GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

GUBNA Imperial IPAGUBNA Imperial IPA

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).

(Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010)
Reviews by tr4nc3d:
tr4nc3d

Kansas

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

Taken from notes

12fl oz can poured into my pint glass

Pours a slight murky copper color with a one inch slightly off-white head. Average head retention with minimal lacing sticking to the sides of my glass.

Smell consist of some citrus notes with ruby grapefruit and pineapple. Cracker type malts with caramel come forward with a bit of pine.

Taste starts off with a decent citrus taste of grapefruit and then diminishes to some caramel and cracker taste.

Medium bodied with average carbonation.

Well I'm basing this off a pretty old can which I looked at the bottom and it was over 6 months old. So take it for what it is. I would definitely try this again fresh though.

03-31-2011 15:15:47 | More by tr4nc3d
dmgeng

Indiana

4.01/5  rDev +5.2%

Bottom of the can says, "Use can as pillow". (words to live by)

Guy at the liquor store thought it was the best beer ever and it was Oskar Blues so I had to try it. Called "Gubna" because it's what you say when you try to say "Governor" after drinking 2 of these beasts.

A - Deep orange color. Hazy DIPA with lots of white head coming out of my glass and strong lacing.

S - Extra strong hop fragrance with lots of citrus and resiny tones. Could smell it before I picked it up. Almost perfume like from the magnitude of aromatics. Alcohol definitely present as well.

T - Full flavored with a pungent hop character that has resin, citrus, fruit, herb and with some alcohol and malt to round it out. Full bitterness from the alpha acids but it isn't the only thing you taste with the malt other flavors mixing together to make this beer complex and tasty.

M - Strong mouth-feel with high carbonation. Lingering finish with hops, malt, and alcohol.

Overall, a solid IIPA. Great aroma, and good flavor, feel, appearance, but doesn't have as much citrus character as I love in an IIPA. This brew isn't nice to your palate but if you like big, resiny, and complex beer I'd recommended it.

Glass- Tulip

08-14-2014 15:24:38 | More by dmgeng
oberon

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

Seeing the mixed reviews of this beer,I was almost hesitent to buyit,but alas I did.Poured into a tulip glass a clear bronze with a fluffy one finger white head that never really fades completely.Hmm the hop aromas are a bit different,there is a resinous quality,but like a few others have stated there is a "meaty" quality to it wich is odd,also I pick up some leather wich I normally wouldnt find in a DIPA.wow the flavors are very odd,the Summit hop gives off an odd flavor,its gotta green leafiness to it and a weird kind of fruitiness as well,its a bit prickly and not fun to drink really.Hmm this is different in a not so good kinda way.

04-19-2010 23:28:07 | More by oberon
RoyalT

4.38/5  rDev +15%

Appearance - It's not often that I call something a "beautiful yellowish-brown" but this beer is a joy to see. The color is so delicate yet pure it's almost like a color you'd find in a good paint. The head was immaculate as well. It was thick and white, held up nicely, and left some great lacing.

Smell - This aroma is rank with pine resin. Someone told me that summit is similar to simcoe and although admittedly this is my firs taste of summit it is a lot more piney then the simcoe that I've had. Judging by the beer's color and the alcohol content I'm sure there's a nice malt base to this DIPA but all I can smell are these massive hops and boy are they a pleasure to the olfactory bulb.

Taste - The hops aren't even thinking about mellowing at the taste. This is a stank hop brew for sure. The malts come out a lot more on the tongue and they have a nice sweetness but this is all about the summit.

Mouthfeel - This is on the light side of medium-bodied but the thinness of the beer pairs well with the flavors. The carbonation is mild so I found myself drinking this potent brew in gulps.

Drinkability - If you want a new hop experience you have to try a can of Gubna. It is a huge hop-heavy beer but goes down easy and has a unique character. I can see how some maybe didn't like it because it's so different but I thought this was great.

Note: This is a strange score because I'm rating Taste at 4.0 but Drinkability at 5.0. I thought the hops and malts clashed a bit which is why I 4'ed the taste but this beer went down in gulps. It is so smooth and the hop dryness just keeps it going.

05-01-2010 00:32:21 | More by RoyalT
pbsmooth

12-14-2011 19:36:00 | More by pbsmooth
DanGeo

03-08-2014 13:42:04 | More by DanGeo
brownbeer

Missouri

4.28/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours golden, which I do love it when my pale ales are pale. Not much head.

The aroma jumps out with litter box and kind. Bitter orange.

Some biscuity malt comes through in the initial flavor. Indescribable things happen. Certain citrus fruits. Not too well defined, but tasty nonetheless. It slides across the tongue without any discrepancy as far as mouthfeel is concerned. It also drinks really easily for 10% abv.

