GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

GUBNA Imperial IPAGUBNA Imperial IPA

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).

(Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010)
OneDropSoup

3.2/5  rDev -16%

Poured into a tulip pint: Clear, brassy body, a few slow-rising bubbles, under 2 fingers of lumpy white head that falls to a thick coating & leaves patches of lacing.

Smells a like a crate of grapefruit, tart & fresh, a "cool" smell, if that makes sense. Very refreshing, very subdued breadiness underlying. Nice.

Grapefruit is still there in the taste, but married to a light caramel & just plain syrupy sugar, plus a strong alcohol flavor -- too sweet & boozy for my taste. A lemon-tea presence develops after a while, making it more palatable. That bitterness still really lingers in the aftertaste & makes it heavy. Is there some hot cinnamon in there, too?

Medium-full-bodied, very dry & kind of heavy on the palate. Wears me out.

Another DIPA that smells great & tastes like an overly sweet, overly hot semi-mess. Not sure it's worth my sobriety, but I'd give it another chance in the future.

06-16-2010 22:08:26 | More by OneDropSoup
BeerisfoodLLC

Maryland

From a can to a pint glass:

A - Orangish in color, decent head for the style, nice lacing.

S - malty, citrusy, hoppy scents.

T - Solid malt backbone balances well with the hoppiness. Complex fruity tastes...watms the pallet, but alcohol not too evident.

M - Heavy bodied, on the light side of carbonation.

D - Pleasant beer for this style, enjoyed it.

06-16-2010 18:22:18 | More by BeerisfoodLLC
pwoods

1.85/5  rDev -51.4%

Thanks to Kels for the brew.

12oz. can poured into an imperial pint.

A: Pours a light orangish straw color with decent clarity. A finger or so of thick white head forms and holds at a fat skim for a bit. Decent lacing.

S: I definitely see where people get the onion or onion grass aroma, and maybe a bit of the garlic but I don't know if I would have thought garlic by myself. Still some citrus notes in the back. Faint malt sweetness. Dominated by the super herbal aroma. Interesting, to say the least.

T/M: I don't get hit with bitterness right away but it definitely builds and leaves a harsh lingering bitterness and almost a garlic like heat on the tongue. Not much citrus flavor. Malts come at me with an overbalancing sweetness. Body is medium full and carbonation is thick and creamy.

D: Not diggin' this one at all. Didn't even finish it and I can't remember the last time I could say that about an IPA/DIPA.

06-16-2010 04:45:40 | More by pwoods
spook75a2

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

This beer was canned on 4/19/2010.

Appearance: Admittedly, this is a beautiful beer; light shade of amber, almost a perfect mix of a yellow and orange hue, with a marvelous lingering lacing upon the beer mug in which it was poured.

Smell: My first smell my nostrils are bombarded by citrus zest, and pine followed heavily by what can only be described as body odor? Yes, the closest thing I can describe it to is the smell you are assaulted by when working out next to a sweaty, smelly guy. I don't know what would cause that, but my God, I can not get passed it.

Taste: Hoppy bitterness, followed by a smooth maltiness, and a slight sweetness that hits the side of the tongue, finished by a dose of wonderful bitterness. This beer tastes great, but the damned lingering smell and aftertaste of BO just is too much for me. I really want to like this beer.

Mouthfeel: Slightly thicker, but that is too be expected of such a high gravity beer. Not too terribly carbonated, but not flat; just perfect for this style of beer. This beer feels wonderful in my mouth and on my tongue.

Drinkability: If it were not for this odd body odor smell, tastes, and aftertaste I would adore this beer. Seriously, it looks good, feels good, tastes good, but is ruined by what has got to be a bad batch.

I bought this beer in a 4 pack from the Whip-In in Austin, Texas, and I can only assume that this has got to be a bad batch that is throwing off this body odor hop flavor. I can't say I am willing to try another to test my theory, which is a shame as I have absolutely loved all the other beers from Oskar Blues that I have tried.

06-16-2010 02:50:48 | More by spook75a2
vtfan77

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%

A- Light amber with an orange tinge. A semi-vigorous pour yields a nice white head that sticks around for a while and leaves lots of lacing on its way down.

