Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured black with some dark brown/ruby highlights into a tulip. A one finger brown head formed. Not much in the way of head retention and some lacing.

Smell of burnt malt, dark fruit (cherry, fig, and dates) with a slight hop profile. A sherry like quality in the nose.

Big maltly sweetness upfront follow by big maltly sweetness. Chocolate, burnt coffee, dark fruit, and hops. Hops only bitter the beer.

Mouthfeel is heavy. Lower carbonation only lends to it. Viscous body and well masked alcohol makes this one of the more drinkable RIS.

brantadid, Jan 16, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours motor oil black with a very small but nice deep chocolate brown head.

Mouthwatering smells of vanilla and sweet roasted malts.

The dark chocolate taste is amazing. Bittersweet, vanilla, and a bite of alcohol with a touch of hops that finishes nicely.

Smooth and creamy this is definitely my kind of stout.

One to keep coming back to. My motor oil of choice this 10% social lubricant will keep me runnin for 5000 miles for sure.

bfields4, Jan 16, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Found single cans at Capone's in Norristown.

Appearance: Normal pour into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass yielded a small, 1/2 finger tan head with little retention. Decent lacing. The blackest of black that let through no light.

Smell: Not much aroma to it, unless you really get your nose up in it. Some chocolate notes, a touch of vanilla as well.

Taste: Some dark fruit notes, as well as chocolate notes, dark roasted malt notes, vanilla, maybe a little coffee bean flavor. Some sweetness to it that builds as it warms but is pretty well balanced with the roasted coffee backbone.

Mouthfeel: Very very smooth. Creamy. Thick. The best part of this particular beer.

Drinkability: As with most, if not all stouts, its a sipper. Pretty filling, but I could definitely have more than one in a sitting.

My first taste of what Oskar Blues has to offer, and I'm impressed. One of the better RIS's i've had.

Ezekiel81923, Jan 15, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Wow. I thought I'd found all I could ever find in a stout or a porter until I tried this one. When I see it coming out of the tap it reminds me of The Beverly Hillbillies - "Black gold, Texas tea. Well the next thing you know old Jed's a millionaire". This stuff is black, black, black!!! Very dark brown head that subsides quickly but leaves plenty of lacing. It shouts ROASTED MALT at you from ten feet away. It's like drinking an old ash tray, but in a good way. Somewhat sweet. Almost no carbonation. It really is like motor oil. Liquid engineering. I couldn't drink more than one of these in a session, but that's the way it should be. You don't drink port all night, you finish off the evening with it.

omnigrits, Jan 15, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to the generous LIF from jasonjlewis, I'm getting to give this one a try.

A very aggressive pour straight into the middle of my tulip glass yields about a finger's worth of dark tan head that disappears to a skim in short order, but still leaves pretty decent lacing. Underneath is an imposing body the color of used motor oil- dark as hell.

The smell isn't very powerful, but there's a nice blend of chocolate chip cookies, vanilla and dark roasted malts. Incredibly viscous and velvety mouthfeel, and it's pretty tasty, too. Dark roasted malt, big chocolate flavors, bit of vanilla, bit of coffee, dark fruits and a lingering alcohol warmth. Increasing sweetness as it warms is probably the only thing that will keep me from seeking this out on a repeat basis.

Overall impression: The crazy mouthfeel alone makes this an easy recommendation.

PDXHops, Jan 14, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

ok..used motor oil, thats what this is... any car person knows whats up... It's Sunday, fuckin sunday, your one day off a week and you fuckin deserve it. You work hard and you play hard, not only that you motherfucking drink hard too... Ten Fidy is the choice tonight... your crest on your chest, the dark black stuff is smooth, maybe too much so... I want to see this beer in the mainstream... on racing cars in the strets of milan, david beckham shotgunning tins on the corner, the pope doing cartwheels in a Farrelly brother movie starring brad pitt ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GplLqg-EwoI ) and the olson twins in heat.. . this beer is good..there.. dark as the night, tasty as hell, great aftertaste and such.. buy it ..worms..I got worms! We're gonna specialize in selling worm farms...thank you oskar blues.. great brews all around..axiom-carpe noctem... Come on United!!..

Onslow, Jan 14, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow!!! A very impressive RIS. Pours like well used motor oil, black with no hint of light coming through. A hard pour gives a nice size dark tan head that hangs in there about average for a 10% beer. Huge sheets of lacing down the glass. The lacing holds the same color as the head, dark tan.

Smell is pretty good, sweet, malty with a hint of vanilla.

Taste is outstanding: malt, sweet milk chocolate, toffee, vanilla and roasted coffee finish. There is no hint of the high abv. The sweetness merges into the overall rich and slightly oily mouthfeel, so the sweetness is never too much. The coffee in the finish adds a little bitterness.

The rich, creamy mouthfeel with a bit of slickness adds as much as the taste to the overall quality of this beer.

Drinkability is very good. I have had this beer before but have always opted for a second one, which made a review a moot point!!!

An excellent RIS...a must-have experience.

JayQue, Jan 11, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Picked up a can at Table & Vine in West Springfield, Mass. I had seen craft beers in can but never really took them seriously. I'd been hearing all about this Ten Fidy business and decided to check it out.

Pours a Wesley Snipes with a thick as balls mocha colored foamy head that leaves excellent lacing. Beautiful wall of cascading microscopic bubbles flow to the top of the glass.

Aroma of charr, dark chocolate, roasted malts, dark roasted crystal malts, dark fruit (prunes) a touch of black coffee and a hint of dry oak.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with a slick texture, very smooth.

Very nice flavor in this beer, sweet caramel/toffee flavor up from briefly with an overwhelming flavor in roasted malts, & creamy milk chocolate (Hershey's Kisses). The finish is nice, black patent (charred marshmallow) that is very subtle and not overpowering accompanied by a sting from the ABV. Dry with a black coffee after taste.

Overall this brew is OUTSTANDING! extremely smooth and drinkable Impy Stout despite high ABV.

Cheers!

SteveO1231, Jan 11, 2009
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - very dark, nice dark tan head
S - full bodied smell, a little nutmeg, a little oak, plenty of chocolate and coffee
T - great maltiness, finishes into a really nice hoppy bitter. i would have enjoyed a little more chocolate in the taste, but what was there was nice
M - good carbonation, thick, silky...
D - quite drinkable, above average for the style

Overall: Ten TIDY is a great beer, especially for the price. Don't let the can fool you - this RIS competes with the best of them. Well rounded characteristics make this a beer worth keeping on hand.

schroederm, Jan 09, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Nice deep black with no head and very little lacing and some nice swirls going on in the center of the snifter.

S: Coffee and a little big of chocolate hiding in there.

T: Like it smells. Very coffee like with some roastiness to go along with it.

M: Medium to full bodied and creamy.

D: I've got to enjoy Ten Fidy a couple times before but just scored a 4 pack from bhalter8 (thanks again Ben!) and thought I should review it. I wish I could get this stuff around here. I love that it comes in a can and I just love this beer!

drgonzo3705, Jan 09, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -8%

A - poured jet black from the can, nice coffee colored head when poured aggressively

S - dark chocolate, hints of vanilla, maybe a trace of nutmeg, tinge of black coffee

TM - sweetly malt bomb in the beginning and a nice bitter hoppy finish- Mouth feel has good carbonation and the alcohol warms on the way down finish is more hop bitter than roasted malts but both are still prevalent in the aftertaste., chocolate mentioned in smell not tasted at all. Almost silky body.

D- good beer balanced but leaves me feeling more like I had an IPA then a stout, good balance 10%ABV is hard to taste but would definitely catch up to you.

drnknmnky, Jan 08, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

One of the few out of region brews that we are lucky enough to have in the Pittsburgh area.

Appearance is a very dark and viscous looking brew. Carbonation was not present when opening the can, but managed to pour it into a small head anyway that gave way to a crown with decent lacing.

Nose is a lot of chocolate up front, toffee, caramel, and cream. Very nice in hiding the alcohol.

Taste is pretty good, disguising the alcohol well but surprisngly not very bold. The same tastes are what was present in the scents.

Mouth is great, pretty heavy in body and light in carbonation.

Drinkability is good as I would have this again, and it's novel to have a high quality brew in a can, however for your Russian imperial stouts, I may shop around a bit.

sonicdescent, Jan 08, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

First of all, this nasty SOB slapped me across the face with ink when I cracked it open. Sprayed my counter and my keyboard with its contents. I guess I've never cared because I haven't had something leave a stain so noticeable before.

Truly aggressive pour, like dumping out an ab from last summer that was left there by your brother in law when he borrowed your cooler. I was ignorant because I think the Duvel bulb allows you to be. I wanted to slam the gas pedal on this one as soon as I saw a 10% ABV RIS in a can. As if someone threw you the keys to their Camaro after they somehow managed to wedge a Ferrari under the hood. I was daring this fucker to make a move.

I know the appearance on this is none other than oil can contents, its no coincidence. I got a good inch and a half head on it that retreated within a minute or so. nice bubbles. reminds me of making barbeque sauce and forgetting to stir after you put in the molasses. it has some nice lacing, it looks like the curtains were dyed with buckets of coffee. Sumatran or Jamaican brewed strong.
smell is at first chocolate and then some caramel, burnt/malty smell at the end of the snuff. Coffee grounds in a handful of milkduds.

For the chocolate smell you get up front, it's really non-existent in the taste. The taste is strong coffee with a little burned something or other. I have to say that I somehow get licorice as it falls off my tongue. Right near the back of my tongue, and before I swallow, I can sense black licorice. Odd. I have either never detected that or couldn't put my finger on it from a RIS before, but that's what it is. I still get some milk dud, but its on the third sip and its surrounded by coffee and whispers the word "alcohol" on the way down my throat.

Not as heavy as I anticipated, but this didn't disappoint me. For everything else this was, it went down really easy.
I was quite shocked at how delightfully thin it was.

Drinkability? you bet your ass. this stuff is an instant favorite. I got it in a mixer because a friend purchased a four-pack, raved about it, and then the douchenozzle never shared one. I could see myself having more than one. Shit ,I drank half of it writing this, oops. I truly can't decide if two is too much, or if I can go for another. I have a solution, I only purchased one because I wanted to try some other winter ales that I hadn't seen before. oh well, I will be buying more.

How in world do they get this level of deliciousness into a can on a consistent basis? I have had Dale's and Old Chub before, and now this. I am truly blown away by OBB. Thank you for letting me enjoy more than a hockey game on a cold Tuesday night.

discovolante65, Jan 07, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to xpimptastikx for including this in our trade. 12oz can poured into my Duvel tulip.

Scary to see such a thick beer come out of a can, really threw me for a loop. Looks much like the Founders Imperial Stout, though the head remains a bit thicker but lasts just as long as the previous beer did. Not bad by itself, but there are so many prettier RISs out there.

Smell is a bit of phenols, cinnamon appears to be a player in this boquet. Not as hoppy as I was anticipating from a semi west-coast beer. Large amounts of caramel and butterscotch candy, so much so that the chocolaty aromas appear to be more of a compliment, rather than the main focus.

I'm really taken back by how absurdly malty this beer is. Yes it does display some characteristic hop fruitiness in the first few sips but they quickly die off and are replaced by a smooth and coating chocolate malt sweetness. I swear there is even a bit of pumkin pie spicy and sweetness mixed in with all the chocolate and caramel and butterscotch as well. One of the milder (so to speak) imperial stouts I've had recently. Much more malt focused than I ever would have anticipated.

I'm just glad that smell doesn't factor in that highly when compared with the overall score because this beer has a lot more to offer than looks. The aroma sort of reminds me of a dopplebock mixed with an imperial stout, the maltiness is that pronoucned. The alcohol is well hidden at 10% really only comes through in a mild warmth toward the middle and end of each sip. Meanwhile the intense roastiness, balanced by an epic malt sweetness make this an intensly quaffable brew. Glad I have more than one, but sadly only one left.

bluemoonswoon, Jan 06, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - Poured into a goblet out of a can. Black as coal, 1 finger head fell quickly. Beautiful

Smell - Very Sweet smell, hints of chocolate and coffee.

Taste - Very strong stout flavors. Starts very sweet then rushes into roasted chocolate and coffee. Very dark roasted flavors almost burnt flavors. Leaves a Toffee sweetness lingering. If there is any bitterness, it is not perceived.

Mouth feel - Thick. Very Smooth. Buttery but not enough to let the flavors pass bye. Leaves a brown hue on the glass after each sip.

Overall -This is a was a very complex and strong Stout. Its a sipper through and through. The flavors are almost to much, and it seems that time would be in its favor. But nothing is overpowering. Very Good Russian Imperial Stout.

DwnTwnBwn, Jan 05, 2009
4.3/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at TJ's in Paoli, served in a snifter

Appears an almost midnight black with a thick chocolate color head. No light is getting through this guy. It looks awesome in a snifter. A very little bit of lace is left behind.

A very pungent nose of cocoa powder, dark Belgian chocolate, coffee beans, and very mild grassy hops. A large overhang of alcohol leads me to believe this is going to be a huge beer.

Yup, just what I thought. A big huge beer that is surprisingly well-balanced. Roasted, slightly charred malt profile, chocolate and caramel. A small amount of dark fruits and a decently strong grassy, earthy hop profile. A long, lingering alcohol burn is noticeable.

Thick and creamy. A very huge beer.

This was one of the slowest beers I have ever drank. A nightcap indeed. The 10% abv is big and omnipresent throughout this experience.

ColForbinBC, Jan 05, 2009
3.7/5  rDev -15.5%

OMG! For a second I thought I was changing the oil in my old farm truck. This stuff is so black you can see time and space bend around the glass. There is a dark tan almost chocolate brown head that flattens quickly.

The aroma is very rich and inviting at first pour, but it calms far too fast. There is little to no lingering aroma to get a hold of, but my first impression was of something rich, decadent and almost Christmasy (brown sugar and spice).

The taste is smoky (almost a Rauchbier quality), mild hop, and a little licorice.

aeminter, Jan 05, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance - I totally agree with what others have stated, this looks like motor oil coming out of a beer can. Black with the slightest hints of brown on the edge. Darkest head I have ever seen in a thick brown mess - though there's very little of it even with an aggressive pour.

Smell - Smells a bit like a sweet rum mixed with some Chocolate. There's a tiny bit of coffee and even something I can only think is raisins.

Taste - Hmm... Chocolate, coffee, licorice, raisins, and toffee jump out you, and even the rum makes a slight appearance in flavor (perhaps I have rum on the mind or something... I sware its there though!) The bitter is very well masked in this one by the wide array of flavors, its only when you try to describe it to someone to you realize you have to include the bitter in there. (I let my girlfriend try it... bad idea.)

Mouthfeel - Viscous. Thick. Motor Oil? Despite there being very little in the way of a head, the carbonation is definitely present, though properly subdued.

Drinkability - If it wasn't for the in your face alcohol kick, this would get straight 5s. Its just a little too much to make this an "easy-drinking" beer. That being said, its still a very approachable RIS, and one that needs no help in finishing (unless you are trying to finish the whole 4-pack.) I'm not the biggest RIS fan, but this is one helluva brew.

Note: Check out your glass after you take a sip. This brew turns the side of the glass brown for a minute. Talk about thick. If there was such a term to describe it, I would borrow one from wine-lingo: legs.

sevopie, Jan 04, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

Finally got a chance to try this beer and it does not dissappoint. Pours with a gorgeous head so dark creamy and luxurious it is had to distinguish from the black oily body. Smell is dark chocolate with some coffee notes and this is echoed in the taste. No bitterness nor soy sauce offness detected at all. The body is pure Oskar Blues goodness - crushed black velvet in a glass. The alcohol becomes more than appearant as it warms, but this is a 10% impy stout - that is to be expected. An oily film is left in the glass as a testimony to the power contained within. All I was hoping for and more. A contender with Speedway Stout for the best Imperial Stout I have ever tried. Simply amazing

Onibubba, Jan 03, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

I laughed just a little as I poured this...a RIS in a can? I hope this trend continues. The top pops with little, if any, hints at carbonation. Upon pouring though, a frothy, brown head develops atop this viscous, black liquid. It's black, and the head is one of the darkest ones I've seen. After a few sips it yields to a ring of lace around the glass.

I get a lot of coffee in the aroma, charred malt and plums, raisins as well. The flavor has got all of that, in addition to layers of bittersweet dark chocolate and a resinous hop bitterness. Damn. Chocolate/dark fruit sweet leads to a lot of hop bitterness that lingers in the finish with the alcohol. A really stellar Imperial Stout.

Oksar Blues continues to impress me with their beers. This is now their fourth beer I've sampled from a can, and every one of them has been excellent. Strong stout lovers should seek this out.

IrishRedRock, Dec 31, 2008
4.38/5  rDev 0%

Got this one in a trade with fellow BA brewandbbq - big thanks for this one!

Poured this into my Duvel tulip. I like the bowl size on this glass for a stout, but I really need a snifter...

Love the can. Cracked it open and poured out motor oil. Wow this is thick. Dark black, with a minimal burnt brown sugar colored head, even with an aggressive pour. A few swirls and again, this is nice and thick.

The aromas coming from the glass can be smelled from several feet away. This has an awesome and strong nose. Loads of espresso, licorice, and toffee, and tons of dark roasted malts, followed by a nice boozy quality. Man, this smells great. I might just sit here with my nose in the glass all night! Post beer comment: I actually found the aroma rather overwhelming by the end of the beer.

Taste is not as much of a wow for me as the nose, but it's damn good! Great, even. Big roastiness, dark chocolate, dark roast coffee, and a hint of licorice to finish things up. Light on the boozy quality, actually, relative to the nose.

Mouthfeel on this is quite nice. Very smooth and creamy. Light carbonation. Long finish.

This has been a real treat. I couldn't drink a lot of these in a session, but I will certainly seek it out to get more. In fact, I have a trip to L.A. in a few days and I've already checked out Beerfly and found a spot to get more of this one. Looking forward to drinking two and letting two sit for a year or so to see what happens.

An odd note on this one, to finish my review. On my third sip, I caught a bit of this thick, gooey, dark black sludge right on my lower lip but it squirted out onto my shirt. What the hell? This was like some slimey black snot that must have come out of the dredges of the can. Honestly, for about a quarter of the beer, this weired me out, and I even thought about pouring the rest through a seive to make sure it was the last bit of it, but after a while I just forgot about it and just carried on. Looking back, pretty funnny, especially the nice spot on my shirt...

MacDomer, Dec 31, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a deep, opaque sable with minimal, fine-bubbled tan head. Rich, mocha-like aroma is just a bit sweet and a little smoky, and very appetizing. Superb coffee and chocolate flavor is mouth-filling and delicious, smoky and lively. Texture is thick and tingly so it satisfies on the way down the pipes.

Cyberkedi, Dec 30, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours ink black, with a bit of a satin sheen. The head is dense and dark brown. Great lacing and retention. This looks just perfect. Smells like sweet chocolate and alcohol. Good smells for an RIS, nothing outstanding or out of the ordinary. Oftentimes a good thing. The taste is great. The first taste is a bit harsh, but then the sweetness comes forward. You get the bitter roasted barley taste, the sweet chocolate taste, and a kick of alcohol. Again, there aren't really many out of the ordinary tastes, like licorice or fruit, at least not in the obvious places. You can find them if you search. The flavor is really well executed for the style, and the alcohol and any harsh flavors it may carry along are held in check. Really great complexity. I would never call this one-dimensional, but it doesn't try too hard or get muddled. I could really sit and savor this beer, but I just want to go back for more. I feel lucky to have another can, and can't wait for it to finally hit the shelves in Charleston full-time.

taylorhamrick, Dec 29, 2008
3.73/5  rDev -14.8%

Black color with a brown head that retains well and has excellent lacing. Smell has plenty of molasses and hops. Quite roasty in the nose as well. Taste starts out burnt and a little ashy, some molasses comes through, and then a hoppy, roasty finish. Light carbonation and medium body. Good beer, I'd like to see how this one ages. I could see myself getting more of this.

badbeer, Dec 28, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from the can into my 16oz. snifter at around 54 degrees.

A: This beer pours as thick as any I've seen, literally has the appearance of low viscosity motor oil. Thick 1-finger head leaves a light lacing.

S: Nose is a delicate, sweet dark and chocolate maltiness, with a faint alcohol. Robust aeration releases some dark fruits.

T: Sweet chocolatiness up front with a dark, bitter finish. I don't know if that's an anise spice in there toward the back, but the transition from sweet to bitter is REALLY nice.

M+D: I frankly was very surprised after the pour at how drinkable this beer was. That's not to say, however, that it's at all quaffable. Thick and syrupy on the tongue but not on the back of the throat. Thin carbonation propagates the viscous flavors nicely, but I'm probably looking to move on after twelve ounces of this bad boy.

Overall a great selection for the start of a Christmas evening. Drink it slow, and it opens up in some style as it warms.

misterdmac, Dec 25, 2008