Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Black as black can get, with an almost maroon, two-finger head.

Lots of chocolate in the smell with some coffee, licorice, and molasses as well. Sweet chocolate dominates.

Taste is complex. Roastier than the aroma but definite chocolate presence. Very dry. Dark molasses and dark chocolate. Dry oats and cereal grains. Crisp and clean. The dryness and sweetness interweave. The taste is different from lips to finish. Nice sharp chocolate bite at points. Nice dry smooth finish at other places.

So rich and smooth that the alcohol is undetectable.

3.97/5  rDev -9.4%

A - Poured into a snifter. Color as black as the can. Tan head that quickly dissipated, save the ring around the edge.

S - Overwhelming malt smell. Roasted malt, tinge of burnt malt, and cocoa. Very rich smelling overall.

T - Like drinking candy. Sweet, chocolaty, and finishes with a good tongue grabbing bitterness. This is a full malt beer.

M - Syrupy, thick; fair amount of carbonation that is hidden by the thickness. Lingers in the mouth.

D - Great overall. A bit too malty for my preference, but no downgrades for that. One or two of these in a sitting it plenty for me due to the sweetness.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Canned on 10-12-10

A- this looks great, pours out of the can like motor oil, creamy dark tan head that settles quickly. Lacing is solid down the side of the glass. This beer screams "Drink me"

S- lots of roasted malt as you would expect, lot's of chocolate, more milk chocolate than dark.

T- tastes like roasted chocolate milk. Slight alcohol burn is noticeable, but it makes the entire experience pleasant. Aftertaste has light and airy notes of dark fruit.

M- Creamy smooth and chewy with just the slightest carbonation, if this could be better I'm not sure how.

D- I have 2 left. I want to drink them now. This beer surpassed my expectations. I've only had a couple OB beers, but it's no wonder they're growing so rapidly, and it's not just the cans. These are some high quality brews. Ten Fidy can hold its own against any stout out there.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 12oz can into a Sam Adams Pefect Pint. (Canned on 10.25.2010, consumed on 3.9.2011)

Pours pitch black with a thin brown head that dissapates rather quickly, leaving some decent lacing. Looks like viscous motor oil.

Smells like dark chocolate, coffee, toffee, molasses, and just a bit of fruity hops.

Taste is excellent. Roasty and sweet malt with a bit of coffee, dark chocolate and again some pleasant fruity hops. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel is heavy and sticky, as expected. Mild Carbonation.

Drinkability is great. Hard to put down, hard to notice the ABV until afterwards.

3.73/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured into a Swiss wine snifter. Canned on 11-12-2010, consumed 03-07-2011.

This viscous libation pours black with an almost rusty charred brown head, which rises two fingers and dies over the course of a few minutes.

From far away this smells like a box of fruit-filled chocolates. Cherry syrup, vanilla, imitation maple and confectioners sugar with sweetened milk chocolate. I have never smelled a sweeter beer. Swirling the odd concoction brings up some surprisingly bright and fresh hops, and the classic roasted barley notes that seem both sweet and burnt-bitter at the same time. Chocolate chocolate chocolate.

Thankfully the taste doesn't follow the nose, as this would be a mouth-hurting sweet syrup. First... well this is interesting. Darkly roasted malts are here and taste a little different than usual, could it be the hops? These taste different than usual as well. I think this different taste that I have been working to define is... burnt marshmallow! Not bad, but sugary AND burnt in a way I haven't tasted before. Pretty interesting, and tasty.

Mouthfeel is full and slick, I suspect the oats contribute to this. Carbonation seemed a bit excessive at first, and then a bit flat soon after, so maybe I am just picky tonight. Drinkability is pretty good, but not (in my opinion) up there with the very best.

Conclusion: Well my hat is off to Oskar Blues not because this is a beer that I love, but because it is unique. It tastes like nothing else exactly and for that I respect it, however I prefer my big stouts to lean more towards dark fruit, coffee, pure black patent malts or smoke, not burnt marshmallow. To each his own...

P.S. Take a big swig of this right from the can, it will scramble your expectations concerning 12oz cans wonderfully.

3.77/5  rDev -13.9%

Waited a good while to try this beer, excited to get into this one! Poured at celler temp 55 degrees into a snifter.

A. Coal black thick motor oil pour,no light shines through this baby. Nice two finger mocha colored marshmellow like head. Tons of lacing sticking everywhere.

S. Smell to me is the weakest part of this beer,but I get alot of alchohol in this as expected, earthy grains and sweet candy malts with some chocolate.

T. alchohol bite at first followed by roasted malts and dark fruit such as prunes and fig and dark chocolate ending with some hop biterness I suppose. I get a small amount of metallic aftertaste in this.

M. Beautiful thick heavy mouthfeel covers the whole mouth, very smooth considering the ABV.

D. I can drink a couple of these no problem,but the 10.5 will drop the hammer for sure.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer.My favorite style,I'm going to cellar some of this I think it will be badass All RIS lovers this is a must try, great job Oscar Blues.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours from the can like motor oil into large snifter. About a quarter inch of chocolaty head which quickly dissipates leaving islands of residual lacing on the glass... This beer is sexy. Smells of molasses, chocolate, raisins intermixed with slight alcohol vapors. Tastes of sweet chocolaty malt, molasses, raisins, coffee, slight soy with a touch of smoke. Mouthfeel is exceptionally smooth and thick with the perfect touch of carbonation, this beer begs to be sipped and enjoyed slowly.

4.6/5  rDev +5%

Poured from the can into a tumbler

A: dark as night, cannot see a GD thing through it nice fluffy head, unexpected from an 10.5% beer

S: molasses, black licorice, chocolate, alcohol also comes through, smells amazing...

T: much of the same on the taste. Wow!, this was my first impression, reminded me of a less offensive dogfish head WWS, alcohol is def prominent but its a woody type of alcohol taste, also black licorice, molasses and a dark chocolate finish, possibly a slight smoky characteristic on the after taste as well, dear god this is delicious

M: coats the entire mouth, numbs the lips and leaves a sticky reside on the lips as well

D: should not be this drinkable for a 10.5% beer, if you want to sip this then you can, or you can take nice swigs and also be satisfied.

putting this on the record as the best RIS that i've had between DFH WWS, Old Rasp. & this

4.76/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a can

A- Poured into a tulip, the heads forms into a moist, chocolaty foam and actually looks both delicious and menacing! The body is jet black. Very interesting.

S- The smell is light chocolate, earthy, molasses and some kind of dark berry. Black berry? Way more subtle than you'd expect from the appearance of this beer. The faint aroma doesn't match the bold visual at all. This beer is shifty.

T- Boom! The rope a dope method is in full effect! Faint, delicate aroma give way to strong molasses, coffee, semi-sweet chocolate and brown sugar. The alcohol comes out throughout and is alarmingly strong but adds to the flavor experience without taking over.

M- Syrupy and heavy with a formidable chew.

D- This beer is dangerous. Between the delicate aromas, powerful flavor and high alcohol content you'd think this would be a slow sipper to appreciate and move on but then POW! You've had 3 or 4 and you're face is numb. I'm fairly certain that feisty stout is about as much fun in a can as you can have.

4.31/5  rDev -1.6%

on tap at irish pol in philly. served in tulip glass.

Pours a deep inky black with a wonderfully frothy layer of deep, brownie colored head. This retains a thick layer on top of the beer until nearly the last sip, as the beer leaves patches of tanned lacing on the glass.

Roasted dark malt with cocoa and dark chocolate. Dark fruits mix in with some more sweetness and a bit of smoke. Light alcohol flair.

Plenty of rich malts laced with bittersweet dark chocolate and cocoa. A decent layer of dark fruit with dates and plum add in a unique sort of sweetness. Hints of charred smoke towards the middle. Some alcohol flair with a hop bite during the finish.

Full bodied, softer carbonation, rich sticky texture with slight chewiness. Drinks nicely, the flavor and feel is excellent. I've had this aged and fresh; I think its safe to say I prefer it on the fresher side.

3.56/5  rDev -18.7%

The beer pours motor oil black with a tiny mocha head. Very slow and viscous pour, noticable from the moment the beer leaves the can. Additionally this is as black as beer gets, some deep brown highlights on the edges but no light penetrates it, impressive.

Smell is not as strong as I expected out of a RIS but it's every bit as complex. Dark fruit, dried cherries and currants with all of that roasted maltiness and raw cocoa, like fudge.

The taste mirrors the smell with depth of chocolate flavors backed with some piney hops, enough to maintain balance. I was hoping for some coffee bean but the roasted smells didn't back the flavor. A bit of astringency and soy sauce.

The mouthfeel is thick, oily smooth without being overbearing with little carbonation to speak of. There's bitterness that was expected but it creeps in metallic and harsh, not fresh or bright. While the beer leaves a sweet mouth coating it doesn't dry and the bitterness unbalances the whole act driving you to quickly sip to drive away the unpleasantness.

I was really looking forward to this beer and I found it to be an amazing canned product but not on par with the hype. Bitterness is creeping and doesn't mesh well with on the finish with other competing harsh flavors.

4.78/5  rDev +9.1%

I've heard about Ten Fidy but just got around to trying it. I don't think I would've been ready for it had I tried it a year ago.

A: Tried it out of a tulip glass, pours pretty much black with red outline. Really thick like syrup, barely any head.

S: I picked up a sweet & malty scent with a hint of cocoa.

T: Slight everything good, such as chocolate, coffee, caramel & licorice.

M: A bitter sweet symphony in my mouth. As close to perfection as it gets.

D: So far it's the best beer I've ever had, drink one but prepare yourself for it. If you don't like it, it may just be too much for you.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance. Pours black with a hint of dark brown like old, dirty hot motor oil. Very little deep chocolate brown head leaving very little lacing.

Smell. Dark dried cherries, molasses, old wood and a little vanilla.

Taste. Wow! Vanilla, molasses, some chocolate, plum and booze. All good stuff.

Mouthfeel. Full body, medium-low carbonation and some nice boozy warming.

Drinkability. Grabs your attention and holds on to it for a while. Not a fast drinker but it doesn't get boring either. Good for the style.

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from can into snifter.

A: Dark black color nice dark brown one and a half finger head that fades quickly and leaves little lacing. (+.5 for the can)

S: Smell is very nice. I get very sweet chocolate malts, some light coffee bitterness.

T: Some RIS i need to warm up to, but I really like this from the get go. I get dark sweet chocolate, some distance coffee flavors with light bitterness. Smooth overall. The only problem is this beer lacks some depth and is not very interesting as I keep drinking.

M: Good. Maybe a little thin.

D: Overall a very drinkable RIS, but maybe that is a bad thing (reflected in my taste score).

3.33/5  rDev -24%

Snifter.

Black as night. Dark brown head. 1 finger. drops quickly. dark lacing.

sweet malt. dark fruit. prune. fig. cocoa. dark coffee. no hops.

flavors of anise. dark coffee. roasted grains. dark cocoa. finish is rather short for a ris. bitter, roasted grain stands out.

mouthfeel is thin for a ris. mouthcoating roasted bitterness.

drinkability is good. not outstanding. not sure what the hype is about. not a benchmark as far as RIS goes. good, not great.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from can into chalice:

Pours very dark, with small brown head.
Smelled of malts, and roasted/coffee, slight alcohol smell.
Roasted malt taste.
Very smooth, but thick feel.
Can taste the alcohol, but could have fooled me at 10.5% ABV. Slightly bitter aftertaste.

Would try again. Solid Russian imperial stout. Good buy to pick up.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured an oily opaque black with a one finger tan head that had coarse bubbling. Dissipated to a thin coffee-like mahogany layer that remained for a while.

Nose is of very ripe fruit sugars and molasses, with a bit of sweet chocolate. Tons of toasted scents as well.

Taste is very toasted, almost charred at times, with molasses the prevalent sweetness. Roasted malt bomb milkshake is the best way I can describe this beer, as it throws a lot of intense malt and texture at you without losing its mouthfeel or drinkability.

Speaking of those, Mouthfeel is ridiculously thick and creamy, and the foaming of the beer when swished around in the mouth adds to it immensely. Syrupy and viscous too, which is awesome for the style. Drinkability is crazy good, as the abv is flat out not there, and the coating this one leaves after each sip is delectable. I will say that the pure roasted character of this beer can get to be a bit much, but not for a while. Love this beer.

4.17/5  rDev -4.8%

Got this in the Blind BIF from nlmartin. Thanks buddy!
The beer was opened without any prior knowledge of brewer, style, or anything.

So I made myself some nice pizza for dinner and decided to pop the blind can to go with it.... I had asked nlmartin what glassware to use for the beers and was told the snifter would get me through most if them, but "use a glass for the can." with no modifier in front of the word "glass," I assumed "pint glass."

Anyway-- I pop the can. I immediately regretted it.
It opened with a *click* with no hiss of carbonation... As soon as I began to pour it, I understood why-- this is a stout. A monstrous, sludgey, thick, viscous, dark black stout.

Sunnuvabitch. This will not go well with my pizza. I love me some Ten-Fidy... But I was expecting a pale ale... Yes, I guessed right away that this was Ten-Fidy-- what other Imperial Stout is in a can? Awesome.

Dark tan head, minimal lacing, no head at all left after I'm halfway done. Still though, looks nice...
Smells of chocolate malt, toffee, some dark fruits, and a hint of black licorice.
The taste has a great sweetness up front and dries out with a light booziness that really works well. This is very tasty. The black licorice is minimal, and the dark fruits ride in with a small charred smokiness. Very very tasty.

The body is full and thick. Good creamy feel with the low carbonation.
Insanely tasty and easy drinking. Man, I need to ask my buddies to send me more of this...
Thanks!
A-4, S-4.5, T-4, M-4.5, D-4

3.76/5  rDev -14.2%

The appearance of this beer is quite dark, if I hold it up to the light I can see very very feint mahogany/purple hues on the very edges of the glass. That being said, it is almost pitch black. The head is a dark tan, almost brown head comprised of lots of tiny bubbles. The aroma is hoppy more than anything else. I pick up earth tones with a roasty malt background. Taste is fantastic! Big on roastyness with subtle coffee/espresso and chocolate flavors. Texture is thick, and I mean THICK.. like syrup! good carbonation but it's almost unnoticeable because your palate is adjusting to the syrupy quality of this beer. For drinkability I would have to give it a lower rating due to the high 10.5% ABV and texture. This is a sipping beer.

4.48/5  rDev +2.3%

I love Ten FIDY stout from Oskar Blues! You really need to drink this with some heavy food like pizza or pasta. This is not for the faint of heart. Really thick, heavy flavors, almost thick like syrups. One of my favorites, but super hard to find. You get a nice molasses flavor going on with some hints of burnt caramel.

4.03/5  rDev -8%

Ahh an imperial stout in a can. I have wanted to try this beer for awhile after hearing a lot of good reviews and thankfully this beer did not disappoint. A beautiful thick chewy stout with a nice pleasant aroma of dark roasted malts. This beer is remarkably smooth for 10.55 abv. Good beer does come in a can and this beer is proof.
Cheers

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Reviewed from notes written on 2/15/11. Thanks for the venue, Walter the Dog.

Ten FIDY ( I love that name) pours a scorched engine oil black into a medium-sized wine glass. There was no fizz at all when I popped the tab on the can, which led me to wonder if it was under carbonated. No head appears at all; only a faint haze of dark brown sits atop the black body. Just a hint of a brown hue is visible around the edges and there is no lacing to be found on my glass.

The smell is very toffee heavy upfront, with quite a bit of caramel and dark chocolate notes showing through. Some roasted malt and acidic coffee scents are present, but they reside well in the background. Dark cherry and plum aromas also hide in the background. As it warms, the roasted malt and coffee smells become much more prevalent. Strangely, the smell reminds me a bit of creamy Baileys. "I'm Old Greg!"

I find there to be a perfect balance of acidic roastiness and sweet creaminess in the taste. As it warms, the acidic roastiness pops and nudges the the creaminess of the dark chocolate, toffee, and caramel flavors out of the way a bit. This is a very full, complex, present taste with a nicely dry and roasty finish.

Ten FIDY has a full and viscous feel in my mouth. It is very creamy and Baileys-like, but with enough of a roasty and hoppy bite on the sides of my palate to balance the feel out. This beer is a member of the three B's club: Big. Bold. Badass.

This is a slow sipping beer and an ear and face warmer, to be sure. It is not one that I would ever think of having several of in a sitting, simply because it is so heavy. It is, however, a beer that I would be thrilled to have from time to time.

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

APPEARANCE: This beer poured into a pint glass with virtually no head at all -- 1/8" at the most -- that dissipated to a small swirl of dark tan bubbles almost immediately. Looking carefully (with the help of a small LED flashlight) into the murky black body revealed a moderate amount of carbonation.

AROMA: Holding the glass to my nose I was immediately struck by a pleasingly balanced moderate alcohol scent supporting heavy malt aromas of roasted coffee, caramel, and molasses, with a light scent of pine needles and a slight earthy scent. I couldn't wait to see if it passed the taste test!

TASTE: Well, it passed the taste test with flying colors. Alcohol turned out to be mell masked by the heavy malt flavor to the extent that it seemed light even though I knew the beer had a high alcohol content. Tastes of caramel, roasted coffee, and chocolate were complimented by a slightly earthy light taste of pine and a hint of black licorice. All together, a masterful example of the brewer's art.

MOUTHFEEL: I loved the mouthfeel of this full bodied, slightly oily brew. Body lacing was virtually nonexistent. Moderate carbonation tickled the tongue. The initial flavor was slightly sweet, morphing into a slightly bitter flavor at the finish. This sensation stayed on the tongue for a moderate amount of time.

DRINKABILITY: This was unquestionably the best, most memorable Russian Imperial Stout I've tasted. This is definitely a sipping beer, but by the end I found myself wishing I could stay for another. Such repeatability in a big beer like this is rare, at least for me. The brewmaster deserves high praise indeed for melding the flavors so as to make this a relatively smooth, easy drinking beer. Would I buy it again? In a New York minute!

3.7/5  rDev -15.5%

12oz can to pint glass

Appearance - Pours black as motor oil, minimal carbonation, and coffee colored head that settles quickly.

Smell - Roasty, chocolaty, caramelly malts...can also smell the alcohol on this one faintly.

Taste - Smoky on the onset but finishes somewhat bitter and hoppy. The alcohol is there but does not overpower the other flavors. I also pickup some of the roasted coffee/espresso flavors that others have described.

Mouthfeel - Pleasant mouthfeel with some lingering flavors that coat your mouth. Very complex flavor profile with subtle nuances in every sip.

Drinkability - This would be a nice dessert beer right along side a piece of german chocolate cake. However, I can't see drinking more than one in a night.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

First time I tried this, I could believe such a thick, chewy brew could come from a can. This beer has some weight to it - and some serious calories I'm sure.

Pitch black with deep brown head. Settles pretty quick with just a ring arount the pint glass this was poured into. There was plenty sticking to the side of the glass, in fact, as I finished it the clear glass was a shade of brown.

Smells rich caramel, roasted malt and other grains. Didn't get the chocolate/coffee thing many are saying. Just a very real RIS. It's not a chocolate stout or a milk stout, this beer is just plain stout.

Tastes delicious. Caramelized sugar and burnt malt with some booze lingering around. Not too hot though but a year should do this beer fine.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and thick. Leaves a coating on your tongue like it does the glass.

Drinkability is good. Although 1 would be plenty satisfying, you could do 2-3 with ease. Goes down sugary sweet with a burnt finish and touch of alcohol.

It's just a great example of the style. If you haven't already, put it on you "beers to try" list.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew