Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 8,498 | Reviews: 2,395

4.25/5  rDev -3%

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

First off I have to thank Aaron for hooking me up with this can as a part of our trade. I was really excited that I got try this one and I am defiantly going to pick this up if I see it during my future travels. The can was relatively fresh with an October canning date. I poured the 120z can into my DFH snifter glass to find a nice deep black body. I was surprised that the head was on the small side and dissipated quickly. The aroma was nice with cocoa, roasted coffee, and a few hints of sweetness with vanilla.

The taste was just exceptional, I was really surprised by this one. Great balance of flavors with the malts, molasses, coffee and chocolate. This one wasn't as hot as I expected it to be with the ABV, it was really on the smooth side.

The mouthfeel was perfect. This one is dangerous because it is very easy to drink and I could easily put down a few in one sitting.

Overall a fantastic beer that is worth the hype and I hope that I can get more in the future.

3.91/5  rDev -10.7%

12 oz. can poured into a goblet.

Appearance - One of the blackest stouts I have ever seen. No light, not even as I poured it, passes through. It fills the glass with a slight chocolate head that dies down to wisps of bubbles and hints of lacing on the glass.

Smell - Roasted malts, sure. Chocolate, coffee. But what I am most surprised about his the light hop aroma. Definite citrus aroma to it that really manages to be stronger than the other aromas.

Taste - Much more stout-like than the aroma. Chocolate and coffee again. Some of the lighter malts come through as toffee and a slight fruitiness, but more of a dark fruit. It's consistently bitter throughout. Perhaps oppressively so.

Mouthfeel - Not as thick as I'd expect. Fairly light bodied for such a big stout. No booze in it, either. The bitterness is a detractor though.

Overall - I have had this a few times and always enjoyed it, but never thought it was as good as the ratings suggest. Definitely a quality and easily obtainable stout, but my money would go to Old Rasputin before this. I also have a few older cans that I'd like to try. I'm hoping the hops will fade a bit to let the malts shine a little more. We'll see.

3.96/5  rDev -9.6%

I poured this 12oz can into a large snifter

Appearance _ Black as can be even after being held up to a bright light. Dark tan head forms after a vigorous pour that dissipates quite quickly leaving a thin head that lingers aroud for a long time.!!!

Smell _ Moderate amount of roasty and expresso coffee notes and underlying dark chocolate. At a 10.5 abv I would expect to smell some alcohol but none here. I found the nose to be a little muted .

Taste _ Crazy smooth I mean I can taste no alcohol and it isn't the least bit hot. There are some enjoyable coffee and subtle coco aftertaste. I would suggest enjoying this one on the warmer side of cold definitely getting better after warming up a bit

Mouthfeel _ A little thiner than I thought it would be but still a full bodied adult beverage. Definitely not stickysweet very enjoyable

Overall : This is a very solid beer and worth repeating. Whith its high alcohol percentage I thought this to be would be a little hot but is very smooth.

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Purchased at my local distributor for $82 and change out the door with the governer's cut.

It's in a can. A fsking can. I can't believe I just paid $80+ for canned 24 pack. Then I think of bar prices. that's 3.25 a can. At the local (dive) watering hole, 3.25 gets you two 8 oz. drafts of Milwaukee's Best Ice and enough left over for a pickled egg. I don't feel so bad now that I have that perspective.

A quick search of uncle google and my bestest pal Beer Advocate told me that I was not crazy for trying this at that price. Since I am a huge fan of the Blackout Stout from the guys up in Great Lakes, I figured with this style/review/points/etc. it would not disappoint.

It doesn't.

A: Poured from the can into a standard wine glass (did I just say that?), it pours thick as all get out and a roasty, highly coffee colored 1 finger head. Speaking of roasty and coffee, the highly roasted character of the beer absorbs light at a rate not unlike a black hole. This beer is DARK. And I am loving that. Settles into a wispy ring that follows it down the glass.

S: No surprise, malty and light wheat almost, there is a very very slight hint of chocolate, ripe cherries?

T: toffee, coffee, roasted malts, and a very slight hint of what my palate says is bitter orange or cherries, almost like eating an orange rind, but mild and toned down a whole lot.

M: At approximately 55 degrees, this is extremely smooth and creamy, warming with boozy qualities. Very smooth, and filling after the gulp. Lingering aroma of roast and taste of stong coffee.

O: This beer is like the Jules Winfield of Stouts. If TenFidy ever got a movie made about it, Sam Jackson himself would play the role of TenFidy: it's that damn smooth but it will assert itself with great vengence and furious anger if you try to destroy too many all in one sitting. I like it much and it would be remiss in not buying it again if I ever spied it on the shelf of my local purveyor of fine beers.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew