Mama's Little Yella Pils - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Czech Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 02-25-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mama's Little Yella Pils Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

A: pours a clear straw yellow into a DFH signature glass with a finger of pure white head that thins to about a quarter inch. It has enough carbonation to keep the thin head up for a while and leaves some spotted lacing.

S: crisp clean green apple, light crystal malt. A bit spicy.

T: apricots and apples right of the bat. Sweet malt and cloves muddle in the middle and lead to a soft sweet lemon hop taste.

MF: light, crisp and refreshing. A bit watered down but not bad.

O: a good beer, I would however probably stick with something more local and a little less expensive.

nickthetick, Apr 27, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

Probably my least favorite of the Oskar Blues releases I've had thus far. This beer pours as a clear yellow color with foamy white head that has a pretty good lacing for a little while. The aroma was grainy and a little hoppy. The taste was kinda bland, there was some malts and hops in the flavor but that's about all. Not too much else really happening in this brew. I suppose this is better if you reay like those types of beers but to me they're a little boring.

Knapp85, Apr 26, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

This was a wonderful pilsner. A reminded of what the beer style should taste like.

The beer was a nice golden straw color and was lightly carbonated.

A slight hop smell was present but the aroma was fairly bland overall.

What was most impressive was the warm taste and great texture of this beer. Warm and refreshing.

An great pilsner that I would be more than happy to drink again.

LeeryLeprechaun, Apr 24, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -27.7%

A - Yella Pils has a very clear, light yellow color. Definitely in the lower single digit SRMs. The head has a light creamy texture and leaves a nice lace.

S - I'm not sure if they used adjuncts in brewing this beer, but it smells like an adjunct light lager, with a corny, vegetal aroma.

T - Again, more cooked corn character and a little spiciness. Only slightly maltier than most macro examples, but overall pretty watery and bland. The sweet aftertaste is actually pretty nice.

M - Light to medium body and fairly dry.

O - I do like a well brewed pilsner, but this example is not far off from the watery macro pils. Maybe that was their goal? Either way, I won't be having this again.

SirSketch, Apr 23, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

A: Pours a golden straw color with very little head.

S: Aroma of lemon and straw mixed together with a decent floral note as well.

T: Light malt character up front with lemons mixed in. Fades to a subtle sweet corn like flavor.

O: Pilseners really aren't my thing but this one is very well done. Brought these to a recent tailgate and they were perfect.

rebel1771, Apr 18, 2011
1.15/5  rDev -67.8%

Split a can of this last night. Thank God I split it, because I couldn't drink all of this.

Poured a fair enough golden yellow, smelling like hops, malt, and yeast. Innocuous enough.

But the taste. Oh, the taste. Sort of had floral-y notes to me....if they were incredibly stale. Every drink of this almost made me vomit, and I couldn't shake it. Ugh.

Typical carbonation, I guess.

Overall, one of the worst beers I've ever had. I mean, if people like it, go for it. Maybe this style just doesn't work for me.

RTJakarta, Apr 16, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured into (of course) a pilsner glass. Straw colored with a bright white head of about three fingers. Very bubbly. The head is breaking down quickly and doesn't seem like it's gonna leave much lace. At the end it does leave a decent amount of lace.

Smell is very bready from the yeast. I'm trying, but not getting much more from the nose.

The taste is a bit better than the smell. It still is quite a bit bread, yeast flavors. It does also have some sweeter malt flavors. Not much hop flavors at all. I do need to remind myself that I'm reviewing a Pils and nothing more.

The mouth is kind of watery, but what the style should be,,,, drinkable!

I am no expert on this style but I am trying to be subjective. Other than Deschutes 18th anniversary, (which was fantastic) I don't think I've had much Pilsner. I think there is a reason why. It's light and watery. Chick beer in my opinion.

azdback, Apr 11, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

appearance - bright golden color with fluffy white head

smell - grass, bread, hops, faint citrus

taste - earthy flavor with some hops, wheat, little afterflavor of citrus

mouthfeel - light to medium mouthfeel, ample carbonation, slightly bitter in the finish

overall - this is a good beverage to have when you don't want to think too much about flavor profile, this is a straightforward, refreshing beverage that i'm happy to drink

keithmurray, Apr 09, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -15.1%

Canned on 2.21.11

A. Brilliant yellow, great clarity. Not much head on this one, and the retention is very low.

S. Smelling a bit of pilsner malt here. Not much going on otherwise.

T. Sweet malt up front, followed by a bitter finish. Bitterness lingers on the tongue and there is a bit of a "cornchip" aftertaste as well. Breathing out I can get a bit of grassiness from hops.

M. Mouthfeel is on the low side of medium. I would have liked to have higher carbonation on this one as well.

O. Overall, this is a decent beer; however, for the price I paid it definitely wasn't worth it. Part of the motivation was the can, but there are plenty of better pilsners out there in bottles. I probably will not buy it again.

devilishprune, Apr 08, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -10.9%

I had this on tap over at the Hard Time's Cafe in Woodbridge, VA.

A: Crystal clear, mustard yellow color, with a massive powder white head with a very dense bubble formation. The lacing left on the glass afterwards was pretty ridiculous.

S: Faint smell of German malts, with a hint of baked good-like sweetness... bready indeed!

T: Sort of like a stale lemon Jolly Rancher upfront. Even though this subsided after a few sips, I got sort of a vomit-like aftertaste overall that kinda bothered me.

M: Moderate to low carbonation, with very tempered sweetness overall. Thick enough for the style....

O: I would definitely have a hard time drinking two of these back to back. This was just so-so.

Chaney, Apr 08, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -1.1%

Mama's Little Yella Pils. great name. Awesome can. I've liked other Oskar Blues beers so lets crack into my second beer of Pilsner night.

Pours a bright yellow color. It's slightly hazy with a good foamy white head with fantastic retention. Some lacing. Smells of grass, flowers, citrus, lemon. A bit of a sour grape or chardonnay smell.

Wow. Somewhat watery. Not extremely hoppy or malted. A very light tasting beer. That's fine, let's move on to the flavors. Tangy. Spicy, hints of lemony citrus, grass, and hay. The mouthfeel is light to medium with a good clean composition and a nice tangy finish. I think this is a drinkable beer but it lacks the light bitterness necessary to balance out the excessive sweetness of this beer.

Oskar blues products are bit expensive in CA, I'd buy this for $7.99 a six pack but no more.

BerkeleyBeerMan, Apr 07, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer pours a cloudy bright gold in color with a slight white head that laces the glass. I definitely didn't expect it to be this cloudy but it looks good, and kind of like a saison. It smells of pale malt, light honey, and very light hops. The flavor is kind of flat and uninspired. Its just the usual pilsner. It drinks a little thicker for the style but in a good way. This beer is just average but its nice to see a pilsner in a can that isn't BMC.

aasher, Apr 04, 2011

Poured from the can into my Duvel tulip. This is what BMC pilsners aspire to be. Smell was mildly hoppy and sweet. Nice yellow spritzy color. Taste was basic but delicious. I can tell this would be great for a day of yardwork. Mouthfeel was light but still flavorful. Overall a good choice.

rdub, Apr 03, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

Mama's Little Yella Pils has a yellow colour and a 5 mm head. The smell isn't particularly strong, but there is some noticeable hops and grains. The flavour is hoppy and grainy. This is one of the nicer pilsners I've had. It's foamy and fresh tasting.

vandemonian, Mar 28, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

On tap. Pours a somewhat hazy yellow with a thin head. Good amount of lacing. Aromas of grass, hops, yeast and slightly sour. Taste is a slight hop flavor with a cut grass taste. Light and crisp. Lemon peel aftertaste. Overall it is a pretty decent pils and I will look for this when summer rolls around.

PicoPapa, Mar 24, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

continuing on my pilsner conquest of the 52 degree 3/18/11 weather in cuse. I think canned pilsners and pale ales will be my new THANG this summer for camping in the adirondacks

A- a saison, unfiltered yellow look with lacing all over. It looks like a hefeweizen that mingled with some farm house funk. I see the yellow aspects. Some trickery on the look perhaps? Or maybe it's just differentiation

S- nice! Fresh barnyard lemony scent that I get pumped over. A tad musty but up lifting at the same time. Even some light dryness

T- hoppy flavors of musty freshness (does that work?) in the form of a sweet lemony finish. There are taste aspects that want to go saison, but there circle back to just some normal flavors

M- light bodied with flavors that coate the palate with dry flavor. It's a decent experience

D- Yella pils is very refreshing with the lemony taste that dazzles in musty flavor. I can definitely optimize the can aspects and dunk some pilsner if you know what I mean

lovindahops, Mar 19, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

I poured a 12 oz can into a glass mug...

The beer is a very pale, yellow color with a thin white head that faded quickly. The beer smells of lemon and tea and it seemed a bit sour and it had some floral hop aromas. It tastes lemony and yeasty, there is a bready background and a citrusy bitter aftertaste. The beer is light with lots of prickly carbonation, it finishes pretty dry. This is a really good pilsner, different than most and it has a nice hop profile.

JMad, Mar 16, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

Canned approximately three weeks ago.

Pours a crystal clear straw yellow capped with a coarse head of large bubbles. Some lacing finds its way onto my pint glass, but not much.

The aroma is mostly of floral hops. It is clean, mild, and pleasant.

The hops actually yield to the malt quite a bit in the taste; lightly sweet, and accompanied by zesty, spicy hops. The finish is has a grainy taste as well as a firm bitterness, but all of these fades quickly, leaving a fairly clean palate. Oddly enough, the bitterness is far less prominent until the finish. Overall clean, but not quite crisp.

The mouthfeel on this is thicker than what I'd expect from a pilsener. This is a fairly easy drinker and has a moderate ABV.. Probably not something I'd pick up again, but I'm glad I tried it.

Sneers, Mar 16, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +5%

Reviewed from notes:

Clear golden yellow colored body. Pure white colored head with some stickiness to it but at one finger thick it wasn't quite big enough for me.

Grainy malt presence with a slightly sweet cereal grain aroma. Grassy and slightly herbal hop aroma mixes in well with this.

Malty sweet presence, very reminiscent of the authentic lagers from this part of the world but not really enough hops in there for a pils. Notes of bready grain with a bit of toasted flavors. Hops are there with a bit of floral and grassy flavor but there could be more.

Mouthfeel is clean, crisp, and refreshing. Overall, this beer is a enjoyable and easy to drink and I can see myself bringing this along on a hot summer camping trip.

Kinsman, Mar 13, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours from can into a tulip with a hazy straw color and a frothy white head about 2 1/2 fingers high. Beautiful beer when held up to the light.

Earthy aroma, yeast,sweet grains and a little grassiness.

Grains predominate, bready spine and some lemon ans mild hops on the back end.

Good carbonation and mouthfeel, crisp and refreshing.

Easy drinking, good pils, could get one dimensional. Definitely a quencher for those long summer days.

rawfish, Mar 10, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

From can into a Stemmed Stella glass.

It had been a while since I last had an Oscar Blues beer. I was looking for my session beer of the week, and this one caught my eye. 35 IBU, 5.3 ABV.

A: Slightly foggy golden color with a good bright white two finger head that collapses into a nice white cap, it leaves some spotty lacing.

S: My nose if slightly plugged today, so I had to really swirl this and get a good sniff during the pour. It leads with the flowery hoppyness of Czech or maybe German hops, also a bit of sweet maltyness. Not quite the sharp hoppyness of a Pilsner Urquell but close. Nice indeed.

T: I wish there were some more hops in the taste. It seams to be a bit lacking for it's style, not by much though. A almost perfect balance of hops to malt, but again another 5 IBU would have done it for me. There is a bit of lingering sweetness.

M: A great body with nice levels of carbonation makes this a very enjoyable beer.

D: A truly quaffable beer. I will be buying this once again, I think I found my go to session for the summer.

I wish I would have picked this one up long ago, it fits in nicely with PU, Victory Prima Pils, Paulaner Premium Pils and other great pilsners.

DoSerMaN, Mar 08, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a tulip glass.

Not a huge fan of Pils, but I love Oskar Blues, so here it goes:

A-Pale straw slightly veiled appearance with a one inch creamy head that seems to lace nicely.

S-Nose is predominantly sweet grains. Pungent. Picking up a hint of bananna as well.

T-Nose carries through to the palate. Grains and a hint of bananna, a wee bit of hops at the back end. Good thirst quencher but can't say much else positive about this. Seems to be a decent stab at the style.

M-Well balanced mouthfeel and carbonation

D-Decent changeup on a hot summer day when I might get sick of IPAs or PAs (if that ever happens) The fact that this comes in a can opens up the whole beach and pool thing, and this is probably a great gateway brew for the BMC crowd.

Love 'ya Oskar Blues, but I'll stick with my Dales and Gordon (excuse me...G'Knight)

caddybuyer, Mar 07, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +5%

Another study in my never ending attempt to distinguish between German and Czech Pilsners. Has a more 'solid' yellow color which has me put a check in the Czech column. The smell and taste are much drier and hoppier, the malt not being so sweet, but more cereal-y and bread-y. After drinking it, I was convinced it was German. Apparently I'm wrong. Good beer, though.

wcintula, Mar 06, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -5.3%

Bought a can at Brendan Behan pub in JP last night for $5. Smell had a fresh pils aroma to it, nothing like some of the skunky German ones you might come across. Can't beat the freshness of a can. Taste was clean and crisp and refreshing, which is what I wanted after dinner and a few other beers. Mouthfeel was light and bubbly, which is what a pils should be. Easily drinkable, as it's smooth, light, and low in abv. Nothing fancy, just a well made pilsner to consume at ease.

morebeergood, Mar 06, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Served from can to pilsner glass

A: Very nice light golden color

S: Decent malty crisp smell

T: Nice clean golden taste

M: Flavor is great but does not stay on my pallet very long

D: I could crush about 12 of these and make an ass out of my self