I was expecting a pale ale... Yes, I guessed right away that this was Ten-Fidy-- what other Imperial Stout is in a can? Awesome.

Dark tan head, minimal lacing, no head at all left after I'm halfway done. Still though, looks nice...
Smells of chocolate malt, toffee, some dark fruits, and a hint of black licorice.
The taste has a great sweetness up front and dries out with a light booziness that really works well. This is very tasty. The black licorice is minimal, and the dark fruits ride in with a small charred smokiness. Very very tasty.

The body is full and thick. Good creamy feel with the low carbonation.
Insanely tasty and easy drinking. Man, I need to ask my buddies to send me more of this...
Thanks!
A-4, S-4.5, T-4, M-4.5, D-4

AleWatcher, Feb 27, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -12.1%

The appearance of this beer is quite dark, if I hold it up to the light I can see very very feint mahogany/purple hues on the very edges of the glass. That being said, it is almost pitch black. The head is a dark tan, almost brown head comprised of lots of tiny bubbles. The aroma is hoppy more than anything else. I pick up earth tones with a roasty malt background. Taste is fantastic! Big on roastyness with subtle coffee/espresso and chocolate flavors. Texture is thick, and I mean THICK.. like syrup! good carbonation but it's almost unnoticeable because your palate is adjusting to the syrupy quality of this beer. For drinkability I would have to give it a lower rating due to the high 10.5% ABV and texture. This is a sipping beer.

tlazaroff, Feb 27, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

I love Ten FIDY stout from Oskar Blues! You really need to drink this with some heavy food like pizza or pasta. This is not for the faint of heart. Really thick, heavy flavors, almost thick like syrups. One of my favorites, but super hard to find. You get a nice molasses flavor going on with some hints of burnt caramel.

omnomct, Feb 26, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -8%

Ahh an imperial stout in a can. I have wanted to try this beer for awhile after hearing a lot of good reviews and thankfully this beer did not disappoint. A beautiful thick chewy stout with a nice pleasant aroma of dark roasted malts. This beer is remarkably smooth for 10.55 abv. Good beer does come in a can and this beer is proof.
Cheers

Cmack15, Feb 26, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Reviewed from notes written on 2/15/11. Thanks for the venue, Walter the Dog.

Ten FIDY ( I love that name) pours a scorched engine oil black into a medium-sized wine glass. There was no fizz at all when I popped the tab on the can, which led me to wonder if it was under carbonated. No head appears at all; only a faint haze of dark brown sits atop the black body. Just a hint of a brown hue is visible around the edges and there is no lacing to be found on my glass.

The smell is very toffee heavy upfront, with quite a bit of caramel and dark chocolate notes showing through. Some roasted malt and acidic coffee scents are present, but they reside well in the background. Dark cherry and plum aromas also hide in the background. As it warms, the roasted malt and coffee smells become much more prevalent. Strangely, the smell reminds me a bit of creamy Baileys. "I'm Old Greg!"

I find there to be a perfect balance of acidic roastiness and sweet creaminess in the taste. As it warms, the acidic roastiness pops and nudges the the creaminess of the dark chocolate, toffee, and caramel flavors out of the way a bit. This is a very full, complex, present taste with a nicely dry and roasty finish.

Ten FIDY has a full and viscous feel in my mouth. It is very creamy and Baileys-like, but with enough of a roasty and hoppy bite on the sides of my palate to balance the feel out. This beer is a member of the three B's club: Big. Bold. Badass.

This is a slow sipping beer and an ear and face warmer, to be sure. It is not one that I would ever think of having several of in a sitting, simply because it is so heavy. It is, however, a beer that I would be thrilled to have from time to time.

TCHopCraver, Feb 25, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE: This beer poured into a pint glass with virtually no head at all -- 1/8" at the most -- that dissipated to a small swirl of dark tan bubbles almost immediately. Looking carefully (with the help of a small LED flashlight) into the murky black body revealed a moderate amount of carbonation.

AROMA: Holding the glass to my nose I was immediately struck by a pleasingly balanced moderate alcohol scent supporting heavy malt aromas of roasted coffee, caramel, and molasses, with a light scent of pine needles and a slight earthy scent. I couldn't wait to see if it passed the taste test!

TASTE: Well, it passed the taste test with flying colors. Alcohol turned out to be mell masked by the heavy malt flavor to the extent that it seemed light even though I knew the beer had a high alcohol content. Tastes of caramel, roasted coffee, and chocolate were complimented by a slightly earthy light taste of pine and a hint of black licorice. All together, a masterful example of the brewer's art.

MOUTHFEEL: I loved the mouthfeel of this full bodied, slightly oily brew. Body lacing was virtually nonexistent. Moderate carbonation tickled the tongue. The initial flavor was slightly sweet, morphing into a slightly bitter flavor at the finish. This sensation stayed on the tongue for a moderate amount of time.

DRINKABILITY: This was unquestionably the best, most memorable Russian Imperial Stout I've tasted. This is definitely a sipping beer, but by the end I found myself wishing I could stay for another. Such repeatability in a big beer like this is rare, at least for me. The brewmaster deserves high praise indeed for melding the flavors so as to make this a relatively smooth, easy drinking beer. Would I buy it again? In a New York minute!

paulginva, Feb 25, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -16%

12oz can to pint glass

Appearance - Pours black as motor oil, minimal carbonation, and coffee colored head that settles quickly.

Smell - Roasty, chocolaty, caramelly malts...can also smell the alcohol on this one faintly.

Taste - Smoky on the onset but finishes somewhat bitter and hoppy. The alcohol is there but does not overpower the other flavors. I also pickup some of the roasted coffee/espresso flavors that others have described.

Mouthfeel - Pleasant mouthfeel with some lingering flavors that coat your mouth. Very complex flavor profile with subtle nuances in every sip.

Drinkability - This would be a nice dessert beer right along side a piece of german chocolate cake. However, I can't see drinking more than one in a night.

tbraun1, Feb 25, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

First time I tried this, I could believe such a thick, chewy brew could come from a can. This beer has some weight to it - and some serious calories I'm sure.

Pitch black with deep brown head. Settles pretty quick with just a ring arount the pint glass this was poured into. There was plenty sticking to the side of the glass, in fact, as I finished it the clear glass was a shade of brown.

Smells rich caramel, roasted malt and other grains. Didn't get the chocolate/coffee thing many are saying. Just a very real RIS. It's not a chocolate stout or a milk stout, this beer is just plain stout.

Tastes delicious. Caramelized sugar and burnt malt with some booze lingering around. Not too hot though but a year should do this beer fine.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and thick. Leaves a coating on your tongue like it does the glass.

Drinkability is good. Although 1 would be plenty satisfying, you could do 2-3 with ease. Goes down sugary sweet with a burnt finish and touch of alcohol.

It's just a great example of the style. If you haven't already, put it on you "beers to try" list.

Hellabeerguzzler, Feb 24, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a classic Oskar can into a Dogfish Head pint glass.

A: pitch black in color with a finger of coffee colored head after a mildly aggressive pour. Head disappeared quickly and lacing was slight but present.

S: caramel, roasted barley, brown sugar.

T: Nice mix of chocolate and barley and the bitterness of the chocolate is well balanced. Not sure by what; perhaps some vanilla? If so it's not at all overpowering.

M: creamy, full bodied lingering taste that holds on for quite some time. Little aftertaste included but that which does hold on is welcomed.

D: unbelievably drinkable beer for a beer with an abv north of 10%. This is a world class imperial stout and it's crazy that I poured it out of a can.

suspect, Feb 24, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from 12oz can into a snifter. Canned on 12/2/10.
A) Pours pitch black with virtually no head. Thin layer of brown head recedes to a ring around the edge. Cannot see any carbonation. Nice alcohol legs left on the glass, but not much lacing.
S) Very rich aroma. Deep chocolate, espresso and roasted malt notes. I don't pick up any alcohol, despite the 10.5% abv.
T) Roasted malt with a huge finish. Big chocolate and espresso notes, a bit of alcohol in the finish. Really nice beer. Big flavor. Nice lingering espresso bitterness.
M/D) Full body, very thick and syrupy. Very smooth with very little carbonation. Drinks almost like a imperial stout shake. Very drinkable for such a high abv beer. Not very sessionable, but I have no trouble at all drinking this beer.

Wow, what a beer! This is up there with Stone IRS and BCS as one of the best Imperial Stouts I've ever had. Rich flavor, full body, great mouthfeel. This is a high quality brew.

goalie33, Feb 23, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -16%

Pours dark black with a thin brown head.

Aroma is more like a Belgian strong dark ale with the scent of prunes, and dark chocolate cake.

Flavor is also more like the Belgian strong dark ale, with rich dark chocolate cake, cherries and prunes. There is a very slight roasted malt character. No noticeable bitterness.

Finishes quite dry in the mouth despite the fruit in the flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat creamy. Alcohol level is not really noticeable.

Overall a nice, surprising beer, flavorful if not exceptional.

lionchow, Feb 23, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

273rd review on BA
Can to New Belgium Globe

App- Motor oil from a can like the old days in a full service station. A one finger head formed as well. Was excited to see that. Thats a stout pouring for you.

Smell- I get booze, molasses, dark fruits and roasted malt.

Taste- It's a little cold so I think the flavors are muted on this. Very roasted malt with a creamy smoothness. Suprising chocolate flavors burst during the drink with some dark fruits more leaning towards raisins and slightly bitter.

Mouth- Full bodied thats for sure. A nice medium carb level with a slighly creamy texture and a slight roasty/bitter taste. Get a little pepper in there as well.

Drink- It's big from a small can. I could see myself drinking all 4, blacking out and asking WTF just happened? Very tasty beer though.

FosterJM, Feb 22, 2011

A: pitch black, dark coffee head is stuck on the glass. black beer from a black can sure is something new for me.

S: black and chocolate malts provide both chocolate/butter sweetness and a huge bitter roastiness, which is the primary player in this nose.

T&M: mocha chocolate in a french roast. the roast is delicious. definitely bitter, but not to the point of acidic. not getting any alcohol, which is greatly appreciated. a smoothness of melted butter. just a touch of fiz on this towering body makes it a great sipper and the ultimate dessert brew.

D: thick, rich, and delicious. a little lighter on the carbonation then im used to for the style, but works well on such a meaty body. i know i said this would be a great dessert beer, but right now im using it as an appetizer and loving it. get some.

Jimmys, Feb 21, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

"This dog'll hunt." Yowee. Never was anything so true. Let's go find some meat!

Enjoyed this brew aged about 6 months. It pours pitch black and thick. Dessert in a 12oz can.

Looks as dark as night, and still has a decent tan head for a Russian Imperial Stout of this thickness and gravity. The beer smells of alcohol, bread, rich malts, and surprisingly - hops. On its initial taste it's sorta underwhelming. Coffee and chocolate malt notes that you'd expect in a RIS, and it follows with a tiny hops bite. But as it warms, that taste gets richer and richer, includes some dark fruits, then gets thicker and thicker, and my belly gets warmer and warmer (fatter and fatter?).

It's a full-bodied brew with good carbonation and it leaves an impression that sticks even when it's finished. Not the most drinkable beer out there, but easily the best RIS I've had from a can. Even at the $3.50 or $4 price point that you often see it.

Yowee. (Again, for good measure).

afksports, Feb 20, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Had this on-tap at Taco Mac in Atlanta on February 19. Review from notes.

A - Pours absolutely opaque black with a small pretty dark brown head. Leaves very little lacing but could have been because of a bad pour.

S - Chocolate. Some roasted malts and also a very slight hop aroma but mostly bittersweet dark chocolate.

T - Taste follows the nose. Extremely chocolatey which gives way to a good roasty flavor toward the back. Actually finishes relatively dry for the richness of the beer. Leaves a good hoppy, roasty, dark chocolate flavor.

M/D - This has one of the thickest bodies of any beer I've had. It works though. Ten FIDY is incredibly rich and therefore it's a definite dessert beer and drinkability is pretty low.

Janderson91, Feb 20, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a can into an oversized snifter.
Appearance: Pours black and quite thick. The head short lived, kind of disappointing. Lacing is moderate.
Aroma: Gives of hints of chocolate and espresso. I smell faint hops as well.
Mouth-feel. This beer coats the palate quite well.
Taste: Sweet, boozy but not overly bitter. I can also taste a bit of the can, but surprisingly, this does not bother me. This beer is extremely well balanced.
Final thoughts: This is a definite must for any imperial stout fan. This beer is worth every penny of the five dollars I paid for it. I will certainly buy a few more cans to age.

ChanChan, Feb 20, 2011