Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Georgiabeer on 12-29-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ten FIDY Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

C. umm DARKNESS
H. Straight up black, pitch black, as black as Nigeria
N. Coffee coffee coffee, dark chocolate, pure awesomeness

Ever seen the commercials with the engine sludge? I think Oskar Blues found a way to CAN that stuff. OK, seriously I think I'm going to order this tomorrow morning at Starbucks. **NOTE** I'm not a fan of Imperial Stouts but this one caught my attention, maybe cause its in a can and I love that a good beer can come from a can. Although the taste is very good, strong like a double shot of espresso but calms down rather quickly. A MUST TRY!

4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

Batch #386
canned 12-31-08
"careful with this one"

Just picked this can up today from work and thought it was weird that i got a can over a year old. we just got this batch of cans into the store not to long ago. i dunno, guess we were just lucky.

A- Pours old engine oil black in color and thickness. a dark mocha colored head rises from the depths of this one a lingers for a while, finally settling after a couple minutes to leave some nice lacing.

S- Complex smells of bittersweet chocolate, coffee, as well as dark fruits, caramel, molasses and dark roasted malts.

T- Just as complex as the aroma. Heavy on the bittersweet chocolate and coffee up front, giving way to sweet caramel and molasses, finally finsshing of with some dark fruit and a touch of bitterness. warms the mouth wit alcohol but is very pleasing.

M/D- I'm dissapointed i didn't find this one earlier this year. full bodied and coats the palate very well. finish lingers for quite a while. Very drinkable for a beer of 9.5% ABV (dunno if this has to do with a year+ in the can).

Highly recomended.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

Received a 4 pack of this in a recent trade. I really wish we could get the Oskar Blues lineup here in Michigan as I would buy all of there beers frequently.

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass. This one plops into the cup more than it pours really, it's that thick. Looks like an imperial stout should in my opinion. Pitch black with no highlights and one of the darkest brown heads I've seen. The smell is dark and roasty with some alcohol. The taste is pretty unique, one of the meatiest stouts I've had. The coffee, chocolate and dark fruits are all there, but there are also some soy/teriyaki sauce flavors in here which are kind of odd. It sounds odd but this stout has some very savory elements in it to me. Not bad but different. Mouthfeel is thick and warming. Drinkability is good for such a big beer.

Not a beer you expect to come out of can. Finally, an imperial stout that you can take to the beach!...hahaha

4.03/5  rDev -8%

Mmmm...Had this about a year ago and really enjoyed it, so wanted to try it again.

Bottom of can: "Batch #4 brewed 12-22-0?" - couldn't read the last digit but must assume it's an 09. Also says "The Great Dark Curse."

A) Pitch black, 1 finger of dark brown foamy head that lasted a few minutes before settling into a ring.

S) I was surprised at how much the dark fruit smell stood out (grapes, prunes). Also plenty of roasted malt presence, burnt sugar, coffee.

T) Like the smell - again heavy on the dark fruits, coffee, roasty, malty, nutty, some alcohol taste and definite warmth.

D) Overall, excellent. At 9.5% ABV it is way too easy to drink several. For some reason I seem to recall this being more coffee tasting and less fruit tasting when I had this before. Which is what I would like. However, this was still a definite pleasurable RIS.

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%

I drank this from a 12oz can into my Rochefort chalice. Thanks to beavers for an awesome extra.

The beer pours out of the can tar black, definetley one of the darkest beers I've seen. It pours very oily without much carbonation. As the beer finishes pouring a very dark tan head settles rising only about half a finger, disappering right away.

The aroma is very malty sweet chocolate with a hint of vanilla and cherry to it. At the end a hint of hops.

The taset is very sweet start to finish with a light coffee bite at the end. Its not overly sweet or annoying, ist just a sweeter ris.

The feel is a little warm, but light, with a dry finish.

Overall, this beer is a fine ris. Its sweet, which is fine but if it was balanced out better with either some hops or a more robuse coffee it would be world class.

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

12oz can poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a thick and syrupy pitch black color. Totally opaque - not a hint of light gets thru this one. A thin cap of brown, loose bubbles forms for an instant and collapses rapidly to a thin collar and a lingering and persistant swirl of bubbles on the surface.

S - Smells strongly of alcohol, coffee, a hint of vanilla, maybe a tiny hint of bourbon, licorice, and lots of dark fruits surrounding it all. Very complex.

T - Flavor is just as complex as the aroma. A bit hot with noticeable alcohol in every sip. Some creamy vanilla flavor comes on strong up front. Coffee with some licorice fills in behind the vanilla and is rounded out with some pruney flavors behind. A touch of caramel and its associated sweetness comes in at the finish.

M - Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy and feels like it coats the entire mouth with its roasty, bitter and sweet flavors. Carbonation is low giving a nice creamy feel that complements the vanilla character to give a great smoothness to it.

D - Great imperial stout...only a bit of alcohol heat holds this back from being extremely drinkable. Very complex and well rounded stout...definitely a go to RIS...highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pored from a 12 oz can (!) into a pint mug.

A - Absolutely pitch black with a short dark caramel head which quickly dissipated. Looks oily and slippery like a thin weight motor oil.

S - Big nose on this one. Dark roasted malts up front with toffee notes. Maybe a little vanilla and a slight prune-like hint of alcoholic heat.

T - Wow, expected a hot boozy over the top imperial stout but this was anything but. Good balance of bittersweet chocolate, roasted nuts, a little burnt caramel set off by a slightly bitter finish.

M - Stellar mouthfeel, definitely a slick feel but not oily like some overly-hopped IPA. More carbonation than I expected from the wimpy head and a nice nutty creaminess.

D - While not a big fan of the style, this is the best imperial stout I have tried to date.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

On tap at Gingerman in South Norwalk and served in a snifter glass. This was beer 50 of my tasting adventure, and epitomized the entire effort - so unexpected and enjoyable.

A deep, dark black, poured with very little head, but delightfully dark as night. Head is an off-brown cream. Smell is like coffee, malty, with dark chocolate and an enjoyable toasted finish. This seems to match the style exquisitely.

The taste is not overwhelming like other imperials I've head, but well balanced. Reminds me of the nose, with toasted chocolate - I cant think of a better flavor for winter. This is like drinking slightly burnt gingerbread. The mouth is sufficiently full, with very little bitterness. So very drinkable, but the ABV is high, and it'll hit you along the way.

An excellent beer to celebrate 50 with, I look forward to trying the can next time...

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours right on the border line of black and brown. No light coming through at all. Head is the color of chocolate icecream. Good lacing.

Lot's of chocolate, caramel malts. And coffee. A touch of alcohol in the nose as well. I agree with people that said it has the smell of whoppers.

Same as the smell. Chocolate, caramel. At the end there is a touch of smokiness on the finish.

Mouthfeel is super creamy and smooth. Very nice to drink. Not a ton of carbonation.

This is a really nice stout. One of the better ones i've had. Definitely worth a try if you can get it.

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Pours a black we'll only see when we're staring at the back of our eyelids while lying in our graves. The walnut head is not too much to speak of, rising up to about a half-finger at its zenith, but this completes the image of death: no head can survive when the presence of The End is so omnipresent. The aroma reeks with elements of coffee, chocolate, roasted malts, vanilla, even an only slightly perceptible hint of smoke. The taste relies heavily on that dark roasted malt flavor, with bits of vanilla, cocoa, and, yes, even that smoke making cameo appearances. This guy sits heavily on the tongue, yes, but not so heavily as to give the experience a negative connotation. Regardless, he's very smooth for his weight and ABV, allowing him to rise above the preconceived notions of his character, ascending to a lofty, relatively drinkable plateau of beery goodness.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Here's to getting the nifty little beer mug next to my name!

Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A: Literally looks like motor oil when poured out of the can. Once in the glass, the brew is pitch black with one of the darkest tan heads I have ever seen. Usually I'm unsure how to rate appearance, but this one really impresses.

S: Strong aromas of mocha, espresso, and chocolate immediately meed my nose. Hints of sweet vanilla, molasses, and alcohol are also present. I know this wasn't aged in barrels, but the smell is reminiscent of some of the big BA stouts I've had.

T: Really great. Chocolate is the primary flavor I guess, but so much is going on here. There is a mixture of sweetness and harsh alcohol bite that balances out very well in this brew. Vanilla, molasses, toffee, and licorice all come through as the sweeter flavors. Maybe even some dark fruit too. The alcohol bite is reminiscent of bourbon and if I didn't know better I would guess this was barrel aged. Some bitterness in the finish can be attributed to some dark roasted malt and hints of coffee and espresso.

M: Rich and full, borderline chewy. The alcohol is hidden decently well, but you can definitely tell its there from the warming effects in your throat and chest.

D: A sipper for sure, but a great one. I think this may have just overtaken Old Rasputin as my go to big stout. I started a forum discussion a few weeks ago asking if this brew was worth the $4+ per can. In short: yes, it is. Go buy some, NOW.

4.43/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance - pours dark black, dark brown head that settles quick, very thick pour

Smell - chocolate is strong, smells like marshmallow and chocolate ice cream, some hints of malt

Taste - taste of chocolate and then the malt hits in the finish, give this beer a chance to warm as the flavors evolve

Mouthfeel - Very thick and chewy, lingers and dissipates slowly

Drinkability - enjoyable, unique for a stout, very tasty

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass. Not my first time having but first time reviewing.

a - Pours a very dark, thick black with about 2 inches of brown head and little carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sweet malts and chocolate, as well as some dark fruits. Small hints of alcohola and coffee are evident.

t - Bakers chocolate is defintiely the best comparison I can think of for this taste. It's a bittersweet chocolate taste that jumps out at you at first, followed by a little fruit and roasted malts, and finishes off with a tiny bit of coffee. Great stuff.

m - Thick, full bodied, moderate carbonation. Little hot from the alochol taste but still enjoyable

d - Overall I really enjoyed Ten FIDY. I thought the bittersweet chocolate smell/taste was great and the only small knock I'd have against it would be a small amount of heat from the alcohol smell/taste. I will definitely be buying more of this and will be putting a few cans in the cellar to see how it develops.

4.33/5  rDev -1.1%

Looks kind of dark with a good-looking mocha head. Very lovely aromas of chocolates and fruits, chocolate-covered fruits, s'mores, alcohol, and just enough soy sauce. Very rich and thick, but just barely sweet. Bittersweet chocolate taste graduates to roasted coffee on a slightly warm finish. Rich enough that you have to take your time with this one, but it's far from tiring. Easily up there with Stone as a top-notch RIS.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

Good ol' Ten Fidy. Had this many times, first time I've gotten around to reviewing the beast.

Black, just black, nothing else to be seen in this beer but blackness. Nice finger and a half dark redish brown head. Practically a wall of lacing at the back of the glass and spotty lacing on the side I'm sipping from. Decent head retention, a little bit of foam on top and lots around the edge of the glass.

Smells intensely roasty. Tons of chocolate malts. Slight vanilla and toffee. Some alcohol in there too.

Up front there is a big, luscious malt presence. Gives way to chocolate, toffee, graham cracker and vanilla bean flavors. Ends on a bittersweet dark roasty note, finish is espresso like with a kiss of alcohol spice.

This beer is quite thick, but not overly so. Full bodied. Medium carbonation with nice tiny bubbles. Very smooth and creamy. Gives you that warm feeling in your belly.

The alcohol is quite well hidden, and it's an all around very enjoyable stout. I'd actually pit this against some of the more hyped up (non-BA) imperial stouts of all time.

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Craft beer in a can... gotta love it! This has to be the darkest, most extreme canned beer I've ever poured. Into an imperial pint glass, with plenty of room to spare.

A - Dark and thick pour, similar to spent motor oil. Foams a lovely, rocky dark-cherry colored head. Very appealing to look at.

S - Dark and malty as expected. A mild molasses sweetness also in there. Again, very inviting and appealing.

T - Initial flavors of burnt malt and a caramelized sweetness. Molasses and brown sugar notes hidden behind the wallop of burnt malt. I really dug this flavor.

M / D - Ten FIDY sits in your mouth for a long time, coating it with its flavor. As far as drinkability, I was able to knock two down pretty quickly. For the style, it's pretty drinkable. After those two, I was feeling alright with the universe.

Ten FIDY is an excellent Imperial Stout. Perfect for a bitter cold night like the one it was consumed on.

4.08/5  rDev -6.8%

This is a Russian Imperial Stout--as advertised.

Poured a 12 oz can into a stout glass. Pours a thick coffee looking consistency, pretty thick body with a nice brown head finish.

Smell is nutty with hints of chocolate and molasses. It's obviously better as it warms, and the chocolate and malty flavors show through. I think this is an excellent stout--it's a bit pricey, but there is no questioning the quality. It should be enjoyed as a nightcap, and goes well with a lot of different food choices.

3.7/5  rDev -15.5%

This one was a bit of a disappointment only because my hopes were so high, kind of like "Dark Knight". Poured into snifter. There was a bit more of a fruity, floral, and anise smell and taste than I want in an RIS.. not my preferred flavor profile. In this sense, I would have probably enjoyed it more if it was only 3-4oz and not 12. Also, since I tried this the same week as the Old Chub, I expected it to be superior, which it wasn't IMO. It was definitely jet black and thick as hell and seemed to coat your teeth like a malbec or other thick red wine. In some ways I almost thought it tasted more like a double IPA. The fruitiness/spiciness combined with the thickness made it seem harsher and as if it had more abv than it did. I would have guessed it was more than the Stone, but its 10% less. Overall, the balance was not what I expected from an acclaimed RIS, and I wish it leaned a bit towards the malty/metallic side of things (Rasputin), or nutty/chocolate/coffee like Stone. After I washed this one down with an Allagash White, I cracked the Stone IRS later in the evening and realized what I had been missing. It was enjoyable overall, but if they have this in the store there's a huge probability they have something I'll buy instead.

edit: I just realized that this is an imperial stout, not an RIS. Therefore, my minor complaints about floral/fruityness and more harsh/alcohol taste are, well, duh. I guess my main disappointment was due to the fact I thought this was an RIS.

4.18/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Viscous motor oil black with a lumpy froth of espresso-brown head that leaves generous lacing.
N: Dark chocolate, roasted coffee, warming alcohol, and a touch of tanned leather and vanilla.
T: Lots of chocolate and coffee, vanilla notes come through nicely too with a hint of bourbon making an appearance in the alcohol heat. Develops nicely on the palate if you stick with it past the alcohol, there is a nice bitter hop finish though it is pretty subtle.
M: Carbonation is a little thin, alcohol heat is very present, not terribly syrupy which I like.
Overall very drinkable, an excellent beer.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

A - As others have said, this one is pitch black. I held it up to my 150W halogen desk lamp and only then could I see some reddish brown around the outside. No head at all; just the tiniest bit of tan bubbles around the perimeter. Very little lacing.

S - Very complex. Strangely, though, I can't pin this one down to individual flavors. It's roasty, it's sweet, but that's about as descriptive as I can be. Strange.

T - Very rich. Less bite than many imperial stouts I've had. Very tasty, but not so bitter that only a hop-head could appreciate it. Be that as it may, I suspect you'd have to be a fan of imperial stouts and/or extreme beers in general to appreciate this one. This is not for the Corona crowd.

M - What an imperial stout should be: thick. Like some others have said: motor oil.

D - This is not a session beer. Take it slow or it will knock you on your ass. Hell, it may knock you on your ass anyway.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a snifter at cellar temperature.

A-Deep dark dirty oil with a thick dark creamy head. Not sure if I've ever seen a head so dark, but it does fade away to a light ring in short order. Utter blackness...no way any light is shining through this mother.

S-Sweet malts, roasted coffee, vanilla, molasses. Fudge also comes to mind. I'm also picking up some hops back there in the distance as well.

T-Big chewy bittersweet mocha hits you up front with dark fruits populating the mid palate along with smokey vanilla, a hint of bourbon and a very nice peppery hop bite on the back end wrapping all up in an astringent finish. Devine.

M-Full bodied, creamy and oily...like it should be. Slightly overcarbonated, but easily solved by boxing it back into the snifter to form a head that reminds me of dark chocolate milk.

D-Shedding a tear of sadness that the glass is half empty. Shedding tears of joy that three more are left from the four pack. Not sure they will be there much longer.

There is something so utterly decadent about an Imperial Stout in a can, but I love it. In fact, I love Oskar Blues...they seem to nail every style on the head in a robust and flavorful way. This may be my new favorite RIS.

2.55/5  rDev -41.8%

This is by far the biggest, most viscous, syrupy, blackest, and roastiest beers I've had. The line about "would you like a fork with that?" might actually apply to this one. Not dry at all, it just lays there on your tongue. Alcohol taste is there but not objectionable. Can't imagine what the original gravity is for this one. I just bought one can to try it, don't really see myself getting this again. Trying not to be too hard on the score since I don't want to be judging the style vs the beer, but this almost didn't seem like finished beer, more like dark malt extract.

4.38/5  rDev 0%

I was pretty stoked to finally get a can of this stout. I must admit, the can itself is pretty underwhelming, but the beer is what's important.

Poured into a pint glass...DARK! Opaque, with an oily residue on the surface.

A nice malty, coffee aroma which is very inviting.

An excellent stout, smooth coffee and cocoa flavors without the bitey aftertaste that some stouts have. It also was pretty thick/viscous.

The alcohol is well hidden, until you get about two thirds of the way done (which is the whole point, IMO).

Overall, an excellent choice, despite the high cost and outward appearance.

4.68/5  rDev +6.8%

This beer has a rich flavor with heavy chocolate notes and hints of coffee. The blend of malts balances the flavor and while the beer is high in alcohol content there is little to no heat on the pallet. It has a full body mouthfeel and a sweet aftertaste that lingers. An exceptional Russian Imperial.

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Wow, a can?

A: pours a nice dark with a dark tan one inch head that dissipates quickly.

S: A little chocolate, coffee, dark fruit, especially cherry; slight banana bread.

T: Very nice, chocolate, coffee, dark fruit, caramel, and the fruit is there.

M: Very nice, like a creamy liquid chocolate bar that doesn't want to stop.

D: Very drinkable, the abv is hidden and I will have another.
I just wish this was available in Vermont.

Ten FIDY from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew