Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

GUBNA Imperial IPAGUBNA Imperial IPA

good

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).
Reviews: 938 | Hads: 2,780
3.48/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Not impressed by this one. Too thick for a DIPA - almost more of an American strong ale. Malty, some dankness, onion, some bitter grapefruit hidden in the background. (166 characters)

Clear amber with a three finger high, white head. Lacing stays on the glass.

Nose: A lot of tropical fruit, mango, pineapple, orange marmelade, honey, ripe apple, caramel malt and citrus.
Taste: Marmelade, orange zest, grapefruit, citrus, resin, caramel malt, grass and some honey.
Body: Full body, Medium carbonated. Thick, creamy mouthfeel. Great texture.
Over all a great DIPA! A little bit overpriced in Sweden though... 50 SEK (6 USD) - There is a lot of great DIPA:s for less money. 3.75 USD at @TotalWine in Florida - a little more reasonable but on the other hand, only 2.50 USD for Dogfish Head 90-Minute IPA... (625 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Hazy orangish-yellow pour with little visible carbonation. Great kudos to the towering, sticky white head.
Smells like all pineapple. To me that's good, but this is sweet on the nose, and tropical like pineapple fruit. Almost like I'm sniffing an open can of juice from Dole.
Tastes full-flavored of tropical hops and sweet cakey malts. Very sweet, with a bitter, tingly punch of hoppage for the big ipa fan. Quite sweet though, and I wish it were less so.
Feels a bit thin for what I expect a DIPA of this strength to be. Low carbonation, smooth, just lacking more rich characters I prefer when sipping.
This one should polarize hop heads. I recall not liking it at all years ago when new to craft beers in general. Now I like it a little more, but it's still not a favorite. (780 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy amber color with a voluminous head of white froth. Gorgeous bouquet smells of sweet tropical fruits--mango, pineapple, and passion fruit, as well as a touch of bread and honey. Every IPA should smell like this. Thick gobs of foam cling to the glass as the head recedes.

The taste features a prominent herbal and floral bitterness. The sweetness is a blend of toasted bread, butterscotch, and white grapes that lends counterbalance without ever coming to the fore. I must say that the taste is quite cohesive and synergistic, with a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. Medium body and carbonation lend a creamy mouthfeel that is suitable for the style.

Overall, this is an interesting and flavorful IPA that carries the banner for its style without being a caricature. Pine and grapefruit are supplanted by herbs and flowers, and the presentation is top flight. Another winning beer from Oskar Blues. (935 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - typical IIPA

Smell - butter smell with citrus

Taste - almost get no bitterness at all. Tons of citrus.

Overall - would get again for sure. (154 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not even very fresh, 5 month old can, but delicious none the less. Honestly one of the nicest Imp IPAs ive had for a minute! (insert awesome ,style appropriate, commentz here). Can only imagine how good it is fresh from the tap at the brewery. I might have to make a pilgrimage... ;) (283 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

L - light Amber, very little head
S - not a whole lot, blend of malt, hops and alcohol
T - like it smells but even weaker, doesn't have the lingering hops aftertaste I expect
F - watery
O - I see a lot of people like Oskar Blues, but I haven't found a great one yet... (268 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

This is an attractive beer: a large rocky white head sits atop a crystal-clear, sparkling deep gold body, leaving nice rafts and clouds of lacing in its wake. The nose is dominated by a beer-defining strong juicy pineapple that overshadows a nice blend of pine and some floral notes. On the palate, a moderate-for-the-style hoppy bitterness is layered with mild pineapple and citrus notes and a very notable astringent alcohol flavor, all over a bready, slightly-sweet malt foundation. The finish is fairly clean, followed by a clinging hoppy bitterness that lingers for a good while. Mouthfeel is thickish for the light-medium body, slightly creamy and prickly from the fizzy carbonation. (689 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from a can into a 12 oz. beer mug.

Appearance: a hazy caramel color; thick frothy head with good retention. Gentle, even carbonation.

Smell: Grapefruit; resiny.

Taste: Bitter resin; malt; smoke; leather (?)

