GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

GUBNA Imperial IPAGUBNA Imperial IPA

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).

(Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010)
dgrauwiler

Ryan011235

1.25/5  rDev -67.2%

Poured into a snifter on 5/3/10

Dated 4/15/10

GUBNA looks nice with a middle-of-the-road amber color (looks slightly faded in the light) & a creamy two finger head that offers about 50% retention after a few minutes. The head does get thinner over time; retention is ok, though. Sparse strings of lace.

Hmm...this sure smells odd. Odd & quite unpleasant. I suppose you could call it hoppy, but it's all astringent, industrial solvent that singes the nose. Short sniffs are barely tolerable & any time I try to get a good bearing it just leaves me with agitated nostrils. No lie, between the concentrated solvent & some noticeable alcohol this seriously seems like huffing fumes. It gets worse as it warms; with wretched undertones of schwag weed, onion, mold & sewage. Some yeasty bread notes hang in the back, the only thing smelling even remotely close to beer. This is horrible.

The taste is nearly as bad; the only thing it has going for it is being less potent than the nose & even that doesn't help. The most notable flavor is a numbing medicinal, solvent-like quality coupled with something rotten, musty & vile. There's hardly any proper bitterness, just a little dry, brash bitterness coming in toward the end. Instead, it's harsh solvent burn to the max. Lackluster notes of yeast & near-burnt sugars (caramel, especially) are prevalent; normally this would be disappointing, but I'll take anything to cut down on that blasted solvent nonsense.

GUBNA is somewhere between medium & heavy body. Carbonation is very low, which sure does make that rotten flavor stand out. I'm so happy; thanks for that, Oscar Blues. The short lived bitterness mentioned above spends most of its life span lingering on the finish but doesn't quite overpower the other garbage that wants to hang out with it. Ugh.

No, just no. This is terrible. A complete train-wreck, in my opinion. With the exception of the appearance, almost nothing fits the style; it doesn't even work if you think of it as any other style. I feel compelled to finish this out, but I've been contemplating a drain pour since the second sip. It's a chore to finish.

05-05-2010 00:12:59 | More by Ryan011235
JustEarl

1.25/5  rDev -67.2%

03-10-2012 18:36:34 | More by JustEarl
7ways

Georgia

1.35/5  rDev -64.6%

Here's the sequence: Pour, admire, swirl, sniff, raise an eyebrow, three more sniffs, scrunch up face, swirl, sip, swish , small swallow, spray rest on nearest wall, "ghaaahh, fuck!!!". Repeat until intolerable.

Smelled and tasted like the dirtiest, dankest, most poisonous marijuanamphetamine sauteed with leeks, tree detritus, and those big bright oranges that look like awesome but taste like awful. Mouthfeel: Creepy. Have you ever licked the end of a battery? Also quite resinous, like tacky Pine Sol. God it was so sticky, and almost chunky or grainy. I felt like I was going to start spitting out pieces of it. Aroma of cat piss for good measure I guess, but maybe a little more; like street cats were frequenting a disused mens room in an abandoned Mexican restaurant.
I'm trying to be as colorful as I can because words cannot describe the bizarre sensations this beer caused in me. That grainy quality combined with everything else... all I could picture the whole time was a litter box, it was like a bad dream.

07-13-2010 07:15:22 | More by 7ways
Jeffo

Netherlands

1.35/5  rDev -64.6%

A great extra from begbeerdrinker in our recent trade. Thanks for hooking me up with this ever polarizing brew!

From a can into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger medium looking white head with good retention. Perfectly clear amber orange or gamboge in color with zero carbonation evident. Head quickly fades to a wisp. Only a slight ring remains leaving no lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Wafts of onions and soap, with some hints of garlic thrown in for good measure. Solid aromas of window spray and industrial floor cleaner. Acid perhaps. I'm scared to drink this.

TASTE: Fears confirmed. Everything from the nose, but splattered all over my face. A soupy array of onions, garlic, and various varieties of soap thrown into the boil. Big flavors of industrial cleaners and an array of hair styling products. This is how I imagine acid wash jeans from the mid-80s would taste. Bitter, acidic, industrial strength aftertaste just won't die. I choked down four gulps of this, cringing and hitting my ears after every one, before passing it off to Drain. How do people drink whole cans of this? Do they drink it on purpose? My dad was sure to get in on the action before Drain.

PALATE: Medium body and carbonation. Plenty creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes crisp. Unfortunately the palate was strong enough to help showcase the "flavors."

OVERALL: This was awesome! I love me some polarizing brews, and this is probably the top choice in the country in that respect. Everyone should have a chance to try this. Colorado folk, make it your duty to send a can of this out as an extra in every trade. The rest of the world should have a chance to experience what I just have. In the end, they will thank you. I want to give a huge thanks to belgbeerdrinker for giving me the chance to give this bad boy a try. Cheers!

08-25-2010 14:11:04 | More by Jeffo
IPADAN

1.4/5  rDev -63.3%

A: Fairly clear orange like color with a nice fluffy head. Good lacing as head dissipates. Good looking beer.

S: Huh? Onion hop? Some garlic....possibly a little citrus however the onion flavor is way too overpowering. Awful smell.

T: Same as smell. Awful. Wow I finally met a hop I do NOT like....Summit!

M: Moderate carbonation...pretty smooth. Alcohol is present for sure.

D: I really had a tough time getting past the onion/garlic smell and taste of this beer. I have had MANY IPAs...my favorite style. Some bad IPAs. But never have had an IPA taste this awful. Wow. This is really terrible stuff. I am a fan of Oskar Blues as well...but just have no idea why they decided to brew this beer. Disgusting.

04-09-2010 14:32:55 | More by IPADAN
HopHead84

4/29/2010

A can split at the Pizza Port bottle shop, courtesy of Overlord. The beer is golden orange with a frothy white head, decent retention, and scattered lacing. The nose exhibits pine, grapefruit, and a caramel malt backing. Alcohol is evident, and there's an abominable onion presence. The taste is of grapefruit and pine with some caramel malt and a big astringent onion kick. The onion flavor is rancid. When Overlord went to look in the coolers I snuck over to the sink and poured the remainder down the sink. Avoid. This is one of the worst DIPAs I've ever had.

05-08-2010 01:01:15 | More by HopHead84
Arbitrator

1.4/5  rDev -63.3%

Chilled can into a glass. Tried for curiosity's sake.

A: Pours a clear orange-amber body with a finger of short-lived off-white head. The collar is quite thick and it leaves a patch or two of lacing.

S: Tangerine, grapefruit, and a floral/spicy note that reminds me of urinal cakes. Gah, this is another one of those. I can't stand this smell.

T: Tangerine, grapefruit, spicy onion, and old cheese. What the hell? I keep wanting this to be good but it's just so weird. Ick! This wasn't satisfying on any level.

M: Medium-full body with moderate carbonation. A little booze bite in the finish that accentuates the spicy onion quality. It's hilarious, this makes me want to cook fajitas.

D: I don't know what they were trying to do, but I think I can safely say it didn't work. Awful beer, and ridiculously overpriced. Living in CA, I don't see the point in giving it another shot when there are so many other competing DIPAs. Easily bottom-tier for the style.

04-08-2010 21:18:11 | More by Arbitrator
cokes

Wisconsin

1.43/5  rDev -62.5%

Paler than I expected, generally clear golden hued with a thick crop of stained white froth.
The nose hints at mango and pineapple, with a coarser, lightly spicy breadiness. This is all torn to pieces by the obnoxious, oniony, garlicky hop vegetal bitterness.
All's well at first in the mouth, with a static, bready, almost nutty maltiness. Some pepper up front as well. It migrates into mango and orange fruitiness, then the awful hop hammer hits. Cloves and cloves of garlic. Distilled onion skins with their exponential spicy, rancid bitterness. A groping and invasive body odor rankness akin to over-ripened Limburger cheese. Bitterness continues to grow, like a mouthful of chewed aspirin. The low-moderate amount of boozy heat actually provides a reprieve. But the offensiveness lives long post swallow, searing garlic, onion, and Limburger into the palate irreversibly.
Structurally, it's built as it should be: a fullish body fed by a trickling carbonation. The requisite plush, coarse and thick, yet seems more determined by the horrid flavor rather than the body itself. The structure is not the problem here. Everything else is.
The ten ounce pour was a task upon itself. This easily ranks as the worst IIPA I've had. Unspeakably terrible. You'd have to pay me to drink this again.

05-23-2010 08:28:16 | More by cokes
prg1976

1.45/5  rDev -61.9%

Can dated 1-19-11 so it may be beyond its acceptable shelf life...

Pours a clear amber-ish color, not much head.

Smells like sweet onions...the onions that grow in your yard, not the ones you eat.

Awful, nasty sweet onion-y taste. WTF, are they for real with this?

Took 2 sips to make sure I wasn't imagining the truly terrible taste, then down the drain it went.

Maybe someday, if I can't find anything else, I'll pick up a fresher can of this to confirm or refute the awful-ness. Wow, not good.

03-18-2011 01:30:12 | More by prg1976
birchstick

Colorado

1.45/5  rDev -61.9%

A - pours a light yellow color with a decent head that dissipates quickly

S - huge hit of onions with hints of BO and some citrusy pine

T - starts off with grapefruit hops with caramel hops that is quickly pushed aside by tons of onion, garlic, and some rotten vegetable. Pretty horrible, in my opinion.

M - decent body, but I swallowed quickly as I wanted this taste to stop

D - this was the definition of a drain pour in my opinion. I could only stomach a couple drinks of this before it went down the drain.

02-20-2011 21:18:42 | More by birchstick
ZAP

1.48/5  rDev -61.2%

A-Light orange...cloudy....small white head

S-Big garlic aroma...fuck...I could ward off vampires with this shit. Thank you Summit hop...underneath all the garlic is a little light citrus but hard to distinquish

T-Catty....garlic...onion...don't like this at all. Maybe some light citrus but again hard to note.

M-Medium to full bodied...not much bitterness on the finish or the taste really.

D-I'm not fan of Surly Abrasive as I think that has similar characteristics as this one but this is much worse. Probably the worst tasting DIPA I have had. Will never buy again.

04-28-2010 04:28:16 | More by ZAP

sliks96

08-31-2012 22:50:15 | More by sliks96
Murchmac

1.53/5  rDev -59.8%

Truly one of the worst craft brewed beers made out there.

Golden yellow, thin white head.

Floral and meaty smell. It does smell like pork.

Thick, meaty, hops way too bitter, boozy, sweet.

This is like a grain alcohol, hops, and pork slurry. Must be what pork soda is.

05-30-2010 20:36:42 | More by Murchmac
RichScherle

1.55/5  rDev -59.3%

A - rich and attractive amber with viscous character

S - eesh. very strange. very solvent like aroma - like nail polish remover, spray paint, or something equally unpleasant. An odd hop aroma too - like metal and garlic.

T - this was disappointing. Very solventy taste - like rubbing alcohol mixed with paint thinner. Doesn't taste natural - very odd. Hops only seem to add to the oily and phenolic taste. I will say - this is a totally unique brew but its unique in its awfulness.

M - a parade of chemical tastes makes the thick viscous texture unappealing.

D - no can do. not for me. And this beer was very expensive which adds to the let down

03-12-2011 20:25:43 | More by RichScherle
Beerlover

1.55/5  rDev -59.3%

as I poured this one from the can I could smell the hops and the clear golden color, with its 1 inch thick white head, it smelled and appeared to me that I was in for a treat. The treat started and ended there.
the taste of this is one of the worst ipas I can remember at least recently. the hoppyness was no were near what I would imagine for an imperial ipa certainly not one with 100 i.b.u.'s and there was an unmistakable sourness to it which sounds somewhat appealing to a guy who enjoys sours as much as I do but this was not a good sour, I find it hard to believe that this beer is supposed to taste like this, it must be infected. usually a can safeguards the beers and keeps it better and fresher for longer well the can didn't do any help for this swill, but it's not the can's fault. it can't make something that tastes and smells like rotting vegetables taste better or even ok for that matter.
all I can think about as I pour this down the drain is the 15 dollars I am also pouring down the drain for a 4 pack 12 oz can of this...how could anyone ever give this beer above a 3 rating, and how could anyone ever compare (much less call it "much better"!?) this beer to Founder's devil dancer one of the greatest and hoppiest ipas of all time!?!?! HORRIBLE!!!

03-21-2014 04:29:14 | More by Beerlover
deapokid

1.68/5  rDev -55.9%

Enjoyed (well... ingested at least) on 3/13. Reviewed from notes.

Liquid is surprisingly clean, with minimal head, lacing and carbonation. Neon yellow color and lack of haze are reminiscent of an army of faceless adjunct lagers. Unexpectedly dull.

Smells like aluminum, pepper, onion and tin. The aroma is far too savory, making for an unpleasant and odd stench.

Ok... the onion flavor is so overpowering and profoundly unpleasant that I'm almost beside myself. It initially opens with what seems like some pineapple and citrus notes, but before you can smile, your taste buds are smashed by an acrid, oniony garlic flavor. I'm left perplexed and mildly angry.

The mouth is smooth and the flavors aren't aggressively dry or bitter, but either is a nice turkey gravy and that's not something you'd drink by the glass.

I couldn't seriously believe this is what they intended to release. It was way too pungent and one-note to even reflect the traditional elements of the style. Drinking this was a chore and I'm certainly never going to try it again.

04-30-2011 18:29:18 | More by deapokid
JamnesCameron

1.7/5  rDev -55.4%

Picked up a 4-pack on a recent trip to Denver out of curiosity. Hang on for a ride. I've drank 3 of them so far, hoping that it gets better.

Poured into a snifter. Beautiful clear, golden color with a white head, tiny tight bubbles that don't last long, but leave a whisp of foam on top. This is to be expected from a 10% brew and this is the best part of the experience, IMO.

The aromas hit you with a punch. There is supposed to be "grapefruit bomb" aspect to summit hops, which is the only hop in this brew. And it's dry hopped with it as well. I thought maybe mine was off a bit, but after a little research on the hop, yep, there is a definite onion/garlic aroma to it as well. Well, not really "as well," but it'll punch you in the face first, then let the citrusy components come through - grapefruit, tangerine, a little.

The sips are as bad as the aroma. I like hops with grapefruit aromas and flavors, but the onion/garlic just overpowers the citrus. And there is something else there, that I haven't been able to label, some call it weed/cannibis (wouldn't know that one), but others call it dirt, weedy, and resinousy (pine?). I'm typing this up from notes from the night before, and I can still taste the onion/garlic. Not pleasant.

Mouthfeel is a little sticky. This is not a "dry" beer. But, again, this is to be expected from such a big, resinousy beer. A little grainy courseness, and astringency.

Drinkability is extremely low. I've got one more of the 4-pack left. I'm not sure if I want to try to choke down one more or use it in a BIF/trade for someone who loves DIPAs. Lots of A+'s on this one, God love you if you like it. But this one is not for me.

09-04-2010 13:08:16 | More by JamnesCameron
sevopie

Colorado

1.7/5  rDev -55.4%

Cloudy golden that's very close to piss colored, light off white head.

Skunky pine and moldy bread are most of what I smell.

Heavy pine with a touch of grapefruit and caramel.

Light and over carbonated.

I came into this with high hopes, as I love everything that Oskar Blues puts out, and was especially hyped knowing how good Gordon is. This was one of the worst disappointments in my beer drinking experience. I can hardly finish this single can, let alone the 4 pack I bought. This beer is way too unbalanced, and the flavors are not pleasant at all. The other cans may sit in my fridge for some time, as I am not impressed with anything about this beer.

03-23-2010 02:58:51 | More by sevopie
BeerMusketeer

1.73/5  rDev -54.6%

Love Oscar Blues. Could live on Dale's Pale and Gordon. Now this beer is something else. It is truly disgusting. Blue cheese was the first smell. It followed on the palette. It looks ok and the mouthfeel could be worse. But I poured three quraters down the drain, so I have to give it a 1 for drinkability. They let me buy one can only at the store, and for that I am grateful.

05-11-2010 19:47:38 | More by BeerMusketeer