Mama's Little Yella Pils - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Czech Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: GilGarp on 02-25-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mama's Little Yella Pils Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 797 | Hads: 2,802

WOW!!! I can see how this won a gold metal! My goodness. I don't like pilsners (per se), but golly this is great. For the style, I can't find anything wrong with this wonderfully made beer. For me, this is the apitamy of what a summer drinkin' beer should be like...

A-Pours a crystal clear light yellow color with a HUGE white fluffy head that has GREAT retention, and leaves strong sticky lacing.

S-The scent of the pilsner "funk" fills the air right away, then I sniff closer and BEHOLD... the aroma of slightly floral hops hit my nostrals. And of coarse loads of pilsner malts are the star.

T-It tasts GREAT. Like I said, I don't like pilsners, I guess this just might convert me because, the flavor of this one is outstanding. I don't remember if I gave any beers a perfect score, but for the style, this one deserves it, for real. Smooth pilsner taste with earthy, floral hops in the back to balance. A little detectable bitterness, but it's almost not there because of the cleanness of the bittering hop.

M-And the mouthfeel. It is perfect! So creamy and smooth. It's not crisp, it's creamy, and for this style I can't get enough of it. SOooo creamy. It has a full medium body, very good.

D-I could drink this all night long. It's so good. Please go out and get a sixer, if you have'nt yet. You will be rewarded. (1,328 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +37.7%

Some of the reviewers are a bit confused... if you are reviewing a " beer " that is one thing and if you are reviewing a sub class such as the above beer which is classified as a " pilsner lager" that is another thing.

This beer is exceptional... it is crisp, light, hoppy, refreshing, it has enough body to roll and is not overly carbonated. The greatness in my opinion of a good pilsner is it's ability to stay crisp and hoppy without allowing the malt to weight it down.

Troeg's Sunshine is great too, I personally am not a huge fan of victory's product, brooklyns pilsner was way too malty

I'm not a good reviewer but I can tell you what is quality to me (661 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +30.7%

Appearance: high carbonation, one inch head, clear, light golden yellow, with lacing that stays

Smell: malt/grass

Taste:honey, grass, and malt

Mouthfeel: sweet, light, crisp, can feel the carbonation

Drinkability: Totally sessionable. I am not usually a fan of the style and have had mixed results with this brewery. That being said, this is my new standard bearer for the style. This is totally refreshing and not other pilsners. I have had a lot of pilsners, and as of right now, this is the best I have had..Great beer for the style. (540 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Can from a mix and match six pack, canned on 5/6/14 (at 10:20).

Appearance: Pours a clear yellow-gold with a 1" rocky white head. Very good retention, and lacing sticks to the sides of the glass as I drink. Visible, fairly high carbonation.

Aroma: Strong European/noble hop aroma. Light maltiness. Clean.

Taste: Dry, grassy arrival. Complex hop delivery across mid-palate. Flash of sweetness, then very pleasant strong hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Hefty for a pilsner. Its weight was the first thing I noticed.

Overall: Perfect execution, if a touch heavier than what I'd expect. Outstanding noble hop character. I would definitely buy a sixer of this. In fact, it is better than the last Pilsner Urquell I had. Super refreshing. (734 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +26.6%

As a huge fan of Dale's Pale Ale, I had to check out Mama's little yella Pils. The beer is slightly cloudy when I pour it into a glass, which makes me slightly upset, because it's a Pilsner. I expect it to be brilliantly clear, but it's the 'right' colour more or less. I look and it and I think, "this is giong to be a mediocre pilsner", but when I smell it my whole perspective is changed. It's foral, bready, and spicy. Everything I expect. It's not as pungent as a Prima Pils, but it's very nice. It's everything I expect in a Bohemian Pilsner.

What happens after I take a sip of this beer? Well, to put it bluntly, fucking bliss. The combination of bready malts and spicy floral hops is brilliant. Behind everything is a sweetness that just blows me away. Seriously. Every time I take a sip or gulp of this beer there is a different flavour that makes me like it even more. I know my review will sound like this is an A+++ would buiy/drink again beer, but there is a slight part of it that takes away from a World Class Beer. First is it's not doing anything above and beyond a Pilsner Urquell or Prima Pils. It's tasty and solid, but besides being canned I see no reason to purchase this if I had a choice between Prima Pils (I know comparing it to the best pilsner in the US is wrong, buit you probably get my point). This beer is fucking awesome, but nothing above and beyond what a Pilsner should be. Just spot on to the style.

Mouthfeel? Pretty fucking ace. Drinkability? I don't think you can get any more perfect than this beer. It's a beer that I could drink all night, all day, and all morning! (1,612 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

there's not much you can say that's not going to be positive about beer from the oskar blues guys. they got some skills.looks great.smells great.nice curtain on the glass.had two to wash down my bubba burger.tastes exactly like you think it should once you hear the name. (271 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draught into nonic pint

Appearance: Straw gold with moderate-to-high carbonation, two finger fast reducing head

Smell: Biscuits, grass, minerals, wet grain

Taste: biscuits, grass, minerals, grains

Mouthfeel: Thicker, perfect, and oily

Overall: Brilliant beer that I'm glad I discovered in NC! If it was available in IL, I'd put it in my fridge. (349 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +24.1%

A- Clear bright gold, one finger head.

S- Delicate floral hop note with smooth bready malt overtones.

T- Smooth bready sweet malts up front and well into the middle. An understated and delicate floralhop note brings up the rear without drowning out the wonderful malt.

M- Generally light with a pleasing fullness.

D- Bring em on!

I'm gonna have to re-visit some other Pils to double check, I might have a new champ. (420 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +24.1%

A: Brilliant straw, crystal clear, perfect white head.

S: pure malt, light hop.

T: Pure biscuit malt, very clean. Slight sweetness, due to the fact of the noble hop bitterness.

M: Super light very crisp

D: I could drink a keg. Phenomenal pilsener. (254 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Mama’s Little Yella Pils has a thick, off-white head, and a hazy, yellow appearance with lots of fairly large brown chunks floating about, some bubbles, and a decent amount of thick lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of lemony, sweet, bread, and sting in the nose. Flavor is of bitter hops, sweet bread, lemon, and cracker. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Mama’s Little Yella Pils finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, mostly dry, and very drinkable. Overall, this is a most excellent beer. Try it!

RJT (511 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +22.4%

We just recently started seeing this in south Texas. Long overdue in my opinion.

Pours a bright golden, clear straw color with a one-finger white head on top. Some lace retention. It appears almost a yellowish chartreuse color when held up to natural light. The nose is bold for a pils. Rich and malty with strong butter notes and some very faint citrus. Earthy. A great nose for the style; this really should set the standard for the American craft version of the Czech pilsner. Taste is very nice, again with a strong malt presence. I also taste buttered popcorn, faint vanilla, and sugar bread. Finishes with a smooth tangy hop bite. Mouthfeel is firm, at times creamy.

Another great beer from Oskar Blues. Full-bodied, delicious, and bold. I like what they do up there in Lyons, CO. The fact that you can take this beer camping makes it all the better. Really good stuff. (877 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +22.4%

12oz can poured into Three Philosophers snifter.

Appearance - Cloudy dull yellow. Thin white lace.

Smell - Honey. Musk. Grain. Clean.

Taste - Very flavorful. Honey. Acidic. Sweet and almost hoppy?

Mouthfeel - Light. Bright. Sharp.

Overall Drinkability - Strong pilsner. Almost like an IPA. (294 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +21.9%

Appearance: A clear, pale golden-straw body. On top, a bubbly white head that fades quickly and leaves very patchy lacing.

Aroma: Lemony and grassy Saaz hops over relatively rich grainy malt. Hints of white grape.

Taste: Up front, a crisp, lemony bitterness takes charge. Underneath, the backbone is close to the traditional Pilsener body, but with a bit more rich sweetness than usual. The aftertaste is short-lived.

Mouthfeel: A medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Dries a bit in the finish.

Drinkability: As you'd expect from this style, this is highly drinkable.

Verdict: In Mama's Little Yella Pils, Oskar Blues have created a straightforward, tasty, and very drinkable Pilsener - in fact it's one of the best Pilseners I've tried yet. If you're looking for a highly refreshing Pilsener sold in a can, this is certainly the beer for you. (856 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +21.9%

04/25/09- Purchased at Beverages and More in San Mateo, CA.

Presentation- 12oz can, forgot to look for freshness info. Poured into a random pint glass.

Appearance- Pale yellow color with effvervescent bubbles and a nice full inch creamy white head. Leaves some decent lace markings behind.

Smell- Strong nose of saaz hops and also a strong grain nose. Quite floral.

Taste- Hops are quite large and quite flavorful. Grain-malt base is the main flavor, but very fresh tasting.

Mouthfeel- Very creamy with a medium carbonation level. Nice hoppy aftertaste. Overall perfection in the mouth.

Drinkability- Easy to session, although the 5.3 abv sneaks up a bit. Wonderful pils IMO. I went right back out and bought the last six pack they had after I had a couple of them. (771 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +21.9%

This is a great pool beer for the summer! Before recently you had to buy some inexpensive domestic beer to take places that do not permit glass containers. In my experience this led to me drinking the afternoon away on something that did not taste very good and left me regretting my beverage decision. Thank God the Oskar Blue's Brewery in Lyons, CO produce a number of great beers in the pool friendly aluminum cans. This delicious Czech style Pilsner is made with hearty amount of pale malt, German specialty malts and traditional Saaz and 21st century Bavarian hops. This is the perfect beer to show the world that not all American made Pilsners are water downed, flavorless beers that flood the shelves here in the U.S. (724 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +21.3%

12oz can purchased as a 6-pack from Julio's, Westboro, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" off-white head over the almost clear yellow (as advertised) brew. Dense head dwindles as bubble by bubble break, with good sticky lacing. Aroma is lightly sweet with citrus tinge to the hoppiness. Taste is sweeter than expected on through the middle, and then cuts with moderate prickly hops, and a crisp close. Mouthfeel is very smooth, and drinkability is superb. The sweet/bitter interplay is the main show here, great stuff. (537 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +20.8%

A- Big ass head on top of a super clear, light-golden, yella colored body with multiple streams of quick moving bubbles. Interesting lace and amazing retention.

S- Floury. herbal spicy. Clean along with a scent of lager yeast that smells like iron to me.

T- This beer really delivers for a clear, yellow beer. Sweetness of honey, grainy malt, warm bread along with bitter herbal hop flavors. Simple, yet complete.

M- A bit viscous for a Pilsener, but that is expected at 5.3%ABV. Carbonation is spot on, playful without being annoying.

D- Light, yet hearty. Simple, yet complete. A very fulfilling beer for the style. (621 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +20.5%

Maybe the best pilsner I've ever had.

A: A tiny amount of cloudiness but overall it's pale, golden and largely still.

S: A who's-who of nice pilsner smells, ranging from forest to field. Awesome.

T: Oh, yes. Here's where it all comes together. This is just beautiful. Buttered corn on the cob with black pepper and then a burst of lemon at the end. Just the right balance of flavour and refreshment.

M: There's a surprising among of body here for such a pale pilsner - this is one you'll remember.

I bought one can of this as part of a mixed six. Now I need to get a case of it. Absolutely incredible pilsner. (614 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +20.5%

I have heard a lot about this brew from friends. Saying for a canned brew, its pretty darn good. So with a punch of friends in philly after the Philly Beer Fest was cancelled, we gave it a try.

This brew poured a poured a very crisp and clear light yellow color. It had an amazing, white head that had some great retention. As you drink the brew, it leaves a very sticky lacing all over the glass.

As you pop the can, and pour you quickly get that nice aroma of a nice floral hops. It of course then follows by a punch of great pilsener malts.

The taste on this brew is great. It was much better then I ever expected. When you first see the can, you kind of have an idea on flavor being something the macros you find in cans, but this was different. This is once smooth brew. It has a great pilsener taste, and has a great, earthy/grassy floral hops that finish and give this brew a great balance.

It also has a great mouthful as well. It was smooth and creamy. Just the right amount of carbonation, with a nice medium body.

As for the drink, its so easy. Its a nice, crisp pilsener, that goes down very smooth. Its a great respresenation of the style, probably one of the best I have had. Since I started my reviews in Sept. (1,232 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +20.5%

Straight from the can to my tulip. It pours a golden color that actually matches the gold color on the can. It has a nice white foamy head with pretty nice lacing. It has a heavy velvety mouthfeel for a pilsner with medium carbonation. It is very tasty. Fruit forward notes with a malty middle and a slight hoppy floral finish. I can honestly say that this is my favorite pilsner from a can. This will definitely be a staple during the summer time whenever I am going poolside or where glass if frowned upon. (508 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +20.2%

It pours a beautiful pale gold topped by a finger of off white foam. Not much remains of it after a moment, and a skim and ring are all that remain of the head.

The nose is a full aroma of lager yeast tart, hints of lemon, spice, and floral hops, and just a bit of neutral sweet to back it up.

The taste is full strength, very delicious. Very well blended mix of tart yet rounded yeast, some spicy hop, hints of citrus and earth, and a finish that is long and elusive. At times I feel like lemon sweet stays in my mouth, other times some clean spicy stays, other sips finish earthy and herbal. Not used to this kind of complexity in a lager. Nice.

It has a low carb. (well within style), creamy feel, nice semi-dry finish, that makes for a highly enjoyable quaff.

This is the most easy drinking lager I've tasted, though I'm not a first choice lager man. Giving this the highest rating, doubt I'll taste a pilsner more easy drinking than this.

Impression: What a beer. This growler will be history much too quickly. Lager lovers need to get this any way they can. (1,069 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +20.2%

Hazy yellow. Thin dirty white head. Lacing is moderate and patchy. Oh this smells good. Like liquid bread. Like liquid 5 grain bread. Pure breadiness and crackery malt goodness on the nose with a little flowery hop presence as well. Taste like liquid bread too. Bready yeastiness with some grainy flavors. A little bit of a hop snappiness. Crisp, but light, bitterness. Lively carbonation. This is gonna be a great go-to beer in the summer for me this year. (457 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

$1.69 for a 12oz can at Siciliano's. Brewed with "pale malt, german specialty malts, Saaz hops. 35 IBU's, 5.3% ABV. Czech style.

Pours out to a slightly hazy pale straw golden, almost whitish, forming a meringue-like bone white head with superior retention and beautiful lacing, owing it parts to it's brisk carbonation of about 3.0 carbs. The nose is delicate...a wisp of grainy malt, floral/grassy Saaz, mild DMS, and a very clean fermentation. No diacetyl, no other off-aromas. Mouthfeel is crisp and prickly with a light body. Goes down very easy. Clean finish. The taste is a recap of the nose...delicate malt in beautiful balance with a mild-moderate bitterness, just a touch of DMS in the flavor, delicate grassy Saaz hops, no off-flavors. Excellent drinkability. Goes down and you want some more.

This is an excellent pilsener, however, it is more in the German style than Czech. The bitterness and hopping rate are more appropriate to the German pils. Despite this, it's a great beer and something I would buy more of. Up there with Victory, Lagunitas, Avery, New Belgium and Summit as far as high quality American made pilsners go. Recommended without reservation. (1,176 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +19.9%

12 oz can, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, golden yellow color with a finger and a half of white-colored head that quickly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Not much in the aroma department. I get some faint, and I mean really, really faint, like almost non-existent, notes of toasted malt and floral hops.

Taste: Delicious! I mean really, really delicious! Lots of toasted malt up front, imparting lots of bready, cereal-like flavors, followed by some good caramel-like sweetness, a touch of black pepper, and some faint hops at the finish. Delicious!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and pretty effervescent as there’s quite a good bit of carbonation. With an ABV of 5.3%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is definitely the best pilsner I’ve ever had, and honestly, one of the best session beers of any style I’ve ever had! It’s absolutely fantastic! Highly recommended! (982 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +19.9%

Czech pilsner isn't my favorite style, but this one is very clean and refreshing.

Nice 2 finger head with pale yellow color. Incredible clarity!

Smell is of some mild noble hops and some citrus from the pilsner malt. Hints of grass and hay come through as well.

A dryness comes on the palate with a elements of grass and hay. Light flavor of spicy hops and a balancing light bitterness follow. No detectable brewing flaws.

Mouthfeel is crisp and there is some malty undertone. It's not too dry. There is some great fullness to this beer.

This a great example of the style and perhaps the first czech pilsner I've liked. (626 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last