Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Imperial stout in a can... cool. Thanks to Oxymoron for sending this in a recent trade.
Pretty much black with faint brown edges, looked pretty thick during the pour. Fine, dark brown foam that left some streaky lacing on the glass. Though there isn't a lot there, it had good head retention. Chocolate/toffee aroma, some licorice, roasty, with faint fruity hops. Spicy? Super malty with solid, balanced bitterness. Lots of bready malts, bittersweet chocolate, slightly burnt, with citrusy hops hiding in the middle and lingering with toffee in the finish. There's a dark, ripe fruit character hiding in there too. Roast was milder than expected, letting the richness of the malt stay in the forefront, but it did manage to fill out the finish. Delicious. Awesome mouthfeel. Thick and creamy, silky texture, fine carbonation. Chewy and very heavy. Luxurious. Wow. No hint of alcohol at all, making this an insanely drinkable (and dangerous) imperial stout. Highly recommended.

DrJay, Mar 08, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

This fantastically unique RIS pours a completely opaque, ink black body with a luscious, dark brown, 1/2 inch of foam perched on top. The incredibly attractive head lasts good and long as well. This is essentially what an RIS should look like in my opinion. I can't imagine how I would improve it.

Wow, the aroma is just plain surprising; and in a good way. I expected a big, chocolaty, coffee, roast bomb (and don't get me wrong, those flavors are in there), but the primarily contributor to aroma is definitely the big leafy, bitter hops. I've never had an RIS that's been hopped this well while still maintaining such a fantastic texture. The hops are certainly something to behold but beyond that there is tons of deep, roasty notes and a hint of vanilla. Ridiculously unique.

The flavor is super creamy and formidable with smoke, strong black coffee, bitter baking cocoa, and even more of those delicious, pungent hops. Earthy, deep and roasty. So complex and satisfying. I've heard good things about this selection, but I wasn't expecting it to be this fantastic.

What a mouthfeel. Thick and creamy with a juicy, dense, syrup feel. It's essentially like sipping extremely tasty, aromatic motor oil but with a slight fluffy feel in the finish. This is one to savor, especially on a chilly, snowy nigh like tonight.

letsgopens, Mar 08, 2008
4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Holy God!!

Thanks to gkatsoris for the trade.

Pours pitch black, impenetrable to light. The beautiful head is what gets me right away. Nice thick mocha foam on top with incredible retention and great lace. My this smells good. Roasty and toasty. Just the way I like it. The taste on this is simply divine. Roasty toasty malts, nice coffee and chocolate flavors through the middle. followed by (IMO) the PERFECT amount of hop bitterness on the finish. This is one wonderful stout. The mouthfeel is flawlessly viscous and creamy. Drinkability cannot be beaten. I strongly recommend this stout to everyone. Anyone who doesn't think great beer can come out of a can, this beer will change your mind GUARANTEED!!!! (If you like impy stouts that is). Defenitely one of my favorite beers. This four pack is not going to last long. I'm going to Colorado. Honey! feed the dogs!

AKBelgianBeast, Mar 07, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance - Pitch black. Even when thinned, it's black. The head is practically black. Quite easily one of the darkest beers I've ever seen.

Smell - Roasty and dough-like, almost burnt, with just a touch of sweet molasses. Almost smells like burnt coffee with a few sugars in it when it warms up a bit.

Taste - Dark roasted coffee, chocolate cookies and burnt toast immediately spring to mind. Not much sweetness here, with earthy hops providing even more bitterness. Sharp, burnt bitterness remains on the palate long after you've swallowed. While this is easily one of the most imbalanced imperial stouts I've had, it's damn good. The dryness is almost refreshing, making this one dangerously drinkable beer.

Mouthfeel - Full-bodied, viscous, moderate carbonation. Definitely not lacking in texture.

largadeer, Mar 07, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer came my way from Beer Power Ball Week 2. Cant remember who sent it but big thanks to you!...

The beer was lightly chilled and poured from the can into an Imperial Pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours pitch black with no opaqueness to light. The head is the color of lightly creamed coffee. The head quickly resolves to a ring of foam.

Smell: The beer delivers an aroma of very well roasted coffee. Bitter sweet chocolate notes raise up from the glass in counter point to the roasted and charred malts. This beer is very promising.

Taste: The beer delivers the expected well roasted coffee flavors. This is accompanied by nutty dry cocoa flavors. I can just barely taste the ghost of dark fruits prunes and raisins. This gives way to warming peppery alcohol and flash of bitterness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The body of the beer is medium. The carbonation is low but appropriate. The has a pleasant smooth oilyness. This is a dam fine RIS. I enjoyed the beer from the moment I poured it into the glass. Well played Oskar Blues.

nlmartin, Mar 06, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a very dark brown/black with fine, thick brown head into a wine glass. Very nice appearance. I am reviewing this beer without knowing what it is, so I hope I can provide an unbiased opinion.

Smell is nice and thick, rosty, with lots of chocolate. Fairly subdued, though. I like it. The initial taste is tame, with a good balance of chocolate and roasty malts. I like it quite a bit. The aftertaste hits with a brutal alcohol punch that last for quite some time. Now that my palate has been destroyed, I don't expect to ever taste those subtle malts again.

On second taste, the malts on this one have a very intricate sweetness. I almost taste bubblegum. Very intriguing. This is a great stout.

Overall: I don't know what it is yet, but I hope I get the chance to buy more. Just for kicks, I am going to guess what I think this one is before looking. Ok, I think it is the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout... Ok, I was way off. This one isn't nearly as intense. I forgot I had this one in the back of the fridge. Wow, what a great beer.

bassmantin, Mar 06, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -3%

obtained from oak tree buy rite (of course)

eyes...
from a can (oooohhh ahhh)
"impressive, most impressive" - darth vader
a good full finger of head (cocoa colored) rises up and clings to the sides of the glass not wanting to let go. no light penetrates this beast, lacing is excellent, the head is made up of a nice pack of microbubbles on the surface/glass edge. the head is sticking around while I type all this BS. hell.. yeah..

nose...
dark bitter chocolate mixed with dark bitter coffee (no sugar or cream), I also get some prune/raisin notes, whew.. the odor is BRINGIN' it. not the most complex thing to pass under the schnoz but it is assertive. this reminds me Rogue's imp, and that is impressive.. can vs ceramic bomber.. wow...

taste etc...
the same bitterness in the aroma is there.. really walking the line between coffee and chocolate, the flavor is deep, this has such a nice punch flavor wise that you might miss the body being a bit too light for the style, this drinks wayyy too easy for that reason.. and also the alcohol is completely behind the curtain, the flavor is very rich, I am digging it, despite the body not being what I want it is hard to complain about this beer... man the flavor is deep as rosie o'donnel's .. nevermind...

verdict?
a really good beer (really), recommended. it wasn't cheap, I would probably still default to Old Rasputin given availability/price but this one is worth seeking out if you like the style. I really enjoyed this beer and almost feel guilty for nit picking it's bad points. The bad points here are almost an afterthought really.

Ego, Mar 05, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks to RoBotGod for this beauty.

Poured from a can a none-more-black with a thick rich chocolate malt head.

Aroma of chocolate, dark fruits, molasses, nuts, and booze.

Tastes of dark chocolate, dark fruit, and roasted malts. Noted lots of hops in the finish. The alcohol is in there and it shows.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, slightly slick, and mildly carbonated.

This is quite the enjoyable RIS from Oskar Blues and perfect for a cold snowy night. I'll definitely have this one again when given the chance.

Monkeyknife, Mar 05, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours pitch black, completely opaque with a good size dirty brown head. The lacing is apparent throughout and a darker shade of brown. The smell is nutty with dark malts and some light chocolate and some spent coffee beans. The flavor is again heavy with the dark and chocolate malts, and the coffee is a bit more evident here. I catch the smallest hint of some bittering hops, but one of the things this beer dose well is hide the heat. I would think it was 8% if I diddnt know better. The carbonation is light. making the mouthfeel light for the style, and the drinkability is right up their fro the RIS. This is without a doubt the best beer I have ever had out of a can.

dickieb, Mar 05, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -3%

A- Pours absolutely pitch black... this is one of the darkest beers I have ever encountered. A very thick, creamy brown head forms and has wonderful retention. This is a mean looking beer.

S- Chocolate, some coffee, and nutty. Am I nuts, or do I get hints of raspberry in there too? Good, but not terribly complex.

T- Smokey, chocolate, coffee, nutty. Bitter, but not in a hoppy sense. Not all that intense, which is not a bad thing. Pretty subdued and subtle- which seems to be one of this breweries stronger points.

M- Wickedly smooth. This is wonderfully done. This almost seems as if it was half nitro/ half CO2. This really helps the drinkability.

D- Rich, but very smooth and tasty. Very impressive for the style. Not the best I have had, but thoroughly enjoyable.

david131, Mar 04, 2008
4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into a snifter. Ten Fidy poured a deep black, like old motor oil, with a nice rich tan head that lingers for a little bit, with some light lacing. Aromas are of molasses, sweet malts, caramel, toffee, coffee and dark cocoa. Tastes are of coffee, rich chocolate, strong alcohol tons also linger. Some hop characteristics, but the malts just take over. Very complex. Mouthfeel smooth, creamy, and a little thick. Mild to low carbonation level. Outstanding stout, not a session beer by any means, but I could drink this consistently.

paulthebeerguru, Mar 03, 2008

Poured from can into Duvel tulip snifter.

Appearance: I know it's overused, but this stuff really does look like the aftermath of a long overdue oil change. Black brown that swallows light and allows none to penetrate. Very thin cocoa head.

Smell: Nutty. Roasted coffee. A hint of burnt chocolate. Not very strong though.

Taste: Lots of earthy bitterness like unsweetened chocolate. Alcohol. Finishes bone dry. Flies in the face of a lot of imperial stouts in that there isn't the creaminess and sweetness at the finish. There's lots of bitter and burnt here along with hops hiding away. Somehow given all that it's still appealling.

Mouthfeel: Oily and thick. Carbonation not really a presence. Covers the palate, but then disappears with that dry finish.

Drinkability: Given the boldness of the taste and high ABV one Ten Fidy will be enough for a sitting.

Overall: It's a compelling beer but definitely not for everyone. There will be plenty of RIS fans who will take a pass on this one, but you should at least try it once. In all honesty it could use something extra, maybe a touch of sweetness, to balance out the bitterness and sharp edges.

I picked up a 4 pack and the other 3 will last me a long, long time. It's a bit like a really strong rauchbier in that respect; even though it's good you need it only on occasion.

3leggeddub, Mar 03, 2008
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a smallish goblet, presented a dark black color with a finger of dark chocolate brown foam. Lacing splotched all over the glass, and lasted for as long as I nursed this drink. Rich smell, which carried over into the flavor. Almost a little too bitter, but in a good way; I would compare it to a really well made espresso. Thick on the tongue with a full body. Not an everyday beer, but nice as a dessert. Quintessential stout.

KiltedCulinarian, Mar 03, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

...pauses... *did I just open up a can of motor oil?*

Nope. Out of a black and silver can, pours thick as sludge, dark and viscous as oil, no head, a few bubbles, looks menacing. Then, slowly, a head forms to half an inch, a very dark frothy one at that, one of the darkest heads I've ever seen. Lacing is left in large splotches all up and down the glass.

The aroma isn't as intense as I'd imagined it, but still loads of roasted malt, molasses, dark chocolates, slight bit of alcohol is evident.

The taste is also not as intense as I'd imagined, but still damn good. Actually, I've had a spate of RIS's of the not-so-in-your-face persuasion, and I"m liking it. Again, darkly roasted grains take it out of the gate, molasses and chocolates in collusion, some nicely roast coffee notes coupled with kind of a woody campfire feel, like sm'ores, minus the marshmallow. This is all with a smooth as velvet body with a full feel and fine carbonation, a very nice mouth to it.

In sum, I wish there were more umph to this beer, I really had to focus to get everything, which isn't in character with the style, imo. On the other hand, I could probably sit down with a sixer of this beer as if it were a hefe in June. An impressive feat for the style, and a very tasty beer.

Thanks to shuajw for this one.

objectivemonkey, Mar 03, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to drmatt, miketd, tytoanderso and BlackForestCo for cans. I made sure to spread the love among friends!
Pours black as oil with a small brown head in a snifter. Oats, chocolate, cocoa powder and something creamy almost like peanut butter, in the nose. Taste was dry baking chocolate, bittersweet cocoa powder, some creamy oats, but drying. Body was thick, creamy and oily, yet quite drying in the finish making for a unique experience on the palate. Mild bitterness, alcohol was very well hidden, and a slight chalky aftertaste. A great roasty big beer all around.

JDV, Mar 02, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -3%

I poured a 12 ounce (355 ml) can, received in a trade from iconoklaztor, into a mug.

A: It poured a thick, black as ink body with a two finger sticky head that as it receded suppored a beautiful, rich full curtain of lace.

S: It had aromas a dark roasted malts, bitter chocolates, expresso, dark spices, and piny hops. The aroma were pleasant but not as pronounced as I expected

T: It had a bitter-sweet chocolate flavor followed by a bold coffee flavor driven by sharp and bitter hops. There were hints of licorice, molasses, and dark fruits and spices.

M: It was full-bodied with a burnt malt and espresso coffee sweet and bitter profile. It finished dry and clean with only a small sour aftertaste.

D: It was too rich and full-bodied to be a session drink, however, it is a great one and out brew worthy of repeated sampling.

dnichols, Mar 02, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

12 oz can

pours nicely viscous and black, no evidence of light at the edges of my Stone IRS glass. The head is quite dark brown and looks beautiful, tall and sticky, leaving exceptional rings of lace on one side, and spots with every sip on the side I'm drinking out of. Eventually it fades to a quarter inch of edge-clinging foam before refusing to die completely.

Nose falls short of the beauty of the pour, the complexity of the taste, and the creaminess of the mouthfeel, but enticing and reasonably full, just short of some of the aroma-heavy big stouts. Plenty of heavily roasted and charred malt here, heavy coffee aroma, some chocolate, hints of dark fruit. Sweetness is very dark molasses. Almost smoky. Not quite my favorite, but there's nothing to dislike here. Alcohol noted here only as it warmed to room temp. Well put-together.

Can't decide whether the taste or mouthfeel is better. So creamy and full bodied - very dense! Carbonation is soft, the herbal hops and charred malt adding sizeable bitterness that sticks around on the palate but falls short of obtrusive. Not quite dry, but well short of sticky. So full of heavily roasted goodness. Chocolate sticks out a bit more here than in the aroma; fruit remains light, almost an afterthought compared to the roastiness. Alcohol heat not noted on the palate or throat, but the stomach is notably warmed by midglass.

A sipper to be sure...one I must have more of. With just a bit more of the dark fruit coming through here I'd be tempted to give this a 5 for taste. Excellent and highly recommended!

udubdawg, Mar 01, 2008
2.08/5  rDev -52.5%

This beer pours thick like gasoline, and I must say it tasted like it as well. Way to syrupy and bitter for my taste. Couldn't detect any distinct flavors.. just thick and bitter.

The level of carbonation was not great either. Just a thick, cloudy, syrupy mess. I would not have this beer again, and I would definitely not suggest this beer to anyone.

alysmith4, Mar 01, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Some how I missed this at the Extreme Beer Fest this year, so I had to pick it up. It pours an inky black, completely opaque when held up to the light. There is a nice deep brown head that lingers leaving a dirty looking lacing down the glass. The aroma is dominated by deep chocolate and roasted malt, with just a hint of caramel. The flavor is just a bit sweet with tons more dark and black malts. There is some hop bitterness but its hard to differentiate from the astringency from the dark malts. The carbonation is light but fine for the style. This is all around a great imperial stout and a good deal too.

ericj551, Mar 01, 2008

All good. Black with very little dark reddish areas under light. Thin tan head. Aroma of roasted malts, hops and alcohol in good balance. Combined it produces a licorice smell that I get in my more preferred Imperial stouts. Flavor is a repeat of the aroma which is good - I love when beer tastes as good as it smells (when it smells good that is). Full body that is at the same time easy going in the drinkability dept. Roasty finish with a dash of coffee, chocolate and hops. Yes yes ya'll, very nice.

dedrinker, Feb 29, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce can. 20 ounce "tulip" shaped pint glass.

A - Brew pours out motor oil black. About a half finger of dark tan head is on there. Beer is completely opaque.

S - Nice smell of sweet malts.

T - Taste is of roasted malt all the way. A great dark malt taste. Tiny tinge of sweetness then a black coffee/espresso flavor kicks up. Some hops noticeable on the background. Coffee aftertaste lingers.

M - A very full, heavy bodied beer which is the only way to go for a stout so full of black coffee bitterness.

D - A nice sloooow sipper, but a brew that keeps you coming back. Great after dinner drink. Good for relaxing on a cold night as well.

EStreet20, Feb 29, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

How have I not had this alread? I have seen it on the shelves many times...maybe the $15 price tag...maybe its ease of obtainment? However, wow.

A: pours a murky jet black thick and creamy sounding as it hits the bottom of my Dogfish Head snifter. Very little carbonation as a thing dark brown head forms and dissapears quickly leaving thin lacing.

S: Wow! This is one of the most aromatic smelling brews I have had in a while. Strong smell of chocolate coffee with cherries in the background. A little bitter coffee hop aroma ties it together.

T/M: This thing just keeps getting better! Wow! I feel like I am drinking a slightly melted milk shake flavored with a heavy amount of espresso shots and added flavor shots of chocolate and cherries and dark fruit. Thick and velvety with just a wee touch of carbonation to keep it from being overly sticky in the mouth. Don't get me wrong, your palate is still covered in oily tasty chocolate and cherries, but just not overly so.

D: This is delicious. I could drink them all day. The flavor profile is so strong however one as someone that is not a fan of coffee may get tired of the taste.

dsigmon, Feb 29, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

I love the fact that this high end offering comes in a can. Perfect for places that don't allow bottles in.

I have been through Lyons a couple of times but never noticed this brewery. I will have to look it up next time.

Can pops with nearly no sound at all. Like a flat soda. Pours like motor oil. Completely black with a small brown head that seems to linger. Smell isn't as big as I expected. Chalk and chocolate combine with a touch of grassy hops.

First thing that I notice about the taste is that it isn't as big as I expected. Very smooth overall. Hops are present through out. The ending is a big blending of roasted malt and hops. Taste lasts for a good 25-30 seconds after the fact. Very little carbonation overall. This is a sipper. Thick, mouth coating feel to it.

More traditional in style and much different than others I have tried of late.

CharlesRiver, Feb 28, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A black ink-like spit comes out of the can as I crack it, splattering the top of the can and my finger. Cool. This stuff pours out as black as the label. Creamy chocolate milk head forms and slowly fades while clinging to the side of the glass as is sits. It smells of charcoal and deeply roasted coffee beans.

Thick lacing forms after each sip and then thins out a bit down the glass. It tastes great. Bitter, and dry. Roasted barley leaves gooey sensation on the tongue. The roasted malt character is strong and well balanced against the bitterness from the hops. I taste things like espresso, chocolate, charred oak, cherry and brandy. Alcohol is subtle in flavor, but quickly warming.

I really wonder of thats roasted barley, or oatmeal leaving this gooey sensation. I'm going to have to try an oatmeal stout soon. It makes the beer seem thick, but its more like an amped up dry stout, than a sweet stout. The carbonation is perfect.

This stuff is really worth trying if you find it. I could drink it for breakfast, but its great after dinner. It is very intense, so if you prefer beer that is easy on the palette, beware.

JackWeizen, Feb 28, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my New Belgium Goblet, Ten FIDY is pitch black with a medium sized, tight bubbled head that is a very dark tan and leaves heavy lace. It is rather still, without even a crack of carbonation when I popped the tab. Served about 60F.

Smell is extreamly fruity, sweet caramel with only a hint of roast lingering in the background. Yummy.

Taste is the total opposite of the smell, in that it is massively roasty and woody, barely bittersweet and lacking the esters on the nose. The aftertaste is astrigent and burnt, and *really* lingers in the back of my throat, in-spite of which there is a noticably clean balance that makes it more enjoyable then I've probably made it sound. There is also a hint of sweetness on the finish that reminds me of lactose. First sip was a little dissapointing, mainly from the difference of the aroma, but also b/c it seems to roasty. After a few sips, I was begining to become convert, although even by then end I though it a bit to roasty for my taste.

Mouthfeel is smooth and luscious. Body is medium for the style.

Drinkability is pretty good, but not bananas, like this beer. Still a bit more roasty then I'd prefer, which seems to hinder it's depth, but still very nice and enjoyable. Worth seeking out, particularly for the novelty of such a big beer in a can being so good (e.g. once it's poured you'll never be able to tell it was canned).

ccrida, Feb 28, 2008