Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev -26.9%

Not my favorite RIS. The promise of the smooth dark pour was not delivered in either smell or taste. Two qualities that I cannot separate when tasting a beer for the first time. The whole experience is so tied together that I am almost shocked by what a let down the smell is. Watching it pour into my glass made me long for a deep nose full of rich aroma but I was left with a strong alcohol and burnt molasses. Like biting into bakers chocolate when expecting a hersheys bar.

A: dark smooth appearance with a small amount of head that dissapates quickly in the glass. No lacing to speak of.

S: Almost rubbing alcohol with a burned candied cherry hiding in the back.

T: Hard to distinguish from the smell. Definite cherry flavors (I know this sounds wierd but this tastes like one of those pie cherries that had already fallen off the tree and started to ferment.) Mom told me not to eat those.

M: The rich undertones do coat your entire mouth. Very little carbonation to get in the way. Feels like an after dinner dessert liquor.

D: One is enough to last a long while. A sipper for sure.

Glad to be able to try it and review it. Not a beer I would share with less seasoned palates.

NoHipTee, Oct 28, 2009
4.38/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12oz can into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass. ABV says 9.5% rather than 10...

Liquid is a menacing bistre, approaching black topped by a fallow to dark-tan finger of foam. Excellent cascading lacing, and a whisper of varnishing legs.

Complex aromatics include dark roast coffee, toffee, brown bread crust, slight burnt toast, hot chocolate, and caramel.

Molasses, rich malt and grain roasted to varying levels, cocoa, espresso, and earth notes on the palate. Prunes and/or dates, followed by a wonderful bitterness to balance the sugars - equal parts hops and roasty astringency. Very long rich bittersweet finish.

Heavy bodied, moderately carbonated, wonderfully warming - thick, luscious mouthfeel with just enough astringency to keep you from chugging.

Drinkability is very high, though the heat will catch up with you if you drink too quickly...

An excellent well balanced RIS, compares well to all but the top-level of bottled examples of the style.

augustgarage, Oct 27, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -9.8%

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a dense, solid black with just over an inch of thick, deep tan head that had great retention and lacing.

The aromas were a little more subdued than I expected for the style, but still full of deep, rich roasted notes. The flavor was right where I think the style should be, plenty of the deep malts with just a slight tang of hop on the finish.

The body was also just about right for the style, full, deep and rich without being overly heavy. The drinkability is very good although, personally, I have a hard time drinking more than 2 big stouts in a row, my palate tires of them quickly.

Overall, a very good beer that's worth seeking out.

beertunes, Oct 22, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oskar Blues Ten-Fidy poured into a crystal snifter.
Purchased at Boo's in Columbus, Ga.
I'm not gonna give all 5's until I have a reasonable number of reviews under my belt, but...damn.
appearance-jet black. Beautiful.
smell-Man, this is nice, chocolate, banana, roasty...
taste- as good as the nose!
mouthfeel is creamy and it's unbelievable this is a 10%'er...so smooth.

cindyjeffsmith, Oct 21, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh yeah, one of the best Imperial stouts, esp from a can. I've been excited to finally review this one, and now I can.

A: Pours with very thick and super dark head, that seems to fade quickly. Its super pitch black color puts black holes to shame, and I would lube up my car.

N: Nose of course is loaded with roasted malts and chocolate. A slight crisp beer like aroma shines through, but makes my heart sink into darkness and shame. I can smell the 10W-40000 eminating from this.

T: Super thick and rich, creamy, roasted malts up the wazoo, and chalky chocolate dance around in your mouth. A very slight carbonation and nice hop flavor and bitterness really nicely layer. Rich and feels like its full of vitamins, must be good for me. The dark stout feels like its pulling the color right from my tongue. I have a feeling my tooth brush will be black every day for the next two weeks now. It leaves a layer of thick syrup that never goes away, no matter how much I drink more of it, wait, that doesn't seem to work. And I can barely even detect the alcohol, except a slight warming and spice taste, so it hides the 10% very well!

M: Super thick and even thicker than that. Creamy and rich, flows down your throat slower than molasses. Layers your mouth and very low carbonation.

F: Finishes pretty stouty and dry, and like super bitter dark chocolate. A chocolate milk comes to mind, chocolate milk that would conjure up the depths of oblivion and demon spirits from beyond the gates of Grenach! I can feel the lost souls escaping from the thick syrup into my tongue and trying to run away and but getting swallowed by the richness.

jlindros, Oct 19, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

A RIS in a can? Could it be? Yes.
Poured from 12oz can into DFH snifter.

A - Pours black with a dark roasted brown/tan colored head. Two fingers worth of head leaves a small amount of lacing an a thin cap on top with some bubbles popping up here and there.

S - Dark fruits, alcohol burn, sweet malts, molasses, burnt carmel, coffee beans, and some chocolate. Lots of dark fruity sweetness up front with the malts followed by the bitter coffee/chocolate notes on the end.

T - A lot more bitter chocolate and coffee beans then I was expecting. I thought this would be more sweet but I actually prefer the bitterness over the sweetness. Some alcohol burn, but not 10% worth, very well hidden. A nice roasted/bitter finish that I'm really digging.

M - Full bodied, creamy and rich, really engulfs the palate. A dry finish.

D - At 10%, this would kick my ass if I opened another can. That said, it's very approachable for the style and ABV. Great things do come from cans, there's no doubt about it with this one!

Sean9689, Oct 17, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a like motor oil. Thick black and shiny. Creates a nice rich head that is the color of chocolate whipped cream.

S - Big tasty roasted malt smells, with touches of chocolate and toffee. Sweet and heavy on the nose. Smells awesome.

T - Sweet, chocolate and toffee at first. The hops kick in and balance out the sweetness half way through the sip. The aftertaste has coffee and bitter cocoa notes, which is a nice balance to the sweet begining of this beer.

M - Thick and syrupy, with moderate carbonation. This beer is smooth and velvety.

D - Incredibably drinkable. This is smooth,big and well balanced. The alcohol is completely covered up and the taste is awesome. My only complaint would be how sweet the first sip is, but the hops kick in right away and provide a nice balance.

Genghis22, Oct 15, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

A=deep, dark brownish black with a slight amount of dark caramel/golden color head

S=aromas of cocoa, coffee, and alcohol. sweetness is evident

T=sweet cocoa some bitterness on the tail end, alcohol is fairly well masked.

M=crisp carbonation, nice alcohol warming

D=drinkable for the style,however a little sweet and too potent for too many.

jacobseyb, Oct 14, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -17.1%

I've had the good fortune to try the whiskey-barrelled Ten FIDY, and while it wasn't really to my liking it didn't dampen my desire to try the original Ten FIDY - one of the world's benchmark imperial stouts. While I did enjoy my hour with this beer, it wasn't the mind blowing experience I hoped for, and I would not put in the top tier of imperials.

The appearance is classic. If there is a darker imperial stout I would like to see it. A midnight black body supports a finger of chocolate head which slowly dies down and leaves tings of lace on the snifter. A rich aroma of chocolate, coffee, vanilla and sweet rum soaked dark fruit greets the nose. Up to now, everything is first rate, and has me thinking that Ten FIDY deserves its spot in the top 100.

Its in the flavour where I feel the beer starts to lose it. While all the requisite elements are there they are overpowered by a sticky sweetness which makes the whole beer unbalanced for me. Its as if the bittersweet chocolate and rich coffee notes that are lurking underneath have been bullied to submission by an army of sugar. Its too bad, really, as I know that if it was toned down a notch I'd find this beer to be phenomenal, because its otherwise nicely balanced and full of roasty goodness. There's even a nice hop bite in the tail. The body is also spot on for the style, but when coupled with the sweetness, its heavy weight slowly becomes cloying.

I wasn't expecting this to be such a huge dessert beer, and it probably wouldn't have been a problem if I hadn't already had two helpings of pie. Just too much sugar all round. Tone it down and call me back.

bobsy, Oct 13, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -3%

Presentation 12 oz can into a Pint glass.

Appearance: This is quite a sight. It looks and glugs like motor-oil out of the can. The color is an impossible black. 100% absence of late. The darkest beer you have seen. The head looks like a fingers width of espresso crema and dissipates much like a shot of espresso would. Even coffee isn't this black. If it wasn't for the medium brown lacing I'd be scared to drink this brew, so this gets a 4.5 in appearance.

Smell: Big whiff of alcohol in the nose and a huge medley of roasted malt. Smells like coffee and dark cocoa colliding with bourbon.

Taste: Dissipate the huge alcoholic nose, the beer is far more pleasant then that. Tastes like dark chocolate malt balls, biscuit and a little bit off coffee. This beer is 98 ibus so there most a decent amount of hopping, however I cannot taste much. It might be what is giving this beer a bright biscuity finnish. Theres also a tiny bit of prune and plum taste hidden in there. Chocolate biscuit taste gets more pronounced as the beer warms as does its alcoholic warmth.

Mouthfeel: Despite smelling the alcohol there is hardly any taste of it. Nor is the 98ibus all that noticeable. There is a dryness in this beer, but its not brutal. Body is extremely thick and heavy. I mean would you expect anything less for something this dark and evil looking.

Drinkability: As with all imperial stouts, its not really a beer for an occasion, however this is more drinkable then many even for being a 10% motor oil looking 98 ibu monster. Will drink again especially as winter dawns defiantly a fireplace sipper. Ones really enough to fill your stomach.

MaxBrews, Oct 11, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -11%

Pours a deep dark black. Full frothy khaki head, retention is good and lacing is nice. Smell is of roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate, earth, dark fruit. Taste follows smell with a focus on the coffe, chocolate earth and dark fruit. Oily, viscous, full bodied. Not too sticky and little aftertaste. Very good tasting RIS that leans a little away from tradition.

rfgetz, Oct 11, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

A - Pours an opaque, pitch black color with a somewhat thin but very nice looking creamy, dark brown head. Spotty lacing.

S - Rich, roasted malt aromas with notes of coffee, cocoa and a hint of sweet dark fruitiness. There is a bit of hop bitterness hiding in the background.

T - Very flavorful roasted malts with tones coming through similar to the aroma - mostly coffee, cocoa and some dark fruit (raisins, prunes). A nice level of hop bitterness backs up the malts, and gives the finish a nice, slightly dry feel leading into a lingering roasty malt flavor. The ABV is hidden well too, not picking up on much, if any, alcohol flavor.

M - Very rich and full bodied with a smooth feel due to low carbonation.

D - A great example of the RIS style. Very nice combination of malt flavors and well-balanced with ample hop bitterness backing up the richness. The only thing that would hold me back on the drinkability is the 10% abv, which could be dangerous in such a delicious brew. I will definitely be adding this into the winter rotation.

GarrisWH, Oct 09, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to BA beandip for a 4 pack of this! Thanks Adam!

Poured into my Surly tulip. Pours a thick jet black, completely opaque. Initially it doesn't look like much head will show up, but after you stop pouring it grows. I got about a finger of molasses colored head. Retention isn't the greatest, and it doesn't leave much lacing. But other than that, I couldn't imagine a better looking RIS.

The nose is an expert blend of bitter chocolate, sweet malts, vanilla and caramel, ground coffee, roasted malts. It's not unlike other RIS's I've had. There isn't a realy big hop character here, this one is very malty.

The taste is much more roasty than I anticipated, almost drowning out the subtle hints of caramel and vanilla. I still get a significan portion of bitter chocolate and ground coffee. There is a nice bitter bite at the end. No alcohol present. There is also a bit of molasses as it warms.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, smooth and beautiful. Goes down great, it's hard to put this one down. The bitterness definitely comes out in the taste, which is odd because I didn't get it at all in the nose.

Drinkability is good. What a great beer from a can. I'm very impressed.

Finally! I've been meaning to pick this up in Hudson for ages, but every time I go, they are sold out. Thank you so much, Adam, for the chance to try this great beer!

Mistofminn, Oct 09, 2009

Amazing, top of the line Imperial Stout here! Pours a dark black with the look and consistancy of used motor oil. Rich chocolate-colored two-fingered head. Smells of roasted coffee and chocolate. Normally I am not a fan of imperial stouts. Generally they taste like burnt coffee with alcohol added. This isn't like that. This is strong, as an imperial stout should be, but extremely tasty and drinkable. Not something a frat boy is going to chug. Instead it is a very savory sipping beer. Huge delicious chocolate taste with hints of coffee and malts. A slight alcohol burn on the back of the throat after a drink, but not something you are going to taste. Left a dark brown lace on the glass after each drink that required the pint glass to have a second quick rinse afterwards. Generally the imperial stouts I have tried have a very up-front alcohol taste. Not this one at all. Works extremely well after a nice meal as a dessert. I would not give any beer a perfect rating unless it absolutely deserved it. This one does. I have had top-rated imperial stout DarkLord by 3 Floyds Brewery at three seperate beer festivals, and I have to say I prefer Ten Fidy to it. Ten Fidy should be every bit as celebrated as DarkLord! Ten Fidy should be the gold standard that all imperial stouts aspire to.

jhp40219, Oct 08, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

~ Purchased this 12 oz can from New Beer Distributors in Manhattan, NY. Pours a syrupy motor oil black with a nice brown head. Aromas are of chocolate, coffee, and licorice. The taste is pretty much what you would expect from a well-crafted RIS. I still cannot get over how this heavenly goodness just poured right out of a can! Who would have thought? This stout is big, bold, and powerfully flavorful. At 10% ABV, it went down smooth, but at this level, you are confined to one, maybe two at best. A great nightcap. Highly recommended. ~

Goldfish19, Oct 05, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz. can poured into stout glass.

A: Just awesome! The blackest of the black, with two finger dark brown head that has minimal retention but leaves medium lacing down the glass.

S: Smells of heavily roasted malts, chocolate malt as well as roasted barley. At 98 IBU's I would expect some hops in the nose, but I can't find any.

T: Again, heavily roasted malts and barley, definitely some bitterness from earthy hops. The alcohol is there, but not overly done and leaves a welcoming warming sensation in the aftertaste. Milky chocolate is most prevalent in the taste overall, coffee comes in a close second. Very good.

M/D: Very viscous, very thick mouthfeel. Silky smooth with the low carbonation. Alcohol is present and leaves a bit of a burn.

A great beer that I would buy over and over again if it were available here in Ohio. Probably the best beer to come out of a can.

TheViolator666, Oct 04, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from 12oz can into wide snifter.

A- I know this phrase is overused.. sue me. Motor oil black. Java coffee black. The darkest head I've ever seen in a beer, settles to about 1cm and is pretty uniform. Looks damn impressive.

S- I can smell this from the pour. Boozy, for sure. Rich, dark chocolate and spicy plums. A bit too boozy, in my opinion.. but then again its 10%, so I guess its all in order.

T- Wow. Really really good. The alcohol in the nose has almost vanished in the taste. Caramel, coffee, and burnt malts shine through, each fighting to be the dominate force. Whatever wins, its all good for me. A superb RIS. Sweet, but not cloying at all... this comes from a can????

M- Rich, creamy, but not as heavy as you would expect. Goes down incredibly smooth, with a bit of alcohol on the back end... but @ 10%... damn. Very well-crafted. I am impressed.

D- Moderate, as most RIS's are.. perhaps a bit moreso though. I really enjoyed this beer, and at the price, I couldn't name a better RIS. I waited a long time before I got this.. glad I finally did. Now I have to make up for lost time. While I wasn't blown away by Dales Pale.. this beer has left my jaw on the floor. I see a lot more of this in my future.

EDIT- despite my glowing praise, I rarely find myself coming back to this one. Price hikes suck. Jumped from $2 a can to $4 a can. No thanks.

ShogoKawada, Sep 30, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Saw this bad boy sitting on the shelf, had to pick it up.

Appearance: Pours a thick, viscous black with a solid inch of chocolaty head that fades nice and easy leaving behind some nice soapy lacing.

Smell: Chocolate stands out on this one, chocolate with a bit of roasted malt.

Taste: Like the smell, I'm getting bitter chocolate with hints of roasted malts. Absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel: IMHO, the best feature of this beer. Thick, creamy, smooth, and full bodied. Wow.

Drinkability: Dangerously drinkable for 10.00% ABV. Smooth, creamy, and just downright good. I'm glad I bought a 4-pack. I'll be keeping an eye out for this bad boy.

krisandajt, Sep 26, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Thick cottony head with a deep froth that reminds me of espresso, lots of sticky patches along the edge of the glass, dark in a black hole sort of way - no light passes - 5.00, S: Strong chocolate and espresso aromas, burnt molasses and brown sugar, some pitted fruit smells - 4.50, T: Loaded with cocoa and chocolate, solid hops bite, there's a raisin like sweetness to this beer and some nice roastiness, alcohol is noticeable but quite nicely masked, this is one tasty brew - 4.75, M: Creamy and heavy body - 4.50, D: Another exceptional beer from Oskar Blues, very drinkable though the cost almost edges this outside of my price range, definite a beer for those special occasions - 4.50

deereless, Sep 26, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours as black as oil, and nearly as thick. Little carbonation. A thin head quickly disappears, leaving only a milk chocolate ring around the glass.

Aroma is not very strong, but what's there is full of burnt caramel, chocolate, and soy sauce.

Taste is sweet and metallic - perhaps from the can? Bitter coffee, soy sauce, and molasses dominate up front. Also a slight dried fruit. Hops at the end, not much but more than your typical stout. The hops are a bit floral and not too dry, typical of popular American hop varieties, and do a lot to balance the initial dark sweetness.

The flavor here is incredibly complex. The more I sip, swish, and think, the more I can detect. A sweet note here, a bitter note there, a glimmer of citrus, some burnt smoke. Alcohol is surprisingly hidden.

A looong aftertaste, deserving of at least five or six o's. Finish is dry, with a slight iodine bitterness that fills the palate long after I've swallowed.

Mouth is bold and full. The beer coats the tongue. There's not much carbonation or alcohol tinge. It's smooth, not syrupy. It's highly drinkable - but 'sippable' rather than 'gulpable'. I could easily put back several over the course of a few hours, it's not heavy or filling like most stouts. I'm restricting myself to one, though, mostly because at 10% alcohol, I might not remember anything past the third.

Ten Fidy has been on my 'to-try' list for about two years, so there's a great deal of anticipation and expectation here. I'm happy to report that my high standards were met, but not exceeded. This is the most hoppy stout I've ever tasted, yet somehow that's desirable. A great beer all around.

Full article: http://timdudley.net/beer/?p=106

TimDudley, Sep 25, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

A- Pours a deep jet black color (almost as dark as the can) with a huge rocky dark brown head that leaves some nice rings of lace.

S- Roasted burnt malt aroma with hints of black coffee and smoke. Bittersweet chocolate is apparent as well.

T- A big heap of roasted flavor with a decent bitterness. Lots of coffee and burnt malt comprise the majority of the flavor profile. Among some other tastes are black licorice, anise, cocoa nibs, caramel, and oak. There is a very noticeable alcohol presence with a slight warming effect.

M- Thick and chewy with a light carbonation. This baby is really smooth and really viscous.

D- "This dog'll hunt"...pretty awesome.

projectflam86, Sep 25, 2009

A - Standard black imperial stout with a dark brown head.
S - Roasted malt, chocolate and hint of coffee.
T - Not sure if it was mental but I got some metallic (aluminum) taste right off the bat. I didn't get it as the beer warmed up. I noticed others said similar things. I did like how well the alcohol was hid.
M - I think it could have used a little bit more carbonation. I enjoyed how carbonated Dark Lord was.
D - A standard Imperial Stout. There was no shock value other than the awesome can. But overall, this was a very good brew.

KCHopHead, Sep 14, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Batch #4, Canned on 12/22/08

Purchased @ Julio's Liquors, Westborough Mass

Price - $15.99/4-pack

Pours like motor oil and shows it on the glass. Nice.. And it's from a can.

Appearance: Pours pitch black with very little head. Sticks to the glass showing it's thickness.

Smell: Has a boozy smell from the start. Next the chocolate shines through and definate sweetness.

Taste: Ahh, full of delicous flavor. Chewy with chocolate sweetness. Some heat as it warms to room temperature but this is to be expected at 9.5%.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, a real gem.

Drinkability: Treat it with respect. The alcohol can creep up and bite you in the ass if your not careful. Pretty much what you would expect from a quality RIS. Bear in mind this one is sweet, so if your looking for a dessert beer this one's for you.

05Harley, Sep 11, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -9.8%

Can at City Beer Store in SF. A good beer but definitely not a standout for the style.

A - Black color, dark brown head. One of the darkest heads I've seen in a beer.

S - Aroma is roast, coffee, chocolate, and some hops.

T - Roasted malt, coffee, hint of dark fruit, bitter cocoa, and slight metallic notes. Hops really stand out relative to most other imperial stouts. Alcohol noticeable but not too much for the ABV.

M - Smooth on the palate with a full body, but not at all syrupy. A little alcohol warmth.

D - Average-plus for the style.

nickd717, Sep 11, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

12oz can - batch number 546 - canned 12/31/2008, 9.5% ABV - can't believe this was sitting on the shelf in September (Oconomowoc, WI)!! Super excited to find it!

Poured absolutely black and as much as I don't like the analogy, this actually looked like used motor oil coming from an oil can - very cool effect. Head was fairly thin as expected and was milk chocolate in color. Aromas were of burnt and roasted malts, espresso, dark chocolate, and a hint of sweetened anise perhaps. It was instantaneously boozy, but not overly, with full notes of roasted malt, dark bakers chocolate, and bold espresso, with the hops providing a somewhat spicy finish and a prickle on the tongue - a very pleasant dark chocolate taste lingers on in the bittersweet finish as well. At 98 ibu, this is tremendously balanced and the bitterness seems to be more burnt and roasty. Alcohol is present, but well concealed and provides some fruity esters resembling ripened dark fruits. Mouth-feel was absolutely excellent - thick and full bodied - one of the best I've had. Overall, this was better than anticipated and fully enjoyable! EXCELLENT!

barnzy78, Sep 07, 2009