Mama's Little Yella Pils | Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review

Mama's Little Yella PilsMama's Little Yella Pils

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Czech Pilsener

Mama's Little Yella Pils - Our upcoming new canned good is a small-batch version of the beer that made Pilsen, Czechoslovakia famous. Mama's is made with hearty amounts of pale malt, German specialty malts, and a blend of traditional (Saaz) and 21st century Bavarian hops. Our first canned lager, it's also fermented at cool temperatures with a German yeast.

This tasteful reality Czech is the perfect antidote for the watered-down versions of pilsner clogging Americaâ's shelves. And Mama's gentle hopping (about 35 IBUs) and low ABV (just 5.3%) mean we're finally honoring consumer requests for a delicious but less-challenging beer. (Hey, we like a good low-dose session beer, too.) Look for our Gold Metal Winner on US shelves in March.

Sadly, the Feds rejected our Take Two and Call Us in the Morning line on the can.

Added by GilGarp on 02-25-2009

Reviews: 854 | Ratings: 3,034
4.08/5  rDev +13%

poured liked just like a high life, pale fizzy and lots of head
smells nothing like a high life, suble grassy sweet notes and a floral hoppiness lingering in the back
subtle taste, grassy floral hops, sweet malt, all balanced well
very effevecent mouthfeel, highly drinkable, great lake beer

3.69/5  rDev +2.2%

a: massive head fills my pilsner glass before half the can is emptied - but for all this no lace, the beer itself is a golden staw color

s: nose of minerally pilsner malt and soft, grassy hops, a touch of grainy corn sweetness, slight note of sulfur

m: carbonation on the low side of medium, a bit slack, with a nice body that tends towards the light side without being thin, could be a little sharper on the palate, but it's fine

t: pilsner malt body with a soft, grassy hop presence, a slight sweetness, moderately bitter to finish with lingering grain

o: a good pilsner that could be great with a couple tweaks, but highly drinkable regardless, has a nice amount of character and serves as a well-rounded lager

single from Whole Foods, Reston, VA

tweaked slightly 4/18/13

3.5/5  rDev -3%

A- Pours a clear gold color with a white head. Not too much lacing here though.

S- Not a whole lot going on here. Grainy and grassy hops is about all I can pick up.

T- Bready and pale malts is about it. Not too bad just not a whole lot going on.

M- Crisp, light in body and good carbonation.

D- Refreshing and easy to drink.

3.35/5  rDev -7.2%

A: Straw colored with an immediate large but not dense head. Good retention and lacing.

S: Mild spicyness and floral nose with a touch of grain. Definitely allow this to warm, as the graininess is much more pronounced at cold temps.

T: Spicy and grainy. Slightly fruit but mostly grain dominated with a hop spice balancing it. Finish is crisp and mild hops but then shifts to a somewhat unpleasant grain flavor. Decent lager, but honestly am a little disappointed for such a great craft brewery.

M: Medium-full with equally high carbonation. A little fizzy.

D: Not too complex and I am a little conflicted as to whether or not I am enjoying the finish on this one. Not something I would drink many of and I probably will not revisit this.

3.76/5  rDev +4.2%

12oz. can

A - Pours a clear straw yellow with a big fluffy white head that slowly falls to a lumpy skim. Nice lacing.
S - Kind of an herbal hoppiness on the nose. A little malt sweetness - a little honey note.
T - Interesting - I get most of the taste on the back end on this one. A little lemon zest up front then some honey malt followed by some nice hop bitterness that doesn't stay around too long.
M/F - Light body with some creaminess to it. This beer has a very nice MF IMO. The carbonation is very delicate but yet totally there.
D - I scanned some review scores before I tasted and wasn't expecting too much - well I guess everybody has differing tastes! I like this beer. Next time my friend invites me out to go sailing on Narragansett Bay I know the beer to bring!

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

12oz fresh can into a Flying Fish pint glass. Gotta love a beer in a can.

A- They don't lie, this is a big yellow pilsner with some bright white gold spots and a straw look. A hard pour produced a big foamy loose white head that decreased quick. Some spots of lace here and there but not too thick.

S- Pilsner scents with malts giving off baked bread with some sweet scents. This fresh can displays the hops well as they can be smelled easily under the malt. Some grains and floral notes.

T- A nice pilsner that is a bit sweeter than others surprisingly and I like it. Some bread and grass with some spice towards the end. The hops dont come through in taste as much as I would like.

M- A bit thicker body on this than most pilsners but this one is light bodied. A good amount of carb from the canned version with a pleasant and short aftertaste. Refreshing and crisp.

D- A low ABV pilsner that I will be looking for in the summertime.

2.66/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

growler in pislner glass

a: the appearance is the best part of this beer. nice deep yellow, with an BMC head

s: butterscotch and nothing else

t: Sorry Oskar but you missed this one by a mile. I've never had such a diacetyl forward beer in my life. A little diacetyl, ok, but this is ridiculous. Butter and butterscotch. Why did you let this out of the door, where's the quality control. I don't think this was intentional, was it?

m: good mouthfeel

d: not good. matter of fact I feel ripped off on this one. what am I going to do with an entire growler of this stuff. That will teach me to sample first.

4.36/5  rDev +20.8%

A- Big ass head on top of a super clear, light-golden, yella colored body with multiple streams of quick moving bubbles. Interesting lace and amazing retention.

S- Floury. herbal spicy. Clean along with a scent of lager yeast that smells like iron to me.

T- This beer really delivers for a clear, yellow beer. Sweetness of honey, grainy malt, warm bread along with bitter herbal hop flavors. Simple, yet complete.

M- A bit viscous for a Pilsener, but that is expected at 5.3%ABV. Carbonation is spot on, playful without being annoying.

D- Light, yet hearty. Simple, yet complete. A very fulfilling beer for the style.

3.62/5  rDev +0.3%

Can poured into a pint glass. Hazy yellow-gold with a small white head that fades away pretty quickly. Cereal grain aroma with bready pilsener malt. Minor lemony character. Flavor is very crackery and bready with a modest pithy citric twang and a whisper of bitterness in the finish. Fairly crisp with light body and nice, fine carbonation. Good drinkability.

4.13/5  rDev +14.4%

A - One and a half fingers of white foam on a clear, yellow body. The head recedes at a leisurely pace and leaves nice, thick lace on the glass.

S - Musty noble hops and sweet malt. A hint of graham cracker and some grain.

T - Dry maltiness up front with balancing hop flavor. Herbal notes and distinct pilsner malt. The finish favors the hops with both flavor and very smooth bitterness.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a very dry finish.

D - Very drinkable, as it should be. With the excellent malt character and pleasing dryness it would be easy to take down a whole six-pack during a long evening. Too bad subtlety doesn't get more respect.

3.8/5  rDev +5.3%

I don't drink many Pilsners, so was not sure what to expect. It poured a cloudy pale amber with decent sudsy head that dissipated pretty quickly. I really could not smell a thing. It tasted good - extremely well balanced. Mild yeast, mild citrus. But nothing stood out as far as sweetness or bitterness. Which is not a bad thing. The drinkability is HIGH - I could probably drink a six-pack of these while playing frisbee golf or sitting outside on a warm day. A good summer beer and definitely worth a try.

3.79/5  rDev +5%

Need a beer after the last email of the day I somehow managed to:

A/ Call a guy named Daniel Mary and,
B/ Say "Trust your bust" instead of trust your busy.

... so I run home, look in the fridge and a Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pils is starting back at me. Got it as an extra, never tried it and ready to give it a run. Throw on the Pogues, drop the needle and away we go.

Crack the can and give it a pour... it looks like many pilsners I have had but smells very very potent; big frothy head that settles down quickly as if a crying kid found a lollypop. Nice and clear, actually looks a bit like the lead singer of the Pogues Shane McGowan's teeth; and by the time I start to plunk my anteater in for smell the head has completely dissipated.

Smells are bready and very malty... but with a nice hop bitterness to it. I get some lemon, I get some grass, and it all comes together quite nicely.

I don't drink many pilsners... but this seems to be missing something; or maybe not... it has a nice hoppiness to it, good grassy flavor, I even get a little fruit flavor going on. But something is still not sitting right. It's interesting, I can't put my finger on it. When I break it down... I do like the individual subtle nuances of it ,but after taking a step back doesn't sit right. I have actually been around people like that, I am sure we all have. Seem nice, buy you a drink, never do anything blatantly wrong but for some reason they just irk you. This taste doesn't irk me, I just can't figure it out and it's not the beers fault; its clearly mine.

Side note, the Pogues are an incredibly underrated band... Currently listening to "Hell & Ditch".. its fantastic. It's beautiful at some points, punk at others, it brings you up and down and back up and it's just a great listen.

Yella has a medium body, almost oily mouthfeel. Very crisp, lots of carbonation and very drinkable.

I mean it's a decent beer, nothing to rip my skivvies off over... but a nice pool side sipper.

And remember, when in dount.... Trust your bust

WOW!!! I can see how this won a gold metal! My goodness. I don't like pilsners (per se), but golly this is great. For the style, I can't find anything wrong with this wonderfully made beer. For me, this is the apitamy of what a summer drinkin' beer should be like...

A-Pours a crystal clear light yellow color with a HUGE white fluffy head that has GREAT retention, and leaves strong sticky lacing.

S-The scent of the pilsner "funk" fills the air right away, then I sniff closer and BEHOLD... the aroma of slightly floral hops hit my nostrals. And of coarse loads of pilsner malts are the star.

T-It tasts GREAT. Like I said, I don't like pilsners, I guess this just might convert me because, the flavor of this one is outstanding. I don't remember if I gave any beers a perfect score, but for the style, this one deserves it, for real. Smooth pilsner taste with earthy, floral hops in the back to balance. A little detectable bitterness, but it's almost not there because of the cleanness of the bittering hop.

M-And the mouthfeel. It is perfect! So creamy and smooth. It's not crisp, it's creamy, and for this style I can't get enough of it. SOooo creamy. It has a full medium body, very good.

D-I could drink this all night long. It's so good. Please go out and get a sixer, if you have'nt yet. You will be rewarded.

3.28/5  rDev -9.1%

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

Mama's Little Yella Pils pours a pale yellow-gold with a short-lived one-and-a-half finger head. Small amounts of weak lace sticks to the glass.

The smell and taste are very subtle and a little grain-like, with a dominating malt presence and a sweet finish. The feel is stronger--it has a thick balanced bitterness and tingles the tongue a little. It's very easy to drink and would work nicely after a hard workout.

By and large, Mama's Little Yella Pils is better than, but not unlike Budweiser. Kind of like a craft brewery doing an imitation of a macro-brewery doing an imitation of a craft brew. It's not really necessary.

4.07/5  rDev +12.7%

Nose has sweet grain and soft malt, slight sourness, and a subtle bright hoppiness. Smells good.

Pours a medium-pale yellow, moderate clarity, moderate head. Looks fair.

Good sweetness - grainy and soft. Nice highlights of tartness. Some dry toasty bits. Mild bitterness happily sits backseat to sweetness. Tartness intensifies into a nice sourness to challenge the sweetness. Light citric/grassy/fresh notes. Lighter metallic/earthy/vegetal notes. Bitterness intensifies too - making a statement in the mouth. Tastes good. Feels good. High drinkability.

Another choice brew from Oskar Blues.

4.1/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Poured a brilliantly clear and bright golden-straw with a bright white foamy capping. Retention was good with a slight broken ring lacing. Visible carbonation was very light with a microbubbly jet stream steadily rising.

S: The nose delivered a soft hopping with fresh pale grains, light lemon floral and straw hints giving this a subtle but very appreciable aroma making this a solid example.

T: sweet fresh grains with a touch of fresh lemon floral hopping. Light herbal notes and lemon grass give a beautiful soft touch while the zesty nature of the Czech saaz delivers a powerful sharp bite finishing spicy. Overall found the flavor to be exceptionally clean, well hopped, with a really nice pilsner malting. A beautiful zesty hop finish and abundance of hops gives this pilsner something extra to appreciate.

M: crisp, smooth and pretty full for a pilsner. A nice dry floral finish rounds things out in an otherwise solid example per style.

D: Drinkability was better then good, an all day drinker that was crisp, refreshing, hoppy and a cant miss. Case worthy, goes down effortlessly, and packable in cans makes this a go anywhere and drink anytime pilsner.

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

12 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a clear golden yellow with 2+ fingers of foamy brite-white head. Settles into a thin layer of retention that skims the surface, leaving some thick patchy lace back. The aroma is a tasty, but not overly assertive, mix of bread, citrus, and some lightly floral and spicy hops. Pretty standard Pils aroma, maybe even coming off as a little too sweet.

Hops luckily are a bit more forceful in the taste, imparting a a tight bitter and spicy character that balances a good bit of the sweetness from the citrus and grainy breadiness of the Pils malts. As this warms, some of the balance starts to shift once again to the sweet side. The mouthfeel is more medium bodied with a prickly and sharp carbonation that lasts the whole way through the swallow. Generally though, this remains fairly crisp and drinkable.

This was a decent enough Pils I suppose. Maybe a touch overly sweet but the crispness was there, as was a decent quaffability. Glad I tried this but I doubt that I'd invest in another six-pack.

2.96/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Light golden beer pours with a nice head. Looks a little pale and sickly, I don't know. But the head is nice.

Neither smell nor taste are anything to write home about. The smell is slightly grainy with a touch of spicyness and bread. Don't really get any hops on the nose. Taste, well, there is not a lot of it. Taste of cracker with a touch of hop bitterness. Just pretty bland and not that interesting.

Mouthfeel is fine, with probably a touch too much carbonation. Low alcohol and lack of flavor make drinkability very high.

I probably knock this beer a bit too much as I have been drinking a lot of Prima Pils lately, and this one isn't even in the same ballpark. This would be a refreshing beer on a hot summer day. If you are looking for a lot of flavor, look elsewhere.

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a golden yellow with a big white head that held fairly well and a spotty lace. earthy, grassy, slight herbal and spice nose. big malt taste with a slight bitter finish. light to medium mouthfeel and good carbonation. price for a six pak a little high i thought compared to the imported pilseners i have had.

3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured on tap.
Cloudy pale yellow in appearance. Lacing envelopes the glass.
Smells of bready malt. I notice some hops in there too.
Well balanced brew with just the right amount of bitterness. Traditional stylings of a euro pilsner.
Mouthfeel was light bodied.
Drinkability. Yes. Quite drinkable indeed. Refreshing. A solid pilsener from a very solid brewery.

3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

A - Poured with a rocky finger of white head, decent retention but not great. Spotty lacing here and there. Light, clear yellow gold in color. Just a few noticeable rising carbonation bubbles.

S - Bready, and a little sweet at first, but a noticeable hop presence comes in. Nothing overpowering in either of those aspects.

T - Just OK hoppiness, yes even for the traditional style. Bread-like flavors come in like the nose. Pretty tightly pulled together and clean.

M - As expected, fairly thin but by no means too light. Would have expected to be a more snappy carbonation presence as this was pretty muted in the MF.

D - Fairly refreshing, but not terribly interesting. This is certainly an easy-drinker, and would definitely put it in my sessionable range.

Overall, pretty good brew but nothing overwhelming. Worth a look.

3.44/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a really vibrant yellow, more reminicient of lemonade than urine though.

S: Nothing really to smell here, there are some mild tinges of hop and citrus but nothing showy.

T: Strong pilsner appeal with a hint on citrus, great on a hot day. The carbonation satisified my need for bubbles.

M: A little less firm than I like in my drink but not watery. I was just hoping for something more substantial.

D: Easy drink, mild flavors, but interesting with a descent body and a refreshing amount of carbonation.

4.34/5  rDev +20.2%

Hazy yellow. Thin dirty white head. Lacing is moderate and patchy. Oh this smells good. Like liquid bread. Like liquid 5 grain bread. Pure breadiness and crackery malt goodness on the nose with a little flowery hop presence as well. Taste like liquid bread too. Bready yeastiness with some grainy flavors. A little bit of a hop snappiness. Crisp, but light, bitterness. Lively carbonation. This is gonna be a great go-to beer in the summer for me this year.

3.73/5  rDev +3.3%

12oz can

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden yellow color with a nice white head

S- The aroma consists of some grain along with some grassy hops. A little on the faint side.

T- The taste is very crisp and refreshing which makes it highly drinkable. The taste starts off with some grain with some delicious spicy and grassy hops in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

D- This beer is way too drinkable and would make a fantastic outdoor/tailgating beer when the convenience of cans is important. Overall, this is a beer that is definitely recommended!

3.22/5  rDev -10.8%

I'd reach for this any day over most macros in the summer if not all...

A little cloudier on the pour than I expect....nice herbal hoppiness on the nose along with a bready pale malt feel.

Taste has some lemon zest on the finish but it is the bready, pale malt and herbal hoppiness that lead the way..

Decent beer....not a top level pils but a nice drinker for the summer..

Mama's Little Yella Pils from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew