Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros

4.23/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Pitch black with a slight head. Thick and black like motor oil. Head pours tan, and dissipates quickly.

S - I can smell the alcohol, as it's a 10% beer. I also smell the chocolate malt.

T - The taste is excellent. It's a deep chocolate, mocha, roasted mocha. The alcohol lingers on the tongue and throat, but it's not overwhelming.

M - Full bodied, but extremely smooth.

O - I think this is an excellent beer. I think if you like stouts you should try this one for sure. This is my first one, but I'll be sure to get it again.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

A - Pours like motor oil after 7,000 miles, with a one-finger head that goes down pretty quick to a nice creamy layer. Dark as it gets.

S - A lot of chocolate, earthy woodyness.

T - Nice balance of sweet on the very front and charred roast on the back end. Gets quite bitter on the back end for a stout, but I dig it.

M - You'd expect it to be syrupy from the pour, but it is not. Nice creamy texture.

O - This is a solid stout, but not one I would run to often.

4.59/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a can on a chilly night.

Appearance:

Ten Fidy pours JET black with a small head that dissipates quickly. There doesn't seem to be any lacing and after a few minutes what little of the coffee brown head there was is now gone.

Smell:

I am a bit disappointed by the smell here. I was hoping for a huge nose on this beer but am getting bits of chocolate and a big malty scent.

Taste:

What the nose is lacking the taste makes up for tenfold. I am loving this beer and cannot get enough of it. There is huge notes of coffee and chocolate. This is a sweet beer that would be paired amazingly with some dark chocolate or any dessert. Oddly enough I'm getting hints of fruit which I wasn't expecting at all. Notes of hops may throw a few people off but overall for a beer geek it doesn't get much better.

Mouthfeel:

This beer should not be this easy to drink for a 10.5% beer. This is dangerous because I could put a few of these down and be flat on my ass. The carbonation holds up great and even for a huge stout this beer goes down easy.

Overall:

This is one of my favorite stouts hands down. If you are a fan of big beers I'd seek this one out. Sadly for me its not available in my state so I have to travel to get it. If you can obtain this beer grab it in a heartbeat because it is hard to be disappointed by this beer.

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

12 oz. can that was canned on 11-14-11, so only about seven weeks old. Pours a deep black body with no noticeable light getting through. A small dark mocha head that leaves a bit of lacing along the glass.

The aroma is pure chocolate and roasted malt. I say pure, but there is a very small note of hops in the background.

The flavor is very rich, following the aroma with the chocolate and roasted malt. There is also a bit of coffee in the flavor that I didn't get in the aroma. Again, at the end of the flavor profile, I get a small note of citrus (lemon) hops.

This is one of the thickest stouts I can recall drinking and is very smooth. No substanital notice of the alcohol. I had previously posted a while back that I wasn't as fond of Ten FIDY as other stouts. But, upon having it again (maybe two years later?), I can say this is definitely an outstanding RIS.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

this is a HUGE beer. pours muddy fudge black into a full pint glass (wow) with a dark brown head and inch high. smells really really strong, bittersweet coffee notes, and bread grains. taste is really bold, heavy dark roasted malts up front and a stiff bitterness on the back end, molasses and espresso in between. mouthfeel is great here, carbonated just enough, and really smooth for such a strong brew. overall a very impressive imperial stout, maybe the best ive had. got to be careful with these though, can get loose pretty quick with the abv. fresh at the brewery in lyons this was epic

4.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can to tulip. Dated 10/11/11.

A: This thing *glugs* out of the mouth of the can: black gold/texas tea style. Thick and dark. Black, black, black; the only color is in a finger's worth of mocha head, which dissipated faster than I anticipated down to a stubborn thin film. Legs.

S: Chocolate malty goodness.

T: Finely-balanced sweet mild dark chocolate and coffee-tinged bitterness (again, mild) of roasted malts.

M: Smooth. Coats the palate fully, pleasantly, with small particulate carbonation throughout.

O: So balanced. A pleasure to drink—and it is drinkable despite its 10.5% ABV. Took an effort to slow down. Dangerous! Delicious.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

10/19/2014. From a can bought at Chuck's 85th into an ale glass. Pours murky black, with tons of tan head that lingers, with lace on the sides. Smells of roasted malt, cocoa, licorice, a little must. Flavor is sweet, with a mix of bitterness and sweetness in the finish. Big mouthfeel, yet smooth and drinkable. Long finish. My go to beer for backpacking trips - concentrated goodness.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew