Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Big thanks to Dajtai007 for this single can as an extra in our recent trade!

A: Pours a DARK black used motor oil color out of the can with a bunch of frothy chocolate milk colored head, lots of lacing on the glass.

S: Usual RIS scents here, roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee...and i pick up some bread in there too

T: Wow, I was really surprised here. The tastes are like the scents, but it's almost got more milk chocolate in there and if this were a blind tasting, I would have told you it may be bourbon barrel aged. This is a great tasting RIS.

M: The mouthfeel is great in this brew, full and creamy with a great amount of carbonation

D: Totally drinkable, the fact that this RIS isn't as "burnt" or "bitter" as some others I think it really helps the drinkability factor.

I need to find and keep a little stockpile of this to have around!

dukedevil0, Mar 30, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

A: poured from a can into a stemless wine glass. Very thick black liquid. No head, although you can tell there's a decent amount of carbonation.

S: black coffee, molasses

T: bitter chocolate, black coffee, molasses (but not at all sweet). The flavors are not simple per se, but they are all definitely on the bitter side of the spectrum. Alky bite is very present.

M: nice oily feel with ample carbonation to keep things interesting

D: 10% ABV is not at all hidden. Definitely a sipping beer -- which is fine, but I'm not sure I'd want to sip an entire can of this rather one sided brew, much less another.

Richardberg, Mar 30, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance: huge head, dark black, chocolate colored

Smell:molasses, dark coffee, and chocolate

Taste: molasses, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, and cream

Mouthfeel: smooth, creamy, a sweet start that lasts through the middle part with an alcoholic tasting finish, very heavy

Drinkability: This is not as sweet as other RISs. It is a complex sipping beer. One of my favorites in the style, but not quite there...A very very good beer.

tigg924, Mar 29, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -21.2%

By far the darkest beer I ever poured from a can. Pours with a viscous yet thin tan head which is expected of an RIS. However the head disperses rather quick. Smells of wonder full chocolate malts with a hint of alcohol. As the head reduces so does the scent.

Wow...what a mouth feel. Supper smooth and thick like a shake. Strong alcohol flavor. Nice chocolate malt. Aside from that it doesn't stand out. Odd after taste.

This one is a sipper to be sure. I'm not wanting more.

I was sure this was going to be a slam dunk after pouring and smelling. The taste, although not bad, was simply average. Nicest mouth feel I can remember. I have two more cans of this so I'll try again another day.

NiceGuyMike, Mar 29, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours the blackest black I think I've ever seen. Rich, brown chocolate head. Great lacing. Perfect.

Big nose here. Loads of roasted malts and chocolate. Big coffee scent with underlying hop bitterness.

The taste is damn near perfect. Bittersweet chocolate, deep roasted coffee beans. Dark fruits and molasses. Love the hops in this one.

The mouthfeel is incredible. Silky smooth. Rich, rich, rich. Viscous body, appropriately low carbonation. Never-ending finish, coats the entire mouth, leaves you absolutely BEGGING for more. Nice alcoholic warming sensation kindly reminds you to slow down. This one is definitely a sipper, but it's so perfect you can't help but keep going back for another sip.

This is an amazing Russian Imperial Stout. Not really a whole lot else to say. I'm almost ashamed of myself for not buying some sooner.

Gyle41386, Mar 29, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -12.1%

12oz can poured into a goblet. Review from notes from a few days ago.

A: Black. A vigours pour creates a sizable head that leaves lots of lacing.

S: Coffee, licorice, soy sauce, alcohol, some chocolate.

T: Major coffee roastiness with hints of bittersweet chocolate. No trace of alcohol, but there is a bit of an off metallic flavor. Finishes with strong hop bitterness.

M: Thick and creamy, the way God intended imperial stouts to be.

D: The best beer to come from a can? I'd say so...for what that's worth.

BarrelO, Mar 28, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Aroma - Malty roasted goodness. Nutty. God this is good.

Appearance - Dark motor oil that has a resilent light brown head

Taste - Surprisingly unoffensive (yeah that is what I first thought). Not knock down drag out good, but has an awesome lingering roastiness, some cherry, well balanced. Just a solid solid imperial stout.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly thin

Drinkability - Way too drinkable for 9.5% ABV (It said so on the can)

This would be in the running for my regular RIS if it was available in Ohio.

jwhawkins81, Mar 27, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

A--Pours out of the can so thick it almost makes you wonder if it is going to clog the opening. Nice finger of dark brown head. No lacing.

S--Bourbon, caramel, milk chocolate. Nothing is jumping out at me too much, a very pleasant scent but not a very powerful one. I'm picking up caramel more than anything

T--Fairly complex and extremely well balanced. Vanilla, roasted malt, hints of dark fruit, chocolate. Nothing really jumps out and makes me say "wow" but it is overall very good.

M--Creamy as hell. Carbonation is minimal and is only felt on the back of my throat.

D--A nice easy drinker consider the size of this puppy. A top quality "everyday" stout.

Overall this beer is definitely deserving of its status. It could use some improvement to really make my palate happy, but I was pleased.

alcstradamus, Mar 27, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -16.7%

Picked up a four pack of 12oz cans from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco, CA. Poured into a small snifter.

I feel like I am pouring a can of motor oil with this brew. Out of a can and nice, thick and black. Quarter inch dark tan head after an aggressive pour. Minimal carbonation.

Nose is pretty heavy. Alcohol is pretty well hidden for a 10% abv. Sweet roasted malts, some raisin and molasses. Quality nose with quality ingredients. Nothing over the top or real complex, but certainly not bad.

There is a smoky malt presence that dominates the mouth. Kind of reminds me of some good smoked beef jerky. Lightly roasted malts with some oak wood flavors. Tastes like it is young but would age well.

Thick, mildly viscous and very full body. Minimal carbonation. Good drinkability.

ibbjamin, Mar 27, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -11%

Brought to by the masters of good canned beer, the Ten Fiddy Stout holds up excellently in spite of any initial reservations. A thick, smooth black pour and near to no head/lace sat like dark oil. The aroma was thick, with a bit noticeable alcohol that blocked the other wet, burnt wood & burnt malt aromas. The flavor was akin to the aroma, with additional plum-raisin elements and a near-liquor quality that brought on a nice chest warmth. A bit flat & heavy on the alcohol, but otherwise a good sipper.

selecter70, Mar 26, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

Ok, not always my favorite style. However, I've been trying to appreciate well-made beers no matter the style, and I do LOVE Oskar Blues, so I figured it was worth a shot. Also, found a single, which isn't common, so I figured it was a sign.

Appearance - Black. I held it directly up to a bright light and absolutely nothing got through. It's about as black as beer can be. The head is a nice chocolate color, but is not very prominent at all. A little more of that pretty head would have been nice.

Smell - Sweet dark roast. Not too coffee-ish (why I dislike most stouts, I just hate coffee) with a little burnt candy hiding back there. Just a hint of cinnamon toast.

Taste - Very sweet up front. Almost a salty soy flavor as well. Lots of dark roast, but very little coffee. It definitely has some burnt bitterness, but it's not too prominent. Definitely some dried fruit, maybe raisin, lingering in the background. Plenty of chocolate. Very nice and balanced. The booze shows up as it warms, but never overpowers.

Mouthfeel - A little chewy, but mostly sweet cream. It coats the tongue pleasantly, but doesn't linger. Very pleasant.

Drinkability - Very good for the style. Not really my favorite, but I'll happily have this one. That said, it's pretty heavy for a session.

I'm very, very impressed. This may be my favorite RIS. Now, that's not saying a whole lot, since it's just not my style, but this guy is really pretty damned good. The balance is what does it. Some nice chocolate and fruit, without all the burnt bitterness or coffee notes that usually turn me off. Oskar Blues makes the best beers in a can, bar-none.

callmescraps, Mar 26, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

What better beer for my 50th review than the old ten FIDY?

Motor oil, soy sauce, deep dark outer space... whatever descriptions and metaphors you want to use. This stuff is blacker than black. Almost no head which gives away its lack of carbonation.

Out of my snifter this beer came rumbling forth with all kinds of the stoutiest aromas and flavors. Sweet cinnamon toast, freshly baked bread, and melted dark (think 99% cacao) chocolate. It tasted heavenly, sweet if thats possible, bitter, hot, roasty malts. There a soy flavor for the first couple of sips, but after warming those foul flavors died away, leaving only the best flavors you can find in an Impy Stout.

Can't give it a perfect for drinkability because one was enough, but it was nicely drinkable for what it was: a big, over the top bomb of aroma and flavor that was a joy to imbibe.

joshuadlight, Mar 25, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: My God, it looks like motor oil as it pours out of the can. Blacker than black and thick as molasses, this is without a doubt the darkest beer I've ever seen. It's like a black hole, absorbing all light it comes in contact with. In the glass, it pours a very minimalistic deep-caramel head with half-decent lacing and retention.

Aroma: If you melted a bar of dark chocolate and mixed it with a few drops of pure hop oil and a shot of ethanol, this is what it would smell like. Powerful is somewhat of an understatement.

Taste: Pounds of dark-roasted, bittersweet chocolate malt condensed down into an aluminum-wrapped twelve ounce serving. But don't be fooled into thinking this is just a one-dimensional beer. Somehow, the maniacal brewers have found space in the can for a big wall of hops. How can a beer as big as this seem somewhat balanced? Madness. As you'd expect for a beer in the double digit ABV realm, the booze likes to raise its voice. As it warms, it kicks your ass more and more.

Mouthfeel: I've compared other beers to milkshakes before, but they all seem like water compared to this. This is simply massive and smooth as all hell. The booze makes itself known in your throat.

Drinkability: You'd have to be some sort of God/lumberjack hybrid to be able to throw this back with ease.

Verdict: Ten Fidy is an experience, to say the least, and the best Russian Imperial I've tried yet. A massive body with a brilliant malt profile and a nice flourish of hops. If you like Russian Imperial Stouts whatsoever and can find this in your area, buy it. If you can't find it in your area, move.

BeanBone, Mar 25, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

A: A viscous pour from the can produces a pitch black brew with a tiny tan head. Barely any lacing.

S: Dark. Previously, I wasn't aware that "dark" actually had a smell, but I'm pretty sure it's this. Also, anise, dark chocolate, and a touch of booze.

T: A strong black licorice taste with big roasted flavors. Burnt oak, coffee grounds, tobacco. A bit under-attenuated with some heat.

M: Full-bodied, thick, and chewy with light carbonation. You'll need a steak knife to drink this one.

D: Hugely intense on all levels. One is about all that I can take, but I'll be looking forward to finishing the 4-pack later this week.

klewis, Mar 25, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

A: The liquid is as black as black can be with a mocha head that is darker than nearly any other beer that I can remember. Moderate lacing remains after a few minutes.

S: The nose is dark, roasty, sweet, chocolatey and a bit fruity, like plums. For all that complexity, it's a tad on the weak side. It's a particularly sweet aroma for an Imperial Stout, and some of the complexity is washed out by this malt sweetness.

T: Excellent mild flavor for a big old Imperial Stout. Mild seems like a bad word to apply to an Imp Stout, but Ten Fidy pulls it off rather wonderfully. Chocolate is probably the dominant flavor, but there are some big roasted and fruit notes in there as well. There are some flavors that are somewhere between rum and bourbon.

M: The mouthfeel is smooth and slightly syrupy. There is a very subtle bite to it, just enough to keep it away from cloying. It walks a fine line, but the results are very successful.

D: A very interesting Imperial Stout, up there with some of the best of the style. It doesn't quite climb that very final step, with beers like The Abyss out there.

popery, Mar 24, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got ahold of this beer on a trip to Sconny. The beer pours with the look of used motor oil with a thick tan head that disolves rather quickly. Carbonation is subtile. The nose is boozy at first, with hints of coffee and chocolate. Wow! The instant this brew hits the tongue, Coffee, chocolate, and vanilla notes overwhelm all else. It finishes dry with a nice hop bite. Creamy and thick, Ten Fidy is a full-bodied sipper. Very drinkable, but I wouldn't have more than one in a sitting. It's definitely made my top ten Imperial Stouts list.

WYVYRN527, Mar 23, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A strong arm of a stout. Love affair born? Yup.

My first sip of this beer was on draft at LA's Fathers Office, however I only like to review a beer whileI am drinking it. Next came my county wide man-hunt to find this bad boy. After a cruise to huntington beach (followed by lunch at Beachwood BBQ), I was able to stock my fridge with 8 of these bad boys. I cracked one open while preparing some ribs for a "family" cookout and the first sip was just as good as i remembered. I credit Craftsman with making room on my IPA loving palate but I have to credit Oskar Blues for teaching me that love is real. If that can had arms, I'd hug it.

Even gave a taste to my Dog Archie. He wanted more.

gregmoscetti, Mar 22, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -3%

Ok so I will start this review with this beer is very good and I take nothing away from those who reviewed it. However, I just did a side-by-side with it and Surly Darkness and there is no comparison. I apologize for those that can't get Surly in their region but those who have had Darkness will agree with me I am sure.
Appearance is black as coal with small head and no notable lacing. Smell is quite good- dried dark fruit and a roasted malt graininess comes through. Taste is a bit weaker than expected. More of the same but the malt is slightly lessened by a sweet hop flavor. Mouthfeel is good, nice and creamy.
Very drinkable for the style.

supercolter, Mar 19, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

My first ten fidy... sweet. 12 oz to mug.

Middle-of-the-night-in-the-jungle-black color. Bubbly, tan, frothy, 3F head. Definite lacing on down.

Smell is nice, without being crazy strong. Molasses sweetness, roasted almonds, and a hint of black coffee.

Taste was like a dark chocolate milkshake with a double-shot of Baileys. Good God Y'all!

This may be the mouthfeel king of the RIS family. I'm a RIS luva, but this one didn't just put a smile on my face, frankly, I believe it seduced me.

Terrific drinkability, slow and sweet. Sip this puppy, and enjoy!!!

BeerImmediately, Mar 19, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -9.1%

Ten-Fidy? He wanted ten-fidy. That ain't no girl scout, that's a damned lochness monster!

On tap at Manderes in Folsom

A - Poured black, with a 2 fingered brown head, dissipated slow, left nice lacing.

S/T - Dark coffeee, chocolate, caramel, and light alcohol. Little hop flavoring.

M - Highly malt-dominated, slighlty thin, very sweet. No alcohol presence in mouthfeel.

D - This is a good beer. It could probably use some hops to tame the sweetness.

MisterClean, Mar 17, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can, can this be right? Into a tulip, did not feel like washing the snifter. My cold is still lingering, but a RIS seems more therapeutic than cough syrup, it's man's syrup.

A: Thin motor oil. I like drinking black shit mom. Nice 1.5 cm mocha head that settles down rapidly. Amateur lacing. Pure Vin Diesel.

S: Lots of sweet smelling malt, tame chocolate, discernible hop profile.

T: Initially was hit with a chocolate coffee bean syrup reduction, the tongue begins to feel the IBUs and like someone slowly turning up the volume on a stereo a nice roasted anise cherry like bitterness. Pleasant alcohol warmth as this monster gets closer to room temperature.

M: Feels like sex without a condom. A small ring of foam manages to cling around the glass, good carbonation for this dense yet smooth syrup.

D: I bought a 4-pack, sweet.

MPLS, Mar 16, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

Very thick pour, completely opaque, very small head, but it's the darkest foam I may have ever seen. Smell is fantastic! Lots of sweet roastiness, some chocolate and light coffee with some brown sugar and burnt caramel in the background. This beer completely loaded with chocolate milkshake flavor, it's pretty sweet, with a very nice roastiness, some light bitterness in the background, and just a touch of roasted coffee beans. Flavor just coats the mouth, one of the thickest stouts I've had and is up there with some of my favorites. Alcohol is barely noticeable and I find myself drinking this one a little fast because it tastes and feels so good! A+ indeed.

KeefD, Mar 16, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Man....when KeefD said that he had a new "little" beer for me this evening, he wasn't kidding. Thanks my friend for this one. WOW!

A - This beer, by my standards, is one of the finest looking beers I have had the privledge of looking at. Incredible. A 5 in my book. Thick and black as fricking motor oil that has been in an engine for too long. Exceptional. NO and I mean NO LIGHT comes through. Perfect.

S - Ohhh yeah. Burnt sweet malt heaven. Like walking into a beer lovers candy store. Huge wonderful smell. I need a corned beef sandwich on Rye with some horsey sauce nextt time I have this beer. Another 5. I am scare, where is this leading. I never give all fives. Where could this be leading?

T - I am kind of excited here. If the past two criteria have any indication, I might be going on a trip to some beer planet in a few moments... Here goes...Wonderful. This beer is big and not scared to let you know it. This is one huge stout. Alcohol is present but in a fantastic way. Beer gets so much better as it warms up a bit. All of the thickness and strong stout characteristics come through. Wow....I am hooked. Not quite a 5 but close. I have to give it a 4.5. This beer reminds me of an Old Raspy but much thicker.

M - Get the steak knives out boys because you are going to chew this one down. Fantistic. Creamy. Completely coats the mouth. Smooth. Another 5.

D - Why can Wisconsin get this but Minnesota can't? I mean, the trucks have to go through Minnesota to get the beer to Wisconsin. For this reason, I have to give it a 4. Also, because this is such a HUGE beer. Could I drink this all day. Of course I could. Would I die trying...I just might, or at least the liver might. Sign me up for the donar program boys....if this hits Minnesota, I just might need one.

Thanks again Keith...Fantastic.

schellsbeer, Mar 15, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -7.5%

Pouring a stout from a can is a new experience, I must admit. Ebony body is topped by a small brown head that leaves some wispy lacing.

Aroma is dark roasted malt notes of chocolate, cocoa, and coffee.

Excellent mouthfeel is silky smooth, with subdued carbonation and a full body.

Taste is on par with an excellent impy stout, but not as complex as I had hoped. Prominent cocoa and bittersweet choclate, complimented by hints of dark fruits and earthy hops. Finishes with a bitter roastiness.

An excellent stout, but I was expecting something earth shattering given my previous experiences with Oskar Blues. Still, this is definitely one I would buy again.

merlin48, Mar 15, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Ten fidy is extraordinary. The blackest of black with a dense brown head that smells like a smore that was hit with a blowtorch. Appearance smell-wise it is not very different from other RISs, but its taste sets it ahead of its kin. Very rich chocolately and coffee flavors, both of which have sweet AND bitter expressions coming through depending on whether its on the front of your palate, swished around, or the lingering swallow. Its body is dense but has a luxurious, velveteen texture. The first sip literally gave me goosebumps. This beer has "quality" written all over it. Props to Oskar Blues for shunning microbrew conventions by putting such a grand masterpiece in a can.

droomyster, Mar 14, 2009