GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).
to view more.
Ratings: 2,595 | Reviews: 907
Reviews by yuenglingfan101:
2.62/5  rDev -31.4%

Poured into pint glass and nice color of golden to dark golden appeared small to medium head wasnt bad either. Taste like a flat IPA and mouthfull is just as bland and the taste of this beer. Was kinda disappointed with this beer to say the least of it all

3.84/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A decent imperial IPA from a can. It has a great drinkability that you don't get too often from an imperial. It's smooth, not too bitter and has a great finish and a unique taste. I'm drinking it on the beach and it is just a great beer. I wouldn't think of an imperial being beach material, but it is!

Oskar Blues brewery does a great job with their packaging too. Always fun and interesting to read the cans.

4.04/5  rDev +5.8%

Bottom of the can says, "Use can as pillow". (words to live by)

Guy at the liquor store thought it was the best beer ever and it was Oskar Blues so I had to try it. Called "Gubna" because it's what you say when you try to say "Governor" after drinking 2 of these beasts.

A - Deep orange color. Hazy DIPA with lots of white head coming out of my glass and strong lacing.

S - Extra strong hop fragrance with lots of citrus and resiny tones. Could smell it before I picked it up. Almost perfume like from the magnitude of aromatics. Alcohol definitely present as well.

T - Full flavored with a pungent hop character that has resin, citrus, fruit, herb and with some alcohol and malt to round it out. Full bitterness from the alpha acids but it isn't the only thing you taste with the malt other flavors mixing together to make this beer complex and tasty.

M - Strong mouth-feel with high carbonation. Lingering finish with hops, malt, and alcohol.

Overall, a solid IIPA. Great aroma, and good flavor, feel, appearance, but doesn't have as much citrus character as I love in an IIPA. This brew isn't nice to your palate but if you like big, resiny, and complex beer I'd recommended it.

Glass- Tulip

3.11/5  rDev -18.6%

Seeing the mixed reviews of this beer,I was almost hesitent to buyit,but alas I did.Poured into a tulip glass a clear bronze with a fluffy one finger white head that never really fades completely.Hmm the hop aromas are a bit different,there is a resinous quality,but like a few others have stated there is a "meaty" quality to it wich is odd,also I pick up some leather wich I normally wouldnt find in a DIPA.wow the flavors are very odd,the Summit hop gives off an odd flavor,its gotta green leafiness to it and a weird kind of fruitiness as well,its a bit prickly and not fun to drink really.Hmm this is different in a not so good kinda way.

4.4/5  rDev +15.2%

Appearance - It's not often that I call something a "beautiful yellowish-brown" but this beer is a joy to see. The color is so delicate yet pure it's almost like a color you'd find in a good paint. The head was immaculate as well. It was thick and white, held up nicely, and left some great lacing.

Smell - This aroma is rank with pine resin. Someone told me that summit is similar to simcoe and although admittedly this is my firs taste of summit it is a lot more piney then the simcoe that I've had. Judging by the beer's color and the alcohol content I'm sure there's a nice malt base to this DIPA but all I can smell are these massive hops and boy are they a pleasure to the olfactory bulb.

Taste - The hops aren't even thinking about mellowing at the taste. This is a stank hop brew for sure. The malts come out a lot more on the tongue and they have a nice sweetness but this is all about the summit.

Mouthfeel - This is on the light side of medium-bodied but the thinness of the beer pairs well with the flavors. The carbonation is mild so I found myself drinking this potent brew in gulps.

Drinkability - If you want a new hop experience you have to try a can of Gubna. It is a huge hop-heavy beer but goes down easy and has a unique character. I can see how some maybe didn't like it because it's so different but I thought this was great.

Note: This is a strange score because I'm rating Taste at 4.0 but Drinkability at 5.0. I thought the hops and malts clashed a bit which is why I 4'ed the taste but this beer went down in gulps. It is so smooth and the hop dryness just keeps it going.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours golden, which I do love it when my pale ales are pale. Not much head.

The aroma jumps out with litter box and kind. Bitter orange.

Some biscuity malt comes through in the initial flavor. Indescribable things happen. Certain citrus fruits. Not too well defined, but tasty nonetheless. It slides across the tongue without any discrepancy as far as mouthfeel is concerned. It also drinks really easily for 10% abv.

I'm surprised this beer doesn't get higher scores. It's not the most exciting DIPA out there, it's very different, but it is solid. Worth a try.

3.27/5  rDev -14.4%

A huge thanks to Chris for throwing this in during a DLD trade as it's both a brewery and a beer I've wanted to get a hold of.

