Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. black-and-silver can into a snifter glass. Alcohol content as stated on the can is 9.5% by volume.

Never before has an imperial stout looked so much like oil as it is poured into the glass, and the can truly adds to the effect. Super thick, viscous, and opaque, giving off a tiny and brief ring of milk chocolate brown bubbles.

A wonderful dessert-like nose of milk and dark chocolate, espresso, figs, and cherries beckons one to dive into the darkness.

A thick, fat body wraps itself around the tongue, imparting flavors of bittersweet dark chocolate, roasted coffee, licorice, dark fruits, bitter hops and a touch of alcohol. As it sweeps the palate and goes down, an incredible dryness saps the tongue and a rich, heavy sweetness lingers on the back of the tongue for a long while afterward.

An incredible imperial stout, worthy of being ranked up there with the best. I'm not sure if the can imparts any particular characteristics that serve to make this such an amazing brew; it would be nice to be able to sample a bottled or draft version so as to make a comparison. The can isn't hurting anything, though, and if anything it adds to the allure of this blacker-than-night beer.

superdedooperboy, Feb 20, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance- Dark black with a beautifully thinning foam head of a tan color, this is motor oil black no light coming through this sucker

Smell- strong coffee smells, dark roasted malts, almonds, and sweet burnt malts and dark chocolate

Taste- Coffee or espresso notes jump out at you, lots of dark tasty malts for sure, and again a bit of chocolate, a very good flavored stout

Mouthfeel- thick syrupy good brew, definitely heavy full bodied beer

Drinkability- A strong beer that pours very nicely out of the can and a not over whelming of alcohol beer considering how strong, a good well balanced stout worth checking out and getting again if you can get hold of these hard to find gems

Stunner97, Feb 20, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a motor oil black. Very oily looking. No head at all but some lacing down the glass. It could have been because it was in my regular fridge and was a little colder than it was suppose to be.

Smell is wonderful. With alot of burnt coffee and bitter chocolate. I smell a bit of Burbon too maybe.

It starts with a viscouse semi sweet taste in your mouth. The carbonation hits and then finishes with bitter coffee and chocolate I'm the center and back of your tongue. Very tasty.

I wish the mouthfeel was a little more viscous and a little higher on the carbonation.

Drinkability is great and I will buy 4 packs of this for as long as I can.

PeprSprYoFace, Feb 20, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

DrewOSU shared this with me tonight. I've had it before, but never reviewed it - so here it goes...

Thanks for the share, Andrew!

Poured into my over-sized cab glass like straight-up motor oil. Blackness with no hope of any light coming through. Very little head on both pours (mine or DrewOSU's). What small head I did get was dark brown and left impressive lacing.

Big and powerful nose with super heavily roasted/burnt coffee followed vanilla, sweet, chewy malts and hints of sweet cherry.

High viscosity with great carbonation out of the gates. Full flavored blast of rich coffees all around. This is a big beer with great flavor. After the initial wave of coffee, I get some sweet malts and light smokiness or char flavor as you would look for in a RIS. As the beer hits my tongue, it's like a blanket of wet, coffee and chocolate goodness. The finish on this beer is slightly vegetal, likely due to it's high, but hidden hops presence.

This is an amazingly enjoyable beer. Recommended if you're a Russian Imperial Stout fan!

beachbum1975, Feb 20, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%

I didn't think this was available in my area, but I hopped over to Wisconsin (a much more beer friendly state than MN, in my opinion) and found it at good old Ciccones.
Were it not for the Surly brews, I never would have thought a beer from a can could taste good. That said, given what I'd heard about this one, I was ready for a good stout.
I was not disappointed. I poured it into my pint glass, and it was jet black, with a nice, short tan head.
Smells of roasted malts, coffee, with a hint of caramel. In other words, good.
I don't know what it was, but the first taste was not great. Initially it was fine, but I was hit by a most unpleasant aftertaste- something akin to a bad woman, if you know what I mean. And so, naturally, I was a bit worried. But alas, I never got that unpleasant aftertaste again.
The taste was akin to the smell- roasted malts, coffee, toffee, and a pleasant woman aftertaste.
Oh the mouthfeel is fine- slightly oily, with the right amount of carbonation for a stout.
And it's very drinkable for an ABV of 10%, to be sure. I'm feeling warm and fuzzy, but ready for another.
Even thought I cringe when I hear some wangster pronounce fifty as "fidy", I thoroughly enjoyed this stout, and will thoroughly enjoy the other three, so long as the woman in it remains clean.

WilliamD, Feb 20, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks kiefdog for the share. I can't believe that a world class beer comes out of a can. Dad gum it Osker Blues! It pours motor oil black with a dark brown head. Nose is roasted malt, alcohol burn, coffee, some coffee, slight licorice flavor, and dark fruit. A ton of yellow lace lines the glass when you swirl. Flavor is velvety smooth- very light on carbonation- with lots of ripe dark fruit, sweet chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee bitterness. Starts sweet, and finishes with coffee bitterness. Slight bourbony alcohol flavor throughout. Thoroughly enjoyable beer! If it spilled I would lick it off of almost any floor.

markwise, Feb 18, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Can was labeled at 9.5% ABV, not the 10% shown here.

Pours an opaque black. No light gets through, even at the edges. Head is very thin, light brown, and comprised of small bubbles densely packed. This is about as dark as it gets.

Smell is of chocolate, dark roast coffee, and licorice. Not very strong, but not surprising, given the style.

Taste is of raisins, bitter chocolate, and a hint of licorice at the finish. Mouthfeel starts fairly balanced, the finish is slightly astringent.

The high ABV and acidity of this beer would make it hard to drink much, but I wouldn't mind a second can.

Probably the first canned beer I've enjoyed.

waldowin, Feb 18, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to kurtissellen and everetends for throwing this beer into a trade, this beer is about 8 months old

A: Wow, fantastic, this is what a big stout is supposed to look like inky black with a dark stained mocha wood foamy head that is rich and creamy.

S: The aroma isn't strong or long lasting but starts out with strong coffee aroma there is even a little bit of chocolate in the nose but this is all somewhat subdued and subtle

T: Very smooth and creamy. there is a roasted coffee bean taste that adds to a biting bitterness that doesn't linger on the tongue too significantly and then is backed by a malty burnt taste. the bitterness does overwhelm any particular sweetness the beer might have. this is very good

M/D: this is a very smooth delicious IRS its thicker and more potent than a lot of supposed stouts, but isn't overwhelming so very good.

Redwood21, Feb 17, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours out a pitch black with huge brown head that laces well. Smells of roasted malts, chocolate, coffe, and a sweetness makes this stout very inviting. The taste is huge, yet fairly well balanced. Big roasted malts, almost a barley wine type taste in there nice hops help round out the huge malt backbone on this one. Molasses, coffee, chocolate, burnt bitterness, well crafted brew here. Very smooth, creamy mouthfeel with nice light carbonation makes this extremely drinkable. One of my favorite RIS, must have again and again.

abents, Feb 17, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Black. No light can be seen, not even around the edges when held up to a light. Caramel colored head that lasts a bit.

S: Hints of sweet coffee, some cereal like grain too.

T: Strong taste of coffee, some chocolate and caramel. Finishes like bitter chocolate that lingers a bit. A LITTLE bit of a kick at the end.

M: Creamy and smooth. I could use a little more carbonation.

D: It's a 10% beer, how drinkable can it be? Actually, it's pretty drinkable for it's type.

leif86, Feb 17, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Poured BLACK. with a nice redish brown head that did dissipate to a thin haze.

S: When I poured it I smelled it 2 feet away. A lot of sweet malts, coffee and a sweeter chocolate. Very nice!

T: A little more bitter than I like right off the bat, but mellows out really nice to a chocolatey like flavor that coats your whole mouth.

M: The bitterness I mentioned is present but not bad. Finishes just great!

D: If I didn't know this was a 10%er I would find it really easy to drink a couple of these. Well done Oskar Blues!

madtowndmb1, Feb 17, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -22.8%

On tap. Dark black with a brown head. Lookin good. Really not that much inthe nose. Roasty. Sweet, caramel. Sweeet flavor, almost cloyingly syrupy. Tasty though. Slick mouthfeel. Smooth amd lush. Overall decent, strong. I feel overated; other neers of the style are much more drinkable.

AChamberlain, Feb 16, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ten FIDY is a pitch black ale with a dense, caramel brown head that has excellent retention and really makes a mess of the glass. It has a resiny, roasty, chocolate-licorice aroma. It smells a touch sweet like molasses. It is heavy and smooth. The finish is clean and very dry. It tastes very roasted, like medium roast coffee, but it doesn't get too astringent. Once again, there are notes of chocolate and licorice. It is well balanced and action packed. The aftertaste is like sweet resin. It's a formidable beer.

yesyouam, Feb 16, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Black topped with a creamy, tan head. Even when held up to a lamp, not light gets through. Beautiful lacing remains behind at each sip.

Smell and taste have a roasted focus. Very thick mouthfeel. Sweet but well-balanced. Great all-around imperial stout.

A delicious meal in a can.

kdmorse, Feb 16, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

This pours black, with a good head at first, but dissipates quickly, with not much lace retention.

Smells of dark chocolate, cherries, and earth.

A fruity sourness at first then chocolate, espresso, cream, cherries, blueberries, a little pepperiness. Quite delightful, with an interesting complexity.

Low carbonation and syrupy. This delights the palate with sour and sweet sensations, but with a creaminess that unites the two.

A very drinkable brew and a knockout for a canned stout.

Beerenauslese, Feb 15, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -3%

Poured into a snifter. I contacted the brewery and was told it was canned in late 07/early 08.

A - It was hilarious and awesome seeing an RIS come out of a can. Really, really thick. Poured a thin, dark brown head that faded quick. My girlfriend watched and claimed it was the blackest drink she'd ever seen.

S - I opened this on the counter, and literally as soon as I cracked it, I could smell it from a couple feet away. It has a huuuge aroma. There's an enormous chocolate/roasted malt presence that just really dominates here.

T - I took my first sip and thought to myself, "This is why I love RISs." The great chocolate/roasty smell comes through so well. There's some brown sugar in here as well, which I've never seen had come through so much in an RIS. There's a really slight hint of alcohol, which I was surprised at considering the age on it(this is my first aged RIS). Really roasty finish.

MF - Thick. The thickest RIS I've ever had, and I like it. Leaves a lot of coating. There's a sharpness from the alcohol. Average carbonation for the style. I love the thickness of it, but I wish it were more smooth in this department.

D - It's just huge on flavor and feel. I can't imagine drinking more than one, but a lot of RISs are that way for me, so it fits my idea of the style. It would almost feel like stealing to get this at less than $3 for a single can(granted, I'd be more than happy to oblige), so it was worth it. I'm giving it a 4 because while I wouldn't drink more than one, it's certainly one of the best RISs I've had.

HitokiriNate85, Feb 15, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours like motor oil, to use a style-cliche, thick and black. Forced pour encourages a small tan head that dissipates quickly. Solid retention on a tip of the glass. Nose is filled with dark, rich roasted malt, followed by a strong smokeyness. Love this aroma. Palate is surprisingly light on the front end and the sweetness of the malt comes through closer to the finish. Great roasted malt, but a bit light in the front of the palate, and a bit one-note. Mayeb a tocuh too sweet, could use some more hop character to cut it. A tingling effervescence is somewhat troubling. It isn't a strong carbonation, but fairly persistent. I'd prefer a touch less. Still very creamy and silky. Alcohol is well hidden behind the roasty malt goodness. A very good rendition of an imperial stout, and certainly the best I've had out of a can, but not in the upper echelon of the style in this reviewer's opinion.

TheDoorman, Feb 15, 2009
4.38/5  rDev 0%

Deep dark motor oil black with a thick & frothy less than 1 finger deep tan colored head. Looks like melted dark chocolate. Not a trace of light can penetrate the darkness. Looks awesome & ominous.
Yes, a 5 for appearance.

Aroma is of sweet dark malts, cocoa powder, dark fruit, plum, date, fig, raisin, faint roasted coffee, hop bitterness. A world of aroma going on here. I'm pleased so far, bummed I only have one of these.

Big roasty flavors, coffee, chocolate, warming booziness, dark fruitiness, licorice, lingering roastiness. Nice.

Thick, not syrupy, chewy, thick, FULL bodied, low carbonation, thick, creamy, filling like a meal.

This is a big ass imperial stout. Very happy with the 12oz serving size. Although I could handle a couple of these in a sitting. Nice desert beer. Or pre dinner beer. Or with dinner beer. Very happy with this one. WIll be seeking out again.

bbothen, Feb 14, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Poured from the can into a pint glass. Pitch black. The head was an impressive two finger chocolate brown coloring. Looked delicious. Head sits a darker burnt caramel mocha hue. The retention was very impressive leaving a sheet of tightly bubbled lacing around the glass.

S: Rich baked chocolate aromas. Heavy sweetness like licorice sticks dipped in honey and molasses. Smoked malts with a faint tint of hops toward the back. Maybe a bit of 'can' smell but the rich and thick aromas in this beer outweigh that.

T: Complex malts with warming chocolate and coffee tastes. Dark toasted milk chocolates with woody undertones. Has a fudge and oaked quality especially as it warms. Some hint of charred dark fruits like figs or raisins. Vanilla and cocoa swirl together with a toffee sweetness. Just like the nose there is a quick hops bittering finish in this beer.

M: Medium to full bodied with good carbonation. Maybe a bit mild for an imperial stout but only barely. This is still very solid and coats down to the core.

D: I love the fact that this comes in a can. It looks cool and it drinks damn finely. I had heard alot about this one and it lived up to the hype. Highly recommended for drinkers, tokers, trippers, procrastinators, hallucinators, and the like...

erikm25, Feb 14, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into my Stone RIS tulip. Comes out of the can like the most delicious looking used motor oil I've ever seen. Perfect light brown head.

Smells of chocolate, roasted malts and tin can.

Damn tasty stout, reminds me of Great Divide's Yeti. Nice big flavor but oh so smooth at the same time. I was shocked when I read 98 IBUs but then thought it made perfect sense with how balanced the taste was. I know it's their trademark but the tin can taste was at the end of every sip but in no way ruined the beer, I'd love to have this on tap, out of a bomber or even barrel aged.

Mouthfeel is kick ass! Rich and smooth somewhere in between a milkshake and chocolate milk.

Drinkability was perfect, nice balance of great malt taste and 98 IBUs. The 9% ABV was revealed at all the right moments. Savored every sip and going back to the store to get more!

PoolhouseRebel, Feb 13, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

12 oz glass, the special on nitro at Hollingshead Deli, Anaheim.
Dark, oily black, enough to scare away any of my Coors Light drinking friends. Nitro gave it a thick, tight foam of chocolate brown head. Long lasting foam, thick chunky lace. The aroma is strong, but not overpowering. Some roasted chocolate, lots of bitter coffee. Flavor has lots of roasted malt, cocoa, coffee, chocolate. Sweet enough to balance the coffee/espresso bitterness. You can feel the warming alcohol, but doesn't burn. Thick, strong mouthfeel, but still creamy smooth and easy to drink. Definitely one to sip slowly and savour.

Note to self: Ranked #74/100 Top Beers on Planet Earth when I tried it

BigBry, Feb 13, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Sweet Jesus, this is one hell of a thick pouring brew. My wife even took notice while I was pouring it. Just dense opaque black with some brown head. The aroma has a rich chocolaty, rocky road, fudge ripple, marshmallow fluff thing going on that is pretty irresistible. Hell, if you take the time to find them, there are some hops in this bear. Coffee and char are the major flavor components. Oh, don't even trip. All of the character of the aroma are there in one way or another. Theres a strong bitter finish. Thick and rich on the palate. Ten FIDY is sooo insanly easy to drink, its criminal.

tjthresh, Feb 13, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

aroma: initially a chocolate aroma with some alcohol in the background, some mild fruity esters, roasted barley aroma is only very faint, also some initial malt sweetness
8/12

appearnace: jet black, opaque, upon initial pour no head was formed until I poured from higher above the glass, upon swirling the glass a thin head was formed and persisted for a while, head is dark tan in color
2/3

flavor: medium level of bitterness, no perceived bitterness from roasted malt, roasted barley flavor is in the background, smooth alcohol taste and some warmth, not solventy, chocolate and coffee like in the aftertaste, malty sweetness provides and excellent balance with chocolate and coffee flavors in the finish, finishes sweet with a little bit of linger bitterness
17/20

mouthfeel: very thick moutfeel from oats, low carbonation, some smooth alcohol warmth that burns slightly in the back of the throat
4/5

overall: thick is very rich stout that has an excellent dessert like quality to it that makes it very drinkable and has an excellent balance
9/10

40/50

jklinck, Feb 13, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Acquired in a trade with grandq
A= Thick black motor oil with a small tan head and no lacing is left
S= Soo sweet and rasiny. Chocolate comes through as well.
T= Thick chocolate and creamy coffee. Great ris. As this one warms it becomes more and more chocolaty but the chocolate becomes more and more silky. soo good
M= Thick and creamy
D= Very very high too good for my own good.

jjanega08, Feb 12, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Really surprised me, never judge a book by it's cover.

Brew pours a motor oil, pitch black body with a creamy mocha colored one inch head. I can already smell this dude. Spider web lacing all over the glass, with pretty good head retention. Great looking.

Aromas of iced mocha coffee, roasted sweet malt. Hints of molasses. Simple, but it smells great.

First thing that I noticed was how creamy this is - it's great. Sweet coffee/mocha flavors backed up by roasted malts with hints of dark fruits and dark chocolate. Dark chocolate dipped cherries kept coming into mind.

Alcohol slightly bears its head on the finish, but overall it's extremely (and dangerously) well-hidden. Carbonation is low, but it's so creamy and rich it doesn't detract at all. Perfectly well balanced with a great bitter coffee-like finish and aftertaste. Top notch RIS.

TMB0424, Feb 11, 2009