Mama's Little Yella Pils - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

good

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Czech Pilsener |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: GilGarp on 02-25-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mama's Little Yella Pils Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -2%

355ml Can

Appearance - Clear gold/yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is a below average amount of carbonation showing and there is a fair amount of lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, lemons, hops

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste breads/grains mixed with light hops and some lemons. There is also a bit of a honey sweetness to the beer. It finishes with a grain and lemony aftertaste.

Overall – Nothing here that will blow you away, but it's is still a very nice tasting ans refreshing beer. I could see myself drinking a whole bunch of these on a camping trip this summer.

spinrsx, May 24, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

Maybe the best pilsner I've ever had.

A: A tiny amount of cloudiness but overall it's pale, golden and largely still.

S: A who's-who of nice pilsner smells, ranging from forest to field. Awesome.

T: Oh, yes. Here's where it all comes together. This is just beautiful. Buttered corn on the cob with black pepper and then a burst of lemon at the end. Just the right balance of flavour and refreshment.

M: There's a surprising among of body here for such a pale pilsner - this is one you'll remember.

I bought one can of this as part of a mixed six. Now I need to get a case of it. Absolutely incredible pilsner.

nach0king, May 22, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Mama's Little Yella Pils pours a thick yellowish-orange color, with only a gentle head that quickly recedes. The smell is mild but citrusy, with perhaps just a hint of yeast to it. Little Yella Pils is cool, crisp and refreshing, perfectly capturing summer in a can, with a mouthfeel that puts the major brands to shame. This is a no-nonsense session beer, bright and frisky. It's a refreshing change to the never-ending parade of American IPAs. Have one; you won't regret it.

farlieonfootie, May 21, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a pilsner glass.

A: Deep golden hue with a slight chill haze. Fluffy white head settles very quickly to a thin lace on the surface. Lively carbonation makes for a decent-looking brew.

S: Somewhat fruity on the nose, followed by hints of cereal grains and a floral hop aroma.

T: Very balanced flavor. grainy malt up front, with a slight hint of green apple and lemon peel. Honey undertones lead the way to a floral, grassy hop profile, and leading to a crisp, bitter finish.

Notes: This well-balanced pils is a real treat. light to medium in body, along with the perfect amount of carbonation to give it a lively, refreshing mouthfeel. Quite tasty, and very easy to drink. This is a perfect beer for Summer grilling or just hanging out on the deck.

WYVYRN527, May 17, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +5%

Poured a 12 oz can to a Pilsner flute. Poured clear yellow, the same yellow as on the can, with wonderful streams of bubbles and a frothy white head. Nice rings of lacing. Smell was noticeable even from a distance. An enticing yeasty, doughy noble hop aroma. The appearance and smell were the highlights of this pils.

Taste cracker like with a noble hop backbone and slightly lemony tart finish. Mouthfeel was light and dry. Overall, I found the taste enjoyable and refreshing, but a bit thin, and the same with the mouthfeel. Ironically, the thinness, though not my preference, is why I might come back to this beer because I suspect my wife will love it.

hiku7, May 13, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

(Cans purchased ~May 2011)

Appearance: Rich yellow color. a bit hazy.

Smell: Cereal. Subdued. Sort of the classic "BMC" smell, but in a good way.

Taste: Cereal first, then drying out midway. Bittering hops make their presence known in the back half. Almost an over-dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Fine. Refreshing. Nicely carbonated. A bit drying.

Overall: A fine Pils in a can. Much better than alternatives.

Recommended

sweetwaterman, May 11, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Cloudy yellow with a healthy and well-retained white head on top. If I didn't know better, I'd say it almost looks like a wheat beer. Smell is interesting as well, with some muted hops and maybe some sweet lemon smells that catch my fancy.

Fuller-bodied and creamier than a normal pilsner is the first thing I notice. Then I catch a fairly strong lemon taste followed by some citrusy hops and a slight wheat beer taste that seems strange to me considering the style. However, that being said, I really like it. It's a different take on things, which is okay by me with OB. Not the most refreshing pils I've ever had, but I also wouldn't say no to it on a hot summer day. Good beer that I'd probably drink again.

chodinheaven, May 08, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

A - Nice deep yellow color with a moderate white head, foamy. Great lacing. A perfect 5 for the style.

S - Very smooth and basic, but for a pils it has a great scent. Very vanilla and piney.

T - Calming brew... Very delicious on a hot day. I'm not a big Pils fan, but this one has very good flavor.

M - Light bodied and very lightly carbonated. Great for the style...

D - Very drinkable, light, dry, and airy.

Great brew! Consistent and delicious! Nice work Oskar!

chugalug06, May 08, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

A- Pours yellow, a hazy yellow, with about a finger and a half of head with the look of shaving cream on a commercial.

S- Smells of lemon, a little spice- maybe white pepper, some crisp bread, or even a saltine cracker.

T- Taste is about the same as the smell with some more power. The spiciness is def there which is nice and interesting. The lemon is a little more powerful. Some fresh veggie notes- somewhere more vegetal than cut grass- more like salad greens or parsley. A little bit of grapefruit on the aftertaste

M- Very refreshing, good carbonation. Bitterness is present but not overpowering.

O- A pretty good easy drinker. Hop characteristic is nice, malts just form a baseline. I like it.

zdk9, May 05, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into a shaker, because this is America (and I broke my only Pilsner glass).

Pours a clear pale yellow color with about two fingers worth of frothy white head. Slim layer of foam on top, hardly any lacing left behind.

Floral hops, coarse grain, and pilsner malt combine for a classic hoppy pilsner aroma.

Tastes of floral and herbal hops, with grainy, cereal like bread notes.

Fairly dry and even a bit spicy. A touch on the hoppy side for a pilsner, but still quite balanced.

A fantastically refreshing beer. Perfect for those hot summer days.

billshmeinke, May 03, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

Tasted April 15th 2011 (from notes)

Poured into a New Belgium snifter

A - Cloudy dandelion gold/yellow, no head or lacing

S - Subtle hops, grain malts, a bit citrusy and piney

T - Subtle flavors like the smell. Hops, malt, some wheat, yeast. The citrus notes are nice

M - Light, fluffy, a bit carbonated. Nice long finish

D - Drinks smooth. Light but full flavored, not a high ABV, but 5.5% is nice

Final thought - Pils fans, this one is for you

whatthehull, May 03, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

Straight from the can to my tulip. It pours a golden color that actually matches the gold color on the can. It has a nice white foamy head with pretty nice lacing. It has a heavy velvety mouthfeel for a pilsner with medium carbonation. It is very tasty. Fruit forward notes with a malty middle and a slight hoppy floral finish. I can honestly say that this is my favorite pilsner from a can. This will definitely be a staple during the summer time whenever I am going poolside or where glass if frowned upon.

tekn0ph1sh, May 02, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

Yellow color with a frothy head that slowly dies down to a nice thin layer.

Smells wonderful. I'm picking up a very nutty nose in the malts. Very light hops.

Tasting the hops come in from the back. A really nice bitter aftertaste. Some florals in there.

Nice thick mouth for a Pilsener. Some good fizz, with medium carbonation.

Overall this is one of my favorite pilseners. Very drinkable and light, while maintaining lots of flavor.

kyleelton, Apr 30, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

A: pours a clear straw yellow into a DFH signature glass with a finger of pure white head that thins to about a quarter inch. It has enough carbonation to keep the thin head up for a while and leaves some spotted lacing.

S: crisp clean green apple, light crystal malt. A bit spicy.

T: apricots and apples right of the bat. Sweet malt and cloves muddle in the middle and lead to a soft sweet lemon hop taste.

MF: light, crisp and refreshing. A bit watered down but not bad.

O: a good beer, I would however probably stick with something more local and a little less expensive.

nickthetick, Apr 28, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

Probably my least favorite of the Oskar Blues releases I've had thus far. This beer pours as a clear yellow color with foamy white head that has a pretty good lacing for a little while. The aroma was grainy and a little hoppy. The taste was kinda bland, there was some malts and hops in the flavor but that's about all. Not too much else really happening in this brew. I suppose this is better if you reay like those types of beers but to me they're a little boring.

Knapp85, Apr 26, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

This was a wonderful pilsner. A reminded of what the beer style should taste like.

The beer was a nice golden straw color and was lightly carbonated.

A slight hop smell was present but the aroma was fairly bland overall.

What was most impressive was the warm taste and great texture of this beer. Warm and refreshing.

An great pilsner that I would be more than happy to drink again.

LeeryLeprechaun, Apr 24, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -27.7%

A - Yella Pils has a very clear, light yellow color. Definitely in the lower single digit SRMs. The head has a light creamy texture and leaves a nice lace.

S - I'm not sure if they used adjuncts in brewing this beer, but it smells like an adjunct light lager, with a corny, vegetal aroma.

T - Again, more cooked corn character and a little spiciness. Only slightly maltier than most macro examples, but overall pretty watery and bland. The sweet aftertaste is actually pretty nice.

M - Light to medium body and fairly dry.

O - I do like a well brewed pilsner, but this example is not far off from the watery macro pils. Maybe that was their goal? Either way, I won't be having this again.

SirSketch, Apr 23, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

A: Pours a golden straw color with very little head.

S: Aroma of lemon and straw mixed together with a decent floral note as well.

T: Light malt character up front with lemons mixed in. Fades to a subtle sweet corn like flavor.

O: Pilseners really aren't my thing but this one is very well done. Brought these to a recent tailgate and they were perfect.

rebel1771, Apr 18, 2011
1.15/5  rDev -67.8%

Split a can of this last night. Thank God I split it, because I couldn't drink all of this.

Poured a fair enough golden yellow, smelling like hops, malt, and yeast. Innocuous enough.

But the taste. Oh, the taste. Sort of had floral-y notes to me....if they were incredibly stale. Every drink of this almost made me vomit, and I couldn't shake it. Ugh.

Typical carbonation, I guess.

Overall, one of the worst beers I've ever had. I mean, if people like it, go for it. Maybe this style just doesn't work for me.

RTJakarta, Apr 16, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into (of course) a pilsner glass. Straw colored with a bright white head of about three fingers. Very bubbly. The head is breaking down quickly and doesn't seem like it's gonna leave much lace. At the end it does leave a decent amount of lace.

Smell is very bready from the yeast. I'm trying, but not getting much more from the nose.

The taste is a bit better than the smell. It still is quite a bit bread, yeast flavors. It does also have some sweeter malt flavors. Not much hop flavors at all. I do need to remind myself that I'm reviewing a Pils and nothing more.

The mouth is kind of watery, but what the style should be,,,, drinkable!

I am no expert on this style but I am trying to be subjective. Other than Deschutes 18th anniversary, (which was fantastic) I don't think I've had much Pilsner. I think there is a reason why. It's light and watery. Chick beer in my opinion.

azdback, Apr 11, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

appearance - bright golden color with fluffy white head

smell - grass, bread, hops, faint citrus

taste - earthy flavor with some hops, wheat, little afterflavor of citrus

mouthfeel - light to medium mouthfeel, ample carbonation, slightly bitter in the finish

overall - this is a good beverage to have when you don't want to think too much about flavor profile, this is a straightforward, refreshing beverage that i'm happy to drink

keithmurray, Apr 09, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -15.1%

Canned on 2.21.11

A. Brilliant yellow, great clarity. Not much head on this one, and the retention is very low.

S. Smelling a bit of pilsner malt here. Not much going on otherwise.

T. Sweet malt up front, followed by a bitter finish. Bitterness lingers on the tongue and there is a bit of a "cornchip" aftertaste as well. Breathing out I can get a bit of grassiness from hops.

M. Mouthfeel is on the low side of medium. I would have liked to have higher carbonation on this one as well.

O. Overall, this is a decent beer; however, for the price I paid it definitely wasn't worth it. Part of the motivation was the can, but there are plenty of better pilsners out there in bottles. I probably will not buy it again.

devilishprune, Apr 09, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -10.9%

I had this on tap over at the Hard Time's Cafe in Woodbridge, VA.

A: Crystal clear, mustard yellow color, with a massive powder white head with a very dense bubble formation. The lacing left on the glass afterwards was pretty ridiculous.

S: Faint smell of German malts, with a hint of baked good-like sweetness... bready indeed!

T: Sort of like a stale lemon Jolly Rancher upfront. Even though this subsided after a few sips, I got sort of a vomit-like aftertaste overall that kinda bothered me.

M: Moderate to low carbonation, with very tempered sweetness overall. Thick enough for the style....

O: I would definitely have a hard time drinking two of these back to back. This was just so-so.

Chaney, Apr 08, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mama's Little Yella Pils. great name. Awesome can. I've liked other Oskar Blues beers so lets crack into my second beer of Pilsner night.

Pours a bright yellow color. It's slightly hazy with a good foamy white head with fantastic retention. Some lacing. Smells of grass, flowers, citrus, lemon. A bit of a sour grape or chardonnay smell.

Wow. Somewhat watery. Not extremely hoppy or malted. A very light tasting beer. That's fine, let's move on to the flavors. Tangy. Spicy, hints of lemony citrus, grass, and hay. The mouthfeel is light to medium with a good clean composition and a nice tangy finish. I think this is a drinkable beer but it lacks the light bitterness necessary to balance out the excessive sweetness of this beer.

Oskar blues products are bit expensive in CA, I'd buy this for $7.99 a six pack but no more.

BerkeleyBeerMan, Apr 07, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer pours a cloudy bright gold in color with a slight white head that laces the glass. I definitely didn't expect it to be this cloudy but it looks good, and kind of like a saison. It smells of pale malt, light honey, and very light hops. The flavor is kind of flat and uninspired. Its just the usual pilsner. It drinks a little thicker for the style but in a good way. This beer is just average but its nice to see a pilsner in a can that isn't BMC.

aasher, Apr 04, 2011