S- Light and fruity to start out with. Citrus zest and a little pine come through at first with a good caramel backing. After the beer sits for a couple minutes, though, that garlicky aroma that others have been describing starts to come through. It's not unpleasant, though; just a bit odd.

T- The malt actually seems to come through first in the taste. It's quite sweet at first, but the hops soon take over. Strong bitterness led by pine sap and, yes, garlic comes through in the middle and leaves a woody, garlicky aftertaste with a good bit of alcohol to boot. Again, this isn't altogether unpleasant (although it may seem that way from the description), just kind of strange. In fact, it seems to work in a weird sort of way.

M- On the heavy side of medium. Quite smooth, almost a little creamy. It could actually use a little more prickly carbonation to give it some liveliness.

D- Average for the style. It's pretty heavy and clearly high in alcohol, but it's not overly harsh and it goes down easily. I'll finish the can no problem, but I don't think I'll be wanting more.

This is certainly a different sort of IPA. I guess it's the use of 100% Summit hops that gives it its unique character. I'm really not sure if that's entirely a good thing or not. It was definitely interesting and I'm glad I tried it; I just don't think I'll be revisiting it any time soon. It's worth a try if you're a fan of the style.

06-15-2010 21:46:54 | More by vtfan77
DmanGTR

Review from notes on 6/4/10.

Poured a nicely hazy tangerine with a thick opal head. Chunks of lace adorning the chalice. I was surprised by the strong citrus and onion-like aroma, perhaps a pungent smell of... urine? Um, I hope no one peed in my beer. The taste is just as weird. A strong metallicness melding with lots of grapefruit, a hint of pineapple, and... onions? Dude, this is quite odd. Onions and alcohol warmth. I'm not too happy with this right now, though I'm sure I can get used to it. A decently bodied beer with crisp carbonation. But I just couldn't finish a glass of it. Didn't know it was all summit before this too. I guess I won't be brewing with that type of hop!

06-15-2010 20:45:25 | More by DmanGTR
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

Gubna (can we even say that in any serious light?), is a solid Double IPA with a complex blend of citrus with also notes of onion, catty, and onion complexity.

The pour delivers a very clear deep golden, medium copper color. An initially formitable white head falls soon enough to a thin sheet but with good lacing. Where the clarity gets good marks, the head character lack somewhat.

Aromas of graham cracker sweet breads and spice proves very crisp and clean flavored while the hops provide the bulk of the flavors from early palate on. Heavy notes of grapefruit, orange zest, and pineapples are aggressively chased by earthy notes of onion, garlic, and nearly catty notes- some like to compare these Simcoe notes to canibus- fair enough. Still, the bitterness has the deciding factor of the beer; leading to a boldly and aggressively bitter finish. Only alcohlic paint thinner notes and alcoholic esters rival the bitterness late.

The moderate malty textures hold firm at first, but the beer's alcohols, bitterness, and minty quality causes a quick and fleeting finish. Nice but not the typical progression of great IPA's.

Gubna (I stil can't say that with a straight face), in the end is a graham cracker malted beer with earthy, citrus, and pungent hops. Alle leading to a alcoholic but muddled hoppy beer.

Thanks BrokenStv!

06-15-2010 03:52:49 | More by BEERchitect
Zorro

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Very low carbonation level.

An orange colored beer with a strong case of chill haze. Small white head forms and then goes away, needs more carbonation.

Smells strongly of funky, really funky hops. Scents of citrus and pine, onions and garlic! I did say these hops were funky.

Starts out slightly bitter with grapefruit and onion flavor, Summit Hops. Melon and pineapple but the onion and garlic dominate. Tastes like Green Flash Imperial India Pale Ale. Your taste for this beer is going to depend on just how funky a taste for hops you are.

Mouthfeel is good.

Drinkability is going to depend on your tolerance for Summit hop. Personally I like this.

06-13-2010 23:32:47 | More by Zorro
gameface23

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

Golden orange with nice clarity. Bubbly complexity. The smell is a mix of citrus hops and a slight grainy sweetness. Maybe I just don't like Summit hops all that much, but it just seemed a little one dimensional. Taste was similar, with a pretty chewy and oily mouthfeel. As far as DIPA's go, I would say that this is a very average beer.

06-13-2010 20:49:17 | More by gameface23
david18

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

My earlier bottle review:
I've been dying to try this beer ever since it came out and I finally found it at my favorite beer store. I used to think the Gordon was an imperial IPA but when they came out with this I noticed that Gordon's is considered an imperial red.

In any case, I like this beer very much. Great balance of malt, hops and alcohol makes it a very good double ipa. Dark golden color, good while carbonation, awesome citrusy aroma and the flavor is exactly what you want for the style.
---

When I had this on tap however I found it to be very intense on the alcohol and a little cloying for my taste. I'll try it again, but it's not the best beer for the summer.

06-13-2010 14:08:16 | More by david18
WeedKing4

Ontario (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

My first craft beer in a can! Pours a golden orange that looks crystal clear and sharp. Lots of little bubbles at first. Smells very hoppy and sweet too. Tastes of caramal honey with a nice hop bite and bitterness to it. Very smooth overall and the 10$ alc. what this is 10%? shit. I couldn't tell. Really enjoyed this one.

06-13-2010 00:43:58 | More by WeedKing4
GbVDave

Poured from a 12oz can into a 20oz imperial pint. Thanks to neubernie for the hook up!

CANNED ON
04-23-10 @ 11:04
GUBNA IS BETTAH!

A: Pours a clear, but just slightly chill hazed, bright orange. Sitting on top was a 1/2 finger wafer of eggshell foam that began to recede almost instantly, but not before leaving some lovely lace stuck to the glass.

S: Initailly, the nose was all Summit. A hint of tropical fruit shot through with pine and tangerine. As it began to warm I picked up a waft of caramel. Further warming brought out not so much the onion/garlic aroma that other people noticed, but more like an herbal cooked vegetable aroma with copious amounts of boozy heat.

T: See above. By the end of the glass I picked up on a bit of vanilla and cotton candy.

M: Starts off big and sweet with loads of sweet fruit and caramel. As the beginning leads into the middle a growing prickly alcohol presence plunges headlong into a full on boozy blast for the finish.

D: Suprisingly good considering how unmasked the booziness is. Nice, but balance the booziness in upcoming batches and watch the score rise.

06-12-2010 17:57:07 | More by GbVDave
Wetpaperbag

Washington

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Golden amber with a lose frothy clumpy head. Clear clean and crisp looking.

S- The smell is very strong with hops. The hops smell literally punches your nose. It is almost like smelling a bag of hop cones. I'm guessing either centennial or chinook. There is a bitterness that is there as well, you know the taste that comes from the end of chewing on a hop cone. That taste is earthy and grassy ultra bitter and nasty but good.

T- This is like liquid hop juice. I've had some hoppy beers, but this one is very heavy on the bittering and aroma hops for sure. This is a pallet wrecker for sure, angry hops style. This has a great citrus hop feel, but the hops are so over the top it is difficult to pick out the complexities the hops bring. Basically this beer tastes like chewing on a hop cone, bottom line.

M- Could stand to have a bit more carbination. All the hops are thrashing the taste buds, having some more carbination would help that out a bit.

D- Good, but the carbination could help this out more.

06-12-2010 04:31:09 | More by Wetpaperbag
superdedooperboy

Georgia

3.58/5  rDev -6%

12-ounce can poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a clear orange-gold with a creamy one-fingered cap of off-white foam that falls away to a thin cap, leaving behind some decent broken sheets of lace along the walls of the glass as it drains away.

Hops dominate the nose, with notes of citrus and a slight hint of spice and onion, evidently characteristic of the Summit hops used exclusively in the beer. Certainly interesting.

Medium-full in body with a moderate carbonation. A base of sweet honey-like malt opens things up before the hops take over entirely, filling the palate with spice, a bit of orange, citrus peel and, again, a hint of onion. Things dry out toward the back, and the finish fades with a lingering off-taste imparted by the hops -- again, likely related to that same onion-like flavor.

Overall not bad, but certainly nothing spectacular, and the hint of onion from the Summit hops detracts from the experience. Drinkability is hindered due to alcohol content and, again, the off-putting flavor. Interesting, and perhaps a lower price point would make this beer more enticing, but as it is, it's much too expensive for being so lackluster in so many areas.

06-12-2010 03:55:13 | More by superdedooperboy
jasonjlewis

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

pours a decent head. tan orange in color and very clear.
smell is of mango with a touch of onion.
taste has just a touch of malt sweetness. big hop bitterness and tropical mango. touch of onion detracts.

good carbination and body. the touch of onion detracts from drinkability.

06-12-2010 01:25:40 | More by jasonjlewis
brownbeer

Missouri

4.28/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours golden, which I do love it when my pale ales are pale. Not much head.

The aroma jumps out with litter box and kind. Bitter orange.

Some biscuity malt comes through in the initial flavor. Indescribable things happen. Certain citrus fruits. Not too well defined, but tasty nonetheless. It slides across the tongue without any discrepancy as far as mouthfeel is concerned. It also drinks really easily for 10% abv.

I'm surprised this beer doesn't get higher scores. It's not the most exciting DIPA out there, it's very different, but it is solid. Worth a try.

06-12-2010 00:39:30 | More by brownbeer
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%

This beer really looks nice. Pours a golden-orange colour with white head and lacing. Carbonation is spot on. This is the only part of the review that I'm sure of my opinion.

This beer is just strange. As soon as I poured it, I had a nice hop smell and was getting some pine. Then I get the onion/garlic that others are talking about. Same with the taste too. Some malt backbone, but the hops are just odd.

I know I love hops that taste like pine and citrus, but then is there anything inherently wrong with hops that taste like garlic and onion? Not sure how to answer this deeply philosophical question, but I just think the onion is way too overpowering. I can see hints of summit hops working in a beer, but 100% of it seems too much.

This is probably a well made beer and it could be exactly as the brewer wants it to be, but it just isn't working for me. I'm glad I got the chance to try it, but I think I'll pass on it again in the future.

06-10-2010 04:39:30 | More by kwjd
Shumista

2.63/5  rDev -31%

12 oz can into a shaped pint glass.

Gubna pours almost translucent golden orange with a white head. Deceptively it looks quite tasty, but don't worry the smell and taste will set you straight soon. Smell is no good at all. There is some hops, but also an odd cooked vegetable quality and some ethanol. Kinda like onions being simmered in vodka. The taste unfortunately follows the nose. There are glimpses of classic DIPA flavors (bitter hops, caramel malt backbone, etc.) but the cooked vegetables persist in a big way. The stir fried onions in my beer completely ruin this one for me. Sip after sip this flavor grabs my attention so that it's all I can think about. While the mouthfeel is actually pretty good, the drinkability suffers from this same fatal flaw.

This one really caught me off guard. Everything else that I've had from OB has been great so expected this to follow suit. I just don't understand how this one made it all the way to the can. Someone in the brewing process should have realized that the flavors here just aren't right.

06-10-2010 02:55:58 | More by Shumista
Bung

3.2/5  rDev -16%

Pretty solid orange/amber pour. A minimal amount of whitish head, laces the glass ever so lightly.

A fair does of resiny hops, strong pine, light grapefruit and wild onion?(like something I mowed over in a yard once) like smell.

Taste is a wild mix of spice, onion, spicy bloody mary mix and the standard pine, citrus and malt backbone. Ends up being a more of a mix between the malt and spice rather than the malt and hops. Strange.

A bit warming, alcohol is present but not overly so. Lively enough to keep the thickness down. It's the spiciness that makes this a one and done.

06-10-2010 02:44:55 | More by Bung
MeadGuyfromMD

Maryland

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%

A - Cloudy, gold color with tiny particles noticable. Off white head starts thick and remains mostly in tact til the end. Good lacing.

S - very hoppy, some citrus notes, but mostly I smell pine and a hint of sweetness. Maybe caramel.

T - Hops hit you up front, with piny notes to follow. There is a decent balance of malt, but the hops are dominant and there is a bit of astringency at the back of my tongue as I finish my sip.

M - A bit thick for an IPA, but for a DIPA about right. Appropriate level of carbonation, finishes a tad dry and astringent.

D - Pretty tasty brew, but between the 10% ABV and the mild astringency on the finish, I think I will stick with one.

06-09-2010 22:32:52 | More by MeadGuyfromMD
MrHungryMonkey

Nose is highly hoppy - floral, citric, pine. Very clean-smelling. Quite nice.

Pours clear dark yellow with moderate head. Looks good.

Flavor follows the nose with a nice malt base, a jab of alcohol, and a good bit of fruit. Tastes tropical. Quite bitter. Slightly hot alcohol. Tastes good. Feels nice. Good drinkability.

An appropriately hoppy Imperial IPA. Good job OB.

06-09-2010 00:33:44 | More by MrHungryMonkey
rfabian

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into a tumbler it produces a modest head and good lacing. The appearance is light amber and clear. The aroma is of strong citrus hops. The taste is dominated by the hops, a very strong citrus and grassy flavor. After a few quaffs my hop taste-buds stop screeching enough to detect a mild malt sweetness. The finish is clean and bitter with a medium body and significant alcoholic warmth.

This is pushing the envelope on hops. It tastes like they made a hop mash and threw in the lawn clippings for good measure.

This is a well made ale that the hop-heads are gonna love. For me it's a bit much, even as one who loves the hopped up brews.

06-08-2010 23:03:00 | More by rfabian
DoubleJ

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%

GUBNA sounds more like the name of a jellybean monster from a kids TV show. But for the beer drinker, a controversal DIPA. Which way will I lean? On to the beer:

Pours nicely into my chalice. This is a tint darker than orange, with a smooth, creamy head on top, albeit a little "low". Retention is mediocre, for the style. The aroma: well, there is some hop juice to smell, but also some spice...cilantro? Or maybe powdered onion. It certainly is different from the intense hoppiness one would expect.

This is going to be tough to grade. It's a little better than Gordon, and that's because I wasn't a fan of Gordon. But it's still not that great. The hops seems to hide under a blanket though. There are some amounts of resin and grapefruit, a little mlat sweetness, and yes, that famous onion flavor. Give your palate some time to adjust to your palate and you'll find this to be more appealing. The alcohol is warming, a little solvent, but is inserted well into the beer.

GUBNA doesn't grab my senses like other DIPA's, but its laid-back is a change from business as usual. Personally, for the money, I'd go for the hundreds of lower ABV beers on the market if I wanted a "laid back " beer, and I'd stick with Dale's Pale Ale in the Oskar Blues portfolio if I wanted a hoppy treat.

06-08-2010 06:24:32 | More by DoubleJ
htomsirveaux

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%

12 oz. can tried 22 May 2010.

Served in a Sierra Nevada shaker pint. Super large thick parchment colored head. Well carbonated. Clear golden orange color. Hop aroma is strongly of resin, moldering hay, sweet, with a touch of what can only be described as BO. Flavor is strong and can be charitably described as interesting. From aged paremsan to caramelized onions to onion rings. Sweet, mildly bitter finish. Ethanol seems less than 10%. Medium body. Odd, not bad but not good either.

Not likely to get again.

06-08-2010 03:30:57 | More by htomsirveaux
dogfishandi

3.1/5  rDev -18.6%

12 oz can at cellar temp poured into a bulb glass. canned on 5-4-2010 "the real cousin it"

pours a golden orange color, has some good clarity. big thick frothy 3 finger head that settled to a nice layer of foam. some nice sticky lace, and great retention.

the smell is kind of off putting. its very spicy and vegetable like. is hoppy, thats for sure, put its a whole different kind of aroma. very onion like. lots of strong fusil alcohol, exspecially as it warms. a little resiny pine as well.

the taste is a little more appealing than the aroma. the spicy vegetable onion flavors are the main player again. spicy, piney, and resiny hops too. a touch of a sweet caramel malt and spicy rye malt really struggle to balance things. has a very spicy peppery like burn on the back end thats very similar to a lot of chile beers. finishs with lingering bitterness and spiciness on the tongue. not the best mouthfeel in the world, really thick big body, somewhat boozy. kind of astringent. and really burns the mouth and throat.

one and done. took me awhile to finish even a 4 pack of this. i remeber the first one or 2 i had when i bought them a week or 2 ago where somewhat better than this last one. and there only a month old, so freshness may really be an issue. oskar blues makes great beers, but this, surprisingly is not one of them, i had kind of high hopes for this one, there was a lot of hype, but plain out dont like it. gordon is a way better ipa.

06-08-2010 01:18:07 | More by dogfishandi