Mouthfeel: strong alcohol bite but clean tasting

Overall: I'm a big fan of Oskar Blues and generally like their offerings. However, this one set me back on my heels. Their can reads "Disestablishmentarian" and I think it's an apt phrase. I was pulled in by the relatively moderate look and smell of the beer, but when I took that first sip...WHOA! It was NOT what I expected. The smell and taste seem to be at odds with one another. Almost overwhelmingly bitter and boozy, with a resiny, smoky character, it's like a biker bar brawl in a glass. I felt like I got punched in the palate. The flavor seemed to mellow as the drink went on, but at 10% abv, that may have just been the alcohol numbing my senses. This is indeed an imperial IPA and the Gubna came to kick ass and take names. (1,013 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +7.5%

I really liked this one before it got warm lol. Like most bigger IPA's I've had that warm up it gets a bit much from the malt, then the harder punch of hops. Was really good to me in it's prime temp, balanced well and drinks easy. Maybe a smaller portion next time to get a more dialed in review but Gubna is definitely a good selection in my book. (348 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Champagne's outside Detroit for $13.00 or so for a 4pk. Served at 6deg C in a draught glass.

A- Opens well and pours a 1" high white head that lasts for many moons before film out. Nice dark gold color and filtered clear.

S- Lots of hops here. Cascade hops galore.

T- Next to no heat here for a 10% beer. Super hoppy backbone and the sugary malt pulls through. Nice hope bite from the cascade. Smooth overall and not super bitter or bittie.

M- Creamy good. Super sickly sweet.

O- Very good brew. Will enjoy with dinner. Good thing I got 4 instead of 1. Bottle shops have such a nice selection.

Food Pairing

This wonderful brew went well with.... BBQ'd bison burgers. Nice and plain, no spices.

Enjoy (724 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I don't know what it is about rye in the mash, I guess it just reminds me a little too much of rye forward bourbons and I don't totally love that expression in beer. Looks great in the glass, head was a finger which I can't companion about in a 10% DIPA. More citrus in the flavor than the aroma, pretty nice grapefruity bitterness from the hops. Worth having on draft, not sure I would pursue it from a package store. (418 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very alcoholy! has some dark fruits but it so reminds me of tenfidy its like a IPA stout.....with Oskars signature dark taste. For me these are really hard to go down! but its not bad....if that makes any sense. This is a beer I dont mind taking a couple sips of but its hard to get a whole can down. (300 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Canned 5/12/2015 enjoyed 7/23/2015 in a tulip/snifter.

Look - Lighter than normal orange. Relatively clear. Thick ivory head but I over poured. Medium sized bubbles. Lacing retains until it is gone.

Smell - Grass. Malt. Caramel. Light citrus.

Taste - Dank. Hoppy bitterness. Grapefruit and other citrus. Balanced well with pine and malt. One drink one comes out, the other the next. Spice.

Feel - Medium to heavy. Carbonated throughout. Alcohol burn but not overpowering.

Overall - I expected more of a Triple IPA for some reason which did not come through in the look but did in the taste. Good beer. (609 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +8.8%

From notes. This was a pretty good imperial IPA. A clear golden color with a nice white head. Good citrus aroma with a little less citrus in the taste. Nice sugary sweetness, but alcohol comes through a little. Some pine bitterness but it does not linger. (260 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hides the alcohol well. Very sweet smelling. Loads upon redicilous loads of hops. Not my favorite offering, hop-wise...there's obviously plenty there (clocking in over 100 IBUs), I just like other variants (saaz, simcoe, etc). Learning this slowly, but still a very daring beer. Drink slowly least ye get foolish...or get foolish.

Would drink again, but no actively seek out. Oskar Blues has better selections. (411 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours beautiful brilliant amber crowned by a 2” rocky white foam collar that grips the side of the glass on the way down.
S: Grassy, herbal Pacific Northwest hops, traces of citrus.
T: Very rich caramelly malt sweetness with some bread and fruit, followed by a blast of grapefruit rind, citrus and then a long lingering bitter after taste.
F: Very creamy medium full body and medium to medium low carbonation. Not much warming.
O: A balance between big malt and big hops masks potent alcohol. (503 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance: Bright golden glass sports a full finger and a half of pure white head that slowly fades leaving sticky lace behind.

Smell: Tropical fruit, grapefruit skin with a heavy crystal malt base giving some heady floral esters hinting at a wallop of alcohol.

Taste: It burns, all the way down. Bitter acids overwhelm any fruit, there is some pine tar, alcohol that's a bit fusel and medicinal.

Mouthfeel: Goo, very heavy, bit chew, oil spill that takes minutes to work away, low carbonation, hot alcohol numbs a bit.

Overall: Paint stripper. The closest thing I can relate it to is a Dogfish Head 120, all the dials turned to 10, with hops turns to infinity. Maybe a decade of aging would help, but being in a can, I don't like aging cans. That said, I don't regret the 4 pack, but will be sharing these with friends as a full glass is a bit of a chore. (863 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L (4) - A little lighter yellow color than I would have expected. Very nice white fluffy head on top.
S (4.25) - Good hop aromas and malty aromas. Almost smells sweet. In a good way.
T (4.5) - Great tasting beer. You get that slightly sweet malty taste, followed by a good hop taste. Surprisingly I did not get much of an alcohol taste.
F (4.25) - Good drinkable beer. A little on the light side with respect to carbonation.
O (4.25) - I haven't been a huge fan of Oskar beers, but this one is good. I'm wondering if there isn't something with their hoppy offerings I don't like. I wish I'd bought more than a single of this one! (641 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Can dated 3/15, so 3 months old:
Pours clear light golden, fluffy white head, nice coverage, retention, lacing.
Nose is citrusy, orange in nature, but actually a hint of rotten orange in there, strangely. Also a slight note of cardboard, as maybe the age is starting to show. Now, I am mentioning the bad notes, but the nose isn't bad, actually is fine.

Taste has held up quite well. Lots of tropical fruit flavor in my initial sips. More analysis still has tropical fruits at the forefront (mango, pineapple, guava, even some coconut), but some grapefruit joins in later, and I also get some strawberry. Little rough pine wiody notes hit the edges of my tongue later in the taste.

Little bit of age showed through, but I'm being picky there. I enjoyed this quite well as is and now want to find some a bit younger to see how good it can be. (849 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

poured from can into a pint glass golden yellow with a whitish head. aroma is oranges bitter yet sweet. flavor is bitter malty. slightness of rye to the palate. juicy orange off the map. blended well above the average. (218 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a copper body with two finger head and lace patches down glass. Aroma is comprised mostly of bitter citric hops and grains. Smooth, butter oily hops with bitter citric hops and hits of medicinal sweetness and grapefruit. Interesting dipa with hidden booze and is good but slightly off balance. (301 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Oskar Blues Gubna has a thick, foamy, off-white head, a semi-clear, orange-gold appearance, bubble streams, and moderate lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, white bread, sugar, and mildly-piney hop resin. Taste is of an odd-and off-putting coconut, white bread, sugar, and strong, but not harsh, bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and Oskar Blues Gubna finishes dry and surprisingly easy drinking. The alcohol is not picked up in the flavor, unless it is that odd coconut thing, but the drinker will feel the alcohol, about half-way through the can. I also notice the rye component, as I drank it down.

RJT (621 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer is most interesting. The color is a beautiful orange, but the head is a bit watery and dissipates quickly to a .25 inch soda like foam. The smell is all white grapes and malt. The taste misses the mark for me. I would not revisit this beer and were it not for the 10.0 ABV, I might drain pour this. Elements are all there, but the taste is not good. The alcohol is not hidden in any way shape or form. It dominates the back end and ruins the feel. (465 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -24.9%

Based upon March 2015 North Carolina plant product, from draft and from can: The change in Gubna's hop and malt profile made in the March 2015 shipment makes no sense to me. I have been a Gubna devotee for a few years now, and have regarded the beer as a favorite both in the glass and in the cooking skillet. The current recipe shows none of the traits I prized so highly in the past, and on discussing my observation with an Oskar Blues representative at a promotional dinner, I was told the new addition of rye is probably the culprit. I was also told that the canned product may age well, and since I own a full case, I'm hoping so. Truthfully, I'm really disappointed, as Gubna has been such a staple in our home until this year.

The Oskar Blues employee speaking at the promotional dinner we attended implied that the recipe is not necessarily set for the entire 2015 production, meaning that there could be some adjustments made even yet this year. While I'm sure we'll buy another Gubna case in March 2016, I doubt we'd continue beyond next year if the appeal matches this year's production. (1,101 characters)

GUBNA Imperial IPA from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew