Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -16.7%

I'm generally not a big reviewer...too busy drinking these damn things.

I have not read anything on this beer but I picked it up after seeing that it received an "A" rating so with that in mind here goes....

Pours black, I mean friggin dark and a beautiful head on it. Very thick & frothy. Smells great, not overly strong or boozy. I know this is where all the hoity toity reviewers get all "presence of currants and plums with the chocolatey gooey goo filling my proboscis". I can tell you this, I have drank MORE than my fair share of stouts and this one smells like some shit I'm gonna like...REALLY promising.

Flavor:Delicious, really. Thick and creamy in the mouth very nice, thick mouthfeel. It's got all of the great flavor characteristics of thngs like the Bells Expedition and Stone Imperial Stout.

The flavor lasts in your mouth for a loooong time after swallowing this brew. The one thing is it almost tastes "hot" like I thought it may be the alcohol burn which is so strong...not like the other great stouts that I mentioned before so I am not sure.

I did not let it cool enough, probably, as I was really excited to drink this swill as I have never seen it before but had heard it mentioned so maybe that's the alcohol burn as its pretty warm. Did they brew it with chili's? That would be good to know. Things hot though. I guess if you're cold, slam a couple of these and be warmed right up.

Great stout except for that burn at the end. Anyone else get that or am I just a freakin weirdo? I'm knocking off points for that burning my throat dammit. It does leave streaks all over the glass too but all the hoity toity's like that so I won't dock it for that.

I'm gonna go with a B+ as I would drink it again but I'm not gonna drive all over creation looking for it like I did all day today. Maybe the Oskar company will re-imburse me for the gas money I blew driving a friggin Ford F150 all over and gas at $3.10 / gallon. Okay guys go ahead and send me a two six packs of that Dales that I've heard good things about and we'll call it even. Just make sure it doesn't burn my friggin throat though, okay?

Hope this helps. I'm drinking it as I write this to get the "live action" thoughts on this hence the rambling. And yes, this is my first beer of the day so I'm not loaded and reviewing (yet!) I'll see what else I can get in me this evening and maybe do a couple more reviews as I get more and more loaded. Wait until you see how my spelling gets after 6 of these!

Anyway,
Cheers!

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Canned 11/2/09. Bought this a few days ago at Valley Bev in Sherman Oaks.

A-After an agressive pour, a dark khaki, one finger head sits atop motor oil.

S-Dark chocolate, dark fruits, light booze

T-chocolate and dark fruit sweetness dominate, a coffe bitterness on the finish. booze sits forward in the middle, noticeable, but not bossy. my lady describes it as a stout and a port combination. she's not far off.

M-soft, almost no carbonation, thick.

D-a delicious Imperial Stout, aged well. i'd have another, but not in the same sitting.

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

A - Pitch black in color, with a slight brown head that leaves slight lacing as you drink it

S - Chocolate, and slight hint of coffee, and dark roasted malts

T - Nothing crazy in taste but good, chocolatey up front with hints of raisins at the tail end.

M - Creamy and think and not to much carbonation.

D - Very drinkable I would say, great tasting and not to much alcohol.

4.38/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a tulip. Thanks to SalukiAlum for sending me this.

Appearance: Ten Fidy pours a deep mahogany that does not relent, even at the edges. A full, creamy coffee colored head forms on the initial pour, gradually receding to a ring around the glass and an island in the middle. Spots of lace decorate the glass.

Smell: Tons of roasted and chocolate malt. Espresso really helps the aroma along. There is some bitter aroma not attributed to the coffee; maybe light pine or earthy hops.

Taste: There are a ton of great flavors working together here, and it is slightly different than the ultra-roasted RIS. This has the roasted malt, espresso, and chocolate flavors to be sure, but there is also the dark fruit working in the background that adds a nice depth. Alcohol is lightly noticeable, with the finish exhibiting mostly a coffee bitterness. There is a further bitterness here that is tough to identify - light earthy hops and a bit of pine as well. The finish reminds me mostly of coffee.

Mouthfeel: Dark, smooth, and creamy, with barely a noticeable crisp carbonation to keep me honest. Really, just smooth, silky, and enjoyable.

Drinkability: I could tell after the first sip that this was a beer I could drink all night. Well balanced, without going too strongly in any direction, I am glad I have a four pack of this.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Aged this over a year to see what it can do. Consumed many times since but I wanted to review one with a little age on it.

Snifter pour and I am met with a black as night ale and a huge mocha colored foamy head that stays and produces a nice lace on the glass. Bittersweet chocolate, cocoa, roasted malts and charleston chew aroma. Awesome stuff. Chocolate malt taste with dark chocolate on the swallow and a lingering toffee/black coffee on the buds. The mouthfeel is slick...oily and silky. Goes down waaaay smooth. The drinkability is great for a 10.5% though more than two will get you to la-la land pretty quickly.

Great, great stuff. I would encourage aging this as I have tried it numerous times and it definitely gets better with age.

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Canned on 10/25/10

Ten Fidy pours a thick looking black brown with just a touch of brownish amber showing at the edges of the liquid. There is really no head on this beer at all, but the very small ring of foam around the edge is medium tan. Lacing is decent, but nothing special.

The nose is quite sweet, but also full of roasty goodness. There is a pretty big dose of milk chocolate that melds with a more bitter chocolate character and some coffee. Caramel is also quite apparent, as is a bit of vanilla.

The flavor comes through as a bit more roasty, but still possesses plenty of sweetness. The taste starts off like a caramel and chocolate shake and transitions into a coffee spiked with bitter cocoa. It is a pretty unique taste that changes as I let the beer marinade in my mouth before swallowing. Some hop bitterness comes through in the end, but I find it hard to appreciate any sort of hop flavor.

The mouthfeel is definitely in the full zone, but at the same time it does not quite feel chewy like some big stouts. The carbonation is definitely low. It is a bit sticky and coats the palate. The finish is a sort of mix of caramel and coffee notes.

Ten Fidy drinks quite well for its size and strength. I did not detect any alcohol and aside from the thick and coating nature it has, I found this to be very drinkable. It is a little different than your usual imperial stout. This is a beer that I will certainly re-visit.

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

Canned 03/2010, consumed 01/2011. Poured a syrupy black into a tulip with a bit of golden-tinged mocha head that quickly receded. Roasty and somewhat mild aroma of licorice, chocolate malt, molasses, and a bit of sweet fig.

Moderate carbonation offsets and enhances a thick, creamy mouthfeel. Sweet caramel and molasses flavors followed by smooth espresso and dark chocolate. Slightly warm boozy finish with hints of vanilla, smoke, and long-lingering roasty bitterness.

Absolutely delicious and very drinkable; this one is up there with my favorite RIS's.

4.13/5  rDev -5.7%

Imprinted "Canned 10-11-10 Round 3, Ding! Ding!"

A- Opaque black-brown, so opaque that a Surefire L4 Lumamax LED flashlight, throwing 100 lumens of literally blinding intensity, could not cast a single photon of light through this stone wall of sheer darkness from point-blank range. The dark brown, slightly lacy head looks like a chocolate mousse perched upon a black pillar, until it quickly fades to a tiny ring.

S- The aroma is nice, but fairly simple. Rich, dark chocolate, roasted malt, molasses and cafe´au lait. Strong ethanol. But wait... sometimes after a vigorous swirl & sniff, there is a Fir bud/grapefruit blast that escapes from the black dungeon and reaches your olfactory receptors, and says "I'm buried in here!"

T- Big, rich, dense, extracted, super-concentrated flavors of chocolate cake. Chocolate covered raisins, almonds, and espresso beans. Hops bitterness is within balance of the body & sweetness. Thankfully, the roast was rich but without any burnt char, and I greatly welcome that fact. Long, lingering, sweet chocolate finish.

M- Creamy, viscous, velvety, with a tacky feel. Big, opulent, voluptuous feel and structure. Big and bold.

D- The ABV is mostly buried beneath an avalanche of malt and chocolate structure, but became quite apparent only upon hitting the back of the throat, as it teamed with the CO2 & hops bitterness to give a scouring effect. Surprisingly, the massive structure itself posed little limitation to the drinkability - but the touch of heat on the finish might.

And out of a CAN!

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

beer was canned 11/09.

aggressively poured from a can into a snifter.

Appearance: Dark black body. A dark brown head that is bubbly and thick. Oily lacing on side of glass.

Smell: Roasty / smokey, & chocolatey. Earthy hops.

Taste: chocolate and coffee. Great roasty flavor here, not bitter but definitely in your face roasty. Slight hop bitterness also not too much, just right. Hop flavor is earthy and citrusy. Impressed that hops are still present after a year in the can. Smokiness just lingers during the entire taste in the background. As beer warms, it becomes sweeter tasting and more flavorful.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth. Heavy full body. Very nice.

Drinkablility: Very drinkable! Alcohol is well hidden. But, it shows up later and makes its self know when you finish drinking the entire beer.

3.63/5  rDev -17.1%

Reviewed from notes 1/17/11

A: malty, sweet, hint of some kind of dark fruit

Ap: black with 1 finger mocha colored head, oily lacing

B/T: thin, oily, smooth

Af: sweet, molasses, chocolate, coffee

O: not one on my top list of beers to have again, it's thin and has an odd aftertaste. to each their own!

Cheers!
The CPJ

3.28/5  rDev -25.1%

Thanks to Cam, Urbancaver for the taste!

A- Dark black, as if there is any other kind of black. No head what-so-ever.

S- Didn't get a whole lot of smell here. some coffee, and chocolate come through

T- Big roasted, dark malts. Is a little off from what a normal RIS is, but I cant put my finger on it. this beer is Not really for me

M- Smooth and full bodied but it doesn't let you forget about the alcohol.

D- Extremely easy to drink. No alcohol burn.

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours dark as dark can be. Thick, tan head lingers a long, long time. Aroma of dark chocolate, malt and sweetness.

Taste is outstanding. Bitter chocolate and roasted malt, caramel and little molasses sweetness. Great body and mouthfeel that coats the tongue, with a slightly sweet, chocolately finish.

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

I served this at a football watching party, populated by those who drink that unnamed tastless pablum. Most turned their noses up just watching it pour into small sampling cups. I found this brew smooth, complex with chocolate and carmel aftertastes. Not sure I'd drink more than 2 at a sitting, but definitely worth putting on the list when sampling and comparing with Other Imperial Stouts.

4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Pitch black with a dark brown head and high retention. I smell and taste dark chocolate since it has a little sweet kick to it. It goes down smooth with no alcohol burn at the end which can be pretty dangerous with the ABV being 10.5% This is a great stout, if you have a chance to try this try it!

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

From the 12 fl. oz. can. Sampled on January 15, 2011. The pour is a deep,dark black with hints of syrup hues when held to the light. It builds to a two-inch, fluffy brown head that takes its time to settle but never goes away. The aroma is full of chocolate malts and black cherry fruitiness. A nice full body to tease the palate. The taste is magnificent with its soft chocolate maltiness making way to a distant background of hops. Its higher ABV is virtually unnoticed. What a wonderful beer and one of the best I have ever had.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Once you go black, you'll never go back!

Pour- I poured into a pint glass out of the can. The reviews were right, looks like motor oil!

Appearence- Couldn't pour very fast as it was the consistency of motor oil. The head was almost non-existent, but with a few swirls, a tiny, chocolate milkshake-like head appeared and remained. Of all the stouts I've reviewed, they all have had a reddish tint around the edges of the bottom of the glass...NOT THIS BEER!!! Completely black all the way through, and the head looked an orangeish, blood-like color through the glass ( Looked like a chocolate milkshake without looking through the glass). I put my finger in it out of curiosity and had the consistency of a milkshake as well.

Smell- chocolate and maybe molasses. Very sweet aroma.
Taste- syrup. Full bodied all the way across the sky! Again, like I was drinking a milkshake. Heard it referred to like drinking cough syrup. Very fulfilling and enjoyable feel.

Aftertaste- I don't know cuz I'm drunk! Nah, it was very smooth and laced your tongue and throat with a nice chocolate flavor saver.

Conclusion- Toughest looking stout I have ever seen. The Ten Fidy looks like you're getting ready to be beat into a gang. It's a no bullshit stout. It just about stained my pint glass. It turns Guinness into bud light, and makes all other stouts into it's prison bitch. If Old Rasputin is the pretty alpha whore, Ten Fidy is Clint Eastwood.

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

A: The beer is jet black in color and poured with a two finger high dark and creamy mocha-colored head that slowly died down but consistently left a thin head covering the surface.
S: There are aromas of chicory and roasted malts in the nose.
T: The overall taste is quite complex and has flavors of bittersweet chocolate, chicory, cocoa, roasted malts and smoke. There is a mild to moderate amount of bitterness from the initial taste through the finish.
M: It feels medium- to full-bodied, smooth and slightly dry on the palate with a light ot moderate amount of carbonation. It is not viscous or cloying. There is a bit of warming from the alcohol in the finish.
D: The beer definitely tastes like it is strong, but nowhere near 10.5% because the alcohol is well masked.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

canned with care 11-25-09
poured into a snifer

pitch black, as expected from a stout, with a nice brown head about 2 fingers thick, required an aggressive pour as I noticed a major lack of head formation when I was pouring gently. The head dimishes quickly but leaves a nice sticky lacing and a thin layer lingers on top of the beer

smells of roast coffee, chocolate, faint booze, roasted malts.
Nothing unique for the style but very pleasant nonetheless

incredibly smooth, alcohol is not noticeable at all. Roasted flavors + bitter chocolate, strong malt in the back. This beer is serious business. I'm an imperial stout lover and I find this to be an amazing one, well balanced and flavorful but not too complex for its own good: no stray flavors that overpower the others such as what is seen in certain barrel aged stouts (not that I have anything against barrel aged stouts)

Creamy, but not extremely thick/chewy as one might find some stouts to be. Very little carbonation. The low carbonation does not detract from this beer at all, in fact it helps the mouthfeel for this style of beer in my opinion.

Almost too drinkable for its own good at 9.5%. This might be because it's near the end of my night, but I feel that this beer is ridiculously smooth and there is no noticeable alcohol flavor. The flavors are enjoyable and not overpowering.

This is my first review since I joined, and the only reason I wrote it is that i found this beer to be so enjoyable, that I simply HAD to write one.

4.13/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into a 5oz taster.
Thanks to urbancaver for sharing this!

A- Stupid dark, looks elegantly intimidating

S- Didnt get a whole lot in the nose; some roasty, coffee, and chocolate malt grain come through

T- Big, chewy, roasted dark malts; huge presence of bittering hops. Flavor profile is solid yet not complex.

M- Smooth, full bodied and quite imperial

D- Surprisingly drinkable for the ABV, I'm impressed.

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

12 oz can dated 11-29-10 poured into a snifter

A- Black with a one finger dark tan.

S- Rich creamy dark chocolate, roasted malts, coffee, dark fruits. Alcohol is noticeable and hurts the smell.

T- Sweet chocolate malts up and a bitter coffee finish, very well balanced. Very close to the smell. 10.5% ABV is fairly well hidden, but not completely.

M- Thick, smooth, creamy, chewy. When I think Imperial Stout this is what I want the mouthfeel to be.

D- A solid, easy to drink RIS. Don't let the fact that it is in a can foul you into thinking it is a lower quality beer, it's not. I will get this again when I am looking for a chocolate flavored stout.

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

Fantastic brew. Never poured such a dark beer from a can ... the comment that it "looks like motor oil" takes on a very relevant meaning!
There's a slight nutty taste, and a pleasant sweetness with a slight hop bite. My slight ding on "appearance" stems from the imprint of the "Ball" logo on the can.

4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Found out they were serving this badboy at WoB in Orlando and I had to go sample it for myself. Served to me in a snifter; I let it sit for a while before I started to attack it.

Appears an extremely thick, jet black mixture. It's appearance and texture is similar to frozen Jagermeister, or the commonly suggested motor oil. Had a very dark brown head; unlike something I have never seen in a beer. Super, super excited.

Smells of roasted malts, fantastic burnt chocolates, fruits, and figs. In all regards, I'm salivating at this point to just get my nose into the glass.

Wow, this is almost like a beer milkshake. It's extremely chewy texture makes this the thickest beer I've had to date. Seems to be mostly devoid of carbonation; but that's not a complaint! It adds to the character of the beer; the taste isn't too strong, but it is very far from weak. It's syrupy consistency tastes of malts, roasted grains, bitter chocolate, and hints of cherry.

Overall, for how thick it is, this is an extremely drinkable beer. For those who aren't fond of the thickest of beers, I'd advise to steer clear, because this syrupy monster almost needs to be cut with a knife. Overall an extremely fabulous beer. Oskar Blues never ceases to amaze me!

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance. pitch black... Pours like motor oil. Sme dark brown head.

Smell- some roasted malts and coffee smells. Smells a bit boozy

Taste- coffee, roasted malts, a bit of bitterness from the roasted malts

Mouthfeel- very thick, almost syrupy but not sweet. A very clean and great feeling beer

Drinkability- i would never know it was 10.5 percent. Very drinkable

3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

This beer is like a milkshake in a beer can. What I mean is that it is very drinkable as far as the 10.5 ABV, but after you finish one it feels like you just drank a milkshake especially if you had any food at all with it. I do like this beer a lot, but after having it a few times whether it is out of a can on tap or from a growler, I highly recommend someone just having this for the night and sipping it to truly enjoy what this beer has to offer. I also wish it was slightly more affordable than $14.99 per 4 pack.

4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a pitch-black and opaque color, very thick and motor-oily, with a small brown head, very creamy, great lacing.
Aroma is roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruit and booze.
Taste starts with lots of roasted malts and then chocolate, coffee and dark fruits. Lots of hop bitterness then kick in to finish. I also get a roasted/smoky note.
Mouthfeel is very thick and syrupy and body is heavy with moderate carbonation.
Great RIS from OB, very worth trying and seeking it out.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew