Mama's Little Yella Pils - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Czech Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: GilGarp on 02-25-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mama's Little Yella Pils Alström Bros
Reviews: 824 | Hads: 2,917
1.18/5  rDev -67.3%

Split a can of this last night. Thank God I split it, because I couldn't drink all of this.

Poured a fair enough golden yellow, smelling like hops, malt, and yeast. Innocuous enough.

But the taste. Oh, the taste. Sort of had floral-y notes to me....if they were incredibly stale. Every drink of this almost made me vomit, and I couldn't shake it. Ugh.

Typical carbonation, I guess.

Overall, one of the worst beers I've ever had. I mean, if people like it, go for it. Maybe this style just doesn't work for me.

1.64/5  rDev -54.6%

This was unfortunately a s***product.

Smell-smelled like methane. I thought someone had released air from their rearend but alas it was my pint of beer I just received.

I do not know if this was a very old keg, but this was worse than a mass market beer.

1.77/5  rDev -51%

Not impressed- big letdown here! Czech Pils, no way! No where near a Euro Pils. Buttery adjunct laden flavors & smells. Absolutely terrible & not up to OB's normal quality. Was all ready for a crisp hoppy Pils but this is nothing more than Schmidt's from Colorado. no hoppy aromas no hoppiness in the flavor & hardly anything impressive here- AVOID lovers of good beer. What were they thinking???

1.88/5  rDev -47.9%

Overall, this is a beer I do not like, do not prefer, and do no tthink is all that good. Not meaning to slam Oskar Blues at all, there are many, many of their beers I like, and I have toured the brewery line in Colorado two times...just not a fan of this beer...at all.

Pours a yellow/golden hue with a moderate foamy white head.

Smell and taste are of corn and wheat, clean almost plasticy tasting...

Mouthfeel is foamy...sudzy and somewhat thick...not really appealing at all....

Overall, not a good beer..lacks depth, flavor and taste....

1.97/5  rDev -45.4%

Cloudy yellow color. "Smells like crap" spoken by my wife. Not sure that this beer really works for my tastes. Very bitter aftertaste. Doesn't feel great in my mouth. This will likely be my only Little Yella Pils. I better go get another mystery beer to wash this down.

2.08/5  rDev -42.4%

So I mean…I guess it's not that I don't *not* like this. But I don't think I like it much either. Just kind of… yellow beer-y. "Just lager."

Seems like an adequate camping beer and/or something good for beer can chicken or fondue or something. But that's about it.

2.09/5  rDev -42.1%

12 ounce can poured into a shaker pint. Hazy gold body with a fluffy 2-finger white head that recedes to a skim fairly quickly, but in the process leaves some nice sticky lacing in thte top quarter of the glass.

Smells almost like an American adjunct lager. Very tame nose, with little to be found in the way of noble hops. Gentle malt sweetness, slightly vegetal.

Taste is sadly in synch with the nose. If I were tasting this blind, I'd honestly be guessing adjunct lager as the style. Loads of corn sweetness with a moderate underlying current of noble hop flavor and bitterness. Only a smooth and thick feel- again, totally out of place for the style- separates it from being the big brother of Hamm's (which happens to be one of my favorite 'fizzy yellow beers').

Overall impression: This would rocket to the top of my rankings of adjunct lagers, but as a pilsner it's very disappointing. Mama needs to go back to the drawing board.

2.1/5  rDev -41.8%

12 ounce can poured into a tall elongated and slim stemmed glass

A: White head does not stick around head retention is bad for a craft beer, clear gold color

S: Grain and alcohol with a slight hop note

T: grains and a very light hop note very grainy not very good.... it is also sweet not in a good way either.

M: what the hell? mouth is thick! its like the thickest pilsner I have ever had light carbonation. Mouth feel is like a oatmeal stout.... yuck!

D: not drinkable at all

Overall: god I wish I did not buy a 6 pack of this crap! is this the way this beer always drinks? Sam Adams Noble pils and lagunitas Pils are way better then this!

2.14/5  rDev -40.7%

A- poured a very light yellow/golden color with a tiny bit of a white foamy head. Looks simalar to a budweiser. Not too impressive!

S- Smells kinda sweet like honey, but also has a skunky aluminum smell to it.

T- Taste just like a cheap macrobrew. Very disappointing!! No sweet honey flavors at all but it does have a bitter skunky taste kinda like a warm bud. This beer leaves a horrible after taste!

M- Too much carbonation and drys out your mouth.

D- We will probably never drink this beer again. It was hard enough for the two of us to finish one can!

Give it a shot!

Tom and Analise!

2.16/5  rDev -40.2%

served on-tap @ Alcove, Tuscaloosa, AL, into a mason jar

It's yellow. No false advertising here. A small amount of white foam dissipates as quickly as my enthusiasm for this beer did once I smelled and tasted it.

Where are the hops? Where's the crisp, clean hop bite? Gimmie, some Saaz, Oskar Blues. This beer right here lacks it, and it needs it. Aromas of spent grain, cornbread, mineral. Flavors of pilsner malt, a very slight estery twang from the yeast, and a hint of a metallic bite from whatever dusting of hops they used here.

The mouthfeel is just fine: it's adequately carbonated and it feels properly in the mouth. Overall, though, it lacks the hop character that makes proper Czech Pilsners so refreshing. A disappointing effort.

2.24/5  rDev -38%

A - Poured into a standard pint glass this Czech Pilsner had a pretty, light straw color with a big soapy head that retreated quickly, but left copious lacing. A handsome beer for the style.

S - The smell is somewhat missing, but light notes of yeast, biscuit or bread, and maybe a touch of grassy hops.

T - The taste is nothing special. I hate to say that because everyone knows Dale does more than a credible job on most of their brews, but for this one? I'm gonna get it good and cold and drink it like a macro. Kind of disappointed I didn't choose something else tonight!

M - Mouthfeel isn't bad. Though Mama's Pils "shows" very light, it does demonstrate a surprising bit of body. Light carbonation dissipates quickly, leaving a stale quality.

D - Can't say I'll ever bother with this again. It drinks ok if you're not looking for a fuller flavored brew -- but it tastes unspectacular even among its genre.

Definitely NOT worth the money. Would be easier to swallow at a lower price point.

2.25/5  rDev -37.7%

Poured from a 12oz can into a mug. Reviewed live.

A- Finger width white head. Very pale yellow color. Little retention and less lacing.

S- Overcooked hops, some maltiness and sugary esters. Not impressive.

T- Sugar notes, but mostly golden malts. Blandly bitter finish.

M- Light bodied, some half-hearted carbonation. Meh.

O- After having Oskar Blues' Ten Fidy, this is a disappointment. Would avoid again.

2.36/5  rDev -34.6%

Appears a bright brillian golden, crystal clear filtered out completely. Large white head slowly dwindles, I had it on tap last week and so far I'm thinking the can hurt this beer. There's almost no hop character in the nose just a bit of grainy sweetness blended with subtle lemon and herb accents. Very weak and non pronounced, take a page from Sly Fox if your going to can a pils do it right. This is no Czech or German pils it seems like an American macro. Flavor is just a blend of mild sweetness some cooked veggie with stale hop character barely has any bitterness just focuses on the yellow fizzy beer flavors. It does nothing to set itself apart, I love their other canned offernigs but this one strikes out. Mouthfeel is light and mildly fizzy in the carbonation department, not much to speak about. Drinkability overall is pour gimme some Dale's Pale I need some flavor. Like I said way more hop flavor when I had it on tap last week, this one is a microbrewed pre prohibition pils. Give it a try if your into Stroh's.

2.36/5  rDev -34.6%

Smell: malty, honey

Appearance: Pale gold. Very foamy thick off-white head retaining for a long time.

Taste: caramel, malty, grainy, little off-taste.

Mouthfeel/aftertaste: fairly watery, malty, bready.

Overall: Not much happening w/this one. Definitely one of the worst pilseners I've had from a good brewery. Didn't finish even though bland and drinkable. If it wasn't from a good brewer I think it would have a much lower average rating.

Poured from a 12oz can into a 12oz mug

I bottom opened this one, and let me tell you, for sitting in the fridge for a week, it sure as heck nearly exploded when opening with a sharp can opener.

After the near-explosion, it poured a very hazy yellow, with little head

Smells of cereal grains and soap. Tastes the same.

After about half of the 12ozer, I start to notice a soapy after taste, although it then turns to a surprising hop note.

For a one-time taste, I'd give this a C. It's trying really hard to be the ultimate pilsner, but not quite accomplishing it. Has too much of an ale-like presence to be a true pils.

2.37/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Brought a 6 pack of this to the Cowboys @ Chargers game tailgating extravaganza to share with non-craft beer drinkers in the party.

Drank this straight out of the can, cause I didn't want to deal with the plastic. Looked yellow from what I can see.

Grassy hops on the nose. Metallic lager after notes. Not sure where this is going.

Sharp bite of grassy hops, and carbonic acid upon taking a sip. Zero malt backbone to balance up the bitterness, nor the hop flavor. This has the hop bill of a craft beer, with the malt bill of a macro lager.

Well carbonated.

Overall this beer is completely disappointing. Due to the light body and lack of malt flavors to compliment the hops and bitterness. Save your money and buy a Budweiser over this stuff, sorry to say.

2.39/5  rDev -33.8%

I like OB beers, but this one falls short for the style and in general. I'm hoping the tap was unclean at ESPN Zone as I ordered this beer for the NFL draft.

Yellow/golden pour that seemed richer than a usual Czech pils. Head was thin and turned to a slight film that offered some splotches. Looks moldy.

Average smell I guess, couldn't really detect much but faint straw and malt. I chalk this up to atmosphere at the Zone.

Diacetyl right off the bat. Butterscotch and stale bread. Took me half the pint to overlook this and try to detect some spice or Saaz, but no go. Towards the end it picked up a bit, but it wasn't crisp or clean or floral. Missed the mark here.

IF I have this again, it won't be from a tap.

2.42/5  rDev -33%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Well, maybe I shouldn't be reviewing this, just not really my thing it seems. It tastes okay, its not bad, but it has this weird flavor to it that I dont quite like.

2.42/5  rDev -33%

Bought a six pack of this a while ago and have been slowly whittling away at a pace that is unusual for me. Why? Because I don't like it.
It has very little flavor or anything going on in the beer. It finishes very dry, which I like, but there's nothing before that. This is definitly not a pilsener. I'm betting that this was brewed aiming for the Budweiser/Miller/Coors crowd which it imitates quite well.

Like all beers, it has it's place. In an effort to support small berweries and to appease the law that states no glass on a beach or lake, I will be purchasing this brew for these trips.

2.43/5  rDev -32.7%

Pours clear golden with a thin white head. Nose has grassy malts, citrus, hops and herbal yeast. Taste is quite grainy with a mellow hop presence. Light body is a bit under carbonted and finishes thin. Refreshing beer, but not on the same level as their other cans.

2.45/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz poured into a shaker pint.

A - Almost clear golden color. Nice carbonation. Head dissipates quickly.

S - First nose yields powerful odor. Not pleasant. Second whiff shows a little more pils malt, but still not pleasant.

T - Starts clean, which I like. But quickly turns to that rough aftertaste. Very heavy in pils character, too much so.

M - Feels light and refreshing. Smell and aftertaste quickly ruin it.

Generally enjoy good pilsners and lighter crafts. Love OB in general, too! This one has high marks, but as my drinking partner says "it tastes like foot."

2.48/5  rDev -31.3%

A foamy eggshell white head settles down relatively quick to soapy looking lace on the side of the glass. Millions of tiny bubbles in the light straw color body.

Big time bread, grain, and a little grass. Nothing else, kind of boring.

Bread, grain, no bitterness, extremely boring and bland. Taste slightly better than a Macro Lager.

Carbonation is light, watery mouth feel, not much substance to this at all.

Yikes! This is pretty bland. This tastes like a sweeter Miller Lite. I'm going to follow up with another yikes because I paid almost nine bucks for a six pack of "craft" beer. I will just give it to a macro beer lover, I guess.

2.48/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured a light yellow with a thin white head

Not a whole lot of scent coming off but faint corn and lemon

Taste followed the nose with a but of a sour dough taste up front followed by lemon and floral hop.

Not all that complex while the body was a little thin and finished dry

Not a terrible beer, just wasn't all that great in my opinion

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Oskar Blues Mama’s Little Yellow Pils….in a can

Appearance-a dark gold color, a little straw-ish, with a one finger head that goes away quickly.

Smell-subdued hop aroma mixed with the grainy and funk alcohol of stronger pilsners. Not quite as aromatic as I’d hoped.

Taste/Mouthfeel-medium mouthfeel, heavy carbonation, sour straw flavor, light hops, a mix of alcohol and cooked corn, ok smoothness, finishes with a final note of straw.

Overall-missing the crisp flavor profile of a true pilsner, the flavors are more jumbled also and not all that satisfying. Not a disaster, but not great. Disappointing.

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served on tap at Oskar Blues Tap room

A- light yellow with a white head

S- not much of an aroma, light smell of yeast and malt

T- light pilsner taste, nice finish with a lingering bite

M- watery

O- not a fan of pilsners, so I'm a bit biased, but definitely my least favorite Oskar Blues beer

Mama's Little Yella Pils from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew