GUBNA Imperial IPA - Oskar Blues Grill & Brew

GUBNA Imperial IPAGUBNA Imperial IPA

Oskar Blues Grill & Brew visit their website
Colorado, United States

Availability: Spring

Gubna was bred from Oskar Blues Brewery’s hankering to confront 100+ IBUs by cranking up the complexity of hops by pouring Cascade on top of copious amounts of Summit, then balancing that with a backbone of German Dark Munich Malt and Rye Malt. GUBNA’s post-fermentation dry-hopping with both hops allows this monstrosity to gently coax the citrus rind and grapefruit aroma while providing a rye malt-induced, spicy-yet-round middle, and a brisk, clean bitter finish (10 percent ABV, 100+ IBUs).

(Beer added by: natelocc787 on 01-15-2010)
3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Pours a hazy amber color with a small white head with some retention and no lacing.

S: A faint amount of citrus hops, not what I expected. There are some vague caramel and bready malt scents, but the citrus, although not overly intense, are the most predominent.

T: After smelling the beer, I was wondering if this beer would disappoint. THe taste was quite balanced with ample amountsw of citrus hops and a malty backbone.

M: A nice medium body beer with a fair amount of carbonation.

D: A nice offering from Oskar Blues. This is definitely deserving of a try but the high ABV makes this a one and done for me.

IronCitySteve, Jul 05, 2010

12 oz can poured into a river horse shaker

Appearance and Smell - Pours a dark gold orangy color with to my surprise a bit of cloudiness (yeast?) with a white head. Laces pretty well and the head has impressive retention given the alcohol content. Smells very citrusy with some piney too. i dont get the rye or the onion smell that so many people talk about. That being said the scent doesnt blow me away in any order of magnitude. in fact its quite subdued from what i expected for it.

Taste and Mouthfeel - Tastes a lot like it smells but the rye finally does make a showing here, still none of the fabled onion however. Oh wait...there it is. Im not sure onlly summit hops were the best choice to make on this beer but its unconventional all around so i guess it makes sense in that respect. Overall im really disappointed with the way this beer tastes. maybe its not as fresh as possible (i dont know the canning date) but my expectations were not met. It is far too subdued in the hop department and the malts are just too sweet for an IIPA. The mouthfeel is a bit too syrupy for me and the carbonation is a touch too low for my tastes. It does leave a nice bitter finish on the end that lingers from one sip to the next. The alcohol can also be felt in there too but for 10% its not rocking around like it does in other beers.

Drinkability - This one is without question a sipper for me and I think one can is plenty for one sitting.

Other Notes - I'm very disappointed with this. I expected a hop bomb in a can and was instead greeted with a decent bitter kick and some citrusy flavors far subdued compared to my hopes. I probably wont buy this again especially because of the price. Were the cans more reasonable i might be more inclined to give this one another shot.

Rguardian989, Jul 04, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Vigarous pour into a shaker pint, light amber color, 1.5 finger pure white thick head. Decent retention, but no lacing.

S- Mostly citrusy hops, but fairly muted overall. Some toasted grain aromas stick out rather prominently, as does another smell that I can't quite place...Faint whif of stale cold coffee?

T- Good malt complexity up front, with nicely balanced toasted flavors. Hop flavor is rather mild, but bitterness is quite firm and bracing. Overall, it is well balanced, and drinks more like a good pale ale than an IIPA.

M- Jesus... like a BP oil slick.... Heavy, greasy, and covers everything.

D- Shockingly high. The best/worst part about the beer is how well it hides it's 10% ABV.

Overall, pretty good, but not great by any means. I feel that Gordon was a FAR better DIPA. While I very much appreciate the balance and restraint here, especially considering the ABV and mouthfeel, along with the fact that it is not sweet at all. It's well crafted, it tastes good, it's balanced... but that's not why I drink DIPA's. Overload me on hop flavor and aroma. Singe my taste buds. Help it live up to the double moniker. Give me something with the hop presence of Gordon, but the dryness and mouthfeel of Gubna. You figure that one out, and you've got a real winner.

phisig137, Jul 02, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: Cloudy orange, ok head.

Smell: Mild citrus, not as strong as a DIPA should be.

Taste: Lots of sweetness, resiny citrus, not overly bitter, quite balanced flavor (for a DIPA).

Mouthfeel: Very thick feel.

Drinkability: I would have again. I like the 12oz cans, don't like the price though.

Took a shot with a single can of Gubna. I was cautious going in due to the summit hops, which I really disliked in some other beers. However, I didn't get the onion/garlic flavors from them here--I thought this was a solid DIPA with good balanced sweetness and bitterness.

Mdog, Jul 01, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from the can into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. I've had this brew a couple times in the past on draft but never really reviewed it.

A - Orange-gold body with a small white head.

S - This is a very distinct beer, if you lined up a dozen other DIPA's in front of me I am almost positive I could pick this one out of the lineup based on smell alone. Has a grassy smell with hints of onions and garlic. Also very much reminds me of pot.

T - The taste very much follows the smell. It has a good grassy hop flavor with hints of garlic and onions. Very resiny flavored. Nice bitter bite in the end that starts out piney but finishes with an herbal hop flavor.

M - medium body with a fair amount of carbonation and a slightly sticky mouthfeel.

D - Interesting beer. Unlike any other I have had. I don't think I would want to drink this often but it is a nice change of pace from other DIPA's. I would recommend this to any fan of DIPA's in a heartbeat. I would drink this one again if I was in the mood but I would not go crazy trying to get more of this unless I was really jonesing for it's flavor.

jpmclaug, Jun 30, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from can to tumbler.

Appearance - Poured with no head, just a bit clinging to the side of the glass in a ring fashion. Very pale golden yellow that is totally translucent.

Smell - Smells incredibly of rye and smokey meat? A bit of piney hops maybe in the end and a small kiss of caramel sweetness. Overwhelmingly smells like spice and rye.

Taste - The taste is smokey rye malts with a tiny bit of fruity hops. Lots of earthy and spicy bitterness come through, some i'm sure is from the rye. Finishes caramel sweet and resiny sticky bitter at the end all at the same time.

Mouthfeel - This beer is super sticky and against what the head gave me a good amount of carbonation. The weight is just right for the style. I love the stickyness.

Drinkability- Fairly decent, I would attempt a second can worth. This beer is definitely different though.

cvaypai, Jun 30, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a hazy dark golden color with a thick frothy off-white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a nice citrus hop scent along with some subtle hints of rye and bisquit malts. The taste is decent as well. It's incredibly complex with loads of hop character and a serious malt bill. The rye is very pronounced. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This isn't the best DIPA out there. It's malt forward with tons of complexity. I prefer one that's not too heavy in the mouthfeel. Overall, not bad.

WesWes, Jun 29, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

From a four pack gift from a friend.
Always interested in trying anything from Oskar Blues.
My first response to this can is that I was reminded of an amped up Dale's Pale ale. The hop character is bold and unapologetic without being a bully. The flavor profile is clean and straight forward. Good citrus character in the hops with mild, light artisan bread body.
Well balanced and deceiving alcohol for a 10% brew.
The price point for this fellow is a bit off-putting. At almost $4 a can the impact of the brew didn't quite make me say it's worth it. Given the flavors, for very similar money i could have two six packs of Dale's for the price of one four pack of Gubna. Still I can't fault the brewing. I intend to have a taste test between this and Gordon. While I didn't get to have Gordon in a can, I recall that on tap it was delicious.

ommegangpbr, Jun 28, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured a can into a pint glass. A very slightly hazed amber color, thin head is a few shades off of white. No lacing, and really just a few noticeable bubbles.

Pine and citrus-spice hop aroma, kinda dank and earthy. Dank can be good huh? Really nicely balanced and complex in the nose. Taste is of citrus and piney spice, again, damp and earthy. Alcohol warmth in the middle, bitter and warm finish. Nice overall effect. Despite the warm alcohol this is a great drinking beer. Could easily creep up on someone who was unsuspecting.

Big body, a smooth sweet malty feel that dries a bit from the alcohol and hops in the end.

"Liquid Phish concert"

ZimZamZoom, Jun 27, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

A: amber, semi-clear, very good head (the can helps in the carbonation dept!)
S: very hoppy, fragant, with a hint of Irish Spring
T: dark, husky, flavorful, ful of hops. There is a slight tinniness to this beer, however.
mouthfeel is very good, and I would like to have another, which is a disappointment since I bought only one can. :(

Arithmeticus, Jun 27, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks to my great BA friend Jdostal for this offering!

Poured from the can into a clear pint glass. The bottom of the can said "Allow myself to introduce myself".

A - Poured a cloudy amber in color topped by a thick foamy eggshell white cap. Nice head! Head retention lasted forever and left a very nice lacing.

S - Very citrusy hops are followed by just the tiniest hint of caramel malt sweetness. This smells like it's gonna be a hoppy little number!

T & M - The hoppiness I smelled in the nose is in full force, but there is a slight onion taste toward the back end. I thought I tasted it and looked at some other reviews to confirm what I thought I tasted...sure enough, I'm not the only one tasting this. Onions? Really? Mouthfeel is rather creamy, and it finishes with a bit of hoppy aftertaste. A bit of alcohol warmth appears as it warms.

D - This selection from OB is kinda out there. Not sure if this onion thing is intentional, but aside from that, it is a solid brew.

drizzam, Jun 26, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

12oz can poured into an acbf tasting glass.

Pours a nice golden amber with a small white head that puts on some nice lacing.

Taste is great, the hops really aren't too strong but it's very drinkable and quite tasty. It's very light bodied and very drinkable.

kingcrowing, Jun 26, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

God these reviews are soo much lower then i thought they would be after trying this for the first time last night. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consume on 06/25/2010.

The pour is a nice deep amber color with a good amount of carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass. Nice head of white sitting on top for a good few moments. Aroma is deep an pungent pineapple and grapefruit. Very sweet an juicy, like the new 110k. Succulent hop flavors and rich juice like profile combine to forma thick, sweet, uber hoppy sensation that was simply stunning.

Nice light finish with long lingering flavor is superb. i plowed through this can in no time, simply an amazing beer, nees to get more credit.

mikesgroove, Jun 26, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Has it really been over five months since the last time I've reviewed a beer? Holy crap.

12oz can poured into a pint glass. Canned on May 24, 2010. "Dave's not here," says the time stamp.

A: Copper-colored body with a decent size white head. Minimal lacing.

S: Pine and citrus. Just what you want from an IPA.

T: This is where things start getting weird. There's plenty of citrus, but there are also strong notes of garlic and onions. Combined with the spicy malt, it's kind of like drinking pasta sauce. Extremely bitter. Alcohol is highly noticeable.

M: Slightly syrupy, not too heavy.

D: I don't quite know what to make of this. I wouldn't quite say that it's bad, but the off flavors definitely detract from the overall experience. In the end, it's nothing I'd go out of my way for.

BarrelO, Jun 25, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -7.3%

poured from can into a tulip. it is clean golden color with a very small amount of white head.

smell is pungent onions and some citrus. the taste follows the smell exactly. lots of bitter onion flavor up front. some grass and citrus notes in the background. the bitter onion flavor lingers after a sip. this makes me realize i'm not a big fan of summit hops.

mouthfeel is smooth and exceptional for a double ipa. not overly thick or weighed down by malt.

feels smooth while drinking, but the overpowering nature of the big dose of summit hops really detracts from the drinkability

pdoran10, Jun 24, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a slightly viscous peachy-gold hue, with a sticky white lace. Sweet aroma of candied tropical fruit, with a hint of that earthy/onion-like note everybody is complaining about. I don't get too much of it though. Starts off with caramel sweetness up front, with a zing of citrus rind hops in the back. Interesting tropical fruit flavors from the hops integrating with the esters from the heavy malt. Slightly chewy body, a little sticky. Nice flavors but I find this one a little under attenuated, my most common complaint with these huge DIPAs. Its just too sweet to allow the hops to really shine, which results in an unpleasant cloying in the finish. Definitely won't be paying over $4 for another can of this.

bcm119, Jun 24, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

12oz maroon and silver can. "Carefully Canned on 04-08-10 @ 09:02 Is this thing on?" stamped on the bottom.

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Beautiful looking beer, nice thick creamy off-white head leaves lots of lacing. Hazy golden/orange-pale amber.

Nose: Ya know, there's something about Oskar beers that I just don't like and it manifests on the nose. Something made about a hop variety...I don't know. Anyway, dry, leafy hops dominate and pale pale caramel underpin.

Palate is medium-bodied and not overly bitter. There's that thing again! I keep thinking seaweed, but that's not quite right. Pale malt, lemon rind, a quick note of licorice (both red and black) and then some tarragon hops.

Notes: Good beer. Not my favorite impy ipa, but damn good and it's in a can for god's sake! Rock.

SFLpunk, Jun 23, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce can sampled from a standard pint glass.

Pours a hazy straw color...very little head.

Aroma is of tart fruit, pine, strawberries, grapefruit...some severe hops in the mix here...incredibly overwhelming.

The taste is incredibly astringent...those hops are doing their job. Tastes of pine, grapefruit, tart berries...the alcohol is very present in this one, I can feel it creep up on my breath each time I speak.

A very creamy mouthfeel...velvety, and astringent. The hop presence is so overpowering here. The taste lingers a long, long time...a very chewy, bittersweet ale. As it finishes, it leaves an astringency across the palate...this is a taste-bud killer!

Overall, Gubna is an excellent example of an imperial IPA. It's strong, and overly hopped...giving it a sensational aroma and flavor, but making it less drinkable and one that should be shared with friends.

movingtrain, Jun 23, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

A - A burnt golden-orange body with a small, creamy head...the head didn't stand tall for long but became spotty...some decent lacing

S - The hops are very strong producing aromas of grapefruit and some pine notes as well...traces of alcohol

T - Hops again are present throughout the entire beer...they are bitter but a touch of sweetness comes out up front...the malts are too apparent because the hops are out full force...the alcohol flavor makes the beer pretty hot and it adds to the finish...which isn't a good thing

M - Medium bodied...the nitro adds some creaminess but the alcohol and bitter, oily hops take away from the finish

D - Besides being 10% this beer had a definite alcohol present and not much malt backbone to take away from the bitterness

thain709, Jun 22, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured nice with a decent head and left some sticky lacing. This smelled great to me! Loads of fresh hops, decent malt backbone and floral sweetness that I love in an IPA. This is a nicely balanced IPA with a lot going on flavor wise. I got the obvious sticky pine resin and then balanced out with decent maltiness, sweet fresh flowers, anda bit of honey. It did have a bitter aftertaste but that was not entirely unexpected and was my only negative comment. Great smooth mouth feel, I may only have a couple of these at most but very drinkable.

thepeter, Jun 21, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -6.8%

I hesitated buying this beer because I felt $3.69 for a can or 13.99 four pack is overpriced. Then I decided it is less than stopping @ the brew pup so I poped for 1.
A- pours a golden amber with 1 finger white head. Lacing stays as head fades.
A- Hops is front note with an unidentifiable middle note finishing with a sweet malt smell.
T- Hops firts odd unknown malt and then grapefruit finish.
M- Medium to light mouth with good carbonation.
D- drinkable. I really like DIPA style beers, however this isn't one I would go out of my way to buy. In fact I probably won't buy it again. I'd rather have a pliny or even a conductor.

chileman13, Jun 20, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -31%

Notes-12 oz to pint

Look Orange redish glows and has a thick look, light white head

smell: weed, im not talking dandelions, very strong grapefruit but more of a pot sticky weed. slight lemon, but really smells like if snoop dogg made beer.

taste: wtf? its hops yes, and i notice the bitterness but its all liquid pot beer to me. a little grapefruit. I dont understand it doesnt seem like a imperial ipa, more of a herb beer or even a energy malternative. In fact it taste like a can of green 'tilt' with hops added.

Mouth, sudsy, doesnt feel to bad.

Drink: well I didnt really like it overall and wouldnt want to drink it again. There was a lot of hype about this, maybe this one was bad? Dont know but I had to chug this glass down.

Elimination, Jun 20, 2010

A: Soft amber, rocky off white head, sticky lacing

S: Citrus hops.. but more skunky and herbal. Single summit hops almost have a "stench" to my nose, but I find it almost intoxicating.

T/M: Hops remain citric but also floral, much like skunky cannabis. I detect what appears to be onion or scallion but I find it more interesting and unique rather than offensive. Bready malt is not shy to reveal itself. Finish is of grapefruit rinds. Thick, oily, resinous. It seems somewhat raw in comparison to many IPAs.

D: 10% catches you off guard, it is well masked. GUBNA is a different sort of IPA with a flavor profile that is a challenge to many and a joy to some.

zoolzoo, Jun 20, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a clear amber with a decent eggshell colored head that falls to nothing after not too long. Nose is a tight pine tone. Flavor is...a bit unusual for the style, I think. A bit earthy and rough on the aftertaste and slightly stringent. And there is a bit of an unpleasant alcohol burn on the end too that stays in my mouth as an aftertaste. Seems a bit wrinkled and needs a run through with an iron to straighten things out a bit. Which I guess sums things up for this beer in general really. Not entirely a miss, but could've and should've been a whole lot more.

RblWthACoz, Jun 20, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Thin cream white head, barely gets to half a finger, not much retention either, lacing slightly above average. Very cloudy with a warm glow, offers a light orange to yellow hue, even with strong translucency you can see many active bubble beads. No lack of grapefruit, orange citrus in the nose, however, most marked by peat moss and lichen sort of scrub notes, charcoal ash and then scone to biscuit breadiness, followed on by golden raisin, peach, apricot scents, pine and honey, sweetens as it warms. Medium-bodied, the carbonation comes off a bit too "fluffy" as if masking the lack of natural heft. Loses a lot of the herbal dimension here, milk chocolate and vanilla pair up with the tangerine, pink grapefruit citrus for a sherbet like mix. Biscuit to corn bread more than "bready" per se. Pine tar like the resin on a baseball bat. Lacks substantive hop bite but avoids slouching. Interesting to try but doesn't make you yearn for more, methinks its reach exceeds its grasp.

farrago, Jun 20, 2010