I'm surprised this beer doesn't get higher scores. It's not the most exciting DIPA out there, it's very different, but it is solid. Worth a try.

06-12-2010 00:39:30 | More by brownbeer
Tiernan

06-29-2013 00:32:44 | More by Tiernan
weatherdog

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

A huge thanks to Chris for throwing this in during a DLD trade as it's both a brewery and a beer I've wanted to get a hold of.

Poured from the can into a Duvel tulip glass.

The can opens without much fanfare which makes me question its carbonation. It pours an almost clear bright golden honey with a minimal white head.

The smell has an interesting unique hop profile and I don't think I've had a beer showcasing summit hops before. There are some mild citrus notes up front but then goes into a little bit of onionish smells. A distinct alcohol presence is also there, understandable for a beer of 10% ABV but I've had plenty of other DIPA's that hid their alcohol content behind strong hop aromas.

The hop flavor was surprisingly lacking. I was all geared up for a hop assault but it never came. The hop flavors that was there were more slanted toward a vegetale flavor. It's not a terrible hop flavor but not something I would prefer. The bitterness in the beer is very present as it should be at 100 IBU's and the nice thing is it's a smooth bitterness without a lingering aftertaste. There isn't much malt presence and I can't detect any of the rye or dark Munich used at all.

Mouthfeel is decent and despite the lack of pop when opening the can the carbonation is on the high side.

Overall there isn't anything terribly wrong this beer but the flavor profile just isn't hitting any high notes with me. I do appreciate how smooth the bitterness is though since that is one of the things that can win me over with a DIPA.

05-03-2010 05:00:11 | More by weatherdog
joemetric

Kansas

07-10-2014 16:39:10 | More by joemetric
diesel59

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

well, I have to say, i was a little put off by the initial smell of this one @ first, kind of like a locker room @ half time... anyhow, being a big fan of deviant dales and g'knight, I managed... The taste was quite hoppy and had a hint of spice.. alcohol present, but not overwelming @ all.... the lacing could be read like a book, and the finish wasn't so bad either... I probably wouldn't buy this again, but I would buy all the deviant dales I could find... I hope that makes up for a not so great review...

03-24-2012 18:42:11 | More by diesel59
orbitalr0x

3.33/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours into my glass a deep reddish orange with good clarity and two fingers of creamy bubbling white head on top. Aromas of weed, cat piss, pine and smidge of citrus. Kinda dirty/earthy in a way as well. Just not very enticing to me overall.

First sip brings brash hops upfront, weedy and grassy with a touch of citrus. Resinous pine notes abound. Caramel malt hints that don't really stand up to the wall of hops. Big bitter finish but overall I don't find the hop profile too be that enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit creamy, however there's a sugary slickness as well that I didn't really like. Overall, a middle of the road DIPA. I don't think it's horrible but it also doesn't leave me desiring more.

05-07-2010 01:25:52 | More by orbitalr0x

08-28-2012 07:50:52 | More by danthehopslamman
lordofthewiens

Maine

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

One of the nice things about living in southern Maine is that you can take advantage of beers appearing in New Hampshire that have yet to make their way into Maine. Oskar Blues, for example.
This was one of the IPAs I had on New Years Day while I was planted on my couch watching bowl games. A nice enough beer, not outstanding.
In a tulip glass the beer was copper colored with a white head that left a bit of lace.
An outdoors aroma, fresh. Sweet malt. A little bit of citrus.
The taste was pretty malt forward, a little peppery. Grapefruit and a touch of pine.
One of the more malty IPAs I have had. Alcohol was well-hidden.

01-02-2011 19:49:29 | More by lordofthewiens
SD-Alefan

South Dakota

4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from the 12oz. can into a tulip glass.

The beer flows out a cloudy orange with a bubbly one-finger head that leaves lacing the length of the glass.

The smell is of grapefruit and candied fruit, a little floral note and a hit of booze.

The taste is, initially, a big bitter attack: pine and grapefruit pith with a shot of sweet candy in the middle and then a long, lingering, bitter drying finish. As it warms a bit, I can taste more of the sweet malt and rye. The booze is also a bit more obvious as the temp rises a bit.

The mouthfeel is smooth and a bit bubbly.

Overall, I quite enjoyed this beer. It's definitely big and bold but also packs a lot of flavor.

08-16-2014 03:02:33 | More by SD-Alefan
csmartin6

05-05-2013 00:07:52 | More by csmartin6
Lazaro

03-31-2013 22:44:02 | More by Lazaro
DWolf

03-10-2012 22:01:07 | More by DWolf
marvin213

Hazy orange marmalade, it looks quite good. Tiny foam bubbles cap the top of my shapely Unibroue glass. It's got a brown, curious murkiness to it, but the heady top to a shapely lil' DIPA proves quite becoming.

100% citrus Summit hop. The malts might stop short some of the pure sweet Summit smell, but again the alluring aroma beckons. Like a stripper smelling sweet and looking so hot under the neon moon, however, actually getting a taste isn't quite as good as promised.

Don't get it twisted, though, the beer is solid. Like that stripper, it still feels good. It ain't a high-class uppity show-off, but a basic and grimy American Double. It's the Gubna, a name I find so fitting. The beer drinks quite well, actually, and these canned melons serve the purpose and fit the bill. It's neither a malt-bombed imposter, nor is it a model-like sculpted Sculpin. It leans toward the latter, so the Gubna's worth grabbing.

02-20-2011 21:13:12 | More by marvin213
Beaver13

Colorado

3.38/5  rDev -11.3%

12 oz can. Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a medium creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet almost vegetal malts with an earthy stinkiness from the hops that is a touch metallic.

The flavor is sweet caramel malts with the same stinkiness (it is the smell personified) from the hops. There's a lot of bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, this beer is pretty strange. When I first had it on tap, it was much different and better. The hops were much fruitier and more resiny without the weird stinky earth notes (also described by people I'm with as "catty" and "armpit"). The last time I was there (Longmont location), it tasted the same on tap as it has in the bottles. I can only guess that there's a difference in batches, and I've heard that Summit hops can be unusual and hit or miss. It's very strange but I still kinda like it.

04-20-2010 04:46:13 | More by Beaver13
generallee

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

Presentation: It was poured from a 12 can into a tulip glass. The can has the abv listed as 10.0% and on the bottom of the can it has a "canned on" date of 05-04-10 @ 14:21.

Appearance: The body has a hazy golden orange color with visible carbonation. From the Aggressive pour I got a tall, creamy off white head that has great retention and makes lots of spotty lace on the glass.

Smell: Its aroma is full of strong musty and citrusy hops with a touch of earthy tobacco and grainy/bready malt.

Taste/Palate: I get a strong full bodied hit of hops up front and throughout on top of sturdy grainy/bready maltiness. Up front the hops hit me with citrusy grapefruit like notes which turn dank, musty, earthy, piney and resiny with a slight tobacco like note in the finish. The alcohol is noticeable and adds its own warm character to the mix. Hop bitterness hangs on the tongue deep into the finish.

Notes: Once again Oskar Blues does it the can and I love it!

08-10-2010 21:31:16 | More by generallee
iemailjack

01-08-2013 04:09:14 | More by iemailjack
JakerLou

New Hampshire

08-10-2013 21:40:32 | More by JakerLou
BuckeyeSlim

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

32 oz. growler filled this evening, poured into a NB snifter.

A - Pours a very light pale yellow-green, with a one-and-a-half finger head of dense, slightly off-white foam dissipating at a moderate pace and leaving a very well-defined ring of lace around the glass. A fine sheen of very tight, tiny bubbles coats the surface long after the head is gone. Held to a full-spectrum light, the beer is a vivid gold and clear, with a few columns of bubbles rising thru the center of the glass. Upon finishing the glass, lots of rich legs remain on the sides.

S - A pine needle sachet inside a cedar chest, with notes of sweeter citrus behind this that include mandarin orange and pink grapefruit. As it warms in the glass, hints of alcohol waft into the nose along with buttered toasted malts. The nose also become noticeably more subtle all around. For the last glass of the growler, you could have sold me that this is a dry-hopped Scotch ale. The only negative is that as it warms, the nose gets washed out.

T - Tangy citrus hops on the tongue suggest resin mixed with citrus that ride in on a blanket of rich light caramel malts. In the finish, there's a taste of orange marmalade sugars on whole grain toast surrounded by pine needles. This is definitely a beer where both the hops and the malts have been amped up and balanced quite well, creating a competition for attention by the taste buds that neither dominates. The 10% ABV is very well-hidden inside this beer - it drinks like a 6.5% and there's no heat whatsoever.

M - Surprisingly creamy in the mouth, the carbonation is extremely tight. Moderate body, with nicely integrated components. Finish is quite dry for all the malt in the taste - almost a pucker, and it lingers with echos fully across the tongue that are both and equally bitter and sweet.

O - This is a very well-made, very enjoyable brew. Rich, delicious, and nicely balanced, as a non-hophead, I greatly appreciated how the ying and the yang of the malts and the hops are well-paired with each other, with neither dominating and each complimenting the other. Highly recommended, especially for those who favor rich, malt-forward brews and want to venture into getting more out of the hops side of the equation. And with the higher ABV, it also makes for a great cocktailing beer with friends on the deck on a Friday evening.

06-01-2013 04:53:17 | More by BuckeyeSlim