Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours an extremely thick black color with a 1 inch super dark khaki head that fades to an oily cap on the top of the beer. Chunky dark khaki streaks of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smells of dark roasted malt, cocoa powder, and dark fruits. Taste is of dark roasted malt, dark cocoa powder, dark fruits, and slight coffee on the finish. Very little bitterness on the palate after each sip. Mouthfeel is extremely thick and creamy. Probably one of the thickest beers I have ever had. Overall, this is an awesome RIS and my favorite beer from Oskar Blues.

2.93/5  rDev -33.1%

12oz can -> Cigar City Snifter.
Canned on 10/9/2010
"Who does #2 work for?"

A-> Jet black, viscous oil that looks thick and syrup-like in texture. Very thin wispy. film of a head appears briefly but very quickly disappears.

S-> Whoa! Bitter Baking Chocolate dominates first and foremost. Smoky and robust malt aromas are also present. Some sinus-clearing booze is also detected.

T-> VERY BITTER, like unpleasantly so for the first few sips before my palate adjusted. The bitter bitter baking chocolate taste dominates through the middle where finally a toasted grain and smoky malt flavor becomes apparent and finally finishes with a tiny bit of hops and sweet, metallic-esque taste on the back end. (Full disclosure: This beer did improve significantly for my taste after it had warmed and I had consumed about half the can...Also got some molasses as this warmed)

M-> Would have liked just a scootch more carbonation but otherwise this is a full bodied brew that finishes. Maybe that would have helped or hindered the astringent-like feel I got from the alcohol, who knows....

O-> Overall, I'm really not sure why this beer garners so much of the praise it receives. Maybe it is better fresh? Or with more age on it? Not sure. What I am sure of is that this was far too bitter for my liking and way too overdone on the chocolate. I didn't get any of the coffee notes others were finding. I wanted to like this, I really did as I enjoy Imperial Stouts quite bit...I just couldn't force myself to enjoy it....it got a little less harsh on the bitter chocolate as it warmed but then the booze just took the reigns from there. Either something was up with my can or I just don't care for this brew. Different folks have different tastes and I just don't share others infatuation with this beer...I can think of a handful of RISs that I would rather have for less dough. I will have to revisit this in the next winter but for the absolutely absurd price I really don't feel compelled to do so...

3.46/5  rDev -21%

A. Pours and looks like used motor oil, I mean that in a good way. Major head like my wife on spanish fly!

S. Smells like metal, but in all fairness all stouts smell like that to me, not necessarily a negative thing.

T. Very rich and chocolatey with an almost cooking chocolate like taste/bitterness.

M. Chewy almost bitey consistency like chewing on a dark bread!

Overall. Pretty good above average stout, not sure if its worth the price point but I am not a large fan of stouts.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Poured from a 12oz can into a nonic.

This is black. Blacker than the blackest black times infinity. Hold this right up to a lightbulb. Nothing shines through at all. The head is very very dark colored, but it's fairly thin and minimal. That's alright though because this is black. Viscous. Looks like it's deadly serious. The aroma is probably the weakest part of this beer. I'm having a hard time coaxing a big aroma out of this, there's some chocolate and matiness, but not too much more. The taste is absolutely sublime. Smooth dark chocolate gives way to some dark fruit and just a touch of a hop kick. Vanilla and absolutely perfect roasted malts finish this off. Just fantastic.

The mouthfeel is extremely thick and full bodied, with a light, yet noticeable amount of carbonation.. Absolutely perfect for the style. The drinkability is absurd for the ABV, this goes down way easier than the 10.50% on the can claims. A superlative RIS from Oskar Blues. Seriously. Drink this. It's so good.

4.73/5  rDev +8%

Mmm, TenFIDY. I've been looking forward to reviewing this one for a long time now.

TenFIDY pours into a pint glass like spent ninety-weight oil. The pitch black beer gives a thick, chocolate brown head that lasts for just a minute or so before declining to a thin khaki cap of lace.

This beer smells very sweet, with a toffee-like aroma; big pumpernickel, smoke, and bitter chocolate notes.

TenFIDY sips like a big heavy glass of toasted grains and syrup finishing up with a taste rather like fresh biscuits. It's incredibly sweet--much more so than I was expecting. This isn't one of the sharply bitter imperial stouts with the emphasis placed on the charred barley; this brew has a softer side. Full-bodied. The epitome of a big, thick stout.

3.86/5  rDev -11.9%

Ten Fidy: Another thanks to nightwing002 for the trade!
BOD: 11/17/10

Pours a rusted mahoghany and settles jet metal black. A fingers worth of burnt caramel head sits for a short while. The edges leave very little light to pass through. Spotty lacing clings throughout.

The nose brings a lot of milk chocolate that has a bittering end to it. Roasted malts and a presence of alcohol are also noted.

The taste is interesting. The roasty malts bloom but an annoying metallic taste lingers. There is a light hop presence. As it warms, the flavors intensify.

The mouthfeel is very full bodied and sits like an anvil. Creamy feel with good carbonation.

Overall, pretty good impy stout but that metal taste was a bit off-putting. I would like to try this fresh to see if there is a difference.

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Canned November 2009.

A: Dark black with dark brown head with nice lacing.

S: Roasted malt, chocolate, some hop presence

T: This is where this beer shines. Lots of chocolate, malt, some vanilla and soy sauce, good hop finish to balance the malt bomb

M: Coating, almost creamy carbonation. Nice.

O/D: Easy to drink for it's ABV. Great in oatmeal when backpacking.

4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

Gotta love all the canned beer, finally scrounged up the near 16 bucks(with tax) for a four pack. Poured into my Jester King snifter.

Pours like motor oil, jet black with a decently thick orange head, moderate retention, not much in the way of lace.

Thick coffee, chocolate and licorice aromas, bits of toffee and caramel are there too

Kinda sweet at first with the toffee and chocolate flavors but the roasted flavors come in very strong right after, the roasted coffee like bitterness is a great complement to the initial sweetness, bit of a metallic tinge on the finish.

Smooth, almost creamy and from a can or a bottle I consider that to be quite the feat. Carbonation was adequate, not sure I could have more than one in an evening.

Overall, I like it, wouldn't pay for another 4 pack but I like alot... Also I loved the can, just saying...

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

A straight-up donation from viggo. I owe you one!

Canned October 12, 2010. One of the more viscous looking pours I've ever seen; this stuff pours like melted dark chocolate. You can't even see through it with an inch left in the glass, it's pitch black. An evil dark-mocha head rises up an inch for a minute before fading to a thin cover and leaving some spotty lacing. I love to see such a dark head on an imperial stout, always a good sign.

Smells like a huge malt bomb: malted milk balls, dark sticky caramel and charred bread with salty minerals, earthy hops, alcohol.

Almost anything you'd want to find in an imperial stout is here in fine form: smoke, oak, bourbon, molasses, 85% dark chocolate, a hint of espresso, vanilla bean, estery over-ripe stone fruit. Some alcohol through the middle, though it's not at all out of place amongst everything going on here. Drying soily hops and cocoa on the finish. Not overly sweet nor overly bitter. Very well-balanced and accessible in spite of the intense amount of flavour.

Nice thick, substantial body. Very low carbonation. Great feel, though maybe I'd like the tiniest bit more carbonation (to be extremely picky).

Quite possibly the best beer I've ever had out of a can (with Surly Furious as the competition). If I were to dream up an imperial stout with all my favourite elements, I don't think it would end up too far off what Ten Fidy tastes like. Wish I had easier access to this, I'll be buying a bunch of this next chance I get. Thanks a ton viggo!

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours from the 12 oz. can a thick, dark viscous black (yes, just like used motor oil) with minimal tan head that quickly fades into a light collar. I'm holding it up to the brightest lamp in the room, and absolutely NONE of the light penetrates this beer! Aroma is surprisingly faint, but has hints of unsweetened dark chocolate & black coffee. 1st sip is surprisingly sweet...more dark chocolate, black coffee, malt roasted almost to the point of being "burnt", and a slight hint of smoke. On the swallow, there is a bitterness of alcohol and the the dark chocolate/coffee notes with a hint of hops. Mouthfeel is smooth, silky, and thick...the consistency of syrup or honey. Overall? Two words...simply amazing! This is the best beer I have ever had up to this point, and I want more!!!

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a Can into a 12 oz snifter - from 2010

A - possibly the most gorgeous imperial stout I have seen. The head color in particular is incredible with a kind of dark chocolate brown that resembles ice cream. The body is as black as ink.

S - I think if there was a weak point on this beer, this is it. I really dont get a whole lot on the nose other than alcohol and dark fruit, presumably from the yeast. I dont smell the chocolate or roastiness that some people mention
EDIT- as this warms up I start to get the chocolatiness out of the nose. Still, Alcohol and Dark fruits dominate the scene.

T - BOOM! incredible smoothness, can only be described as velvet, as the taste of chocolate, both milk and dark, and some mild roasty bitterness coat your mouth. Wow, just.... wow.

M - As stated before, velvet is the only way to describe it. It is the balance and smoothness that make this beer one of the bests in terms of imperial stouts. amazing

Notes- This thing assaulted my taste buds. holy crap. The stickiness, which is something I love in a stout, sticks around forever. This being in a can, It will be interesting to see how this ages. Will be holding on the other 3 of the 4 pack for a good long while. although, not drinking them will be a challenge....

4.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had this on tap at Frisco Taphouse last night for happy hour. I've long been a fan of OB and their stellar craft cans.

A - Pours pitch black with a thin dark tan head. There isn't much lacing to speak of and the head quickly leaves.

S - Heavy coffee aromas, tart cherries, dark chocolate.

T - The front mimics the aroma with coffee notes, tart cherries, dark chocolate. Feels deliciously tart and sour in the middle to the back of the throat. Finishes very clean with a quick aftertaste.

M - Medium in body. Not a hint of the alcohol.

O - Excellent flavorful and complex RIS. If you like sweet strong stouts It doesn't get much better than this in my opinion. Priced at about $8 a pour at Frisco its not an everyday beer. I may have to go our an buy some cans of this to keep around. It's too good to ignore.

3.24/5  rDev -26%

Canned on January 11, 2011.

A: Black. An aggressive pour creates about a finger's worth of dark brown head that lasts for a minute or two. The lacing is quite prominent for the style. This is what an imperial stout should look like.

S: Sweet miso, roast, dark fruit, and booze. I found the miso a bit too prominent.

T: Tamari, blackstrap molasses, some chocolate and roast. Some dark fruit. And booze, of course, but not as prominent as I expected from the smell. I found the tamari and sweetness overwhelming and would have preferred more hop bitterness to balance the sweetness.

M: Smooth and creamy. It's definitely thick, but it doesn't feel anywhere near as syrupy as it looks.

O: This beer has a great appearance and mouthfeel. The unbalanced sweetness and the tamari put me off. I occasionally pick up miso/tamari/soy sauce in roasty imperial stouts, but this was way too much. [On a later occasion, I sniffed some actual soy sauce while drinking the beer, and that helped me break the soy sauce association somewhat. It didn't help me enjoy the beer any more, though.]

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

We pour an oily thick brew as dark as midnight. It holds a transient dark brown colored head of half a finger, which recedes into a thick ring and swirl about the top of the glass. With a harder pour thick bubbles populate the head, and eventually segregate to the glass’ sides. Some lacing is left as they go. No sediment is noted, and carbonation looks slow, due to the thickness, but active. The nose fills with deeply roasted malts swimming in a pool of fusel booze. It is highlighted throughout by a sticky sweetness, with dried prunes, molasses, brown sugar, and the faintest banana esters all contributing. As we sip, sweet alcohols burn off the front to reveal a heavy roasted malt profile. Hiding within are those dark fruits from the nose, appearing as cherry and ground cherry pits. Sugary sweetness pulls through the middle, calming down the booze momentarily. Some of the other flavoring shines through briefly, with more dark malts, and even some roasty coffee coming out. We finish cleanly, with slightly metallic and chalky malts, and a strong alcohol character. The aftertaste breathes simply, and quite mildly, with burnt grain, and more of that high abv and fruit from the beginning. The body is full, and the carbonation is medium. Each sip arrives with generous froth and creaminess, and a slickness that coats the mouth in full. Slurpability is way up there, and the mouth is left a bit sticky, of sugar, and dried. The abv is high, and warms nicely, but is within range. While the booze is obvious and stark, this one is very drinkable.

Overall, what we found most enjoyable about this brew was the aroma and the general drinkability. A common theme throughout this tasting was that this beer is highly boozy. They don’t try to hide this point, but rather play to it. In the aroma the fusels are well integrated into the heavy, dark malts, while in the taste, there is enough push from the background to keep it from being unmanageable. Each sip brings a stickiness to the lips, with generous coating throughout the mouth. All of these characteristics help to bring the beer to its full potential, and make it greatly enjoyable all around.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

A: The pour from the can into the my DFH signature glass looked very thick and oily. It poured incredibly black, completely opaque. A one finger mocha head formed and reduced to a small layer of foam on top. Great lacing for style.

S: Nice dark chocolate upfront and some roasted coffee midway through. There is some molasses, caramel, and a little bit of mocha.

T: Upfront there is a combination of chocolate and coffee. Some roasted malt and a little bit of hops in the midpalate. Hints of tobacco and vanilla as well. There is an extremely bitter finish.

M: Full bodied with good carbonation, drinks very thick. Despite its thickness, it is still rather silky smooth.

O: Pretty good, not the best I have had, but very good. The flavors blend quite nicely, if the finish was a little less bitter it would be spot on.

4.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours very dark out of the can, almost black and is black in my glass. Medium mocha chocolate colored head with medium retention and that leaves relatively no lacing.

S- Real smoky, reminds me of camping. some chocolate and coffee like roast in there but the smoke is prominent.

T- Much like the nose. Very smoky through out with a slight dark fruit hint up front. Chocolate and coffee in the middle thats followed by smoky coffee into the finish. sweeter tastes linger

M- heavy on the tongue with little carbonation. Very smooth.

O- Really like this beer. Its a nice stout and the smokiness is refreshing.

3.97/5  rDev -9.4%

12oz can in New Belgium tulip
canned on 10/30/09

A: Completely black with a thick dark tan head that drops to a film very quickly.
S: A little sweet and very roasty with a hint of chocolate.
T: Very roasty, some hop bitterness as it warms. There is some definite chocolate along with some burnt notes (maybe black patent malt). A little bit of dark caramel sweetness. There is only a slight hint of alcohol warmth, somewhat surprising given the 9.5%
M: Creamy, rich, a medium low level of carbonation, all combine for a sippin beer that goes down very smooth.
D: An excellent example of a RIS, goes down smooth, a great dessert beer and a something that would be perfect in front of a campfire. Highly recommended.

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Just moving some stuff around here, Review # 1050.

Poured from a 12oz can into a snifter. this can was bought over a year ago so it may have been from one of the 1st "canings" of this brew. no date present on the can.

A- Cracking open the black can came a black liquid that was thick as thieves. A aggressive pour lead to a nice 1 1/2 finger brownish head that looks creamy. a lot of bubbles are seen throughout the head. a good amount of lacing as well. very beautiful.

S- I smell a lot of chocolate and some tootsie roll goodness. It's followed by coffee, a little caramel, and a twinge of alcohol. Malts are also present. A very nice full aroma consistent with the RIS style. the smell tells me i'm in for a treat.

T- Wowsers, flavor overload. I get a bunch of dark chocolates and black coffee with roasted/smoked malts that add some bitterness as i sip more. As ten fidy warms the chocolate comes out even more and some licorice makes a cameo appearance. Alcohol is only slightly present.

M- TF goes down pretty smooth and has a medium body. not as thick/thin as some RIS i've had so the feel is almost perfect.

D- Yummy yummy yummy, i have ten fidy in tummy, and i feel like drinking two!!! This is not a session beer but once i'm done one, i want another. A perfect sipper but i can't help to drink this fast.

I'm going to have to get a fresh can and compare the batches cause i read that some changes were made.

APPEARANCE: A friend of mine performed an experiment with Ten FIDY where she took a pint into a completely dark room and had her son hold a high-powered flashlight directly behind the glass. According to her, absolutely no light was able to pass through this beer. Not surprising. You'll have better luck seeing a firefly through concrete. This beer is dark as pitch. There's about one finger of a light cocoa head.

SMELL: Fantastic aroma! There's the smell of oaty, freshly-baked bread combined with espresso and dark chocolate. I pick up an undertone of dark fruits with an alcohol tang (note the ABV above).

MOUTHFEEL: Slick and velvety! This very full-bodied, nearly viscous stout feels incredibly rich on the tongue. Low carbonation translates into a very smooth, drinkable stout.

TASTE: This stout opens up in the mouth with a huge, balanced taste of both dark chocolate and coffee. There's a lot of toasty dark malts, and under that tones of caramel and molasses.

DRINKABILITY: For such a huge, viscous stout, this is a surprisingly drinkable beer. Granted, I have a high tolerance for stouts, but I could drink several pints (or cans) of this stuff. It's hard to improve on this one.

VERDICT: Hands down, this is one of my all-time favorite imperial stouts. I'm a HUGE fan of this brewery and Ten FIDY is my favorite from them. That said, don't ignore their other brews. All good stuff!

Cheers,
John Harvey
Dirtybeerguy.com

4.14/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

sweet sweet Jesus..2006 on tap at The Gate. Beautiful. Some sweet roastiness in full midnight. The bitterness of the brew is still solid, all flavor hops faded totally removed. Some chocolate and coffee behind the roasty bitter. Very good with this age on it. The bitterness finally balances the rest of the beer out. The more recent batches seem to have been way too heavy on the roast but this one is right on.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Can into a snifter
A - The pour almost defines motor oil and it appears blacker than black. There is a very creamy tan head on this beer with a decent amount of lacing.
S - Very awesome note. There are roasted malt sugars, there are roasted oats, wheats, and grains. Then there is the deep dark chocolate mixed with coffee and roasted espresso notes. The thing that balances it out is the dark fruit notes that are mixed with the sugars. A good complex and deep nose.
T & M - A very very smooth stout that is dominated by the nose in taste. The coffee, malt, chocolate, and roasted grains come through in all phases. I am a big fan of the cherry and chocolate flavors mixing in the palate. The beer is not very carbonated, but it is smooth and it is heavy on the palate.
O - A great beer. Awesome to have some canned craft with such character and I cannot wait till my other cans get some age on them. Great stout from oskar blues.

-Cheers

4.48/5  rDev +2.3%

S: Toasted dark bread, touch of soy sauce, roasted coffee, raisin bread, perfumy vanilla.

L: Jet black, dense tan head with good retention and great lacing.

T: Dark and milk chocolate off the bat with a rich breadiness. Medium-low bitterness leads to more milk and dark chocolate sweetness. Finishes with some vanilla and more raisin bread with a touch of roastiness. Fairly sweet finish with some fudge.

M: Medium full body, very creamy, low carbonation.

The very definition of a dessert beer, very sweet, chocolately, creamy and even some booze to warm the stomach. Love it.

4.65/5  rDev +6.2%

Two fingers of frothy milk chocolate head sit on top of this monstrous goopy jet black body, receding slowly and leaving dots of lace behind. This is a fantastic looking imperial stout.

So rich and so complex in the nose. I get heavily roasted malts, sweet burnt granola, very dry dark chocolate, alcohol soaked cherries, overly ripe plums, and hints of coffee beans. Well rounded and incredibly inviting.

Slick and smooth sweet milk chocolate glides across the palate alongside a pleasantly roasted malt character. Sweet dark fruits peak through about midway in at the front of the tongue and remain there for some time. Burnt sugar cane comes through just before a perfectly rendered dry and unoffensively bitter smokey and roasted malt finish.

The mouthfeel is an experience in itself. Full bodied, frothy, and velvety smooth. Well balanced seems to be an understatement. It's scary how easy this beer is to drink with next to no trace of the high ABV. If I could give higher than a 5 for this category, I would.

I had high expectations for my first time trying this and they were easily exceeded. This is by far one of the if not the best RIS I've ever had. It doesn't destroy your palate with gigantic, mouth puckering notes of one thing or another. Instead, it's extremely well balanced through and through while still being incredibly flavourful. I'll have no problem buying this again, and again, and again.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a motor oil black out of the can. Milk chocolate brown colored head which quickly gives way. Aroma of coco beans, dark cherry and roasted marshmallow. Flavor is outstanding. Dark cherries, coffee beans and the slightest hint of crisp hops to start. Beer quickly moves onto huge rushes of roasted chocolate, cream and marshmallow. Molasses as it warms. Thick creamy mouthfeel. Excellent, drinkable RIS. Alcohol is dangerously hidden.

4.46/5  rDev +1.8%

Look:
Well, it's black. No highlights of red or hints of brown. Just black with a brown head.

Smell:
Dark fruits, mainly berries and dark chocolate. Undertones of roasted grains.

Taste:
The roasted flavors really stand out here. Toast, burnt malts, dark fruit, rich dark chocolate, and creamy espresso. Behind all of that lies hints of caramel, brown sugar, vanilla and a solid floral hop presence to pack it all together.

Feel:
No room for improvement here, its excellent. Creamy with a frothy carbonation that keeps the beer from feeling like milk.

This RIS leans more toward the dark fruit side than dark chocolate, but there's plenty of both. Overwhelming amounts of flavor as you'd expect from the style. Highly roasted and the high ABV is well masked.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew