Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

I've been looking forward to this beer for quite some time, especially with all the "is it worth it?" "It tastes like a can" controversy.

A: One of the darkest beers that I've ever seen: Pitch black with a deep brown, one and a half finger's worth of head. Quite a bit of lacing left behind on the glass.

S: Deep, malty, chocolate and coffee aroma. Very malty, and the slight smell of char. Surprisingly subtle, however.

T: Wow. Way more flavor than the smell seems to suggest. Bitter, chocolate malts are up front, with molasses, alcoholic esters, coffee. Lots of flavors that seem to hit all at once and then fade into a slightly alcoholic, bitter coffee aftertaste. Very sweet up front, but the hops balance it out somewhat, as well as the bitter malts.

M: Rich, thick and creamy. Not much carbonation. Very heavy body, as befits the style.

O: A hefty beer to be sure, and not one for the faint of heart. I'm happy to say that I see no evidence of aluminum tainting the brew. It is deeply roasty, both sweet and bitter and thoroughly delicious. Maybe not all it's hyped up to be, but definitely a tasty, tasty brew.

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

Canned on November 14th, drank on January 6th.
poured this into a small class.
Drank it at about 55 degrees fahrenheit

When I poured it I said to myself "looks like motor oil"
So thick and dark, kind of intimidating. Not much head

The roasted smell was definitely there, not too strong of a smell. And the taste as well held the roasted feel and reputation.

You can smell and taste the roasted malts, very pleasing, and very easy drinkability. I would love to try this on tap.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

First off, when I popped the top, there was almost no evidence of carbonation.

A -- No head. Only a bit of brown bubbles. They disapated quickly.
I was told it pours like molasses. That's no joke; it did (poured into a Piraat tulip).

S -- Mainly chocolate, slightly tobacco, coffee and very ripe fruit. I can already smell the roasted barley.

T -- Starts out with a lot of roasted flavor, works through spicy fruit and coffee to citrusy hops with plenty of acid. A slight sweetness lingers. Astringency is absent in this big beer.

M -- It's a mouthful! Complex and syrupy as I expected, but it lacked the tannin tang I had expected.

O -- As expected, it's a great beer from Oskar Blues. I enjoyed the taste, but the mouthfeel and carbonation weren't quite what I expected. Next time, I think I'll let it warm up a little more before cracking it open. I'd definitely drink it again, but I hedge it with this: a better Oskar Blues: a cold Old Chub. A better big stout: Dogfish WW Stout crushes this one.

Update, 1/11/12: warmer was better. Inch of head, more coffee aroma. Body was much fuller.

4.25/5  rDev -3%

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

4.25/5  rDev -3%

A - Pitch black with a slight head. Thick and black like motor oil. Head pours tan, and dissipates quickly.

S - I can smell the alcohol, as it's a 10% beer. I also smell the chocolate malt.

T - The taste is excellent. It's a deep chocolate, mocha, roasted mocha. The alcohol lingers on the tongue and throat, but it's not overwhelming.

M - Full bodied, but extremely smooth.

O - I think this is an excellent beer. I think if you like stouts you should try this one for sure. This is my first one, but I'll be sure to get it again.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Pours like motor oil after 7,000 miles, with a one-finger head that goes down pretty quick to a nice creamy layer. Dark as it gets.

S - A lot of chocolate, earthy woodyness.

T - Nice balance of sweet on the very front and charred roast on the back end. Gets quite bitter on the back end for a stout, but I dig it.

M - You'd expect it to be syrupy from the pour, but it is not. Nice creamy texture.

O - This is a solid stout, but not one I would run to often.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew