Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev 0%

I think I wanted to drink this strictly to have more "in can" reviews. Typical story walked into my beer shop expecting to pay four dollars a can for this "crude oil" and found an old four pack for 7.50!

A - Most say oil but if you pour from a good six inches into the glass you can see light at the end of the tunnel. Nice lacing on top of tulip glass.
S - Mostly roasted malts with slight chocolate and molasses.
T - Mine was very slight with roasty flavor due to age but toffee and molasses was very nice. The roast factor gave way to a slight bitterness which was enjoyable.
M - For something thick it sure was silky smooth to drink.
D - Needless to say along with my sinister stout from the Rivertowne Pourhouse, three cans went down that night and the last the next night. If I found a single that was actually affordable (2-3 dollars) I would love to try it again fresh.

DrDemento456, Apr 11, 2010
4.38/5  rDev 0%

If you mistake this beer for oil, you're excused. The smell is no different than you're typical run of the mill stout. The alcohol content is the first thing that I noticed, as the taste is quite sweet.

The beer is pitch black and there is no head. When pouring I highly recommend a long extended pour ~ 1 ft from the cup into to create a bit of brown fuzz on the rim top.

The taste is spectacular. Would probably be a great beer on very cold evening.

jamesmbirchnyc, Apr 11, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -15.5%

A: Black. Glugs out of the can with a noticeable viscousness. While I am always hesitant to compare beer to motor oil, this one hits the mark. Forms a weak 1/4" of dark tan head that has little retention and quickly reduces to a ring around the side of the glass.

S: Molasses, licorice, sweet roasted malts, and alcohol.

T: Moderately sweet molasses flavor that finishes quickly with a heavy roasted malt bitterness.

M: Moderately thick with low carbonation. Bitter on the tongue.

D: A good beer, but not overly impressive. For me, the reason I drink stouts (and Imperial Stouts and RIS's) if for their complexity and this beer is lacking complexity. There is nothing wrong with it, no off flavors or anything of that nature, but between the flat, black liquid look to the relatively simple and quick finishing flavor, I was left wanting more.

Florida9, Apr 10, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

The beer pours a black color with a brown head. This is what an imperial stout is supposed to look like. The aroma is heavily roasted malt chocolate. The flavor is very nice, with heavily roasted/burnt malt, bitter chocolate and some nice hop character. The alcohol is more present as the beer approaches room temperature. You also get some dark fruit and molasses notes. The mouthfeel is very thick and creamy and the carbonation is pretty low. An awesome beer.

Mora2000, Apr 08, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

A- One of the darkest stouts I've ever seen. Comes out the can blacker than oil and almost as thick and sticky. Not overly carbonated, still manged to get a decent size head which was super dark brown, gritty and fairly loose. Quickly fades to small floating patches. Pitch black, this sucker is imposing. I think I could feels it's presence from across a crowded room by sheer magnetic looks.

S- Rich burnt/toasted smells; astringent alcohol pads, earthy malts scents, balanced well by a hearty hops smells. Sweet, well roasted grains and big alcohol nose.

T- This is a pretty subdued imperial stout. I was expecting a sharp prickly taste, but actually I'm greeted more with thick chocolate malt goodness. Serious alcohol burn, though, this is one spicy meatball. Great balance, great simple nature, this is a straightforward RIS without trying to get too fancy. Burnt and earthy are most in play.

M- Spicy alcohol on the tongue, but pulls wonderfully smooth from the glass with a hearty thickness. A big, mouth-filling beer from a little can. Great feel.

D- A simple formula, great straightforward taste and excellent construction make this a joy to drink. This may be my new regular in the winter months. I loved drinking this.

SamN, Apr 05, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

From a can marked "canned on 11-25-09" into a glass, this one is pitch brown with a 1-finger dark brown cap which fades fairly quickly leaving a thin sheet atop the murky liquid and some lacing. Nose advertises a very sweet malt backbone with notes of molasses and cocoa powder. In the mouth, a fairly complex mix of sweet and dry flavors is on tap. Nicely complex, though a bit overly sweet, the malt is up front and bold, barely reined in by bittering hops which fight for control but are quickly overwhelmed by the nearly cloying malt sweetness. Notes of cocoa and molasses as the beer warms and opens up. This one is definitely best enjoyed warmer. Mouth is superb, very nicely chewy and extremely smooth and velvety. Drinkability is good; even though it verges on overly sweet I could drink 2-3 of these at a sitting. 9.5% ABV should be noted.

Overall: A very good imperial stout, verging on overly sweet but solid overall.

jettjon, Apr 04, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -41.1%

the OB website says this is called Ten Fidy because of the ABV level. but both the can and this website say the ABV is 9.5%, so maybe they need to change the name to Nine Fidy. this one was "Canned with Care" in Nov 2009.

took this out of the fridge for about 30 minutes to let it warm up. not a single hiss when i open the can and it pours pretty flat with probably the most nonexistent head i've ever seen on a stout. completely completely black.

aroma and taste is stone fruits, dark chocolate, a little smoke. the alcohol is there too, and it's a little too hot for me. there is that textbook RIS stickyness. i could use some more carbonation to liven up the tongue and make things less syrupy. i'm glad i tried this one but i won't be going back again often.

coachdonovan, Apr 03, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Ten-FIDY
You are a beautiful RIS. Don't know that I've ever heard a Russian Imperial Stout abbreviated that way, but I like it and will continue to use it until it catches on, if it has not already.

Pour/Color-
Ever held off on an oil change for faaar to long? That's the color. Not much head, as to be expected from a RIS. The head is a coffee-with-a-little-cream color.
Lacing is all, but gone in a matter of second. Though, a ring does stick around for the length of consumption. I like that there is a complete lack of coffee to this beer. Not against coffee beers, but it is nice to have something that breaks away from what seems to me to be an overly common practice these days in your darker beers.

Smell-
Molasses is right up front. Thick and strong. Slight alcohol. Chocolate and... tobacco?
Read a few reviews where this beer was called "too sweet".
I don't know if I would go as far as calling this sweet. A lack of bitterness doesn't equate to a "sweet" stout.
Taste-
Up front you get a nice chocolate and malt flavor. Very, Very smooth. The malt are strong in their roast characteristics, but no right away. The roasted aspect kind of creeps in at the last second before the aftertaste takes over. Minimal bitterness. Very pleasant.

Mouthfeel-
Perfect.

This is a well rounded imperial stout. Does a lot of things that too many breweries don't do. Like, for one, keep it simple. Complexity is great, but in moderation.(If thats not too oxymoronic) This is a smooth, rich RIS that one could drink all the time.

blivingston1985, Apr 03, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Pours out of the can similar to motor oil. Thick and jet black. Nice tan 1.5 finger head. Great lacing start to finish.

S: Roasted malt, sweet chocolate malt, hint of vanilla, mild oak undertones

T: Big beer taste. You can taste all the layers found in the aroma, followed by a little alcohol bite. The hops don't jump out in the taste, but you know they are in there since this beer is so well balanced. Maybe a little hop bitterness in the finish.

MF: Thick, viscous, and layered. Long finish with slight alcohol burn.

D: Gonna keep this one on the list and in the fridge. I like having a big beer like this in a 12oz serving.

karlbronson, Apr 01, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Wow! this came from a can?! Black as night with a small tan head. Malt sticking to the sides of the glass.

S: Apparent Roasted, Caramel, Chocolate and some plumb notes. The alcohol burns my nostrils. No Hop Aroma

T: Nice balance of the roasted malts and chocolate malts to where neither over powers the other. Nice Bittering Hop Balance. No flavor hops detected. Slight Alcohol taste.

MF: Real Creamy, Possibly some Oats or Flaked Barley, Warm, with the slightest alcohol burn surging up the nasal passages. I kept this can at 45F for 2 months and it feels warm in the mouth.

D: I'm only 1/4 way down the glass as I write this and I'm feeling the effect. A nice big beer. I will drink this again.

rmolledo, Mar 31, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Heard alot about this beer and saw it at my local beer store the other night, so I grab a 4 pac @ $14.99...Hey, it's only money.

A couple of nights later I have one, poured into a 16oz. glass, can I say pitch black, I've never seen a beer this dark with minimal coffee colored head. The taste seemed to be coffee/chocolate, to me, a nice balance.

This beer is so smooth going down,sip by sip, you can drink alot of this. Then after awhile the 9.5% kicks in...Good Night. This is a very good beer, one of the better stouts I've tasted. If you see it in your local store, pick some up and give it a try...

InspectorBob, Mar 31, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -9.1%

Served from a can into a Bruery tulip.

Nice tan head if poured a little vigorusly.

Smells is not the greatest. Someone said soy sauce and I completely agreee.

A little bitter after biting through the foam. Once this warms its incredibly drinkable. Creamy mouthfeel. Not a whole lot of roasted barley. Nice oat flavor.

You can't taste the alcohol, but you can feel it by the time you get to the end of the can.

Overall, its a very tasty/smooth imperial. Definitely drink again, a little on the pricey side though.

spoons, Mar 31, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -16%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

A- Pours black with a paper thin brown head that instantly vanishes. No lacing at all.

S- Faint traces of chocolate and coffee. I'm not getting a huge aroma out of this, to be honest.

T- Getting some dark fruit, maybe plums or figs. A little bit of a bitter chocolate and coffee kick near the end. The fruit actually kind of blends with the coffee to create a unique and pretty damn good taste.

M- Thick. Almost syrupy. Just like a good stout should be. Its bordering on too thick though...but it doesn't hit that mark, at least.

D- My feelings are mixed. I've had worse Imperial Stouts, and I've had better. This falls somewhere in between. Oskar Blues is nearly impossible to get in southcentral PA, but on a journey somewhere else, I'd be willing to pick a couple of these up for the unfamiliarity factor.

bigfnjoe, Mar 30, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

A-pours a deep black with a quarter inch dark tan head
S-dark fruits and chocolate with a bit of coffee andburnt flavor which provide a complementing bitterness
T-a wonderful mix of chocolate, dark fruit and coffee with not quite as much of a roasted or alocohl character as in the nose but still an amazing brew the smoothness is out of this world
M-heavy body with a barely noticable carbonation this beer is very heavy and rich, a perfect dessert beer
D-an amazing beer that not only tastes out of this world but is also very delicious and hides its 9.5 behind a combination of huge tastes

joshstevens87, Mar 29, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

12 oz can from West Richland WA Beer and Wine consumed 3.28.10.

Dark brown nearly opaque body, dark tan head slow dissipation with some nice spider leg trails down side of glass, a really nice looking beer. Nose is big chocolate hit, some roast, and a healthy dollop of floral hops for good measure. Taste is yummy, chocolate with a bit of smoke, quite a bit of hoppiness on back end. Mouthfeel is full and sticky. I believe I could consume several of these. In my limited experience this is by far the best canned beer I've had, and a really interesting RIS. Highly recommended.

jdense, Mar 29, 2010
4.38/5  rDev 0%

Can from Malt & Vine. Tasted blind with 14 other stouts that day. This was in top 3.

Pours a dark black with great mocha head. Hints of butterscotch, chocolate and dark brown sugar aroma. Incredibly sweet with molasses flavor. Medium body, incredibly smooth mouthfeel. I've put down a growler of this in a night, so it's incredibly drinkable.

ChrisPro, Mar 29, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Finally reviewing (while watching BEER WARS!)

Appearance: Pours very dark with possibly the darkest one finger head I've ever seen. Head slowly dissipates slowly and leaves a whole bunch of lace.

Smell: Not overpowering, but a bit of coffee and chocolate, even a bit smokey. Although overall not too powerful.

Taste: I get a lot of chocolate up front, then a malty background overwhelms the initial flavor and leaves a slightly licorice flavor. But I kind of feel that big malty flavor just stripped me of that nice lingering espresso/choco/smokey/etc flavor that makes me love a RIS.

Moutfeel: Heavy, but not as huge as Rasputin or Stone IRS.

Drinkability: I can definitely take down a bunch of these, but for the price, I think I'll stick with my favorites.

Notes: Overall I like this beer, I really do...but It doesn't really catch me the way others have. Will I recommend it? Yes, but after I recommend others.

BigIrishman, Mar 28, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -5.7%

Quite the RIS on a can. Tasty and very rich.

Presentation: 12 oz. can. Black, and metallic silver design highlighting the name of the brew over a small mountain horizon. The top of the can includes a few words description the brew superlatively, and the back notes the brief liner "this dog´ll hunt." Shows canned date (12-10-09), and notes Alc. by Vol. (9.5%) Served on a snifter.

A - Black pour with a nice creamy brown head, average retention and touches of lace.

S - Fair nose, almost non-existent at first, but with a bit of warming up faint notes of roasted malt, coffee and chocolate emerge.

T - Luckily the flavor is great for a RIS, rescues the nose, and some more... Rich malt flavors, coffee, more roasted coffee, some chocolate, touches of dark fruit around a hint of hops returning to more malt.

M - Full bodied, creamy and smooth with adequate carbonation.

D - It actually works beautifully. One forgets the shortcomings of the aroma in this serving with such a rich taste and profile.

Notes: Hmmm, it had been a while since I had it last and I did not remember it this good. I´m a bit disappointed with the aroma, temperature was fine and the can fresh, I wonder if they all behave like this. Very nice RIS on a can in any case.

Daniellobo, Mar 28, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Gorgeous black opaque with a creamy tan head, all foamy and small.

Smell is of olive and beef jerky and rich malts. Wow, my mouth is watering already. I'm sooo excited for tasting this. Other smells? It has a richness and a metallic tang.

Taste is potent and meaty, with a metal bite and metal afterbite. A bit of a bitter kick to the end. It has some sourness that twists up my mouth, and it's super tasty. The middle flavor is dark chocolate and sour cherry, just enough to add a lot of interest and satisfaction without turning into a strictly chocolate beer.

I love this mouthfeel. It's rich, thick, with a tongue coating weight and just... it's like whole milk, or that superfood green juice. Like the they feel in my mouth, except this has carbonation. I love thick beverages, and this does the job well. The mouthfeel is incredibly satisfying.

This is so incredibly drinkable. But it's also 9.5% ABV. And it's expensive. So, sadly, this is not a beer I can drink a lot of, though I do think it's worth it's price. Instead, it's a good start to the night. Mmmm. Mmmm. My mouth is SO HAPPY.

Perkyanda, Mar 27, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -14.4%

Bought a 4-pack of these when I heard it was going seasonal. LAME. It's taken me a while to try craft beers in cans, but I've realized I like them just as much bottle form.
Poured into a tulip.

A-Looks like a stout should look. Black as night with 2 fingers of creamy, dark tan head. Lacing is very thick.

S-Chocolately and malty and just as dark fruity. Very balanced, not overpowering.

T-I didn't catch any coffee in the aroma, but it's clearly in the taste. Good amount of molasses. Very Balanced, but too sweet, and a tad artificial tasting.

M-Very smooth. Body is thick, carb is a bit llower than what i like. Alcohol has a bit of a kick on the back end.

D-Smooth. ABV is mostly well-hidden.

xanok, Mar 24, 2010
4.38/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a shaker pint. Thick & black as motor oil. Thin head developed. Good looking beer.

Aroma was rich and full of chocolate and hop bitterness.

Taste was awesome! An extremely chewy stout full of chocolate, roast. They claim this has 98 IBU -- I didn't sense so much bitterness, but the heavy body & residual sweetness may have balanced it out so it seemed less bitter than it really was. The malt/bitterness balance was just perfect here. Great, great flavor.

Very full mouthfeel with nice carbonation. It was chewy yet drinkable. I was ready for more after finishing this. Excellent beer.

mklinger, Mar 21, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance - 5.0 - Totally opaque, inky, darkest brown (not quite black). Medium brown head of fine bubbles is wispy but persistent, always sticking around edges of the glass and lacing nicely when swirled. Beautiful.

Aroma - 4.5 - Incredible mix of roast coffee, oak and alcohol. Reminds me of bourbon barrel stouts with its whiskey-like aroma. No hops in the nose.

Flavor - 4.0 - Very big beer that hits with a huge wave of hop bitterness that drowns out other flavors at first. After the swallow, the roasty, coffee-like flavors rise up as the bitterness fades. Only then does the alcohol burn start. The aftertaste fades surprisingly quickly. This is a little disappointing, but it does lend to the drinkability.

Mouthfeel - 4.5- Thick body with little to no carbonation apparent. Mouth-coating and sticky in a way that perfectly complements the flavors.

Overall Drinkability - 4.5 - Big, bold and satisfying. Lacking a little in complexity compared to some other Imperial Stouts I've had, but this is an incredible beer for the price! The convenient cans are grat, too.

Radome, Mar 20, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -3%

Poured from can into snifter. Dark as night with a decent, almost 2 finger tan head. Good retention and lacing. Smell is very complex of some chocolate, coffee, cream, and burnt grain. Taste is also wonderfully complex. Dark milk chocolate that almost has a creaminess too it with some coffee beans and toasted grain and dry malt. Very nice! Mouthfeel was full and thick as expected, very creamy. Overall a great beer. The ABV is well hidden and even for a RIS, its very complex.

bunnyhustle, Mar 20, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks again to Lerxst!

Canned with care on 11-25-09

Pours luscious, viscous motor oil black. Dark brown espresso creme head fades and leaves a pretty sticky lacing.

Smells of dark roasted coffee and malts, a good amount of dark fruits as well. Some alcohol comes out as it warms.

Lots of coffee in the flavor with a good amount of dates and raisins. The finish is long and stains the mouth with roasty goodness.

Thick and luxurious mouthfeel, but not under-carbonated.

An intense beer, but 12oz is not at all a challenge to finish for me.

Pretty much everything I want in an RIS. It's not over-the-top like a lot of RIS's, but it's still an exciting beer to drink.

sjccmd, Mar 18, 2010
4.38/5  rDev 0%

During an imperial stout tasting for St. Paddy's day.

Ten Fidy out of the can pours a blackish brown color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose, this beer is once again quite impressive. The aroma profile includes coffee, wet tobacco, leather, vanilla and a hint of cherry. Flavors replicate the nose in this moderately sweet beer, and the mouthfeel is full, rich and quite long. Drinkabilty is pretty good, though you can tell this is a big beer, with alcohol that becomes increasingly noticeable over time.

Definitely a classic... and what a treat to get a beer of this quality in a can.

John_M, Mar 17, 2010