Mama's Little Yella Pils - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Czech Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 02-25-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mama's Little Yella Pils Alström Bros
wendymerissa

12-09-2011 02:39:37 | More by CGMLS3
humblepie

07-18-2014 03:23:03 | More by humblepie
hoplover82

WOW!!! I can see how this won a gold metal! My goodness. I don't like pilsners (per se), but golly this is great. For the style, I can't find anything wrong with this wonderfully made beer. For me, this is the apitamy of what a summer drinkin' beer should be like...

A-Pours a crystal clear light yellow color with a HUGE white fluffy head that has GREAT retention, and leaves strong sticky lacing.

S-The scent of the pilsner "funk" fills the air right away, then I sniff closer and BEHOLD... the aroma of slightly floral hops hit my nostrals. And of coarse loads of pilsner malts are the star.

T-It tasts GREAT. Like I said, I don't like pilsners, I guess this just might convert me because, the flavor of this one is outstanding. I don't remember if I gave any beers a perfect score, but for the style, this one deserves it, for real. Smooth pilsner taste with earthy, floral hops in the back to balance. A little detectable bitterness, but it's almost not there because of the cleanness of the bittering hop.

M-And the mouthfeel. It is perfect! So creamy and smooth. It's not crisp, it's creamy, and for this style I can't get enough of it. SOooo creamy. It has a full medium body, very good.

D-I could drink this all night long. It's so good. Please go out and get a sixer, if you have'nt yet. You will be rewarded.

05-15-2009 05:00:53 | More by hoplover82
Ryan1423

Alaska

11-26-2011 06:44:22 | More by Ryan1423
Unchi

12-07-2011 00:00:39 | More by Unchi
Dougal

4.97/5  rDev +38.8%

Some of the reviewers are a bit confused... if you are reviewing a " beer " that is one thing and if you are reviewing a sub class such as the above beer which is classified as a " pilsner lager" that is another thing.

This beer is exceptional... it is crisp, light, hoppy, refreshing, it has enough body to roll and is not overly carbonated. The greatness in my opinion of a good pilsner is it's ability to stay crisp and hoppy without allowing the malt to weight it down.

Troeg's Sunshine is great too, I personally am not a huge fan of victory's product, brooklyns pilsner was way too malty

I'm not a good reviewer but I can tell you what is quality to me

06-28-2011 02:21:12 | More by Dougal
tigg924

4.75/5  rDev +32.7%

Appearance: high carbonation, one inch head, clear, light golden yellow, with lacing that stays

Smell: malt/grass

Taste:honey, grass, and malt

Mouthfeel: sweet, light, crisp, can feel the carbonation

Drinkability: Totally sessionable. I am not usually a fan of the style and have had mixed results with this brewery. That being said, this is my new standard bearer for the style. This is totally refreshing and not other pilsners. I have had a lot of pilsners, and as of right now, this is the best I have had..Great beer for the style.

05-07-2009 14:38:31 | More by tigg924

OCdrummer7271

12-07-2012 05:51:44 | More by OCdrummer7271
SaltofOH

4.74/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Can from a mix and match six pack, canned on 5/6/14 (at 10:20).

Appearance: Pours a clear yellow-gold with a 1" rocky white head. Very good retention, and lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as I drink. Visible, fairly high carbonation.

Aroma: Strong European/noble hop aroma. Light maltiness. Clean.

Taste: Dry, grassy arrival. Complex hop delivery across mid-palate. Flash of sweetness, then very pleasant strong hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Hefty for a pilsner. Its weight was the first thing I noticed.

Overall: Perfect execution, if a touch heavier than what I'd expect. Outstanding noble hop character. I would definitely buy a sixer of this. In fact, it is better than the last Pilsner Urquell I had. Super refreshing.

06-23-2014 00:14:12 | More by SaltofOH
swizzlenuts

Wisconsin

4.58/5  rDev +27.9%

As a huge fan of Dale's Pale Ale, I had to check out Mama's little yella Pils. The beer is slightly cloudy when I pour it into a glass, which makes me slightly upset, because it's a Pilsner. I expect it to be brilliantly clear, but it's the 'right' colour more or less. I look and it and I think, "this is giong to be a mediocre pilsner", but when I smell it my whole perspective is changed. It's foral, bready, and spicy. Everything I expect. It's not as pungent as a Prima Pils, but it's very nice. It's everything I expect in a Bohemian Pilsner.

What happens after I take a sip of this beer? Well, to put it bluntly, fucking bliss. The combination of bready malts and spicy floral hops is brilliant. Behind everything is a sweetness that just blows me away. Seriously. Every time I take a sip or gulp of this beer there is a different flavour that makes me like it even more. I know my review will sound like this is an A+++ would buiy/drink again beer, but there is a slight part of it that takes away from a World Class Beer. First is it's not doing anything above and beyond a Pilsner Urquell or Prima Pils. It's tasty and solid, but besides being canned I see no reason to purchase this if I had a choice between Prima Pils (I know comparing it to the best pilsner in the US is wrong, buit you probably get my point). This beer is fucking awesome, but nothing above and beyond what a Pilsner should be. Just spot on to the style.

Mouthfeel? Pretty fucking ace. Drinkability? I don't think you can get any more perfect than this beer. It's a beer that I could drink all night, all day, and all morning!

09-06-2009 07:28:24 | More by swizzlenuts
ValpoExpo

08-05-2013 21:17:45 | More by ValpoExpo
Amalak

11-21-2011 00:37:20 | More by Amalak
mrbeery

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

there's not much you can say that's not going to be positive about beer from the oskar blues guys. they got some skills.looks great.smells great.nice curtain on the glass.had two to wash down my bubba burger.tastes exactly like you think it should once you hear the name.

07-15-2011 20:07:53 | More by mrbeery