Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
Brad007

Vermont

Thanks to RutgersBeerGuy for this one.

Color: The color of motor oil. Pitch black beyond all return. Very thin head that's brown in color.

Aroma: Strong chocolate aroma with creaminess. Roasty. A decent whiff of coffee. Rich. Malty.

(best to let this bad boy warm up and then detect aroma)

Taste: Smooth and creamy upfront. Rich. Lots and lots of roastiness in the middle. The hops show through well. Chocolate and dark fruits galore. A second sip just confirms this one. The roastiness is what makes this such a great example of an imperial stout. The alcohol is well-hidden as well.

Mouthfeel: Dry and roasty. Creamy. Smooth.

Verdict: A beautiful, marvelous example of a RIS...but in a can! Who thought that such malty, roasty goodness could come from a can? I'm in love with this beer. I must have more. Apparently, I'm not alone either. Honestly, I just have to give this beer high props because

1. I've never had such a good beer out of a can
2. Russian Imperial Stouts are my favorite style and honestly, I don't see that many where I'm from. I always have to import the best stuff by trade or by travel.
3. It's such a brilliant idea. I wish more breweries thought outside of the box like Oskar Blues has.

Marvelous. I still have quite a bit left in my glass and plan to savor this one to the last drop.

03-15-2008 01:21:03 | More by Brad007
DarkerTheBetter

This looked amazing coming out of the can. The black against AL was impressive. Once in my Darkness tulip, dark patches of black settled between bubbles. This then fell to an impenetrable blackness with an inch of cocoa creamy foam. Looked a lot like milk froth even. Very nice.

Smells of dry dark fruits that intermingle with a sappy green wood. This sadly rounds out into a touch of cough syrup and a hint of celery. Beneath it all there's a dark chocolate backed by a boozy sting. There are some less than desirable aromas here, but the overall blend is quite nice.

Tastes very subdued at first with only pricks of dryness on the edges of my tongue and a faint cherry sweetness but then blossoms with a toasty coffee and dark chocolate. That green sappy wood is back too. This just sorta stops here and the sting on my tongue just gets amplified in the finish lingering along with some burnt coffee and smokey wood. Not bad at all, but rather monochromatic.

Feels really slick and quite small. The carbonation is present but seems to be hiding.

A nice take on the style, but far from my favorite. That being said, if you're an Old Rasputin fan, you just may go nuts for this beer.

03-14-2008 23:18:05 | More by DarkerTheBetter
TheodorHerzl

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours an opaque black with one finer of dark mocha/tan head on it. It is very strange seeing a black beer pouring out of a can, and also not getting the canned "hiss" when opened. I rather like pouring this beer from can to glass. There is a ton of bittersweet chocolate in the nose with secondary scents of roasted coffee, molassas, hops, and some dark fruit. Quite the impressive nose on an imperial stout. The roasted coffee flavors come through at first sip, but other flavors intermingle quite well like powdered bitter cocoa, roasted grain, and burnt currants/plums. You notice all the flavors, but the bitter coffee/chocolate flavor comes through in every drink. I can barely detect any alcohol on the palate as well. This beer is velvety smooth and full bodied. The carbination is low as it should be. The drinkability is top-notch for this beer, and I would stock my house with it if I could find it locally, but I would have to be in the mood for this beer and wouldn't drink it on all occassions.

Overall I am pretty damned impressed by this beer. Personally it goes in my top 10 of all time.

03-12-2008 17:50:40 | More by TheodorHerzl
rowew

Colorado

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Presentation: Great looking silver and black can with a mountain scene above the Ten Fidy logo. Would be nice to have date information, but obviously that won't be an issue with this for a while.

Appearance: Pours from the can very thick, completely black with a very dark brown colored good sized head. Nice retention and lacing.

Smell: Alcohol, lots of bitter and roasted aromas. Some dark chocolate and coffee.

Taste: Thick and creamy mouthfeel, very bitter in flavor. The bitterness is a nice combination of hops and espresso. Tons of roasted flavors, and the coffee and chocolate definitely shows up too.

Overall impression: Wow - this is definitely going to be a staple for camping this summer. Amazing to get this quality of beer in a can, and it seems to be readily available on the shelves in Colorado now.

03-12-2008 05:18:19 | More by rowew
irishevans

Alaska

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

pours pitch black with a thin medium brown head, smells like a floral chocolate milk, an inviting one anyway. nice thick mouth-feel, and a flavor of chocolate malt, minor hop flavor, and a hint of caramel. the scary thing about it, is it drinks like milk, skim milk, in other words far, far too easy for it's abv. wonderful brew don't pass it up.

03-12-2008 02:58:29 | More by irishevans
WesWes

4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

The beer pours motor oil black with a thick frothy brown head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a rich, black and chocolate malt scent that's bitter and roasted. Some hops sneak through the darkness. The taste is good. It has a very bitter, black malt and hop flavor. It's got a nice roasted character also, but the black malts prevail. The mouthfeel is excellent. It is a FULL bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good drinking beer. I have to say that it's a bit over-hyped. It's about as black as a beer gets. But where is the complexity? All in all, I'm glad I finally got a chance to try this one. Thanks JJ.

03-11-2008 22:06:26 | More by WesWes
auxiliary

Rhode Island

appearance - Looked like oil when poured. Nice tan head formed that left some nice lace.

smell - Java beans, and dark chocolate.

taste - Dark chocolate taste with a bitterness to it.

mouthfeel - Full body.

drinkability - Pretty good beer, I would buy this again, seems like a hot little item.

03-11-2008 20:16:23 | More by auxiliary
abankovich

4.28/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a can filled completely up to the brim. It's funny opening a can and not getting the hiss that you'd normally expect from the carbonation in pop.

Actually very little head at all on this one. Poured aggressively into my snifter, this beer looks like oil while it's pouring out. Completely black, no light is able to get through when I hold it up in the air. The very thin head that did form was a nice brown color while it lasted. There is definitely a lot that clings to the sides of the glass when I swirl it or take a drink.

Smells of chocolate and java are hitting my nose but not overwhelming at all.

This beer is delicious. I love it and wish I lived in a state that sold it. Smooth chocolate is what I notice up front, it even feels like I'm drinking thick chocolate milk and I want to chew what's in my mouth. There is a quick hint of the alcohol in the middle that fades away to a very toasty flavor that lingers for awhile. Definitely warming as it goes down, and filling.

Again, I would love to have access to this beer. Very rich, filling, smooth, full and flavorful. Thanks again to RustyDiamond for the trade.

03-11-2008 01:08:51 | More by abankovich
Deuane

Lucky to have this one on tap at Zeno's...thanks Dave!

A-Deep, light absorbing black with a ridiculous dark tan head that looked like a living creature. Left heavy lacing throughout. One of the best looking beers I have seen.

S-Some liight chocolate and burnt malt. Not as intense as I would have expected.

T-Chocolate, burnt malts and a slight bourbonesque tatse. Really nice tatse throughout.

M-Smooth and creamy. This has a serious good mouthfeel. So big and rich....ends with an odd alcoholic finish...keeping this from getting a 5.

D-Very nice but a bit too big to have many of. Glad to have had it on tap.

03-10-2008 19:21:24 | More by Deuane
flexabull

Can courtesy of Jdiddy, thanks again.

Funny, when I grabbed this can from the fridge, I went looking for my bottle opener. Yet another benefit of canned beer, no need for one!

I have to say, it looks very cool, and also very odd seeing a black brew pouring out of a can. But it sure looks great, and matches well with the black and silver can.

Beer is a dark flat black color, with a great tan head.

Aromas are very nice, dark bitter chocolates, nutty, and creamy.

Taste is strong. This beer doesn't have any subtleness to it. This is a big black brew. There is a big dark malt presence, some coffee, nutty flavors, and very bitter dark chocolates. Alcohol is present, and gives the beer a warm feeling. While the finish is dry with some very bitter mineral flavors from the hops.

Mouthfeel is ok. Seems too thin for the style.

Drinkability is pretty good. This is a tasty and a quite good Russian Imperial Stout. It's not great though, I can think of a few others in the style that I prefer.

Kudos to Oskar Blues for continuing to put out very good beers in my favorite vessel, the can.

03-10-2008 03:10:56 | More by flexabull
erosier

Connecticut

3.78/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a deep black color with a thick tan head that laces the glass all the way down. This beer smells of deep roasted malts and some hop bitterness and a little bit of alcohol. It tastes of sweet deep roasted malts but there is a slight burnt taste along with some hoppy bitterness at the end. The mouthfeel is good - very thick rich and creamy. The drinkability is good as I could have more than one of these in a night.

03-10-2008 00:43:02 | More by erosier
JoeyBeerBelly

4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

Got this bad boy in a trade w gkatsoris, thanks George!

12oz can, served in a standard pint glass.

A - black, with a coffee colored head that remained as a layer the entire time, leaving brown globs of lacing on the glass.

S - 'cocoa puffs' chocolatey aroma.

T - better than cocoa puffs, semi-sweet chocolate flavor gets a bitter kick in the pants on the finish.

M - thick, rich, smooth and creamy.

D - a yummy treat.

03-09-2008 22:57:51 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
DrJay

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Imperial stout in a can... cool. Thanks to Oxymoron for sending this in a recent trade.
Pretty much black with faint brown edges, looked pretty thick during the pour. Fine, dark brown foam that left some streaky lacing on the glass. Though there isn't a lot there, it had good head retention. Chocolate/toffee aroma, some licorice, roasty, with faint fruity hops. Spicy? Super malty with solid, balanced bitterness. Lots of bready malts, bittersweet chocolate, slightly burnt, with citrusy hops hiding in the middle and lingering with toffee in the finish. There's a dark, ripe fruit character hiding in there too. Roast was milder than expected, letting the richness of the malt stay in the forefront, but it did manage to fill out the finish. Delicious. Awesome mouthfeel. Thick and creamy, silky texture, fine carbonation. Chewy and very heavy. Luxurious. Wow. No hint of alcohol at all, making this an insanely drinkable (and dangerous) imperial stout. Highly recommended.

03-08-2008 04:12:42 | More by DrJay
letsgopens

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

This fantastically unique RIS pours a completely opaque, ink black body with a luscious, dark brown, 1/2 inch of foam perched on top. The incredibly attractive head lasts good and long as well. This is essentially what an RIS should look like in my opinion. I can't imagine how I would improve it.

Wow, the aroma is just plain surprising; and in a good way. I expected a big, chocolaty, coffee, roast bomb (and don't get me wrong, those flavors are in there), but the primarily contributor to aroma is definitely the big leafy, bitter hops. I've never had an RIS that's been hopped this well while still maintaining such a fantastic texture. The hops are certainly something to behold but beyond that there is tons of deep, roasty notes and a hint of vanilla. Ridiculously unique.

The flavor is super creamy and formidable with smoke, strong black coffee, bitter baking cocoa, and even more of those delicious, pungent hops. Earthy, deep and roasty. So complex and satisfying. I've heard good things about this selection, but I wasn't expecting it to be this fantastic.

What a mouthfeel. Thick and creamy with a juicy, dense, syrup feel. It's essentially like sipping extremely tasty, aromatic motor oil but with a slight fluffy feel in the finish. This is one to savor, especially on a chilly, snowy nigh like tonight.

03-08-2008 01:42:10 | More by letsgopens
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Holy God!!

Thanks to gkatsoris for the trade.

Pours pitch black, impenetrable to light. The beautiful head is what gets me right away. Nice thick mocha foam on top with incredible retention and great lace. My this smells good. Roasty and toasty. Just the way I like it. The taste on this is simply divine. Roasty toasty malts, nice coffee and chocolate flavors through the middle. followed by (IMO) the PERFECT amount of hop bitterness on the finish. This is one wonderful stout. The mouthfeel is flawlessly viscous and creamy. Drinkability cannot be beaten. I strongly recommend this stout to everyone. Anyone who doesn't think great beer can come out of a can, this beer will change your mind GUARANTEED!!!! (If you like impy stouts that is). Defenitely one of my favorite beers. This four pack is not going to last long. I'm going to Colorado. Honey! feed the dogs!

03-07-2008 22:49:23 | More by AKBelgianBeast
largadeer

3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance - Pitch black. Even when thinned, it's black. The head is practically black. Quite easily one of the darkest beers I've ever seen.

Smell - Roasty and dough-like, almost burnt, with just a touch of sweet molasses. Almost smells like burnt coffee with a few sugars in it when it warms up a bit.

Taste - Dark roasted coffee, chocolate cookies and burnt toast immediately spring to mind. Not much sweetness here, with earthy hops providing even more bitterness. Sharp, burnt bitterness remains on the palate long after you've swallowed. While this is easily one of the most imbalanced imperial stouts I've had, it's damn good. The dryness is almost refreshing, making this one dangerously drinkable beer.

Mouthfeel - Full-bodied, viscous, moderate carbonation. Definitely not lacking in texture.

03-07-2008 01:06:11 | More by largadeer
nlmartin

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer came my way from Beer Power Ball Week 2. Cant remember who sent it but big thanks to you!...

The beer was lightly chilled and poured from the can into an Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours pitch black with no opaqueness to light. The head is the color of lightly creamed coffee. The head quickly resolves to a ring of foam.

Smell: The beer delivers an aroma of very well roasted coffee. Bitter sweet chocolate notes raise up from the glass in counter point to the roasted and charred malts. This beer is very promising.

Taste: The beer delivers the expected well roasted coffee flavors. This is accompanied by nutty dry cocoa flavors. I can just barely taste the ghost of dark fruits prunes and raisins. This gives way to warming peppery alcohol and flash of bitterness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The body of the beer is medium. The carbonation is low but appropriate. The has a pleasant smooth oilyness. This is a dam fine RIS. I enjoyed the beer from the moment I poured it into the glass. Well played Oskar Blues.

03-06-2008 03:41:33 | More by nlmartin
bassmantin

4.13/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a very dark brown/black with fine, thick brown head into a wine glass. Very nice appearance. I am reviewing this beer without knowing what it is, so I hope I can provide an unbiased opinion.

Smell is nice and thick, rosty, with lots of chocolate. Fairly subdued, though. I like it. The initial taste is tame, with a good balance of chocolate and roasty malts. I like it quite a bit. The aftertaste hits with a brutal alcohol punch that last for quite some time. Now that my palate has been destroyed, I don't expect to ever taste those subtle malts again.

On second taste, the malts on this one have a very intricate sweetness. I almost taste bubblegum. Very intriguing. This is a great stout.

Overall: I don't know what it is yet, but I hope I get the chance to buy more. Just for kicks, I am going to guess what I think this one is before looking. Ok, I think it is the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout... Ok, I was way off. This one isn't nearly as intense. I forgot I had this one in the back of the fridge. Wow, what a great beer.

03-06-2008 02:20:07 | More by bassmantin
Ego

4.25/5  rDev -3%

obtained from oak tree buy rite (of course)

eyes...
from a can (oooohhh ahhh)
"impressive, most impressive" - darth vader
a good full finger of head (cocoa colored) rises up and clings to the sides of the glass not wanting to let go. no light penetrates this beast, lacing is excellent, the head is made up of a nice pack of microbubbles on the surface/glass edge. the head is sticking around while I type all this BS. hell.. yeah..

nose...
dark bitter chocolate mixed with dark bitter coffee (no sugar or cream), I also get some prune/raisin notes, whew.. the odor is BRINGIN' it. not the most complex thing to pass under the schnoz but it is assertive. this reminds me Rogue's imp, and that is impressive.. can vs ceramic bomber.. wow...

taste etc...
the same bitterness in the aroma is there.. really walking the line between coffee and chocolate, the flavor is deep, this has such a nice punch flavor wise that you might miss the body being a bit too light for the style, this drinks wayyy too easy for that reason.. and also the alcohol is completely behind the curtain, the flavor is very rich, I am digging it, despite the body not being what I want it is hard to complain about this beer... man the flavor is deep as rosie o'donnel's .. nevermind...

verdict?
a really good beer (really), recommended. it wasn't cheap, I would probably still default to Old Rasputin given availability/price but this one is worth seeking out if you like the style. I really enjoyed this beer and almost feel guilty for nit picking it's bad points. The bad points here are almost an afterthought really.

03-05-2008 04:19:29 | More by Ego
Monkeyknife

Missouri

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks to RoBotGod for this beauty.

Poured from a can a none-more-black with a thick rich chocolate malt head.

Aroma of chocolate, dark fruits, molasses, nuts, and booze.

Tastes of dark chocolate, dark fruit, and roasted malts. Noted lots of hops in the finish. The alcohol is in there and it shows.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, slightly slick, and mildly carbonated.

This is quite the enjoyable RIS from Oskar Blues and perfect for a cold snowy night. I'll definitely have this one again when given the chance.

03-05-2008 03:36:01 | More by Monkeyknife
dickieb

Rhode Island

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours pitch black, completely opaque with a good size dirty brown head. The lacing is apparent throughout and a darker shade of brown. The smell is nutty with dark malts and some light chocolate and some spent coffee beans. The flavor is again heavy with the dark and chocolate malts, and the coffee is a bit more evident here. I catch the smallest hint of some bittering hops, but one of the things this beer dose well is hide the heat. I would think it was 8% if I diddnt know better. The carbonation is light. making the mouthfeel light for the style, and the drinkability is right up their fro the RIS. This is without a doubt the best beer I have ever had out of a can.

03-05-2008 00:11:08 | More by dickieb
david131

4.25/5  rDev -3%

A- Pours absolutely pitch black... this is one of the darkest beers I have ever encountered. A very thick, creamy brown head forms and has wonderful retention. This is a mean looking beer.

S- Chocolate, some coffee, and nutty. Am I nuts, or do I get hints of raspberry in there too? Good, but not terribly complex.

T- Smokey, chocolate, coffee, nutty. Bitter, but not in a hoppy sense. Not all that intense, which is not a bad thing. Pretty subdued and subtle- which seems to be one of this breweries stronger points.

M- Wickedly smooth. This is wonderfully done. This almost seems as if it was half nitro/ half CO2. This really helps the drinkability.

D- Rich, but very smooth and tasty. Very impressive for the style. Not the best I have had, but thoroughly enjoyable.

03-04-2008 01:36:07 | More by david131
paulthebeerguru

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a snifter. Ten Fidy poured a deep black, like old motor oil, with a nice rich tan head that lingers for a little bit, with some light lacing. Aromas are of molasses, sweet malts, caramel, toffee, coffee and dark cocoa. Tastes are of coffee, rich chocolate, strong alcohol tons also linger. Some hop characteristics, but the malts just take over. Very complex. Mouthfeel smooth, creamy, and a little thick. Mild to low carbonation level. Outstanding stout, not a session beer by any means, but I could drink this consistently.

03-03-2008 18:33:18 | More by paulthebeerguru
3leggeddub

Poured from can into Duvel tulip snifter.

Appearance: I know it's overused, but this stuff really does look like the aftermath of a long overdue oil change. Black brown that swallows light and allows none to penetrate. Very thin cocoa head.

Smell: Nutty. Roasted coffee. A hint of burnt chocolate. Not very strong though.

Taste: Lots of earthy bitterness like unsweetened chocolate. Alcohol. Finishes bone dry. Flies in the face of a lot of imperial stouts in that there isn't the creaminess and sweetness at the finish. There's lots of bitter and burnt here along with hops hiding away. Somehow given all that it's still appealling.

Mouthfeel: Oily and thick. Carbonation not really a presence. Covers the palate, but then disappears with that dry finish.

Drinkability: Given the boldness of the taste and high ABV one Ten Fidy will be enough for a sitting.

Overall: It's a compelling beer but definitely not for everyone. There will be plenty of RIS fans who will take a pass on this one, but you should at least try it once. In all honesty it could use something extra, maybe a touch of sweetness, to balance out the bitterness and sharp edges.

I picked up a 4 pack and the other 3 will last me a long, long time. It's a bit like a really strong rauchbier in that respect; even though it's good you need it only on occasion.

03-03-2008 15:23:36 | More by 3leggeddub
KiltedCulinarian

Georgia

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a smallish goblet, presented a dark black color with a finger of dark chocolate brown foam. Lacing splotched all over the glass, and lasted for as long as I nursed this drink. Rich smell, which carried over into the flavor. Almost a little too bitter, but in a good way; I would compare it to a really well made espresso. Thick on the tongue with a full body. Not an everyday beer, but nice as a dessert. Quintessential stout.

03-03-2008 06:11:50 | More by KiltedCulinarian