Poured from the can into a Duvel tulip glass.

The can opens without much fanfare which makes me question its carbonation. It pours an almost clear bright golden honey with a minimal white head.

The smell has an interesting unique hop profile and I don't think I've had a beer showcasing summit hops before. There are some mild citrus notes up front but then goes into a little bit of onionish smells. A distinct alcohol presence is also there, understandable for a beer of 10% ABV but I've had plenty of other DIPA's that hid their alcohol content behind strong hop aromas.

The hop flavor was surprisingly lacking. I was all geared up for a hop assault but it never came. The hop flavors that was there were more slanted toward a vegetale flavor. It's not a terrible hop flavor but not something I would prefer. The bitterness in the beer is very present as it should be at 100 IBU's and the nice thing is it's a smooth bitterness without a lingering aftertaste. There isn't much malt presence and I can't detect any of the rye or dark Munich used at all.

Mouthfeel is decent and despite the lack of pop when opening the can the carbonation is on the high side.

Overall there isn't anything terribly wrong this beer but the flavor profile just isn't hitting any high notes with me. I do appreciate how smooth the bitterness is though since that is one of the things that can win me over with a DIPA.

3.11/5  rDev -18.6%

well, I have to say, i was a little put off by the initial smell of this one @ first, kind of like a locker room @ half time... anyhow, being a big fan of deviant dales and g'knight, I managed... The taste was quite hoppy and had a hint of spice.. alcohol present, but not overwelming @ all.... the lacing could be read like a book, and the finish wasn't so bad either... I probably wouldn't buy this again, but I would buy all the deviant dales I could find... I hope that makes up for a not so great review...

3.31/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours into my glass a deep reddish orange with good clarity and two fingers of creamy bubbling white head on top. Aromas of weed, cat piss, pine and smidge of citrus. Kinda dirty/earthy in a way as well. Just not very enticing to me overall.

First sip brings brash hops upfront, weedy and grassy with a touch of citrus. Resinous pine notes abound. Caramel malt hints that don't really stand up to the wall of hops. Big bitter finish but overall I don't find the hop profile too be that enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit creamy, however there's a sugary slickness as well that I didn't really like. Overall, a middle of the road DIPA. I don't think it's horrible but it also doesn't leave me desiring more.

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%

One of the nice things about living in southern Maine is that you can take advantage of beers appearing in New Hampshire that have yet to make their way into Maine. Oskar Blues, for example.
This was one of the IPAs I had on New Years Day while I was planted on my couch watching bowl games. A nice enough beer, not outstanding.
In a tulip glass the beer was copper colored with a white head that left a bit of lace.
An outdoors aroma, fresh. Sweet malt. A little bit of citrus.
The taste was pretty malt forward, a little peppery. Grapefruit and a touch of pine.
One of the more malty IPAs I have had. Alcohol was well-hidden.

4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from the 12oz. can into a tulip glass.

The beer flows out a cloudy orange with a bubbly one-finger head that leaves lacing the length of the glass.

The smell is of grapefruit and candied fruit, a little floral note and a hit of booze.

The taste is, initially, a big bitter attack: pine and grapefruit pith with a shot of sweet candy in the middle and then a long, lingering, bitter drying finish. As it warms a bit, I can taste more of the sweet malt and rye. The booze is also a bit more obvious as the temp rises a bit.

The mouthfeel is smooth and a bit bubbly.

Overall, I quite enjoyed this beer. It's definitely big and bold but also packs a lot of flavor.

4.05/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Hazy orange marmalade, it looks quite good. Tiny foam bubbles cap the top of my shapely Unibroue glass. It's got a brown, curious murkiness to it, but the heady top to a shapely lil' DIPA proves quite becoming.

100% citrus Summit hop. The malts might stop short some of the pure sweet Summit smell, but again the alluring aroma beckons. Like a stripper smelling sweet and looking so hot under the neon moon, however, actually getting a taste isn't quite as good as promised.

Don't get it twisted, though, the beer is solid. Like that stripper, it still feels good. It ain't a high-class uppity show-off, but a basic and grimy American Double. It's the Gubna, a name I find so fitting. The beer drinks quite well, actually, and these canned melons serve the purpose and fit the bill. It's neither a malt-bombed imposter, nor is it a model-like sculpted Sculpin. It leans toward the latter, so the Gubna's worth grabbing.

3.36/5  rDev -12%

12 oz can. Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a medium creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet almost vegetal malts with an earthy stinkiness from the hops that is a touch metallic.

The flavor is sweet caramel malts with the same stinkiness (it is the smell personified) from the hops. There's a lot of bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, this beer is pretty strange. When I first had it on tap, it was much different and better. The hops were much fruitier and more resiny without the weird stinky earth notes (also described by people I'm with as "catty" and "armpit"). The last time I was there (Longmont location), it tasted the same on tap as it has in the bottles. I can only guess that there's a difference in batches, and I've heard that Summit hops can be unusual and hit or miss. It's very strange but I still kinda like it.

4.23/5  rDev +10.7%

Presentation: It was poured from a 12 can into a tulip glass. The can has the abv listed as 10.0% and on the bottom of the can it has a "canned on" date of 05-04-10 @ 14:21.

Appearance: The body has a hazy golden orange color with visible carbonation. From the Aggressive pour I got a tall, creamy off white head that has great retention and makes lots of spotty lace on the glass.

Smell: Its aroma is full of strong musty and citrusy hops with a touch of earthy tobacco and grainy/bready malt.

Taste/Palate: I get a strong full bodied hit of hops up front and throughout on top of sturdy grainy/bready maltiness. Up front the hops hit me with citrusy grapefruit like notes which turn dank, musty, earthy, piney and resiny with a slight tobacco like note in the finish. The alcohol is noticeable and adds its own warm character to the mix. Hop bitterness hangs on the tongue deep into the finish.

Notes: Once again Oskar Blues does it the can and I love it!

4.11/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

32 oz. growler filled this evening, poured into a NB snifter.

A - Pours a very light pale yellow-green, with a one-and-a-half finger head of dense, slightly off-white foam dissipating at a moderate pace and leaving a very well-defined ring of lace around the glass. A fine sheen of very tight, tiny bubbles coats the surface long after the head is gone. Held to a full-spectrum light, the beer is a vivid gold and clear, with a few columns of bubbles rising thru the center of the glass. Upon finishing the glass, lots of rich legs remain on the sides.

S - A pine needle sachet inside a cedar chest, with notes of sweeter citrus behind this that include mandarin orange and pink grapefruit. As it warms in the glass, hints of alcohol waft into the nose along with buttered toasted malts. The nose also become noticeably more subtle all around. For the last glass of the growler, you could have sold me that this is a dry-hopped Scotch ale. The only negative is that as it warms, the nose gets washed out.

T - Tangy citrus hops on the tongue suggest resin mixed with citrus that ride in on a blanket of rich light caramel malts. In the finish, there's a taste of orange marmalade sugars on whole grain toast surrounded by pine needles. This is definitely a beer where both the hops and the malts have been amped up and balanced quite well, creating a competition for attention by the taste buds that neither dominates. The 10% ABV is very well-hidden inside this beer - it drinks like a 6.5% and there's no heat whatsoever.

M - Surprisingly creamy in the mouth, the carbonation is extremely tight. Moderate body, with nicely integrated components. Finish is quite dry for all the malt in the taste - almost a pucker, and it lingers with echos fully across the tongue that are both and equally bitter and sweet.

O - This is a very well-made, very enjoyable brew. Rich, delicious, and nicely balanced, as a non-hophead, I greatly appreciated how the ying and the yang of the malts and the hops are well-paired with each other, with neither dominating and each complimenting the other. Highly recommended, especially for those who favor rich, malt-forward brews and want to venture into getting more out of the hops side of the equation. And with the higher ABV, it also makes for a great cocktailing beer with friends on the deck on a Friday evening.

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

The can pours a hazy golden amber body with a small bone white head. Decent retention and some scattered lacing.

Aroma is sharp and pungent. I get a dose of wild onions underneath grassy, herbal, and earthy notes.

Mouthfeel has a unique acrid bitterness that is disconcerting. Otherwise, medium in body and carbonation.

Taste has a sharp and aggressive hop bitterness that is almost medicinal. A hint of malty caramel is just an afterthought and does little to balance. There is almost a raw ginger character that takes your breath. Finishes dry, earthy, and rough. Alcohol, at least, is concealed very nicely.

Hops here are rough and raw. This one comes off as unsophisticated and nearly undrinkable. An interesting effort from a brewery whose other products I greatly enjoy.

4.32/5  rDev +13.1%

12 ouncer, $3.99/can(!) at Whole Foods Bowery in NYC. I can find no dating info, although one previous reviewer did refer to it. Pours typical lighter amber, with a slight grenish olive oil hue, off white head is tight knit, moderate in volume, then leaving a thicker film, medium collar and ample scattered and fine lace. Loads of pine hop goodness in the nose. Big and bold DIPA, pine hop notes continue to exert their muscle and dominate the palate. Nice addition to the OB line..wonder what is availability will be on the East coast. Hop heads seek out and enjoy

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

12 oz. can poured into a frosted pint glass. Kicked back and watched a movie...decided to jot down a review.

A - cloudy orange, lively carbonation, nice head that dissipates quickly. No noticeable lacing as others have seen -- could it be the glass?

S - Citrus and hops...Nice!!

T - Smooth, balanced, even tasting. No surprises. Nothing sharp, but very full...finished with a malt touch.

M - Smooth, bordering on chewy...but not really. Not overpowering, lingers a bit.

D -- Thank you sir may I have another...and call me a cab!

4.52/5  rDev +18.3%

Pours a modest half finger of egg shell colored head. Just a ring of lacing remains. I'd like a bit more head to start but it's 10% and I can forgive it. Body is a hazy orangy body. Smell is floral, fruity as it warms up, citrus, apricot peach. The smell is very complex and changes with every sip just about. Tastes very good, orange juice like, carmel, citrus. It is a party in my mouth. I can understand the onion some people taste but it's not detracting in any way. The body is full, light carbonation. A light hop bitterness on the finish, a touch of resin, but the finish is quite nice. I could have a few of these in a night. The 10% is barely noticeable in the taste. Overall a superb beer for me. The price at $4 a single is a bit much but I could handle it if I know its fresh. This on is dated "Canned on 4-1-11"

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: minimal head, clear, orange-yellow in color

Smell: pine hops and funk

Taste: pine hops, oregano--almost pizza like, and some other flavor--perhaps barbeque sauce-very interesting

Mouthfeel: light bodied, medium carbonation, funky with a slightly bitter aftertaste

Drinkability: This is about as different an IPA as I have ever had. I do want this again, but I am not sure if I would ever drink more than one in a night.

Thanks to exiled for sharing this beer.

The beer pours a clear medium yellow color with a white head. The aroma is orange and pine hops at first, with some resiny and catty hops showing up as well. The flavor is similar but the catty hops are much more dominant. The bitterness is about medium and the alcohol is fairly well hidden. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A nice DIPA, but at the price this sells for, I wouldn't buy it again.

4.23/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Serving glass: Poured from can into Nonic Pint.

Appearance: Light honey color with massive, clingy, stark white head.

Smell: Citrus, onion, marijuana and some herbalness.

Taste: Hmm, this is an odd one. Strong hop flavor, heavy on the onion, citrus and herbs. Malts are almost Barleywinish. Finish is spicy, boozy and bitter.

Feel: Medium to full bodied with relatively low carbonation. Smooth, creamy, oily and quite warming. Finish is nicely dry.

Overall: I know this beer causes pretty mixed reactions from people, and I can see that as it is odd. But I do like it, as it is somehow strangely balanced, as I have noticed for Oskar Blues beers in general.

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz can poured into an acbf tasting glass.

Pours a nice golden amber with a small white head that puts on some nice lacing.

Taste is great, the hops really aren't too strong but it's very drinkable and quite tasty. It's very light bodied and very drinkable.

3.97/5  rDev +3.9%

Gubna begins with the kind of aroma that is usually found in expensive citrusy soaps guaranteed to wake you up after the apocalypse. Massive grapefruit and pine flavors rise from the can, not so much gliding through the nose as whipsawing it. These are accompanied by notes of sour green apple, pineapple, and sour cherry.

On the tongue, the brew is intensely hoppy, and for several seconds the tongue is so overwhelmed by grapefruit and (mainly) pine that lesser flavors are quite literally undetectable. Even after the better part of a half-minute, the hops still dominate, and only slowly peel back to reveal hints of lesser citrus notes, including the aforementioned apple and sour cherry. And really, that's about all: this beer is just hops, hops, hops, even well into the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, while this is one of the more extraordinary and extraordinarily hoppy beers I've tasted, I can't recommend this to anyone who thinks something even as basic as, say, a Harpoon IPA is too bitter; doing so would be equivalent to finding someone who likes playing with rubber bands and suggesting they bungee jump off the Eiffel Tower. If you truly, and I mean *truly* love hops, this is your beer. If not, you will truly, *truly* hate it.

3.56/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Golden colored with a good inch of densely packed off white head. Brussels lacing. Intense aroma of citrus hops is present. The citrus hop flavor is at the forefront and yet is clearly backed by a strong light malt backbone. The mouth is a bit sticky and fairly carbonated.

to view more.