GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).
Reviews: 930 | Hads: 2,755
3.3/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a can into a 12 oz. beer mug.

Appearance: a hazy caramel color; thick frothy head with good retention. Gentle, even carbonation.

Smell: Grapefruit; resiny.

Taste: Bitter resin; malt; smoke; leather (?)

Mouthfeel: strong alcohol bite but clean tasting

Overall: I'm a big fan of Oskar Blues and generally like their offerings. However, this one set me back on my heels. Their can reads "Disestablishmentarian" and I think it's an apt phrase. I was pulled in by the relatively moderate look and smell of the beer, but when I took that first sip...WHOA! It was NOT what I expected. The smell and taste seem to be at odds with one another. Almost overwhelmingly bitter and boozy, with a resiny, smoky character, it's like a biker bar brawl in a glass. I felt like I got punched in the palate. The flavor seemed to mellow as the drink went on, but at 10% abv, that may have just been the alcohol numbing my senses. This is indeed an imperial IPA and the Gubna came to kick ass and take names. (1,013 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +7.8%

I really liked this one before it got warm lol. Like most bigger IPA's I've had that warm up it gets a bit much from the malt, then the harder punch of hops. Was really good to me in it's prime temp, balanced well and drinks easy. Maybe a smaller portion next time to get a more dialed in review but Gubna is definitely a good selection in my book. (348 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Champagne's outside Detroit for $13.00 or so for a 4pk. Served at 6deg C in a draught glass.

A- Opens well and pours a 1" high white head that lasts for many moons before film out. Nice dark gold color and filtered clear.

S- Lots of hops here. Cascade hops galore.

T- Next to no heat here for a 10% beer. Super hoppy backbone and the sugary malt pulls through. Nice hope bite from the cascade. Smooth overall and not super bitter or bittie.

M- Creamy good. Super sickly sweet.

O- Very good brew. Will enjoy with dinner. Good thing I got 4 instead of 1. Bottle shops have such a nice selection.

Food Pairing

This wonderful brew went well with.... BBQ'd bison burgers. Nice and plain, no spices.

Enjoy (724 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I don't know what it is about rye in the mash, I guess it just reminds me a little too much of rye forward bourbons and I don't totally love that expression in beer. Looks great in the glass, head was a finger which I can't companion about in a 10% DIPA. More citrus in the flavor than the aroma, pretty nice grapefruity bitterness from the hops. Worth having on draft, not sure I would pursue it from a package store. (418 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very alcoholy! has some dark fruits but it so reminds me of tenfidy its like a IPA stout.....with Oskars signature dark taste. For me these are really hard to go down! but its not bad....if that makes any sense. This is a beer I dont mind taking a couple sips of but its hard to get a whole can down. (300 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Canned 5/12/2015 enjoyed 7/23/2015 in a tulip/snifter.

Look - Lighter than normal orange. Relatively clear. Thick ivory head but I over poured. Medium sized bubbles. Lacing retains until it is gone.

Smell - Grass. Malt. Caramel. Light citrus.

Taste - Dank. Hoppy bitterness. Grapefruit and other citrus. Balanced well with pine and malt. One drink one comes out, the other the next. Spice.

Feel - Medium to heavy. Carbonated throughout. Alcohol burn but not overpowering.

Overall - I expected more of a Triple IPA for some reason which did not come through in the look but did in the taste. Good beer. (609 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +9.1%

From notes. This was a pretty good imperial IPA. A clear golden color with a nice white head. Good citrus aroma with a little less citrus in the taste. Nice sugary sweetness, but alcohol comes through a little. Some pine bitterness but it does not linger. (260 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hides the alcohol well. Very sweet smelling. Loads upon redicilous loads of hops. Not my favorite offering, hop-wise...there's obviously plenty there (clocking in over 100 IBUs), I just like other variants (saaz, simcoe, etc). Learning this slowly, but still a very daring beer. Drink slowly least ye get foolish...or get foolish.

Would drink again, but no actively seek out. Oskar Blues has better selections. (411 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours beautiful brilliant amber crowned by a 2” rocky white foam collar that grips the side of the glass on the way down.
S: Grassy, herbal Pacific Northwest hops, traces of citrus.
T: Very rich caramelly malt sweetness with some bread and fruit, followed by a blast of grapefruit rind, citrus and then a long lingering bitter after taste.
F: Very creamy medium full body and medium to medium low carbonation. Not much warming.
O: A balance between big malt and big hops masks potent alcohol. (503 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -17.7%

Appearance: Bright golden glass sports a full finger and a half of pure white head that slowly fades leaving sticky lace behind.

Smell: Tropical fruit, grapefruit skin with a heavy crystal malt base giving some heady floral esters hinting at a wallop of alcohol.

Taste: It burns, all the way down. Bitter acids overwhelm any fruit, there is some pine tar, alcohol that's a bit fusel and medicinal.

Mouthfeel: Goo, very heavy, bit chew, oil spill that takes minutes to work away, low carbonation, hot alcohol numbs a bit.

Overall: Paint stripper. The closest thing I can relate it to is a Dogfish Head 120, all the dials turned to 10, with hops turns to infinity. Maybe a decade of aging would help, but being in a can, I don't like aging cans. That said, I don't regret the 4 pack, but will be sharing these with friends as a full glass is a bit of a chore. (863 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L (4) - A little lighter yellow color than I would have expected. Very nice white fluffy head on top.
S (4.25) - Good hop aromas and malty aromas. Almost smells sweet. In a good way.
T (4.5) - Great tasting beer. You get that slightly sweet malty taste, followed by a good hop taste. Surprisingly I did not get much of an alcohol taste.
F (4.25) - Good drinkable beer. A little on the light side with respect to carbonation.
O (4.25) - I haven't been a huge fan of Oskar beers, but this one is good. I'm wondering if there isn't something with their hoppy offerings I don't like. I wish I'd bought more than a single of this one! (641 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Can dated 3/15, so 3 months old:
Pours clear light golden, fluffy white head, nice coverage, retention, lacing.
Nose is citrusy, orange in nature, but actually a hint of rotten orange in there, strangely. Also a slight note of cardboard, as maybe the age is starting to show. Now, I am mentioning the bad notes, but the nose isn't bad, actually is fine.

Taste has held up quite well. Lots of tropical fruit flavor in my initial sips. More analysis still has tropical fruits at the forefront (mango, pineapple, guava, even some coconut), but some grapefruit joins in later, and I also get some strawberry. Little rough pine wiody notes hit the edges of my tongue later in the taste.

Little bit of age showed through, but I'm being picky there. I enjoyed this quite well as is and now want to find some a bit younger to see how good it can be. (849 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

poured from can into a pint glass golden yellow with a whitish head. aroma is oranges bitter yet sweet. flavor is bitter malty. slightness of rye to the palate. juicy orange off the map. blended well above the average. (218 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a copper body with two finger head and lace patches down glass. Aroma is comprised mostly of bitter citric hops and grains. Smooth, butter oily hops with bitter citric hops and hits of medicinal sweetness and grapefruit. Interesting dipa with hidden booze and is good but slightly off balance. (301 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Oskar Blues Gubna has a thick, foamy, off-white head, a semi-clear, orange-gold appearance, bubble streams, and moderate lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, white bread, sugar, and mildly-piney hop resin. Taste is of an odd-and off-putting coconut, white bread, sugar, and strong, but not harsh, bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and Oskar Blues Gubna finishes dry and surprisingly easy drinking. The alcohol is not picked up in the flavor, unless it is that odd coconut thing, but the drinker will feel the alcohol, about half-way through the can. I also notice the rye component, as I drank it down.

RJT (621 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer is most interesting. The color is a beautiful orange, but the head is a bit watery and dissipates quickly to a .25 inch soda like foam. The smell is all white grapes and malt. The taste misses the mark for me. I would not revisit this beer and were it not for the 10.0 ABV, I might drain pour this. Elements are all there, but the taste is not good. The alcohol is not hidden in any way shape or form. It dominates the back end and ruins the feel. (465 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -24.7%

Based upon March 2015 North Carolina plant product, from draft and from can: The change in Gubna's hop and malt profile made in the March 2015 shipment makes no sense to me. I have been a Gubna devotee for a few years now, and have regarded the beer as a favorite both in the glass and in the cooking skillet. The current recipe shows none of the traits I prized so highly in the past, and on discussing my observation with an Oskar Blues representative at a promotional dinner, I was told the new addition of rye is probably the culprit. I was also told that the canned product may age well, and since I own a full case, I'm hoping so. Truthfully, I'm really disappointed, as Gubna has been such a staple in our home until this year.

The Oskar Blues employee speaking at the promotional dinner we attended implied that the recipe is not necessarily set for the entire 2015 production, meaning that there could be some adjustments made even yet this year. While I'm sure we'll buy another Gubna case in March 2016, I doubt we'd continue beyond next year if the appeal matches this year's production. (1,101 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Canned on 3/6/15, consumed on 5/30/15.

Aroma is almost exactly like a can of pineapple. It has that slightly off sour-sweetness paired with the traditional pineapple aroma.

Taste is very tropical. No one fruit pulls through though. I do get peach, pineapple, mango, and a green grape juice. The beer is bitter and slightly thick, but the alcohol is actually more present to me than anything. Not just a warmth but also a pungent bite.

Overall the beer is a strange match up. It is good, but the alcohol hit definitely brings the beer down in quality. I would say it is not worth the money. It would pair well with Jamaican jerk chicken and a green papaya-pineapple salad. It gets a 84/100. (693 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

this beer is awesome, so much better than i remember it being when i first moved out here, and i have heard from multiple sources that it has gotten a face lift recently, a tweak to the hop bill, and maybe that accounts for the changes, but they are all positive here. this beer is just delicious, i think the best regular release from these guys by head and shoulders. its hazy pale yellow in color, looking unsuspicious in the glass, under a full inch of slowly fading white foam. it smells like canned pineapple juice, straight up, with perhaps a floral hop hint, but the juiciness of this is insane. very little malt character in the nose or even in the taste, so this is just a juicy hop explosion, and its a unique one. there maybe some citra or mosaic or something, but the dosing and the timing and the blend is what makes this as awesome as it is. its got so much pineapple in the finish i really cant taste anything else, and it goes for miles. i dont miss the grain really, and i could drink these like 5% abv beers, as there is no trace of its alcohol strength. i could really get into trouble with these. this seems like the most well crafted beer these guys do, like a lot of thought and refinement went into it, and it gives me some restored faith in a brewery who was on the edges of irrelevant to my beer geekiest side. this beer is incredible, one of the best big ipas our state has to offer. if you wrote it off awhile ago like i did, you owe it to yourself to give it a second chance. im going to keep this one stocked for awhile. (1,550 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hazy yellow, huge head. Nose is pineapple and other tropical fruits almost like a fruity island drink. Taste is boozy coconut water, again tropical, very unique. Has heavy ethanol presence. Good hop bitterness (209 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a bright and clean golden orange with a nice finger of straight white lacing foam.

Tons of citrus fruit in the aroma, some light but sweet caramel notes, and some light spice notes.

Orange and grapefruit zest right up front, spicy rye, toasted biscuity malts, and some light caramel-like sweetness.

Light-medium bodied, medium carbonation, citrus and spice.

Overall, while I thought this brew was good, the price tag is a little high. (444 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +32.7%

Wow. Last can I had of this was the summer of 2014 and it was delicious. It appears they have changed the recipe in a positive way, perhaps lending an even more delicious and perfected recipe.

Poured into my mug at around 55 degrees, the first thing I noticed is that this beer is filtered... The old Gubna I believe was unfiltered. Nice and thick almost white head dwindled down to a half finger head with bubbles still coming up to retain the half finger. This beer is clear and very light orange in color.

Smell is amazing and smacks me in the face with complex hop characteristics... I get pine, light citrus, dank sweetness, malts are there, but the hops overpower.

Tastes exactly what a DIPA should taste like. Definitely high IBUs coming out in this one with dank citrus hop bitterness. Less pine in the taste than in the smell. Seems to coat my mouth with an even layer of hop bitterness that lingers for several minutes. Less rye presence than what I remember from the old Gubna, but still a bit on the spicy side.

Alcohol presence is definitely here, but more pleasant in this new version than before. Medium-high carbonation that makes it sparkle in the mouth...

Overall this one goes straight to the dome. I'm half a beer in and holy cow I just want more! This re-formulation has very much shifted it into the typical world-class DIPA category in my honest opinion. The new hop regiment plus the filtering (which i could have done without) Really makes the presentation much different than what I remember about the old formula. Old formula for me was a 90, this one is a 98. Great job Oskar Blues!!! (1,637 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This one is relatively fresh as it was canned on 04/02/15. I had been wanting to try this one for awhile but at $15 a four pack I hadn't pulled the trigger till now.

Strong pour gets me three fingers of off white head that is big an fluffy. The head has solid retention. Body is best described as brilliant orange. Very vibrant in color. Nose is of a very strong citrus consistency. It represents the rind, pulp and juice very well. Flavor is of muted citrus and resin based tree sap. It is very thick on the mouthfeel. Reminds me of a mixture of orange and grapefruit pulp. Overall not bad but it really doesn't hold serve to what the nose promised. (661 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

This is an odd (in a good way) beer.

Look? Unknown. I drank it out of the can like the peasant that I am. Cans are fine with me and the can art is okay I guess.

Smell? I can't figure out what the hell it smells like. Pineapple half the time, but the other half it smells like contents unknown.

Taste? Tastes great. Not even a hint of the relatively high ABV. Not nearly as hoppy as I expected either. Certainly not a palate wrecker. The slightest hint of pineapple is present. This is a cryptic beer.

Overall, great. Buy it where you see it. Says it is an imperial IPA, but I have a hard time placing it there...or anywhere.

Feel? Very smooth - light beer smooth. (669 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. can into a snifter. Pours a semi-hazy copper color with about 1/2 a finger of white foam. Sweet, floral notes on the nose along with strong grapefruit and citrus. Underlaying pine creeps in there somehow. Big bitterness up front on the taste follwed by bittersweet fruit and pine. Medium-light weight and pretty smooth mouthfeel. Finishes watery with leftover bitterness and pine resin.

Pretty darn good. I'd say at an 86 rating, this one is a hair underrated. If you're a fan of big, hoppy IIPAs, give this one a try. I'd prefer a little more citrus and fruit on the taste to balance it out, but it's still darn good. (626 characters)

GUBNA Imperial IPA from Oskar Blues Grill & Brew