Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Can into pint glass.

A= Motor oil black as hell color with a murky brown thick head

S= Coffee, roasted grains, bitter chocolate.

T= Almost mirrors the smell, the alcohol i not a shocking as you'd expect from 10.5%abv.

M= Very thick and heavy body.

D= Personally, I wouldn't have to many of this one, but it is a rich, enjoyable beer.

Overall, Great beer. I can definitely e what the hype is about. If you are a beer enthusiast, don't miss Ten FIDY. ;)

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance-Pours a slick, slick, motor-oil black into the glass, a few centimeters of darkly brown head rise and settle into a sticky film around the sides and into a swirl of mocha on the top. Big lacing as I swirl. Perfect RIS look.

Aroma-A bombardment of darkly roasted malts ascend from the snifter, chocolate and roasted malt is king here, chocolate fudge is the dominant aroma followed by medium-roast coffee and a withering smidgen of hops.

Taste-Initial wave of sweet to bittersweet chocolate fudge rushes over the palette and literally coats everything, this is quickly tempered by a withering piny hop quality that struggles and does everything in its power to keep things from becoming cloying, it succeeds. Undercurrents of coffee beans, black molasses and sticky pine-sap can be detected, maybe a hint of anise as well.

Mouthfeel-Now this is just perfect, super thick, viscuous, syrupy, mouth-coating and drippingly thick, perfect RIS consistency.

Drinkability-This keeps me coming back for successive sip after sip, it's pretty much as drinkable as a 10.5% RIS stout is going to get.

Notes-All in all, a damn near perfect RIS and one that always makes me look forward the the late fall/early winter; it isn't the season until I've had some Ten Fidy in my snifter.

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

Ten FIDY, how I love thee. I've had you from cans in my Great Divide ballon glass at my house in Austin. I've brought you as my "I'm a badass" beer out of a can while floating the Comal River. Now, I had a 2009 version of you at the Falling Rock Taphouse and I couldn't help but review you (served in a St. Bernardus chalice).

This beer is always shockingly beautiful. At the tap house, it came without much of a head, but it had an impressive oily layer across the top. This beer looks like the death of light. I feel bad for any beams that happen to cross its path. They will never escape the black hole that is this beer. When I've had it at home, it produces a nice light brown head with some tight bubbles. If I could give this beer a 6 on appearance, I wouldn't hesitate.

This beer is a toasty behemoth. Smells like chocolate and burnt goodness. The hop presence wasn't there as much for the 2009, but it's definitely there when I've had it at home. You can tell from the nose alone that this will be a huge beer experience.

Thie taste is surprisingly balanced. Always roasty as all heck, but not overpowering. The 2009 had a great dark crystal dopplebock type quality. Mmmm.... fruity. The booze isn't hidden here. The hops always show up to the party in the fresher vintages. Just well balanced and inviting. It's not the ass kicker that the smell and look suggest, it's much more of a sensitive, but powerful force.

The high booze feel gives it a great thick and warming quality. Excellent for a 10 degree winter night. The beer works its way around, coating my whole mouth. Such a great feeling. While it's a huge beer, I never have a hard time finishing the glass / can and I would never mind getting another (unless it's already warm from being in the sun on the river :) ).

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

Picked up an 8.5-ounce portion of this stuff on tap at my local taphouse of choice, Duckworth's. $4.50 for this fairly small pour. Whatever, it's a Ten Fidy, I have a little extra cash in my pocket, I've been wanting to try her for quite some time. I can splurge every now and then.

Appearance is about as dark as they come, something I guess I should have expected...yet didn't, somehow. At any rate, nearly zero penetration of UV rays. I like that. Seems like a very rich beer, and at 10.5%, it had better be.

The smell churns up images of coffee, chocolate with an extremely high cocoa content, licorice, and perhaps something even toasty. That's probably the malt poking its head through.

It tastes surprisingly sweet. Malty as hell; probably one of the maltiest I've ever had. I'm a hophead, but every now and then, a beer like this a welcome change.

Not much carbonation. Would've liked a little more. I'm sure the lack of it isn't a testament to the freshness of the beer; merely so much hops that really nothing can be done.

This stuff has the potential to knock me on my ass. Fortunately, I'm going to stop after this small portion.

Good beer. Not my style, but certainly an excellent...ah, yes, "Russian Imperial Stout." I'd congratulate Oskar Blues, but I'm pretty sure everyone and their mother already has.

3.87/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from the 12-oz can into tulip glass.

A: Black, like used-motor-oil-black. It is hard not to notice during the pour that the beer appears to have the consistency of syrup. The head is small and limited, but lacing appears at the top of the fluid as light-brown lace.

N: Coffee and oatmeal--not a very strong nose.

T/M: What it lacks in the nose it makes up for in taste! Coffee and chocolate syrupy goodness! The flavor is very stand-upish. Thick mouthfeel, very much like syrup--a bit of a bourbon touch in the middle with a plum/prune backdrop. The beer is fairly drinkable--the alcohol is not over-bearing, which allows the flavor to flouorish--but it is very heavy and filling.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured into a regular pint glass. The deep dark color shows a love of quality malt that one comes to expect from OB. I have had this beer once or twice before, but I enjoy it so much that I have review it. This is one of those cold night brews. You know the one you can open while watching football as the snow is falling outside. The aftertaste lingers with you in a sweet chocolate notes. And the mouthfeel of this brew is honestly enough to win it all the awards it has garnered already. Don't try to have too many in one sitting, but it is very much worth a try.

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

On tap at Duckworths in Charlotte.

Appears quite dark and sinister. Brown head but not much of it. Laces the glass decently.

Roasted espresso and some charred smokyness in the nose.

Taste is pretty monstrous. Lots of charryness with plenty of roasted malt and espresso flavor. Still a bit of fruityness and apple brandy flavor hidden in there as well.

This one is a big boy in the mouth with the right amount of carbonation teetering on the low side. Leaves my mouth coated and happy.

Drinkability is dangerously good but at the abv it will take its toll for sure!

4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

A: F-ing incredible. Black as they come with a very dark head to match. Bubbles look like nitro, not sure what the story is, but looks good either way. Lacing is top notch as well. I wish I could give this more than a 5.

S: Big punch upfront that's sweet, rich and roasty with a hint of vanilla. Smoky and boozy once you dig a little deeper.

T: Sweet sugariness and vanilla are intensified. Smoky in the aftertaste. Sticky syrup and alcohol linger on the palate. Black coffee comes through in the after-aftertaste.

M: Like butter baby.

D: As good as it is, I have to take a break after a while. A great one to share.

4.11/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz cans from EBI.

dark as hell. makes a nice brown head with a steep pour. when coming out of the can it looks like liquid from a horror movie, pouring out the mouth of a zombie.

a fruity sweetness...roastiness

roasty sugary goodness. satisfying in the flavor intensity. caramel, vanilla. bitterness at the very end.

viscous, perfect.

rough. it is heavy and flavorful, and strong. personally i'd rather it this way than light and drinkable.

almost a cult classic? oskar blues is known for making good beers in a can. not just a marketing ploy! great stuff.

4.95/5  rDev +13%

After hearing so much praise, i figured it to be the right time to finally have a Ten Fidy. With the weather slowly changing in these late november nights, what better companion than a delicious Imperial Stout?

Appearance: Incredibly dense, black, impenetrable body. A nice head, the color of creamy coffee rises and quickly dissipates. Some lacing, and certainly lots of "tiny bubbles."

Smell: Right off the bat, black licorice seems to be the dominant smell. Along with this is the definite hint of dark fruits, bittersweet chocolate, but most predominantly black licorice.

Taste: In the taste there are elements of chocolate and licorice again in the beginning. In the middle theres a slight bitterness, favoring the chocolate flavor; which transforms into a chocolaty coffee taste towards the end. The aftertaste left in my mouth reminds me of a flavored coffee (i.e. a froofy choloclate mocha whatever etc...). The malt and hop interplay in this beer is really nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel: Not too thin, not too light. Nice carbonation without being too powerful. Slight chewiness. Overall, Great mouthfeel!

In all I've been very pleased with the Ten Fidy. I'm glad to have found another great Imperial stout which is relatively easy to find and exceptional drinking...

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Review from notes taken on 9/15/10.

On tap at Al's via the beer gas nitro blend and server in a nonic. Appears blak in color with a severely dark brown to tan head that quickly dissolves.

The aroma is dark chocolate with a twang of citrus hop character. Some alcohol is evident along with a light mineral quality. The alcohol imparts a fruit-like scent that increases in intensity as the brew warms.

A very pleasant blend of bitter roast verse chocolate sweetness hits the tongue. Taste of bitter chocolate couple with citrus bitter hops adds a nice layer of complexity. The alcohol is apparent despite a fairly cold serving temperature and adds a dark fruited character like raisins or plums soaked in alcohol. A twinge o flavor almost like liquorice is evident with some minor yeasty notes.

Overall a solid brew, quite a roasty bugger that is very bold and enjoyable but blends very well with all the flavors incorporated and a nice contrast of sweetness verse bitterness. Medium to full bodied with a modest level of carbonation. It is very enjoyable and I would have it again. It leaves a lingering aftertaste of sweet dark chocolate coupled with bitter grains hops and alcohol. I'm not sold on the nitro presentation altering much of this experience. If anything it might be perceived as a bit smoother in the feel than the norm but not 100% smooth like all nitro could.

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

I am not pouring this in a glass. Rather, I am drinking it out of the can since it is one of the few beers I will drink in a can.

A - From what I can see, extremely dark black with a small brown head retention. Obviously pouring this in a glass would make a difference.

S - Lots of Caramel and toffee. Subtle chocolate.

T - Lots of smoke flavors. This could be quite hot on the palate depending on how experienced you are with Russian Imperial stouts (as in alcohol taste). Very Creamy and toasty. Obviously an abundance of malt. Sip and enjoy this winter time brew.

M - Thick with an oatmeal stout mouthfeel. I wouldn't be surprised if this were an imperial oatmeal stout. I hope Rasputin doesn't scoff at me.

D - Two pints is quite enough. Three or more is asking for a rather harsh morning, so you better have time to sleep in. This is a great beer regardless.

Overall, a great winter time Russian Imperial Stout. This is my go-to stout during the Winter when I am out and about. Dark Lord and Hunahpuhs are obviously Gods of the Stout Genre, but they are extremely limited, obviously. If it is November through February, chances are I am drinking Ten Fidy if I am drinking Stout.

4.48/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to ewright for this one.

Poured in to Duvel tulip.

A - Poured dark black; thick; one finger of medium brown head.

S - Dark roasted malts, cocoa, licorice, dark fruit. Some hop bitterness.

T - Dark roasted malts, cocoa, espresso & faint hints of dark fruit and licorice. A nice but not overwhelming hop bitterness in the background.

M - Medium body, silky, chewy.

D - Remarkably drinkable for the ABV. This will become a regular in my cellar as long as I can find it.

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

A: Ten FIDY is jet black with a dark tan head that leaves ample lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma is of roasted malt and chocolates. Very inviting.

T: Simply put, Ten FIDY is unbelievable. In my humble opinion, this is one of the best Russian imperial stouts around. This absolutely belongs in the discussion with many of the special release stouts that are so highly coveted. The flavor is so ridiculously smooth and rich, it's hard not to gulp the beer down within minutes after pouring it. What the beer lacks in complexity, it atones for with irresistible and delectable flavor.

M: The mouthfeel is flawless. The double digit alcohol percentage is masked so gracefully, it puts a smile on my face. The beer coats the palate with rich, creamy, buttery stout and finishes with a delicate warming sensation. Extremely well done.

D: Keep it coming. A must have for the imperial stout lover. Highly recommended.

Poured into a snifter.

A - pours out of the can like motor oil and settles in the glass with a thick dark brown head. Outstanding!

S - a ton of roasted malt, coffee, burnt brown sugar, chocolate and molasses.

T - same as nose - huge malt presence, coffee, chocolate and oak.

M - very thick and sticky, good carbonation.

D - damn fine flavors, no burn or hint of alcohol. I know it's there though, and it's going to slow me down after one or two. I wish I could keep going!

Drink this beer!

3.95/5  rDev -9.8%

Had from a can dated 29 Oct 2009. Very good, with rich dark color. Poured no head and drank well with flavor notes of coffee and for some reason hints of roasted nuts. Kinda pricey but for a brew of this caliber reasonable to say the least! Tasted great and had an alcohol content to compliment. If you are planning on having more than one dont plan on driving.

4.29/5  rDev -2.1%

A. A hard pour left me with with nothing but a black glass and some inkling of blood red foam
S. Coffee and booze were the first scent to hit my nose. Enough so that I decided to check to ABV. 10.5%. Shoulda drank this one first.
T. My first RIS, and its a far cry from stouts I've had before. The taste proved my nose knows, coffee chocolate booze and black licorice. Basically if its a black or dark brown food, its in this beer.
IMO it got better with a little time in the glass. Could be the taste could be the 10.5% playing with your taste buds.
M. The lowest score of this beer for me. The booze kind of lingers in your mouth. Kind of like after you rinse with scope that feel on your tongue.
D. If you take away the mouthfeeling and you set aside a chunk of time and don't rush this beer its delicious.

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

Wow, best stout I've ever had in a can. This thing pours black, black, black. I poured hard knowing the high alcohol would probably lead to lower carbonation - I was right here - just a small head. The smell is a heavy mix of coffee, brown sugar, and alcohol. This is a sipper - each sip coats and overwhelms the tongue. I taste chocolate, coffee, brown sugar, and alcohol. The flavors meld in a good way and take turns as you swallow each sip. Definately opens up with the alcohol as it warms. Mouthfeel is super thick and coating. I can only have one of these but will go back for more when I recover from this one. Great beer and definately a good choice for days like today where I just want to stay out of the snowstorm outside.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

On tap from brewery.

A- Thick, dark jet black motor oil color with dark tan creamy head that fades fast and leaves sea foam lace.

S- Dark cocoa, Deep whiffs of roasted malts, hints of black coffee and licorice.

T- roasted coffee, dark molasis, hints of cocoa, licorice in the finish.

M- Heavy, creamy, slightly chalky.

D- Definitely a sipper, but rich and complex. Thick and chewy, a bit chalky. High alcohol makes it a sipper, but it isn't boozy. Alcohol well hidden. One of my favorites.

4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

12oz can poured into Maudite tulip

A - Very vigorous pour (on purpose) gave me a very small, dirty teeth yellow head that left in less than a minute. Used motor oil black.

S - Semi weaker nose, roast coffee, chocolate, alcohol

T - Roast coffee, some molasses, bitter chocolate and a nice finish of black licorice.

M - Very heavily bodied, semi creamy and hot from the alcohol.

D - This beast is most definitely a sipper, delicious, but takes some time!

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

A - It's obsidian. Opaque through the middle with the tiniest ability of light to pass through around the edges. Pour as vigorous as you like, you won't get a head on this viscous bad boy.

S - You can really smell the alcohol in here, but hey, this is a legit high gravity beer so you're getting what you pay for. The other smells are licorice, hops and mocha coffee cocao (yes, all three).

T - Having recently had actual molasses, I can confidently say ths is the beer equivalent. (I know fermented molasses is really rum, but I'm talking flavor not distillery/brewery science.)

M - This is so viscous it's almost hard to swallow, but if I don't swallow it I don't get to drink any more. That would be a tragedy.

D - You can have one of these. You want another? Well you can't appreciate it if you try to have more than one at a time! You'll like the one you have, but you shouldn't have another. If one wasn't enough it's YOUR fault, not the beer's.

4.48/5  rDev +2.3%

A - I thought the Yeti Imperial Stout by Great Divide was dark, but wow. Think about how a black hole sucks in light, and that is about how black it is. Pours with a dark brown head that fades fairly quickly.

S - Dark chocolate, coffee and alcohol. I don't find it overpowering at all though.

T - Sweeter than I expected, but in a good way. The sweetness helps it balances the beer out very well. If the sweetness wasn't there it would be a little much. The alcohol brings a very nice warming characteristic.

M - Thick and chewy. Almost a creamy feel to it. Slightly grainy, but nice.

D - Not for the beginning beer drinker. I love stouts so it was amazing to me. I can't see myself drinking this in the summer, but given the right time of year it is an amazing experience.

It is definitely worth the money

4.39/5  rDev +0.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a John Smith's snifter. "Canned with Care 10-27-09"

It pours a nearly jet black with a 1 finger dark mocha head. The head dies fairly quickly leaving just a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.

The nose is deep and rich filled with alcoholic chocolate. The alcohol is nice and warming, absence of harshness. There isn't much of a roasted character at all.

The taste is really great, it's rich and full of sweet sweet chocolate. Much like the nose the roast character is very low but I think, coupled with some hop bitterness, lends a contrast to the sweetness so it isn't overwhelming and cloying. There is just a hint of a nice mild coffee flavor and licorice at the end. It's really a great beer.

Mouthfeel is just amazing. Although it has a nice carbonation level the mouthfeel is liquid velvet, just coats the mouth and doesn't let go. The strength of the beer can be tasted but it's not distracting, it's just great. Drinkability is above average for the style but because of the fuller mouthfeel this beer lends itself to be a nice sipper and enjoyed for a good 30-60+ minutes. Just wonderful.

3.59/5  rDev -18%

Pours blacker and thicker than anything I've ever seen. Motor oil comes to mind. No highlights whatsoever. There's a half-finger head from an absurdly aggressive pour (about 2 feet from can to glass). Wish there was more head, it's a beautiful cedar-colored bubbly layer that sat around atop the beer for about 30 seconds. Smells as dark as it looks, with mocha, dark chocolate, and roasted grain dominating the nose. The first sip is predictably thick. There's a massive roasted barley flavor, coffee & dark chocolate blending into sort of a mocha character that finishes bitter and warm.

4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

Cellared Update:
One year old Ten FIDY: canned on 10/09/10, consumed on 11/03/11.

Aroma is a bit sweeter. Not as grainy. Fruity with more of a chocolate note. Roasted aspect seems to have subsided a bit but leaves plenty of chocolate and coffee goodness. Not as hot. This past year has treated this beer very well.

Original Revew:
Fresh Ten Fidy, about a month old.

Blacker than black, truly one of the darkest beers I've ever seen. A dark coffee colored head slowly develops to be a bout 1 finger thick but faded away too quickly for my liking.

Aroma is full of a roasted grain scent and lots of underlying aromas. Dark chocolate, coffee, and hints of a fruity sweetness.

Lots of flavor going on here. Roasted barley makes this a bit grainier than expected but still lots of chocolate and coffee flavors going on. Again, a slightly sweeter fruitiness comes in at the finish.

Mouthfeel is full, chewy and smooth. Overall, Ten Fidy is tough to beat for widely available stouts. Not the cheapest but worth the extra few bucks.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew