Join our email list →

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States | website

Czech Pilsener | 5.30% ABV

Beer added by: GilGarp on 02-25-2009

Mama's Little Yella Pils - Our upcoming new canned good is a small-batch version of the beer that made Pilsen, Czechoslovakia famous. Mama's is made with hearty amounts of pale malt, German specialty malts, and a blend of traditional (Saaz) and 21st century Bavarian hops. Our first canned lager, it's also fermented at cool temperatures with a German yeast.

This tasteful reality Czech is the perfect antidote for the watered-down versions of pilsner clogging Americaâ's shelves. And Mama's gentle hopping (about 35 IBUs) and low ABV (just 5.3%) mean we're finally honoring consumer requests for a delicious but less-challenging beer. (Hey, we like a good low-dose session beer, too.) Look for our Gold Metal Winner on US shelves in March.

Sadly, the Feds rejected our Take Two and Call Us in the Morning line on the can.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mama's Little Yella Pils Alström Bros
Reviews: 837 | Hads: 2,975
3.56/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a 1 finger white head. Pale golden clear body in color. Head retention was slightly above average and lacing was great.

Smell is of light straw malt and not much else

Taste is similar to smell. Light straw malts and faint hops. Very simple beer

Mouth feel is light and crisp. Highly carbonated but head adds some thickness going down

Over all above average light beer. Definitely session able but too simple to really rate it high

3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

Writing from memory here but managed to scribble a few notes.

Poured a nice light yellow, had once from a can and once from tap and the can's head stuck about longer. The head was nice and fluffy and left a little spotted lacing.

Smells of Czech hops, and then European yeast. A little sweeter and not qite as crisp as other Pilsners, but still nice.

Tasted quite floral and sweet. The European yeast is definitely there to taste. Has a nice fruity aftertaste

Mouthfeel is actually quite full for a Pilsner.

Over all a good offering, but not going to displace some European offerings from my favourite Pilsners

3.9/5  rDev +8%

I only wish Ohio could get this stuff, because i always wanted to have an all time pilsner in my fridge. This funky little beer is exactly what i was looking for. Poured out of it's cool little can into a roughly foot tall pilsner glass and released a head with rather large bubbles that didn't stick around too long. Nor did they leave a lasting lace. the aromas are of noble earthy noble hops, come horse blanket musty-ness and hay/straw. The perfect grain flavor comes through on the first sip along with the background of hops. there has to be some carapils malt in this, it's rather sweet. The mouth feel lends perfectly to the style of this beer. It's light, brightly carbonated, and sharp bubbles. Smooth soft feel, when the carbonation settles in your mouth. And finishes exceedingly dry. i like this beer a lot. i would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a great example of a classic pilsner.

3.34/5  rDev -7.5%

Deep gold in color with a niche 2 finger frothy head of white with moderate retention and bubbly lace.

Fresh grassy hop aromas with a lemony type backbone and biscuity malt presence. A bit of cereal grain as well.

Slightly sweet and out of balance. Malt is really cereal driven and missing on the hop end especially in the middle. Carbonation level is light as well. A bit creamy in the middle but could use more carbo there. Carbo does come into effect upon the end and finish. A bit acidic on the finish as well.

3.97/5  rDev +10%

Thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing this beer with me- -poured chilled from the can into a tumbler

A - A straw golden w/ thick fluffy white cap. Clarity is good, the bead is average size and lace sticks to the glass

S - A pleasant malty aroma almost like a cracker or mild yeasty bread there is a gentle hop note, but mild spice aroma mostly

M &T - A nice balance of malt and spicey hops, the sweetness is mild w/ plenty of pils flavor w/ nice malt texture/flavor and the touch of graininess in the finish. a mild sweet flavor w/ taste of hops the dry essence is crisp and

D - A very good lager the hops are subdued for a west coast pils, but I feel the beer is a good representation of the style. I like the clean tasting quality and this pils hits the spot if you like the style you won't be dissapointed. This would go great with sweet grilled sausage or a good old fashioned American burger for summer grilling.

3.35/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a shade darker than most pils, still a completely clear straw color. The head was disappointing quite small and didn't last long. The aroma is barely there, perhaps a touch of grassy hops. The taste is a bit grassy and a touch grainy, perhaps a smidge of butter?? No real cracker like malt or grassy/dry noble hops. Basically tastes like a non-adjuncty lager. Very neutral flavor, probably great for tailgating. Light to moderate body with less than crisp carbonation, finishes quite neutral. Drinks outstandingly easy, no strong or odd flavors to hold any sort of beer drinker back. This is a very boring and bland pils, not much flavor at all. I would still pick it up for a day of drinking at a BBQ or tailgate.

3.68/5  rDev +1.9%

12 ounce can poured into the new SA glass. Comes in at 5.3%. Unable to read the brewed on date on the bottom of the can.

A-Pours a clear straw yellow with a one finger white head that checks out early into a decent ring. Good amount of bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass.

S-Not a huge nose. Saaz hops and grain dominate, along with some bready notes.

T-Lots of Saaz hops upfront. Grainy in the middle and back. Has some spice and sweetness on the back of the palate.

M-Medium bodied and thicker than a lot of pilseners. Smooth with a level of carbonation that is not overly crisp.

D-Goes down easily and is decent for a low abv beer.

Not bad, not great is the best way to sum up this beer. I probably would not go out of my way to order this again. I like the convenience of cans, but I would prefer a sixer of Dale's if I were looking to drink a few from these guys.

3.07/5  rDev -15%

Pours a golden straw yellow with a big, foamy white head containing loosely collected carbonation bubbles giving way to disorganized lacing.

Grassy or straw hops, yeast, and citrus aromas.

The palate features grassy or earthy hops, yeast, and grain.

Light in body, medium in carbonation, fairly crisp, and perhaps a touch acidic.

This pils falls somewhere in the middle of the hierarchy of the style. Easy to drink, some nice characteristics, but just lacking in flavor. . . not bad overall.

4.08/5  rDev +13%

poured liked just like a high life, pale fizzy and lots of head
smells nothing like a high life, suble grassy sweet notes and a floral hoppiness lingering in the back
subtle taste, grassy floral hops, sweet malt, all balanced well
very effevecent mouthfeel, highly drinkable, great lake beer

3.69/5  rDev +2.2%

a: massive head fills my pilsner glass before half the can is emptied - but for all this no lace, the beer itself is a golden staw color

s: nose of minerally pilsner malt and soft, grassy hops, a touch of grainy corn sweetness, slight note of sulfur

m: carbonation on the low side of medium, a bit slack, with a nice body that tends towards the light side without being thin, could be a little sharper on the palate, but it's fine

t: pilsner malt body with a soft, grassy hop presence, a slight sweetness, moderately bitter to finish with lingering grain

o: a good pilsner that could be great with a couple tweaks, but highly drinkable regardless, has a nice amount of character and serves as a well-rounded lager

single from Whole Foods, Reston, VA

tweaked slightly 4/18/13

3.5/5  rDev -3%

A- Pours a clear gold color with a white head. Not too much lacing here though.

S- Not a whole lot going on here. Grainy and grassy hops is about all I can pick up.

T- Bready and pale malts is about it. Not too bad just not a whole lot going on.

M- Crisp, light in body and good carbonation.

D- Refreshing and easy to drink.

3.35/5  rDev -7.2%

A: Straw colored with an immediate large but not dense head. Good retention and lacing.

S: Mild spicyness and floral nose with a touch of grain. Definitely allow this to warm, as the graininess is much more pronounced at cold temps.

T: Spicy and grainy. Slightly fruit but mostly grain dominated with a hop spice balancing it. Finish is crisp and mild hops but then shifts to a somewhat unpleasant grain flavor. Decent lager, but honestly am a little disappointed for such a great craft brewery.

M: Medium-full with equally high carbonation. A little fizzy.

D: Not too complex and I am a little conflicted as to whether or not I am enjoying the finish on this one. Not something I would drink many of and I probably will not revisit this.

3.76/5  rDev +4.2%

12oz. can

A - Pours a clear straw yellow with a big fluffy white head that slowly falls to a lumpy skim. Nice lacing.
S - Kind of an herbal hoppiness on the nose. A little malt sweetness - a little honey note.
T - Interesting - I get most of the taste on the back end on this one. A little lemon zest up front then some honey malt followed by some nice hop bitterness that doesn't stay around too long.
M/F - Light body with some creaminess to it. This beer has a very nice MF IMO. The carbonation is very delicate but yet totally there.
D - I scanned some review scores before I tasted and wasn't expecting too much - well I guess everybody has differing tastes! I like this beer. Next time my friend invites me out to go sailing on Narragansett Bay I know the beer to bring!

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

12oz fresh can into a Flying Fish pint glass. Gotta love a beer in a can.

A- They don't lie, this is a big yellow pilsner with some bright white gold spots and a straw look. A hard pour produced a big foamy loose white head that decreased quick. Some spots of lace here and there but not too thick.

S- Pilsner scents with malts giving off baked bread with some sweet scents. This fresh can displays the hops well as they can be smelled easily under the malt. Some grains and floral notes.

T- A nice pilsner that is a bit sweeter than others surprisingly and I like it. Some bread and grass with some spice towards the end. The hops dont come through in taste as much as I would like.

M- A bit thicker body on this than most pilsners but this one is light bodied. A good amount of carb from the canned version with a pleasant and short aftertaste. Refreshing and crisp.

D- A low ABV pilsner that I will be looking for in the summertime.

2.66/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

growler in pislner glass

a: the appearance is the best part of this beer. nice deep yellow, with an BMC head

s: butterscotch and nothing else

t: Sorry Oskar but you missed this one by a mile. I've never had such a diacetyl forward beer in my life. A little diacetyl, ok, but this is ridiculous. Butter and butterscotch. Why did you let this out of the door, where's the quality control. I don't think this was intentional, was it?

m: good mouthfeel

d: not good. matter of fact I feel ripped off on this one. what am I going to do with an entire growler of this stuff. That will teach me to sample first.

4.36/5  rDev +20.8%

A- Big ass head on top of a super clear, light-golden, yella colored body with multiple streams of quick moving bubbles. Interesting lace and amazing retention.

S- Floury. herbal spicy. Clean along with a scent of lager yeast that smells like iron to me.

T- This beer really delivers for a clear, yellow beer. Sweetness of honey, grainy malt, warm bread along with bitter herbal hop flavors. Simple, yet complete.

M- A bit viscous for a Pilsener, but that is expected at 5.3%ABV. Carbonation is spot on, playful without being annoying.

D- Light, yet hearty. Simple, yet complete. A very fulfilling beer for the style.

3.62/5  rDev +0.3%

Can poured into a pint glass. Hazy yellow-gold with a small white head that fades away pretty quickly. Cereal grain aroma with bready pilsener malt. Minor lemony character. Flavor is very crackery and bready with a modest pithy citric twang and a whisper of bitterness in the finish. Fairly crisp with light body and nice, fine carbonation. Good drinkability.

4.13/5  rDev +14.4%

A - One and a half fingers of white foam on a clear, yellow body. The head recedes at a leisurely pace and leaves nice, thick lace on the glass.

S - Musty noble hops and sweet malt. A hint of graham cracker and some grain.

T - Dry maltiness up front with balancing hop flavor. Herbal notes and distinct pilsner malt. The finish favors the hops with both flavor and very smooth bitterness.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a very dry finish.

D - Very drinkable, as it should be. With the excellent malt character and pleasing dryness it would be easy to take down a whole six-pack during a long evening. Too bad subtlety doesn't get more respect.

3.8/5  rDev +5.3%

I don't drink many Pilsners, so was not sure what to expect. It poured a cloudy pale amber with decent sudsy head that dissipated pretty quickly. I really could not smell a thing. It tasted good - extremely well balanced. Mild yeast, mild citrus. But nothing stood out as far as sweetness or bitterness. Which is not a bad thing. The drinkability is HIGH - I could probably drink a six-pack of these while playing frisbee golf or sitting outside on a warm day. A good summer beer and definitely worth a try.

3.79/5  rDev +5%

Need a beer after the last email of the day I somehow managed to:

A/ Call a guy named Daniel Mary and,
B/ Say "Trust your bust" instead of trust your busy.

... so I run home, look in the fridge and a Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pils is starting back at me. Got it as an extra, never tried it and ready to give it a run. Throw on the Pogues, drop the needle and away we go.

Crack the can and give it a pour... it looks like many pilsners I have had but smells very very potent; big frothy head that settles down quickly as if a crying kid found a lollypop. Nice and clear, actually looks a bit like the lead singer of the Pogues Shane McGowan's teeth; and by the time I start to plunk my anteater in for smell the head has completely dissipated.

Smells are bready and very malty... but with a nice hop bitterness to it. I get some lemon, I get some grass, and it all comes together quite nicely.

I don't drink many pilsners... but this seems to be missing something; or maybe not... it has a nice hoppiness to it, good grassy flavor, I even get a little fruit flavor going on. But something is still not sitting right. It's interesting, I can't put my finger on it. When I break it down... I do like the individual subtle nuances of it ,but after taking a step back doesn't sit right. I have actually been around people like that, I am sure we all have. Seem nice, buy you a drink, never do anything blatantly wrong but for some reason they just irk you. This taste doesn't irk me, I just can't figure it out and it's not the beers fault; its clearly mine.

Side note, the Pogues are an incredibly underrated band... Currently listening to "Hell & Ditch".. its fantastic. It's beautiful at some points, punk at others, it brings you up and down and back up and it's just a great listen.

Yella has a medium body, almost oily mouthfeel. Very crisp, lots of carbonation and very drinkable.

I mean it's a decent beer, nothing to rip my skivvies off over... but a nice pool side sipper.

And remember, when in dount.... Trust your bust

WOW!!! I can see how this won a gold metal! My goodness. I don't like pilsners (per se), but golly this is great. For the style, I can't find anything wrong with this wonderfully made beer. For me, this is the apitamy of what a summer drinkin' beer should be like...

A-Pours a crystal clear light yellow color with a HUGE white fluffy head that has GREAT retention, and leaves strong sticky lacing.

S-The scent of the pilsner "funk" fills the air right away, then I sniff closer and BEHOLD... the aroma of slightly floral hops hit my nostrals. And of coarse loads of pilsner malts are the star.

T-It tasts GREAT. Like I said, I don't like pilsners, I guess this just might convert me because, the flavor of this one is outstanding. I don't remember if I gave any beers a perfect score, but for the style, this one deserves it, for real. Smooth pilsner taste with earthy, floral hops in the back to balance. A little detectable bitterness, but it's almost not there because of the cleanness of the bittering hop.

M-And the mouthfeel. It is perfect! So creamy and smooth. It's not crisp, it's creamy, and for this style I can't get enough of it. SOooo creamy. It has a full medium body, very good.

D-I could drink this all night long. It's so good. Please go out and get a sixer, if you have'nt yet. You will be rewarded.

3.28/5  rDev -9.1%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

Mama's Little Yella Pils pours a pale yellow-gold with a short-lived one-and-a-half finger head. Small amounts of weak lace sticks to the glass.

The smell and taste are very subtle and a little grain-like, with a dominating malt presence and a sweet finish. The feel is stronger--it has a thick balanced bitterness and tingles the tongue a little. It's very easy to drink and would work nicely after a hard workout.

By and large, Mama's Little Yella Pils is better than, but not unlike Budweiser. Kind of like a craft brewery doing an imitation of a macro-brewery doing an imitation of a craft brew. It's not really necessary.

4.07/5  rDev +12.7%

Nose has sweet grain and soft malt, slight sourness, and a subtle bright hoppiness. Smells good.

Pours a medium-pale yellow, moderate clarity, moderate head. Looks fair.

Good sweetness - grainy and soft. Nice highlights of tartness. Some dry toasty bits. Mild bitterness happily sits backseat to sweetness. Tartness intensifies into a nice sourness to challenge the sweetness. Light citric/grassy/fresh notes. Lighter metallic/earthy/vegetal notes. Bitterness intensifies too - making a statement in the mouth. Tastes good. Feels good. High drinkability.

Another choice brew from Oskar Blues.

4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Poured a brilliantly clear and bright golden-straw with a bright white foamy capping. Retention was good with a slight broken ring lacing. Visible carbonation was very light with a microbubbly jet stream steadily rising.

S: The nose delivered a soft hopping with fresh pale grains, light lemon floral and straw hints giving this a subtle but very appreciable aroma making this a solid example.

T: sweet fresh grains with a touch of fresh lemon floral hopping. Light herbal notes and lemon grass give a beautiful soft touch while the zesty nature of the Czech saaz delivers a powerful sharp bite finishing spicy. Overall found the flavor to be exceptionally clean, well hopped, with a really nice pilsner malting. A beautiful zesty hop finish and abundance of hops gives this pilsner something extra to appreciate.

M: crisp, smooth and pretty full for a pilsner. A nice dry floral finish rounds things out in an otherwise solid example per style.

D: Drinkability was better then good, an all day drinker that was crisp, refreshing, hoppy and a cant miss. Case worthy, goes down effortlessly, and packable in cans makes this a go anywhere and drink anytime pilsner.

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a clear golden yellow with 2+ fingers of foamy brite-white head. Settles into a thin layer of retention that skims the surface, leaving some thick patchy lace back. The aroma is a tasty, but not overly assertive, mix of bread, citrus, and some lightly floral and spicy hops. Pretty standard Pils aroma, maybe even coming off as a little too sweet.

Hops luckily are a bit more forceful in the taste, imparting a a tight bitter and spicy character that balances a good bit of the sweetness from the citrus and grainy breadiness of the Pils malts. As this warms, some of the balance starts to shift once again to the sweet side. The mouthfeel is more medium bodied with a prickly and sharp carbonation that lasts the whole way through the swallow. Generally though, this remains fairly crisp and drinkable.

This was a decent enough Pils I suppose. Maybe a touch overly sweet but the crispness was there, as was a decent quaffability. Glad I tried this but I doubt that I'd invest in another six-pack.

Mama's Little Yella Pils from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew