GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

GUBNA Imperial IPAGUBNA Imperial IPA

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).

(Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010)
3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a clean orange-ish to yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, a mixture of hops and sweet onions. In the taste, sweet onions, hops, and a sweet malt. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry sweet onion like aftertaste. Big onion like flavor in the hops, but hides the alcohol.

OWSLEY069, Sep 10, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

Served from tap into an imperial pint. Poured a golden yellow-orange with a minimal white head. Maintained excellent lacing throughout. The aroma was comprised of green onions, garlic, hops, and malt. The flavor followed the nose with green onions, garlic, hops, and malt. It had a medium feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall this was quite an interesting IIPA for sure. It definitely had some odd flavors to it as compared to typical IIPA's I have had in the past. With that, I did quite enjoy this brew and will definitely be drinking more now that it is avaiable in my area again. A little more hop character would be great, but just a little bit. Definitely a must try for the experience.

thagr81us, Sep 09, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

Purchased a four-pack from the neighborhood BevMo (can't believe I just said that, hehe). Read enough about it, maybe even drank it when it first came to SF, but I sure as hell don't remember. This is can 3/4 and it's over due for a review.

Poured straight from the fridge into a wide mouth wine glass. It pours a very hazy gold hue with no head in sight. After a few swirls I dipped my nose into the glass and took the hugest whiff of thick, juicy, fruity hoppiness. I know the fruit aroma, but I can't quite identify it. It's very distinct and something I haven't smelled in a hoppy beer. It smells like and orange creamesicle shake.

First few sips are all earthy hops and some malt. The malt serves more as a means to help the texture. Not super carbonated and medium body ease the hop attack, but not take away from it. There ARE some malt notes, some vanilla/orange magic in there, but just barely through the hops.

I gotta put it brewery, they make a good DIPA. The malt doesn't interfere with the hops. It's balanced the way a DIPA should be: hops up front, malts playing the rhythm section.

100floods, Sep 08, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Gubna pours a crystal-clear copper color with a dense and billowy off-white head. The visible carbonation is assertive--rushing to the surface.

Hops pure and simple make up the aroma of the Gubna. Pure citrusy grapefruit with a "candied" quality subtly accented by contrasting malt sweetness.

The taste is big on the citrusy hops, but not overly bitter. The alcohol isn't so much sharp and biting as it is gently warming. The brew is extremely sweet with a near syrup-like taste and consistency. Slight roasted malt flavors.

The body is pretty thick, with a slick and resinous mouthfeel. Drinkability is good.

MrHassellYaHurd, Sep 07, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from a 12oz can into clear pint glass. Canned on 5-24-10. Paid $2.69 for a single at University Market in Corvallis, OR.

A-Poured a medium orange-amber hue with a one plus finger bone white head that receded too quickly and left only modest lacing.

S-Too one dimensional for a DIPA, in my opinion. The Summit hops deliver a nice grapefruit aroma, but they lack the bouquet effect of being joined by other hop varieties.

T-This was too bitter, and would have been better if slightly sweeter. Evidently the malts chosen only provided for the high ABV, not the flavor profile. Again, too one dimensional. About the best thing to be said is the 10% ABV is masked extremely well. Just too bitter, nearly gave me heartburn.

M-Is about right for style, just difficult to appreciate due to the one dimensional quality of this brew.

D-Just not good enough to make me want another now, or at anytime. From other reviews, this appears to be a love it or hate it type beer. Not for me.

velosuds, Sep 07, 2010
1.7/5  rDev -55.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Picked up a 4-pack on a recent trip to Denver out of curiosity. Hang on for a ride. I've drank 3 of them so far, hoping that it gets better.

Poured into a snifter. Beautiful clear, golden color with a white head, tiny tight bubbles that don't last long, but leave a whisp of foam on top. This is to be expected from a 10% brew and this is the best part of the experience, IMO.

The aromas hit you with a punch. There is supposed to be "grapefruit bomb" aspect to summit hops, which is the only hop in this brew. And it's dry hopped with it as well. I thought maybe mine was off a bit, but after a little research on the hop, yep, there is a definite onion/garlic aroma to it as well. Well, not really "as well," but it'll punch you in the face first, then let the citrusy components come through - grapefruit, tangerine, a little.

The sips are as bad as the aroma. I like hops with grapefruit aromas and flavors, but the onion/garlic just overpowers the citrus. And there is something else there, that I haven't been able to label, some call it weed/cannibis (wouldn't know that one), but others call it dirt, weedy, and resinousy (pine?). I'm typing this up from notes from the night before, and I can still taste the onion/garlic. Not pleasant.

Mouthfeel is a little sticky. This is not a "dry" beer. But, again, this is to be expected from such a big, resinousy beer. A little grainy courseness, and astringency.

Drinkability is extremely low. I've got one more of the 4-pack left. I'm not sure if I want to try to choke down one more or use it in a BIF/trade for someone who loves DIPAs. Lots of A+'s on this one, God love you if you like it. But this one is not for me.

JamnesCameron, Sep 04, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

My first pint of "Gubna" Imperial IPA happened during a recent visit to the indomitable Max's Taphouse, situated in the quaint cobblestoned streets of Fells Point - in Baltimore. It was perfectly poured into a 10-ounce snifter; there existed at the initial pour, a thick and gummy froth that crowned a foreboding body of dark rust, one which was surprisingly semi-translucent.

My nose was overwhelmed by intense wafts of pine cone and cherry - was it really cherry? The palate became inundated by a heavy blanket of biscuity malt that possessed a finish that resembled something on the cusp of wet rye bread and brown sugar. I finished the "Gubna," set down the lace encrusted snifter and quietly remarked, "Now, it belongs to the ages." What a quaff!

jjboesen, Sep 03, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Golden orange, flat head, clear. Quite average

S - Mild, faint butter, some citrus hops and crystal malt. Again, nothing to write home about.

T - It is hoppy but not DIPA hoppy in my opinion. Nice citrus hop flavor (lemons and grapefruits)

M/D - Medium body, nicely carbonated; maybe could use just a hint more. Semi-dry finish.

Was excited to try this one but I left it feeling a little disappointed. There is a nice balance of hop flavor and malt but I think it's a lot closer to an IPA in taste.

VaTechHopHead, Sep 02, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours gold with a solid head that dissipates slowly and leaves some solid lacing. Nose has tons of sweet fruit smells: pineapple, mangos, orange. Smells absolutely incredible, and actually reminds me somewhat of hopslam. Taste is also heavy on the citrusy hops: a lot of the same flavors found in the nose with a ton of hop bitterness. No malt backbone to speak of, just straight ahead hoppiness. Definite alcohol flavors that might inhibit drinkability somewhat, but still extremely tasty.

Baraka, Sep 02, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +1%

Appearance is a golden straw, a touch darker than Ginger ale. Smells like weed, straight up, some hops but mostly weed. I gave it a good rating for smell just because it's so damn unique. Taste is sweet malts, some hops and a bitter finish. Drinkability is way easy for 10%. A lot of people rag on this beer, but it's pretty damn good once you get used to/appreciate the smell. And no, I don't smoke weed but I like this beer.

Lukafer, Aug 31, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +1%

Poured into a tulip. Canned 5-04-10.

A. Pours an orangish amber with a creamy white head that dissipates slowly leaving ample residual lacing.

S. Citrus hops, caramel, pine, sweet malt background.

T. Strong citrus and pine hops with sweet caramel malt.

M. Medium to thick body with small bubble creamy carbonation that helps lift the bitterness of the tongue.

D. Very balanced for an Imperial IPA. The 10% is very well hidden under the hops and malt.

BeerAndBourbon, Aug 28, 2010

Pours a clear, light golden amber. Decent amount of head. Disappointing retention and lacing.

The aroma is something else, with some kind of hops delivering prickly pine, and cactus. Clean and herbal...almost like cilantro and parsley and green onion and industrial cleaner and...weed. Very unusual. Some grapefruit lingers beneath all the odd leafy herbal aromas.

The taste is like rosemary and French onion soup and baked cabbage. Bitter and then some. This is...so...what is this? A mishmash of fresh leafy herbs come to the fore backed by a creamy malt sweetness. Very spicy alcohol bite. Out of curiosity I went to Oskar Blues website and if this is indeed brewed with one variety of hop, then please give me a list of every beer brewed with summit hops so I never have to make my mouth this sad again. I'm so not a fan.

Mouthfeel is full, but the bitterness just makes me thirsty.

I love everything else I have had from Oskar Blues ergo what the fuck? And I really wanted to like this.

MeisterBurger, Aug 27, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

I've been waiting to try this one for quite some time, and I'm not disappointed. Pours a pretty clear, light amber/orange color with very minimal head. The nose is dripping with pine. There's also an orange citrus scent mixed with some sweet malts. The pine smacks you right in the face then the citrus comes in. It's more pronounced than in the nose. Heavy with grapefruit, then fading to oranges. Leaves a pretty bitter finish. I'm looking for the wild onion or garlic taste, but all I can discern is a hint on the aftertaste. Perhaps contrived, it is there lingering in the background. As you get through this, the hops mellow out and sweet caramel malts become more and more prevalent. Nice slightly syrupy viscosity and relatively low carbonation. Alcohol is quite absent in the taste...though I can feel a light tingle on the lips. I really enjoyed this and look forward to more of them in the future.

alkemy, Aug 26, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -31.8%

Poured a 12 ounce can into a Chimay goblet. Bottom of can reads:
Canned On
05-14-10 @ 13:59
Vote For Pedro

Appearance: Pours a medium caramel/orange with a 1-2 finger off-white creamy head which dissipates quickly. Decent lacing throughout.

Smell: Both sweet and bitter hops are obvious. Pine and grapefruit with floral notes. Very slight hint of onion.

Taste: Floral sweetness up front followed by pine and onions in the middle. Not a good thing, in my opinion. At the finish is a bitter hop explosion like I've never encountered. It is pure lemon rind and grapefruit but it is cranked up about three notches above anything else I've tried. It is a bit overpowering for my tastes. The aftertaste is typical bitter hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Pretty smooth

Drinkability: Low drinkability due to the overwhelming bitterness and lack of approachable flavor combinations.

Overall: I really wanted to enjoy this one because I typically like what Oskar Blues puts out but I just didn't. The bitterness and flavors do not compliment each other well at all. I'm a hophead and love high IBU beer but the bitterness doesn't work for me on this one.

adam42381, Aug 25, 2010
1.35/5  rDev -64.6%

A great extra from begbeerdrinker in our recent trade. Thanks for hooking me up with this ever polarizing brew!

From a can into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger medium looking white head with good retention. Perfectly clear amber orange or gamboge in color with zero carbonation evident. Head quickly fades to a wisp. Only a slight ring remains leaving no lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Wafts of onions and soap, with some hints of garlic thrown in for good measure. Solid aromas of window spray and industrial floor cleaner. Acid perhaps. I'm scared to drink this.

TASTE: Fears confirmed. Everything from the nose, but splattered all over my face. A soupy array of onions, garlic, and various varieties of soap thrown into the boil. Big flavors of industrial cleaners and an array of hair styling products. This is how I imagine acid wash jeans from the mid-80s would taste. Bitter, acidic, industrial strength aftertaste just won't die. I choked down four gulps of this, cringing and hitting my ears after every one, before passing it off to Drain. How do people drink whole cans of this? Do they drink it on purpose? My dad was sure to get in on the action before Drain.

PALATE: Medium body and carbonation. Plenty creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes crisp. Unfortunately the palate was strong enough to help showcase the "flavors."

OVERALL: This was awesome! I love me some polarizing brews, and this is probably the top choice in the country in that respect. Everyone should have a chance to try this. Colorado folk, make it your duty to send a can of this out as an extra in every trade. The rest of the world should have a chance to experience what I just have. In the end, they will thank you. I want to give a huge thanks to belgbeerdrinker for giving me the chance to give this bad boy a try. Cheers!

Jeffo, Aug 25, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +16.8%

A: Bright golden and hazy hue with a thick billowing consistant head--great retention and lacing

S: Citrus, grapefruit, onion and garlic sit on top of a sweet grainy quality--I actually find the spicy onion nodes to work well with the aromas

T: Wonderful spicy and pungent hop characteristics; citrus, pine, and onion; Know your onion! The sweet, candied alcoholy quality of most DIPAs is suppressed; the alcohol is actually very well masked

F: Great mouth feel; perfect carbonation

D: A really drinkable and delicious DIPA; I don't understand the criticism--this is a great beer!

dbossman, Aug 24, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a can into a pint glass.
a-Dark brown in the center of the beer with a golden color around the edge of the glass.
s-Very strong and hoppy upfront with a sweet after smell.
t-Strong, singular hop taste with a mild malt taste trailing.
m/d-medium body and bland for an ipa. There is no bitter aftertaste and there is more malt than I expected.

hughesm4, Aug 23, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

a - a bit of a dirty brown. it should remain in its can. :)
s - a noseful of pine, but in a very good way.
t - intensely bitter at the front with an entire forest, from pine needles to earth
m - huge! sticky! but perfectly balanced to the power hop action.
d - at 10%ABV, dangerously so...

...revolutionizing canned beer. huzzah!

simpliciter, Aug 22, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

A - Cloudy orange and dark gold body with a nice half inch egg shell head. Solid sheet of lace sticks to the glass.

S - Pineapple, green apple, and what can only be described as "marijuana grow room smell" with a faint sweetness of malt in the back.

T - Pine resin, grapefruit, bubblegum, wet grass hop GREATNESS. There is a slight solvency to the alcohol here, but at 10% that is understandable. The bitterness lasts from front to back, but clears instantly at the finish leaving my mouth puckered for more.

M - Big bodied, but not rich. Good carbonation with the alcohol warming the back of the throat and everything else behind it.

D - For a mouth ripper of an IIPA, this is actually enjoyable with many spicy Mexican dishes as well as seafood.

ectomorph, Aug 22, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Tasted from can purchased at Discount Liquors. Pours clear orange with a medium white head that slowly recedes to heavy lace. Nose is super intense hops citrus with some sweeter fruits and malt. Flavor is dominated by pineapple with some citrus and brown sugar malt, but there is something salty, briny, and weird about this. It reminds me slightly of pre-packaged lunch meat, not very enjoyable. Body is medium and oily with average carbonation and a long bitter and pineapple finish. The alcohol is very well integrated, but there is something off about this as well.

wedgie9, Aug 22, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

A big, full beer in a can. The best way I can describe it is simple:

Hop Syrup

Oskar Blues makes the best canned beers around my parts. I recently brought a 4-pack (of GUBNA) into the backcountry and chilled them in a high country Rocky Mountain stream. I believe that this is the way they were meant to be enjoyed.

Balanced (yet hard-hitting) bitterness with subtle amber tones highlight this full-bodied imperial IPA and it is quite fantastic.

Also quite enjoyable to have on the slopes.

jIsh, Aug 21, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

One of my absolute favorites when I'm looking for an big, indulgent hop bomb! Pours orange amber with thick golden highlights. The dense, pearl head holds its ground but once fades, leaves some substantial chunks of lace.

Rich, piney and resinous aroma. An explosion of sticky, hoppy goodness in the nostrils. Sharp citrus and bright herbal tones along with peppery greens. Some understated honey drizzled muffin and a hint of booze.

Again, a big hoppy smack in the chops. Thick and lush. Resinous and sticky as the nose suggested. Pine and floral herbs. Fresh, green juiciness with citrus and tropical fruit. Tangerine and ripe pineapple. Strong, lingering bitterness. The biscuity malt sweetness seems like a flash in the pan at first but upon closer consideration it becomes more relevant that initially detected. It manages to provide some substantial balance, and after warming a bit, releases a nice buttery, honey note.

Bright and crisp up front with an obviously assertive bitterness and carbonation level. Sizable body and definitely a warm, big beer to be sure. Scary high in the drinkability department! Spoken like a true hop head; I could down quite a few of these jewels. The booze doesn't show up like its 10%, especially not at serving temp. Moral of the story: if you drink fast enough, you're in trouble.

letsgopens, Aug 21, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Picked up a single in one of our many recent trips across the border to Wisconsin. Have been waiting patiently for the singling of the brew; the steep price tag was a touch alarming.

Pours on the orange side of the IIPA spectrum with actively racing carbonation. The smell temporarily numbs my olfactory factories, forcing me to put the glass down & breathe deeply for a few minutes before trying again. Nope, no good. Hops. Great!

GUBNA wakes up the palate with a bitter, biting does of red onions, bringing tears to my eyes. Rye bread comes hard on its heels, & only then do the hops put in an appearance, more bitterness evens out this wild event. Strangely, although I don't dig onions, this is pretty good stuff & the alcohol is hidden like a good geocache. Once one gets over the freakishness.

Good brew. Stands out as startlingly unique among IIPAs, whether intended or not. That flavor profile...wow.

maximum12, Aug 20, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -45.4%

I wanted to like this more. I love this brewery and what they do, but it seems as if this follows along with a disturbing "too thick, too sweet" trend. The appearance is nice enouugh, despite the fact that even a 'glug glug' pour results in very little head. It's orange and hazy and that's what counts. A nice hoppy aroma devolves into a too-sweet mess with an onion-y character that totally overwhelms the nice initial hop presence. Bizarre for the style, particularly because of the mouthfeel, which is as thick as the Old Chub and Ten Fidy but in this case, totally inappropriate for the style. As a result, the drinkability downright suffers. I barely wanted to finish this one. Sorry for the paragraph-style review, but I typed it on my mobile phone.

mfunk9786, Aug 18, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

can sample- pours light orange with good clariy. Robust off white head and soapy lacing. Nose- syrupy sweet, pine and onion. Taste- thick resiny hops, sweet cookie dough malts. Finishes with a significant amount of booze hotness and asprin like dryness. Drinkability suffers from the hotness

oakbluff, Aug 14, 2010